AU after the events of Abridging the Devil's Divide. ---------------------------------------- Breaking Point by Lianne Burwell August 2004 ---------------------------------------- “Darest thou, Cassius, now Leap in with me into this angry flood, And swim to yonder point?” Upon the word, Accoutred as I was, I plunged in And bade him follow. William Shakespear "Okay, Rommie, give it a try now." There was a soft rumble as Andromeda started up the engine in question, and this time there was no sign of the high- pitched whine that had been there a few hours earlier. "Stresses within acceptable limits. Efficiency... thirty- seven percent above baseline." She actually sounded impressed. Harper nodded to himself, then rubbed his eyes. "Good. Now bring up the readings on the port side laser battery three." "Harper, you have been working for thirty hours straight. You should get some rest." "Later. There's a couple more things I want to finish up first." "Harper..." "Rommie. The readings. Please." There was a pause, then the console came to life with the readings he wanted. "Thanks, sweetheart." "He wouldn't really put you off the ship." Harper flinched. "You can be sure of that," he said flatly. "Since I wouldn't let him, yes I can." Harper sighed as he started to recalibrate the system. "Yes you would if he was determined. Besides, if he does decide to get rid of me, there wouldn't be much point in refusing. He could make life hell for all of us, right?" Andromeda's holographic expression turned pained. "Right." Andromeda sighed, then vanished, and Harper turned back to the task at hand. "Now, let's see what we can do about that targeting error." >>>~~~<<< "Is he *still* at it?" Beka asked, stopping at the entrance to Engineering. Rhade was leaning against the door frame, his arms folded over his chest and a blank expression on his face. "Yes. If Trance didn't bring him trays, I don't think he would even remember to eat." Beka shook her head. "This is ridiculous. He's going to have a breakdown at this rate. Rommie?" The ship's avatar flashed into view beside them. "I tried. He still doesn't believe that Dylan won't really follow through on his threat to put him off the ship." "Which means until Dylan tells him otherwise, he's going to work himself ragged." She sighed. "He was like that after he joined the Maru. He was trying to convince me of how useful he was so that I wouldn't drop him off on another slave world." "I keep telling him that Dylan wouldn't do that..." "Are you sure?" Andromeda turned to Rhade with a horrified expression. "How can you say that?" Rhade just shrugged. "When it comes to Dylan Hunt, I'm not sure what to believe. Nietzscheans do not play the sort of mind-games he does. He should either forgive Harper or send him away. Leaving him like this is... wrong." "He can't send him away! He's my only engineer." Rhade's eyebrows went up. "What about the others?" That was still a sore point with Beka. "There aren't any. The new Commonwealth found a mothballed shipyard, so they're churning out HighGuard ships, but they don't have a lot of trained engineers. Since Harper knows Rommie inside and out, we were low on the list for additional engineers even before the Triumvirate turned on Dylan." "So, in other words our Captain is working our only engineer into an early grave," Rhade said. "When he isn't putting him in harm's way." Beka winced. "Not a good idea," she agreed "Very short-sighted." All three of them turned back towards Engineering, where Harper had finally slumped over at his console. Asleep, Harper looked like he was all of thirteen, even with the lines of strain on his face. "I better put him to bed," Beka said softly, heading over to the sleeping engineer. Rhade just looked thoughtful. >>>~~~<<< It took Harper nearly a month to start to relax again. During that time, the only time Dylan spoke to him was to give orders, and Harper did his best to stay out of his way otherwise. He didn't like feeling so unsure of his place again. It had been years since his position had been so precarious. He still had trouble sleeping, though. Then, without warning, Dylan ordered him onto the Eureka Maru, along with Beka and Rhade, to go pick up some parts arranged for by Tri-Lorn. Now that they couldn't simply stop by a Commonwealth depot and requisition what they needed, they were back to scrounging again, just like the old days. Harper's paranoia suggested that this was how Dylan planned to dump him, but he told himself that Beka would never