Marion by TACS

Subject: [VP] Sad news
Date: Thu Jun 22 13:44:48 2000
From: Merricatk

This morning at one, Marion McChesney died of cardiac arrest. I don't have any other details at the moment, but if anyone wants to email, I'll provide what I can.

Mel

Subject: Marion
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 04:56:36 -0400
From: Jan

Thank you to everyone who has sent condolences to me and to Martha. Your words of support mean a lot to us. Since she was such a close friend to both of us, we have been holding each other up all day.

Marion had a brother, two sisters, and several neices and nephews. I know her brother and one of her sisters, and they have the same overwhelming kindness and generosity that Marion had. It must be something genetic.

I know that everyone has a lot of questions about what happened and what will happen next. We will try to keep everyone informed.

Marion had a heart attack about 1a.m. this morning. She called 911. When they got to her apartment, they could not revive her.

Her sister and brother are making arrangements for a funeral in the Baltimore area, at a Sterling-Ashton-Swab. The funeral will be Monday. I don't know what time yet. The viewing will probably be Saturday and Sunday. She will be buried at Parkwood Cemetery on Taylor Ave. That is all we know right now.

If you are planning to come to the funeral, please contact me or Martha. She said once that she wanted lots of flowers at her funeral.

Jan

Subject: Marion
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 23:37:21 -0400 (EDT)
From: aprilvalen

Hello everyone,

I wanted to add my voice to Jan's to express my devastation over the loss of our friend Marion. She's been a mainstay in my life, in Baltimore fandom, in UNCLE fandom and in fandom as a whole. There is no way her loss can be replaced.

I've spent the day with Jan at her house answering calls from all over the country about Marion. At the moment, my mind is still spinning and I feel numb.

She was of course the chairman of the con and together she and I made all the final decisions about things. Right now, it's too soon to know what exactly is going to be happening but I will certainly let the lists know as soon as we have any further information.

Her family has scheduled a viewing for Saturday and Sunday and a funeral service for Monday. When I know details, I can post them or anyone who wants can email me or Jan off list and we'll give you the details.

People are already asking if they can make any donations in Marion's name. As soon as we have any information about where you can contribute if you'd like, we'll let you know.

If anyone would like to send condolences to her family through Jan and I, please do so and we will see to it they get your wishes.

Her family expressed to Jan and I that they were worried about letting Marion's many friends know and we assured them that the word had already been passed. They seemed very grateful to hear that.

Hug a friend tonight,
Love to all,
Martha

Subject:  Marion
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 04:55:02 -0700
From: TACS & Laura 

It's taken me all day to sit down and write something to the list about this and even now it's hard. Jan and Martha called me today with this devastating news and I have just been numb thinking about it.

I known Marion for 20 years, in fact, even while attending the first Welcommittee Star Trek cons in New York in the early seventies, I didn't really join 'fandom' until I met Marion at a Shore Leave convention years ago. Through her, I joined the club who runs Shore Leave and realized what it took to deal with a con. She was the one who invited me over to her house and it was there that I found out what a 'fanzine' was. Actually, it was over at her house that I even found out what 'Slash' was when I found an 'Ob'zine' and, Lord, life has not been the same since...<G>

I remember her first zines of 'Vault of Tomorrow' and her asking for a cover. I was so thrilled that she would want something of mine...I don't know, perhaps this wasn't such a good idea to work out my sadness this way, I'm only starting to cry again...think the numbness is starting to wear off at 4:30 in the morning.

All I know is that all her friends are going to miss her terribly...to me, she was one of the building stones and a big part of what fandom is today.

TACS and Laura

Subject: Re: [VP] Sad news
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 21:08:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: Maria

I'm just so shocked and sadden. Marion was such a nice person, she was always so happy and friendly at any con I attended. I last saw Marion at Media West this past May. I actually spent a good deal of time hanging out by her table and we had some nice conversations.

My fondest memory of MW this year is when Marion and I went to the art dealer's room a half hour before it finally closed before the auction. Marion was there to defend a bid she had on a Suzan Lovett UNCLE print and I went to see if I could pick up any good pieces of art. Marion and I roamed the art room looking at all the pieces and critiquing the art work. When the art room closed a half hour later, Marion was the high bidder on her piece and she was so happy. When we left the room she had a big smile on her face!

I will really miss Marion, I can hardly believe she's gone. I know other knew her much better than I but I still feel the loss all the same.

Maria

Subject: Re: [VP] Sad news
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 20:38:24 -0500
From: melrayl

Maria says:

> I will really miss Marion, I can hardly believe she's gone.

