Copyright: June 1999 By The Fairy Queen

THIS STORY IS WRITTEN FOR PLEASURE AND IS NOT INTENDED TO INFRINGE ON ANY PREEXISTING COPYRIGHTS THAT MAY BE VIOLATED. FEEL FREE TO SHARE WITH FRIENDS, BUT NOT FOR PROFIT.

THIS STORY IS FICTIONAL, A WORK OF THE WRITER'S IMAGINATION. THE CHARACTERS AND INCIDENTS USED IN THIS STORY ARE PURELY FICTIONAL AND ARE NOT BASED ON ANY PERSON AND/OR PERSON'S ACTUAL EXPERIENCES.

Title: Crossroads

Author: The Fairy Queen

E-mail: devilwmn23@aol.com

Rating: Slash

Pairing: Roy/John

Archive: Yes

Summary: This is the third story in the So Much to Say Series, and follows "So Deep in My Heart" and "Dreamcatcher". You do not need to have read those stories for this one to make sense. Johnny and Roy are forced to deal with the fallout after their real relationship is revealed to the rest of Station 51.

So Deep In My Heart 3: Crosroads
by The Fairy Queen

Come on baby let's get out of this town
I got a full tank of gas with the top rolled down
There's a chill in my bones
I don't want to be left alone
So baby you can sleep while I drive

You know I've seen it before
This mist that covers your eyes
You've been looking for something
That's not in your life
My intentions are true
Won't you take me with you
And baby you can sleep while I drive

You Can Sleep While I Drive
Melissa Etheridge


~~~~~~~
"Roy, watch out!"

At Johnny's shouted warning, Roy half-turned, instinctively throwing up one arm to protect his face even before he knew what it was he was protecting himself from. A large flaming chunk of the old building's collapsing ceiling hit him, and he staggered. His upraised arm and helmet deflected most of the debris, but a spray of sparks showered him, some of them dancing down the
collar of his turnout coat.

Roy dropped the hose he was holding and twisted and flailed, trying to get the cumbersome coat off. Suddenly Johnny was in front of him, pushing his hands away and undoing the fastenings for him, pulling the coat off his shoulders. Then he was leading Roy outside, away from the dense smoke and crushing heat of the intense fire inside the abandoned greeting card factory.

Outside, Johnny gently pushed on Roy's shoulders, urging him to a seated position on the back of the squad. He removed his partner's breathing apparatus and gazed into his clear blue eyes. Roy seemed dazed, reminding Johnny of the time Roy had become disoriented while fighting a blaze in a fancy single's bar. He had been suffering from heat exhaustion then, and Johnny thought he might be suffering from it again.

"Roy, can you hear me? I'm gonna take your shirt off, I need to see if you have any burns, okay?"

"'kay, Johnny," Roy tried to help his partner remove his uniform shirt, now soaked with his sweat, but his fingers would not cooperate. Again Johnny gently pushed his hands away and unfastened the buttons.

"John, what have we got? Is he okay?"

John turned to see Captain Stanley behind him, shouting to be heard above the roaring of the fire and the general cacophony of so many men and so much equipment engaged in the battle against the huge inferno.

This was the second four-alarm blaze in as many weeks in 29's district, and the second time 51 had been called out as backup. The first fire had quickly been ruled arson, and all indications pointed to this one being so as well. Johnny squelched the sudden flare of anger that rose in him at the idea of Roy being hurt in an arson fire. Firefighters realized and accepted the risks they took fighting blazes as part of the job they did as public servants, but a fire caused by an accident or an act of God was one thing - one caused by some sick person's quest for a thrill was quite another.

"I'm not sure yet, Cap. He's acting a little out of it, and I think he's got some burns on his back. A big piece of the ceiling fell on him. I'll know more in a few minutes. Can you get the biophone for me?"

"Sure, pal."

While Cap set the phone up, Johnny finished removing Roy's shirt. As he tugged the sleeves off Roy's arms, Roy leaned forward until his forehead rested against Johnny's chest. "Johnny, 'm so tired," he slurred.

"It's okay, man, just take it easy. Cap, can you get me the oxygen, too?" Johnny tried to move Roy to an upright position so that he could look at his burns, but Roy resisted. Finally Johnny gave up, and let him rest there until the Captain came back with the oxygen. Unable to resist the urge, he
brought one hand up to caress Roy's cheek. "Everything's gonna be all right, Roy," he whispered, "I'll take care of you, okay? Just hang in there." Roy responded by nestling deeper into Johnny's chest. Then Cap appeared with the oxygen, and the moment was over.

Captain Stanley held Roy upright so that Johnny could put the oxygen on him and treat the fortunately minor burns on Roy's neck and upper back. John relayed Roy's vital signs to Dr. Early, who recommended immediate transport. John left with Roy in the ambulance, and with the fire now under control, Cap sent Chet to follow them to the hospital in the squad.

As the two vehicles pulled away, no one took notice of the tall blond firefighter who had been watching the entire scene unfold. He wore an expression of disdain that twisted his otherwise blandly handsome features into an ugly mask of hatred.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Well, Roy, you do seem to have the luck of the Irish on your side." Kelly Brackett removed the stethoscope from his ears and smiled down at Roy, resting on the exam table.

Roy smiled weakly and dragged his arm across his brow, wiping away the cold sweat that seemed determined to reform there just as soon as he removed it. "Can I get out of here, then?"

"Sure, go on. Just keep ointment on those burns till they heal, and don't go back into work today, all right? When is your next scheduled shift?"

"Thursday."

"Well, I think you should be okay by then. Be your own judge, Roy. If you feel up to going to work Thursday, you have my blessing. Today, go home and rest."

"Thanks, doc."

"Sure." Brackett patted Roy's arm and left the room.

Johnny helped Roy sit up. "You still dizzy?"

"Not really. Just really, really tired."

"That's to be expected. Those burns hurt much?"

"Nah. I've had worse sunburns."

"I bet you have, paleface. C'mon, let's get you home."

"You can't go home with me, Johnny. Cap will be expecting you back at the station."

"Don't freak out, Roy. I'll drive you home and then go back in. Cap already okayed it." He handed Roy his wrinkled, rank smelling uniform shirt with an evil gleam in his eye. "Make sure you take a shower before I get home, okay?"

