Adumbration
by Alex

Part 20

Black storm clouds billowed and a pounding rain swept the Jedi Temple as two men emerged from a small freighter. The first man was tall, bearded, with long hair and dark garments. He stepped off the ramp and waited for his companion, a young man wearing a black robe many sizes too large. The young man was barefoot.

Their faces were solemn, and they did not speak.

The pair made their way into the Temple, to the Council Chamber.


The Council was silent as Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan walked to the center of the room and bowed.

Mace Windu broke the silence, as was customary.

"We welcome you back to the Temple, Master Jinn, Padawan Kenobi."

They murmured acknowledgements.

"Padawan Kenobi...we are thankful that you are safe."

"Thank you, Master."

Mace scrutinized Obi-Wan intently. "You will see the healers immediately. The Council will need to gather as much information as possible as to the identity of your abductor, and when you are ready, your help will be required." He softened his voice somewhat. "Obi-Wan...you have been through a grave ordeal, and we will focus upon your healing above all else."

"With respect, Master...I feel confident in my ability to help you at once."

Mace's eyebrows shot up. He exchanged a glance with Depa Billaba, who smiled at him.

"Very well. Master Gallia?" Adi Gallia stood and walked toward Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan.

"We go to the healers first, Padawan. Then to my offices."

Obi-Wan bowed his head. "Yes, Master."

As Adi Gallia propelled Obi-Wan toward the door, she gave Qui-Gon's arm a brief squeeze.

Qui-Gon returned the touch affectionately.

The door closed silently. Qui-Gon waited until they had closed completely before he spoke.

"Masters...I am glad that you found the detonator in time."

"There was little time, Master Jinn. The Force was with us. We were able to focus and neutralize the device shortly before the remote was triggered," said Oppo Rancisis softly.

"Your warning to Master Windu saved us," said Yaddle.

"I am honored to have served you, Masters."

"Qui-Gon," said Mace, "your communication from Sullust has caused us great concern. Do you truly believe that Padawan Kenobi's abductors were Sith?"

"I am certain of it."

"And was your apprentice aware of this during his captivity?"

"He was," Qui-Gon confirmed.

Yoda nodded, gazing at Qui-Gon.

"A thousand years they have been gone," he said. "Yet, extinct they are not."

"You believe this to be true, Master Yoda?" said Ki-Adi-Mundi.

"You felt the Darkness...we all did," said Even Piell. "The Dark Side was at work, and with concentrated strength such as I've never felt before. I believe Qui-Gon is correct."

"Why have we never felt this before?" mused Plo Koon.

"The Dark Side is hard to see," Eeth Koth reminded him.

"Obi-Wan spoke of a plot," said Qui-Gon. Debate all you like, Masters, he thought. I know what I saw and felt...as does Obi-Wan. Dismiss me, so I may tell Obi-Wan that I can be his Master no longer.

His sadness was tempered by resignation. I did what I did, he thought. I acted in a manner unbecoming a Jedi Knight. That I took selfish and brutal pleasure with Obi-Wan's clone is irrelevant. There is no excuse, and I shall have to tell Obi-Wan. I don't know how I shall tell him, but I must. He will have a new Master...perhaps Mace can take over his instruction for a few years...

"We found evidence of massive armed mobilization on Yrrna," said Plo Koon. "Unfortunately, all those in command and most of the forces had fled by the time the Jedi arrived, leaving only trace clues. Nevertheless, the Yrrna situation is now under control, and the Senate is on alert for similar activity."

"Will that be enough?" asked Qui-Gon.

"It will have to be...for now. There are too few Jedi and thousands of known systems. The Senate must help us. The individual systems must help themselves."

"We must examine all facets of this situation, Qui-Gon," said Mace. "And Obi-Wan must be examined as well."

"If your intent is to search for Darkness...you will find none. Obi-Wan acquitted himself with more courage than I have ever seen in my life. He acted in accordance with the Code, and he was fully in tune with the Force."

"We must be cautious, Qui-Gon," said Mace.

Qui-Gon bowed his head, recognizing their prudence. He had no doubts about Obi-Wan's loyalty.

"Masters, I ask you for his sake...be careful with him. There are many things he endured...and there is much I still do not know about his ordeal. I did not want to press him too soon."

