Chapter 10a

CHAPTER 10B

~~~

    Hutch squeezed Belle into a parking space too small for anything else, and left the little car idling. In her way, Belle was every bit as conspicuous as the Torino, he realized, as people walking up and down the strip eyed the odd foreign compact curiously. That was okay. Kelly's connection didn't notice him, and that was all that mattered.

    The lawyer had changed into faded bell-bottom jeans, running shoes -- Adidas, of all things! Well, at least they were green. -- and a big, shapeless sweater that somehow managed to take shape nicely on her. Hutch watched her warily as she walked down the street from where he'd dropped her off.

    On the way over she confessed she was grateful for the transportation. She was a strange woman -- a Los Angeleno who didn't drive, didn't even own a car. She said she got around fine on public transportation, and hated the freeways, but Hutch had the feeling she simply couldn't afford the expense.

    Hutch concentrated on the woman walking alone, just as he would if he were on surveillance and she were another officer working undercover. Perfect date for a cop, he though with wry smile. She knew it, too, knew he was enjoying the chance to do a little police work in spite of his suspension. For all his complaints about it, Hutch was good at what he did, and took pride in it. While it was a heartbreaking job, at least he had Starsky beside him to ease the really rough spots.

    Unless Starsky was the rough spot. Like when he got shot -- He moved his mind away from that place, shaking it off. He'd learned how to do that months ago. If he hadn't the whole thing would've driven him over the bend. And Starsky wouldn't let him go over the bend. Though he came pretty close to sending me there tonight.

    Kelly had paused near a storefront whose garish banners promised amazing close out bargains, just as it had for the last ten years. A man stepped out of the doorway, moved beside her. Hutch tensed as they walked shoulder to shoulder up the street, talking. They moved slow, then slowed even more, obviously intent on the information they were sharing. Finally, they paused at the mouth of a dark, narrow alley, spoke for a moment, then, together, walked into it.

    Oh, no you don't! Hutch thought worriedly, as he hoisted himself over Belle's door and jogged across the street dodging traffic. Once again, his hand groped uselessly for the gun that wasn't there and he cursed silently.

    Flattening himself against the wall of the alley's entrance, where he couldn't be seen by the two people who'd just disappeared into it, he tried to listen for voices, sound, any indication where Kelly might've gone in the darkness. Easing around the corner of brick wall, he slipped into the alley's shadow and crept along until he finally overheard a low murmuring.

    All right. That's her. Everything sounded good. After a few minutes, he heard soft footsteps approaching, and eased out of the alley the way he came, finally lounging near the mouth like the half dozen other young men standing there. He waited for Kelly to emerge with her escort. When they did, the man gave her a fierce, quick hug then walked away. Kelly turned around, looking for Hutch, but only spied the empty car. Easing up beside her, he took her arm. She stiffened and spun in surprise, then grinned in relief.

    "You were supposed to stay in the car," she chided.

    "And you were supposed to stay where I could see you," he reminded her in turn.

    She glanced around. "Let's talk in the car."

    "Ready for a hot meal?" he asked.

    "More than ready," she assured him. Checking traffic, they walked across the street casually.

    She's good at this, Hutch realized. She's done it before, lots of times.

    As he pulled out into traffic, Kelly pulled a small notebook from her waistband where the shapeless sweater had hidden it. "We went into the alley so he could hand me this without being seen." She flipped through some pages, frowned, then nodded.

    "What is it?" Hutch asked, keeping his eyes on his mirrors and the road. They weren't being followed.

    "A copy of Gunther's lawyer's itinerary for the last month," she said casually. "Looks like he's been visiting the old man pretty often."

    "Well, that makes sense doesn't it? I mean, they are appealing for release on bail, a grand jury, uh, a new trial, or whatever, aren't they?"

    "Yeah. Still. A lot of that can be done over the phone. Not much reason to actually visit the client. It's not like they've got any new evidence to reveal that would help Gunther's case."

    "Except for us," Hutch remarked sourly. "Our credibility's damaged."

    "Perhaps," she allowed. She flipped through some more pages, then mumbled, "This is odd."

    "What?" Hutch asked, glancing over.

    She closed the book. "Sorry. I'm too used to working alone, and I talk to myself -- or to Buddy. Nothing for you to worry about -- and some things I do need to keep confidential. Now, I'm really starved. Where are we going?"

    "Well, actually," Hutch confessed, realizing what street they were on, "I guess I've been automatically driving to the Pits. That's where Starsky and I usually eat, especially when it's late. We're good friends with the owner. Unfortunately, that's where we got drugged, so neither of us have been in it since then. I guess we feel a little spooked."

    "If you've got a friend there, then you need to get over that feeling. The two of you have to stop hiding like moles. You haven't done anything wrong. Time to start showing your face. The Pits sounds fine -- I think." She frowned, looking pensive. "Couldn't your friend have picked a better name?"

    Hutch laughed and continued on course.