go along with that. Rhade... well, he wasn't quite as sure about the Nietzschean. He got along fine with Rhade, although not as well as he one had with Tyr, but like all Nietzscheans, Rhade was a pragmatist. In the end, he would do what was best for Rhade. The parts had been deposited by Tri-Lorn at an old mining station in the played-out asteroid belt of a system with no habitable planets. A hundred years or so ago, it had been a base for pirates, but even they'd abandoned it, since it was too far off the prime trade routes. As a result, the last thing they'd expected was an ambush party lying in wait for them. After all, why bother? Take the parts and leave. Harper quickly found himself cut off from the others, although he wasn't sure how. He wedged himself between a pile of boxes and a wall, darting out from time to time to fire off a few shots at the bastards who had Beka and Rhade pinned down near the Maru at the opposite end of the dusty bay. On one of those brief forays he saw Rhade go down. He had a bloody gash on his forehead, but he was still breathing. He just wasn't conscious to help them anymore. Beka jumped to his rescue as Harper froze, just long enough for one of the black-suited attackers to sneak up behind him and shove a blaster muzzle against his ear. "Move and you die," he growled. Harper, being a smart boy, froze. "We have what we want! Leave now and we'll let you live," the man yelled. "Not without Harper!" Beka yelled. The sentiment warmed Harper's heart. "Then we'll just kill you all." That certainly killed the warm fuzzies fast. "Get out of here, Beka," Harper yelled. He wasn't really big on self- sacrifice, but when it came to his friends... "Harper, I'm not leaving you," Beka yelled back. "And if you're dead, there's no great rescue," Harper pointed out. His captor just chuckled. "Go!" Beka looked unhappy, but she finally grabbed Rhade by the shoulders and dragged his no doubt heavy butt up the ramp into the ship. Harper found himself a little surprised that no one took at potshot at them while they were out in the open. A minute later, the Eureka Maru powered up. As his captor herded him into a nearby airlock, the Maru lifted and swept out of the bay. When he didn't hear any explosions, Harper breathed a sigh of relief, deciding to assume that they'd gotten away in one piece. He wasn't out of the woods yet, but at least this bunch seemed to be more interested in him alive than dead. Of course, so did the Templars, and look how that turned out. With the Maru gone, the attack party finally emerged, and he realized with a start that they were all Nietzschean. Not a good thing. There were a lot of Nietzscheans out there who *would* want him dead, slowly and painfully. Still, never let it be said that Seamus Harper couldn't learn new tricks, once you hammered them in often enough. He kept his mouth shut. "This way," his captor said, giving him what was for a Nietzschean a surprisingly gentle shove. Since there was a dozen of them and nowhere to go, Harper did what he was told. At least Beka and Rhade were safe. >>>~~~<<< "I can't believe we left Harper behind," Beka said, yet again, as she docked with the Andromeda Ascendant. "Dylan is going to be furious." Rhade snorted. "He'll probably be more upset that we ended up leaving most of the parts we were sent for behind." "Rhade!" Rhade eyed her from the co-pilot's seat. Nietzscheans might be designed to heal fast, but there were limits. The gash on his forehead was just barely closed, and the entire side of his head was still black and blue, although the concussion was already gone. "Welcome back," Rommie said as they exited the ship. Then she frowned as she noticed Rhade's condition and Harper's absence. "What happened?" she demanded. Beka winced. "There was an ambush waiting," she said weakly. "You left my engineer behind!?" Rommie shouted. Beka winced. Here, she'd been worried about *Dylan's* reaction. An enraged ship's AI was not a good thing. "There wasn't a choice," she said softly. "It was stay and die or get our butts back here so that we could go to the rescue with more firepower." "And what if they kill him?" Rommie said almost plaintively. "They were after Harper. I doubt they plan to kill him." "Indeed," Dylan said, striding into the bay. "Report." "Aw, crap," Beka muttered to herself. "It was a trap, Dylan. They were waiting for us. They took Harper, but let us go. We need to get back before the trail goes cold." "Already plotting the course," Rommie added. Dylan