"Padawan Kenobi is strong in the Force," observed Eeth Koth.

"He is," returned Qui-Gon. "Stronger than anyone suspected. He survived overwhelming adversity, and emerged the more powerful for it."

"We see this."

Qui-Gon nodded and unlatched his saber from his belt. There was little more to be said. Obi-Wan was safe. The Council would investigate the plot against the Republic. His work was done. His time as a Jedi was at an end.

"Master Jinn."

Qui-Gon turned to face Depa Billaba.

He had always considered her one of the most brilliant and compassionate minds on the Council. It had wounded him almost beyond endurance when she had scorned him in the Chamber days before. No more than I deserved, he thought, steeling himself.

"Master Jinn...days ago you stood before us in this chamber and accepted the judgment of the Council."

"I did."

"The Council wishes to withdraw that judgment."

Qui-Gon was absolutely still.

The Council members looked at Qui-Gon, and Qui-Gon stared ahead unseeingly, feeling their concentration.

"Qui-Gon," Depa said, "The integrity of the Jedi Order has been attacked. If the clone was truly Sith, then we must all be on our guard, for we know that they moved against us, and in the form of one of our own. Were it not for you, we would not have discovered the clone's motives, and Padawan Kenobi would still be in the hands of the Sith."

"But, Master...my actions..."

"You were most unfairly deceived, Master Jinn," said Saesee Tinn. "The clone exploited your feelings for your padawan."

Qui-Gon stared at him, stunned.

"Tried to tell us, did you not?" said Yoda.

Qui-Gon stood silently. It was out now, and there was another breach of the Code, another reason for his expulsion. Well, he thought, I've gone this far...

"I did, my Master."

"The Council has conferred regarding this matter," said Mace. "We have determined that in this case, Padawan Kenobi is of an age to make his own decision, should you request any union with him."

Qui-Gon, nodding, hid a smile. Mace, being oblique again. Still, it was preferable to outright vulgarity.

"Have a care, Master Jinn," cautioned Even Piell sternly. "It is conceivable that Obi-Wan's feelings for you now might simply be gratitude that you rescued him from a life-threatening situation. You must not take advantage of that."

"No, Master."

"Master Jinn," said Depa Billaba, "we ask your forgiveness."

Silence fell over the Council Chamber.

Qui-Gon's hands tightened on the hilt of his lightsaber.

"Masters...you have it."

"Go, then," said Mace, "and may the Force be with you."

Qui-Gon bowed and turned to leave. As he reached the door, he stopped.

He'd almost forgotten...

He turned and walked to Yoda's chair. Dropping to one knee, he bowed his head.

"I thank you for your guidance, my Master."

He got up and left the chamber, his heart light.

The door hissed shut.

Ten pairs of curious eyes were focused on Yoda.

The Jedi Master looked around, ever so slightly discomfited.

"Hmph."

He got off his chair and plodded away.

The meeting was adjourned.


Obi-Wan opened the door to his and Qui-Gon's rooms and trudged inside. He lay wearily on the couch and flung an arm over his face, shielding his eyes from the light. Had it only been mere days since he'd been dragged from this room? It seemed like years...

He sat up. He was exhausted, and ravenous, he realized. He hadn't had a proper meal in days. He stood and went to the cooler and rummaged out a quantity of food...cheese, bread, fruit, some fish...he stood at the counter and ate, not really tasting anything. He washed it down with cold tea and went back to the couch, picking up a datapad that Adi Gallia had given him, the Jedi's findings on Yrrna.

He looked listlessly at the pad, and heard a noise, a murmur. He looked up, adrenaline coursing through his body. The noise was repeated and he relaxed slowly, realizing that it was Qui-Gon, mumbling in his sleep. He must have returned hours before.

He smiled, and all at once the smile died. How long before I feel safe in my own rooms, he thought. How long before the nightmares disappear?

And how can I face myself again? And Qui-Gon...

His earlier happiness had diminished, and agony gnawed at his insides.

He stared at the datapad, trying to focus on it, but he kept reading the same sentence over and over again. Frustrated, he put the pad down and lay on the couch again. Something hard jammed into his side, and he reached into the interior pocket of Qui-Gon's black robe and withdrew a tiny holoprojector. He flipped it on and an image rose...Qui-Gon and himself, at the Djais wedding, their arms thrown about each other.

