Deep Cover I: The Truth... and Nothing But the Truth

 

Zdrastvuytye (1). Well, at long last my 'short' story is finished.

This is my first piece of Mulder/Krycek fiction; hell, it's my very first piece of X-Files fiction, so please be kind.

Title: Deep Cover I: The Truth ... and Nothing But the Truth
Author: Mrs. Fish
Fandom: X-Files
Pairing: Mulder/Krycek
Rating: NC-17
Warnings: Graphic m/m sex, language, and major angst. This piece is also rather dark in places. Season 3 & 4 spoilers.
Status: Completed
Date: 4/22/97
E-mail address for feedback: mrs_fish@hotmail.com
Series/sequel: Deep Cover series.
Bookcover: https://www.squidge.org/~mrs_fish/xfiles/bookcovers/deep_cover1.jpg
Summary: A mysterious informant's revelations cause Mulder to re-evaluate his feelings about Krycek. Set post-Terma.

Disclaimer: This story is written for the private entertainment of fans. No infringement of any copyrights held by Ten Thirteen Productions, Fox, Chris Carter or others is intended. This story is not published for profit, and the author does not give permission for this story to be reproduced for profit. The author makes no claims on the characters or their portrayal by the creation of this story.

I have created (in my twisted little mind) a background for Alex Krycek, and hopefully, an explanation for why he behaves the way he does. God, I need a life!

Comments and criticisms are most welcome and certainly encouraged. I hope you enjoy it. Russian translations are found at the end of the story.

Note: The medical information contained in this story is purely a figment of my imagination. Blame the Sesame Street reference on my 17 year-old daughter.

And last, but certainly not least, I'd like to thank my wonderful husband of 22 years, Dave a.k.a. "Fish", himself a computer guru. For without his expertise in the field of all things computer-related, the hacking scenes would never have been written.


Alexandria, VA
9:23 p.m.

It had been one hell of a week. The kind of week that made you wish you were on a deserted tropical island basking in the sun; gentle ocean breezes caressing your body like a lover.

Fox Mulder sighed heavily, leaned back against the elevator wall and closed his eyes. Testifying before Congress was not one of his favorite things to do, even on a good day. But when the testimony was before a Congressional sub-committee on alleged misconduct within the FBI, specifically within the X Files, Mulder found himself in a fouler mood than usual.

The elevator door opened and he trudged down the hallway to his apartment. Jacket and tie were quickly discarded and thrown over a chair before calling for a pizza. Now all he had to do was relax. He grabbed a beer from the fridge and made his way to the bedroom to change.


Alex Krycek watched the apartment from across the street, safely hidden among the shadows that had been his home for far too long. He knew he was taking a risk by being there, but this was where he needed to be. This was where he wanted to be. Not exactly in this spot -- he'd much rather be in Mulder's apartment, naked and wrapped in the other man's arms -- not that he ever would be. Mulder would sooner kill him than fuck him; and considering the way he felt right now, that option was looking better and better all the time.

He reached out and absentmindedly massaged his left shoulder, trying to erase the dull ache that was a constant reminder of his last adventure with Mulder. He shivered and clutched at a tree for support as a wave of dizziness assailed him. When he'd recovered, he wiped the sweat from his forehead, leaned against the tree, and resumed his surveillance.


Mulder sank down on the sofa, flipped open another beer, and turned on the tube. After going through the channels twice, he decided on a movie. Maybe a porno flick -- nothing like a good jack off session to relieve the tensions of the day. A slow smile crossed his lips and he shook his head. 'After the pizza,' he thought.

He opened the video cabinet and was surprised when an unmarked manila envelope fell out. Momentarily forgetting the movie, Mulder returned to the sofa and opened it. A familiar object fell into his lap and his heart began to race. 'Calm down, Mulder. It's just a DAT tape. It's not the DAT tape. It couldn't be. Or could it?' He grabbed the phone and dialed his partner's number.

"Scully."

"It's me. I need you to meet me at the office right away."

"Mulder, it's been a long day. I was just about to take a bath."

"You mean you're naked right now?"

"Knock it off, Mulder. And for your information, I am not naked. I'm wearing a robe."

"You take all the fun out of life, Scully. Look, this is really important. Someone left me a present and I need to check it out, but I want you there with me."