~~~

    Huggy looked up when the bar suddenly went quiet. Quiet in a bar as noisy as his usually meant trouble. He was startled as trouble walked right on in -- Hutch and his date. Huggy shook his head, pleased beyond belief that one of the two finally found the nerve to set foot in his establishment again, yet disturbed at the sight of the attractive young woman walking beside the blond cop.

    There were other cops in the place, four uniforms off duty. Three of them glanced uncomfortably at one another, then threw some money on the table and walked out. The fourth argued with them for a moment, then remained, looking grim. Huggy didn't like the expression on the remaining cop's face and hoped he wouldn't make trouble. Most of the other patrons started mumbling to one another.

    Time to make a presentation, Huggy told himself. Need to let the populace know Hutch is welcome here any time, day or night.

    Draping a clean towel over his forearm, he sauntered over to the table Hutch had chosen -- his and Starsky's usual -- and plastered as sincere a smile on his face as he could muster. "Well, well, well! What a pleasant surprise! Detective Hutchinson, it's certainly good to see you again. And who, may I ask, is this lovely lady gracing my establishment this fine evening?"

    The woman raised her eyebrows in surprise as Hutch chuckled and said, "It's good to see you, too, Huggy. This is our lawyer, K.R. Callahan. Kelly, this is our close friend, Huggy Bear, owner and manager of the Pits."

    She nodded graciously and held out her hand to shake his, but Huggy only took it by the fingertips so he could press a kiss to her knuckles. "My lady. This is indeed an honor. For a long time now I've heard good things about you from friends of mine you've aided. Mi casa es su casa. What is your pleasure?"

    "To find a dozen more men in this world with your manners, Mr. Bear!" she said, laughing.

    He shook his head. "To you, Ms. Callahan, it's Huggy. Call it wishful thinking on my part. Perhaps some evening you'll wander in here without a Viking on your arm and let me explain how I got my name."

    She blushed, which charmed Huggy all the more. After all he'd heard about her, he'd found it a pleasant surprise to learn she was neither the evil harridan nor the avenging angel he'd alternately heard about.

    "Careful, Huggy," Hutch said quietly, looking amused. "I think she can take you."

    "Just makes it all the more interesting," Huggy told him, never taking his eyes off the lady.

    "Are the specials any good tonight?" Hutch asked.

    "Why should tonight be any different from any other night?" Huggy shot back.

    "Is that a 'yes' or a 'no?'" Hutch retorted.

    Huggy looked appropriately affronted. "You're pushing your luck, Hutchinson. Of course that's a yes. The Huggy-Burgers are superb. Prepared by my own hand. The fries are the lightest, most delicate -- "

    "Got it!" Hutch said quickly, cutting him off. "Bring 'em on."

    Huggy realized Kelly looked a little concerned. "Uh -- Hutch, I'm sorry to be a problem, but...I'm a vegetarian. The fries are fine, but -- "

    Huggy help up a hand. "Never fear. Huggy, the creative chef, is here! I'll whip up a special special for a special lady. Can you stand to have this Neanderthal tearing into oozing flesh right in front of you? If not, I can -- "

    "No, that's fine," she assured Huggy with a grin. "Hutch can have meat if he wants. It won't bother me."