~~~~~~

Over his two days off Roy recovered quickly and with no complications. When Thursday came, he was back on the job. The men of A shift were just sitting down to a friendly game of poker when the tones sounded. "Squad 51, child sick, 104 Terry Road, cross street London, one zero four Terry Road, time out, 14:49."

As the squad pulled out, the man sitting behind the wheel of the white Dodge pickup truck parked across the street quickly slid down in his seat, hiding from the paramedics. As soon as the squad was out of sight, he got out of the truck and jogged across the street and into station 51.

Mike Stoker looked up from his book at the man walking into his station's kitchen. He frowned slightly, then his face cleared. "Mark Miller!" Mike put his book down and jumped to his feet. "How the hell are you?" He grabbed Miller's hand and pumped it twice.

"Hi, Mike. Long time no see. How's your wife doing?"

"Oh, she's great, man. Gosh, good to see you. How's everything at 29's?"

"Just great, for now. We're still resting up from that last firebug's job, and hoping like hell there ain't no more of 'em. Listen, Mike, I need to talk to your Cap. He around?"

"Yeah, sure, he's in his office. I'll walk you over." The two men left the kitchen and walked across the bay to Cap's office, the normally reticent Mike Stoker chatting away excitedly. He and Mark Miller had gone through training together, and had worked at the same station for two years.

Mike rapped on the Captain's office door. "Hey, Cap, I got someone I want you to meet." Mike introduced the two men, who exchanged the usual pleasantries. After a somewhat awkward silence, Miller cleared his throat. "Hey, Mike, think you could give Captain Stanley and me a few minutes?"

"Oh. Oh, sure. Hey, no problem." Mike shook Miller's hand again. "Really great to see you again, Mark. Don't be a stranger."

Cap motioned for Miller to take a seat. "How can I help you, pal?"