There was a moment's silence before she answered. "OK, but this better be good or I swear you're going to regret it."

"Scully, I guarantee it'll be more exciting than taking a bath." He clicked off the phone and hurried out the door.


FBI Headquarters
J. Edgar Hoover Building
10:06 p.m.

The basement office was dark except for the soft glow of the computer screen illuminating Mulder's face. He and Scully were staring intently at the file retrieved from the DAT tape.

"And you have no idea who gave this to you?"

"Well, I have a pretty good idea. I know who had it last."

"No way, Mulder. You can't honestly believe that Krycek left you that tape."

"He was the last person in possession of it."

"Mulder, the man is a cold-blooded killer. He killed your father..."

"No."

"What do you mean, no?"

"I don't believe he killed my father, Scully. Just like he didn't kill Melissa. I think he was set up by Cancer Man. They needed a patsy, and Krycek was the obvious choice. He's always been a random factor in the scheme of things. They knew he was a threat to their organization."

"You've obviously given this a lot of thought."

"More than you know."

"OK, let's say Krycek did give you the tape. The next question is why?"

"Remember what he said? 'These men fear one thing -- exposure. You expose... him... expose his crimes; you destroy the destroyer's ability to destroy.' Maybe he's giving us the evidence we need to finally bring these people into the spotlight."

"What do we do now?"

"First thing we do is find someplace to stash this tape. Any ideas?"

"Not off the top of my head. What about Skinner? Should we bring him in on this?"

"Definitely. Why don't you go back home, and I'll stop by his place with the tape. Maybe he can suggest a good hiding place."

"Are you sure you want to do this alone?"

"Don't worry about me, Scully. I'll be fine. Besides, I wouldn't want to deprive you of your bath any longer than was necessary. I'll keep you posted."

"Be careful, Mulder. You know what these people are capable of."

Mulder made sure she was gone before shutting down, pocketing the tape, and walking out the door.


Crystal City, Virginia
11:17 p.m.

Assistant Director Walter Skinner stared into the glass tumbler in his hands much like a seer gazing into a crystal ball. Only he was smart enough to realize there wouldn't be any answers coming from the pale brown liquid. He took another sip and closed his eyes, feeling the warmth of the alcohol settle in his belly.

Normally he would enjoy this time alone, admiring the city's lights from his balcony. But not tonight. Tonight he felt anger... and just a touch of fear.

Someone was putting pressure on his section; trying to discredit them. Skinner had a pretty good idea who was behind it. What he wouldn't give to get that cigarette smoking bastard alone in a dark alley for five minutes...

His reverie was interrupted by a loud knock on his front door. As he downed the last of his drink, he wondered what else the Fates had decided to drop in his lap.


"Who is it?"

"It's Agent Mulder, sir. I need to speak with you."

Skinner opened the door and invited the younger man in. "It's late, Agent Mulder."

"I'm sorry to disturb you, sir, but I need your assistance." Mulder handed his boss the DAT tape.

"Where the hell did you get this?"

"Someone left it in my apartment. I think it was Krycek."

"Krycek? Why the hell would he give this to you when he went to so much trouble to get it back in the first place?" Skinner recalled his painful encounter with Krycek and the other two goons in the hospital stairway.

"I have a theory..." When the AD didn't interrupt, Mulder continued. "I think Krycek was the fall guy. Cancer Man viewed him as a threat and tried to kill him. So now Krycek wants payback."

"That's pure conjecture on your part. You don't even know Krycek was the one who gave you this tape, or if the tape is genuine."

"It's genuine. Scully and I checked it out before I brought it here."

Skinner stared at the tape in his hands, turning it over several times. "What do you want me to do, Agent Mulder?"

"Find someplace safe to hide that tape. I'll let you know if anything else develops. Good night, sir." Mulder turned for the door.

"Agent Mulder... you're playing a dangerous game. I wouldn't trust Krycek even if he delivered Cancer Man to me naked and hog tied."

Mulder laughed. "I didn't know you were into bondage, Walter."

"Very funny. I mean it... Watch your back."

"I will, sir. Thank you."

Skinner closed the door, leaned against it, and let out a long breath. "If you only knew, Fox..."