Boy, me too. I'm still in shock. I finally got to know her pretty well at the 1999 MediaWest con, though I kinda knew her way before that. I had a lot of respect for her, she was really a passionate fan, and we had some fantastic talks. What a shame.

xxx,

Mel

"A life with love will have some thorns,
but a life without love will have no roses."

Subject: Re: [VP] Sad news for VenicePlace
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 22:18:59 -0400
From: flamingoslim@delphi.com

> Maria says:
>
> > I will really miss Marion, I can hardly believe she's gone.

Melodi K Rayl wrote:
>
> Boy, me too. I'm still in shock. I finally got to know her pretty well at
> the
> 1999 MediaWest con, though I kinda knew her way before that. I had a
> lot of respect for her, she was really a passionate fan, and we had some
> fantastic talks. What a shame.

It is difficult for me to write this. Suzan Lovett called me this morning with the news. I hadn't been on line for awhile. Marion was part of a group of fans who live in the Baltimore-Washington-New York corridor, who often get together at one another's houses for marathon episode fests and general fandom get-togethers. I did not know Marion well, but I knew her, and saw her at every con, at friends' homes, and even traveled with her occasionally. She was a kind, gracious, easy-going lady with an open heart and a smile for everyone. I can't remember hearing Marion ever saying a harsh word about anyone. She loved fandom, and she loved her friends in fandom, and they were many. Martha, from our list, is one of her closest friends and I'm sure she's devastated by this completely unexpected event, and will need our comfort and support. Marion had very recently had surgery on her back, and people who have to undergo surgery usually have complete health screenings. She was being treated for a number of health problems, none of them life-threatening, but not for heart problems, so no one expected this in the least. Marion was in my age bracket.

Marion was a member of VenicePlace. She spoke to me at Connexions and asked if she could join, because she'd heard we were such a friendly group and she always liked S&H. I was delighted to sub her in, even though she assured me she would probably be a lurker. So Marion lived quietly and unobtrusively among us, much as she lived in the real world. It was only a short while ago that she dropped me a note telling me she was having a lot of fun on VP, even though she was quiet, and she asked me for a story for an up-coming zine she was putting out. We had a short back-and-forth email that was sweet and pleasant, and that was the last time we communicated.

While Marion was a lurker on VP, she was extremely active in fandom. She put out many zines, ran cons (she was a primary member of the Connexions con committee), and ran mailing lists. Her loss is a blow to fandom, and leaves a gaping hole in the heart of her friends.

Flamingo

Subject: Re: [VP] Sad news for VenicePlace
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 00:49:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: AprilValen

Hello,

I wanted to respond to the posts about Marion. She's been a mainstay in my life, in Baltimore fandom, in UNCLE fandom and in fandom as a whole for more than 20 years. There is no way her loss can be replaced.

I spent the day with Jan D, another very close friend, at her house answering calls from all over the country about Marion. At the moment, my mind is still spinning and I feel numb.

She was the Connexions chairman and she and I worked very closely on all aspects of the con together. I'll be letting everyone know what's going on with that when a little time has passed.

Her family has scheduled a viewing for Saturday and Sunday and a funeral service for Monday. When I know details, I can post them or anyone who wants can email me off list and we'll give you the details.

If anyone would like to send condolences to her family through me, please do so and I will see to it they get your wishes.

Her family expressed to Jan and I that they were worried about letting Marion's many friends know and we assured them that the word had already been passed. They seemed very grateful to hear that.

For some more information and nice words, here is part of what the Farpoint co-chairman, Steve, wrote to our concomm list today:

<<In case you hadn't heard, Marion McChesney died early this morning (June 22). She'd not been feeling the best, but I'd spoken to her yesterday afternoon, and she sounded fine. What she thought was an anxiety attack with shortness of breath set in about 1 AM, and she called 911. Paramedics were unable to stabilize her, and she went into cardiac arrest.

Marion was one of my oldest friends in Fandom, and we all owe her more than we can imagine. She chaired six Clippercons, two Fanouts, three Connexions, four Farpoints, and published dozens of zines. Without her, there would certainly be no Farpoint, and many of those currently active in local Fandom probably would never have come into the fold.

There will be a memorial at Shore Leave, which my mother-in-law, Bev Volker is organizing via Marilyn M. (who is in charge of programming at Shoreleave) Bev and I will also be working on a tribute piece for the Farpoint website.

No firm plans have been announced on a charity donation in Marion's name. If you have ideas, please share them.