stared at them, and the silence stretched. Too long, as far as Beka was concerned. "No." "What?" Beka stared at Dylan in disbelief. That was *not* the response she'd expected. "You said it: It was a trap. I can't justify taking Andromeda in. They may have let you go just so that you'd come back with the real prize: The Andromeda Ascendant. We can't risk it." "But what about Harper?" "He's a big boy, Beka. He can take care of himself." Beka started to shake. "Harper is a member of your crew, and the best damned engineer you're going to find, and you're just going to abandon him," she said flatly. "We are *not* going after him until we know it's not a trap. And that's an order." With that, he turned and left the landing bay. "I can't believe. I can't fucking believe it," Beka shouted at the ceiling. "You have to admit, he does have a point." She spun around and jabbed a finger in Rhade's direction. "Don't. Harper saved your life--" "And he wouldn't appreciate you throwing away yours," Rhade said calmly. "Bastard!" Furious, Beka threw herself at him, fists flying, not caring that Rommie was staring at them with a shocked expression. But fury didn't work against a Nietzschean. In a flash, she found herself pinned face-first against a wall, Rhade pressed up behind her. His mouth was close enough that his breath sounded like a wind rushing past her ear. "Harper's in no danger," he whispered hoarsely, so softly that no one else was going to hear. "*Trust* me." "How can you be so sure," she hissed back. "Because I'm the one who set things up." Beka froze. "What?" "When it was clear that Dylan was going to use Harper up, then discard him, I contacted Tyr--" "Tyr's dead," Beka said, shaking her head. Rhade chuckled. "Do you really believe that? Unlike Dylan, Tyr values Harper's intelligence. He'll keep him safe, and keep him from making any more foolish mistakes." Tyr Anasazi, alive. Beka's mind reeled. And yet, his death had seemed too... easy for so cunning a man. And yes, Tyr valued Harper. Respected him, even. Beka sagged, the tension going out of her. Rhade backed away, and she turned around, rubbing her eyes. Suddenly she was tired. So very tired. Ever since Dylan had ended up on the outs from the new Commonwealth, it seemed like they never stopped running, never stopped fighting. "Some days I just want to get back in the Maru and *go*," she said. Rhade actually smiled at that. "If you do, let me know," he said, lifting a hand to touch her cheek. Beka blinked in surprise. "Rhade?" When he leaned forward, she met him half-way. >>>~~~<<< Four days after the ambush, Harper was still thoroughly confused. A new ship had arrived within minutes of Beka's escape, and he was quickly herded on board. They locked him up, sure, but not in a cell or a closet. No, he was put in a very nice passenger cabin. Okay, it was completely cut off from the rest of the ship, but it was comfy. Nice. They even threw in a reading screen -- too rudimentary to be used to break out of the cabin, unfortunately -- to keep him entertained. It didn't work very well, but at least it was something. The alternative was breaking out of his cabin, but on a ship full of Nietzscheans, that probably wasn't a good idea. Sure, they'd left him strangely unmolested so far, but there was no point in goading them into doing something he'd regret. Since leaving the mining base, the ship had made at least seven slipstream jumps. Wherever they were going, it was either far off the beaten path, or they were taking the scenic route in order to throw off any pursuers; since he didn't have a viewport in the cabin, Harper wasn't sure which. But now they'd been in regular space for nearly a day, and he was about to go stir-crazy. It was nearly time for dinner when his cabin door finally slid open. It was the first time he'd seen anyone other than the silent kid who delivered his meal trays. "We've arrived," the man said. It was the same one who'd taken him prisoner back on the mining station. The one who'd found the suggestion of rescue so amusing. Of course, since there'd been no sign of rescue since then, at least that Harper knew of, he hadn't been wrong to be amused. Harper was beginning to wonder if they'd even tried to come after them. He stood up, trying not to tense up. A tense fighter was a dead fighter, he reminded himself. "Arrived where?" "Why don't you come see?" He stood back and waved towards the open doorway. Harper eyed him for a moment, wondering what the game was. Hunt the kludge? And