Copyright: May 2001 By Robin R. Neher

THIS STORY IS WRITTEN FOR PLEASURE AND IS NOT INTENDED TO INFRINGE ON ANY PREEXISTING COPYRIGHTS THAT MAY BE VIOLATED. FEEL FREE TO SHARE WITH FRIENDS, BUT NOT FOR PROFIT.

THIS STORY IS FICTIONAL, A WORK OF THE WRITER'S IMAGINATION. THE CHARACTERS AND INCIDENTS USED IN THIS STORY ARE PURELY FICTIONAL AND ARE NOT BASED ON ANY PERSON AND/OR PERSON'S ACTUAL EXPERIENCES.

Title: Crisis

Author: Robin R. Neher

E-mail: NRobin1027@aol.com

Rating: R

Pairing: N/A

Archive: Yes

Summary: All of station 51's A-Shift are at each others throats. What will it take to bring this "family" together again?

Content Warning: Harsh Language. Graphic Violence.

 

CRISIS

By Robin R Neher

It was the start of another shift at station 51. This shift would be average if not for the fact that not a member of A-shift would dare speak to the others. As the crew put on their uniforms, Captain Hank Stanley came in.

"For anyone who's interested, roll call's in five minutes." Cap flatly stated.

Nobody uttered a word in response.

"Okay, that's fine." Hank replied. "I can see you're all here. I was gonna have a hydrant drill later, but never mind."

Cap just shook his head as he walked back toward his office. He couldn't understand why his crew seemed to be coming apart at the seams. A few days ago, all was well with A-Shift.

Was there some sort of misunderstanding? Cap wondered as he sat down at his desk to fill out reports. Did someone say or do something to offend the other guys?

What made things even worse for Hank is that his men, even Roy, had seemingly turned against him. Now, they barely acknowledged him. If was as if he did not exist. The guys no longer seemed to even be able to trust each other or the crew Cap.

As Cap wondered what to do, the others got their coffee from the kitchen, then went to their own corners of the station while Johnny escaped to his Land Rover parked out back. To Johnny, it seemed as if the guys had just met instead of having worked together for five years.

It felt to John as if his family was coming apart before his eyes. As Johnny started to read, the tones sounded.

Station 51, man stuck in car. 477 Webster. 477 Webster. Timeout: 0800.

Johnny grew concerned when he didn't hear Cap acknowledge the call as he ran inside the bay.

"Hey, C'mon, we got a call!" Johnny hollered.

Johnny got in the squad, but after the others failed to join him, Johnny got on the squad's CB.

"Squad 51, 10-4." Johnny acknowledged. "LA, Please respond another engine to assist me."

10-4, squad 51.

Johnny rode out in the squad, alone, lights and sirens full blast.

________________________________

One hour later, squad 51 returned to the station with it's lone passenger. Johnny got out of the squad and again headed toward his truck. Unlocking the Land Rover, Johnny took out his diary and a pen. Then, sitting down on the front bumper, he began to write.

May, 16, 1976

All of A-shift is coming apart. Nobody is talking. I had to go on a run by myself. Fortunately, it was just a man who'd locked himself out of his car. Next time, it could be a structure fire and I'd have no help. I'm gonna have to go to the Chief about this.

Johnny

Getting up off the bumper, Johnny made his way inside the station after putting his diary back in the Land Rover. Going to the pay phone in the rec room, Johnny saw Roy about to dial.

"Who ya callin?" Johnny asked.

"My wife." Roy coldly replied.

"She'll have to wait!" Johnny told Roy, yanking the receiver from his hand.

Johnny then dialed headquarters as Roy stormed into the latrine and sitting on the toilet, began to make his own diary entry.

May, 16, 1976-FF/PM Roy DeSoto

They just don't understand. How can they? They aren't married. They don't have kids they have to provide and assure a future for. Station 51, A-Shift is mostly bachelors. The only other married guy is Cap.

Johnny and the others can't understand that I miss my wife and kids when I'm on duty as I have been for almost a solid week, due to brushfires and the hot spell that Los Angeles has been in the grips of. All of our stations have been on alert ever since it started. Maybe that's our problem the heat has frayed all of our nerves and worn away our patience for each other.

We're all tired, but we can't afford to let anyone have time off because of the possibility of more fires. I sometimes wonder if one of us isn't on the verge of losing it altogether. The heat has got to let up soon.

Roy

Getting up, Roy left the latrine and made his way back to the rec room where Johnny was just getting off the phone. Hanging up, Johnny took Roy outside.

"Roy, we've got a problem. I don't like being called a Redskin!" Johnny spat. "How could you have said that about me in front of all those people?!"

"At the fireman's ball?" Roy asked.

"Where else?!" John growled. "Roy, you humiliated me that night!"

"Johnny, it was just a joke!" Roy yelled.

"And now all of LA County thinks that Native Americans are dummies, thanks to you!" Johnny yelled. "Thanks a bunch, Roy!"

"Johnny, I'm sorry!" Roy pleaded.

Johnny punched Roy in the nose, sending him to the ground in agony. Johnny then kicked him in the stomach and privates.

____________________________

Mike Stoker rushed out when he saw what Johnny was doing to Roy.

"Johnny, Stop!" Mike ordered, pulling the Paramedic of a bleeding and bruised Roy.

Mike restrained Johnny til he calmed down.

"Now, what's going on here?!" The Engineer demanded.

"Mike, you know I'm part Native American, right?" Johnny asked.

"Yeah," Mike nodded.

"Well, last week, at the fireman's ball, I overheard Roy talking to Joanne. She said that I looked nice." Johnny replied. "Roy replied that the way I was dressed, I looked like Tonto from the Lone Ranger."

"I see." Mike nodded. "I like that jacket you wore. I'm not sure Roy met anything by that remark."

"There's more." Johnny continued. "I was dancing with Dix, and I'll admit, I'm not the best dancer-"

"Was Brackett jealous?" Mike teased.

"Anyway, I heard Roy say something like, ain't it just like an Indian to be a lousy dancer?" Johnny continued.

"Oh, that had to hurt." Mike sympathized as Cap and Marco helped Roy back into the station.

"I thought Roy and I had an understanding!" Johnny cried. "My best friend, a racist!"

"Johnny, I wouldn't go that far. I think Roy was just joking and probably didn't realize how the joke sounded to you." Mike soothed. "I'm sure he didn't mean anything by it. I do agree that it was insensitive and he should apologize. You didn't have to beat him up over this."

"Was I supposed to stand there and let Roy out down my heritage?" Johnny sobbed.

"No, but instead of beating the crap out of him, you could've educated him about your heritage." Mike told the Paramedic. "You could teach us all about your people and history instead of being angry with us."

"I agree." Came the voice of department psychiatrist Dr. Jean Slade. "Gage, what were you trying to accomplish by attacking DeSoto?"

"Doc, I've had to deal with racism all my life." Johnny began as he and the others made their way inside the station. "When Roy made that comment at the ball, it was like being a kid all over again."

"So, you reacted like a kid would." The woman doctor concluded as she and the guys sat down at the kitchen table. "Do you think that reaction was appropriate for an adult of 25?"

"Doc, I couldn't let Roy make fun of my roots!" Johnny argued.

"But was hitting the answer?" Slade shot back. "John, Roy can be talked to and reasoned with."

"Unlike Chester B." Cap muttered, from the head of the table.

"Would you elaborate, Captain?" Slade encouraged.

"Just look at my hair!" Cap cried. "I look like a tall, skinny, pumpkin!"

"I see what you mean." Slade agreed.

"Cap, I said I was sorry!" Chet whined.

"Chet, did you do this?" Doc Slade queried.

"It was meant for Johnny!" Chet defended himself. "I didn't know Cap was gonna be first in the shower!"

"As usual, he doesn't think!" Cap snapped. "How am I gonna explain this to McConnikee when he sees?!"

"Cap, it's just hair coloring!" Chet replied. "It'll grow out in a few weeks!"

"And what do I do til then?!" Hank demanded. "I'll be the laughing stock of the whole department!"

"Cap, take it easy." Slade intervened, gently. "What's done is done."

"Yeah, But Kelly's gonna pay!" Hank roared, suddenly rising and placing his arms around Chet;s neck, choking him.

"Roy, Johnny!" Doc Slade yelled in alarm.

"Cap!" Chet gasped, as Roy and Johnny struggled to free him from Hank's choke hold.

"ALRIGHT! JUST WHAT IS GOING ON HERE!!?" Chief McConnikee bellowed, startling Cap and the rest.

"Chief McConnikee, Sir!" Cap stammered, releasing his hold on Chet and coming to attention, along with the rest. "Just a little difference of opinion, Sir!"

"Is this the way you run your station, Captain?!" The Chief demanded, his anger obvious.

"Uh, no, Sir!" Hank stammered. "It's been a stressful week, Sir!"

"Then why did Fireman Gage have to go out alone on a run?!" The Chief asked. "What if he'd needed help?!"

"Sorry, Chief! It won't happen again, Sir!" Hank assured his boss.

"Damn right it won't cause you're relieved of command!" McConnikee growled. "Effective immediately! Gage, DeSoto, get your butts over to 86's! Kelly, 112's! Lopez, 18's! Stoker, 86's! Hank, report to headquarters for reassignment! Dismissed!"

***

A few minutes later, Hank was in the Chief's office at HQ.

"Stanley, I wanna know what just happened at 51's and I wanna know now!" McConnikee ordered. "How could you let things deteriorate that way?!"

"I wish I could explain it, Chief!" Hank cried. "Everything was falling apart before my very eyes! I guess we just had enough of one other!"

"That happens sometimes." McConnikee agreed. "Even the closest of families fight."

"Yes, Sir." Hank nervously stammered.

"The trouble is, we can't have that kind of fighting in any firestation. Any fire crew must be a team or not at all." The Chief told Hank. "So, this is what we're gonna do. You guys are gonna be separated for the next few shifts. You'll be assigned here as my assistant temporarily. When you guys get back together, You're gonna go through both individual and group sessions with Dr. Slade. Gage and DeSoto are doing that now."

***

Over at station eighty-six, Dr. Slade had Johnny in the Captain's office.

"Maybe I'm way too sensitive." John said. "I seem to take offense or overreact to whatever is said."

"You told me earlier that you were picked on as a child because of your mixed race." Doc Slade replied. "Did Roy remind you of a childhood bully?"

 

 

END PART 5