That's all for now. Again, I'm sorry if this is the first you've heard. I've been on the phone literally all day letting Marion's friends know -- and she had many, many friends. I know we're all going to miss her.

--Steve>>

That's all from me now too. I'll pass on any info as I get it.

Love to all,
Martha

Subject: Re: [VP] Sad news
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 16:44:07 -0600
From: rdpress

Oh no! I don't think I ever met Marion, but I know she was a mainstay of fandom... I feel diminished...

Kari M.

Subject: Re: [VP] Sad news
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 23:36:23 -0400
From: bright eyes

I've only met Marion a couple of times at conventions, but I remember her fondly. My heart goes out to her family and loved ones, and to those of you here at VP who knew her well. I will say a prayer that the angels will take her by the hand and guide her to her new home.

Cheri

Subject: Re: [VP] Sad news for VenicePlace
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 22:53:40 -0400 (EDT)
From: MrMoJoRsn2

In a message dated 6/22/00 10:20:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time,   flamingoslim@delphi.com writes:

<< While Marion was a lurker on VP, she was extremely active in fandom. She put out many zines, ran cons (she was a primary member of the Connexions con committee), and ran mailing lists. Her loss is a blow to fandom, and leaves a gaping hole in the heart of her friends. >>

When I heard the news this afternoon I was studying for an Economic final  that was supposed to have happened this evening. (Needless to say I postponed the mid-term.) I too was extremely upset and called Mamabird, Martha and Maria to offer my support and talk about Marion.

I met Marion at Connexions two years ago and then as Martha and I became friends came to know Marion through Martha. Marion was a sweet, wonderful person who always had a big smile for everyone. In fact, I remember having a great time at lunch (just Marion and myself) this past Media West. She was so upbeat that her surgery had gone well and was looking forward to her next UNCLE zine. I'm not into UNCLE, but Marion had such enthusiasm I took to reading a few UNCLE stories on her suggestion. While I don't think I could ever be into UNCLE, I liked some of the stories. UNCLE fandom surely is morning tonight.

I am moving next month and I had invited a few S&H fans from the Baltimore/Washington D.C. area to my going away BBQ and of course, Marion was among those invited. I just got an e-mail from her last week. It saddens me to think I won't ever see her again. She had so much left to do with her life.

Just got off the phone with Martha and she will be posting information about the funeral/wake tomorrow. This weekend will be a sad time for us all. So, say a little prayer for Marion, I know she is looking down on us and smiling.

Laura

Subject: Re: [VP] Sad news for VenicePlace
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 23:23:23 -0400 (EDT)
From: Killasdra

Thank you to everyone for sharing their thoughts about Marion. It feels good to know that she was appreciated and will be missed. I didn't know Marion well, but as others have said she always had a smile or an interesting thought about fandom to share, and I have many of her wonderful zines (from Trek on down) in my closets. She was a warm, self-effacing woman who was always doing something creative for fandom - usually ten somethings.

We last corresponded a couple of weeks ago, when she was asking me to write an article for her UNCLE newsletter. I was really swamped with work, but was so touched that she'd asked me that I found time. It was partly because I really admired her for the way that she encouraged other fans in their creative efforts.

I will miss seeing her at cons, and I wish that I had known her better. My heart goes out to those of you who were particular friends with Marion. I know you have lost a very special friend.

Hugs all,
Killa

Subject: Re: [VP] Sad news for VenicePlace
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000
From: otterlady

Although I didn't know the lady, I know she was friends with many of you, so to all of you who loved Marion, please know my sadness on your behalf. The loss of one diminishes the whole.

Take care and love one another,
Barbara

Subject: Re: [VP] Sad news
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000
From: Starsk13

I just wanted to add my condolences to family and friends of Marion. She brought a lot to fandom, and it won't be quite the same without her.

Leah

Subject: Re: [VP] Sad news
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000
From: paladin

I'm heart broken about Marion. I was not extremely close to her but was fortunate to have had a few conversations with her over the last couple of years. I can only imagine how badly this must hurt her family & close friends. My deepest sympathy to her family, friends and to fandom as well. We've lost a treasure.

Love,
Paladin

Subject: [VP] Re: Condolences for those who knew Marion
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 21:56:34 -0700
From: waliss

It is always tragic when someone passes, but particularly when those who love the person are not ready for it. My deep condolences for all who knew Marion and those who were closest to her. I never knew her, but in reading the Tributes to her on this list, I regret that I will never have the chance to meet her.

