The Solution
By Breanne Byers
bbparker49@hotmail.com

RATED: NC-17 for swearing and sexual situation


SUMMARY: The answers and the past of Frank Parker


The Solution the Sequel to the Heart of the Matter

Part 1

It had been about half an hour ago that Donovan had left Frank Parker's room.

While Frank was still sitting in his room on his bed switching the channel from the lousy basketball game and to the Xena Warrior Princess marathon and starting to drink his third beer of the day.

He had started to wonder why Donovan and the rest of the Backstep team (except Ramsey) for the pasr couple of days keep on coming into his room and asking him if he was ok. It made him feel like a little kid.

He then decided to forget about them all for awhile. He wish he could go to the gym and workout because he could feel the muscles in his leg that had the cast on it were starting to relax and become loose and probably would turn to fat soon. He had not been able to walk on his leg since they pulled him out of that mine shaft. And he still had about 2 ? months to go before that damn cast could be removed from his leg.

And the worst part about having the cast was he was not able to backstep if one would come up. Donovan would have to make the trip for him. He hated being cooped up in NNL (Never Never Land) and he knew he was starting to get cabin fever.

But at that moment he was feeling exhausted . Then all of a sudden like a light bulb went off in his head that made him remember about those first three weeks after being trapped in that mine shaft and almost dying from the lack of oxygen and all of those memories that had been repressed for all those years had all came flooding back from his childhood, Father Kelly, and being in the Navy SEAL, and being in that hot box in Somalia. Those memories had been invading his dreams and his mind, he knew that the members of the Backstep team could tell that he was not acting his normal self since he came back from the mine shaft. But right now he could careless he was total exhausted and the only thing he want to do right now was to go to sleep so he turned off the TV and the lights in his room.



Part 2

Frank had been sleeping for about 2 hours or so before the nightmares started to invade his mind once again. The dream was about. When Donovan and him were in the special black ops for the CIA (Central Intelligence Agency) in Somalia where he was captured by the technicals. When Donovan sent him into check out the situation before the rest of the squad went in full
blast.

When he got a little bit too close he didn't even notice the there was anyone behind him until the stranger put around his neck a piano wire and was choking him with the wire. He tried to grab whoever was behind him to try to start fighting and to get free of the piano wire around his neck but the person who was behind him was much stronger than Frank and the stranger kept making the piano wire more tighter on his neck and it was starting to become harder for him to breath than Frank blacked out.

When he finally woke up he noticed that the ground was sandy and soft and not hard like before. Then he sat up and looked where he was and he knew he was in some contraception in the ground it looked like a box to him and there was also an opening on the top of the box and the sun was beating down on him and he noticed that it was extremely hot too. He started to look around for some water but he could not see any. And then he muttered himself " That's just perfect It's about 100 degrees in here and I'm dehydrated to even make things worse for me." So he decided to move out of the sun before he got heat stroke.

Then he started to have some pain on his neck and then he remembered about the piano wire and the stranger behind him. Then he knew he had been taken hostage and they were probably going to torture him soon to get what information they need for him.



Part 3

The whole Backstep were in the conference room except Frank was there. Then all of them jumped at the same time in their chairs because some had screamed. Then after the scream had stopped, they all looked at each other and they all knew it was Frank having another one of his nightmares which has been going on for almost a month now.

Then all of a sudden Talmedge spoke up asking them all a question about Frank. " Has anyone been able to get Frank to talk about what these nightmares he is constantly having since he came back from being trapped in that mine shaft." Talmedge stopped at that moment for them to speak up but nobody answered him so he started talking again. "Because these nightmares
are not helping him at all it is making him worse and also distanced too he just stays in his room all the time anymore."

Then Donovan spoke up "I have tried to talk to him earlier but he says he is fine plus it is not easy to get him to open up and talk about things too."

Everyone just sat there and could not come up with anything to say for a couple of seconds.

Then all of a sudden Mentor spoke up surprising everybody by saying " That maybe we should have Olga go and try to get Frank to talk about his nightmares." Olga didn't object to this suggestion made by Mentor. But if what Donovan said about Frank was true about him being stubborn to open up. Then she had a lot of work ahead of her.


Part 4

There had been nobody who had popped their head in to see Frank for the past couple of hours. And he thought that was weird to him because the past couple of days they would not leave him alone for a very long time. They must have took the hint from him that he didn't need to be watch every minute of the day. But he was starting to feel lonely with no one coming to see him. He was starting to regret pushing them away from him.