yet... He decided to take the chance. He followed his strange guide through corridor after corridor. He hadn't been allowed to get a look at the ship, coming aboard, but even assuming that he was being led in circles, it had to be big. It was also full of Nietzscheans, which would normally give him panic attacks, but like his guide, they weren't exactly acting like normal Nietzscheans. In fact, they were acting more like Rhade. Or Tyr. Whatever the reason, though, the looks he was getting were just cautious. Evaluating. Maybe even a little respectful. Respect from Nietzscheans. And maybe Santa Claus was going to come riding through the slipstream on his sleigh. "Here we go," his guide said, the door to the bridge sliding open. Harper immediately stumbled to a stop, his eyes focused on the viewscreen. Ships. Lots and lots of ships. Everything from small trawlers to what looked like a ship of the line. All hanging in space near the dim remains of a dying sun in a system that would be of no interest to anyone. "What the hell?" he muttered in awe. "What is this?" "You'll have to ask the Commander." That sent a shiver through Harper as he considered all the candidates he knew of. "Who's that?" The man smiled enigmatically. "You'll see." >>>~~~<<< Not long after, they docked with another ship in the makeshift fleet. It wasn't the largest or the fanciest, and it was closer to the edge of the cluster than the center. Harper approved: There was nothing about the ship to attract unwanted attention, assuming that any enemies turned up. Harper was almost vibrating with tension as he was escorted over to the new ship. The 'welcoming party' waiting for them in the landing bay didn't reassure him either. Large numbers of oversized, well-armed Nietzscheans rarely did. At least they weren't growling orders or brandishing those weapons in his direction. Instead, they simply fell into step around him subtly guiding his steps. That led to another long march through another large ship while Harper tried to figure out why these Nietzscheans were so behaving so differently from most others he'd run into in his life. He didn't bother looking around as they walked, assuming that he could even see anything through the wall of well-muscled flesh. He twitched his fingers, willing himself not to start sweating or babbling. He did *not* want to show these people any signs of weakness. A lesson Tyr had taught him. The walk seemed to take forever, and at the same time, not long enough. Harper's mind was still trying to add things up when they stopped in front of the bridge doors for what seemed like and eternity -- damn those Nietzscheans and their sense of drama. Then the doors hissed open, and the wall in front of him parted. And for a moment, Harper felt like his heart had stopped. The bridge was almost as big as the one on the Andromeda Ascendant, and it was full of people staring at him, but Harper didn't notice. All his attention was focused on a single figure; a man who shouldn't have been there. A man he had thought was dead. Tyr Anasazi stared right back, a tiny smirk on his face. "Bastard..." Harper muttered under his breath. One hand clenched hard. His blood began to boil to the point where he could actually *feel* it pulsing. "You son of a ..." He swung. Tyr blocked the punch, now smiling openly. "I am glad to see you as well," he said mildly. Harper wanted to wipe the grin off his face. He wanted to make the bastard pay for running out on them, for letting him think he was dead. He wanted to... "Damn you!" Harper snarled, then hugged the SOB. Tyr hugged him back, and he started to shake. He was not going to cry, damnit. He was *not* going to cry. Not in front of all these people. But the stress of the last few days -- hell, the last month -- just came together and there was nothing he could do to stop it. But he was not crying, and if you told him otherwise, he would deny it to his dying day. Finally, he pulled away to find his escort gone, and the few people left on the bridge were carefully ignoring the little reunion scene. "Better?" Tyr asked. The bastard actually sounded smug. "You've got a lot of explaining to do," Harper growled. At least, that was what he planned to do, but his voice broke halfway through. Fatigue. That was what it was. He didn't sleep well in captivity, and he'd been under stress. That was all. "Since when have I explained myself to anyone?" Tyr huffed, but Harper could see the gleam in his eye. Harper whacked him in the arm, and