I believe in the afterlife; a place where your soul is transformed and the veil is lifted. You understand everything and there is pure love. I am sure that Marion is still very much herself, but a much larger Self than she could ever be in these few dimensions in which we exist. Where she is right now, I'll wager that she can spread herself among the cosmos and be in pure bliss.

I think that she'll be waiting, and in less time than can be imagined, there will be some terrific reunions --- time doesn't exist in those dimensions.

I hope this small thought can bring some comfort to those who are left behind.

Most Sincerely,

Janie

Subject: Re: [VP] Sad news for VenicePlace
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 12:29:14 -0500
From: pooka

> From: otterlady <ottrlady@direct.ca>
> Although I didn't know the lady, I know she was friends with many of you,
> so to all of you who loved Marion, please know my sadness on your behalf.
> The loss of one diminishes the whole.> 
> Take care and love one another,
> Barbara

I didn't know the lady, either, but she sounds like a wonderful person. My sorrow and deepest sympathy to those that knew her and are in pain, and especially to her family.

pooka

Subject: Re: [VP] Sad news for VenicePlace
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 17:48:16 -0400
From: Carbook 

> While Marion was a lurker on VP, she was extremely active in fandom. She
> put out many zines, ran cons (she was a primary member of the Connexions
> con committee), and ran mailing lists. Her loss is a blow to fandom, and
> leaves a gaping hole in the heart of her friends.>
> Flamingo

I am so sorry to hear this news.

Losing a listsib is hard, but I know that there are a lot of you who were blessed to know her in person. I know this must be terribly hard for you all.

My condolences to all her friends on this and other lists, and my sympathy to those who knew her well and especially to her family.

May you all find peace in her memory.

Cindy R.

Subject: In Memory of Napasha
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 16:07:28 -0700
From: jatona 

I would like to add my deep sadness, extreme grief and shock at this news I just received today.

I cannot find the words at the time for I am numb inside.

I know she is in a far better place and I will see her again.

Rest well, Napasha and, from the bottom of my heart, thanks!

Jatona 

Subject: [VP] Marion
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 21:21:01 -0400 (EDT)
From: Glorug

I've had so much going on in my head since yesterday when I heard the news of  Marion's passing and I feel the need to share some of that now. I've learned  a lot about grief in the only way that one really can, by going through it. I  know how many of you out there are grieving now and most of you probably not  for the first time. I think the Internet is a forum that allows people to share themselves during hard times like this, the same way a wake or a funeral bring together people who are feeling similar things and enjoying the comfort of others around them who understand.

When someone leaves us, like Marion has, the first thing we focus on is the void in our life that the person has left. For each of us, Marion's passing leaves a different void. Some among us were her dear friends, some knew her as part of the fabric of fandom, some knew her because they had purchased her zines, others never knew her at all. Yet, we each feel a piece of that void today as one of our own leaves us. Fandom is a family and like all families do, we grieve together though each of us has different backgrounds and experiences with the person we've lost.

The next thing that we seem to feel when someone passes is the ache of all the other losses in our life. It's as though each new death renews each grief we have gone through in our life and we are offered the opportunity to cry and feel the pain again. Yes, I did call it an opportunity. There's something cleansing in that grieving, something very real about touching our soul and our emotions in that manner that only grief can. And in that grieving, we honor all those who have gone. In one of the numerous grief books I've read of late, this passage by James A. Peterson stood out for me...
"To grieve is also to celebrate the depth of the union. Tears are then the jewels of remembrance, sad but glistening with the beauty of the past. So grief in its bitterness marks the end...but it also is praise to the one who is gone."

Beyond these feelings, the next thing that seems to hit us when someone passes is that renewed realization of how fragile life is. We think how easily that could have been us. We compare what our similarities are to the person who has passed. We wonder what it would be like if it was us. We sit dumbfounded when we think that we can be talking to someone today and they could be just *gone* tomorrow and that we are powerless to stop that or have any control over it. It's a scary feeling, realizing how fleeting life is, how temporary a gift it is. We find ourselves wanting to hold on with both hands to everyone we hold precious and never let go, yet realizing with a heavy heart that there is no way that we can. We promise ourselves that we will never again take life or people or love for granted, yet realistically we are also aware that we probably will. It's awfully hard to live each day with the heavy knowledge that ourselves or anyone we love can go at any 
moment, so we tend to push that thought to the furthest reaches of our minds. A new death just kicks all those old feelings right back up though, and for a little while those thoughts consume us until the time when we can put it to the back of our consciousness again.