    "Wait a minute, Hug," Hutch said, stopping him before he could leave. "If you're going to make a vegetarian special for Kelly, I'll have the same. You know Starsky and I aren't eating much meat these days. It'll be better if I don't backslide now, especially since I've nagged him so much about it."

    "Have it your way, Blondie. Between you and Starsky and your special recovery regimen, this place is turning into a veritable health emporium. Imagine that! I feel a new motto coming on -- Eat at the Pits and enjoy the fruit from the tree of life!"

    "Wasn't that supposed to be the Tree of Knowledge?" Kelly wondered, eyeing Huggy suspiciously.

    "I hope you're not insinuating that there are snakes in my family, my lady!" Huggy suggested in mock horror. "Beer okay for both of you?"

    "I'd rather just have tea," Kelly said.

    "Tea it is," Huggy assured her. An Irishman who doesn't drink. More and more interesting.

    As he left the table, he glanced back surreptitiously. The two people immediately engaged in conversation and seemed easy in each other's company. But something was missing. Hutch might as well have been talking to one of his police friends, Huggy realized. There was no spark, none of the flirtatious interest he used to show his female companions. He was warm, sure. Hutch couldn't help but be warm, it was his nature. But there was no interest -- no sexual interest.

    At least not on Hutch's side. K.R. was interested enough.

    Starsky, if you were here now -- Huggy thought irritably. He shook his head. Starsky had his own demons to conquer, and Huggy wondered if Starsky's rigid black-and-white view of the world would ever let him do that.

    Before starting the meal, Huggy rinsed out a rarely used two-cup teapot and found some Irish tea back on a shelf. Setting the tea to steep, he put a cup and saucer with lemon slices on the bar, then poured some cream into a little pitcher. Lastly, he pulled up Hutch's beer. Long used to serving himself, Hutch came over to the bar to collect the drinks.

    "Hey, big fella," Huggy said amiably, "we deliver!"

    "With all that tea paraphernalia," Hutch said, grinning, "it looked a bit much for one man to handle."

    "That's what trays are for," Huggy reminded him, pulling one out from behind the bar and loading the items on it. "Y'know, I could say the same for your lady friend there. Looks a bit much for one man to handle."

    Hutch's brows raised in surprise. "I'm not sure I disagree with you. This was Starsky's idea. I may have bitten off more than I can chew. She's a lot of lady."

    Huggy eyed Hutch, wondering how far he should go. "I have it on the best authority that she's good people, Hutch. Step lightly, will ya?"

    Hutch turned a serious expression on the bartender. "I like her a lot, Huggy. She is good people. My intentions are strictly honorable, sir!"

    Huggy laughed. "That's what I'm afraid of. Hey, your partner was by this evening."

    "Starsky was here? He came into the bar?"

    "Not exactly. I had to meet him outside. He wanted me to find something out for him." Huggy deliberated mentioning Starsky's call from his apartment, but decided against it. "I know things aren't very easy between you two right now. Just remember, if you need a friend to talk to...."

    Hutch smiled warmly. "Who else would I go to, Huggy? Stop worrying about us. We'll be okay. We've been through worse messes."

    Have you? They'd dodged death a hundred times, been through attacks, kidnappings, fire-fights, and been unjustly accused of crimes. But he wasn't sure they'd ever faced the kind of pressure they were under now.

    "The lady's thirsty," Huggy said as he lifted the tray. "And I've got a vegetarian special to create."

    Huggy had just finished pouring the tea -- lingering just long enough to charm the lady a little more -- when he felt a presence beside him and realized it was the fourth cop who hadn't left with his friends. He tensed, all too painfully aware of the last time a cop had confronted one of these men in his bar. Not again. Not another Russo.

    Hutch had looked up from his seat, and his face had gone cold, the way he usually looked when facing a suspect. "Can I do something for you, Higgins?" he asked softly.