It was a typical seedy motel in the red light district. A place where cash guaranteed anonymity. Krycek flipped on the bathroom light and waited until the roaches scurried into hiding before entering. He pulled off his T-shirt and threw it into the other room, turned on the cold water and splashed it over his face and neck. Another wave of dizziness struck along with stabbing pain to his stomach, and he clutched the sink for support.

"Oh, shit..." Alex dropped in front of the toilet and began to retch violently for several minutes. He sunk to the floor, resting his cheek against the cool tiles.

'Please just let me live long to enough to see that black lunged bastard taken down. That's all I ask.'

He lay there for several minutes before the cold forced him to move. It took every ounce of strength he had to crawl into the bedroom and get in the bed before passing out.


Washington, DC
One Week Later

The envelopes had been coming every day, each one containing a bit more information on the dealings of the Consortium. Skinner said the audio and videotapes alone were enough to nail Cancer Man's ass, but he was willing to wait for all the evidence before turning it over to the Justice Department. Mulder had seriously considered staking out his own apartment, but realized if Krycek was the one filtering him the information, he'd never let himself be seen.

Mulder unlocked his apartment door and immediately went to the video cabinet. This time a standard business envelope was inside. He tore it open, pulled out the note, and read:

'So, you've finally decided to show yourself,' Mulder thought. 'Don't disappoint me, Alex.'


New York City
8:21 p.m.

One by one the six men arrived and took their place around the polished mahogany table. They each had wealth, power, influence, and anonymity... or so they believed. It was the threat of discovery that had brought them hastily together.

The final member entered the room and took his place at the head of the table. His face was grim as he spoke; his accent even more pronounced. "Gentlemen, we have a serious problem. Alex Krycek is still alive and has apparently been gathering evidence about our operation and passing it along to the FBI. A portion of that evidence has already been turned over to the Justice Department for processing. Now before you begin panicking, let me assure you that none of us in this room is identified. However, our Washington connection is... and that makes him a threat to us all."

"What about Krycek?"

"Mr. Krycek is no longer an active participant in our little drama."

"Is he dead?"

"Not yet, but he soon will be."

"And our cigarette smoking friend?"

"Arrangements are being made as we speak. His silence will be assured. So, if there are no more questions gentlemen, this meeting is adjourned. I will keep you all apprised of developments as they occur."


Convention Center Garage
12:57 a.m.

Mulder killed the engine and got out of the car to wait for his informant. Ten minutes later a soft footfall spun him on his heels, gun drawn.

"Jesus, Mulder. Do you only know how to beat me up or stick a gun in my face when you see me?"

Mulder stared at the young man standing before him. Krycek was about ten pounds thinner than he'd been in Tunguska. Dark circles had taken up permanent residence beneath his green eyes; they contrasted starkly with his pale skin. Beads of sweat covered his face and he was shivering uncontrollably. Mulder holstered his gun and took a step toward him.

"Are you all right, Krycek? You don't look so well."

Alex backed up, thinking Mulder might actually punch him. A wave of dizziness hit him instead, and he found himself falling. Strong arms surrounded him and lowered him to the ground, cradling him there.

"Krycek? Alex, answer me!" Mulder felt for Krycek's pulse -- it was strong, but racing. The man in his arms was burning up, the heat seeping through his leather jacket as if it were a sieve.

Krycek opened his eyes, trying to focus on the man holding him.

"Mulder..."

"You're in bad shape, Alex. Can you stand long enough for me to put you in the car?"

"I'm not going anywhere with you, Mulder. Here, this is what you came for." Krycek reached in his jacket and pulled out a manila envelope identical to the ones that had been left at Mulder's apartment. "Take it and get the hell out of here."

"And leave you like this? No way! C'mon, I'm taking you out of here."

"I said..." Krycek gasped and tried to curl into a ball as pain ripped through his body. After a few minutes it subsided.

"How long have you been like this?"

"Why the fuck do you care!? Look, Mulder, if you really want to do something for me, take out your gun, put a bullet in my head and put me out of my misery."

"Sorry, you must have me confused with Agent Kevorkian of the Michigan Bureau."

Alex shot him a 'I'm not in the mood for your sick humor' look.

"OK, let's get some things straight. First, I promise I'm not going to hurt you. Second, I'm not going to arrest you. Third, I'll do everything I can to protect you. Did I leave anything out?"

"Just why."

"Because... because I've been re-evaluating our relationship. And I've come to the conclusion that due to some perverted twist of fate we really are on the same side -- and we need each other... alive. So, do we have an understanding?"

