******************************************************************************

SEE PART 00 FOR WARNINGS & NOTES

******************************************************************************



LIKE THERE'S NO TOMORROW


by


Candy Apple



If the sun never rises

I wanna go down in flames

I want the last thing I hear

To be you whispering my name

If every moment together

Is time that we borrow

Then hold me tight

And love me like there's no tomorrow...


Christian drummed his fingers on the steering wheel, impatient. The traffic was backed up as far as he could see, and the radio was delivering the news of a multiple car pile-up on the freeway. A truck had lost control and gone off the road, taking out a number of cars in its path. Christian sighed. At least fate had been kind enough to trap him in midday traffic and delay him at least thirty minutes later than he'd expected. If he'd been on time, he would have been right in the middle of the mayhem, or at least much closer to it.


He figured Sean was probably already at the office, pacing around the OR, building a head of steam at Christian for being late for the surgery they planned to do together that afternoon. It was another of Sean's complex, time-consuming pro bono operations that required two surgeons to get through efficiently - - which meant Michelle would already be on the warpath, even if they'd managed to bang it out in record time. Just as he picked up his cell phone to call the office, it rang, Sean's name showing on the display.


"I know, I'm late. There's a pile up on the freeway, and I'm stuck about five miles behind it," Christian said.


"I know about the pile up," Sean said. "I'm in it."


"You mean you're helping with injuries?"


"No, not exactly," Sean responded, an odd amusement in his voice. "I'm under the truck."


"Excuse me?"


"I was in the lane next to it when it lost control. It all happened so fast, and the next thing I knew, there was this crash and everything went dark. I must have blacked out from the impact, because when I came to, I was in the dark, and the passenger side and part of the roof of the car was crushed. I've got this little space...God, Christian, I don't know why I'm not dead. The way the truck landed, the car is wedged under the trailer, and I'm in this spot that didn't get crushed."


"Did you talk to the cops? Rescue workers? Do you need me to call - - ?"


"No, I called 9-1-1 as soon as I came to. I guess they assumed I was dead. They're working on moving the trailer. Well, they will be in a few minutes. They wanted me to stay on the line, but I told them I had some calls to make. That there were some people I'd rather talk to."


"Don't they need to get information from you?" Christian felt the bottom drop out of his stomach. He was breaking out in a cold sweat. This can't be happening.


"Christian, they said there's a danger the truck might shift when they try to lift it. The space I'm in is so tiny that just one slip up when they lift the trailer could crush the rest of the car."


"That's bullshit. They know you're in there. They just need to not fuck up lifting the trailer. Who can I call?"


"I'm sure they're doing all they can, but the cop I was on the line with finally admitted that there was a pretty serious danger of that. I told him I wanted the truth." Sean was quiet a second. "I'm scared, Christian. I don't want to die like this."


"You aren't going to. You shouldn't be alive now, so this miracle happened for a reason. You weren't meant to die today, Sean, or you'd be dead now." The thought sent chills up and down Christian's spine.


"I hope you're right. It's pitch black in here. Thank God for the cell phone, because at least I know I'm not blind. I thought at first when I came to and all I saw was darkness - - even though my eyes were open - - I thought I must have gotten hit in the head and gone blind." Sean's laugh was humorless and terrified. "I need you to promise me that if I don't get out of this, you'll make sure Conor gets his second surgery, and that you'll return the favor - - and raise my son, and love him, the way I raised and loved yours."


"You're going to get out of there and do it yourself, Sean," Christian said, hating the shaking in his voice.


"Just promise me you'll take care of Conor. I know Julia will always be there for the kids, and I know Annie will be okay, because she'll still have her mom. But Conor needs a father, and he needs one who's a doctor, who can make sure he gets the care he needs. Please, Christian."


"You know I love our kids, Sean. I'd do anything for Matt, Annie or Conor."


"Okay." Sean was quiet a moment. "I know you've backed off Julia out of respect for me. I know you stayed away even when we were divorced." Sean muttered something else and there was a sound of breaking glass.


"Sean! Talk to me!"


"What was left of the windshield just went," Sean said, panic in his voice.


"Shouldn't they know that?"


"Don't hang up! I smell gas. It's getting really thick...the fumes." Sean swallowed audibly. "If you want to be with Julia, I don't want you to hold back because of me. You'd be there for the kids, and you could have the woman you always wanted. I know you've always wanted a family, Christian. Maybe I can give you that one last thing if I don't make it out of this."


"You're my family, Sean," Christian said, unable to stop the tears that were breaking up his voice. "I don't want Julia. I want you."


"What are you saying?" Sean sounded puzzled, but hopeful at the same time.


"You can't die in there, Sean. I love you and I can't lose you without - - "


"Without what?"


"Without ever telling you how I feel. Goddammit, I should have said something when I first started thinking about it, but I was such a stupid prick. I spent more time pushing you away than...facing what I felt, and what it could mean for us."


"Look, Christian, as much as I'd love to hear all the details, I feel like I'm gonna pass out from the gasoline fumes, so say what you have to say. Wait, hang on," Sean said, and there was a horrendous amount of noise and interference in the call. "Shit, things are moving."


"Sean, talk to me. What's happening?"


"There's more pressure...I can't straighten my neck anymore because the roof of the car is caving in."


"Is it moving now?"


"No, it stopped."


"Can you recline the car seat?"


"I'm afraid to move."


"Sean, you do know that your head isn't supporting the truck," Christian said, and Sean actually laughed, though it sounded a bit hysterical.


"I'll try moving the seat."


"Just try reclining it a little to give yourself more room." Christian waited what seemed like an eternity while Sean moved around a bit.


"The seat's wedged in position. It won't move."


Christian scanned the traffic ahead of him and spotted a black Hummer. "Hang on, Sean. I'm on my way."


"It's not that I don't appreciate that, but you can't lift a truck off me."


"I'm going to be there when they get you out," Christian said, grabbing his medical bag and getting out of the car, abandoning his prize Lambourghini in the middle of the traffic tie up. "Are you still with me, Sean? You hang in there. I know the fumes are probably getting to you, but you've got to hang tough."


Christian rapped on the driver's window of the Hummer, and the young man behind the wheel lowered it. "I'm a surgeon. I need to get up to the accident. Can you take me down the median?"


"Look, doc, I've got a pile of speeding tickets. If I pull a stunt like that, I could lose my license," he replied, reaching to put his window up again.


"I'll give you seven hundred dollars in cash now and write you a check for $10,000 when this is over. Just get me there. You're in the lane next to the median, you've got the vehicle. Lives depend on this. The cops won't bust you for bringing a surgeon to an accident scene."


The young man considered that a moment, then nodded. "Get in."


Christian got in the Hummer and fastened his seat belt while the SUV's driver maneuvered it out of traffic and onto the grass, then began speeding toward the accident scene.


"Sean, are you there?"


"Yes, I'm here. What are you up to?"


"I'm on my way. I'll be there any minute." He held the cell phone between his head and shoulder as he counted out all the cash he had with him, the seven hundred plus a few smaller bills he didn't bother to count. He stuffed all of it in the Hummer's beverage holder.


"I know you keep telling me I'm going to get out of this, but if they make one mistake moving that truck, or it shifts the wrong way, it's going to snap my neck even if it doesn't crush what's left of me under it. We have to accept that I'm probably not going to make it, and there's something I want to say."


"Me, too, but I'm not accepting anything yet."


"I've been grateful for a lot of things in my life - - my kids, the practice, doing what I love to do all these years. I just want you to know that the best part of it was our friendship. I know I've given you a hard time about 'carrying you' or made you feel I was the big talent, that I gave you so much. That was so much shit. You're a good surgeon, Christian. And a good doctor. You'll do just fine keeping up the McNamara/Troy reputation when I'm gone. You can even finally change the name to Troy/McNamara, if you want. It's not like I'll sue you," Sean added, a smile in his voice.


"I don't want it without you. If you die, I'll sell the damn practice."


"We already did, remember?"


"Then I'll sell it again or burn it down. It doesn't mean anything without you. Nothing means anything without you. Don't you dare leave me, Sean."


"I might not have a choice. As you so aptly pointed out, my head isn't holding up the truck, and there's nothing I can do. I just wanted you to know...I-I love you, Christian. Don't give up until you find someone to share your life with, because you'll be a good father, and you deserve that."


"What if I wanted to share my life with you? It's not Julia I want." Christian paused when he heard a horrible groaning and creaking sound from Sean's end of the line. "What was that?"


"They must be moving the truck."


"I love you, Sean. Don't you dare die on me before I have a chance to prove it to you."


"Prove it? You want to have sex with me? Christian, what the hell are you talking about? After all these years...?"


"I want to make love to you, I want us to be together. My feelings have been changing and I never said anything. I thought they'd go away, that it was some kind of temporary insanity I'd get over." Christian stole a glance at the driver, who looked a bit stunned but was keeping his eyes on the road - - or more appropriately, the grass. "So you can't die and leave me now that I finally figured this out."


"If I wasn't under a truck, Christian, you wouldn't be saying this. There's a danger I might live, you know, and then you're going to have to live up to what you're promising now."


"Do you want me to live up to it?"


"If this truck doesn't crush me, I'm holding you to it." Sean was quiet a moment. "I thought it was just me, and I've hated myself for betraying you that way. For having feelings like that when we were supposed to be friends. I kept telling myself you were my 'brother' - - I thought if I made myself feel dirty and incestuous that maybe it would make the feelings go away," Sean's voice was breaking now. "Even if I never get out of this alive, at least... At least I know you feel what I feel."


The Hummer came to a halt at the edge of a horrific scene of destruction and tangled metal. Ambulances, fire trucks, and police cars ringed the scene; injured motorists lay on the ground with emergency personnel hovering around them. A few seemed to be wandering, dazed, like zombies amid the destruction.


"Here's my card. Call me tomorrow with your information and I'll send you the check."


"Thanks, man," he took the card. "Hey, about you and your friend there? I hope you get him out."


"Yeah, thanks, me, too." Christian rushed toward the area where the truck was overturned. There were straps around it, fastening it to a crane. Police and fire personnel surrounded the area. Christian looked around for EMT's but didn't see any. "Sean, I'm here. I'm right on the other side of the truck from you." Christian waited, but there was no response. "Sean! Talk to me!" he shouted into the cell phone.


"That's far enough," a police officer said, stepping in front of Christian to block his path to the truck.


"I'm a doctor, and my partner's under that truck, Dr. Sean McNamara. You don't have any EMT's here for him."


"There are a lot of injured people we can reach who need help. We could really use you, Doctor," the officer said.


"I'll be glad to help after my partner gets the medical attention he'll need when you pull him out of there."


"We haven't spoken to Dr. McNamara in quite a while. You need to be prepared that he might not make it out of this."


"I just spoke to him less than five minutes ago, and he was very much alive. He said the roof of the car had caved in further, and his windshield broke. He couldn't straighten his neck all the way anymore. He said there were strong gasoline fumes."


"Wait here." The officer hurried over to talk to the fire fighters, who in turn relayed the information to the crane operator.


Christian looked at his cell phone. The connection to Sean had gone dead, so Christian dialed his number again. All he got was Sean's voicemail.


"Doctor, they're getting ready to lift the truck," the officer said, returning to where Christian stood. "You'll have to move back. With the gasoline fumes, the fire department has to make sure we aren't dealing with an impending explosion risk. It'll take some time to do this, and you can't get at your partner to help him until we move the truck. Anything you can do for these people in the meantime will be a big help."


"I want to talk to the crane operator, and then I'll patch up anyone you want me to."


"These are qualified people who know what they're doing. You don't need the crane operator to tell you how to treat injuries. He doesn't need you to tell him how to operate a crane."


"Just give me one minute. Or let me call his cell phone. I'll stay clear."


"Use this," the officer said, handing Christian a radio. "Press that button to talk, release it to listen." Christian nodded and took the radio. "His name's Bill."


"Thanks." Christian pressed the button. "Bill?" He released it and a moment later, a man's voice came out of the speaker.


"Who's this?"


"My name is Dr. Christian Troy. My partner, Dr. Sean McNamara, is in the car that's pinned under the truck."


"I'm gonna do my best to get your partner out of there. I don't understand why you're calling me."


"If you get my partner out alive, I'll write you a check for $100,000."


"Look, Doc, my job is to move that truck. I don't want to crush whoever's under there. I don't care if he's a doctor or a ditch digger. If he gets crushed while I'm moving this thing, it ain't gonna be because I wasn't careful. So you can keep your money."


"I didn't mean to offend you, Bill. It's just very important to me, and I wanted you to know that."


"Yeah, well, I get the message, and you gotta know that whoever's under there, I'm gonna do everything I can to get this thing off him without killing him. That's what I already get paid for."


"I'm glad to know he's in good hands," Christian said. "Sorry if I offended you."


"We're doing our best to get your partner out alive, Doc. Just sit tight." With that, Bill ended his part of the conversation and set his radio down, a gesture Christian could see from where he stood at the edge of the scene.


"Thank you," he said, handing the officer the radio back, impressed and a little stunned with Bill's integrity and willingness to pass up a hundred grand for a principle. He scanned the scene for any unattended injured motorists, and quickly spotted a woman wandering in his direction, bleeding from the head. Glancing back at the truck, all he could think about was how Sean would be moving from person to person, treating injuries and reassuring them, and wishing for the sake of those injured, that Sean was out there helping them.


"Ma'am, wait, I'm a doctor," he said, gently intercepting the dazed woman and guiding her to where she could sit on the guard rail. Once she sat, it was as if she snapped out of her daze. She appeared to be in her sixties, with gray hair and glasses, her cheerful tropical print blouse a bizarre contrast to the horror of her situation.


"Don't waste time on me," she said. "My husband is in the car. He has a heart condition. I can't find anyone who'll look at him. I'm fine, just please help him!"


"Can you show me where he is?" Christian asked, and she nodded, raising a hand to her head. "I need to check you out first. You have a head injury."


"I don't care! He was having trouble breathing. If he doesn't live, I don't care if I do, don't you understand?"


"What's your name?"


"Betty Stafford," she said, confused as to why he wanted her name.


"Betty, believe me, I understand exactly how you feel. Just let me do a preliminary check on you, and we'll go right to your husband. How did you hit your head, do you remember?"


"I wasn't wearing my seatbelt and I hit my head on the wheel. My husband isn't injured from the accident, it's his heart."


"Try to relax, we'll go to him in just a second." Christian proceeded to check her pupils and to perform a few very cursory tests to determine her level of coherence and consciousness, including examining the wound itself, which appeared to be generating a lot of blood from a relatively minor cut just above her hairline. "Take my arm, and lead me to your car, Betty," he said, offering his arm.


She moved him along at a surprisingly fast pace until they reached a blue Buick sedan that appeared to have only minor damage compared to the many tangled wrecks around them. It sat upright, not far from the guard rail, looking as if a collision with another car had possibly knocked it off the road and into the railing.


"What is your husband's name?"


"Richard. Not Dick, he hates that. Richard."


"I can't say I blame him on that one," Christian agreed, approaching the car. He opened the passenger side door to find an elderly man, considerably older than Betty, leaning back in the seat, holding onto his chest, his breathing labored. "Richard, I'm Dr. Troy. I just bumped into a beautiful lady named Betty who said you could use some help here." He put on his stethoscope and listened to the man's heart.


"Hard to breathe," the man wheezed.


"Do you have nitro pills with you, Richard?" Christian started digging through his bag.


"He left them at home," Betty said, almost hysterical. "I didn't know that until we looked for them after the accident. I should have made sure he had them!"


"Betty, I need you to stay calm, and stay with Richard. I'm going to one of the ambulances to get some oxygen and nitro. You need to be calm to keep him calm, do you understand?" he asked, and Betty nodded emphatically. "Good girl. I'll be right back."


