Copyright: July 2001 By Robin R. Neher

THIS STORY IS WRITTEN FOR PLEASURE AND IS NOT INTENDED TO INFRINGE ON ANY
PREEXISTING COPYRIGHTS THAT MAY BE VIOLATED. FEEL FREE TO SHARE WITH FRIENDS, BUT NOT FOR PROFIT.

THIS STORY IS FICTIONAL, A WORK OF THE WRITER'S IMAGINATION. THE CHARACTERS
AND INCIDENTS USED IN THIS STORY ARE PURELY FICTIONAL AND ARE NOT BASED ON
ANY PERSON AND/OR PERSON'S ACTUAL EXPERIENCES.

Title: A Father's Pain.


Author: Robin R. Neher

E-mail:NRobin1027@aol.com

Rating: PG

Fandom: Emergency!

Pairing: N/A

Archive: Yes

Summary: When Joanne enrolls Chris in Big Brothers, Roy is thrilled, until he starts to feel Chris's new friend is taking his place in the boy's life


Content Warning: Some harsh language.

A father's pain.
by Robin R. Neher

"Roy, are you sure you're okay with this?" Joanne DeSoto asked one more time as her husband was getting ready to leave for work.

"Jo, I think this will be good for Chris." Roy replied. "Enrolling him in Big Brothers was a great idea. I can't always do stuff with Chris."

"I know." Jo replied. "Just don't be hurt."

"Honey, I'm not hurt." Roy assured her. "Chris needs somebody to do boy stuff with. Ball Games, fishing, looking at girls."

"Roy, you are encouragable!" Jo laughed.

"Se you tomorrow, Hon." Roy said, giving her a kiss, then leaving for station fifty-one.


************************************
"Big brothers, huh?" Chet Kelly said. "Sounds great."

"It is, Chet." Roy replied, sipping his coffee. "You should join."

"Are we sure that we want Chet Kelly molding a young mind?" Captain Hank Stanley asked, laughingly

"Yeah, a day with Chet would warp the poor kid for life!" Johnny Gage laughed.

"So would a day with you!" Chet shot back.

Cap was about to step in before things got out of hand when much to his relief, the tones sounded.

Squad 51, Child sick. 44 Jones Circle 44 Jones Circle. Croostreet: Jefferson. Timeout: 08:10.

"Squad 51, 10-4, KMG-365." Hank responded as the squad left the station, lights and sirens on.

***

Ten minutes later, Roy and John returned to the station.

"LA, squad 51, in quarters!" Johnny growled.

Squad 51. Sam came back.

"Do you believe that?!" John griped. "Just a kid throwing a temper tantrum! That kid should be spanked!"

"Johnny, the little fella was holding his breath and the sitter got scared." Roy soothed as he and Johnny entered the rec room to relax. "Were you serious about becoming a Big Brother?"

"Yeah, I can be a good example to a boy!" Johnny answered. "I was one once!"

"Johnny, make sure you set a positive example." Hank reminded the Paramedic. "Being a big brother is a serious responsibility."

Two weeks later, each man had a kid looking up to him. Johnny was Chris DeSoto's big brother. At first, Roy didn't mind the close relationship the two shared, but by the time a month had passed, Roy was beginning to see Chris depending more and more on Johnny to do things that Roy had always felt a father should do.

Joanne saw her husband become more and more despondent over the situation.

"Honey, I told you when this all started not to be hurt." Jo reminded him one day as he was getting ready to take Chris to school.

"Well, I am hurt!" Roy sobbed. "Johnny is doing all the things I should be doing for my boy! Johnny, take me to school! Johnny, take me to Indian guides! Johnny, let's go to the movies!"

"Honey, have you tried talking to John about this?" Joanne asked.

"What's the use?" Roy cried, hearing the voices of his partner and son downstairs

Roy got up and ran down to meet them.

"Chris, how bout if I take you to school today?" Roy grinned.

"No thanks." The eight year old replied. "Uncle John's taking me."

"Kay," Roy replied, hiding the hurt in his voice. "Have a good day."

***

When Johnny brought Chris home from school, Roy made a point of not being there, having decided to pull some overtime filling in for an injured man at station 8. As Roy changed in 8's lockeroom, Captain Stephen "Stoney" Stone approached him.

"Roy, what's wrong?" The tall black man asked.

"You can tell, huh?" Roy sighed. "Cap, Joanne and I enrolled Chris in Big Brothers. Johnny joined and became Chris's big brother."

"And now you're hurt that Chris is becoming more and more reliant on John." Stoney guessed. "Roy, you knew what Big Brothers was about when you signed Chris up."

"I know, It's just that I can't help but feel-" Roy tried to explain.

"Left out?" Cap Stone guessed.

"Exactly." Roy nodded.

"Roy, it's natural to feel that way, but you should not interfere with Chris and Johnny. Your boy needs that relationship." Stoney told Roy. "Chris can't really have that kind of bond with you cause of your job."

"I know." Roy replied, dejectedly. "When I come in from work, the kids are leaving for school. It's the same when I leave for work. Add to that all the lessons, games, recitals, etc. There is no fucking time for us, their parents."

"It's true that kids now days are busier than we are." Stoney agreed. "They start having lives of their own by the time they're five."

"We parents are no better." Roy agreed. "Kids are penciled in whenever it's convenient for us. Some are raised by Nannies."

"That's true." Stoney nodded. "It's also true that some parents run away when things aren't going the way they'd like."

"I couldn't agree more." Joanne said, entering the station. "Roy, I just came to tell you that Chris is going to Indian Guides with Johnny tonight, so don't bother coming."

"Kay." Roy sighed.

"Also, I've hired a nanny for the kids." Joanne informed her husband.

"Fine." Roy said, knowing that it was useless to argue. "I'm working for a week straight, so I won't be home til next Monday."

"Fine." Jo replied. "I'll call you later."

"Kay." Roy replied as his wife kissed him, then left for a meeting.

Roy watched as his wife pulled away in her station wagon. He felt empty inside as she pulled away. Roy then went to prepare for the week ahead.

 

 

End part 3