One of the best benefits to making Demon Under Glass was the opportunity to go to the South of France to attend the Cannes Film Market or Marche du Cannes. It is the film trade show that happens at the same time as the Cannes Film Festival. Since the Market was in May as is my birthday, we thought we should find a way to spend a  little time in Paris. We had a very small room in a very small hotel but it was a nice hotel with a great breakfast of baguettes and butter and cheese and coffee. You can tell how beautiful a city is when it looks great even in the rain. It rained a lot while we were there, but there was still so much to get us out of our hotel and onto the street. We found even ordinary things like the subway and bus ads fascinating. We did all the typical things like visit the Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame and the Louvre. We spent a lot of time on the Champs Elysees, but we also enjoy the streets and markets near our hotel. There was also some work done on behalf of the film. Garett and Jon spoke to French media at Planet Hollywood. All in all, we realized that six days is a silly amount of time to try to see such a city. We hope we can go back again soon.





















The same was true for Cannes. Two weeks wasn't enough. I'd love to have a house there. Again, we had a nice room in a small hotel in a town just over from the main action.  Our hotel had a wonderful innkeeper who was a huge fan of our little film. He even followed the foreign press coverage. We loved the little lobby where we had great breakfasts again of breads and cheese and coffee and fruit and juice.



















The Cannes Market is a gigantic trade show that deals with nothing but selling films from the lowly to the Oscar winners to the international markets. We were only able to get a small sliver of an overview of the entire floor. It was an exhausting place to walk around. Beyond the Market there was the hoopla around the festival and the main drag in Cannes. It was all impressive. I kept expecting to see Robin Leech. Then there were the pavilions where various countries lobbied for film business while giving their countrymen where they could rest and get their native foods or answer their e-mail.  Some promoted their films like Michael Moore.  We had phone interviews to do and questions to answer from media online. One of my favorite things about the American Pavilion was their choice of guest chef. I was most excited to meet Food Network's Tyler Florence who is even better looking in person! Of curse, the main attraction in that beautiful town are it's beautiful beaches. I don't think I've seen a prettier ocean.





















Senor Hooves

Senor Hooves is a plastic horse that first made his appearance in my life at Borders Santa Monica. He came in a box of display materials then ended up in our break room. Eventually, he was put in Craig's locker. Craig made him the subject of many adventures via employee e-mail. Then he was given to me as a housewarming present. Since then, he has become a big part of my life and my travels. He was in our wedding and he has been with me to Philly and New York and Toronto. He's traveled with our room mate through Frankford, Germany and Riga, Latvia. He's better traveled than any little plastic horse ought to be.  Of course, he had to travel with us to France. Most of his time was spent in our hotel rooms as part of our hotel shrines. We always have a hotel shrine to bring us luck and prosperity during a trip. However, he did get to enjoy the Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame in Paris. And in Cannes, he really loved the Mediterranean Sea. He was also wildly popular with the security guards at the Marche du Cannes.
















Our final couple of days in France were very interesting. We decided to take the train to Paris and stay in a motel overnight and catch our plane in the early morning, with the help of two  wonderful ladies who had been our guardians throughout the trip. Thanks to Michele and Sylvette, we got a reservation on the bullet train. That was a wonderful way to quickly see some beautiful countryside. Jon enjoyed counting the castles and nuclear power plants. Our motel was a fascinating study in efficiency. Jon likened it to being in the HBO series Oz, but we were very tired. We did get enough rest for the grueling 16 hour trip home. All in all a great adventure that I wouldn't mind doing again.

These images are the property of NovaD and may not be reproduced without permission.







Gallery Home Page
Demon Under Glass