Christian rushed across to a nearby ambulance and got into the open back of it, helping himself to what he needed. With supplies in hand, he hurried back to the Buick, where Betty and Richard waited. After giving the man one of the pills and securing an oxygen mask to his face, he paused to reassure Betty.


"The emergency workers are making the rounds to all of the injured people. Just stay with him, and keep him calm. I'll try to check back on you in a little while, okay?"


"Thank you, Dr. Troy," she said, her voice shaky.


Before he could move on to the next person, he heard an ungodly groaning and shifting of metal and turned to see the crane lifting the trailer portion of the truck up, keeping it suspended above what was left of Sean's car, which looked disconcertingly like a smashed insect. Unless Sean was a contortionist, Christian had no idea how he could have folded up enough to stay alive in the space he had left.


He broke into a run, rushing toward the scene. Fire fighters were using the jaws of life to remove the top of the destroyed car while others were hosing the area down to minimize the risk from leaking gasoline. Christian felt his chest tighten as badly as poor old Richard's as he waited what seemed like an eternity for them to remove what was left of the top of the car. Recognizing him, the officer he had spoken to before guided him closer to the scene so he could be prepared to administer emergency treatment to Sean.


"Is he alive?" Christian asked.


"I don't know, Doctor. He wasn't moving and didn't respond, but it doesn't appear that the car caved in all the way, so he wasn't crushed."


"We're going to need a backboard over here, and a neck brace."


"I'll get some EMT's down here as soon as you check his vitals," the officer said, and Christian fought hard not to let his knees buckle at the thought of checking Sean's pulse and not finding one. "Sorry, but we've got too many injured and not enough personnel."


"You mean to work on a dead man," Christian said.


"If he's alive, we'll get you help, pronto."


Christian moved toward the car as the roof was removed, and hurried to the side of it. Sean was bent forward, the side of his face pressed against the wheel. Christian reached in and felt his pulse, nearly collapsing with relief when he felt a strong one.


"Get those EMT's over here on the double!" he shouted, and the officer radioed for the necessary help. "Sean, I'm here. It's over. You're alive, buddy," Christian said, laying his hand on the back of Sean's head, partly to comfort him but also to check for any injuries.


"Looks like he was in the only part of the car that wasn't crushed," one of the firemen said.


"Christian," Sean's voice was a little hoarse and a bit weak, but he was starting to move.


"Stay still, Sean. We've got EMT's coming with back and neck support."


"Don't need it," Sean insisted, straightening up with a little groan. "Nothing hit me. I leaned forward to put some space between me and the roof."


"You've got a bump on the head there, partner," Christian said, checking out a growing lump on the side of Sean's head, presumably from the first impact of the crash. "You're going to the hospital," he said.


"Just get me out of this car."


"Easy does it, Sean. I've got you," he said, wrapping his arms around Sean and lifting carefully as Sean held on around his neck for the boost out of the car, since the doors were too badly damaged to open properly. As soon as he could be on his own two feet, Sean tried to step away, but his legs gave out and Christian caught him and held him up. EMT's were rushing toward them with a gurney. Christian took advantage of the moment to hug Sean and hold him close, if only briefly. The embrace was returned, full force. "I love you," he said against Sean's ear. "I didn't lose you," he added, breaking down.


"You found me, Christian. If it took a truck landing on me for that to happen, it was worth it," Sean said. Then, keeping his face close to Christian's, he confessed sheepishly in a whisper, "I was so scared I pissed myself in there. Some tough guy, huh?" he joked, but it was weak.


"Yeah, my mouth would be dry, too," Christian said, making sure his voice was loud enough to be overheard as he reached into the car and pulled the bottle of spring water out of the beverage holder and uncapped it. He fumbled it and most of the water spilled down the front of Sean's shirt and pants. "Shit, Sean, I'm sorry. I guess I'm nervous," he apologized, tossing the open bottle back in the car, letting the remaining water splash on the seat.


"Accidents happen," Sean said, smiling gratefully now that the water obscured any other wetness on his clothing.


"Your ride's here," Christian quipped, steering Sean to the gurney, where he stretched out. "Any pain in your neck or back?" he asked as the EMT's paused to check Sean's blood pressure and vital signs.


"Just from being hunched over so long. Nothing hit me after the first impact and I could always move until right near the end, when the car started compressing more."


"How's his BP?" Christian asked.


"Do you ordinarily have high blood pressure, Sean?" the young woman asked, checking the reading.


"Nothing serious. Only when I'm under a lot of stress."


"This qualifies," she said, smiling. "It's a little on the high side," she said to Christian.


"I'm a doctor, lady. Can you be a little more specific?"


"Take it easy, Christian. I'm alive and I'm okay."


"It's 150 over 90." 


"We'll keep monitoring you until it goes back where it should be," Christian said to Sean. "Sorry I snapped at you," he apologized, and the EMT smiled.  


"It's okay. We usually talk to people at their worst. No big deal."


"Say, did you happen to work on an older couple in a blue Buick - - the guy's name was Richard?"


"Yeah, my partner worked on him. I think they're transporting him to the hospital, but he's stable."


"I'm glad."


"Christian, this really isn't necessary," Sean said, gesturing at the gurney and the blanket Julie, the EMT, placed over him.


"You're shivering, partner. I'm your doctor. I'll decide what's necessary." He took Sean's hand and held it firmly in both of his. "Trust me."


"Always," Sean replied, letting his eyes drift shut a moment.


"I'll ride with him."


"We've got a couple other more critical cases we need to take out first. We're waiting on another ambulance."


Christian scanned the area and was happy to see that the young man in the Hummer was still watching the mayhem from a safe distance, video camera in hand.


"No problem. We have our own ride," he said, wheeling the gurney away.


"Wait a minute, you can't just leave with him!" she protested.


"Watch me, sweetheart," Christian replied, flashing her a devilish smile over his shoulder as he headed for the Hummer. "Hey, buddy, you want to make a little extra?" Christian asked, and his driver grinned.


"Sure thing, man, wherever you wanna go. I'll put the seats down in back. You can slide him right in."


"I can ride in a seat, Christian," Sean protested.


"Stay put. Your BP's up, and you just went through hell. Relax and let me handle this." 


Once they were on the road, Christian riding in back with Sean, the driver finally asked, "Is this the guy you were talking to on the phone?"


"The one and only," Christian said, smiling fondly at Sean, whose hand he continued to hold in both of his. "My partner, Sean McNamara."


"I'm Doug Randolph," the young man volunteered.


"Thanks for your help, Doug," Sean said.


"Hey, Dr. Troy here really knows how to make a person feel appreciated."


"I offered Doug a little compensation to get me to the scene. He had to drive on the median for four or five miles to get me there."


"But you got there," Sean said, his voice sounding tired but the love in his eyes as he looked at Christian positively shone.


"Anything for you," Christian said quietly, leaning down to kiss Sean's forehead. He didn't think Doug had noticed that interaction, but found himself blissfully unconcerned whether he did or not.


********


Julia hurried into the emergency room carrying Conor, Annie close behind her carrying the diaper bag. Christian was finally relaxed for the first time since the whole ordeal started, drinking a cup of god-awful coffee from a machine, relieved that his hands weren't shaking anymore.


"Where's Sean?" she asked nervously. "Why did you want me to bring Conor?"


"Hi, sweetheart," Christian greeted Annie. "Sean's going to be fine. He's in x-ray right now, but it's just a formality because I don't want to take any chances with him. The car is destroyed, but he was just remarkably lucky. May I?" he asked, reaching for Conor.


"Sure," Julia said, with a confused little smile.


"Sean wanted to see the kids as soon as he got out of x-ray. He was pretty shaken up." Christian was distracted by Conor's wriggling, which inspired him to start treating the baby to a series of odd faces and equally odd sounds.


"Annie, why don't you take Conor's bag and find us a couple of seats over there," Julia said, guiding Annie toward the waiting area.


"When can I see Daddy?" she asked.


"In a few minutes, honey. Now just sit down over there while I talk with Uncle Christian." Once Annie complied, Julia turned back to Christian. "He was pinned under a truck. How could he be fine? How could that not kill him?"


"It was a big rig, with a trailer. When it lost control and flipped on its side, the trailer landed at just the right angle that it smashed most of the car except for a cramped space on the driver's side. He went through a pretty traumatic crash and then waited for them to move the truck, knowing it could shift and crush him any minute. I was on the cell phone with him for some tense moments." Christian paused, smiling down at the baby and making a little kissing noise at him. "If it's all right with you, I'd like to take Sean home with me tonight. His blood pressure is a little unsteady, he's been through a lot, and you've got plenty to handle with Conor - - "


"Does he need special monitoring or care? I thought you said he was all right."


"Honestly, Julia? I feel like I really need some time with him. Those minutes on that cell phone were probably some of the worst of my life, and it made me realize that I haven't spent much time with my best friend lately. I'd appreciate the chance to just visit with him a while, maybe fix dinner, watch a game or something. If you'd rather he goes home with you, I understand."


"No, that's fine, Christian. Conor doesn't always sleep that peacefully, and even with Marlowe there, I'm still up and down part of the time. The solid sleep will probably be good for Sean if his blood pressure is up."


"Great, thanks. Let's go see if he's back from radiology," Christian suggested, and Julia nodded, motioning to Annie to join them. When they reached the exam room, Sean was back, sitting on the table buttoning his shirt, though his hands were shaking noticeably.


"Oh, Sean, are you all right?" Julia asked, moving forward to hug him. He returned it, though he stiffened a little as his neck and back were starting to feel the effects of the stress and awkward position from his ordeal. She noticed the movement and backed away.


"Sorry, Jules. My back's a little sore, that's all. I'll be fine. Hey, princess," he greeted Annie, getting down off the table to hug his daughter.


"On the news it said a truck landed on your car," she said, looking worried.


"It did, but I'm fine, sweetheart. Just a little stiff from being in a tight space for quite a while. Don't you worry about anything, okay? I'll be just fine, good as new, after I get a little rest."


"Somebody else is ready to see his daddy," Christian said. "You feel steady enough to hold him?"


"Absolutely," Sean said, reaching out for the baby and cradling his son in his arms. He held onto Conor's hand, the one that had not yet been through the surgical procedure, and kissed it, a couple tears rolling down his cheeks.


"The main thing Sean was concerned about when we talked on the phone was his family," Christian said to Julia, who smiled slightly.


"Are they releasing you?" she asked Sean.


"I was supposed to lie still and wait for the x-ray results, but around here, I'd have bedsores if I did that. Can you find out what's taking them so long?" Sean asked Christian.


"It's only been a few minutes, Sean. Take it easy. I'll see if I can speed things up." Christian patted Sean's shoulder before leaving the room.


"Christian wants to take you home to his place tonight, so I'll get your overnight bag from the car. I brought some things in case you were admitted."


"Do you mind if I spend the night there? This whole experience was pretty surreal, and I know I put Christian through a lot on the phone. Annie, would you mind getting me a bottled water from the machine in the waiting room?" Sean asked, handing Annie some money he dug out of his pocket with his free hand.


"Sure. I'll be right back," she said, taking the money and hurrying out of the room.


"I thought I was going to die. I was panicking, and I know I shook Christian up pretty well."


"You called Christian from your cell phone while you were pinned under a truck?" Julia asked.


"I was in a small part of the car that wasn't crushed, and I managed to get a hold of my cell phone. I called 9-1-1, but once they knew I was alive under there, there wasn't much reason for me to stay on the phone with them. I called Christian."


"That shouldn't surprise me. I don't know why it still does." Julia shook her head, then reached for the baby. Sean relinquished Conor to her.


"What do you mean?"


"You think you might die at any minute, and you call Christian? Did you think of me, of Annie?"


"I thought of all of you. I also thought I might be crushed any minute and I didn't want that to be the last thing you or Annie heard from me."


"Everything okay?" Christian asked, entering the room.


"Fine. You two have a nice evening," Julia snapped. "I'll pull up to the entrance and send Annie in with your bag," she said, striding out of the room. Annie was on the other side of the door, puzzled by her mother's brisk departure. "Give Daddy the water and say goodbye. He's spending the night at Uncle Christian's."


"I'm glad you're okay, Daddy," Annie said, hugging Sean and handing him the water.


"Thanks, honey. I'm fine. Maybe I can come by school tomorrow and take my best girl out to lunch, huh?"


"Okay. See you tomorrow," she said, leaving the room.


"Julia didn't take it too well that I called you instead of her."


"Take it easy, Sean." Christian took a hold of Sean's wrist, checking his pulse. "The x-rays are clear. Your neck and back are fine, and your bump on the head is just that, but we'll keep an eye on you anyway, just to be sure. The doctor's on his way in with the final form for you to sign so we can get out of here."


"Am I going to live?" Sean quipped regarding Christian's pulse-taking.


"It's more rapid than usual, but that's not surprising. You need some rest and to unwind a little. I think I know just the thing for that."


"You do, huh?" Sean looked at him, a little surprised at what sounded like a sexual innuendo.


"Hot soak in the tub, a prolonged massage, and we'll see what comes up." Christian flashed him a grin. "Pun intended."


********


They arrived at Christian's place via a limo service Christian contacted, having arranged for a tow truck to pick up his Lambourghini and deliver it. He steered Sean toward the bedroom. "Get undressed and put this on," he said, tossing a blue silk robe on the bed.


"Julia probably packed my robe in there," Sean said, pointing at his overnight bag.


"Something nice and sensible, probably. This is pure silk, Sean. Indulge yourself, live a little. You almost got killed today. Don't you think it's time you started living it up a bit?"


"Okay, I'll put the silk robe on. Then what?"


"I'm going to draw a hot bath for you, throw in a few special bath oils that relax sore muscles, and then work the rest of those knots out by hand," he said, grinning and flexing his fingers. He sighed, his shoulders drooping marginally at Sean's serious expression. "Are you okay?" he asked, and Sean looked up at him from where he'd started to unbutton his shirt, his hands still shaking a bit.


"You mean besides the fact I can't unbutton my own shirt because my hands keep shaking? The last time that happened, I damn near lost my career."


"This isn't the same thing," Christian said, crossing the room and covering Sean's hands with his own. "It's the lingering adrenaline, the stress...having a truck land on you is pretty damn traumatic."


"What do you want me to do, Christian? This whole thing with the robe and the massage and the bath... I don't know if I'm ready for all that."


"I want to make you feel good, and I want to see the stress go out of your body so you can get some solid sleep. If you'll let me, I want to hold you all night and just feel you breathing against me so I know I didn't lose you before I ever had you."


"I can do that," Sean said, his voice a little strained. He pulled his hands away and slid his arms around Christian, starting an embrace that was returned with passion and intensity. "Shit, I thought I was dying," Sean admitted in a tight whisper. "I've never been that scared."


"I know. You did great."


"I did shit. I was so scared I pissed myself when the windshield broke."


"Yeah, that was really silly of you to be upset because you thought you were about to be crushed to death." Christian closed his eyes and held Sean even tighter. "I kept thinking that I wished I was there with you because I didn't want to live without you." He wasn't prepared for his own emotions to surface and tears to fill his eyes, but they were there, and suddenly the embrace was as much for him as it ever was for Sean.


"You need to be sure you don't think you want me because I nearly died. I didn't, and you don't have to prove anything to me or go overboard with being glad I'm alive."


"Is that what you think this is about?" Christian stepped back.


"I don't know, Christian. It seems like you want to put more distance between us one minute, and the next minute it feels like old times, and then this happens and you suddenly want me in a way you never did before. I'm not up to the back-and-forth anymore."


"This isn't the first time I ever thought about you that way. I just didn't move...I didn't act on it or say anything. I stood there and let you remarry Julia when I wanted to grab you and kiss you and tell you that you ought to be saying those words to me, not to her."


"So it's not about the accident?"