Krycek sighed and nodded in the affirmative. Mulder eased him into a sitting position, then moved behind him and lifted him up. The older man settled Krycek comfortably in the car before getting in himself.

Mulder turned to face the back seat. "Oh, and Alex... try not to puke. I just had the car washed today."


They'd only driven a few blocks when a sharp cry came from the back seat. Krycek was doubled over, panting from the pain.

"Oh, God, make it stop! Please make it stop!"

Mulder pulled over and crawled in the back seat, reaching for Krycek. He was greeted by a deep intake of breath as Alex's eyes glazed over and his body began to convulse. Mulder watched in horror, helpless to do anything except pray that Krycek wouldn't die. After a long five minutes, the other man's body relaxed and he slipped into unconsciousness.


Dana Scully reached across her night stand, then mumbled sleepily into the phone. "This better be important, Mulder."

"I'm parked outside your apartment. I have a medical emergency and I need someone who's willing to turn a blind eye."

Scully sat up, the sleepiness of a moment before forgotten as adrenaline pumped through her system. "Are you all right? What happened?" She got out of bed and quickly began dressing.

"Scully, please help me..."

Dana's chest constricted at the anguished plea from her partner. "I'm on my way."


Mulder looked up as Scully opened the car door. He was sitting on the floor of the back seat, holding Alex's hand and caressing his face, trying to elicit some type of response from the younger man.

"Krycek?... Mulder, what the hell's going on?"

"He's sick, Scully -- fever, dizziness, pain. He started convulsing, then passed out. That was fifteen minutes ago. Can you help him?"

"You want me to help him? Have you lost your mind? This man has done more to destroy our lives..."

"Dana please! I'll explain everything later. I promise. Please... don't let him die."

Scully wondered if her partner had finally gone over the edge. "All right, Mulder. I'll sit with Krycek while you drive."

"Where are we going?"

"Virginia; I have a friend who runs a practice from her home. She's discreet."


Alexandria, Virginia
2:47 a.m.

Mulder had Krycek over his shoulder in a fireman's hold, swaying a little under his weight. Scully had gone ahead to wake her friend, Dr. Elizabeth Chandler.

Once inside the 'clinic', Krycek was placed on an examination table and his jacket and shirt removed. Mulder stepped back to allow the doctors better access to their patient.

"Oh my God..."

"Scully, what's wrong?" Mulder moved next to his partner and looked down at Krycek. Scully was holding his left arm -- or what should have been his left arm. A prosthesis had taken its place.

"It must have happened when we were in the forest in Tunguska. After I escaped from the camp. The natives said the only way to stop the tests was to cut off your left arm."

"Dana, we need to get some fluid into him. He's dehydrated."

"Sorry, Liz." Scully moved to the other side of the table, started an IV and drew some blood while Dr. Chandler finished checking Alex's vital signs. Mulder's stomach was tied up in knots as he watched their ministrations to the unconscious man, and he realized he was shaking.

He'd always believed he'd wanted to find the truth, especially when it concerned the activities of Cancer Man and his minions. He never thought for a moment that that truth would turn his world upside down.

Mulder removed the manila envelope from his pocket. He might as well read what Krycek believed was 'the final truth'.

The first thing he pulled out was a dark brown folder clearly labeled CLASSIFIED. Mulder scanned it quickly. He'd take time to read it more thoroughly later. The file was a detailed description of the CIA's plans for a covert operation against the Consortium. The operative chosen would infiltrate the group, gather information on their activities, then turn it in to a designated contact.

He placed the folder next to him and turned the envelope upside-down. A black rectangular case fell out that Mulder recognized immediately. It was identical to his own ID case. He opened it up and gasped as he stared into the face of the man he knew as Alex Krycek. The man he felt had betrayed him so long ago. The man he thought he hated until very recently.

Mulder lightly traced the lettering on the ID with his fingers -- CIA. He quickly snapped it shut and placed it on top of the folder before taking the last of the information from the envelope.

It was a personnel file of the agent they'd selected for the assignment:

Mulder squeezed his eyes shut and fought the urge to laugh. 'Conspiracies within conspiracies within conspiracies...'

"Mulder?... You OK?"

"Yea... How's Krycek?"