Tyr rolled his eyes. "Fine. Come with me." Tyr led him through a side door off the bridge into a short corridor with three doors. One of them was part open, but it hissed shut quickly, although not so quickly that Harper missed the small eyes watching him warily. "Your son?" he asked softly. Tyr had told them that the boy had died, but he'd never quite bought the story. Tyr just nodded. Tyr led him through the door opposite the one just closed, and Harper looked around, curious. He found himself in a fair-sized sitting room, with two more doors leading off. One was open, and through it he could see a rather austere bedroom. The sitting room, however, was anything but. The walls of the room were paneled with wood -- an expensive luxury in space -- where they weren't set with bookcases with transparent doors that would keep the books in place in case of maneuvers to fast for internal systems to compensate for. The bookcases were filled with actual books, many of them antiques. A scan of titles found most of them on history and warfare. Harper couldn't remember ever having seen so many books in one place. Most information was stored electronically and never made it to print anymore. And in the center of the room were a handful of chair upholstered in what looked like genuine leather. All together, the room had a feel of age that verged on decadent. Information as luxury. How very Tyr. Harper turned to face the man. Tyr had his arms folded over his chest, just waiting. "Why the hell didn't you let me know you were still alive?" Harper demanded, poking a finger in Tyr's direction. "Because I didn't want Dylan to know." That stung. "You thought I'd just tell him?" Tyr glared at him. "No, but how was I supposed to contact you without going through the ship? And *she* would have told him." "You could have found some way," Harper grumbled, but decided to let it go for the time being. "So you've been running around without us knowing for the past few months. Why am I here now? And how the hell did you know where to send your goon squad? And what the hell is with the fleet out there?" Harper waved his arm in the direction of the hull, not caring that he had worked his way up to shouting. Tyr was openly grinning now. "I've missed you," he said unexpectedly, and Harper felt a flash of pleasure hearing that. "Flattery will get you nowhere. Now, start talking." Tyr rolled his eyes, and waved towards the chairs. Harper hesitated, but once Tyr sat down, he decided that he might as well be comfortable as well. And the chairs were *very* comfortable. They were also bolted to the deck, he noted in the back of his mind. Good idea. "You are here because Dylan obviously does not value you the way he should. His behavior put you in the hands of the Templars, and then he blamed you for being true to your nature." "What? How did you..." Harper frowned, putting two and two together and coming up with something close to infinity. "Rhade." Then his eyes narrowed. "If you can contact him, then why not me?" "Because, boy, I did not contact him. He contacted *me*, and through a complicated series of drops only to be used in dire circumstances. He let me know what was happening, and where you would be." The idea that Tyr or Rhade would consider his problems as 'dire' was too weird for words. "And you grabbed me. Because you don't like how Dylan's been treating me." Harper eyed him cynically. "You want something. What?" "Is it so difficult to believe that I want your safety? Perhaps even happiness?" Tyr sounded insulted. Harper just gave him his patented look of disbelief. "Fine. Your engineering abilities would be a great help. We have engineers, but none that think as fast under pressure as you." "Aha. I thought so." Actually, Harper was flattered. And reassured. A totally selfless Tyr would be just too damned weird to deal with. "So, what is with all the ships out there? I'm impressed, but confused." Tyr's expression turned grimmer than usual, although someone who didn't know him as well as Harper did might not notice the difference. "I am taking a different path from the good captain, Dylan Hunt. The Magog are coming and in such large numbers that the now-collapsing Commonwealth does not have a chance. Saving all worlds is a fool's dream. I am saving what I can." Harper frowned. "What do you mean?" "There is a cluster of systems at the end of the galactic arm. They are close enough together to be defended, out of the path of the worldship, and we are the only ones who know