Miller took a deep breath. "I'll get right down to it, Cap. How much do you know about those two paramedics you got working out of this shift?"

Stanley frowned, somewhat taken aback by the abrupt question. "I'm not sure what you mean."

Miller gestured impatiently. "I mean, doesn't it strike you as a little bit weird that DeSoto moved in with Gage after he got divorced? I mean, they already work together, and now they're living together. I mean, that's gotta strike you as funny, if you know what I mean. It sure did me, from the minute I heard about it."

Cap pushed himself back in his chair, a frown creasing his lean, handsome face. "I don't think I like where you're going with this, Miller. Are you insinuating something about Gage and DeSoto?"

"I'm not insinuating anything! I'm outright telling you, Cap, those two guys are homos!"

Stanley winced at the ugly phrase. "You're way off base, and you're also way out of line, Miller. I won't have you coming into my station and making those kinds of unsubstantiated remarks about my men." Stanley was growing angry. "Even if what you're saying is true, which I don't believe for a minute, why the hell do you care?"

Miller sputtered in disbelief. "Why do I *care*??? Me and my guys have been working these arson fires with your station. We need to know that the guys we have backing us up are dependable!"

Captain Stanley jumped to his feet and leaned forward, placing his hands flat against his desk, his temper finally stoked to the boiling point. Even so, he was careful to keep his voice down. "John Gage and Roy DeSoto are two of the best firefighters in LA county. They are as dependable as they come, mister. Now I think you better get out of here while you can still leave under your own power!"

Cap stared across his desk at Miller, and despite his own anger, still managed to be concerned at what he saw. Miller was enraged. His blue eyes glittered with an almost insane frenzy, his face was flushed and sweating, and he shook uncontrollably. When next he spoke, he sprayed the air with spittle.

"Me and my guys have been talking this over, and we all say it's gotta stop, Cap! Those two guys don't belong in the fire department! They're a disgrace to all of us! If you don't do something about those guys, we will! We already decided! We're going to McConakee! We'll just see what he's got to say about Station 51 letting this kind of thing continue!"

"Miller, get out of my station. And don't come back. If you do, I will have your head on a platter, understand me? You're damn lucky I don't report you to your Captain for this." Stanley stared coldly at the trembling, red-faced man who stood before him clenching his fists. "What you're doing is called 'slander', Miller. Keep doing it, and you'll find yourself in a hell of a lot more trouble than what I can give you. Now get the hell out." Cap fell back into his chair, furious and disturbed.

Miller turned on his heel and almost flew out of the building, passing three open mouthed, staring fire fighters on his way out the door. Mike called to him, but he didn't even slow down. Mike, Marco and Chet exchanged worried glances. What the *hell* had that all been about? Captain Stanley appeared in the doorway of his office. "Stoker, can I talk to you for a minute?"

Mike walked into the Cap's office, still shaking his head in amazement. Before he closed the door in their faces, Chet and Marco heard Cap say, "Tell me everything you know about this guy, Mike."


(2)

"I'm serious, Roy! I think we have a real chance of winning the inventions competition this year! This invention will revolutionize firefighting!" Johnny leaned back against the seat and scratched his head, frowning slightly. "If I can just figure out a way to get around the explosion risk..."

Roy smothered a grin. "Well, it's got a better chance of winning than Chet's human fly shoes, anyway. But then, what wouldn't?"

"Oh, ha ha. Very funny. Listen, when we get back to the station, you have to help me work the bugs out, okay?"

Roy groaned. The last thing he wanted right now was to be coerced into helping Johnny with one of his harebrained schemes. He gripped the steering wheel tightly and stretched in his seat, then rolled his head around on his neck. He was very tense, and couldn't seem to relax. This call had been a tough one, as all the ones involving children were.

The sick child turned out to be an 18-month-old baby who was listless and non-responsive, with a very high fever. All sorts of scenarios played out in Roy's head as he treated the infant... meningitis, leukemia, there were so many horrible things that could cause the symptoms the little girl presented. When Dr. Early diagnosed the flu and told the girl's parents she would be just fine after rehydration and a few days of rest, the child's mother burst into tears of relief. Roy had felt like weeping as well. It was times like this he realized just how much he missed seeing his own children every day.

