Night of the Lepus

by Griffin

 

Jim trudged up the stairs to the loft. He was tired, bone-deep tired. At least it was Friday, and he had the weekend off. After the last two hellacious weeks, all Jim wanted was to flop on the couch with a cold beer, a basketball game and an armful of Blair Sandburg. Jim was too tired for anything beyond cuddling.

As he approached the door, Jim reached out his hearing. Blair was home, but his heart rate seemed a little fast. He heard a few strange thumps and Blair's muffled curses. He quickly opened the door and stepped inside. Jim scanned the loft. Blair's heart was still too fast, but everything looked normal.

Blair was leaning against the door to his old room, the one they now used as an office, looking a bit wild around the eyes.

"Blair, are you okay?" Jim asked gently.

"No, I don't think so. I really don't." Blair responded.

Jim tossed his keys in the basket and hung his jacket on the hook. He walked over to Blair and put a hand on each shoulder. "Take in easy, Chief, and tell me what's wrong." Just then Jim noticed a flash of grey-brown motion out of the corner of his eye. "Sandburg," he growled, "tell me that is not a rabbit in the living room."

Blair took a deep breath. "Jim, that is not a rabbit. It's worse, much worse. It's a plot bunny."

Jim blinked. It looked like beer, basketball and Blair was going to have to wait for another night.

Now that he started, Blair's explanation was gaining steam. "You know that list we're on, about The Watchman...well, I've wanted to post something the last couple of weeks but I just haven't had time to write." Blair stepped away from the door and began pacing. "This morning I was really running late. I was gonna grab my bagel and head out, and suddenly there it was, in the middle of the kitchen - a plot bunny. I picked it up and put it in the office, figuring I'd deal with it when I got home." Blair stopped pacing and stared at Jim. "You gotta believe me, man, it just never occurred to me."

Jim clenched his jaw. He knew he wasn't going to like what came next. "Tell me, Blair."

"Jim, do you have any idea how long it's been since we cleaned the office? Weeks, man, weeks! I just totally forgot they would be there."

"Sandburg." Jim gave Blair his best cut-to-the chase glare.

"The dust bunnies." Blair looked at the floor. "I never thought that they could cross breed."

"Jesus, Chief." Jim was stunned. This was bad, very bad. "We've got dusty old crossover plot bunnies."

"Yeah." Blair began pacing again. "Jim, it gets worse. These aren't just any crossovers. These *things* are crossing The Watchman with cheesy 1970s TV shows." Blair thrust his hands in the air for emphasis. "I looked at them, Jim, and they're horrible. There are crossovers with Green Acres and Bewitched, Dragnet and Hogan's Heroes. My God, Jim, there was even a crossover with the Brady Bunch. They've been in there all day, breeding like, well, rabbits. What if they start cross breeding with Aaron Spelling shows?"

Blair stopped and turned desperate eyes to Jim. "What am I gonna do?"

Jim reached out and pulled Blair close. He wrapped his arms around him, and held on tight. "I don't know, Chief, but we'll think of something."

Just then, the door from the office began to creak and rattle....

Jim woke up with a start. He blinked and looked around the loft. Blair was sprawled next to him on the sofa, sound asleep, his laptop still open to the last page he was working on. The television flickered in the darkness, volume set sentinel soft.

Jim ran his hand across his head. "Well, hell. No more TV Land before bed for me!" he said with a soft laugh.

Jim closed Blair's laptop and moved it to the coffee table. He gently shook his partner's shoulder. "Chief, wake up, it's time for bed." Blair slowly opened dazed eyes. Jim pulled him to his feet and pointed him in the direction of the stairs. Jim gave him a nudge. "Blair...bed."

As Blair stumbled towards the stairs, Jim made a final check of the doors. He paused at the door to the office. After a brief internal struggle, Jim gave in. He went to the closet and grabbed the vacuum. The dust bunnies would only take a minute.

end

previousindexnext

[Home] [Library] [Connections]

Email griffin@squidge.org