the series of transit points to get to them." Two and two were adding up again, and Harper was shocked at what he was hearing. "The Nietzschean race is running?" Tyr shook his head. The lack of the long dreadlocks still struck Harper as strange. "Not all. And not only Nietzscheans. If nothing else, my time on the Andromeda Ascendant opened my eyes to the fact that there are those of other races who are worthy. Since I left Dylan's foolish quest, I have been gathering the best and the brightest who would listen." "And found yourself and out of the way spot to hide and hope that the Magog don't find you?" Harper shook his head. "That doesn't sound like you." A soft growl filled the air. "We are *not* hiding like cowards," Tyr said, and Harper flinched slightly in the face of his anger. Then Tyr calmed himself. "We are creating a safe haven while we develop the weapons capable of driving the Magog to the edges of the universe and wiping them out to the last one." That brought a laugh bubbling up in Harper's chest. "Now *that* sounds more like Tyr. Retreat, regroup, then roll over the enemy and crush them like ants. So why me?" Tyr raised an eyebrow. "You don't consider yourself one of the best or the brightest?" Harper snorted. "A former slave with a compromised immune system who has screwed up too many times to be counted? Or trusted," he added bitterly. Tyr's expression stopped him. "What? It's true. Just ask--" "Don't say that name. You have more heart, soul, and courage than most. You survived to *become* a former slave when most under the Drago thumb give up and die. And if you have made mistakes, it is because you concentrate too hard on the problem at hand to realize the possible dangers. Which is why you need someone to keep an eye on you; a job which Dylan has failed miserably at." "So what? You're appointing yourself as my keeper?" Tyr smiled. "Think of me more as your... common sense." "Like you're going to have time for that with everything else you're doing." "I'll make the time. And in return you'll have the chance to devise the weapons that will wipe out the Magog. A pleasant thought, isn't it?" It shouldn't have been. Dylan would point to Rev Bem as an example of how the Magog could be 'redeemed'. He wanted to stop them, but not destroy them, which seemed a little short-sighted to Harper. Of course, Dylan wasn't the one who'd lived with a Magog-larva death sentence for months. And that weirdly advanced Magog who'd come through the time bridge had said that Rev Bem was his grandfather. Right before he marked Harper for breeding purposes. Harper felt his stomach rise at the memory. "Yes," he said. "Good. Now, we have several ships full of scientific equipment when we reach the Havens, and scientists who will need direction. The first priority is to set up a defensive perimeter in case the Magog find us before we're ready. I'll provide you with the information on what we have, and you can tell me what we still need." "Huh? Why me?" "Because you'll be directing the research teams." Harper froze. "You're putting me in charge? You can't be serious. I'll screw it up! Just look at--" "No. You won't." "How can you say that?" Harper bounced out of the armchair and started pacing. "Because I am your common sense," Tyr said, reaching out and grabbing his wrist as he passed within arm's length. "Trust me, Seamus." Harper swallowed at the unexpected use of his proper name. "I do," he said. And he really did, crazy as that was. "Good." "So now what? I hope you've got quarters for me, because I haven't had a good night's sleep in a long time, and I'm about ready to fall over on my face." "Right through there," Tyr said, waving towards the open door to the bedroom. Harper frowned. "I thought these were your quarters." "They are." Harper tugged, but Tyr wasn't letting go of his wrist. "I don't get it." "If I'm going to keep a close eye on you, I need to keep you close," Tyr said with a smile. Then he tugged, and Harper tumbled into the man's lap. "Um, don't you think you're taking this just a little to far?" Tyr was stroking the inside of his wrist, and Harper's breath caught. "I mean, what are people going to say if I'm in here?" "Nothing, if they know what's good for them," Tyr said. The fingers of one hand were now tangled in Harper's spiky hair, and Harper was back to wondering just what the hell was going on with the big guy. This was not the Tyr he remembered. Still, he didn't fight when Tyr pulled him closer -- as if you could get any closer