All That Blood

Author's notes: This story is written for the X-Files Lyric Wheel. SkinnerBox sent in the lyrics for me to play with. The Lyric Wheel has a lot of good stuff on it, so go and read the rest. This is mine.

Spoilers: For every episode with Alex in it. Alex tells all.

Rated: M for language and slashy thoughts.

hr

Now, lemme tell you a story.

Time was, I was the same as you or I.

Little Alex Krycek, smart suit and red tie, and wide-eyed innocence personified, walking towards a future full of roses and champagne.

So just when did it stop?

Was it the day that Mulder took my car keys from me? I think that it might have been then although to be honest the writing was on the wall way before that time.

So who did I become?

They were waiting for me when I got home. They took me away. They corrected me. I guess that you could say I became their willing servant carefully crafted eager to do whatever the old men wanted and not ask the questions you would have asked. I began to kill got real good at it too. They wound me up, pointed me, fired me, and each time another man bit the dust. It was all one to me in my need to please the old men.

So what changed?

Thats such an easy question to answer. I remember it clearly. It was the day that asshole spic, Cardinale, and his buddy left me sitting in a car that was rigged to explode while they sauntered off to pick up a bag of chips or something such. So at that point the whole thing was over. I was officially cured of my conditioning. Lick, click, see you later! I was gone.

All the way gone, and Id got a secret.

Id got a tape in my pocket that was gonna net me a fortune if I could swing it.

But I couldnt, of course, and you know why.

*He* knows why.

And then I became the walking dead of course. A simple matter of a trip to the bathroom. I went in white and I came out black.

All that blood, gonna fucking well swallow you whole. Peering through the greasy mist that fogged my eyes, I could dig that Mulder wanted me. He was too fucking violent just to be nursing a grudge, and I, poor monster, trapped in the straight jacket of my own body, I couldnt touch except when *it* wanted to.

So then, walking dead, I was buried.

And on the third fucking day, I arose from the dead and went to take my place at Mulders side, but the fucker wouldnt let me, of course. So adaptable as always -- I became what he needed at that time. I became his grass. His informant. His little gutter rat.

It wasnt precisely three days, of course, but it sounds so much better in the telling. Why spoil a story for the sake of telling the truth? I became what he would have me, the way that I always have done for Mulder, and we went on a fucking quest like two knights of old, only his search his grail was the truth and he didnt find it -- or the pot that it was kept in.

He didnt lose anything, however. I was the one that lost.

Crippled.

Do you know what its like to smell that meat thats burning and know that its you? Your flesh in the fire and you no longer able to be who you were? All that ripped away from you. God, how I hated Mulder at that moment. All that blood.

Rattle of bones, dreams that stick out. Mulder gone and I left unwhole and unwholesome.

All that blood.

But you know, Im a rat. I survived. I used what I could who I could. Marita used me right back, of course. The boy? Well, the boy was different. Im sorry about the boy, but it was him or me, and I won, of course. Bozhe moi, prastitye mne!

All that blood, gonna swallow you whole.

Swallow me.

So the old Brit swallowed me, and thats when I became halfway respectable. Crippled rat makes good. See the crippled rat, mama. Look. He thinks that hes a player. The rich old man is letting him play, isnt he? Its all for show isnt it?

Blood is a special substance, little girl. They gotta pray

Dropping down on the old bastard like the angel of justice was a fine moment. Add one angel of justice to the roles Ive played.

I've come to take you home- whoo hoo

And from now on, old snake, old serpent, its me or you. Guess what happens to people in that position. Youd better deal! Don't have a window to slip out of, and the precedent has been set, and set, and set.

So the old man comes back, and what do you know, Mulder isnt happy. How very fitting is that? Im the one detailed to go and point him to his quest once more, and as I say to him while Im straddling his inert body, Id just as soon kill him as not.

But I dont. Instead, I kiss him I kiss the fucker and thats sweet in its way. It confuses the fuck out of him. Sadly it confuses me too. I have no idea as I walk away just what Ive done to myself to him. All those beauties in solid motion.

Mine. Mine, Mulder. Only you dont know it. Youve lost your faith and I never had any to begin with.

So next we come to my sponsors sad demise, and my role as his son and heir. That was a laugh. Me and the snake, polite as cats, and hating each other grimly. An opportunity there for revenge, which I take -- and why the fuck not? I turn his son. The poor slob never knew what hit him. I still feel a little twinge of regret about Jeff, but it wasnt my call. His father killed him, vicious old snake that he was.

Jeff didnt deserve it though. Ive lit candles, posted prayers. All the old men went to wipe out that blood debt, although it didnt bring him back

Still, an oath is an oath, and I vowed before the altar that they were dead men walking. Shoulda seen their faces when the rebels came to get them. And when they split those atoms it was hotter than the sun.

And the screams

And the smell of the burning.