"No, Sean, it's not about the accident, exactly. After Grubman died, I realized there weren't a lot of people in my life who loved me. She told me she loved me, not long before she died. I never said it back to her. I'm not sure why, I just didn't. Maybe I didn't realize it."


"That's my whole point, Christian. I didn't die. You can tell me you love me or that you're glad I'm alive, we're always going to be friends. You don't have to go to this extreme."


"Do you want to go there with me?" Christian asked. "Because if this isn't what you want, I'll back off. Right now."


"It's too much what I want for me to let it happen and then have you wake up and regret it."


"The only thing I regret is waiting so long."


Christian abandoned talking and leaned toward Sean, who didn't exactly move toward him, but didn't move away, either. He closed his eyes when he felt his lips touch Sean's, but was almost unprepared for Sean to respond the way he did. He returned the kiss with an urgent desire that took Christian off guard. Sean deepened the kiss, opening his mouth, his tongue meeting Christian's eagerly.


There was no reason to hold anything back now, and Christian didn't. He put everything he had into kissing Sean, tasting and owning his mouth in a way he never cared to with anyone he'd been with before. There had always been something better, something hotter, something lower than his mouth that he'd wanted satisfied. At that moment, all he cared about was the feeling of Sean's mouth joined with his, one hand possessively on Sean's head, fingers locked in his hair, the other pulling his body as close as he could.


He was surprised when Sean nudged them backwards until Christian fell on the bed with Sean on top of him, the kiss never faltering. Their hands clumsily pulled at each other's clothes, the technique far secondary to reaching the goal. Sean managed to get Christian's shirt off, and Christian fought to get Sean's out of the way, then cursed when he was faced with the t-shirt.


Reading his frustration, Sean moved away long enough to pull the shirt over his head and throw it aside. Christian couldn't resist reaching up with both hands to caress the soft chest hair, rubbing his thumbs over Sean's nipples. The little indrawn breath and shiver that evoked in Sean seemed like the sexiest things Christian had ever seen or heard. That is, until his gaze locked with Sean's and the raw passion, love, and need in his eyes delved right into Christian's soul.


He pulled Sean down again, kissing him, running his hands up and down the smooth expanse of Sean's back, waiting for just one sensation, one move, one scent, one taste that wasn't wonderful, that didn't go straight to his heart. Annoyed at the remaining barrier of clothing between them, Christian reached for Sean's belt and opened it, unzipping his fly, his hand brushing against the hardening bulge there. Sean groaned and pushed against his hand, and Christian had to smile at the urgency.


As if by unspoken agreement, they rolled apart briefly and rid themselves of pants, underwear, and socks. The short break did nothing to cool their excitement. Christian took the opportunity to pounce, rolling Sean under him. Reluctantly giving up Sean's mouth, Christian kissed a trail down Sean's chin and throat, licking and sucking at the soft flesh near his collarbone, leaving his mark. He moved down to a nipple, exploring the shape, size, and texture of the little nub with his tongue, smiling when Sean arched his back and gasped, his hand sliding into Christian's hair.


It was Christian's turn to let out a surprised gasp of pleasure when Sean's hand very carefully enclosed Christian's cock, pumping tentatively, as if he wasn't quite sure it was all right to be doing what he was doing.


"Yeah, that's good," Christian whispered against Sean's ear. "A little tighter," he said, surprised at the intensity of the sensation when Sean complied.


"You can close your eyes and pretend I'm a Victoria's Secret model," Sean joked, but the thought behind it froze Christian in motion, and hit him right in the heart.


"Look at me." Christian took Sean's face in his hands and Sean looked directly into his eyes. "My eyes are wide open, sweetheart." He put his hand over Sean's, were it was still wrapped around his erection. "This isn't for anybody but you. And if you close your eyes, it means I spent all that time at the tanner and got that lipo for nothing."


"You didn't need lipo, Christian. I always thought you were perfect," Sean said honestly, his free hand resting on Christian's side, near where he'd had one of his nearly non-existent "love handles" suctioned out. Christian held Sean's gaze a long moment, realizing that Sean would look at him with that same depth of love and devotion whether he was tan, sleek, and sexy, or old, bald and fat.


"Promise me you'll never do an asinine thing like get trapped under a truck, ever again." Christian wrapped his arms around Sean and held him, feeling the strength of his embrace matched. There was something unsettling, awesome, and just a little bit wonderful about the arms holding him being as strong as his own. "You're never going to leave me."


"You just figured that out?" Sean replied, a smile in his voice.


"Shut up and kiss me."


As they went back to kissing and caressing each other, their bodies rocked together, the maddening slowness of the build of pleasure inspiring them and frustrating them at the same time. At that moment, neither wanted to give up their warm, steamy embrace and the slide of skin on skin, or the hungry, almost desperate union of their mouths.


Sean broke the kiss, gasping, moaning, his body trembling as he came, the pleasure plain on his face and completely open and undisguised. Christian had made him come just by rubbing against him, and Sean let him see every shudder and wave of pleasure cross his features. Feeling his own climax building, Christian resisted the urge to look away, or bury his face in the seductive, warm space between Sean's neck and shoulder. He laid his hand on Sean's cheek, encouraging him to open his eyes again, even though he was inclined to leave them closed in the afterglow of his orgasm.


Christian came, letting his pleasure show on his face as Sean watched, a look of wonder on his drowsy, sated features. When it was over, Christian slumped next to his lifelong partner and new lover, and they tiredly wound around each other in a loose embrace, legs tangling and lazily rubbing against each other.


"Is it okay to sleep?" Sean asked, almost there anyway.


"A nap afterwards is the champagne chaser for great sex," Christian replied, yawning, and then smiling at Sean, who was already dozing. "You've been through a lot today," he whispered affectionately. "Sleep all you want, sweetheart."


Christian let himself drift in and out of a happy, sated haze, but he couldn't quite drift off to sleep. He'd come too close to losing Sean, and then had gotten him back in such an amazing way that all he could do was lie there quietly and listen to Sean breathe, and feel his chest rise and fall with healthy, living respiration.


********


Sean opened his eyes, and for a moment he was puzzled which sensation to think about first. His head ached, his neck and back hurt like hell, and he was held in a warm embrace that felt better than anything he'd every experienced in his life.


"Welcome back," Christian said, kissing Sean's forehead.


"What time is it?" Sean raised his head a bit, then groaned and let it rest on Christian's shoulder again.


"It's about eleven. You needed the sleep. How do you feel?"


"Like I got hit by a truck," Sean quipped, smiling. "I'm trying to move something that doesn't hurt." Sean sighed. "It was a nasty impact and a long time to stay curled up at an odd angle, I guess."


"The offer for the soak in the hot bath still stands, and I have been told that my massages are among the best in the area."


"Julia was really upset that I called you and not her. I don't think my coming over here tonight went over too well, either. I should go home."


"Why? It's after eleven, the kids'll be asleep, and if Julia isn't, she will be soon. You feel like shit and you need someone to take care of you. I just happen to have a free evening."


"I can't just leave my family this way, Christian."


"You aren't going to leave them. They're our family, and we're both still here."


"I know it's wrong, but after what's happened between us, I don't want to go back to Julia, to my marriage. This feels so right, like it's where I belong. Where we've been headed all this time."


"Why is it wrong for you - - for us - - to be happy?" Christian rubbed Sean's back gently. "I'm glad you don't want to go back, because I'm not letting you go. Julia had her chance, now it's my turn."


"Did Julia ever really have a chance, or did we just use her to deflect what we felt for each other?" Sean was quiet a moment. "Sometimes I think we just wanted a woman to be a conduit between us, and she always has been. Maybe it's not her fault that it didn't work for her with either one of us."


"Maybe it's time we set things right, and got on with our lives."


"I can't walk away from Conor, not when he's going through his recovery, and another surgery coming up - - "


"You aren't walking away from him."


"Julia wasn't in favor of doing the first surgery. If I leave her and the kids now, divorce her, God knows what'll happen with Conor's second surgery."


"It'll be done. Julia's a good mother, and in the long run, she'll see that what you're doing is best for him."


"She's sleeping with Marlowe."


"Well, that's kind of surprising and...not." Christian tightened his hold on Sean. "When did you find out?"


"I didn't in so many words, but things they've both said...it's not hard to put together."


"Then maybe she won't be as upset about this as you think. Of course, you thought she was sleeping with Jude and she wasn't."


"Thanks for reminding me of that. This is different. My suspicions about Jude were on a lot shakier ground than this."


"You lie here and relax. I'm going to draw your bath, open a bottle of good wine, and remind us both how goddamn lucky we are to be here." Christian moved so he was on top of Sean. The warm weight felt good, and a little intimidating at the same time. Christian was bigger, maybe a bit stronger if he got the right advantage. Still, there was something comforting in being blanketed and surrounded by your lover in way no woman could do it. "I came way too close to being at your house tonight helping Julia pick out the right suit to bury you in. I don't give a shit how pissed Julia is, or whether or not the timing is good. I love you, and I'm not letting you go."


"I'm not going anywhere," Sean said, reaching up to touch Christian's face. "I've never gone anywhere, at least, not for long. I never could stay away from you, or stay mad at you, even when I wanted to. God knows, I've wanted to," Sean added, rolling his eyes. "Remember when you told me Michelle was in your blood?"


"I don't want to talk about Michelle right now."


"I wasn't really talking about her. But you said she was in your blood. Well, you're in mine, Christian. I think you've always been there."


"Stay here and relax. I'll be back for you in a few minutes." Christian leaned in for a long kiss, and Sean didn't really want to let him go, even though the hot soak and massage sounded like heaven when he felt as stiff and sore as he did.


********


Sean leaned back in the tub and closed his eyes. The hot water felt incredibly good, and whatever oils Christian had added to the water were doing all the things they were supposed to do. There was a spicy, herbal scent to the steamy water, and he could almost feel the stress physically moving out of his body.


"Stay still and keep your eyes closed," Christian said softly. Sean followed the direction, figuring Christian had steered him right so far. He felt his arm being gently washed with a soapy sponge. He opened his eyes and looked at Christian, surprised. "No one's ever given you a bath before?" he asked, smiling. Sean was momentarily distracted by how stunning Christian looked in the black silk robe he wore.


"Uh, sure. When I was little."


"Not since then?" Christian asked, soaping Sean's chest.


"I usually just take a shower."


"I'm going to have a lot of fun with you," Christian said, smiling brightly as he continued bathing Sean. "Now close your eyes and concentrate on relaxing, and the feeling of the water and the sponge on your body. Let yourself drift."


It would have been easy to fall asleep, but Sean didn't want to miss a minute of the experience. Whatever Christian had in store for him, he wanted to enjoy to the fullest. By the time Christian was carefully washing his feet, he felt boneless and lethargic, and his achy body had almost forgotten all it had been through that day.


"Come on, it's time for phase two," Christian said, holding up an oversized bath towel. Reluctantly, Sean got out of the tub, instantly missing the soothing warmth of the water. Christian didn't give him the towel, but wrapped it around him instead, pulling him close. "Look at me." He waited until Sean was focused on him, their eyes meeting. They didn't say a word, but just held that look. Sean slid his arms around Christian, and the response was immediate and passionate, Christian's mouth on his, their tongues tasting and moving against each other, bodies pressing together as Sean opened Christian's robe to push away the only barrier between them. "If you keep this up, I'm never going to have the patience to give you a rub-down."


"Screw the massage. I want you."


"Don't say that if you don't mean it," Christian said, an urgency in his voice that unnerved Sean a little.


"I know I liked what happened earlier, and I want more of it," Sean replied decisively.


After another prolonged kiss, they returned to the bedroom and slipped between the sheets together, embracing and kissing and caressing, exploring each other's bodies with eager hands and mouths. Christian was becoming more aggressive and taking the lead, and Sean let him. He was relaxed and content, and he trusted Christian on a level he had never trusted anyone else, in bed or out of it.


He smiled and groaned at the hot, wet tongue that licked and probed his nipples and the hands that slid under him and cupped his ass to pull him impossibly closer. He knew Christian was moving lower, and he'd spread his legs to make more room for him, but he was completely unprepared for the feeling of Christian's mouth engulfing the head of his cock, while a large hand wrapped around the base, pumping and encouraging it to hardness. He couldn't remember the last blow job he'd had, and even if he could, it wasn't from Christian, so it didn't count. Not now.


At first he wondered where the sound was coming from that was a cross between a moan of pleasure and a sob, until he felt the warmth of tears behind his own closed lids. He couldn't seem to stop his emotions from doing what they wanted, but he didn't want Christian to take them as a signal to stop. He caressed Christian's head, letting his fingers stroke through the dark, soft hair. When his orgasm swept over him, he gasped and cried out Christian's name, incredulous that his oldest friend and new lover was drinking him down, gently holding onto his hips, acting like he wanted every movement and every drop Sean had to give.


When it was over, Christian moved up beside him, kissing him deeply before nudging him to roll onto his side. He knew he should be nervous, but for some odd reason, he wasn't. Maybe he was too relaxed, or maybe he felt too safe. Or maybe he wanted to give Christian as much as he could and this seemed inevitable.


He felt Christian move away briefly, the tell tale sound of the night stand drawer opening and closing. That sent a little tingle of excitement up and down his spine. He'd always wanted to experiment more with a little backdoor action, but he'd never pictured himself in the receiving role.


"Move your leg up a little, sweetheart," Christian said gently, pushing Sean's thigh a little. He cooperated with the movement. "I'll just put my finger in first." Part of Sean wanted to leap out of the bed and run for the door. He'd never had any fondness for this part of his annual physical, and Christian had large fingers.


And even his fingers were no match for the legendary ten-inch dick that lurked, erect, behind him. The very large, very hard entity that occasionally brushed his thigh or bumped into his buttocks.


"You're tensing up, Sean," Christian said, more concern than accusation in his tone. He kissed Sean's cheek. "I won't hurt you. I know how awful it is when it hurts, and I won't make you feel that way," he said, his voice strained.


"I know. It's okay. Go ahead. I'm just having a bad case of virgin jitters." Sean paused. "I don't want to screw this up," he admitted.


Christian enveloped Sean in a tight embrace, fitting his own body around the contours of Sean's. "I love you so much I couldn't live long enough to tell you. If you'd died under that truck today, I don't think I could have lived through it."


"You're a survivor, Christian. You'd have made it."


"It's hard to live when your heart's dead."


"I know what you mean. I don't think mine was really alive until tonight."


"Let's see if I can liven up more than your heart, huh?" Christian said, the leer in his tone making Sean chuckle and relax. It was so Christian that it made all the nervousness seem ridiculous.


Christian's gel coated finger slowly teased Sean's opening, gradually slipping inside him, making him wriggle a little. It was too slow and too gentle to be really uncomfortable. It was just...odd.


"Still okay?" Christian asked softly. Sean nodded, sighing.


"I'm good. Keep going."


Christian withdrew the probing finger and a moment later, Sean felt himself being stretched a little uncomfortably, and just as he shifted a little, Christian's free hand came up and took his.


"Squeeze my hand if I hurt you, and I'll stop."


Their fingers laced together, and Christian's two probing fingers slipped further inside Sean, curving and searching for his prostate. It felt a little too full, but it wasn't exactly pain. Christian had done his job well. Sean knew he was too relaxed to be as tight as he usually would be. Then the fingers came in contact with his prostate, and Sean felt his whole body react as if he'd been shocked. The pleasure was so intense that it bordered on pain. He wanted it to stop and yet get harder and faster at the same time. He was shaking and gasping, writhing in pleasure, almost too focused on the sensations in his ass to feel the lips and tongue that licked and kissed at his neck and shoulder.


When the fingers were withdrawn, Sean knew what was coming next, and he tried not to brace himself. He wanted it and feared it at the same time, and his body was starting to remember how to be taut again.


