Copyright: September 2002 by Robin R. Neher

THIS STORY IS WRITTEN FOR PLEASURE AND IS NOT INTENDED TO INFRINGE ON ANY PREEXISTING COPYRIGHTS THAT MAY BE VIOLATED. FEEL FREE TO SHARE WITH FRIENDS, BUT NOT FOR PROFIT. THIS STORY IS FICTIONAL, A WORK OF THE WRITER'S IMAGINATION. THE CHARACTERS AND INCIDENTS USED IN THIS STORY ARE PURELY FICTIONAL AND ARE NOT BASED ON ANY PERSON AND/OR PERSON'S ACTUAL EXPERIENCES.

Title: A wife's plea

Author: Robin R. Neher

E-mail:
NRobin1027@aol.com

Rating: R

Pairing: N/A

Archive: Yes

Fandom: Emergency!

Summary: Joanne DeSoto is at her wit's end with her husband and calls on Johnny for help.

Content Warning: Harsh Language. Angst.

 

A wife's plea
By Robin R. Neher

A concerned Johnny Gage peeled into the driveway of the DeSoto home after recieving a call from the wife of his partner, Roy DeSoto. Upon seeing Johnny's truck, Joanne rushed out to greet him.

"Johnny, you have to help me." Joanne began. "Roy is making me nuts!"

"Jo, I'll help in any way I can." Johnny assured the frazzled woman.

"Johnny, who's idea was it for Roy to take two weeks off work?" Jo huffed.

"Mine." Johnny admitted. "I thought that some time with you might help to get him over his depression about not getting the promotion."

"Johnny, my kids both have the flu and Roy's bored out of his skull." Jo told him.

"Uh oh, being too helpful is he?" John guessed.

"Too helpful! Way too helpful!" Jo replied. "Come inside."

Johnny followed her inside the house and was immediately hit with the smell if something burning coming from the kitchen.

"Roy DeSoto, get out of my kitchen! You're just making a mess!" Joanne yelled at her husband. "Johnny, take Roy out of here before I kill him!"

"I'm sorry!" Roy stammered. "I was-"

"I know, you were just trying to help!" Jo yelled. "Well, I don't need your help! You have no clue how to cook, much less take care of a sick kid! Johnny, please, I beg you, take Roy with you or I'll kill him!"

"I get the message." Roy said, quietly. "I'm just in your way."

As Roy went upstairs to pack a bag, Johnny turned to Jo.

"He was trying to help." John said.

"I know." Joanne sighed. "I've got enough to take care of with Chris and Zoey sick upstairs, I don't need Roy underfoot too. Johnny, just take him, fishing, camping, anything."

"I will. Why don't you let me call Dix to come and help you with the kids?" Johnny offered.

"I'd be grateful if you would." Jo smiled, tiredly.

"No need." Dixie McCall smiled. "Joanne, you look like hell."

"Johnny called you." Jo guessed.

"It sounds like you have quite a handful." Dix noted. "How are the kids?"

"I just got them down for naps." Jo answered.

"Good, cause if my guess is correct, I'd say by the greenish tinge to your skin that you have the flu too." Dix smirked.

Before Joanne could reply, a wave of nausea gripped her and she dashed upstairs to throw up. Roy came down with his suitcase at this time.

"She's sick too." Roy realized.

"Yeah, sick and at the end of her rope." Dix answered. "Have fun with John."

With that, Roy and Johnny left the house and got into Johnny's Land Rover. As they drove toward Johnny's apartment, Roy was still hearing Joanne's hurtful words echoing in his head.

"Roy?" Johnny asked. "You okay?"

"I was just trying to help." Roy murmured.

Back inside the house, Dixie was helping a sick Joanne into her bed.

"Dix, I know you think I'm nuts." Joanne said. "You'd think a wife would be thrilled to have her husband home for two whole weeks, but frankly, it's much easier not to have Roy around at all."

"Why?" Dix wondered.

"Dix, when you have two sick kids to take care of, you don't need a husband to watch after too. I can't stand it when Roy tries to help with things! He just makes a mess that I have to clean up! He has no clue how to do anything around the house and he certainly has no clue how to care for kids!:

"Jo, he is a Paramedic." Dix reminded her.

"But, I'm the one that cares for our kids everyday." Jo countered. "Roy would drop Zoey on her head if I allowed him to hold her."

"Jo, that's not fair. Roy is very gentle with kids, we both know that. He would never hurt a child."

"Did I tell you what happened when I let Roy baby-sit one time?" Joanne asked. "I came home to find the house a shambles and the kids sick because he let them eat junk food all day long! Zoey ran around in a wet diaper all day long cause Roy had no fucking idea how to diaper her or even where the diapers were kept!"

"What's so hard about putting on a disposable diaper?" Dix wondered.

"I use cloth." Joanne replied. "Dix, these are kids we're talking about here, not adults with burns or a fracture."

"Can I ask you a question?" Dix requested.