"He appears to be in a coma. We've managed to bring his temperature down, but not by much. We've also administered a broad-spectrum antibiotic. I'm going to take these blood samples back to the lab and have them analyzed. Mulder, he really should be in a hospital. They could provide much better care..."

"No, Scully. He'd be a sitting duck for whoever did this to him. He'll be better off here."

"I'll talk to Liz. She'll monitor Krycek's condition until we figure out what we're going to do with him. He can't stay here too long. Are you coming back with me?"

"No... I need to be here. I want you to do something for me, Scully. Take this file and give it to Skinner personally. Don't let it out of your sight. And make sure you read it, too."

"What's in it?"

"The last piece of the puzzle."

"And that is?..."

"It seems Krycek is one of the good guys. He's a CIA operative, Scully. He's been in deep cover for almost three years. Jesus, no wonder he was flipping out."

"Mulder, if what you say is true... Why would the CIA leave him in for so long? That's not standard procedure."

"Maybe he outlived his usefulness."

"You're not saying they abandoned him. Just left him out there to fend for himself?"

"Why not? We don't know how far the Consortium's reach goes, Scully. What better way to get rid of an enemy than by making them persona non grata in their own country?"

"I hope you're wrong, Mulder. I'd better go. I'll call you if I find something."


FBI Crime Lab
6:12 a.m.

It wasn't difficult isolating the virus infecting Krycek -- his bloodstream was teeming with it. All Scully had to do was identify it -- a task which was proving more difficult than she had anticipated. She turned as she heard the door behind her open.

"Agent Scully, what are you doing here this early?"

"Agent Pendrell... just the man I need."

Pendrell's blue eyes grew wide and a slight flush spread across his cheeks. "What can I do for you?"

"I need your assistance in identifying what I believe to be a new type of virus, and determining a way to destroy it, or at the very least neutralizing its effects on the human body."

Agent Pendrell walked over and peered into the microscope. "Let's see what we have."


Mulder settled himself into the chair he'd pulled next to Krycek and took a sip of strong, black coffee. Dr. Chandler said she'd check back every 30 minutes, but if there were any obvious changes to come and get her.

He tried to figure out when everything had gotten so complicated. It had begun ten months earlier when he'd confronted Alex at the Hong Kong airport. Mulder hadn't realized it at the time, but later it occurred to him that Krycek never fought back. In all their encounters since Scully's abduction, Alex had never raised a hand against him, except in self defense, even while Mulder had pummeled the shit out of him.

But why had Mulder been so aggressive toward Krycek? Revenge for the deaths of his father and Melissa Scully? That's what he'd told himself. But Mulder knew that aggression was often used as a substitute for another emotion which elicited the same responses in the body. That emotion was desire.

Did he lust after Alex? He'd never thought of himself as bisexual before; but the idea of having sex with another man certainly didn't repulse him. Actually, the incident in Hong Kong had stirred some strange feelings in him, especially when he'd had Alex pinned against the phones. Their groins had been pressed together tightly and Mulder had clearly felt Alex's erection. It had shocked and aroused him at the same time, and he'd quickly pushed any thoughts of it away. What had Alex said to him? 'Do it, Mulder.' He'd always assumed Krycek meant for Mulder to kill him. God, did Alex realize how he felt? And more to the point, did he feel the same way about Mulder?

He'd replayed that scene and others over and over again since returning home. That's when he'd done some serious re-evaluation of everything that had transpired between himself and Krycek since their first meeting. All his soul searching about Alex had caused a rather pleasant side effect. Since his return from Siberia, he'd begun having the most erotic dreams -- all of them involving Alex Krycek.

Most of them took place in the prison cell in Tunguska. Mulder's favorite was one where Krycek returns to the cell after his initial interrogation...

"We have to get out of here."

"Alex, calm down. What's wrong?"

"They're going to torture us, Mulder."

"Hey... it's OK. I'm here. Shhh..." Mulder slipped his arms around Alex's waist, feeling the other man's heat; inhaling his scent. He kissed the back of Alex's neck as his hands slid over firm abs and pectorals. His fingers began to play lightly over Krycek's nipples, causing them to peak into hard nubs, straining against the thin cotton of his T-shirt.

"Mulder... you picked one helluva time for this."

"This might be the last chance I have to show you how I really feel, Alex." Mulder licked Krycek's ear, nipping gently on the lobe.