"Are you remembering how much I love you?" Christian asked, his whisper hot and soft against Sean's ear. Sean angled his head back for a kiss. He needed that expression of love, and he needed the intimacy of looking into Christian's eyes, at least briefly. As if sensing all that, Christian wrapped his arms around Sean, kissing every part of his face he could reach. Christian's leg moved between Sean's legs, and he groaned in pleasure as Sean thrust back against him, humping his thigh.


Taking that as a signal to move ahead, Christian loosened his hold on Sean and shifted a bit, the slight rustle of paper telling Sean he was rolling on the condom. There was another little pause as Christian lubricated himself liberally before moving back up against Sean, pressing the head of his cock against the opening he'd been so carefully preparing. He took a hold of Sean's hand again.


"Squeeze my hand. If you need me to stop, tell me." Sean nodded at the words, and Christian pushed forward. Sean gripped his hand, unable to keep from making a little noise of pain.


"You didn't tell me it was ten inches thick, too," Sean gasped in a strained voice, and Christian laughed softly behind him.


"Take your time. We've got all night," he said, and Sean had to smile at that.


"I don't think you mean that," he quipped. The pain was easing a little. "Okay, I'm okay."


Christian paused a moment longer, then slowly pushed inside. Sean accepted the pain and the stretching and the way his passage was almost burning from the pressure. His stomach was cramping, and he moaned a little.


"Talk to me, Sean."


"My stomach hurts."


"It's okay, sweetheart. Just relax. It'll ease up in a minute." Christian reached around him and rubbed his stomach. Sean wasn't sure if it was Christian's rubbing or the extra little affection that was making it better. He felt Christian's body tight against his own, and the realization dawned that they were fully joined. "I'm inside you." Christian nuzzled the back of Sean's neck.


"You always were," Sean whispered back, relaxing against Christian, relishing the intimacy of their union. He was going to tell Christian to move, but he didn't have to. Christian was tuned into his body and his mind in a way no one else ever had been, and he started a gentle motion Sean knew was nothing like what he wanted or needed physically to sate his needs.


Sean caressed Christian's thigh, trying to move with him a little. Even though it wasn't the wild ride Christian was used to, Sean hoped he could make up for it by letting him know that it felt good, that he wanted it, that it was okay. He let himself go, making sounds of pleasure as the large cock inside him moved in and out a little more rapidly now. Even though it still hurt and he still felt a little impaled by it, it did feel good at the same time, and it was Christian. It felt good because it was Christian inside him, all around him, wanting him and getting excited for him and before long, thrusting a bit harder and coming inside him. Christian calling out his name. And when he eased out of Sean's body, it was Christian wrapping around him, crooning little love words into his ear, comforting him and cherishing him like he was the most precious lover anyone had ever had.


"You didn't come," Christian said, a little disappointed as he caressed Sean's semi-erect cock.


"I'm not twenty anymore, Christian. You already got two out of me tonight," he said, smiling.


"It hurt too much for you to come, didn't it?"


"You didn't do any damage. My ass is sore, but it felt good to have you in me. Cut me a break. I'm a blushing virgin here."


"You really liked it?" Christian asked, nuzzling and kissing him more.


"I really liked it. I really love you."


"I love you, too," Christian responded, gently pumping Sean's cock. It felt good, and it took his mind off being sore and his neck and back still being uncomfortable from the accident. It wasn't a monumental orgasm when it came, but it relaxed him again, and he enjoyed it.


He rolled over then, needing the tight, intense embrace that entwined them.


"I thought you didn't like cuddling," he said against Christian's chest.


"Let's just say I'm finding out what all the fuss has been about all these years."


Sean smiled at that, and held on a little tighter. When sleep came, he happily drifted off, knowing he'd wake up just as loved and treasured as he felt at that moment.


********


When Christian woke up, he heard the shower running in his bathroom, and the warm spot Sean had occupied was empty. He groaned and rolled over to look at the clock. It was only six-thirty in the morning. Feeling grumpy that Sean had not only gotten up before they could fool around a little to start the day, but had chosen to use the shower at such an ungodly hour, he rose up on one elbow and looked behind him. Sean seemed to be rinsing off, almost finished. So much for sneaking in and joining in the fun. Christian slumped back on the bed and waited until the water stopped and a few moments later, Sean emerged, towel around his waist.


"Sorry I woke you. I need to get home to take Annie to school. Could you give me a ride?"


"Wait a minute. That's it? You're going home like nothing happened?"


"No, but Julia is busy with Conor in the morning and I always take Annie to school. Plus, I can't just walk out on Julia without talking to her first."


"But you are planning to talk to her?" Christian said, sitting up in bed.


"As soon as Annie's at school and Conor's had his morning feeding. Can you hold down the fort at the office until tomorrow?"


"If you spend the night with me tonight as a reward, I might consider it." Christian grinned, and Sean had to smile.


"I don't expect I'll be too welcome at the house after I have this conversation with Julia, so you'll probably have a long-term houseguest on your hands."


"No complaints here. Everything okay this morning?"


"I'm fine, Christian," Sean replied, and Christian could have sworn he saw a little flush of color in Sean's face as he ducked back into the bathroom. That whole concept turned Christian on more than it should have, and he tried to ignore his body's lecherous ideas. He got up, walking into the bathroom while Sean was shaving, relieving himself and then purposely making a nuisance of himself sharing the limited space around the sink. Once Sean finished shaving, Christian wrapped his arms around him from behind, kissing his cheek.


"This is nice. Waking up together. I wish you didn't have to leave so soon."


"Me, too."


"How do you feel? Your neck and back, I mean?"


"Still sore. I'll probably take you up on that massage by tonight."


"I have to ask. You're not bleeding or anything, are you?"


"No, I'm not. You took it easy on me."


"I was hoping to cancel a few appointments and spend the morning in bed."


"I'll be back tonight. I don't know how I'm going to work everything out, but this is right. I'm not giving it up to keep up appearances." Sean was quiet a moment. "I was so worried about appearances and reputation and being found out when I was with Megan. And then she was dead and by the time I owned up to loving her, to wanting her, I had just finished scattering her ashes in the ocean."


"I think the whole thing was a little more complicated than that."


"Maybe." Sean moved out of the embrace. "I'm going to get dressed while you shave so you can drive me home, okay?"


"Okay. But tonight, we have a date."


"Promise." Sean went into the bedroom to dress, and Christian finished his morning routine, already looking forward to that night.


********


Sean unlocked the door and walked in, finding Julia at the table, breast-feeding Conor.


"I didn't expect to see you this morning. I asked Marlowe to stay late to take Annie to school. They just left, so you could have saved yourself the trip."


"I guess I should have called. I thought I'd be in time to take her," he said, checking his watch. If Annie had already been taken to school, Julia had moved her out the door a bit earlier than usual. He didn't make an issue of it; truthfully, it didn't matter.


"I didn't know you'd be coming home. Did you have a nice evening with Christian?" she asked, laying Conor in his bassinet, then closing her robe.


"I mostly slept, tried to get some of the kinks out of my back soaking in the tub." Sean sat at the table across from her. "We need to talk."


"About what?" she said, getting up and going to the refrigerator, pouring herself some orange juice. "Did you eat breakfast yet?"


"No, but don't worry about that right now."


"I wasn't. I was about to tell you we were out of milk, so if you want cereal, you'll have to go to the store."


"I didn't mean to hurt you by calling Christian. I wasn't thinking very clearly at the time, and I honestly didn't think I was going to live through it."


"So you spent what you thought were your last moments with the person you care about most."


"Okay. Yes, you're right, that's exactly what I did." Sean knew he'd let his irritation get the best of him in making a remark like that, but it had just come out. He was so tired of the sparring and the conflict, and she was right. Denying it seemed absurd, given what he was about to tell her.


"You're unbelievable." She walked away from the table, her back to Sean. "Our remarriage vows, this ring, this whole marriage, it's just another weak attempt at making this family work when we both know it doesn't." She pulled off the ring and, returning to the table, set it down decisively in front of Sean. "I'm sleeping with Marlowe," she stated.


"I know."


"How?"


"You didn't exactly try to keep it a secret, Jules. I'm not an idiot. I put two and two together. But it's okay."


"That's all you have to say? It's okay?"


"Yes, it's okay. I'm sleeping with Christian."


"Oh, Sean, for heaven's sake! This isn't a joke," she said angrily.


"I'm not laughing." He went to the refrigerator to get himself some juice. He was getting hungry and his throat was dry. He suddenly wished he was back at Christian's apartment. He smiled to himself when he thought about how they'd have most likely spent the morning - - making love and feeding each other.


"You're having sex with Christian? I don't believe you. Christian's not gay!"


"But I am?"


"Well, it would certainly explain why our sex life hasn't always been the greatest," she shot back.


"You know, Jules, I'm not going to fight with you about this. But I'm going to be with Christian."


"Wait a minute. You're not going to just walk out and leave me with Conor and Annie and go screw around with Christian."


"I'm not going to desert you or the kids. We'll work out a settlement that's fair to everyone involved, and I'll help with the kids. I want to be part of their lives. Christian and I both do."


Julia walked away, putting some physical distance between herself and Sean. She kept her back to him for several long moments.


"I destroyed my life to do this with you again. I gave up the spa, I went ahead with this pregnancy, and now you're just going to walk out on me because you suddenly decided you're gay?"


"I didn't decide anything. I love Christian, I always have. That's no secret. I loved Christian before I even knew you. I just didn't realize our feelings for each other were leading to this. Besides, you have Marlowe now. You can't tell me you're not in love with him, because I know you are."


"Don't tell me what I feel!" she shouted back, still not looking at Sean. "I slept with Marlowe because he listens to me and he cares how I feel, and he respects me. You never respected me as an equal, Sean. Never."


"That's not true. If this is about Conor's surgery, then no, I guess I didn't because I know what it's like to go to school and have the other kids shun you and laugh at you and call you names because you're different. I had to live like a freak until I was eight years old and my mother finally couldn't take watching me ridiculed to tears, and she couldn't stand that I had no friends, and that everything my father said about little league was true. I don't ever want Conor to hurt that way, and he doesn't have to. So if you get in my way about making his life as normal as it can be, I will fight you with everything I have because I don't respect a bunch of new age bullshit as a good enough reason to make my son go through life deformed!"


There was a blur of motion before the impact, and Sean found himself reeling, grabbing at the corner of the kitchen counter, though it didn't keep him from going down on one knee. The pain in his face and eye was nearly unbearable, and he fought his stomach as it flipped.


"Sean?" Julia's voice sounded a little distant, weak with shock, and Conor was crying. He tried to answer her, but at that moment, talking was too painful. He just knelt there, trying to comprehend what had happened. "Sean, I didn't mean it," Julia said, hovering near him now, reaching out to touch him and then not following through, as if she were afraid. "I'll call an ambulance."


"No, don't call anybody." He managed to get back up on his feet, leaning heavily on the kitchen counter. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw the heavy amber glass votive holder lying on the floor, not far from his feet.


"I'll get some ice." She rushed to the refrigerator, but Sean wasn't really hearing her by then. He pulled his cell phone out and hit the speed dial number he had programmed into his phone for a cab company. After mumbling out the order for a cab, he broke the connection.


"You have to know I didn't mean to hit you," Julia said, her voice rising.


"Please, go to Conor and calm him down." Sean walked away, making his way a little unsteadily into the bedroom. He knew he wasn't thinking all that clearly, but he stuffed a few extra things in a duffle bag, relieved when Conor's crying eased and then stopped.


"Sean, we have to talk about this. My God, Sean, your face is swelling up - - " Julia was in the open door of the bedroom, holding Conor.


"I know it's swelling. I'm a doctor. I'll get it taken care of."


"If you were in love with Christian all this time, why did you do this to me, to us?" she demanded, tears on her face now.


"I guess you got even, didn't you?" Sean retorted, carrying his hastily packed bag toward the door.


********


After finishing the second consult of the morning, Christian looked at his watch. It was after ten, and he still hadn't heard from Sean. He didn't know why that troubled him. Sean was trying to work things out at home, and he had quite a bombshell to drop on Julia. Still, he'd expected to hear something from his partner by now.


The door to his office opened and Sean walked in, closing the door behind him. Christian couldn't believe what he was seeing, and he rose from his chair, his jaw agape. The right side of Sean's face was swollen horribly, displaying a painful-looking array of reddish purple bruising. He was dressed in the same t-shirt, shirt, and pants he'd worn home from Christian's apartment.


"I came in the back way so no one up front would see me," he said.


"What the hell happened?" Christian was out of his chair and at Sean's side in a heartbeat, guiding him to a chair.


"Julia didn't take the news very well. She was upset and she threw something. I just didn't duck fast enough. I didn't even see it coming." Christian crouched in front of him and started gently skimming the injured area with his fingertips.


"It doesn't look like your orbit is involved," Christian observed. "The swelling is bad. Any blurred or double vision?"


"I took a cab over here. My vision's all right, but I've been kind of dizzy. That seems better now. I think it's fractured, probably not displaced."


"Tell me more about the blow," Christian said, pulling up another chair so he was sitting directly across from Sean, watching him intently. "I can't believe Julia did something like this," he said, the shock coming through in his voice.


"It seemed like the longer we talked, the angrier she got, the uglier the conversation got. She grabbed that thing Gina gave her at the baby shower. That amber colored glass thing with the black metal holder?"


"The votive light holder?"


"Yeah, that," Sean confirmed. "She grabbed the glass part of it and threw it at me, and this time, I didn't duck. Bulls-eye," he said, tiredly. "I don't know if she even meant to hit me with it. She looked pretty surprised when I went down."


"You passed out?"


"Not exactly. It just caught me off balance. The pain was pretty blinding when it first hit. Made my stomach turn a little. She was horrified at what happened. I don't think she expected it to hit me."


"Is it safe for Conor and Annie to be with her?"


"She's never raised a hand to any of our children, not once. She'd never hurt the kids."


"You said before that you didn't duck this time."


"Once or twice before, she's gotten angry and thrown something during an argument. It was no big deal because I saw it coming and ducked."


"This is a big deal, Sean. She probably fractured your zygomatic arch, and if it's compressed, we're looking at surgery to reconstruct it."


"The swelling needs to go down before we can get a decent x-ray." Sean leaned back in the chair, closing his eyes.


"We'll take one right away and another one tomorrow after we've iced it periodically. How bad is the pain?"


"Hurts like a son of a bitch."


"Does it hurt when you talk, move your jaw?"


"The whole side of my face is throbbing, Christian. It hurts when I breathe."


"Okay, stupid question. How about some ice and a Vicodin?"


"Sounds better than sex right now," Sean joked, though he didn't quite smile.


"Maybe I can distract you with that later, too," Christian got up to get the ice, patting Sean's shoulder as he passed him. "Stay put and I'll be right back."


Christian got ice from the break room and prepared an ice pack, still trying to visualize Julia inflicting the kind of damage on Sean that he'd just seen. They had a tumultuous marriage at times, but Christian had never expected anything like this. When he returned to his office, Sean was still in the chair, his head back and his eyes closed. He felt a pang of guilt for pushing Sean to tell Julia about them. Maybe if the timing had been different, it all could have been resolved peacefully.


"Here, take this," he said, giving Sean the Vicodin and some water, which he took without comment. "Hold this on your face. As soon as we get a couple of x-rays, I'll take you home." Christian saw confusion in Sean's expression until he smiled and caressed the uninjured side of Sean's face. "Home is my place, sweetheart." Sean leaned into the caress.


"I didn't handle this well. She told me she was sleeping with Marlowe, and I just blurted it out about us. Part of me wanted to get back at her for cheating on me."


"Shh. Just hold the ice on your face and relax."


"I made a total mess of things. Annie was adjusting to the divorce, Julia had her career she always wanted, and now Julia doesn't have her career and Annie thought we were a family again."