He set it down on the table and stared at it until he fell asleep.


It was early morning when Qui-Gon rose, yawning and threading fingers through his loosened hair, and went into the common room. He glanced out the window. It was still raining, and the sky was still black. Through the walls he heard thunder. It was a comforting sound.

The lights were on, and Obi-Wan lay on the couch, huddled in his robe.

He can't be comfortable there all night, thought Qui-Gon, and bent down to lift him from the couch.

Obi-Wan, sensing the movement or the presence of another being, flew up with a low, wild cry, his face white, his arms flung out. Seeing Qui-Gon, he flushed and sat back on the couch.

Cursing himself silently, Qui-Gon lowered himself onto the couch. "I'm sorry, Padawan. I'd thought to take you to your own bed."

Obi-Wan pulled the robe more tightly around himself. "I'm fine, Master."

"I'm sorry to have woken you."

"No...I've slept enough, I think." He rose and walked to the 'fresher, closing the door behind him.

Qui-Gon sat and gazed at the holo of himself and Obi-Wan.

Obi-Wan emerged from the 'fresher a half hour later. His hair was wet, and he'd shaved his beard, and at that moment, still lost in Qui-Gon's robe, he looked like a padawan of thirteen again, hopeful, alert, impossibly young...but for his eyes.

This was no boy, thought Qui-Gon. His stomach lurched at the thought of what he had to say to him.

Hoping to forestall the inevitable, he said, "How was the meeting with Master Gallia?"

"She is contacting some of her operatives. They are examining the sublevel hold, and she has already sent Master Tren and Padawan Muln to Sullust to investigate there."

"And your session with the healers?"

Obi-Wan's face was neutral. "It went as well as could be expected. There will be no permanent damage."

He sat on the couch next to Qui-Gon and began to comb out his braid. The sleeves of the robe fell and Qui-Gon saw the slowly healing welts on Obi-Wan's wrists. Frowning, Qui-Gon reached out and caught Obi-Wan's hand in his.

"The healers neglected your wrists, Padawan."

"No, Master," said Obi-Wan softly, extracting his hand.

"No?"

"I asked them to leave them alone." The carefully neutral mask had slipped, and Obi-Wan's face was disconsolate.

"May I ask why, Padawan?"

"The scars are a reminder of my cowardice."

"What?"

Obi-Wan faced Qui-Gon, and his expression was anguished. "While I was a prisoner, I did nothing. Nothing to free myself, nothing to reason with my captors. I gave in to my fear, and it almost destroyed me...and the Council...indeed, the Republic itself." He laughed bitterly, and the laugh sounded very much like a sob. He stopped, gained control of himself, and looked at Qui-Gon. "Had you not been there, Master, I might have betrayed all that I believed in, just to end the pain."

Qui-Gon reached out again and took Obi-Wan by the shoulders.

"Obi-Wan...how can you think that?"

"It's true."

"It is NOT true. You were preyed upon by agents of the Dark Side. They worked on you ceaselessly...no, you don't have to tell me. I felt it. I felt it in you, and I felt it in them. It was evil, Obi-Wan, and you never stopped fighting it. If you had, you would be with them still. You battled darkness and won. If I were not there, you would not have betrayed all that you believed...but I am glad that I was there, for they would have killed you for resisting. And that I could not bear.

"Wear the scars, Obi-Wan," said Qui-Gon, lifting his hand again and kissing the livid marks, " because they are not a symbol of cowardice. They are a testament to your courage."

Obi-Wan looked at him, a faint hope flaring in his eyes.

"Master, I..." he could not go on.

"Obi-Wan...you are a Jedi, now and forever." He leaned forward and kissed the young man's forehead, and Obi-Wan flung himself at Qui-Gon, embracing him with amazing strength.

"Thank you, Master. Thank you."

Qui-Gon held him, his heart filled with pride, hurt, and love.

Oh, my Obi-Wan. There is still so much more...

He decided to tell him now. Why put it off any longer, he thought.

"Obi-Wan...there are things I must say."

"Yes, Master?" Obi-Wan's voice was muffled against Qui-Gon's sleep-tunic. Qui-Gon gently disentangled himself from Obi-Wan's grasp.