"Shoot." Jo replied, weakly.

"Are you sure that you're not just so busy trying to be the perfect mother that you'd never let Roy so much as touch those kids?" Dixie asked her. "Do you let anyone hold them or help with them in any way? Men aren't total idiots you know. They can learn how to do things. It seems like you've taken the full load of running a house and child care all on yourself and pushed your husband into some waiting room instead of allowing him to help."

"Help? With Roy it's more like hinder!" Jo laughed. "Oh, Dix, he tries, but he just doesn't know his limitations. I think he does it mostly to try and impress me."

"Jo, can I make a suggestion?" Dix asked.

"Dixie, fire away." Jo replied.

"Honey, you're exhausted." Dix said. "Between running a house and taking care of two small kids, not to mention one overgrown one, you're just worn out. You being worn out has led to you getting sick. Joanne, you've gotta take some time for you."

"I can't just leave Roy and the kids alone!" Jo protested.

"Jo, Roy is an adult! He should be able to take care of himself for a couple weeks as for the kids, they can stay with your Mom." Dix countered.

"Well, I've got this Sister in San Antonio I can go visit." Jo mused.

"There, See?" Dix smiled.

"But, I'd have to leave meals made up for Roy." Joanne fretted.

"Joanne, Roy can cook for himself." Dix said. "He can wash his own clothes, he can get his own uniforms from the cleaner's. Just leave him to fend for himself."

"It's not a bad idea." Jo admitted.

*

One week later, Roy and Joanne were standing at LAX as Jo got ready to board her flight to Texas. Roy, for his part, was doing his best to look happy, though inside he was unhappy about being alone for two weeks.

"Honey, don't be sad." Joanne said. "It's only for a couple of weeks."

"It'll be an eternity without you. The house will be lonely." Roy replied.

Joanne's flight was called over the PA.

"I gotta go, Sweetie." Jo said, then got in line to board her flight.

A few minutes later, Roy watched as her plane took off. As Roy then left the airport, he was already missing his family.

*

Two days later, Roy was back on duty at 51's.

"How's it going so far without Joanne?" Johnny asked as he and Roy changed for work in the lockeroom.

"I miss her and the kids so much." Roy replied as a snicker was heard from Chet Kelly. "Do you find something funny, Chet?"

"Roy, you look like a girl in a pink T-Shirt!" Chet laughed.

"Chet, I'm not used to living alone!" Roy hissed.

"Hey, Pally, you don't have to tell Kelly a thing." Johnny stepped in. "Kelly, Roy is just learning to do laundry. How bout a little support?"

"Sor-ry." Chet huffed.

"Oh my god!" Roy gasped. "I must've grabbed a pair of Joanne's underpants by mistake!"

"I thought your underpants were a little frilly for you." Johnny tried not to laugh. "What happened?"

"I did washing yesterday and just sat it on the floor. I overslept this morning and in my rush to shower, I just reached in looking for a pair of my undies in the dark."

"And grabbed Jo's by mistake." Johnny filled in the rest.

"Roy, you look mighty sexy in those!" Chet teased.

"Hey, what's-" Cap began, then saw Roy. "I didn't know you had a kinky side, Roy."

"Cap, they're Joanne's." Johnny explained.

"Cap, I'll bet we're gonna see him in Jo's nighties next." Chet teased.

"Hey, Roy, I know you miss Joanne, but this is going too far." Hank Stanley said.

"Cap, I got dressed in a hurry." Roy told the tall, skinny man.

"I see." Cap nodded. "Can you go commando?"

"I'll take him by his house to get him another pair." Johnny assured Hank.

"Just make sure he doesn't put on one of her slips next." Chet teased again.

Hank glared Chet into silence.

"Sorry, Cap." Chet backed off.

"I'm secure enough in my manhood to wear women's undergarments." Roy smiled. "Are you, Chet? I dare you to wear a negligee under your uniform."

"A bright red one." Cap added. "I dare you to model one for us. You too, Gage."

"No way!" Johnny defended himself. "You won't see me in no woman's skivvies!"

"Matter, Johnny? Afraid you'll like it?" Roy teased. "Or are you afraid that the nurses at Rampart will find out?"

"Johnny's not as secure in his manhood as we are." Cap smiled. "Chet either."

"Would you wear woman's clothes, Cap?" Johnny asked.

"Well, I might if my wife weren't around." Hank stammered, then ducked into his office.

"Did you see how red he got?" Johnny giggled.

"He was red as a tomato." Marco Lopez laughed.

"Johnny, just get me to my house so I can change before the whole department finds out." Roy requested.

"Don't give Chet any ideas." Johnny warned Roy as they headed for the bay and the squad.

As they got ready to go, the tones went off.

Squad 51, assist police at foothill station. Timeout: 08:00.

"Squad 51, KMG-365." Johnny responded, then got into the driver's seat.

As they rolled out, Roy was praying that this would be a quick run.