"You weren't solely responsible for Julia's pregnancy, and you never forced her to sell her shares of the spa. Annie's a smart kid, she'll adjust. Besides, we're both going to be around for those kids."


"I don't want everybody seeing me in this condition, Christian. Maybe we should just go to the ER for the x-rays."


"I'll make sure it's just us in radiology. Unless you're okay with Karen being there," he added, referring to their x-ray technician.


"Okay."


"I'll go talk to her, and make sure you've got a clear shot down there. I'm going to grab the digital camera. I want to make sure we fully document the injury, if you're dead set against calling the cops."


"I'm not calling the police on Julia."


"You might want some ammunition during the divorce, and for custody reasons. You know she'll fight you about Conor's surgery as long as she has her pint-sized guru hanging around."


"So I should blackmail her with this?"


"Divorce is dirty business, Sean. Custody battles are even dirtier. I should know. If you don't fight dirty, you don't win."


Karen took the necessary x-rays without making a single comment about Sean's injury. At just 26 years old, she'd proven to be one of the best technicians either of them had worked with, and with a husband and new baby at home, she remained immune to Christian's charms and come-ons. Her manner in handling Sean's x-rays was as gentle and professional as it was with their patients.


"You want me to run another series tomorrow, after the swelling goes down a little?" she asked, making a couple notes on the chart. Christian and Sean were viewing the first x-rays.


"Definitely. This isn't giving us a clear enough view of the injury," Christian commented. "We'll do a CT scan and an ultrasound, and I also want you seen by an ophthamologist."


"It's not compressed or displaced, Christian. All we can do is treat it with ice and pain meds, and I'll need to stay on a soft diet for a while. Guess we should have grilled those steaks last night after all," he added, attempting a little humor.


"You take good care of yourself, Dr. McNamara. I'll keep the pictures and the files in a locked drawer, totally confidential."


"Thanks, Karen."


"Karen, can you ask Renee to cancel the rest of the day? We don't have any surgeries on the books, just a couple consults."


"What about Mrs. Landau?"


"She isn't in today. If she comes in and questions it, have her call me," Christian said.


"Okay, will do." With that, Karen left to go talk to Renee, their appointment secretary.


"Come on, I'll sneak you out the back way," Christian said, resting his hand on Sean's shoulder. Sean nodded and stood up from his perch on the end of the exam table, squeezing his eyes shut a moment as the movement made his face and head throb. Christian pulled him into a hug, and Sean didn't resist it. He held onto Christian, soaking up the comfort, resting his left cheek on Christian's shoulder. "Everything's going to be okay," he said softly, stroking Sean's hair lightly.


"How did you know I needed to hear that right now?" Sean asked, his voice tight with emotion.


"Getting hurt by someone you love runs deeper than a physical bruise. Nobody should have to go through that after nearly being killed. You're never going through it again."


"It was an accident, Christian."


"Bullshit."


"She wasn't even looking at me before she threw it. She turned and I guess she must have thrown it without really aiming it."


"If it makes you feel better to let her off the hook, I'm not going to badger you about it." Christian pulled back. "I love you. You remember that, right?" he asked, smiling.


"Always."


"And you're not going to fight me tomorrow on getting more tests run to be positive there's no involvement with your orbit?"


"I'll be a model patient," Sean replied, but he couldn't quite manage a smile. He did manage to return the gentle pressure of a careful kiss Christian initiated. "Shit."


"Did I hurt you?" Christian asked, concerned.


"No, I just remembered that I told Annie I'd take her to lunch today," Sean said, checking his watch. "It's almost eleven thirty."


"You can't show up looking like that. I'll drop you at home, and then I'll go get Annie, take her out for burgers and explain to her that you had a little accident."


"Okay. What are you going to tell her?"


"I have no clue, but when I think of it, I'll let you know."


********


Christian waited in front of Annie's school, and before long, Sean's daughter came hurrying outside. She looked surprised to see the orange Lambourghini parked there, and Christian couldn't tell if she was disappointed or just confused.


"Hop in, sweetheart," Christian said, opening the passenger door for her to get in.


"Where's Daddy?" she said, getting in the car. Christian hurried around to the driver's side and started up the engine.


"Your Dad had a little mishap, but he's doing fine."


"Another mishap? Besides the accident?" she asked, her eyes widening.


"We were working with a patient who was very troubled, and she got angry and threw something, and it accidentally hit your dad. He's got some big bruises on his face, but he's going to be fine. He didn't want you to miss lunch out, so he sent me to stand in and asked if he could have a rain check."


"Can we get take out and go see him? My first period after lunch is art class, and all we're doing is drawing this stupid pot of flowers. I can get excused if Daddy calls and says I'll be late."


"You'd rather get take out and see your dad than go out?"


"Yes," she said, nodding.


"Okay, take out it is then," Christian agreed, smiling.


********


Sean had crawled into bed as soon as they arrived at the condo, and Christian had fixed him an ice pack and given him another Vicodin. He succumbed to the drowsiness and fell asleep, curled up on Christian's side of the bed. He wasn't sure how long he'd been asleep when dipping of the mattress and a hand on his shoulder disturbed him.


"Daddy?" Annie's voice cut through his stupor, and he blinked a time or two and opened his eyes.


"Hey, princess, what are you doing here? I thought Uncle Christian was going to take you out for lunch," he said.


"Does it hurt a lot?" she asked, looking horrified at the swelling and bruising on Sean's face.


"I'll be fine, honey." Sean sat up in bed, regretting the motion as the side of his face and his head throbbed.


"Why don't you come out to the kitchen with me and we'll fix your dad a fresh ice pack?" Christian suggested, taking the used one from where Sean had discarded it on the floor beside the bed. "You need to keep icing that," he said to Sean, who nodded. He was happy to see Annie in one way, but sorry to have her see him when his face looked its worst. When Christian returned with Annie, she was carrying the ice pack, but looked a little uneasy about touching the injured area with it.


"It'll be fine of you don't press," Sean said, patting a spot on the bed next to him where she could sit. She ventured to touch his face with the pack. "I'll hold it, honey. Thanks, that feels great."


"Is your face going to be all right, or will Uncle Christian have to do surgery on you?"


"Christian, do you have a notepad or something? Maybe I can show her what's wrong."


"Sure." Christian got a pen and pad and handed it to Sean. With Annie watching intently, Sean drew a hasty outline of a skull, marking the spot where his fracture was with a simple line.


"That little mark makes all those bruises?" she asked, frowning.


"It's a fracture, but it's not displaced - - that means the two pieces of bone didn't come all the way apart." Sean gestured with his hands to illustrate. "It's also not compressed - - "


"We don't know that for sure until we do the rest of the tests tomorrow," Christian spoke up.


"I don't think it's compressed, Christian. It's my face."


"Right now it looks more like a purple basketball," Christian retorted, and despite her initial trepidation about the whole situation, Annie actually laughed a bit at that. Sean shot Christian a look but smiled as best he could at Annie.


"If it's not compressed, it means the bone didn't cave in, so I wouldn't need surgery because it's keeping its original shape. It's like a vase with a crack in it."


"Did the police arrest that woman who did it?" Annie asked, and Sean looked at Christian, a little flustered.


"She wasn't well, Annie. She needs some counseling, not jail, and your dad was nice enough to not press charges." Christian paused. "I told Annie about the consult with the overwrought patient, the one who was in therapy?"


"She'll be better off getting help than going to jail," Sean agreed, not entirely sure what Christian had said, but it seemed to have satisfied Annie and deflected any suspicion from Julia. "There's something else we need to talk about," Sean said, figuring it wouldn't get any easier to talk about his and Julia's impending split. "Your mom and I - - "


"You're getting divorced again?" she asked.


"What made you say that?" Sean asked.


"Because you didn't come home last night and Mom was really mad, and this morning, she made me leave fifteen minutes early with Marlowe instead of waiting for you."


"I'm sorry, honey. Your mom and I tried, but it's just not working out."


"Are you moving out this time or is Mom?"


"We haven't worked out all the details yet, but I'd rather you, your mom, and Conor stayed in the house. I'll still be nearby, and you'll see me all the time."


"As a matter of fact, your dad will be staying with me for a while, so you can see both of us at the same time," Christian added, sitting on the foot of the bed.


"Who am I going to live with?"


"Wouldn't you like to stay at home, with your mom?" Sean asked.


"She has Conor and Marlowe. Could I live with you?"


"You're always welcome to be wherever I am, princess. We'll talk more about it with your mom before we make any decisions, okay?"


"Okay," she replied, sighing.


"We've got take out for lunch. Chinese. I got you some soup and we picked up some frozen yogurt on the way home," Christian said to Sean, patting his leg.


"I could eat," Sean agreed, and Annie nodded.


After sharing lunch together, Christian took Annie back to school, and Sean turned on the television, holding another ice pack on his face. He was looking forward to Christian returning home, even though he wasn't sure how good his responses would be on the Vicodin, or how much action he could handle with his face feeling the way it did. Though Christian had always scorned cuddling, he hadn't seemed opposed to it after they made love, so Sean hoped for a bit more of it later.


He shifted around in the chair a bit, still noticing a slight feeling of rawness from their lovemaking. Christian hadn't exaggerated his size, and accommodating his full length had been a challenge. Still, the memory made Sean smile to himself, and the thought of the shared intimacy spread warmth through his body. He leaned back in the chair and let himself doze, not noticing the ice pack when it finally slipped out of his hand.


********


"I'm glad to see you got the swelling to go down in your right nipple," Christian teased, his voice only slightly above a whisper. Sean opened his eyes to see his partner leaning over him, holding the ice bag that he'd let slip onto his chest when he fell asleep. His chest felt a bit damp and cold. "I haven't been taking proper care of you."


"Did Annie seem okay to you? Did she say anything else when you took her back to school?"


"Not much. Except that she thinks that woman who hit you should go to jail, even if she has problems." Christian tossed the used ice pack in the sink. "I'm inclined to agree with her."


"Come on, Christian. You wouldn't want to see Julia arrested any more than I do. She didn't mean to hit me. She wasn't even looking at me when she picked up the votive glass."


Sean was unprepared for the glass that sailed across the room, shattering against the wall-mounted television, damaging the screen. He didn't know why he was shaking or why his heart was pounding, but even though it missed him by several feet and he knew Christian knew that, it still upset him more than it should have.


"Was that an accident? Did I not mean to hit the television set even though I threw that glass right in the direction it was hanging?" Christian bellowed. "Quit calling it a fucking accident!" he shouted, striding into the living room. "I didn't have to aim that very carefully either, but I still hit my target!"


Sean dropped back into the chair, not even trying to stop the tears that came. He wasn't sure if he was crying because of what Julia had done, or because his marriage was over - - again - - or because what Christian did reminded him too much of what he'd just been through, because he was in pain, or because the pain pills were messing with his emotions, or maybe because he'd nearly been killed one day and seriously injured the next. He did know that the crying hurt his face, which made it worse, and he wondered how he was going to breathe without blowing his nose, which was off-limits until his fracture healed.


"Shit. Sean, I'm sorry. I didn't aim at you, you know that, right?" Christian knelt in front of where Sean sat in the chair. "I didn't mean to upset you," he said, touching Sean's arm.


"I know. It wasn't really the glass. I just..."


"I know. You've earned a meltdown." Christian fought the lump forming in his own throat. "I hate what happened to you and I hate that I can't go beat the shit out of the son of a bitch who did it. Instead, she's the mother of our children. I can't give her a payback, and you don't want to bring in the cops."


"I don't want to hurt Annie and Conor any more than they already will be from all this."


"I know." Christian sat on the arm of the chair and rubbed Sean's back in long, slow strokes. "You need to calm down, Sean. Getting upset isn't helping your face or your blood pressure, which I need to check later." After a couple moments of silence, Sean spoke up.


"We're not going to be able to watch the game tonight," he said. Christian chuckled at that, leaning in to kiss Sean, then lightly kissing the injured side of his face.


"I guess we'll have to think of something else to keep ourselves busy."


"Just preparing my ice packs will probably keep you busy. I'm really sorry about this, Christian. Things finally come together for us and you spend all your time nurse-maiding me with my broken face and Vicodin-induced limp dick."


"Last night was the best sex I ever had. I think I can handle a mild case of blue balls for a few days."


"It's not that I don't appreciate that you want to make me feel good about it, but I can't believe that. I was nervous and you had to take it easy on me. I know you didn't get to move at your usual speed."


"All day long, it was like I could still feel you around my dick. Even after I showered and put on cologne and got dressed, I felt like I could still smell you on my skin. It was like you seeped into my pores and just...became part of me. I never felt that connection with anyone else. I can fill a lot of ice packs waiting to feel that way again, Sean," Christian added with a little smile.


"Sometimes it scares me a little, the way this is going. It's like I'm falling into something and I've got nothing to hold onto. I'm just going into the abyss."


"Hold onto me. I'm in the abyss with you." Christian rubbed Sean's shoulder gently. "I'm sorry about the glass. It was a stupid thing to do."


"Heavy pain meds tend to make me morose, plus all the shit that's gone down in the last couple days. The glass flying through the room was just a good catalyst to bring it all to a boiling point."


"What do you say I put something nice on the stereo, I'll fix you a new ice pack, and then I'll give you that massage I promised you?"


"Sounds like a pretty dull evening for you."


"You're the most important patient I'll ever take care of. Humor me." Christian reached back to a box of tissues on the coffee table and pulled a few out, handing them to Sean. "Remember, no blowing."


"That might be a worse problem for you than it is for me," Sean quipped, wiping his eyes and carefully wiping his nose. Christian snorted at the humor.


"I just want to take good care of the orbits holding up those beautiful blue eyes of yours." He smiled when Sean looked at him, stunned by the compliment. "I've been looking into those eyes most of my adult life. You didn't think I noticed them? They're the place I look for answers."


"Even when I don't have any?"


"You don't have to have any. I'm starting to think you're the answer to my questions, because for some bizarre reason, I'm looking forward to making you ice packs, rubbing the stress out of your muscles, and falling asleep in your arms. I wouldn't pass on that for a room full of lingerie models," he said, laying his hand on the left side of Sean's face. Sean mirrored the gesture, and they leaned toward each other to share a careful kiss that deepened and lasted until the doorbell rang.


"Were you expecting company?" Sean asked, frowning.


"No," Christian responded, heading toward the door. He looked through the peephole. "It's Michelle," he said.


"Oh, great."


"Just relax there a minute. I'll talk to her." Christian opened the door part way. "Sean's resting. Do you mind if we talk out here?" he asked, gesturing at the hallway.


"I guess not," she said, confused. "I stopped by the office. I just got back from Houston."


"Everything settled?" he asked.


"Most everything. There are a few papers to sign, but the lawyers can FedEx them to me." She smiled a little hesitantly. "I thought maybe we could celebrate, but Linda told me you left for the day - - something about Sean not feeling well."


"It's been a difficult couple of days. Sean was in an accident yesterday, and it was touch and go for a while if they could get him out. His car was pinned under a truck. Bizarre thing is, he didn't get hurt when the truck fell on him," Christian added with an ironic, humorless smile. "There was a...an incident today, and he ended up with a zygomatic fracture - - his cheekbone."


"I know what a zygomatic fracture is, Christian," Michelle said. "That will put quite a strain on the practice, with Sean recovering for so long. Those injuries tend to scare off plastic surgery patients. Will he need repair work done?"


"We don't think so. I'm taking him in for a CT scan, and I made an appointment with an opthamologist to have his eye checked. It's probably just a crack along the suture line, but I don't want to take any chances. He's in a lot of pain with it."


"How did he get the injury? That's usually either a car accident or a fist fight," she said, crossing her arms over her chest.


"He was assaulted. He'd prefer not to talk more about the details right now."