Alex moaned and turned to face Mulder. He captured the other man's mouth, pressing his tongue against the sensual lips, demanding entrance.

Mulder happily obliged. He parted his lips and groaned as Krycek plunged his tongue into his mouth. It was like silk gliding over his teeth and palate, exploring every inch of him. Their kiss deepened; tongues dueled, alternately commanding and yielding, before some unfathomable need for air broke them apart.

"Fox..."

Hearing Krycek whisper his first name so seductively sent a thrill right to Mulder's groin. He leaned forward and began to trail light, feathery kisses down Alex's neck, while freeing the T-shirt from the confines of the other man's jeans. Mulder's hands roamed over the skin he'd ached to touch for so long. He quickly pulled the T-shirt over Krycek's head and dropped it on the floor, then moved forward and claimed Alex's mouth again, pressing his now painful erection into Krycek's groin.

Alex was frantically trying to remove Mulder's shirt, wanting to feel the other man's skin against him. He couldn't believe this was actually happening. He'd wanted Mulder for so long, practically from the moment they'd first been partnered. He finally got the damn shirt buttons undone and Mulder took a step back from him, reluctantly breaking their kiss.

Green and hazel eyes locked, the arousal obvious in both. Mulder took off his shirt, then reached out and undid the button on Krycek's jeans. He pulled the zipper down slowly, never losing eye contact, then bent down and removed the other man's boots and socks.

Krycek was trembling, but not from the cold. He couldn't remember ever being this aroused before. He gasped as Mulder pulled off his jeans and underwear, and Alex automatically stepped out of them.

Mulder eyed the man in front of him appreciatively. He was beautiful -- more beautiful than Mulder had ever imagined -- and he was all his. Alex knelt down and removed Mulder's boots, socks, jeans and underwear, then sat back on his heels as if waiting for Mulder's command.

"Alex..." A gentle caress against his cheek and he fell forward into Mulder's arms.

"Make love to me, Fox... please..."

Mulder broke into a wide grin as the words filtered through to his sensory-overloaded brain. He gently pushed Alex to the ground and eased him onto his left side.

"Wouldn't it be better if I was on my knees?"

"No... I don't want to cause you any pain, Alex. I've done that enough. Just relax and let me please you." Mulder rubbed his hand lightly over Krycek's ass, gently kneading the muscles and teasing the opening with his fingers.

Alex reached behind him, grasped Mulder's hand, brought it to his face and kissed it. He then drew Mulder's index finger into the warm recesses of his mouth, sucking and licking it in some mock version of fellatio; thoroughly coating it with saliva before releasing it.

"Lube..."

The FBI agent smiled. No wonder Krycek had managed to survive for so long. He certainly was resourceful.

Mulder placed the slick digit against Krycek's puckered opening and slowly pushed, rotating as he entered. He gradually added two more fingers, wanting Alex completely stretched.

"Mulder... if you don't hurry up, it's going to be over before we start."

"You never did have any patience, Krycek." Mulder spit into his hand and coated his cock the best he could before placing the head against Alex's ass and thrusting.

"Oh, God..."

"Did I hurt you?

"No... don't stop, Mulder... please..." Krycek pushed back against the other man to emphasize his point.

Mulder thrust into Alex, holding himself there for a moment before pulling almost completely out again. He repeated the action, then settled into a steady rhythm.

Krycek's hands were clenched into fists, clutching their discarded clothes in a death grip. It was better than he'd ever imagined. He brought his knees up slightly toward his chest, while Mulder draped his right leg over him and began thrusting faster. The older man reached around, grabbed Krycek's cock and began to pump it in time with his thrusts.

"Yea... yea... Oh, God, Mulder I'm... I'm going to.... Mulderrrrrrrrr!"

Alex's sphincter constricted, triggering Mulder's orgasm. Waves and waves of pleasure rushed through him, and for a moment he thought he was going to lose consciousness.

Krycek turned to face an exhausted, but sated, Mulder. "Thank you. You don't know how much that meant to me, Mulder." Alex kissed him gently.

Just then the door burst open and two guards rushed in, grabbed Alex and started to drag him away.

"Alex!... Alex!..."

"Agent Mulder!"

Mulder jerked awake and clutched at Dr. Chandler's arms. His heart was pounding in his chest, and he was disoriented.