*

"Squad 51, available." Roy reported just ten minutes later.

Squad 51. Dispatch acknowledged.

"A cop call us for a scraped hand!" Johnny muttered. "They could've had their infirmary handle that!"

"I feel sorry for the cop." Roy remarked.

"What for?" Johnny gasped.

"The guy's a rookie. He sees one of the inmates get hurt in a fight and calls us. All he gets for his trouble is a dressing down from his Sergeant and a three day suspension. How fair is that?"

"How fair was it to a second patient who may have needed us and had to wait because we were tied up with this?" Johnny countered as they pulled away from the police station.

"That's true." Roy admitted. "Can we go to my place now?"

"You bet." Johnny grinned.

When they arrived at Roy's house minutes later, he quickly dashed inside to change. When he returned minutes later, it was obvious to Johnny that he felt better.

"Now, how am I gonna tell Joanne about wearing her underwear?" Roy wondered.

"Oh, I'm sure she'll be thrilled." Johnny teased.

"Johnny." Roy warned.

"Okay, it's out of my system now." Johnny promised.

"It better be." Roy warned as he backed the squad into the apparatus bay.

As the medics exited the squad, the other members of A-Shift came in for roll call. As soon as Chet saw Roy, he busted up laughing. Roy was calm as he stepped over to Chet, turned his back toward him, and mooned him.

"Roy!" Hank gasped as the other's jaws dropped.

"DeSoto, I wanna see you in office after roll call!" Hank ordered.

Before Roy could reply, the tones again sounded.

Engine 51, rubbish fire. 12 Easter St. 12 Easter St. Crosstreet: 18th. Timeout: 08:15.

"Engine 51, KMG-365." Hank responded. "We'll finish this later."

As soon as the engine was gone, Johnny turned to Roy.

"What?" Roy asked.

"What the hell is the matter with you?!" Johnny demanded of his friend.

"Johnny, he was laughing at me!" Roy defended himself.

"So, you had to moon Chet?" Johnny asked. "What if someone had walked in, looking for a tour or McConnikee had pulled a suprise inspection? How would you have explained that to them?"

"Johnny, you would've done the same thing and you know it!" Roy argued.

"No, Roy, I wouldn't!" Johnny shot back. "That's the one thing I'd never do! I would never get even with Chet in that way! You know, Pally, I look to you to set the example in this in this station! Well, after what just happened, I can see why Joanne doesn't trust you to be alone with the kids! You're a disgrace to all firemen everywhere and a disgrace to all fathers everywhere! What are to gonna expose next, your penis?!"

Johnny just went to clean the latrine as a shaken Roy sat down on the squad's running board, Johnny's words piercing his very heart.

*******

When the engine returned to the station minutes later, Cap headed straight to his office to think about what he was going to do about Roy and the mooning incident earlier. As he entered, he saw Johnny Gage, sitting in one of the chairs in front of his desk, looking distraught.

"John? You okay?" A concerned Hank asked.

"I yelled at Roy." Johnny answered, his voice cracking. "After you left, I let him have it. I called him a disgrace as a father and a fireman. Cap, I just couldn't believe it was me talking. I asked Roy if he'd expose his penis next."

"Johnny, we were all taken aback by Roy earlier." Cap soothed. "It was a shock to us all. The Roy we know would never behave that way."

"That's just it." Johnny replied. "I know that Roy would never do anything to hurt his kids. I called him a child molester or at least implied it. Cap, I was just so pissed at him."

"Why were you pissed?" Hank asked. "What did you feel when you saw Roy drop his drawers? You can be honest."

Johnny looked his Captain in the eyes.

"I flashed back in my mind." Johnny said, quietly.

"To when you were accused of molesting your then girlfriend's child." Cap finished.

"I was just wrestling with the boy." Johnny remembered. "I mooned him, but I was teasing."

"I know." Cap soothed. "I know you and Roy would never hurt a kid, especially not in that way. Roy is as caring and loving a father as you are a caring favorite uncle to those kids. I would trust you to baby-sit my kids."

"Thanks, Cap." Johnny grinned, then left the office.

Once outside, Johnny went to find Roy. He found him mopping the floor in the station's dorm.

"None of the guys are talking to me now." Roy told Johnny. "They all think I'm a jerk."

"Roy, I shouldn't yelled at you that way. I'm sorry." Johnny offered.

"I had it coming." Roy admitted. "I stopped to Chet's level. You're right about Jo not trusting me with my kids. I guess she doesn't think I know how to care for kids, not that I blame her after what happened that time with Zoey and with the kids getting sick. I only wanna help, but everytime I try to, she pushes me away."

"Roy, she runs that house and raises those kids everyday. She knows their routine, what they like and don't like, how she likes meals prepared, how she likes them dressed, bathed and put in bed at night. Kids want Mommy to do those things with them. Roy, you were trying to cook the other day with no clue as to what you were doing. You were just making a mess that she had to clean up. sometimes the best way to help is not to."



end part 6