INFORMATION ON SUBSCRIBING TO THE FOREVER KNIGHT INTERNET MAILING LISTS To subscribe to any of the Forever Knight Internet mailing lists, send a message to LISTSERV@LISTS.PSU.EDU with the following in the body of the message: SUBSCRIBE Listname Firstname Lastname substituting the appropriate list name and your own first and last names where indicated. The subject line of the message isn't important since the listserver ignores subject lines (just leave it blank). Do not sign your message or use .sig files. Put ONLY the command line in the body of the message. The lists are: FORKNI-L - for general discussion of Forever Knight and FK fandom FKFIC-L - for posting fan fiction (and only fan fiction -- NO discussion) FKV4S-L - for discussion of the FK Virtual Fourth Season stories which are posted on FKFIC-L You can subscribe to any combination of lists at once by sending several commands in the same message, like this: SUBSCRIBE FORKNI-L Firstname Lastname SUBSCRIBE FKFIC-L Firstname Lastname SUBSCRIBE FKV4S-L Firstname Lastname You will receive a confirmation request from the listserver before you are signed on; follow the instructions to send your confirmation. When you subscribe to any of the FK mailing lists, be sure to read the list rules carefully and save them in a safe place. It's a good idea to print them out and keep them near your computer. Many hundreds of people are on the lists, and the list rules help keep everything running smoothly. :^) To send mail to FORKNI-L after you've subscribed, you mail it to FORKNI-L@LISTS.PSU.EDU. And double-check when replying to posts from any of the lists, because replies may automatically go to the whole list. If you want to reply privately, you usually have to cut and paste the e-mail address of the original poster. (If you just want to agree with a post, tell the person you liked what they said, or ask them for more info, please reply privately rather than on-list.) There are several subscription options for each of the lists: MAIL, DIGEST, and NOMAIL. If you are set to MAIL you get each message individually; if you are set to DIGEST you get 1-4 large messages per day that compile a large number of posts. This is easier to handle because of the high volume of the lists, but makes it harder to reply to individual postings. I recommend starting on DIGEST mode to reduce your download time and also get used to the type of interaction that takes place on the list. FKFIC-L is usually easiest to handle in MAIL mode since this makes it easier to put together different parts of the same story. To set yourself to DIGEST mode, send a message to LISTSERV@LISTS.PSU.EDU with the following in the message body: SET listname DIGEST Put either FORKNI-L or FKFIC-L in place of the listname (or send two commands at once, one line per command, if you want to set yourself to DIGEST mode on both lists). Use the same basic command structure to set yourself to any of the modes -- MAIL, DIGEST, or NOMAIL. The default is MAIL mode -- when you sign up, you'll get individual postings until you set yourself to DIGEST or NOMAIL. If you are going out of town or otherwise decide you want to temporarily stop getting mail from the list, you should choose the NOMAIL option. SET listname NOMAIL To sign off or unsubscribe permanently, send the following in the body of your message to LISTSERV@LISTS.PSU.EDU: SIGNOFF FORKNI-L SIGNOFF FKFIC-L SIGNOFF FKV4S-L Good luck and have fun on the lists! :^)