Code Name: Kitsunegari
Code Number: 5X08
Crime(s): Homicide, Assault
Suspect(s): Robert Patrick Modell; Linda Bowman
Status: Closed
Location(s): Lorton, Virginia; Occoquan, Virginia; Falls Church, Virginia; Annandale, Virginia
Investigating Agent(s): Sp. Agts. Fox Mulder, Dana Scully; A.D. Skinner

Agts. Mulder and Scully and Assistant Director Skinner traveled with other Bureau agents and U.S. Marshals to the Lorton Penitentiary Hospital Ward in Lorton, Virginia, from which Robert Patrick Modell, suspect in Case File 3X17 (Code Name: Pusher), had escaped early that morning. Orderlies at the Penitentiary hospital where Modell had been held reported that, following his regular session of physical therapy for the gunshot wound he had received from Agt. Mulder during his arrest in 1996, Modell, who had appeared to be in a weak and near-vegetative state, had retired as usual to his cell. Late that night, an orderly identified only as "Chuck," drawn by the flashing of Modell's call light, had entered the cell and discovered Modell, lying on his bed, apparently trying to speak. At approximately 6:14 the following morning, another orderly, identified as Mr. Piero, discovered the door of Modell's cell standing open and his partner in a disoriented state. When asked Modell's whereabouts, Chuck stated only that Modell "had to go."

At the Penitentiary, A.D. Skinner informed agents and marshals of the known facts of Modell's escape. Agts. Mulder and Scully then informed the agents and marshals of Modell's serial murder record, high intelligence, sociopathology, and delusions of being a Japanese warrior. They also alerted the group to Modell's unusual ability to delude and persuade others to do his bidding-which had led to his self-subscribed nickname, "Pusher." Privately, Agt. Scully informed Agt. Mulder that because of a terminal brain tumor and recent comatose state, Modell's physical condition was extremely weakened. She also expressed her concern that should Modell pick-up where he left off, Agt. Mulder would be his prime target.

Meanwhile, Modell entered a sporting goods store in Occoquan, Virginia. An employee identified only as "Todd," alerted to Modell's identity by a television news report, took up an aluminum baseball bat with the apparent intention of subduing Modell. Modell used his unusual powers of suggestion to convince Todd that the bat was actually a poisonous snake, and further persuaded Todd to remove the "snake" from the store. Modell then ate a Carbo-Bar snack.

Later that morning, at the Penitentiary, Agts. Mulder and Scully interviewed Modell's physical therapist. Questioned by Agt. Mulder, the physical therapist stated that Modell had received visits only from nuns of the Little Sisters of Charity, who habitually visit inmates. As they discussed Modell's behavior, a telephone call for Agt. Mulder was received from Modell. Agt. Mulder spoke to Modell on the telephone while agents attempted to trace the call. While Modell asked Agt. Mulder to hear him out, Agt. Scully urged Agt. Mulder to resist Modell's powers of suggestion. Agt. Mulder hung up the phone. Having successfully traced the call, the agents proceeded immediately to the sporting goods store in Occoquan, where Agt. Mulder discovered the empty Carbo-Bar wrapper. Agt. Mulder then spotted a man wearing Modell's prison clothing up the street, pursued and apprehended him, only to discover Todd, who appeared disoriented and stated only that Modell "had to go."

Meanwhile, Modell had entered the residence of a Loudon County prosecuting attorney identified as Nathan Bowman, who had prosecuted Modell following his arrest by Agt. Mulder in 1996. Agts. Mulder and Scully and A.D. Skinner arrived at the Bowman residence a short time later. Bowman, deceased, was propped on a couch completely covered in Cerulean blue paint, apparently having died from ingesting the same. A Japanese ideogram, translated by a female agent as "kitsunegari," or "fox hunt," had been painted repeatedly about the room. The agents deduced that the ideogram referred to Agt. Mulder. Agt. Mulder then placed a telephone call to NovaMax Realty, where Nathan Bowman's wife, identified as Linda Bowman, was employed, and learned that Mrs. Bowman had left the office to meet with a prospective client, who had identified himself as Fox Mulder, at a commercial property in Falls Church, Virginia. Two uniformed officers of the Falls Church Police Department, responding to a call from A.D. Skinner, proceeded to 214 Channel Avenue, the address of that commercial property, and entered the building. One of the officers, prompted by Modell, tracked Modell through the building. When the officer confronted Modell with his weapon drawn, Modell appeared to surrender to the officer; in fact, deluded by Modell, the officer had drawn on and detained his own partner. A. D. Skinner, Agts. Mulder and Scully, other agents and marshals, and uniformed officers arrived at the scene. Mrs. Bowman arrived moments later.

Agts. Mulder and Scully and A.D. Skinner interviewed Mrs. Bowman, who evinced sorrow and shock at the death of her husband, and fear and surprise at news that Modell had escaped from prison. The agents placed Mrs. Bowman in protective custody. Privately, Agts. Mulder and Scully discussed the fact that Modell had declined to murder the uniformed officers. They borrowed police radios in order to search the area. From a building across the street, Modell observed Agt. Mulder approach. Agt. Mulder entered the building and discovered a Carbo-Bar wrapper. Weapon drawn, he proceeded to the floor above and discovered Modell. Agt. Mulder called on the radio for Agt. Scully. Modell attempted to persuade Agt. Mulder to listen to what he had to say; Agt. Mulder responded heatedly. As Agt. Scully approached the building with backup, they discovered Agt. Mulder leaving the building. Agt. Mulder stated only that Modell "had to go."

Having informed A.D. Skinner via cell phone of Modell's escape, Agt. Scully discussed the event with Agt. Mulder. Agt. Mulder described Modell as having sought him out and having urged him not to "play the game." He again noted that Modell had declined to kill the officers and Agt. Mulder. When reminded by Agt. Scully that Modell had killed Mr. Bowman, Agt. Mulder reserved judgement. Agt. Scully suggested that Modell had affected Mulder's mind. Agt. Mulder wondered aloud why Modell was pursuing Mrs. Bowman. The agents agreed to question Mrs. Bowman once more.

The agents proceeded to the FBI safe house in Annandale, Virginia, where Mrs. Bowman was held in protective custody and again interviewed her. Mrs. Bowman described her deceased husband as having been proud of his successful prosecution of Modell. She further informed the agents that she and Mr. Bowman had been married only two months, and had known each other only two days before their marriage. Struck by Mrs. Bowman's metaphoric references to painting while describing her husband, Agt. Mulder privately informed Agt. Scully and A.D. Skinner that he believed Mrs. Bowman had murdered Mr. Bowman. A.D. Skinner and Agt. Scully agreed that Agt. Mulder had become irrational. A.D. Skinner suspended Agt. Mulder from active duty and relieved him of his weapon.

Disregarding A.D. Skinner's orders, Agt. Mulder proceeded to the Penitentiary hospital, where he again interviewed the physical therapist. The physical therapist informed Agt. Mulder that one of the nuns of the Little Sisters of Charity who had visited Modell before his escape had once referred to Modell as a "conquered warrior." Agt. Mulder showed a photograph of Mrs. Bowman to the physical therapist, who without her glasses could not identify her as the nun; while the therapist took a telephone call, Agt. Mulder searched for the therapist's glasses. Apparently under instructions from the person on the telephone, the therapist electrocuted herself by placing her hand in a nearby electrical junction box. Agt. Mulder called for help and attempted to revive the therapist. Meanwhile, at the safe house in Annandale, a uniformed officer drove Modell to the gate. Using his extraordinary powers of suggestion, Modell ordered the marshal at the gate to go home. Modell entered the safe house and then entered the room in which Mrs. Bowman was held, locking the door behind him.

From the Penitentiary, Agt. Mulder called Agt. Scully and learned that Agt. Scully and marshals were at a mall investigating a suicide. He informed her that the safe house switchboard was not answering his calls. Meanwhile, at the safe house, A.D. Skinner noted an absence of marshals. Drawing his weapon, he attempted to enter Mrs. Bowman's room and found it locked. He kicked the door open and entered the room, discovering Modell and Mrs. Bowman. A.D. Skinner ordered Modell to lie on the floor. Modell stated he had a gun, and then appeared to point a pistol at A.D. Skinner, who fired on Modell, critically wounding him. Modell was apprehended, treated by medics at the safe house, and then removed to Annandale Community Medical Center to undergo surgery. Agt. Mulder then arrived at the scene. A.D. Skinner angrily insisted that, despite the absence of a gun at the scene, Modell had indeed drawn a gun. Privately, Agts. Mulder and Scully argued-Agt. Scully insisted that the case was now closed, though Agt. Mulder felt Modell had purposely drawn Skinner's fire, and he (Mulder) would therefore interview Modell after the surgery.

At the Annandale Community Medical Center, Agt. Mulder waited by Modell's bedside for Modell to regain consciousness. Mrs. Bowman entered the doorway of the room. She had pinned to her blouse an index card on which the word "nurse" was written. Persuaded by Mrs. Bowman's unusual powers of suggestion that she was one of the hospital nurses, Agt. Mulder complied with her request that he briefly leave the room. Mrs. Bowman and Modell then argued. Modell urged her not to make a mistake and to stop; Mrs. Bowman insisted that she would finish what Modell had started. Modell appeared to be in extreme pain. At Mrs. Bowman's suggestion, Modell's heart decelerated and he expired. Agt. Mulder returned to find Modell pronounced dead. On a side table, Agt. Mulder found the index card Mrs. Bowman had pinned to her blouse. Noting the address on the back of the index card, Agt. Mulder proceeded to the commercial building from which Modell had earlier escaped, at 214 Channel Avenue.

On entering the building, Agt. Mulder heard what he believed to be Agt. Scully's voice, and followed to her location. Mrs. Bowman, appearing to be Agt. Scully, pointed her pistol at Agt. Mulder, insisting that Mrs. Bowman was causing her to do so. Agt. Scully then appeared to shoot herself in the head. As Agt. Mulder went to Agt. Scully, a woman who appeared to be Mrs. Bowman approached and informed him that she was in fact Agt. Scully. Agt. Mulder expressed disbelief that the woman was Agt. Scully. Mrs. Bowman rose from the floor behind Agt. Mulder; Agt. Scully shot her. Agt. Mulder's confusion was then relieved.

In A.D. Skinner's office at Bureau Headquarters, Agts. Mulder and Scully reported to A.D. Skinner that Mrs. Bowman was Modell's fraternal twin, with powers of suggestion and an advanced temporal lobe tumor similar to Modell's. Having learned of her brother's existence six months earlier, she had attempted to seek revenge on those who had arrested, prosecuted, and imprisoned Modell. Privately, A. D. Skinner commended Agt. Mulder for his work on the case. Agt. Mulder expressed an undefined dissatisfaction at the case's resolution.