I almost felt that it was enough. Would have been enough if not for the fact that the snake still lived.

So on to one more incarnation.

Jailbird. Fucking jailbird. How dared that old snake even think that I would forgive and forget? Ever since Ive known him, hes subscribed to the philosophy of finders keepers, losers weepers. How could he conceivably think that it didnt apply to him too?

When your hands get dirty, old man

The nanotech was mine by right of possession and that stuffed shirt with the bald head was mine too. He whined and he wriggled, but he did what I told him, and between us we almost got Mulder out of trouble.

Almost. Okay, okay. So he was in an institution, but he would have been fine if it hadnt been for the old snake and his covetous nature. He was safe there, goddammit, with his Scully and his padded cell.

Then came the old bastard and all our troubles started over. He wanted what Mulder had, and I well, so did I, if the truth were told. I wanted everything that he had, from his innocence to his ferocity and all the points between. I killed for him again. I killed and burned, and damn.

Damn, Mulder, you were so helpless, and you never knew that it was me. I killed them all all except the snake. Couldnt get to him in time, but his bitch went in the river and good fucking final riddance.

Then they took me, and I suddenly found myself a jailbird.

Little Alex Krycek again. Dirty face, dirty body, lice and rotten food and tears. They took my arm, god damn them. They left me to face the might of Allah, and I a Christian boy.

I divorce thee.

I divorce thee.

I divorce thee.

So much for the power of the Muslim jail.

Here I am, and Im in my final incarnation or at least, so it might seem. Im tempered in fires that other people havent ever felt. All that blood, gonna swallow you whole. Gotta swallow you. All that blood and most of it on my hands.

I finally did it. I killed the old snake. No more apples held out for little girls to bite and regret. Scully was swelling, and Mulder, my Mulder was gone, God knows where -- the victim of the truth hes always sought.

It was time, and he knew it. He tried to talk his way out of it but you know he could have offered me anything and it wouldnt have saved him. He was due to go down, and down he went.

Strange. When I walked over his lifeless body, I felt nothing. No triumph. No savage desire to rail at him. So soft hard feelings --no tricks lets go -- I've come to send you home- whoo hoo

Send you back to hell.

And then walk away.

Let me ask you a question, cos its getting kinda late and Im near to my time now. How many people do you think I am?

Pretend that I'm somebody else. Mulder does that all the time. Thats what made it easy for him in the end.

All that blood! All that blood on my hands, and I a willing lamb for him.

I saved him, you know? I was the one that gave him his life back. I was the one that got him ready to rumble when the chips were down, and I was the one that suffered for it.

You decide. Did I deserve what I got? Hot metal in the head and an end to all of my dreams?

He stood there and looked at me that day, cold and uncaring. He didnt even meet my eyes as the bald fuck without any conscience stole my life away.

All that blood, Mulder.

All that blood gonna swallow you whole. You needed me to watch your back. You needed me to save you. Now all I can do is keep an eye on the train wreck fast approaching.

When they get you, Ill be waiting, because when it boils down to it, youre mine. The days coming soon. It will be one time too many, too far to go

Let me catch you, Mulder.

I've come to take you home- whoo hoo

The End

hr

Now lemme tell you a story
The devil he has a plan
A bag a' bones in his pocket
Get anything you want
No dust and no locks
The whole thing is over
All those beauties in solid motion
All those beauties, gonna swallow you up
Let's go
Hi hi hi hi hi- yaooa, (barks three times)
Hi hi hi hi hi- Hi
One time too many
Too far to go
I've come to take you home- whoo hoo

And when they split those atoms
It's hotter than the sun
Blood is a special substance
They gotta pray for that man

So wake up young lovers
The whole thing is over
Watch out. Touch monkeys
All that blood, gonna swallow you whole
Hi hi hi hi hi- brrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Hi hi hi hi hi- Hi
So soft hard feelings
No tricks lets go
I've come to take you home- whoo hoo

How many people do you think I am
Pretend that I'm somebody else
You can pretend I'm an old millionaire
A millionaire washing his hands
Rattle of bones, dreams that stick out
A medical chart on the wall
Soft violins, hands touch your throat
Ev'ryone wants to explode

When your hands get dirty
Nobody knows you at all
Don't have a window to slip out of
Lights on, nobody home

Click click- see ya later
Better better- no time to rest
Pick-a pick-a- risky business
All that blood, will never cover that mess.
Let's go
Hi hi hi hi hi- yaooa, (barks three times)
Hi hi hi hi hi- Hi
Let's go
Hi hi hi hi hi- brrrrrrrrrrr
Hi hi hi hi hi- Hi

- David Byrne, Chris Franz, Jerry Harrison, Tina Weymouth
1983 Bleu Disque Music Co., Inc./Index Music, Inc.


| Back to My Stories –|– Email Dr. Ruthless |

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional