Copyright: August 2001 By Robin R. Neher

THIS STORY IS WRITTEN FOR PLEASURE AND IS NOT INTENDED TO INFRINGE ON ANY PREEXISTING COPYRIGHTS THAT MAY BE VIOLATED. FEEL FREE TO SHARE WITH FRIENDS, BUT NOT FOR PROFIT.

THIS STORY IS FICTIONAL, A WORK OF THE WRITER'S IMAGINATION. THE CHARACTERS AND INCIDENTS USED IN THIS STORY ARE PURELY FICTIONAL AND ARE NOT BASED ON ANY PERSON AND/OR PERSON'S ACTUAL EXPERIENCES.

Title: Casualty of War

Author: Robin R. Neher

E-mail:NRobin1027@aol.com

Rating: R

Pairing: N/A

Archive: Yes

Fandom: Emergency!

Summary: Chet and Johnny's prank war pushes Roy over the edge.

Content Warning: Harsh language. Graphic Violence


Casualty of War
By Robin R. Neher

Another day, another water bomb.

"CHET!!!" Roy DeSoto heard Johnny Gage scream from Station fifty-one's lockeroom as he entered the station at the start of shift.

As
Roy was heading into the lockeroom, Chet Kelly came running out with Johnny at his heels. Roy stuck his foot out and tripped both men, sending them sprawling to the floor.

"
Roy!" Johnny growled, getting up, only to have Roy kick him in the stomach.

Johnny doubled over in pain. Chet too tried getting up, but
Roy slammed him back down to the hard floor.

"Enough is enough!"
Roy yelled. "For five years, I've had to put up with you stooges! Day after day, prank after prank! What is with you two hellions?! Do you enjoy getting each other?! Does it turn you two on?!"

Both John and Chet sat staring, unable to answer.

"Tell me, why can't you two just act like grown men instead of little boys?!"
Roy raged. "Just once, can't you two call a truce to your little war?!"

Roy paced as the two firemen shook with fear.

"Can't you two just be nice to each other like normal human beings?!"
Roy yelled. "Must you two always try and outdo each other?!"

With that,
Roy turned to Hank, who had just arrived for work.

"Cap, I can't deal with these two anymore."
Roy told him. "I've had it!"

"
Roy, take the next couple shifts off, Pal." Cap suggested.

"Thanks, Cap."
Roy smiled, gratefully.

John and Chet watched as
Roy left the station, heading for home and the love of his Joanne. Cap scowled down at them.

"Congratulations, you twits! You both just landed the first casualty of your prank war! Are you both happy now?!" Hank demanded. "Are you both satisfied?!"

Chet and Johnny both hung their heads

"John Roderick and Chester B, from now on. you both stay away from each other. Is that clear?" Hank asked. "You are not to go anywhere near each other from now on!"

"Fine." Chet agreed.

"Fine." Johnny too agreed.

"I'll make that easy." Chet said. "I'm putting in for a transfer."
_________________________________________

Four days later, Roy arrived for work and went into the lockeroom to change.

"Mornin." Johnny greeted
Roy.

"Hi,"
Roy replied. "Johnny, about the other day-"

"Hey, Pally, don't worry about it." John soothed. "You don't have to worry about me and Kelly anymore. He's with C-Shift now. Charlie Wilson's here with us."

"Chet transferred?"
Roy gaped.

"Yep, Chet and I are like oil and water. We just don't mix." Johnny replied, pinning on his badge.
___________________________________________________

"Still, I feel bad about what happened." Roy told his best friend, combing his redish-blond hair.

"Pally, who could blame you for blowing up?" Johnny countered. "Our little war has been going nonstop for awhile. If it hadn't been you, it would've been Cap or someone else. Chet and I were so busy trying to get each other that we never thought of the effect we were having on you guys."

As
Roy was about to reply, the tones sounded.

Station 51, unknown type rescue at the university. 176 Residence Hall. 176 Residence Hall. Crosstreet:
Boston. Timeout: 08:01.

"Station 51, 10-4-KMG-365." Cap responded as the rest rushed to the trucks and got in.

Cap then made his way to the squad and handed
Roy the slip of paper with the address on it. Roy in turn gave it to John. Cap then took his place on board engine 51. All then left the station, the squad leading the way.

_________________________________________

A few minutes later, Station 51 was on scene.

"What's the problem?" Hank asked of a crying blonde teen girl who met them.

"It was just a joke, honest!" The girl wept. "Follow me, please!"

"Mike, stay with the engine, Pal." Hank instructed his Engineer.

The girl then led the rest of the crew into a building and down a long maze of hallways. As they followed, all wondered what was going on and where the victim was. Finally, the girl led them to an office.

"He's in the john!" The girl wept. "I didn't mean for him to get hurt!"

"What the hell happened?"
Roy demanded.

"Charlie had been playing pranks on me for weeks!" The teen sobbed. "I decided to get even!"

"How?" Johnny asked, frowning at the smell which he recognized all too well. "Did you give him a laxative?!"

The girl nodded, crying harder.

"How could you have done something so damn stupid?!" Johnny yelled. "That kid could be dying, thanks to you!"

"John," Cap stepped in.

"
Roy, you handle this one!" Johnny told his partner, then left the room and eventually the building.

Once outside, Johnny began growling and kicking garbage cans that sat outside the building. Mike Stoker just stood by the engine, letting Johnny throw his tantrum. Once the young medic was spent, the engineer called him over to the engine.

"Mike, I'm sorry!" Johnny yelled, clenching his fists.
 
"You're angry about something, what is it?" Mike quietly asked, sitting Johnny down on the engine's running board. "You lost control in there. I wanna know why."

"That girl that met us, she gave a boy in there laxatives in response to pranks that he'd been playing on her!" Johnny yelled.

"And it touched a nerve." Mike guessed. "Johnny, how many times have you done things just as dangerous to Chet and he to you?"

"But, I'd never give him laxatives!" Johnny argued.

"But this call brought you face to face with someone you didn't want to meet, yourself." Mike told the dark-eyed man. "You were seeing you in that girl."

"Maybe I was." Johnny realized.

"That scared you. Why don't you take the squad and meet
Roy at Rampart?" Mike suggested "Try to cool off on the way, huh?"

"I will." Johnny replied, walking to the squad.

Getting in on the driver's side, Johnny got on the CB.

"LA, squad 51, 10-8 to Rampart for follow-up." Johnny reported into the mic.

Squad 51. Sam acknowledged.

Johnny then drove away from the scene. He decided to take the scenic route to Rampart so that he could calm down on the way.
___________________________________________________

As soon as he was away from the scene, John turned off the squad's CB. He hated himself for acting as he did a few minutes before. He kicked himself inside for letting his emotions get the
best of him on the job.

You lost control back there, Gage! Johnny chastised himself. You're supposed to be a professional when those tones sound! You aren't supposed to get emotional in front of victims!

As Johnny drove on out of his way, his brain kept screaming that at him. Johnny wondered at that moment whether the Paramedics was right for him as a career.
______________________________________________

Two hours later, Roy was angry at being stranded at Rampart.

"Where the fuck is Johnny?!" Roy yelled.

"Roy, I'm sure John's okay." Nurse Dixie McCall soothed. "He probably feels bad about what happened at that call."

"He should feel bad." Roy told the blonde head nurse. "What he did back there was unprofessional and uncalled for!"

"Uh, Roy, I seem to recall that Johnny isn't the only one who's lost control of his emotions at calls." Dix reminded the senior medic.

"The Teals." Roy remembered.

"Among others." Dix nodded. "It's hard to detach ourselves sometimes, particularly when a victim reminds us of a loved one. What happened with the Teals, Roy?"

"Dorothy and Harry reminded me of my own parents, except that instead of burning the house like she did, my Mom shot and killed my dad, then turned the gun on herself." Roy replied, softly. "I was fourteen at the time."

"I'm sorry, Roy." Dix said, putting a comforting arm around the senior medic. "Why did she do it?"

"She found out my dad was gonna leave her for another woman." Roy replied, his voice cracking.

"That wasn't your fault." Dix soothed.

"I just thought that Mrs. Teal was headed in the same direction." Roy sobbed. "I just couldn't live with myself if that happened!"

"You can't be responsible for everyone and everything all the time." Dix told him. "You're not God, Roy."

"I know, but why did John flip out at that run?" Roy wondered.

"Because, it touched a nerve." Johnny replied. "She reminded me of me."

"Are you okay?" A concerned Roy asked.

"Yeah, I just needed some time to myself." Johnny replied. "LA, Squad 51, Available."

Squad 51. Sam came back over the HT.

"Let's go, John." Roy said, quietly.

Dix watched with great concern as the Paramedics left the ER.
_________________________________

A few minutes later, the squad was back at the station. The engine was gone, presumably on a run. John got out of the squad and headed toward the dorm.

"Johnny?" Roy called.

Johnny stopped and faced his partner.

"What you did at that call was unprofessional, you know that, don't you?" Roy asked.

"Yeah." Johnny sighed. "Roy, I'm sorry about what happened."

"I'm sure you are." Roy replied. "You just need to understand that the time for feelings is after the job is done. At the station."

"Roy, when the girl told me what she'd done, it brought back all the things that Chet had done to me." Johnny told his partner. "It also opened my eyes to what I did to Chet and how wrong it was."

"Maybe that's a good thing." Roy replied. "Sometimes, we have to see through other people our own imperfections."

"Chet and I weren't trying to hurt each other." Johnny said. "That was never our intent."

"I know, Partner." Roy understood. "Maybe you and Chester B are just too alike in personality to get along. Opposites attract, likes repel."

As Johnny was about to reply, the tones again sounded.

Squad 51, man down. 8225 Apple St. 8225 Apple St. Crosstreet: Adams. Timeout: 10:15.

"Squad 51, 10-4, KMG-365." Roy acknowledged as Johnny got in his seat on the passenger side.

Roy joined him on the driver's side seconds later and both sped out of the station, lights and sirens full blast.
___________________________________________________

Arriving on scene minutes later, Johnny got out and went to get the equipment. Roy joined him a second later.

"Johnny, keep your mind on your work." Roy reminded the young man as they went up to the front door and knocked.

"Fire department!" Johnny called.

After a few seconds, John knocked again.

"Fire department!" Roy called. "Johnny, I'm gonna check around back."

"Kay." John replied.

As Johnny continued knocking on the front door, Roy made his way around back of the house, peeking in windows as he went. Finally, Roy came upon the back door. Peeking in, he saw
nobody inside.

Roy sighed as he made his way back to Johnny. Just as he was rounding a corner, the ground gave way beneath him. Roy flailed, but it was too late. Roy screamed as he fell into the hole.
Once he landed, Roy caught his breath and collected himself.

"JOHHHHNNNNNEEE!!!" Roy hollered. "JJJJOOOOOOOHHHHNNNNEEEEE!!!"

A second later, Roy spied his HT. He quickly raised the antenna after grabbing the radio.

"Fireman DeSoto to Fireman Gage." Roy said into the HT.

Fireman Gage. Johnny came back.

"Johnny, I've fallen into a hole. Bring the squad and some rope." Roy requested.

10-4. Johnny responded.
______________________________________

Twenty minutes later, Roy was back topside, none the worse for wear. Johnny ran over as Roy sat down.

"You okay?" Johnny asked.

"Yeah, just mad as hell!" Roy replied. "That was deliberately left there!"

"No doubt!" Johnny agreed. "Do you hurt anywhere?"

"Don't think so." Roy answered. "LA, Squad 51, available."

Squad 51. Dispatch responded.

"Let's go, Junior." Roy said, tersely.

Johnny just followed without a word.
___________________________________

Thirty minutes later, Roy and Johnny were back at the station. Roy was still mad, but Cap was even madder.

"Somebody dug that hole purposely?!" Hank raged.

"It looks that way." Johnny replied. "Are all our calls gonna be this way?!"

The tones sounded before Cap could answer.

Station 51, man down. 8225 Apple St. 8225 Apple St. Crosstreet: Adams. Timeout: 11:01.

Roy and John just looked at each other, then ran toward the squad.

"Station 51, 10-4, KMG-365." Cap acknowledged, the boarded
the engine.

"Cap, that's the place where Roy fell in that hole." Johnny told Hank.

"LA, Station fifty-one. Respond police to that location." Hank requested as the engine and squad left the station

10-4, station 51. Sam came back.
___________________________________________________

Twenty minutes later, Station fifty-one was on scene. Roy, Johnny and Cap went to the front door while the others waited with the engine.

"Hello! Fire department!" Cap called, pounding on the front door.

"How come we never get to go with them?!" Charlie Wilson whined to Marco and Mike.

"Charlie, someone has to wait with the engine." Mike soothed. "Besides, the fewer people at a call, the better. Roy and John are there cause if there are injuries, they can treat them. Cap, as senior officer, should be there with them."

"Wilson, Knock it off!" Cap growled. "LA, station 51, available!"

Station 51. Dispatch returned.

"Cap, there's nobody here." Police officer Vince Howard reported.

"There wasn't anyone here when we responded earlier." Roy reported.

While the rest were talking, Charlie grew more and more impatient. He wondered toward the house and made his way inside.

*********************************

Down the street and out of sight, a figure snickered as he watched the men. Smiling, the person pressed a button on a remote control in his hand. He laughed with glee as the house exploded.

Hank radioed in the fire and requested additional help.

"Hey, where's Charlie?" Roy suddenly asked.

"Oh no, he didn't!" Cap cried. "CCCCCCHHAARRRLLLLLIIIIIIEEEE!!!"

*******************************************

Two hours later, what was left of 51's crew returned to the station. All were saddened by the death of Charlie Wilson. The five remaining men were angry too.

"So damn senseless!" Johnny hissed, shaking his head.
___________________________________________________

"I've played pranks before, but I never hurt anyone with one!" Johnny cried. "Charlie would still be alive if it hadn't been for some fucking prankster!"

"John, I'm sure whoever did this never meant to hurt anyone!" Chester B. Kelly sobbed, having just arrived at the station after hearing the sad news. "Captain Stanley, Fireman Chester Kelly
reporting for duty."

"Kelly, you don't give a damn about what just happened!" John accused. "A man just died because of a stupid prank! A prank that shouldn't have happened!"

"John-" Roy said, putting a hand on his partner shoulder.

Johnny just pulled away, then lunged at Chet. Johnny grabbed the short man and ripped the badge off his uniform.

"We don't need pranksters in the fire service!" Johnny shouted, shaking Chet. "You are out of the department! Fired! Finitio! Game over!"

Cap and the rest followed as Johnny tossed Chet out into the street. Johnny then stormed into the dorm and slammed the door.

"Boy, Gage is mad!" Mike Stoker shook his head.

Outside, Chet got up, got in his car and left the station. Cap then turned to Roy.

"Roy, what's with John?" Hank inquired.

"I'd say he got a big dose of what pranks can do." Roy shrugged. "What a way to face reality."

Hank gestured toward the dorm.

"Cap, let's just let him be for now." Roy suggested. "We've all suffered a loss today."

The tones sounded before anything more could be said.

Station 51, possible suicide. 8225 Apple St. 8225 Apple St. Crosstreet: Adams. Timeout: 13:20. Police are responding.

"Station 51, 10-4, KMG-365." Hank replied as John and the rest ran to the trucks.
___________________________________________

Arriving on scene minutes later, Roy turned to Johnny.

"Can you handle this?" Roy asked.

"I have to, it's my job." Johnny flatly replied, then got out of the squad.

"DON'T COME ANY CLOSER!!" A short, balding man shouted. "ALL OF YOU, STAY BACK!!!"

___________________________________________________

"John?" Cap asked.

Johnny just turned and walked back toward the squad. Cap understood how Johnny felt cause his feelings were the same. However, Cap also knew that there was a life that had to be saved, no matter how they felf about the man and what he'd done to Charlie. After what seemed like an eternity, Johnny approached the man who held a knife to his throat.

"Mister, what do you want me to say?" John asked. "I suppose you want the usual speech about how you have so much to live for, but I'm not sure your life is worth much now. Did you get your kicks watching a fireman die? Did you think about the pain he must've felt, burning to death in that explosion?"

Roy tried to step in, but Cap held him back.

