How to Make Your Own
Blair and Jim Dolls

Page owned by Nancy Taylor

As promised, here are more pictures of my Jim and Blair dolls, including the autograph on little Blair's tummy. Click on the picture to see the full-sized version. They are posed, in the last picture, with their "spirit guides" ("Velvet" the panther, and "Nanook" the 'wolf'). I believe, but I'm not certain, that both Velvet and Nanook have been retired. If you cannot find them at your local shops that sell Ty Beanie Babies, try eBay. That's always a good source for getting the little critters.


The final picture in the above series, of Garett signing my Blair doll, was taken by Terry Eutsler of the Robert R. Fletcher Studios. This photo, and many others of the Moonridge event can be seen and purchased at http://www.proeventlab.com (ID: fletcher Password: moonridge).

Now for the instructions, for those of you who really want to make these for yourselves. The basic Ty Beanie Kids dolls you'll need are: "Princess" for Blair, and "Buzz" and Jim. You'll need two sets of the "School Days" clothes, too, if you are doing both dolls. If you have trouble finding the dolls locally, put "Ty Beanie Kids" into the Google search engine, and you will come up with several online retailers that sell the dolls and clothes for reasonable prices.

The Blair doll takes the entire "School Days" outfit, except for the cap. Dress him appropriately, along with his backpack, and he's nearly ready to go. You can get the silver earrings at a costume jewelry store such as the Claire's shops found in many malls. Piercing the ear is a little difficult, but worth the effort. The glasses can be picked up at any large craft store in the doll making section. I also picked up small beads and heavy black thread to make my Blair a necklace, as well. As a side note, I did trim the hair a bit. I cut the bangs nearly all the way off and evened out the hair to shoulder length.

The Jim doll is easier and harder, depending on how you look at it. To make Jim, you need only the pants, shoes and cap from the School Days set. That's the easy part. The hard part is getting the sweater. I'm a knitter, and have made several Jim-sweater recreations for the Jim teddy bears that Susan Williams makes (visit Sweaters by Nancy). Unfortunately, the only sweater that can be recreated in a small enough size for these dolls is Jim's fisherman cable from "Killers". For those of you truly interested in having the set, contact me and perhaps we can work out a reasonable deal on the sweater. I wouldn't mind making them if there's a need.

That about covers it. If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me at nat1228@comcast.net.

Return to Moonridge 2002

This page created July 16, 2002