Olga had been sitting in her office for about two hours. She was looking at something on her computer screen. She was so engrossed in what was on her computer that she did not notice that Donovan was standing in her door to her office.

Then Donovan noticed that Olga did not know that he was standing there. So he walked into her office and stood in front of her desk. She then finally looked up at him from her computer and noticed him standing there looking at her.

Then Donovan spoke up to Olga. " So Olga when are you going to go and talk to Frank?" ' I don't know when but I'm sitting here reading his file when he was pulled out of the hot box in Somalia and his medical and psychologically records. It is amazing how fast he recooperated from the extensive injuries physically and mental too by what these reports say" said Olga. "

Well he is a fighter everything usually rolls off him with no problem but this has stuck with him and constantly tormented him too" commented Donovan. Then he walked out of her office before she could say anything to him.



Part 5

Frank was tired of lying in his bed in the dark. And then he decided to go find something to do. So he sat up from the bed and turned on the light above his bed it blinded his eyes for a minute then his eyes started to adjust. And he looked for his crutches. He picked them up and used them to stand up and become balanced before he started to walk.

He made his way to the door that lead to the hall out of into the NNL compound. He had not left his room for about two days or more. And he knew it had been quiet around the compound without him getting into mischief.


Part 6

Olga was in deep thought when there came a knock on her office door and she looked up at the door and there stood Frank. " Look what the dog dragged out" said Olga has she smiled at Frank.

Frank just smiled back at Olga and started to move slowly into her office to the chair in front of her desk



Part 7

After Olga finished closing his file. She looked up at him and then first times in day since she was really able to see his face up close she noticed that under both his eyes they were puffy and his eyes were extremely red from all the lack of sleep that has build up over the past month or so and his face was very pale too.

Then Frank spoke up "So what has been happening lately it has been very quiet for the past month." "Well there has been no reason for any kind of excitement or for any kind of backstep either is which is kind of weird " commented Olga.

Then Frank made the comment "Well I guess the world has settled down for a bit so my leg can heal I guess." Olga just smiled at him.


Part 8

Donovan, Ramsey, and Talmedge were all sitting in the security office watching one of the security monitor for Olga's office and were listening to Frank and Olga talking about how quiet it has been at the NNL compound for the past month.

Talmedge commented about time it was for Frank to come out of his room for awhile. Then Donovan said " I guess he was tired of being alone or he just ran out of beer." Then Talmedge said "I hope Olga get him to open up about his nightmares." "Well she should have enough information by now to get a conversation striked up and Frank will probably resist at first knowing him" said Donovan.

"What do you mean that Olga should have enough information to strike up the conversation with Frank Donovan." Well when I went into her office about an hour ago. Olga was reading Frank's file about his medical and psychologically state after he was pulled out of the hot box in Somalia" Donovan said


Part 9

When Olga was about to try to get Frank to talk about his nightmares. When all of a sudden out of nowhere Frank said. "Well I better go and let you get back to what you were working on before I came."

Frank got up from the chair and started to make his way out of her office. She did not know what to say to make him stay there with her. And then she kicked herself mentally after he was out of her view.


Part 10

Donovan and Talmedge came into her office and they shut the door behind them and Olga could just tell by the way there faces were looking that she was about to be bitched out by Talmedge and Donovan about not getting Frank to open up to her about those damn nightmares of his that have been tormenting him everytime he would go to sleep.

Talmedge and Donovan sat down in front of her desk and looked at her for about a minute or too without saying anything to her which made her feel very uncomfortable.

Then Donovan finally spoke up to Olga "So what happen to you when Frank was sitting here in your office that you couldn't ask him about his nightmares.


Part 11

Olga was trying to come up with a clever answer to Donovan's question and then it hit her. "Well I didn't think this was the best time to ask him about the nightmares." Then she looked at Donovan and Talmedge faces and they seem to be accepting her answer.

Talmedge and Donovan got up and before Talmedge left her office he turned to back around and said to Olga. "I want you to talk to him before the week is out and I want a report on m desk on Monday morning." And all Olga did to tell Talmedge she understood she nodded her head at him.

After they both left her office. She sat there at her desk thinking for about 5 minutes and then a light bulb went off in her head. She came up with the idea to get Frank to open up to her about his nightmares. But her and Frank would have to leave NNL compound. So they could be alone and have all the privacy without people (mostly Ramsey) watching and listening to their conversation. She knew there was not going to be any resistance from Frank leaving the compound. Because he loves any reason to be able to leave the compound for awhile from being monitored by Ramsey and the security team 24-7.


Part 12

Frank had been back in his room for a couple of minutes and he went and sat down at his computer. And logged on the internet to check his email. There were 2 new messages and they were from his ex-wife Pat and his son Jimmy asking him when he was coming to visit them in Washington D.C.

He sat there thinking he need a vacation from Backstep, plus he was no good to them for another 2 ? months. So he decided he should go and spend couple of weeks with Jimmy. Which he had not seen him for over a year now.

So he emailed them back telling them he planned to come next week and he was going to stay for 2 weeks. And he told Pat but not Jimmy that he had broken his leg.



Part 13

Frank had finally made it to Talmedge's office which it seemed to take forever to Frank. He knocked on his office door and Talmedge answered. "Come in", and Frank opened the door and it took him a few minutes to get in. Talmedge looked up from whatever he was looking at.

Then Frank said to him, "Bradley I was wondering if I could leave for 2 weeks to go to Washington D.C. to visit Jimmy?" Talmedge looked at him for a minute or two and said, "Well I don't see any problems for you to go but I have to talk to Ramsey first."



Part 14

Olga walked to Frank' room and knocked on the door and she stood outside there waiting for him to answer her. But there never came an answer from him. So she finally decided to go in. She looked around his room for him and there were no signs of him been in his room.

Olga was kind of worried about Frank not being in his room. She had no idea where in the hell he would be maybe in Donovan's office. But he definintly better not be in the gym if he was she would be really mad at him.

Frank was hoping really bad for it to be only good new for him. After Talmedge had sat down at his desk again. He said to Frank, "You can go to Washington D.C. but you have to take a security guard with you."



Part 15


Olga had left Frank's room about 5 minutes ago. She first went down to the gym to make sure he was not trying to workout. But when she got there he was nowhere in sight. So then she decided to go and check Donovan's office.

Olga finally got to Donovan's office and she noticed that Donovan light was on. So she walked up to the office door and looked in to see if Frank was there, but he was not only Donovan was there sitting at his desk working on some kind of paperwork.



Part 16

Olga didn't notice that Donovan had looked up from what he was doing at his desk. Then Donovan cleared his throat to get Olga's attention. "Olga do you need anything from me", Donovan said to Olga.

Olga then looked at Donovan, "No! But I have a question for you."

"Well ask away Olga."

"well have you seen Mister Parker lately?"

"No, not since earlier when he was sitting in our office this afternoon", Donovan said to answer Olga's question.


Frank had still not said anything to Talmedge, "So Frank do you still want to take those 2 weeks off to go see your son in Washington D.C." Talmedge asked Frank.

"Yeah I guess but I don't understand why I cannot go to D.C. by myself it is not like I can get into any trouble in my current condition," said Frank.



Part 17

Then Talmedge said" Frank you know that it is the NSA (National Security Agency) security policy for Operation Backstep program for are chronautor to make sure you are safe if something would happen in Washington D.C. "

"Come on Bradley you and I know that I'm damn capable to take care of myself rather than any of those damn security guards can do for me."


Olga was still standing at Donovan's door to his office. "Well Donovan if you happen to see him will you let him know that I'm looking for him because I need to talk to him" said Olga.

"No problem Olga but he is more than likely back in his room by now" Donovan said.

"Well Frank my hands are tied with this issue there is nothing I can do but tell you that you have two choices you can go with the guard to D.C. or you can stay here at NNL." "Then Frank said "Well I will come back later after I think about these choices." Then Frank left Talmedge room.



Part 18

When Frank was out in the hall. He decided he was going to go and visit Donovan for a bit to tell him about the situation that he was in. He had not told anyone else except Talmedge (and Talmedge told Ramsey). About taking a 2 week vacation.

After Olga left Donovan's office to go back to Franks' room as she walked by the gym again. She poked her head in to make sure he was not in there now which he wasn't. So she continued to his room.



Frank entered Donovan's office without even knocking. Donovan looked up when he heard the clicking of Frank's crutches on the linoleum floor.

"What's up buddy" Donovan said to Frank.