"Are you all right? You were screaming Alex's name."

Mulder sat up straight and tried to regain some composure. He rubbed his eyes and ran his fingers through his hair. "I'm sorry... I fell asleep and must have been having a nightmare. How's Alex?"

"Pretty much the same. His temperature has dropped a bit more, but I think that's a result of the fluid intake. I hope Dana can figure out what caused this so we can treat him. He obviously means a lot to you." Dr. Chandler gave Mulder's arm a gentle squeeze, grabbed the empty coffee cup from the floor and went back upstairs.

Mulder watched her go, wanting to say something; wanting to tell her she was wrong, but he couldn't -- because she'd been right on the money. He did care for Alex. He more than cared for him. He didn't know when or where it had happened. But somewhere between the first moment he'd laid eyes on Alex Krycek at FBI Headquarters, and the time they'd rendezvoused in the Convention Center Garage, he'd fallen hopelessly in love with the man. And now he might lose him without Alex ever knowing how he really felt.

"Alex..." Sadness and exhaustion overwhelmed him as Fox Mulder buried his face in his hands and wept.


FBI Headquarters
8:15 a.m.

Walter Skinner sat reviewing yet another form 302 when the intercom on his phone buzzed. "Yes, Kim, what is it?"

"Agent Scully to see you, sir."

"Send her in."

The Assistant Director raised an eyebrow at his agent's appearance: casual clothes, no make up, and looking as though she hadn't had any sleep. "Agent Scully..."

"Sir, let me begin by apologizing for my appearance. I've been up most of the night. Agent Mulder asked me to personally give you this file and said not to let it out of my sight." She handed Skinner the manila envelope.

"More evidence?"

"Not exactly..." Scully had read the contents of the operations file before coming to Skinner's office. She still found it hard to reconcile the fact that Krycek was on their side.

"Sit down, Agent Scully. Would you like some coffee?"

"Yes, sir, I would. Thank you."

Skinner depressed the intercom button. "Kim, would you bring two black coffees, please?"

"Yes, sir."

The Assistant Director removed the files and began reading. He paused only when his assistant brought in the coffee. When he'd finished, he looked up at the exhausted agent sitting in front of him. "Agent Scully, may I ask how you obtained these files?"

"Alex Krycek, sir. Apparently he's the one whose been leaving Mulder the information on the Consortium."

"This doesn't make any sense. According to this file, Krycek should have turned all the evidence in to his superiors at the CIA. What I don't understand is why he's still under cover after all this time. He should have been pulled in and debriefed long ago."

"Mulder believes the CIA has abandoned him, sir, and that somehow the Consortium is behind it. He thinks that by denying Krycek's identity as a Federal agent, it will somehow negate the evidence he's gathered."

"Considering everything I've seen and read about these people, Agent Scully, that makes perfect sense. Do you know where Krycek is now?"

"Yes, sir... In Virginia... He appears to be dying."

"What!?"

"He's been infected with some new type of virus. Agent Pendrell and I have been trying to identify it. When I left Krycek early this morning he was in a coma."

"And Agent Mulder?"

"He's with him, sir."

Skinner sighed. "Agent Scully, although I believe the evidence we have against these men is rather convincing, a witness to their activities would help to corroborate it. Therefore, I'm going to call in every favor I can think of to get Krycek moved to a medical facility where he can be properly cared for. And I'll need a blood sample to send to the CDC. Meanwhile, you go home and get some sleep. That's an order, Agent Scully."

"Sir, why are you doing this? With everything that he's done..."

"He's one of us, Agent Scully. God knows what he's been through, or what he's had to do to survive."

"You sound as if you're speaking from personal experience."

"Not me... A friend..." Skinner couldn't meet her eyes. 'Not just a friend... a lover... Someone I cared for more than you'll ever know.'

"Sir... sir, are you all right?"

"I'm fine, Agent Scully. I thought I told you to go home."

"Yes, sir. I'm just leaving. I'll have Agent Pendrell bring you the blood sample you asked for."

"Thank you. Now if you'll excuse me, I do have paperwork to finish."

Scully got up and headed for the door. She turned to say something, but thought better of it. Maybe another time.

As soon as she was gone, Assistant Director Walter Skinner picked up the phone and started calling in those favors.


Back to the Lair                                                                                                                  Next