to someone whose lap you were sitting on -- and kissed him. He just groaned and opened up to it. After several years in the shadow of the man considered to be a sex god by many, Dylan Hunt, and first one genetically perfect Nietzschean, then another, his libido was in full control and eager for whatever Tyr had in mind. They could deal with the whys later. *Much* later. Abruptly, Tyr stood up. He didn't let go of Harper, but thankfully he didn't sweep him up into his arms either. That would have been too much like one of Beka's romance novels for his tastes, although he was sure she would have loved it. "This way," Tyr said, steering him towards the previously mentioned bedroom. "And do lose that shirt. It's rank." Harper didn't mind following that order. "Your rescuers didn't exactly stock any clothing in my size. There's only so much you can do about clothing in a ship's shower." Tyr's expression was fond, and Harper melted, just a tiny bit, at it. "Less chatter and more disrobing," he ordered. "Yes, sir," Harper said, tossing the man a sarcastic salute, his mood lifting for the first time in weeks, if not months. He'd missed the big lug, not that he'd ever tell Tyr that. Tyr growled, and took a step towards Harper. Harper just laughed and ran for it, leaving a trail of clothing behind him. The fact that Tyr hadn't caught him before he'd gone three steps told him how much the other man was enjoying this. But faced with a bed, he started to wonder if he'd gone completely around the bend. Growing up on a slave world, he'd been fucked by Nietzscheans before -- how else was a slave supposed to get a high-end education? -- but he hadn't touched one since then. He'd stuck to the honeys, preferably human, even though most of them had turned out to have ulterior motives. The story of his life. Of course, he was betting on Tyr having his own ulterior motives, like keeping him controlled with sex. Still, this was Tyr. And in his crazier moments, he even trusted the man, and he didn't trust easily. He was also big, muscular, and almost depressingly good-looking. And for tonight at least, it seemed, he was all Harper's. He'd have to be a fool to say no, and despite what others might say, Harper was no fool. He took a deep breath, then turned around. Amazingly enough, Tyr seemed to like what he saw, going by the heat in his eyes. "This isn't going to be much fun if I'm the only one naked," Harper said. "I'm finding it quite enjoyable," Tyr said mildly. "Well, if you *don't* get naked, I might as well get caught up on my sleep." "I'll let you get that sleep, but not for a while yet," Tyr said, stripping out of his tight shirt and even tighter leather pants. He wasn't wearing anything under them, which Harper appreciated. "On your back, boy." "Don't call me that," Harper said, even as he moved to obey. "In the bedroom, that's just creepy." "All right, then. On your back, *Seamus*." Harper groaned. There was something incredibly sexy about his proper name coming out of the man's mouth. As if he needed to get any harder. As for Tyr, he didn't seem to need any help. Rampant was a pretty good term for his anatomy. Harper might get an inferiority complex looking at Tyr if he wasn't so damned brilliant to make up for the size difference. Still, it was an inspiring sight, and Harper started to stroke himself without thinking. There was a soft growl, and Tyr moved to the bottom of the bed. He crawled the length of the bed, like a large and very dangerous jungle cat, to hover above Harper. "It's not nice to tease, *Seamus*," he said. "Really? I thought it was. Look at how long you teased Beka." "She deserved it. But I have no intention of teasing *you*." "Really?" "Really," Tyr said, lowering down onto Harper. Harper just squeaked. Nietzscheans had higher metabolisms, and as a result, Tyr felt like a furnace as he started to move against him sensuously. Harper moaned, and pushed up against the man. Tyr latched onto the side of his neck and started worrying at the skin with his teeth, then sucked hard. There was no way Harper was going to be able to cover up the hickey that Tyr was creating. Of course, knowing Tyr, that was the way he wanted it, whatever his reasons. Then he let go and shifted to kiss Harper before sliding down his body. They probably heard Harper's shout of surprised back on Earth. The universe had narrowed to one very talented mouth. That had usually been Harper's position in the past, and it shocked him that Tyr was willing to do this for anyone, even