"Not much but I do need to talk to you about something." Donovan was hoping he was wanting to talk about his nightmares"

"Ok but I need to tell you that Olga's looking al over the compound for you." Then Frank said "Well I will find her later."



Part 19

Olga got back to Frank's room and didn't even knock this time. She just walked right in kind of pissed off about him not being in his room having his leg elevated. And once again he was nowhere to be found.


Frank sat down in one of the chairs in Donovan's office. And then Donovan said "So what's up Frank that you need to talk to me about."

"Well you know that I'm no good to the project with a broken leg."

"Yeah" Donovan said.

"Well I have about another 2 1/2 months before this damn cast can come off and I just talked to Talmedge about taking 2 weeks off to go to Washington D.C. to go spend some time with Jimmy because I have not seen him for over a year now. And Talmedge told me I can go but I have to take a guard with me I was wondering if you would like to go with me".


Olga was still in Frank's room. She decided the best way of finding him would be to stay in one place so she sat down in one of his chairs and turned on the TV because she knew she would probably be waiting for awhile for Parker.


Part 20

Donovan took a few seconds before he answered Parker "Yeah I would love to come with you to D.C. I would like to see how Jimmy is doing and how big he has gotten since the last time I saw him and go to visit my parents too. But do you think Ramsey will let me be your guard because he knows I wouldn't watch you 24-7 for those 2 weeks we are there."

Then Frank said "I really don't give a damn what Ramsey thinks but I think I can get Talmedge to agree on this. I guess I can go and ask him since I have an answer for him now."

"Ok but when Frank are we leaving for those 2 weeks/" Donovan said.

"Sometime next week." Parker said.



Part 21

When Frank got into Talmedge office and finally sat down once again. He had to wait about another 5 minutes before he could talk to Talmedge. Because he was on the phone with the Pentagon, Frank sure was hoping that there was not a backstep about to happen. Because then all his plans would be erased and then he would have the cast on longer too.


When Talmedge had finally hanged up the phone with the Pentagon he turned around to be surprised that Frank was sitting there. " I didn't expect you back so soon Frank. so what is your answer."

"Well I have more of a compromise than an answer for you I was wondering rather than a security guard going with me if I could take Donovan with me."

Talmedge leaned back in his chair and pulled out a cigar and lit it. "Well I don't see why not but I'm going to have talk Ramsey into it."

Then Frank smiled for the first time in weeks that Talmedge could remember. As Frank was getting up to leave he said "Thanks Bradley."


Part 22

Olga just smiled at him as he trotted into the room and then she made the comment. "Mister Parker you are a hard man to track down even when you have crutches."

"I have been around I had to go and talk with Talmedge and then Donovan. How long have you been waiting for me?"

"About 15 minutes," said Olga.

"Well Olga you have found me what do you want from me cause Donovan said that you have been looking for me all over the compound this afternoon."

"Well I was wondering if you would like to leave the compound for awhile and go to town for the evening with me." Frank got this look on his face that he could not believe she was asking him to go out with her tonight.

"Yeah sure I need to get out of here for awhile anyway where are we going."

"Well I thought we would go to Renedezous."



Part 23

Before Donovan even got to Talmedge door. He could hear Ramsey and Talmedge talking about the fact that Donovan was going with Frank to Washington D.C. instead of one of Ramsey's security guard was going.

Donovan stopped in his tracks before he got to the door. And he could just tell by Ramsey's voice that he was totally pissed off at the idea. But then Talmedge said "Come on Ramsey give Frank a damn break from all this I think it will do him good if Donovan goes with him to Washington D.C. Plus I already got authorization from the Pentagon for Donovan to go with Frank".



Part 24

Donovan just smiled to himself thinking how much he wished that Frank was right next to him. He would be laughing so hard about the fact that he got Ramsey's orders for the guard to be changed.

Then all of sudden Ramsey came out of Talmedge's office very quickly that he almost ran over Donovan. He stopped and looked at Donovan in the face and said with a very angry tone in his voice. "Well I guess Parker get his damn way again and you better make goddamn sure he does not get into any trouble in D.C.". Then Ramsey walked right by Donovan so fast that Donovan could not answer him.



Part 25

Donovan walked up to Talmedge's door and knocked on it. "Come in" Talmedge said. Donovan went in and took a seat in front of Talmedge desk.