"Please, my padawan...this is not going to be easy for me to say." He stopped suddenly. He'd made a similar declaration to Belial days ago.

Thus the reason for this confession.

Oh, the irony...

"Obi-Wan," he said, "Do you recall Belial's words during our battle?"

"Every word, Master." Obi-Wan's face was grim.

"I thought as much. You will remember, then, that Belial made an allusion to a physical relationship between us."

Obi-Wan stared at him. Oh, gods, thought Qui-Gon, this was going to be worse than he thought.

"Obi-Wan...Belial spoke the truth. He and I..." He struggled for his next words.

Obi-Wan lay a hand on his arm. "I know, Master."

"He told you?" Why am I surprised, Qui-Gon thought somewhat bitterly.

"No...I saw. He...he made me watch."

"Oh, Obi-Wan...my Padawan...I am so sorry. Forgive me."

"Master," said Obi-Wan, shaking his head, "there is nothing to forgive. Nothing. I heard what you said to Belial...about the bond...which was as much my fault as it was yours. No...let me finish. It was my fault as much as it was yours. I saw you make love to him...I saw the holo that caused your ejection from the Order-"

So he saw that, too, thought Qui-Gon. And yet he is not angry with me.

Obi-Wan continued. "I saw all that, Master. Belial showed me, and it was worse than the physical pain, worse than being cut off from the Force, knowing that you had been deceived, knowing that you were a victim of his machinations-"

I was a victim, and he hurt for me...how much more compassion, how much more bravery could Obi-Wan display before Qui-Gon simply broke down and wept for him?

"-and I knew that the love you felt was for me, and I was afraid, afraid that I would never see you again, afraid that we would never..." Obi-Wan trailed off, looking at his scarred wrists.

Qui-Gon pressed him to the couch and kissed him.

Oh, it was sweetness, incomparable sweetness, and how could he have mistaken the clone for Obi-Wan? His mouth was lovely, like honey, and he kissed Qui-Gon with an endearing shyness, his mouth yielding, opening like a blossom, and finally his tongue found its way into Qui-Gon's mouth, soft and utterly delightful, and becoming more insistent, more demanding, until they were locked together, holding each other with all their strength.

Obi-Wan broke away. His breath was rapid, and his face was flushed.

"Love me. Love me, Master. Please," he begged, trailing kisses down the exposed length of Qui-Gon's throat and chest.

"Obi-Wan, it's too soon, you've not recovered yet-"

"I will," he said. "I will...heal me, love me...I need you to love me."

"My love...it's too soon." Even Piell's words echoed in his head.

"No, Master. I am well, I am...help me heal." His voice was roughened and desperately longing, and his legs wound around Qui-Gon and he began to move rhythmically beneath him. Qui-Gon groaned aloud. His penis was achingly hard and he wanted to take the boy right there on the couch. He felt Obi-Wan's erection pressing into him. Slowly he rose from the couch, pulling away from Obi-Wan, who let out a low cry of frustration.

"Oh, Master, please, please...why not?"

Qui-Gon put out a hand. "The bedroom, my beloved."

Obi-Wan's eyes widened, and he took Qui-Gon's outstretched hand and let him lead the way into the bedroom.

Obi-Wan let the black robe drop. His penis was erect, curving up toward his stomach, and the red scars stood out against that pale skin. He smiled shyly at Qui-Gon, and Qui-Gon returned the smile, unfastening his tunic, kicking off his leggings. finally standing splendidly naked in the soft light of Qui-Gon's bedroom.

Obi-Wan caught his breath shakily, feeling dizzy. Years he'd dreamed of this moment, and now it was almost too much. He sat on Qui-Gon's disarrayed bed. Qui-Gon sat next to him, and Obi-Wan turned toward him suddenly, reaching out. Qui-Gon held him an arm's length away.

"Slow, Obi-Wan...my Obi-Wan..." and he leaned forward and caught Obi-Wan's mouth in another kiss, and pushed him gently back until Obi-Wan lay beneath him on the bed, on the disarrayed sheets. Obi-Wan's hands floated up to travel the skin of his shoulders, his arms...Qui-Gon's hands, firm, warm, and skillful, found the young man's torso, glided gently down, to his flanks, back up again, down again, slipping underneath and cupping his ass, grasping with an infinitely tender pressure that was more than Obi-Wan could bear. He cried out beneath Qui-Gon's mouth, that exploring tongue, and pumped his hips, their erections meeting, sliding against each other, agonizingly pleasurable.