I just wanted to take this time to reach out to all of us in this fandom family who are feeling any of the many emotions death and grief kick up within us all. My heart goes out to all of Marion's family, her close friends and all of us in fandom who feel her loss so deeply. She was a kind, friendly, generous woman who contributed so much to fandom and to life. She will be greatly missed, yet also remembered fondly always.

I've been looking back at all of my own losses these past few days as the shock of Marion's passing made it's way through me. I've thought lots about my brother, my sister-in-law, her father, my nephew, my brother-in-law, my grandparents, my father, some dear friends, and I miss them all. I like to believe that all of them, including our dear Marion, are together somewhere now in a far better place and that they are watching over us and shining their light our way.

A few years back, a friend of mine, a fellow teacher in my school, took his life. I not only had to deal with my own grief but that of all the children in my class who were hurting and confused and in pain. It was a long, slow, painful journey for us all and I believe the only thing that made it tolerable was holding on to each other and sharing it. We held a memorial service in our school and my children desperately needed some way to express their feelings and sadness to the man's family who were in attendance. They sang this song, a song I'd heard done by Linda Ronstadt, that had touched me. I've played this song for myself often these past years. I wanted to share those lyrics with all of you. Peace and love to you all and to your families. 

Hold on to each other.

Love Gloria...

GOODBYE MY FRIEND

Oh we never know where life will take us,
I know it's just a ride on the wheel.
And we never know when death will shake us,
And we wonder how it will feel.

So goodbye my friend.
I know I'll never see you again.
But the time together through all the years will take away these tears.
It's okay now.
Goodbye my friend.

I've seen a lot of things that make me crazy,
And I guess I held on to you.
You could have run away and left, well maybe,
But it wasn't time and we both knew.

So goodbye my friend.
I know I'll never see you again.
But the love you gave me through all the years,
Will take away these tears.
I'm okay now.
Goodbye my friend.

Life's so fragile and love's so pure.
We can't hold on but we try.
We watch how quickly it disappears,
And we never know why.

But I'm okay now.
Goodbye my friend.

You can go now.
Goodbye my friend.

Subject:  Sad news about a dear friend.
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 00:05:58 -0400
From: Ruth 

Many thanks for sharing this with us. It is always such a sad thing when we lose a fellow fan, especially one totally involved in our welfare. 
Love,
Ruth

Subject:  Marion
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 01:40:18 -0400
From: Ann 

Dear Martha,
I can't begin to express my shock and dismay. Please let me know if there is anything I can do. Marion was a true friend and a light in fandom. Right now I'm just trying to understand that I won't see her again.
Yours in grief,
Ann 

Subject: [VP] For Marion's page
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 09:20:15 -0700
From: Lucy 

I was shocked like everyone at the news of Marion's passing. I just saw her at MediaWest this year. I was wonderful to see her and chat again after so many years. One of the beautiful things about fandom is as live changes and our involvement in fan things ebbs and flows changing also we can come together after years and years and it is if we were never gone. Marion was especially good about receiving people openly and lovingly. 
My thoughts will always go to zines when I think of Marion. She was the first to have ever encouraged me to write, and publish me. If it had not been for her attitude and gentle editing that was so encouraging I might never have taken the plunge at all. Ultimately whatever I've written in all the fandoms in which I am involved, she was the first open door. For that I will always be grateful. I'll miss her. 
Lucy 

Subject: [VP] Goodbye
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 17:02:02 -0400
From: moonshine71
Dear Friends:

I've just returned from Marion's funeral. The service was lovely and her birth family could not have been more warm and receptive to Marion's fan family. Now comes the hard part for both of her families--living without her. I'm reminded of a quote from General Sir Peter DeBilliere on attending funeral of a fallen comrade:
"It came to me then, as never before, that when someone dies the tragedy is not so much for him, or her, as for the other people who have to go one with their lives"

Goodbye, Marion. Godspeed--or rather, I should say, warp factor six.

Pax, 
Kath

Subject: Marion
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 10:25:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: atirakei

I've been away! Left early Friday morning, returned very late yesterday (yes, I actually took vacation - Family Reunion). I only began reading e-mail this morning. I can only tell you that I stared at the screen for several minutes not really understanding what I was seeing.

There is nothing I can say that would express the honor due Marion. I had known her about 15 years, even longer if I count the years I  actually read the zines without knowing the person behind the print. She was one of the ones who unwittingly inspired me to write fan stories, eventually writing slash. She was a kind and generous  soul, doing acts of "bending over backwards" on my behalf when  she didn't have to.