"Hello, earth to Roy. Are you going to help me?"

"I don't know, Johnny. I think I'd like to maybe watch a little TV when we get back, just try to unwind a little."

Roy could swear Johnny actually pouted. "Oh, okay. Sure. Fine. Whatever." And he leaned back against the seat, arms crossed across his chest, wearing the petulant look Roy knew all too well. Roy sighed. Why did he have the feeling he'd be out in the station's back yard helping Johnny with his invention five minutes from now?

Roy backed the squad into the bay, and Johnny barely gave it time to stop before he hopped out, headed toward the bay's back doors. Roy started to call to him to wait, he was coming, when Captain Stanley appeared in the doorway of his office, wearing a serious expression. Mike Stoker stood behind him, looking both concerned and something else that Roy couldn't quite put a name to.

"Roy, John, can I see you both in here for a minute?"

Roy and Johnny exchanged worried glances. What sort of trouble were they in now?

"Have a seat, guys. Mike, close the door for me, okay Pal?" Mike nodded and left. Johnny tried to meet Mike's eyes as he walked past John's chair, hoping for some kind of clue to what might be going on, but Mike studiously avoided his gaze. Johnny was beginning to get a very, very bad feeling about this.

With Mike gone, Roy and Johnny turned expectantly to their captain. Neither man showed it outwardly, but inside they were both wrenched with apprehension. Neither had seen Cap this serious since they'd been accused of being thieves. Whatever Stanley was about to tell them, they were certain it wasn't going to be good.

"I don't know how to say this, this is really putting me in a spot, I don't think I've ever had anything quite this . . . unusual . . . happen before. . ." Cap realized he was babbling, and started over. "While you guys were gone, I had a visitor, fireman by the name of Mark Miller, from 29s. Either
of you guys know him?"

"No, Cap, not me."

"Never heard of him, Cap."

"Well, he knows you two. And Stoker knows *him*, they went through training together. Mike says he's a standup guy, he's been commended twice for bravery above and beyond." Cap sighed deeply. He felt as though he was supporting the weight of the world on his shoulders, and much, much older than his 37 years. "Unfortunately, he also had some rather - disturbing things to say."

The suspense finally became too much for Roy, and he spoke up, his voice a bit higher than usual, as it usually became when he was stressed. "Cap, please, what did he say?"

Stanley sucked in a huge breath and forged ahead. "He implied that, hell, no he didn't imply, he came out and told me that you two guys are, are involved with each other. In a sexual way."

Everything switched to slow motion for Roy. He suddenly felt as though he was trying to breathe molasses, he had such trouble getting enough air into his lungs. His mouth fell open, and he took a few gasping breaths. A thousand denials sprang to his lips, but he couldn't get his mouth to work.

Captain Stanley's concerned face wavered and faded, and playing out before his eyes, almost as if he were watching a movie, Roy saw himself and Johnny being relieved of duty and drummed out of the fire department. He saw his ex wife's face as she stood before a judge in family court, telling a stern faced, disapproving judge that Roy was unfit to see his children. He saw his coworkers, his brothers in the fire department, turning their backs in disgust when they saw Johnny or him.

"ROY!" Jolted out of his dismal reverie, Roy startled violently and looked up to see Captain Stanley and Johnny both staring at him in alarm. "Roy, are you going to pass out?"

Roy tried to speak, and nothing came out but a distressed squeak. He cleared his throat and tried again. "No, Cap, I'm okay." Roy leaned forward, elbows braced against his thighs, hands dangling between his splayed legs, clenched tightly together to keep them from shaking. He took deep, measured breaths, but still feared at any moment he was going to throw up, or faint, or both. The blood roared in his ears so loudly he couldn't hear what either of the other two men was saying. Roy was dimly aware that he was leaving Johnny to defend them alone, but it couldn't be helped. He was paralyzed.