    K.R. tensed instinctively, drawing back a little in the seat as if to give the man room to work. Huggy noted, however, that she didn't seem afraid.

    "No," the other cop said quietly, neutrally, "but I thought I might do something for you and Starsky."

    "And what might that be?" Hutch asked in the same tone.

    "I just wanted to let you know, Hutch, that -- well, not everybody down at Parker Center feels the same way about -- about what you two are goin' through. Some of us feel like you got a really raw deal. Your private life's your own business. They were wrong to suspend you. A couple of us have been putting pressure on the union. They ought to stand behind you on this, and instead they're kissin' the mayor's ass. It's not right." Higgins looked around as if realizing he'd raised his voice. "You're both good cops, Hutch. You always backed up your brothers. Some of us haven't forgotten. I just wanted you and Starsky to know."

    Huggy glanced at Hutch and saw the big blond groping for something to say through his surprise. Finally, he blinked himself out of it and said, "Thanks, Higgins. I'll tell Starsky what you said. It'll mean a lot to him. It means a lot to me, too."

    Higgins held out his hand and Hutch gave it a quick shake and then the man left.

    No one said anything for a moment, then Hutch began. "We were the first on the scene of a firefight he and his partner had walked into a few years back. Higgins got shot pretty bad. I did first aid, while Starsky did this broken-field running thing and drew their fire. I guess Higgins still remembers that." Hutch took a sip of his beer. "Too bad his partner doesn't."

    Huggy looked confused, not understanding the reference.

    "His partner was one of the three who walked out when Kelly and I came in," Hutch explained, still staring at his beer.

    Kelly reached over, gripped his wrist. "It took a lot for that man to come over and say that to you. You've got to take this one victory at a time."

    Hutch glanced up at the woman and gave her a smile. "You're right." He looked up at Huggy, then showed him his glass. "But even if this glass is half full, I'm gonna want another with dinner."

    Huggy gave him a quick salute, and went off to start their meal, mentally computing just what he did have to use in a vegetarian special.

~~~

    Those stairs aren't so bad when you take 'em slow, Kelly realized as they strolled up to her apartment door, still continuing the conversation they'd started at the Pits over dinner, carried on in the car, and now worked at on the long walk up. It was rare that Kelly got to discuss law with someone who knew it almost as well as she did and who wasn't trying to use his knowledge against her in court. It was almost like the debates she'd get into with her classmates in college. It was fun. Hutch was fun.

    She slipped her key in the lock while he was making his final point, and stepped into the apartment, the cop right behind her. Once he had hold of an idea, he was like a bulldog, hanging on for dear life, and he was wrestling this one right into the ground.

    "That's a fine argument, Hutch," she acknowledged as she went into her tiny kitchen and put her kettle on for tea. "But remember, you're looking at all that from the vantage point of theory. It shakes out a little differently when it gets put before a jury."

    "Don't I know it," he complained, running a hand through his long hair.

    "Can I offer you some tea?" she asked, as Buddy appeared between her ankles, making his presence known. He scowled disapprovingly at the blond cop. "I'm not a coffee drinker, but I might have some instant in the place for the volunteers."

    "Tea's fine. You're not a beer drinker either. I was paying attention."

    She smiled. "Alcohol never did anyone in my family any favors. I decided when I was ten that I didn't really need it in my life."

    "And when did you decide to be a lawyer?" he asked, seeming genuinely interested.

    "When I was nine," she said, setting up the teapot and putting cups on the counter, while trying unsuccessfully to shoo Buddy off a kitchen chair so she could sit. Finally, she shared the seat with him, as he knew she would do. Hutch sat down across from her.

    "Let me guess," Hutch said, perching his chin in his palm. "Someone close to you had a bad run-in with the law."

    She shrugged. "Not very original, but there it is. My dad. He did a year in prison for embezzlement. I always suspected his boss's son took the money, but dad was the bookkeeper -- " She took a deep breath. "It devastated our family. But that was a long time ago. And you became a cop because...." She tried to guess, unsuccessfully. "Well, it's surely not because you look good in uniform!"

    He laughed. "I guess I became a cop because I wanted to help people. It was the last thing my folks wanted. They saw me as a professional, like the rest of the family. Dr. Hutchinson, or something. Funny, but these last few years I haven't felt like I've been helping people very much. If it weren't for Starsky, I don't know that I'd still be doing it."

    Right on time, she thought wryly. Are you afraid that if you don't say his name at least every five minutes, he won't exist anymore?

    He was looking at her oddly. "I said something wrong just then, didn't I?"

    "No, not wrong," she reassured him quickly. She must be tired if she was letting things show on her face so easily. "It's just -- " She needed to ask him, needed to hear him say it. She had the right, after all, he had asked her out. Under false pretenses? She had trouble believing that; he was one of the most guileless men she'd ever met. And she really liked him. And he likes you, Kelly, that's obvious. He'd be your best friend -- if that's what you wanted from him.

    She wet her suddenly dry mouth, just as Buddy crawled into her lap deliberately to keep himself between her and his competition. She stroked the cat the way he loved it, then deposited him gently on the floor and moved over to the boiling kettle.

    She poured water over the loose tea in the pot, then replaced the lid and covered the pot with a cozy. Turned back to the blond, she asked simply, "Hutch. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but I really need to know. What's the situation between you and your partner?"

    He eased back in the chair, and the knot between his brows deepened. "The situation?" He gave a short laugh. "I thought we discussed this in the diner. In all honesty, Kelly, I'm not sure what you want me to say."

    "Just the truth. I mean -- most of the people I spend time with are men who love other men. My evenings with them are a lot like this one's been. We have fabulous conversations, discuss art, culture, law. I have a wonderful time with them and look forward to those 'dates' even though those men will never touch me, never see me as a woman. Still, they care about me, even love me. They can be fiercely protective and my very best friends. I wouldn't want you to think I think less of them...." She trailed off. "I've had a really fun time with you tonight, but -- you're no more interested in me as a woman as those men are. You weren't at lunch today, and you aren't now. So, forgive me if I'm curious, but I can't figure out why you asked me out."

    "I was afraid Huggy had blown my cover," he admitted ruefully. "In comparison to his colorful 'Lothario' routine, I'm afraid I came off pretty cool. I guess I wasn't being very honest either, with you, or myself. Don't misunderstand, Kelly. I do care about you. You're a hell of a woman, but -- " He stood up restlessly, and held out his hands as if he had no idea how he'd come to be here like this. "In the last few days my whole life's been turned upside down and I don't know which end is up anymore. And my partner thinks that if we just act like everything's normal it will be again, just by wishing it."

    "So, you asked me out to make him happy?" Her brows lifted in surprise.

    "Don't be mad, Kelly. I know it sounds nuts, but it made a weird kind of sense at the time...."

    She nodded, amused in spite of herself. "Yeah, I'm sure it did. Your partner's got a form of logic all his own. I'm not mad." She held his gaze, wanting the rest of it. "Hutch. Are you in love with him?"

    His expression fell, a shadow of fear, regret, and terrible longing all competing for dominance in his eyes. With total honesty, he met her gaze and murmured, "Yes."

    "Is he in love with you?" she asked softly, hating to push but needing to know.

    The expression changed, coalescing into a blankness that said one thing to her -- loss. "No."

    "Are you sure?"

    He laughed sarcastically, a snort of bitterness. "Oh, believe me, I'm sure. I mean -- Starsky loves me. We've been partners for more years than I want to think about. We came up through the Academy together. We were best friends the first week, were making plans to work together as partners after the first month. We've told each other how much we love each other for years. But after Starsky got shot -- everything changed for me, even if I wouldn't let myself realize it. It was too scary. We would've gone on the same old way, I guess, forever. But then we were drugged. You know the rest."

    "And you're sure he doesn't feel the same way, even after--"

    Hutch shook his head. "You don't understand. He doesn't remember that night. I do. Every minute. Everything we said. Everything we felt. But it never happened for him. And I'm stuck with it. The memories. The feelings. He's still my best friend, still loves me, but -- All of this, it's been hard for him. To make matters worse, this is the second time one of his closest friends turned out to be -- something he never expected. He's been incredibly patient with me, understanding, giving. But what I want from him -- it's just not there. And he's convinced that if I just act like nothing's happened between us -- including asking out friendly women -- that it'll all go away."

    "That can't be easy on you," she said, pouring tea for them both. "Cream? Lemon?"

    "Cream, please. Well, it could be a helluva lot harder. He might not be speaking to me at all. He's still my partner. Still Starsky. And I know he still loves me. That counts for a lot."

    She looked at him and stopped herself from expressing the doubt she really felt.

    Hutch stirred a little sugar into the tea and glanced at her guiltily. "You should be really pissed about this."

    "Oh, yeah?" she asked, smiling, sitting back down in the chair. "Well, maybe I can afford to be gracious because I've got my own ulterior motives to be honest about."

    "Don't tell me you're really a lawyer after all!" Hutch chided, his smile lighting up his woebegone expression.

    "You're sure he's not in love with you?" she pressed. "You're not just saying that to protect him?"

    "Starsky doesn't need me to protect him; he does well enough on his own. You don't know him, Kelly. This has really thrown him, my 'changing' on him the way I have. He's being really patient with me, but the whole thing is so alien to him, so bizarre. If I'd developed paranoid schizophrenia, or-or grown another head, I think he could understand it easier. What has this got to do with your ulterior motives?"

    She sipped the tea carefully and considered her next words. She liked Hutch, liked him a lot. She didn't want to hurt him. "How would you feel if -- if I asked him out?"

    To her surprise, the blond threw back his head and laughed softly. "I'd love it! I told him you were interested in him and he didn't believe me. If you ask him out I'll get to rub his nose in it! You'll be doing me a favor!"

    "Will I?" she asked bluntly, not really believing his lovely bravado.

    "Yeah, really, you will," he insisted. "Starsky's never going to roll over one morning and fall desperately in love with me. It's not gonna happen. And I want more than anything not to damage our friendship. If you ask him out, if he goes with you, it'll take some of the pressure off us, Kelly. It's one of the reasons I went along with his wishes and asked you out, to give him that breathing room. To show him I was willing to try."

    She shook her head, wanting to believe him, but still doubting. "Won't it hurt you? You're in love with him. I really like you; I want to be your friend, too. I don't want to do something that could hurt you. It's not worth that to me."

    He slid his big hand over her small one and gave it a squeeze. "We are friends, Kelly. We've become friends tonight. So, really, our date's been a success. And our friendship will make this easier for me. It's going to happen sooner or later. Better with someone I care about, someone I trust, someone I think is worth it, than some strange woman who might not have his best interests at heart. It'll help, Kelly, honest. The fact that you cared enough to ask helps, too." He leaned across the table and kissed her forehead like a brother.

    She sighed, torn between her interest in Dave Starsky, and the chance that something she might do might hurt the gentle, vulnerable man with her now. "I know male lawyers that go out socially with their female clients all the time, but I always wondered about the ethics of it myself. Because of my typical clientele, I just assumed it would never be a problem for me. It certainly complicates things. I may think about this for awhile before I act on it."

    Hutch looked thoughtful. "Don't wait too long, or I suspect Starsky might beat you to the punch."

    "Hmmmm," she murmured thoughtfully. "You've got a point. I'd rather have the mental advantage of asking first. I get the feeling that he's quite a handful."

    Ken's smile was wry. "Oh, yeah. You can say that again!"

Everybody's got a hunger, a hunger they can't resist,
There's so much that you want, you deserve much more than this,
But if dreams came true, oh, wouldn't that be nice,
But this ain't no dream we're living through tonight,
Girl, you want it, you take it, you pay the price.

                        Bruce Springsteen – Prove It All Night

CHAPTER 11a