Vanessa's Worries
1/20/99
from Flamingo

    Hutch and Vanessa were having serious problems with their marriage. After a particularly long night of bitter arguments that ended with a passionate bout of making-up, Vanessa still couldn't tell how Hutch felt.

    She confronted him over breakfast. "Honey, if I died, would you remarry?"

    Hutch stirred his oatmeal and considered his answer carefully. It was obvious he didn't want to rock their leaky boat after they had made up. "After a considerable period of grieving, I guess I would. We all need companionship."

    This wasn't the answer Vanessa was really looking for. She pushed the issue. "If I died and you remarried, would she live in this house?"

    Hutch looked around at their place and again answered cautiously. "We've spent a lot of money getting this house just the way we want it. I'm not going to get rid of my house. I guess she would."

    Vanessa didn't like where this was going, but she couldn't make herself back off. "If I died and you remarried, and she lived in this house, would she sleep in our bed?"

    Now Hutch looked really uncomfortable, but he was a policeman and Vanessa knew he hated liars. "Well, the bed is brand new, and it cost us $2,000. It's going to last a long time, so I guess she would."

    Vanessa felt her eyes tear up. She knew she should stop asking Hutch anymore of these rhetorical questions, but she had to know. "If I died and you remarried, and she lived in this house and slept in our bed, would she use my golf clubs?"

    This time, Hutch was quick to reassure her.

    "Oh, no!" Hutch insisted. "He's left-handed."

Return to Library