"Do you really want to die or are you taking the coward's way out?" Johnny asked. "Either way, good riddance. I couldn't care less. You killed a friend of mine, so you can pay with your life. All you pranksters should be lined up and shot! It'd make life for us victims a whole lot easier. If you choose to live, you'll have Charlie's blood on your hands for the rest of your days."

"I'm sorry!" The man pleaded.

"Try telling that to his family and friends." John coldly countered. "Charlie Wilson is lost to them forever, thanks to you. So if you want to kill yourself, go right ahead, but don't forget one thing. If you stab yourself in front of all these fireman, They'll have to live with it."

With that, Johnny stepped back. The man started to cry and dropped the knife. Vince then swooped in and handcuffed the man. Roy came over to Johnny.

"I know, it was unprofessional." Johnny sighed.

"Yes, but you saved a life." Roy soothed. "I remember Dixie told us once that sometimes the bedside manner has to be thrown out. This was one of those times."

LA, Station 51, available." Cap reported. "Gage, I wanna see you in my office when we get back to the station."

"Yes, Sir." Johnny replied.

Roy then took Cap aside.

"Cap, don't yell at Johnny." Roy requested. "Why don't you let me handle it instead?"

"I don't know." Hank hedged.

"Cap, Johnny knows what he did was inappropriate, but he was dealing with the man who'd killed his friend two hours ago." Roy reminded Cap. "We're all dealing with the loss of Charlie Wilson, not just John."

"You're right, Roy." Hank decided. "What am I gonna do about Chet though?"

**********************************************

A few minutes later, the squad pulled into a secluded area. Roy then looked John in the eyes.

"Johnny, Talk to me." Roy ordered.

"It's just not fair!" Johnny suddenly screamed. "If Charlie had died in the line of duty, I could accept that. I can't accept that Charlie died cause of his own fucking stupidity!"

"Why?" Roy calmly asked.

"Cause it was just so-so!" Johnny clenched his fist.

"Senseless?" Roy guessed.

"Yeah, I just can't understand!" Johnny sobbed. "I can't understand how Charlie could die, but the waste of a human being that killed him gets to live!"

"I just don't understand, Pally!" Johnny sobbed.

"Johnny, I wish I could give you answers, but I can't."
Roy offered. "All I can tell you is that what Charlie did was irresponsible. When a Captain gives an order, he does it for a reason. When he says no, that means no. Charlie couldn't accept that and look what happened to him."

"I hope something good can come out of this!" Johnny sniffed. "My father taught me that things happen for a reason, good or bad. Maybe the reason for this was to get me to see how harmful pranks can be!"

"Maybe."
Roy agreed. "I hope you understand now why pranks aren't good all the time."

"I do." Johnny nodded. "Chet and I were just having fun. At least that's how it started anyway."

"I know, Junior."
Roy replied. "The trouble is, we were caught in the middle of you two's prank war. When we're at the station, we're supposed to be professional. There are healthy ways to
blow off steam without the pranks."

Squad 51, are you available? The CB came to life.

"Squad 51, available." John responded.

Both men listened as multiple tones sounded.

"Sounds like a big one."
Roy noticed.

Engine 51, squad 51, station 86, station 2, truck 127, truck 8, battalion 14, respond first alarm assignment to brushfire in pinecone canyon. Timeout: 15:02.

"Squad 51, 10-4." Johnny acknowledged as Roy activated the lights and sirens.

As they drove toward the scene, the squad's CB again came to life.

LA, battalion 14, engine 51 reports false alarm. Cancel other units. Chief McConnikee's voice came over.

All units responding with engine 51, cancel.

"Squad 51, 10-4." Johnny sighed. "This is getting old!"

"No kidding!" Roy agreed. "All our calls have been this way! Do people enjoy watching us chase our tails?!"

"Somebody has to be laughing their head off about now!" Johnny griped. "I wonder if Chet has something to do with this?!"

"Why would a trained fireman phone in a false alarm?" Roy replied.

"To get even with me." Johnny guessed.

"Johnny, if Chet wanted to do that, he could've done it in a million other ways and he would've done it by now." Roy reasoned. "Besides, Chet knows where you live and work. Why waste time phoning in a false brushfire?"

"That's true." Johnny decided. "I guess I'm being paranoid."

"Who could blame you after today?" Roy smiled.


END PART 8