"Surely you can set him up with some ice and take me out for dinner," she said, smiling seductively. "Maybe come back to my place for a while."


"Do you think that's a good idea after you just buried your husband?"


"You think Burt deserves a period of mourning after the way he treated both of us?"


"I'm not defending what he did. I was just wondering if you wanted to be this obvious this fast."


"Since when are you the champion of decorum and etiquette? We've suffered enough for our feelings."


"I can't leave Sean. He's been through a lot, and his face should be iced every hour on the hour. He can't keep up with that alone, and dispensing his own pain pills."


"He's a doctor, Christian. He can handle filling an ice pack or taking a pill. I can't believe after all we've been through to make it to this point, all you can think about is your partner."


"This won't get any easier," Christian said. "Michelle, you know I care about you - - "


"Oh, no, you're not breaking up with me, you son of a bitch. Not after everything I did for you," she concluded, a flash of anger in her eyes that was almost unsettling in its intensity.


"Look, I'm sorry about all that sick shit Burt put us through. And I do care for you. I thought I was in love with you."


"And now you're not?" she demanded, struggling to control her emotions.


"Sean and I discovered some things about ourselves, and our relationship after he nearly died in that accident. There's no good way to say this. I'm with Sean. I mean, with him. It took a truck falling on him to get me to this point, but I'm in love with him. And he feels the same way about me. We've wasted decades of our lives getting here, and now that we know what we want, we're not going to lose another minute. I'm so sorry," he added as she angrily swiped tears from her cheeks.


"So that's it? Everything we had is just...gone?"


"It was a mistake from the outset. I should have never made any moves on you in the first place. You own the practice, and our professional relationship should have come first. It didn't, and I'm sorry for that, but mostly I'm sorry I hurt you."


"Are you sure this isn't some kind of overreaction to the accident? Sean's married with a family, and you certainly haven't shown any signs of being gay."


"I love him, Michelle. I can't help it if it doesn't make sense or it doesn't fit. I love him, and now that I finally admitted that to myself, he's the one I want to be with. I've spent my whole life looking for...something. When Sean and I made love, I found it."


"I suppose the sex probably was better without an audience," she said bitterly, shaking her head. "If you think you're going to dump me like one of the hundreds of brainless sluts you've screwed in your life, you have another thing coming."


"What are you saying, exactly?"


"You work for me, Christian. You and Sean both. If you're not at work tomorrow, you're fired."


"Fine, you do that, honey. When my lawyers are finished with you, you'll be working for me. And before you make any more threats, you might want to think about what I know about you, and how that would play in the press."


"I can't believe you'd threaten me with something like that."


"Don't screw with me on this, Michelle. I'm going to see Sean through the follow up care for this injury. And you're going to have to learn to cope with our relationship and not take it out on me, or Sean, professionally."


"Or you'll do what, exactly? Go to the press and tell them your practice is owned by an ex-hooker? You'll go down with me, Christian. You and Sean both."


"All we have to do here is leave our personal issues at the door when we're at work, and do our best to function professionally. If that can't work, make a proposal to Sean and me to buy you out. Now that Burt's gone, there might be something more exciting you could do with your time than manage a medical practice."


"You had better be sure you and Sean leave your personal issues at the door, too. If I detect any lack of professionalism between you - - "


"We've all been unprofessional in that office at one time or another, you included. The fact my relationship with Sean bothers you is no reason to unfairly target or scrutinize us."


"I'm only going to tolerate so much lost revenue for Sean's recovery time. Wrap up your nursemaid routine in a reasonable length of time, Christian." She took a deep breath, and a last look at Christian before she turned and strode down the hall, not looking back.


Christian went back inside, shutting and locking the apartment door.


"Everything okay?" Sean asked. He was holding a new ice pack against his face.


"I told her."


"You didn't have to do that right away, Christian."


"Yes, I did. What would have been the point of waiting? So she could be more angry and bitter when she found out? Besides, she was showing up here expecting me to go out and celebrate Burt's death with her." Christian sat on the couch. At Sean's slightly horrified expression, he added, "She didn't say it that way, but I guess it was to celebrate her freedom, and our chance to be together."


"Are you sorry - - "


"No," Christian responded immediately, cutting off the question.


"Are we unemployed now?"


"Not that she didn't threaten that, but I countered with threatening to reveal her past, and to sue her. She has no just grounds to fire either one of us, even if we did cancel a few appointments. You're recuperating, so she can't fire you for being injured. If she fires me, her cause would be pretty shaky, and we still own part of the business. A decent lawyer could give her hell for that."


"A few days ago, you were in love with her, and she was in your blood - - at least that's what you told me."


"Are you jealous of Michelle? Because you've got no reason to be."


"How can you just turn off your feelings for a woman you were so...enchanted by?"


"After last night, you need to ask? I don't see you going home to Julia."


"Michelle didn't fracture your face."


"What happened to 'it was an accident'?"


"Maybe a realization. You throwing the glass kind of brought something into focus."


"That was an stupid thing for me to do."


"Not really, because what you said made sense. When you threw that glass, you knew the television could be damaged, but you still threw it. So was it an accident when you broke the TV? Didn't that mean that you didn't really care all that much whether you damaged it or not?"


"It was still a dumb ass way to make a point, even if it worked."


"Julia knew I was there, somewhere, just like she did the first time she threw something at me a few years ago. It bothered me then, but I told myself she was letting off steam, that she was just angry." He smiled. "I actually told her to hit me when she found out about Megan. I thought it might make her feel better. Maybe I just figured out how fucked up that really is."


"Did your parents hit you? Is there some reason you make excuses for someone you love hurting you that way?"


"No, they didn't. My mother was...the best," Sean said, smiling. "She was my best friend, my ally. She never laid a hand on me. My old man could yell a good game, but he wasn't into physical violence." Sean paused. "I know how unhappy Julia's been, and I know I've had a hand in making her feel that way. Maybe I just thought of it as paying my dues for not being a better husband, or giving her a chance to get the anger out without leaving me." Sean sighed. "I just don't want to live that way anymore. I know I'm not perfect, and I've screwed up in our marriage, but I don't want to feel like I have to find ways for the person I'm with to punish me for it. She'll be happier with someone different. And I know I will," he added, looking at Christian with the love visible in his eyes.


"Maybe we can stop talking about our failed relationships, and concentrate on the one that works," Christian suggested. "You hungry?"


"Kind of. That soup and yogurt lunch didn't exactly fill me up."


"You want me to toss a couple steaks in the blender?"


"Asshole," Sean retorted, snickering.


"I can make you something you don't have to chew. Just give me a few minutes to figure it out." He headed to the kitchen, stopping to kiss the top of Sean's head with an exaggerated smacking noise and pat his shoulder on the way.


********


Between the Vicodin, another ice pack, and Christian slowly and methodically massaging the stiffness out of his muscles, recuperation didn't seem like such a bad thing. Sean felt like he was floating, and he didn't fight that feeling. Christian had managed to fix a pretty decent meal by creating some garlic and white cheddar mashed potatoes, accompanied by french onion soup with some mercilessly overcooked onions and soggy croutons, and chocolate mousse for dessert. He was actually free of the nagging hunger that had hung on since sometime the previous night, as he hadn't eaten breakfast before he went back to the house to pick up Annie for school. There was soft music on the stereo, and he was with the one person he loved most in the world.


Lying on his stomach on the bed, wearing just his boxers, Sean was finally being treated to the massage all the promises had been about. It didn't disappoint. It wasn't until Christian chuckled a little that he realized the guttural groan of pleasure and relaxation had come from him. As he tired of the clammy feeling of the ice pack, Christian removed it, as if he were that tuned in to Sean's every movement and sensation.


"Tomorrow, we can start putting a little heat on it for pain. It won't be as unpleasant as the ice packs."


"Thanks for taking care of me like this."


"Remember in college when I got the flu?" Christian waited while Sean contemplated that a moment, then nodded slightly. "I remember you sitting up with me all night and mopping up my puke when I didn't make it to the john in time. You didn't care if you got sick. You didn't even think about it. You missed class, which you never did under pain of death, because my fever hadn't broken yet."


"I haven't thought about that for years," Sean admitted, smiling as much as the pain in his face allowed.


"What's a few ice packs and a couple painkillers?" Christian asked with a grin.


"You're right. You got the easy end of that deal. At least I haven't puked on the carpeting."


"The night is young," Christian quipped, leaning close to whisper in Sean's ear.


********


After additional x-rays, a CT scan, and a visit to the opthamologist didn't reveal any further complications beyond the non-displaced fracture both doctors had diagnosed, Sean and Christian felt more than a little relieved. Sean hadn't really thought he had any of the dire complications Christian was intent on testing him for, but given his brush with death a couple days earlier, he understood his partner's slightly over-the-top follow up care. It felt good to be on the receiving end of a little obsessive caring.


"Now that you know I'm not dying, you could go in for a while today, placate Michelle a bit. I'll be fine at home with the heating pad and my pain meds," Sean said as they left the hospital parking lot. Given Michelle's tirade the evening before, both had decided to get the remaining tests on neutral ground.


"I'm not going anywhere to placate her. You up for a drive along the beach?" Christian asked. It was a beautiful day, flawless blue sky, light breeze. Riding with Christian in his Lambourghini with the top down seemed as close to paradise as Sean was going to get until he was up to more intimate activities again.


"I'd love it."


"Good." Christian put on his sunglasses and turned up the radio. As they left the city traffic behind, he reached out and took Sean's hand, leaving one hand on the wheel. Sean leaned back on the headrest, closing his eyes and enjoying the feeling of his hand in Christian's, the sun on his face, and the breeze in his hair. He had to smile at the song playing on the radio. Carly Simon's voice wafted on the air:


Hold me in your hands like a bunch of flowers

Set me movin' to your sweetest song

And I know what I think I've known all along,

Lovin' you's the right thing to do...


"You sleeping on me?" Christian asked.


"There's a nice visual, but no, I'm not," he said, opening his eyes and smiling at Christian. "I was just thinking how glad I was that they didn't slip when they moved that truck. Right now would have been worth living through that, even if nothing else good ever happened."


"A lot more good is going to happen. I have all sorts of plans for you as soon as your face is healed up a little more."


"I'm too ugly to take out now?" Sean needled.


"Let's just say that some of it falls into the strenuous activity category that's off limits along with the solids for the next couple weeks."


"Gives me something to shoot for, then. This is nice," he said, squeezing Christian's hand. "I don't think I've held hands since...well, I don't remember when it was, but it was a long time ago, and I think I was still a virgin."


"Ancient history, huh?" Christian replied, chuckling. Sean just laughed and relaxed in the seat, a lingering smile on his face.


********


Sean enjoyed his excursion with Christian, but he was way overdue for a pain pill, and the thought of curling up on the couch with Christian and a heating pad on his face sounded like heaven. As they approached the door to Christian's condo, both were surprised to see Julia standing there, a suitcase at her feet.


"I thought you might need more of your things," she said a bit awkwardly, gesturing at the bag. "How are you, Sean?"


"Are you okay with this?" Christian asked Sean. "Because you can just go inside if you want."


"Maybe you could give us a minute, Christian?" Sean asked, touching Christian's arm.


"I'll be inside," he said, passing Julia without further comment, leaving the door ajar.


"It's a fracture, but it's not displaced or compressed, so unless it's re-injured somehow, it should heal without surgery. I'll be off solids for a couple weeks, restricted activity. Christian wanted me to have a CT scan and see an opthamologist, so that's what we did today."


"I didn't mean it, Sean. I was angry and it just happened. I wasn't even trying to hit you. I wasn't thinking about hitting you," she said, getting increasingly upset.


"I'm not going to press charges, Jules. I wouldn't do that to the kids. Or to you."


"Thank you. And thank you for not telling Annie it was me."


"I've been defending you with Christian, saying you'd never hit the kids or lose your temper with them."


"I appreciate that."


"I have to know that I'm right. It doesn't matter if you lose your temper with me, but if you're going to feel that kind of rage with Annie or Conor, I need to know that. The kids' safety has to come first."


"How could you think I would hit the children? You just said you told Christian I would never do that, and I wouldn't."


"I'm glad to hear that. Thank you for bringing the bag."


"You're welcome. I understand why you left, and you have every right to be angry, but the kids miss you, and I'm home through the day. I could help you while you recover. These feelings you're having for Christian, they have to be some kind of fall out from what happened between us."


"I'll be over to see Conor in a day or so, when the swelling goes down a little more. I don't want to scare him," Sean added, smiling slightly. "Julia, I'm not coming back. This is where I belong, with Christian. I'm sorry I didn't see that sooner. That we both didn't."


"How can you just change your whole life that way? All of a sudden you're gay? How does that happen?"


"I'm not gay. Maybe I'm bisexual, because I can love another man that way, I don't know. I don't care about putting a label on it. I know how I feel, and I know it's right. Beyond that, I'm not going to hold back on these feelings because they're not expected or totally explainable. I'll always be here for you and the kids, and so will Christian. But I won't be coming home to our marriage. Besides, you have Marlowe."


"I'm not too sure about that." Julia took in a shaky breath. "He was very upset about what happened. I told him the truth, and he actually told me that he feared for Conor because of my inability to control my anger. I told him to leave."


"I'm sorry. If you two are meant to be together, I hope it works out.


"We were talking about going to Florence. Marlowe's always wanted to study art there, and it would be a wonderful experience for Annie," she said.


"When did this come up? If you're thinking of taking the kids out of the country, I'd like some notice."


"I didn't say anything because nothing's final. Now that we've had this falling out, I don't really know where we stand. Living abroad is such an enriching experience for a child Annie's age...I thought you'd be supportive of that."


"Living abroad? Just how long are we talking about here?"


"We didn't talk about an exact time period. He'd like to move there and - - "


"Then I hope he's very happy there, because you're not taking my children out of the country."


"I can't believe that after what you've done, you'd stand in the way of my happiness."


"If you want to take a vacation overseas, I'll even pay Annie's and Conor's expenses to do that. I think it would be a great experience, especially for Annie. Something I never had growing up. But if you think I'm going to sit back and let you pack up the kids and go live there, you can forget it. If you go to Florence with Marlowe, plan on leaving Annie and Conor with me."


"You're seriously going to force me to choose between Marlowe and my children?"


"If it takes you any time to make that choice, then maybe I should be suing for full custody. Thanks again for bringing the bag." Sean picked up the suitcase to go inside. "In a few days, why don't we sit down with a lawyer and see if we can work out a fair arrangement?"


"A fair arrangement? You're walking out on your family to screw your partner but you still want to control us so we can't be happy!" she said bitterly. Just then, Christian opened the door all the way, taking the suitcase from Sean and setting it inside the door. He handed Julia an envelope. "What is this?"


"See for yourself." He waited while she opened it, Sean watching her, puzzled.


"What is this for?" she said, handing the photos to Sean. They were the pictures taken of his injury shortly after it happened, when his x-rays were taken.


"That's what's called insurance. When a judge sees what you did to your husband when he made you angry, how long do you think he'll consider you a fit mother?"


"I thought you said you weren't pressing charges," Julia said to Sean.


"I'm not. But I'm also not walking away from my children, and I want to be sure any custody and settlement arrangements are at least fair. I don't want to take advantage of you or this situation, but you're not going to pack my children off to a foreign country, either."


"Julia, this can be as peaceful and cordial, or as dirty and ugly as you want it," Christian said. "Sean might not have any plans to report you, but if you screw him over, or try to take his kids, I promise you, I have no problems with sharing those photos with social services."


"What happened was an accident."


"You may not have tried to hit him, but you didn't give a shit if you did. That's not much better."


"Both of you, just stop it. Christian, I appreciate your concern, but I'm right here and I can speak for myself." Sean looked at Julia. "Don't even try me about taking Annie and Conor out of the country. I'll only use these if I'm backed into a corner, but I'll do whatever it takes to keep them here in the States."


"When do you want to have this meeting?"


"Next week?"


"Do you want to just use our lawyer, or are you getting one of your own?" she asked, her hand shaking a bit as she brushed a couple of tears away.


"I'll be off work yet next week, so go ahead and make an appointment with Sam," he said, referring to the attorney who handled their business affairs. "If we can settle things sitting at a table with him, it'll be easier on all of us than lawyering up and fighting it out."


"All right," she said, looking resolved now, straightening her posture, and walking past Sean, heading for the elevator.


"Julia," Sean said, following her a few feet until she turned around. "This isn't about not loving you, because I do. I always will. Just not the way I should for us to stay together and try to make a marriage work anymore."


"I love you, too, Sean, and at least I'm not trying to stand in the way of your chance to be happy again. I wish you could be that mature about this."


"If you love Marlowe and you end up marrying him, that's your business. But where Annie and Conor live, and my chance to be part of their lives is my business. I want you to be happy, but not if taking my kids away from me permanently is what it takes."


"I hope you don't wake up in a few months and realize that this whole thing was another mid-life crisis."


"Like banging the pint-sized nanny?" Christian added. Sean cringed a bit at that, but Julia didn't back down from it.


"Marlowe and I have a relationship that goes way beyond sex. But then you wouldn't understand that, would you?"


Christian moved up behind Sean, putting his arm around Sean's shoulders.


"I do now," he said.


Julia looked at them both for a moment, then turned and walked away.


********


Sean stared at the ceiling, incredulous that neither the pain pills or Christian's body spooned around his was giving him any real peace.


"I hope you're awake, because if you're this rigid when you sleep, there's no massage in the world that could unwind you." Christian's voice was a bit sleep-fuzzy, and the warmth of his breath on Sean's cheek felt good. Even better than the heating pad felt earlier.


"I was thinking about Julia."


"You're honest, I'll give you that."


"I didn't mean it that way. I don't like threatening her and ganging up on her."


"Sean, she screwed Marlowe, and then when you told her you had feelings for someone else, she did this to you. Now she wants to move the kids to Florence?" Christian carefully kissed the swollen area on Sean's cheek. "Look, I don't enjoy hurting Julia either. We've all loved each other for too long. But she has to know that you've got ammunition you're not afraid to use if you want to keep your share of the practice, and get a fair custody arrangement."


"What would you think of selling our shares of the business and starting over? Michelle's going to be murder to work for now, and I'll be honest with you, Christian. I haven't enjoyed very much professionally since we sold the business."


"Starting over is no small item, Sean. She owns the name of the practice."


"What good's that going to do her in the long run? Besides, she can't own our names. If we can't call it McNamara/Troy, we'll call it Troy/McNamara. Or come up with some catchy name and put our full names on the sign with it. A good marketing firm can help us with that. We built our business from nothing, Christian. We have reputations, a following, staff that would move with us. It's time we took our lives back. If we're going to make a change, let's make it count. We have each other, our talent, and a hell of a lot more money than we had when we started out."


"What if we could buy Michelle out?" Christian asked, running his hand up and down Sean's arm. He kissed Sean's shoulder.


"You think she'd let us have the business back and each other, and leave her with nothing, just like that?"


"We'd buy it back from her. She could go invest in something else, get away from a lot of bad memories." Christian's hand was traveling around Sean's side to his chest.


"I thought you didn't want to have sex with me for at least a week for fear of worsening my fracture," Sean said, though the thought of a nice, lazy session of screwing around sounded like just what the doctor should have ordered to relax him.


"Some medical professionals feel that sex is good for a fracture. Releases all those BMPs."


"I don't even want to know which woman, and for what reason, you read up on that one."


"It's true. Sexual intercourse releases bone morphogenetic proteins which aid in the rebuilding of tissue and - - "


"Thank you, Professor Troy. I went to med school, too, remember?"


"I remember. I thought you were brilliant." He tightened his hold on Sean. "And cute, in a nerdy sort of way."


"Fuck you," Sean retorted, chuckling.


"Maybe when you're feeling better. You're right. We should give it a week or so, take another set of x-rays. I just like touching you."


"I like you touching me."


"No reason I can't still do that without getting us all riled up." Christian's arm was still around Sean, but the questing hand that had traveled to his chest came to rest in the middle, avoiding the sensitive nipples and just gently stroking the area near his heart. The hand felt warm and good and reassuring. "Try to get some sleep. Is the pain keeping you awake?"


"It's not too bad. The pills and the heating pad helped. This helps," Sean said, covering Christian's hand with his own. Christian nudged at the back of Sean's thighs with his knee, sliding one of his legs between Sean's. It was a little exciting, but not so blatantly sexual that Sean couldn't bask in the closeness and intimacy of it as an end in itself.


"I love you," Christian sighed contentedly against Sean's ear.


"I love you, too."


"If you want to sell everything and start over, just say the word."


"We'll talk more tomorrow. I just want us to get control of our lives back."


"Okay. Go to sleep now. Doctor's orders."


********


Seated in the conference room were Michelle, her attorney, Sean, Christian, and their attorney. After two weeks of recovery and TLC from Christian, Sean's face was still not fully healed, but only sported slight swelling and some fading bruises. He'd lost some weight on the soft diet, which made him appear a bit more under the weather than he was. Still, neither man had felt, or appeared, more relaxed and content than they did now that they'd formed a united front that very little could penetrate.


"I don't know why you insisted on a formal meeting to present me with an offer," Michelle said, shaking her head. "Landau Industries is not interested in divesting itself of our interest in McNamara/Troy."


"Maybe you should read the proposal before you turn us down, Michelle," Sean said. "I think it goes without saying that there are a number of personal issues that make this arrangement awkward at best, and have the potential for negative impact on the practice, and more importantly, our patients."


"Our patients would never be at risk because of some personal issues. At least, not from me," she concluded.


"Mrs. Landau, I would encourage you to at least allow your counsel to review the proposal," Stan Pope, Sean and Christian's attorney, stated.


"May I?" Jeffrey Danvers, Michelle's attorney, reached out for the shiny black folder containing the proposal. Mr. Pope gladly complied, providing two copies for the attorney and his client. Mr. Danvers was an older man with silver hair and small glasses poised near the end of his nose. An advisor to Landau Industries for over twenty years, his concerns did not lie with Michelle or her emotional reactions, but to the kind of bottom line analysis and profit seeking that had made Burt the success he was.


Michelle made a point of not opening the folder, crossing her arms over her chest, pinning Christian with an angry glare.


"You'll notice that Dr. Troy and Dr. McNamara are offering a substantial profit on the original purchase price," Pope commented, and Danvers nodded.


"I will need time to review this with my client before we give you an answer," Danvers said, closing the folder. "What is your proposed timetable?"


"There is some flexibility, but we would prefer to close the deal by the end of the month," Pope replied.


"I'm not interested," Michelle said decisively, sliding the folder across the table toward Christian. "There's no need for us to review this," she said to Danvers.


"Mrs. Landau, I would recommend that we refrain from making any commitments in either direction until we have fully reviewed the proposal."


"No, that's all right," Christian spoke up, taking the folder Michelle had pushed his direction. "You go right ahead and try running McNamara/Troy without McNamara or Troy, and see how long you retain your clientele. Both Sean and I have other investors interested in our shares of the company, an arrangement that will be much more financially attractive for us."


"Consider the offer withdrawn, Mrs. Landau," Pope said, rising as his clients did. "I will be in touch in the near future regarding the new owners of the remaining 49% interest in McNamara/Troy."


"You're selling?" Michelle looked shocked now, as if she hadn't seen that possibility coming.


"I think we're moving altogether too hastily here, gentlemen," Danvers said, an uneasy smile on his face. "I'm sure Mrs. Landau would appreciate the opportunity to review your proposal."


"That's too bad," Christian said to Michelle. "You had your chance."


"You're awfully quiet, Sean," Michelle said, looking at Sean.


"I just want this done. We came here to negotiate in good faith, and you refused to even do us the courtesy of reviewing our offer."


"But this is the practice you two built together. Your names are on it. You can't tell me that you're that cavalier about giving that up if there's a chance I might consider your offer."


"It's a business, and there are some tastefully done silver letters in the lobby spelling out our names. After nearly being crushed to death under a truck, signatures on paper and letters on the wall don't mean as much to me as they used to. If you won't sell it back to us, fine. Keep it. We'll sell our shares and you can figure out how to run it without the surgeons whose names are on the door." Sean looked at the aging attorney. "Mr. Danvers," he said by way of farewell, then walked out of the room.


"Do you want to leave the offer on the table, Christian?" Pope asked.


"We would like the opportunity to review it further," Danvers added. Christian looked at Michelle, raising an eyebrow slightly.


"I'll discuss the proposal with Mr. Danvers and have an answer for you by the end of the week," she said.


"Fine. I'll let Sean know."


Once they were outdoors, out of earshot of Michelle and her attorney, Pope put on his sunglasses and smiled. He was only a bit older than Sean and Christian and fancied pricey Italian suits and sunglasses that cost as much as some people's engagement rings.


"That was a nice round of good cop, bad cop if I ever saw it," he said.


"It was easy because I meant it. I don't care what she does, and that's pretty liberating. I just want our freedom. Whether she leaves or we leave, it's just a matter of packing a box of stuff out of our offices and moving on," Sean said.


"Not that having a truck fall on you was a nice experience, but the settlement money doesn't hurt in putting this proposal together," Pope said, referring to the trucking company's hastily agreed-to settlement to forestall a lawsuit. The driver of the truck, who was intoxicated when his vehicle crashed into Sean's, had been found at fault in the accident.


"I guess things happen for a reason," Sean said.


"There was no reason good enough for that kind of a close call," Christian said, resting a hand on Sean's back.


"I can think of a couple," Sean replied, smiling at his lover.


********


Sean sealed the top of the carton and set it on top of the others. He'd chosen to pack up his home office and his personal effects from the house while Annie was in school, and Julia was treating herself to an afternoon out with friends. He'd offered to watch Conor while he was here, since Marlowe had the day off, and Julia didn't object.


Satisfied the office was finished, he moved to the bedroom and began removing clothing from the closet. The doorbell rang, and he sighed, a little frustrated at the interruption. It was nearly two, and Annie would be home from school soon. He'd hoped to have all his possessions loaded in the back of the minivan Linda had loaned him before Annie got home and had to see him officially "move out." When he reached the door, Matt was on the other side of it.


"Mom said you were going to come over today to pack up your stuff," Matt said. "I thought maybe you could use a hand. Aren't you supposed to not exert yourself until your face heals up?"


"I had a new set of x-rays done yesterday, and the fracture is healing well. I might actually get to eat something that Conor couldn't chew pretty soon," he said, smiling, stepping back for Matt to come in. "I'm glad you came, though. I think I probably took on a little too much too soon with all this."


"Where's Christian?"


"At work. He spent a lot of time with me when the injury first happened, so he had to get back to the practice. At least one of us needs to be there to keep it going."


"So do you think Michelle's going to take your offer?" At Sean's puzzled expression, Matt clarified, "Uncle Chris told me you were trying to buy back the business."


"When did you talk to him?" Sean asked, sorry he hadn't been a bit more subtle, but feeling hurt that Christian hadn't mentioned talking to Matt, especially when he'd been conspicuous by his absence in Sean's life recently.


"A couple days ago. He called me, Dad."


"That's okay. I was just curious. I'm glad you're keeping in touch."


"Yeah, well, I've been kind of busy." Matt walked with Sean back to the office. "I'll start loading this stuff. Are you almost done?"


"I'm packing my clothes right now, so I'm getting there." Sean handed him the keys to the van. "Thanks again for your help."


"Dad, Mom told me what really happened - - not the B.S. story about the crazy patient."


"She didn't have to do that. I didn't want you or Annie to feel any differently about your mom because of this. It was an accident."


"She feels really bad about it, you know."


"I know," Sean said, nodding.


"But you're still not giving her another chance?"


"My leaving is about more than my face, Matt, although I've done a lot of thinking and soul searching about that, too."


"It's because of her affair with Marlowe, right?"


"In part," Sean admitted. "I don't think your mother really wants to reconcile, if she were being honest with herself. She's pretty attached to Marlowe," he concluded.


"She's still in love with you."


"I know you'd like to think that, and maybe she even thinks that on some level, but she's pretty serious about Marlowe. They were talking about moving to Florence together."


"What?" Matt asked, looking surprised.


"I shouldn't have said anything. Don't let on to her that I mentioned it. It's not going to happen unless she signs over custody of Annie and Conor to me first. She's not taking them out of the country."


"Man, I never would've guessed she'd want to do that." Matt sighed. "So that's what the big break-up is really all about?"


"Mostly, it was about Christian."


"Their affair was years ago! You can't still be blaming her for that?"


"Not about Christian and your mother. About Christian and me." Sean took in a deep breath. "You know I'm staying at Christian's place."


"Yeah, so?"


"I'm going to be doing that permanently. I mean, I don't know if we'll be staying there or ultimately moving somewhere else, now that I look at all this shit I'm hauling over there, but...the point isn't where we live, it's that we'll be living together. Permanently."


"You mean you're sharing expenses?"


"Well, that'll be true - - we'll both be pulling our own weight financially in whatever our living accommodations turn out to be. Christian and I are a couple, Matt. We're...lovers."


"You're full of shit," Matt said, an uneasy smile on his face. "This is a joke, right?"


"No, it's not a joke. When I almost died in that accident, Christian and I realized that we'd been denying feelings for each other for a long time. Feelings we didn't want to deny any longer, until it was too late. Even if your mother hadn't thrown that votive candle thing at me, I wouldn't have been staying anyway."


"This is incredible." Matt shook his head. "And I was worried about telling you my news."


"Your news?"


"Yeah, well, it doesn't seem so shocking anymore. Kimber and I got married last week."


"You're joking."


"You and Christian are screwing each other and you think I'm joking about marrying a beautiful woman?"


"She's a predator, Matt. A has-been porn star who's moved from selling sex dolls to selling cult religion."


"I knew this was a mistake. You're turning gay and fucking your business partner but you've got the nerve to criticize my choices?"


"I've known Kimber a little longer and a little better than you have. So has Christian. She's not stable. You're probably making the worst mistake of your life being with her."


"I don't agree. There's something else you should know. Conor's going to have a niece or nephew to play with who's just about a year younger than him."


"She's pregnant?"


"You catch on fast."


"This is a disaster, Matt. What about your future? What about college?"


"I can still go to college. Kimber's not exactly poor, it's not like there isn't enough money to pay my tuition."


"You have a college fund."


"Yeah, well, I wasn't sure you'd be offering that when you heard who I was married to, and that I didn't have any plans to walk out on her. I love Kimber, she's a really good person. And I'm looking forward to the baby. I'm a little nervous, but I want this kid."


"Matt, your college fund is yours as long as you go to college. I just wish you'd take a hard look at what you're doing."


"She wanted me to ask you and Uncle Chris about removing her breast implants. She wants to breast feed the baby."


"I'll run it by Christian, but I can't picture him wanting to touch her with a ten foot pole."


"Would you do it?"


"Something tells me she'd prefer Christian."


"It's not like that," Matt said, shaking his head. "She loves me, not Christian."


"You should really tell Christian about you and Kimber in person, yourself."


"I will." Matt was quiet a minute. "How do you just all of a sudden wake up one day and want to screw another guy? I couldn't even get it up for Cherry, and at least she was wearing lipstick and skirts."


"I don't know how to explain it. I've always felt very close to Christian, and there have been times that I thought about our relationship taking another turn. I think I've been attracted to him for a long time, but when that's not the route you usually go, denial is a pretty powerful thing. And then I met your mother, and fell in love with her... Christian was always going after every woman he could get, I was married and raising a family. There were a lot of reasons not to really take out the attraction and look at it and admit it or allow myself to think about it."