him. Harper had to move, and Tyr made no effort to stop him. Tyr's short hair didn't give him anything to hang onto, but Harper didn't care. He was flying, and nothing was going to stop him. His throat was sore and his ears were ringing as he collapsed back against the mattress, and he was having trouble breathing. And Tyr, damn him, looked smug. "When my limbs start working again, I'm going to show you what I can do," Harper said sleepily. His eyelids were heavy, and he didn't have anything to prop them up with. "Gonna make you scream louder." "Go to sleep, Harper. You can do that in the morning." "'Kay," Harper muttered. And if Tyr did anything about his own state, Harper was too soundly asleep to notice. >>>~~~<<< It was nearly two months after the kidnapping of Harper before Dylan sent Rhade on a supply run where he could check one of his drops. Life had gone on about the Andromeda Ascendant. Dylan had found a new chief engineer - - this one had an actual staff -- although Rommie continued to complain that the replacement was barely competent. Watching all three of the ship's personality avatars giving their captain the cold shoulder was amusing. They weren't the only ones. Beka was barely civil. Rhade had talked her out of leaving the ship, at least for the moment, but she never spoke to Dylan, outside of ship's business.. When Andromeda had her breakdown, Rhade had been glad that Harper hadn't been around to see it. They had managed to restore her personality, but Harper would have surely blamed himself. And Dylan, irate as he had been, would have agreed, even though it wasn't true. Even Andromeda had admitted afterwards that it was her own fault. Harper had put in some safeguards after the first encounter with the Magog Worldship, back before Rhade had joined the crew, but Andromeda had been rewriting them, making them even stricter. After arriving at the space station to collect the waiting cargo, Rhade had directed the small crew he'd brought with him to start loading, then had left the docking bay. His excuse had been a meeting with a spy passing information on the what the slowly disintegrating Commonwealth was up to. It wasn't a complete lie, but he also had personal business. Rhade had drops all over known space, set up long before he'd been assigned to join Dylan Hunt's crew. Data from one would be duplicated to the other, and he checked them as regularly as circumstance allowed. He was pleased to find a message waiting for him. He slipped the tiny chip into his viewer and settled down to watch the message. The screen stayed black for a moment, then brightened to show a room with no distinguishing characteristics. It could have been a ship or a station or a windowless room on a planet. There was nothing to lead an unplanned viewer to Tyr's current location. A sensible precaution considering that even presumed dead, the Commonwealth still had a price on his head. Tyr was smiling. A quick check showed that the message had been recorded three weeks earlier. "You will be glad to know that the package was delivered in good condition," he said, ignoring a protest from off-screen. "The scientific team also appreciates it, although there is some doubt that they can keep up with his enthusiasm." "Hey!" Rhade smiled. Clearly the 'package' had returned to his old personality. Tyr was smiling fondly. "We have finished preparations and will be departing soon. Directions have been left. You will know where to find them. We expect to see you again, so be careful." Harper moved into the camera's view. He looked better rested than the last time Rhade had seen him. He'd also put back on most of the weight he'd lost and gotten rid of the dark circles under his eyes. He'd also acquired a hickey on the side of his neck, with the fading marks of others to say that it wasn't the first. Or likely the last "Take care of yourself, Rhade," Harper ordered sternly. "And Beka and Rommie if you can." Rhade noted the names that were missing. "Bring them with you when the time comes." The screen went black, and Rhade removed the chip. He slipped it into his pocket. It might not be a good idea, but he'd find a way to let Beka see it. Perhaps even the android, if she swore not to tell Dylan. They would most appreciate knowing that Harper was safe. In the meantime, they had a battle to continue to fight, even if it was becoming obvious that it was a losing one. He had the feeling that those promised directions might be needed sooner rather than later. THE END