>From leaving on Friday to today, I feel a thread in a familiar, well love tapestry has broken. There is nothing more I can say except: 
Marion, thank you. Please save a table for me at that eternal fan con we're all destined for....

Blessings go out to Marion's family, Marth, Jan, Carole, and all others whose life she touched deeply, and who, in turn, touched hers....

Laurie

Subject: Marion
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 12:11:00 -0400
From: Jan

There is so much I would like to say about Marion. I'd like to be able to express what she has meant to me as a friend, and also to share what kind of person she was with those of you who never knew her, or didn't know her that well. I don't think I can express this adequately in one post or many. But I'll try. And maybe I'll borrow some words from other friends to help me out :-)

Marion was a fun person to be around. When I first met her, back in 1983, she was already right in the middle of things in Star Trek fandom. She published a popular Star Trek fanzine, Vault of Tomorrow, and she ran Clippercon, a middle sized Star Trek convention. The first time I was invited to her house it was a week before the convention. Her copy machine was running full speed getting the latest zine ready, and some of her friends were teasingly telling her that by the way, they were going to be out of town the next weekend :-) 

Marion was the most popular person around. Everyone wanted to spend time with her, including the guest stars. As a matter of fact, it became a frequent joke that you could never find Marion at a convention because she was off having lunch or dinner with one or the other of the guest stars :-) 

This was not a major frustration. Marion had a flawless management style. If you told her that something should get done, she assigned you to take care of it. That's how I ended up running the Fandom Feud gameshow, and became a member of the committee. She was good at delegating, and once she said you could do something, she never stepped on your toes. That's why so many people liked to do things for Marion: She had confidence that you could do the job.

While I was still whole-heartedly involved with Trek, Marion drifted out of that fandom, and into Blake 7 fandom, then out of that fandom too. I think she was a little detached from fandom for awhile. While she was in California, we spent a lot of time talking on the phone, and I managed to lure her into UNCLE fandom by talking her ear off and sending her stories and excerpts from stories I was writing. I would have been happy just to have her share my interest in reading UNCLE. But with Marion, whenever she falls in love with a fandom, she does a zine. Hence, seven issues of Classified Affairs. 

I once asked Marion what her social life had been like before she got into Trek fandom. She told me that she hadn't had much of a social life, no real friends and she had spent her evenings watching television with her father. I was stunned that a social butterfly like Marion had not always been that way. But her brother told me pretty much the same thing at the funeral home and said something similar in his eulogy. He was very appreciative of what fandom had done for Marion because she was really a very lonely person before she had discovered fandom. 

A lot of people have written to me and asked about establishing some kind of memorial for Marion. They have asked about what kind of charity she was interested in. Well, truthfully, nothing stands out as being particularly special for her. The cons she has run have always had charity auctions, but we usually had a different charity from year to year. 

I feel that the most important memorial we can have for Marion is to carry on her work. Her zines, or zines like hers that encourage new writers to write. And her conventions. Marion ran two conventions. She was the chairman of Farpoint. Farpoint evolved from Clippercon, a Star Trek convention Marion started over 10 years ago. Farpoint has branched out and is more multi-media with a sci-fi orientation now. Farpoint is a more mainstream convention. There are usually two or three guest stars. A lot of people come to the convention to see the guest stars and then they attend the panels and other activities. That's how they find the real fandom. 

Connexions was truly Marion's baby. She got into slash several years ago, and of course she had to do a convention to show her enthusiasm :-) Before we selected a name for the con, we talked about how the name should reflect what the con was all about. We talked about how we wanted a convention that would bring people together. I suggested, "Connections," and then I looked it up. I found the archaic spelling, "Connexions," and Marion thought it was perfect. Bringing people together in fandom was important to Marion. I hope that Connexions or a similar con will continue.

What else can I say about Marion. She accepted people as her friends very quickly, and once she counted someone as a friend she was loyal to a fault. She was so generous with her time, money and energy. She was always nonjudgmental. Even before she got into slash, she never made you feel that there was anything wrong with it.

Our lives became very intertwined in the past 7 years. We attended cons together and she roped me into working on her projects, her cons and zines. And of course it worked the other way. I'll repeat what I said about her in my editorial in DeClassified Affairs 1. "Most of all, I want to thank Marion McChesney. I would never have dared to do this without her support. I know it's unorthodox to dedicate a zine to your publisher, but I want to dedicate this zine to Marion, who makes all things possible."

Jan D