Qui-Gon released his mouth and began to scatter kisses down Obi-Wan's throat, the nape of his neck, his clavicle, his shoulders. His tongue trailed over the pale skin, back up to the cleft of Obi-Wan's chin--how he loved that cleft, that delicate depression---and down again.

"Tell me you love me," gasped Obi-Wan.

"I love you," whispered Qui-Gon. His mouth found Obi-Wan's nipple. "Only you." The other nipple. "Always you."

"I love you...Qui-Gon...I love you...ohhh..."

Down the flat stomach, around the sensitive cup of the navel, and Obi-Wan pumped his hips again, his hands thrashing helplessly. Oh, the feel of his mouth, his lips, his tongue, the slight scrape of his beard, his heated flesh, that silken hair, maddening pleasure...

Down, at last, to his penis, glistening, drops of moisture at its tip. Qui-Gon's tongue flicked over it, and Obi-Wan let out a guttural cry, pure wanting.

"I'm going to...I'm..."

"I want you to, Obi-Wan."

"No...no...inside me...inside..." and Obi-Wan turned over, moaning.

Qui-Gon reached into the bedside table and located the small pot of herbal oil. He slicked it over his penis and his hand. Obi-Wan writhed on the bed, drawing his knees up.

"Now, Master...now..."

Qui-Gon's fingers found that tender opening, slid inside, careful not to damage tissue so recently healed.

Obi-Wan gasped.

"Did I hurt you, my love?"

"No...it's wonderful...please..."

Deeper, deeper, until Qui-Gon was sure that Obi-Wan was prepared. He straddled him, and the tip of his penis sought entry into those tight muscles under that soft skin, and he entered slowly, so slowly, until he thought he would die from the need, and finally he was in, Obi-Wan's body gripping him, shockingly exquisite, and he began to rock his hips against Obi-Wan, who found his rhythm, met it, and their bodies ground together, languid at first, then becoming more and more urgent. Qui-Gon's hand curled around Obi-Wan's penis and stroked it deeply, from its head to Obi-Wan's balls, and he felt as though he was plunging into a warm, endless, and silent sea, the smoothness of the skin beneath him and their deep breaths and occasional cries, and they came, one after another, his semen exploding inside Obi-Wan's body, claiming him, taking possession, giving himself, his Obi-Wan, Obi-Wan, Obi-Wan...


They lay together in Qui-Gon's bed, the sheets even more wildly disarrayed than before, pungent with the smell of sex and their bodies, lavishly intertwined limbs sprawling over the bed.

Obi-Wan drew back and looked at Qui-Gon, who slept peacefully. He burrowed into his arms, kissing the broad chest. Qui-Gon awoke.

"Sorry, Master."

"Sorry for what, my dear one...waking me? Fie upon you." Qui-Gon grinned at him.

Obi-Wan laughed, a precious thing from his serious padawan. Qui-Gon's arms tightened around Obi-Wan.

I will never let you go, my love. Never again. There was still healing needed, and the road to Obi-Wan's recovery would not be entirely smooth...it would take time.

And somewhere out there was a Sith Lord, and as long as there was, they could not be complacent.

But they were Jedi. They would trust in the Force. It would give them strength.

Qui-Gon looked into Obi-Wan's eyes, velvet blue and summer sea.

"How are you, my Obi-Wan?"

Obi-Wan smiled at Qui-Gon, and all the stars of the galaxy were in his eyes.

"Safe."


Epilogue...three years later.

Finis Valorum looked at the Senator sitting opposite him.

"I am grateful for your assistance in this matter, Chancellor," the Senator was saying. "And I am confident that your ambassadors will resolve this matter quickly. That they are Jedi is an unexpected bonus."

"Indeed, Senator Palpatine...I am sure that Naboo's problems will soon come to an end."

"Indeed they will," said Senator Palpatine, a broad smile creasing his face. "Indeed they will."


Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11
Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 | Part 17 | Part 18 | Part 19 | Part 20