Stanley Park

Stanley Park has three large sandy beaches, a new heated Second Beach Pool, numerous promontories for picture-taking, an outdoor theater (in summer only) and, at Lost Lagoon, entire families of swans, ducks and Canada Geese. You'll also find the Vancouver Cricket Club, plus Totem Poles at Lumbermen's Arch, a Rose Garden planted in 1920, and the Shakespeare Garden, which was planted in 1921. The HMSC Discovery naval base is also there, but the public is not allowed in. There are 22 miles of forested hiking trails, and bicycles and rollerblades can be rented at Denman and Georgia.

Stanley Park's main attractions are the Vancouver Aquarium, the Pitch n' Putt Golf Course, the Children's Farmyard, the Miniature Railway, and Stanley Park Horse Drawn Tours. The famous mini-replica of the first Canadian Pacific Railway engine completed its inaugural Trans-Canada journey in 1886. This 8-minute pleasure trip takes passengers on a sylvan cruise through towering evergreens typical of the Pacific Northwest rain forest. From May 16th to September 13th, a shuttle service visits Stanley Park's 10 most popular attractions. The service is free and runs from 9:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. daily. Nearby is the ever-popular Children's Farmyard where an amazing variety of domesticated animals, including many rare and endangered breeds, are free to roam and nuzzle visitors within this spacious fenced area.

Beginning in March through to October, Stanley Park Horse Drawn Tours Ltd. provides professional guided and fully narrated, one hour rides which include Deadman's Island, Vancouver's Harbor, the Lion's Gate Bridge, a Coastal Red Cedar Forest, with stops at the famous Totem Poles, the Girl in a Wet Suit Statue, the S.S. Empress of Japan Figurehead, and the Rose Gardens. An Express Bus to Stanley Park is also offered to customers of the Vancouver Aquarium and the Stanley Park Horse Drawn Tours. Services operate between 10 downtown Vancouver locations and the Information Booth in Stanley Park.

(Above information taken from Visitor's Choice, Fall 1998, Vancouver magazine.)

Now, on to the pictures... Click on thumbnail for a larger view of an image.
 


105kb
[seagull]
111kb
[squirrel]
110kb
[swans]
147kb
[whale]
113kb

Back to CouverCon