Yes Donovan what can I help you with" Talmedge said

"I need to ask you about when I go with Frank to D.C. if I need to always be with him 24-7 for those 2 weeks".

Before Talmedge answered him he took a long drag on his cigar. "Well yes and no I know that you two being good friends and all he won't want you to watch him all the time so if you keep in contact with him at all times then no you don't have to hang around him for those 2 weeks. But I told Ramsey you would be with 24-7 for those 2 weeks but what Ramsey does
not know will not hurt him".



Part 26

Back at Rendezous Frank and Olga were sitting at the table just talking while drinking their drinks. Frank finally told Olga that next week he was going to Washington D.C. for 2 weeks to spend sometime with his son Jimmy and that Donovan was going with him too.

Olga just said "That's great I know that you have not seen your son for over a year now. And it's going to be extremely quiet at the NNL compound without you and Donovan not being there to nag Ramsey everyday".



Part 27

"Do you think Olga will get Frank to talk tonight while they are gone" Donovan asked.

"That is her plan she told me earlier when she asked for permission to take Frank out with her tonight" Talmedge said.

"Well her best bet would be to get Frank to open up to her is to get him drunk off his ass because then he will usually tell anyone anything if they ask him about something" Donovan commented.

Then Talmedge looked at Donovan and said in a very serious voice "I'm sure glad that those damn motherfucking technanicals bastards in Somalia did not know that about Frank".



Part 28

"Well after Frank had been out of the hot box for awhile in the hospital in Somalia and finally after 6 months he finally came out of his state of shock and was released. His whole life took a turn for the worst. When he went back home to Pat and Jimmy he was never the same again and he still is not.

He started to drink more. He would become agitated easily and then his relationship with Pat started to go down hill from there until she could not stand it anymore the way his behavior had changed and the way he acted toward her too" Donovan said.



Part 29

Then Olga took this opportunity to ask him about his nightmares he has been having for the past month.

Then she turned to him and said. "Hey Frank I have something I think you need to talk to me about".

"What is that Olga?" Frank asked

"Well I think you should know that everyone on the Backstep team knows for the past month or so that you been having nightmares brought on from you being trapped in that mine shaft and we are all worried about you even Ramsey (she was lying about the part that Ramsey was also worried about Frank).


Part 30

After what Donovan had said about Frank after being in that hot box for week in Somalia. "Well that is expected from anyone being tortured for that long period of time. With not having some long term effects on their psyche. And you wouldn't expect that person to act or behave the same they did before the torture" Talmedge said to Donovan.



Part 31

Frank just sat there for a good 2 minutes before he said anything to Olga.

Then Frank made the comment " Olga I do not have the slight idea what you and the rest of the team think that I'm having these nightmares for the past month."

Then Olga sat there and looked at him for a good minute before she opened up her mouth to say to him in a angry tone that caught him totally off guard. "Mister Parker I know damn well that you are lying to me to my face."

"How do you think you know that I am lying Olga" Frank asked trying to make his voice sounded innocent as much as he could.

"By your eyes because when you lie they move back and forth very fast" Olga said.



Part 32

Frank did not know what to say now to convince Olga that he was not lying to her (But in the back of his head was telling him that he should tell her about his nightmares.) But he was kind of afraid to open up to her.

Donovan was still sitting in front of Talmedge desk still talking about Frank. Then Donovan said to comment on Talmedge last statement. "Well all I know is that after Frank came out of his state of shock he recuperate very quickly so he could be checked out of the hospital in Somalia because he has always hated being in any hospital. I wished that the hospital had kept him a bit longer than maybe he wouldn't have had that mental breakdown on the mission and then he wouldn't had to go and stay at that damn CIA mental institute Hansen Island.


Part 33

All of Frank's life he had basically kept to himself and everything bad that ever happen to him was bottled up inside of him. And he knew that was not a good thing to do at all. And it seemed to always backfire in his face whenever he would open up to someone (including Pat).

Every time he let someone get close to him (except Donovan who stuck by him through thick and thin which he was truthfully grateful for.) would usually stab him in the back. Which made him more and more afraid to open up and talk.



Part 34

If Frank had anything that was really bothering him he would usually drown his problems, worries, and fears with a lot of beer so the problems would be pushed back into his deepest parts of his brain.

But he knew he need to get over his fear with not trusting people especially if he ever plans to have a relationship with Olga.


END PART 34