Johnny reluctantly dragged his attention away from his distressed partner after Captain Stanley had called his name twice and stared mutely at his superior, his dark eyes wide and glittering. He thought he was better off than Roy, who looked like a terrified rabbit ready to bolt for his burrow at any second, but not by much. He knew Captain Stanley expected them to deny the allegations, but Johnny couldn't bring himself to do it.

"Johnny, I have to admit this isn't quite the response I expected, from either of you." Hank Stanley was stunned. Looking at his two men, he realized he didn't need to hear anything further from either of them. Roy's panicked near catatonia and the usually overly garrulous Johnny Gage's muteness gave him all the confirmation he needed.

Hank struggled with his dilemma. Part of him told him that this was none of his business, but the other part, the part that felt like a surrogate father to his men, needed to know what he was dealing with.

"Look, guys. Oh, good Lord. I don't think I need to hear either of you say anything that's going to make you uncomfortable. I'm assuming that your silence isn't caused merely by the shock of Miller's claims. Before we go any further, does either of you want to deny what he said?"

His question was met by matching stares from equally pale and stricken faces. Neither man said a word.

Cap buried his face in his hands. His head ached. In fifteen years in the LA County fire department, he'd never had to deal with anything remotely like this. Hank Stanley wasn't a bigot. Especially when it came to the men he worked with, he didn't care what anyone's color, background, or religion might be, as long as he did his job. He supposed he didn't care what their sexual orientation might be either, it's just that he'd never thought about it much. Stanley rubbed his eyes with the heels of his hands and groaned aloud. Then he came to a decision based on instinct and gut feeling, based on his feelings for and experiences with the two men sitting in front of him, looking as miserable as condemned men going to the gallows. He hoped he wouldn't live to regret that decision.

"Okay, guys, this is the way it's going to be. This conversation will never go beyond this room." Roy's head snapped up, and he and Johnny stared at Hank in disbelief. Stanley ignored their incredulity and continued.

"As far as I'm concerned, this discussion never took place. I'm not going to go into my personal feelings about, uh, about your living situation, I'll just say that you can rest assured that my feelings about your competence as firefighters and paramedics hasn't changed a whit."

Roy felt tears spring to his eyes, and blinked furiously, pushing them away. He'd be damned if he'd cry in front of Stanley, but he could scarcely believe what he was hearing. For the first time since Stanley had told them what Miller had said, he started to hope that they might walk out of this office with their lives still somewhat intact. He realized that Cap was still talking.

". . . don't care what you do in your off hours as long as it doesn't affect the job. I just want you both to remember that in this job, your very life depends on your coworkers. I'm sure you know that there are going to be plenty of them who feel like Miller does. They are going to violently disapprove of your uh, situation." Cap grimaced, and Roy almost felt sorry for him. This couldn't be easy for him, either. "I just want you to be discreet, is all. Be CAREFUL, is what I'm saying. This Miller doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who's going to just give up and go away. He's got a wild hair tickling his ass, and he's not going to just let this go. If he convinces enough of the other guys that he knows what he's talking about, and I think there's a real chance he might, you guys are going to be in for some rough times. I hope you're ready for them."

Stanley stood and John and Roy hastily followed suit. Cap stopped in front of them, looking down sympathetically into their faces.

"Look, guys, you just have to give me some time to mull this over, get used to it. But you know you can still come to me with any problems you have. I'm still here for you, just the same as I was yesterday, and just like I will be tomorrow. Okay?"

"Thanks, Cap," Johnny said, and he and Roy left, Johnny urging his still somewhat dazed partner out the door.

Cap took his chair again, and rocked slowly back and forth, his chin cupped in one hand. He almost felt like laughing, remembering how everyone at the station and the hospital had been saying their names like they were one word almost from the start. GageandDeSoto. It was a mighty short step from there to the realization of what it meant that these two men who worked together and lived together were more than "just friends". He couldn't believe he hadn't seen it before. Now that he knew the truth, it seemed ridiculously obvious. He just hoped that it wouldn't seem as obvious to anyone who might not share his fond feelings for Johnny and Roy.


End Crossroads part two