"What does Christian say about all this?"


"He told me he loved me, that he wanted me - - a life with me. That he'd been thinking about it for a while. It all happened pretty fast, after the accident. But I think it's been there under the surface for a long time."


"I just have trouble picturing it, you know? Not sure I really want to."


"Maybe you can start by just trying to accept it, and work your way up from there?" Sean suggested.


"So that's what really freaked Mom out?"


"It didn't help," Sean admitted. He checked his watch. "If you're still willing to give me a hand, I'd like to get this stuff out of here before Annie gets home from school. I don't want her to be upset with me moving out."


"Okay. I'll load this stuff."


Sean hastily packed as much of his clothing as he had boxes and suitcases for, laying some of it on top of the luggage in the van until almost nothing of his personal effects remained. Once the van was loaded, Matt went on his way, presumably back to Kimber and whatever it was Scientologists did with their time. The concept of having a grandchild on the way was going to take time to sink in. The concept of having Kimber for a daughter-in-law was nothing short of bizarre. Still, maybe there was some hope for Matt in finding a woman and settling down, raising a family, no matter how dysfunctional it might be.


Making his way down the freeway in the borrowed van, he couldn't help but think of the accident, and found himself hanging back a bit in traffic. On the way to the house, he'd told himself it was because he wasn't used to driving a van. Now, he realized it was a lingering unease after the accident. He was getting tired, and the thought of a dose of pain medication and a relaxing evening with Christian was definitely sounding good.


He stopped by the small storage unit he'd rented and stacked up quite a few of the cartons there, keeping in the van just the things he envisioned himself using regularly. After driving back to Christian's place, he parked the van near the building, and called his partner on his cell phone.


"Where are you?" Christian asked.


"I'm downstairs with the van."


"I'm still at the office. Just lock it up and leave it there. I'll unload it for you when I get home. I hope you didn't already overdo it today."


"No, it was no big deal. Matt stopped by the house and helped me, so I just had to unload some stuff at the storage place."


"Are we going to have room for all your stuff?"


"I think we'll be okay with what I've brought home with me."


"I like the sound of that."


"Me, too. What're you still doing at the office anyway?"


"My four o'clock hasn't shown up yet, and Michelle was insisting I wait. Apparently it's a total body makeover - - big bucks if it flies."


"Has she said anything about the buyout offer?"


"Not a word. She keeps telling me her lawyer will be in touch with our lawyer."


"It's almost five."


"I'm out of here at five. This is going to sound ridiculous, but I miss you."


"I miss you, too," Sean responded, smiling. "I love you."


"I love you, too. Go upstairs and relax for a while. I'll be home soon."


"Okay. Later," Sean concluded, breaking the connection.


********


It was almost five-thirty when Christian rose from his desk and headed for the door of his office. As he threw it open, he was startled to see Michelle on the other side of it, wearing a particularly seductive smile.


"Everyone else has gone home," she said. "Christian, you're not going to seriously tell me that you want to give me up for Sean, are you?" Her shoulders were back, and she was making the most of her cleavage.


"Don't do this," Christian said, more irritated to be held up on his way out the door than he was tempted by her obvious willingness to convince him to come back to her.


"Why not? Can't handle a little temptation? Don't tell me you're going to try to be faithful to Sean?"


"Michelle, it's over between us. If this is some kind of tactic to derail the buyout negotiations, it's not working."


"This is your last chance, Christian," she said, something ominous in her tone of voice. "You know we can be so good together," she added, stroking the lapels of his jacket.


"I'm done, Michelle. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going home."


"I gave up everything for you, and now you're just tossing me aside like one of your cheap one-night whores! You have no idea what I've been through for us to be together. Don't you leave me this way, Christian. You told me you loved me."


"I honestly thought I did. I'm sorry I hurt you. I never wanted to do that." Christian took a hold of her shoulders briefly. "I'll always care for you, Michelle, but I'm not in love with you."


"When did you realize that? While we were performing for Burt, or was it when you had sex with Sean?"


"What happened with Burt was terrible, but we need to move on. You're young, beautiful, richer than God - - you'll find someone else."


"You're making a mistake, Christian." She backed away, holding his gaze a moment longer before turning and walking down the hall toward her office. Shrugging off the encounter, Christian headed for the parking garage and was only too happy to slip behind the wheel of his Lambourghini and head for home.


********


When Christian walked into the condo, he was surprised to smell food cooking, and even more surprised to see Sean in the kitchen. His partner had struggled through learning a couple of Italian dishes, but was far from getting his own show on the Food Network anytime soon. Still, Sean was diligently working on a salad, and whatever he had in the oven smelled pretty good.


"Honey, I'm home!" Christian called out jokingly.


"It's about time. I just about gave up on you," Sean responded. "My cooking isn't that good anyway, so drying it out for another ten minutes in the oven wouldn't have been a good idea."


"What did you make?" Christian asked, joining Sean in the kitchen and stealing a piece of cucumber out of the salad bowl.


"Lasagna. Hopefully I've gotten better at it since I made it for Julia a while back. She was less than impressed. My noodles were tough."


"I'll buy that. Your noodle seems pretty tough," Christian teased, winding his arms around Sean from behind, letting his hand slide down to squeeze the bulge in Sean's pants. "You didn't take any pain meds, did you?"


"Just some ibuprofen, and that doesn't give me any problems," Sean said, groaning and leaning back against Christian.


"I suppose you've got your heart set on eating right now?"


"I've been on a soft diet for over two weeks, Christian."


"Fair enough. But don't plan on dessert," he said, kissing Sean's cheek before moving away from him. "Why don't you give me the keys and I'll unload the van?"


"It'll wait. Linda doesn't need it back until tomorrow, and something tells me I won't need much for clothes tonight anyway."


"Not if I have my way," Christian replied, flexing his eyebrows. "You given any thought to what you're going to get for a car?" Christian asked. "I haven't seen you buried in Consumer Reportslately."


"I was thinking about something along the lines of a bright yellow Ferrari," Sean quipped, pulling the lasagna out of the oven.


"Asshole," Christian retorted. "Maybe with the settlement money you can get a real car instead of that skateboard with an engine you were driving. You look pretty good in that rented Lexus I picked out for you."


"That skateboard kept me alive under a truck. I'll probably just get another Prius. Hard to beat that for durability."


"That Prius didn't hold up the truck. That was just some amazing luck. How about another Lexus? Or a Mercedes. You like those conservative cars."


"What, you're too good to ride around in a Prius? It's environmentally friendly and what do I need with anything fancier? I'm not going to live in it."


"Image, my friend. We need to look affluent."


"Yeah, and I know how rough that is on you," Sean replied, setting the lasagna on the table as Christian sat down.

 

"Snap. Cooking is making you bitchy, Sean." Christian grinned and was rewarded with a slight answering smile from Sean. "If we have to strike out on our own and start a new practice, we'll have to project the right upscale image. Even if we get the business back from Michelle, we're going to need to do more business - - and better business - - to turn a healthy profit after having to buy her out."


"I'm going to be going through another divorce," Sean said, serving himself from the lasagna dish after Christian had taken his. "Looking affluent isn't the best strategy."


"I thought you and Julia worked out a settlement the other day."


"We did, but when I show up in my new Lexus and we have the practice back and are going on with our lives, those kinds of agreements can fall apart pretty quickly."


"She signed off on it, didn't she?"


"She did, but judges can revisit those things."


"We have the pictures of your face. That trumps any of her whining about money."


"I don't want to use those unless she tries to take the kids out of the country. Annie still doesn't know the truth about what happened, and the last thing I want is for some scandal to break and her to have to deal with that at school. Kids are cruel enough without giving them that kind of ammunition."


"The important thing is that she thinks you'll use them."


"Hopefully that'll be enough."


"So you'll look at a decent car?"


"Okay, Christian, I will look at what you call a 'decent' car."


"Hey, this isn't bad. You're getting better."


"As long as I never have to make anything besides lasagna, we're all set. It's the only thing I've practiced," Sean admitted, chuckling.


"The only food, maybe. You've practiced a few other things that outdo your lasagna." Sean smiled at that, and Christian was surprised how pleased, and a bit embarrassed, he seemed to be with the praise. When Sean didn't say anything and went back to his food, Christian added, "That can't be the first compliment you ever got on your performance, pal."


"Let's just say that recent reviews have been mixed," Sean joked, but there was an undercurrent of sincerity in the response.


"I think I qualify as an expert witness on the subject," Christian added.


"No arguments there," Sean replied, laughing. The phone rang then, and Christian went to answer it.


"Sure, we'd be glad to have her here," Christian said, mouthing "Annie" when Sean looked at him, puzzled. "Why don't you drop her off, and we can just take her to school in the morning?" He paused. "Whatever works, Julia. It's no problem for us to take her on the way into the office." He waited again, then shrugged. "Okay. We'll plan on seeing you about 7:30 then," he concluded. After hanging up, he returned to the table. "Julia wondered if we could keep Annie overnight. I said it was okay- - I figured it would be."


"Fine, but what about Conor?"


"Julia wants to spend the evening with Marlowe, and I guess they want some privacy. He must be getting over his righteous indignation about her clocking you with the votive holder. Besides, she said Annie's been giving her a hard time about her relationship with Marlowe in general." Christian sighed. "She probably wants the coast clear to bang the dwarf."


"I suppose it's no worse for her to have sex with Marlowe while Annie's there than for us to have sex while she's with us. I mean, if we were in a place with doors where that was an option."


"She's going to have to get used to us together that way, Sean. We can't take a vow of abstinence every time she comes over or spends a night with us."


"We'll have to unless we do something different here with the bedroom set up, or get another place. I don't think she's ready to walk in and watch us having sex at her age."


"I hate to break this to you, Sean, but she's probably seen plenty of it in movies and on TV."


"That's different, and she's not allowed to go to R-rated movies for a reason." Sean paused. "I don't expect to keep her innocent forever, but I don't want her exposed to something she's not ready to deal with, and watching other people have sex live and in person is beyond what I want my twelve-year-old exposed to."


"Okay. I wasn't really suggesting we screw all night. I was just hoping to screw a little, if I promise to be quiet."


"We won't be quiet, and we don't know the meaning of 'a little.'"


"I can't help it if you bring out the animal in me," Christian teased, scooting closer and blowing warm air in Sean's ear. "We've got an hour before she gets here."


"Lasagna reheats well," Sean said, turning to accept the waiting kisses, enjoying the sensations again now that his face was mostly healed. It was still sensitive, but Christian's lips moving over his lips and cheek felt nothing but good.


"You wanna move into the bedroom?" Christian asked.


"Why?" Sean stood and unzipped his pants, pushing them and his boxers down in one swift move, toeing off his shoes and kicking the whole pile aside with surprising speed. "You're overdressed."


Shaking off his surprise, Christian stood and stripped off his pants and underwear, then his shirt as Sean was already tossing that garment at the growing pile of clothes. By unspoken agreement, Christian sat in his chair again and Sean straddled him, their erections rubbing together, creating an intense friction. Christian stifled a moan against Sean's chest, his mouth finding and sucking on a hardening nipple. Sean groaned, his body moving as if he were trying to fit more of his flesh into Christian's mouth. Christian sucked harder, then moved to the other nipple, sucking it while he rolled and pinched the wet nipple with his fingers.


"Oh, shit," Sean gasped, thrusting against Christian even faster.


"I didn't know you were a tit man, Sean," Christian teased.


"Shut up and suck 'em, damn it," Sean retorted. "Oh, God." Not moving back enough to dislodge Christian's attentions to his nipples, Sean got a hold of the plate with the stick of butter on it. Moving back a little, interrupting Christian, he greased his hands and began stroking the butter up and down the length of Christian's cock.


"Let me put some in you," Christian said, but Sean shook his head.


"You're greasy enough for both of us." He got up and turned around, lowering himself onto Christian's cock, moaning as he was stretched open and filled.


"Shit, you're tight," Christian managed, still amazed at the tight heat around his cock that he couldn't remember feeling plunged deep inside a woman.


"You're huge," Sean retorted, his voice strained. "My throat'll be sore in the morning," he added, and Christian laughed, shaking them both.


The motion wasn't altogether unpleasant, and Sean started moving up and down carefully on the rigid cock inside him. Christian joined in the motion until they achieved a shared rhythm. The butter was melting in the heat of their bodies, the greasiness fading and more skin-on-skin friction burning them up. Some part of Christian's brain told him to stop, that he was barebacking Sean...but he couldn't care. He was too far gone and the sex felt too good. Watching his cock move in and out between Sean's cheeks, hearing his strained little groans, Christian was riding the tide until he felt his orgasm sweeping over him, stroking Sean's cock firmly and angling his strokes so Sean was crying out with each thrust, his prostate getting a workout until Christian came, yelling, grunting, giving in to every base instinct to express himself. Sean's body was sharing the spasms of climax, shaking and gasping, his come covering Christian's pumping hand.


When it was over, they sat there and just breathed, letting their bodies cool. Christian wrapped his arms around Sean, resting his cheek against Sean's back.


"I love you," he said.


"I love you, too," Sean responded, sighing. He rose a little, groaning as Christian's cock slid free of his body. He turned around and straddled Christian's lap so they were face to face again.


"Are you okay?" Christian asked, smiling as Sean ignored the question and kissed him on the mouth, sticking his tongue inside, keeping Christian from talking for many long minutes. "I didn't wear a rubber."


"I know. I don't care." Sean ran his hands through Christian's hair. "What would I want with life if you weren't here? I know that's probably the wrong way to feel, but if you have anything that could kill you, it can kill me, too."


"You survived a truck landing on you, so you're on a lucky streak," Christian added, and Sean smiled.


"You can say that again," Sean replied, looking at Christian with so much love that it almost took his breath away. "I hope you always want me like you want me now."


"No, not like now. I want you more every day." They kissed again, losing themselves in the sensations until Sean caught sight of the clock. "It's almost seven. Shower?"


"Yeah, sounds good."


They went hand in hand to the shower, started up the water, and took their time soaping each other up, not really wanting to start things up again so close to when Annie was due to arrive. They were sated and content to enjoy the intimacy of washing each other, though Sean detected a bit of an informal physical going on when Christian's soapy fingers went between his cheeks to probe him.


"I'm okay," he said, loving that Christian was that worried about him.


"I'd rather cut off my dick than hurt you like that." The depth of Christian's emotion that made his voice husky touched Sean's heart.


"You wouldn't hurt me. You didn't." They ended their shower with a long, soapy embrace of slick skin on skin, kissing and feeling each other up, but backing off before they started something they wouldn't have time to finish.


********


When Julia arrived with Annie, Sean was putting leftovers in the refrigerator and Christian was putting the dinner dishes in the dishwasher. Sean answered the door, and Julia did her best to keep up a friendly front as Annie hugged her father and then went to the kitchen to greet Christian.


"Thanks for letting her stay tonight."


"I love having Annie with me. It's no problem," Sean responded. "You and Marlowe have big plans?"


"We're going to have a quiet dinner at the house and just talk. We've got some things to figure out, and we need some privacy."


"Do you want us to take Annie to school in the morning? I heard Christian mention it - - "


"I have an appointment tomorrow anyway, so I can swing by and pick her up. I'm taking the car in."


"What's wrong with it?" Sean asked, concerned.


"I don't think it's anything major, but it might be something electrical. The clock is messed up and there are a couple of other sensor lights coming on. Matt said it was probably just the sensors going bad and suggested I go have them hook it up to the computer at the shop."


"It's running all right, though? If not, you can take my rental car and I'll take the car in for you tomorrow."


"I'm fine, Sean, but thanks. Annie?" Julia called, and Annie and Christian appeared from the kitchen. "I'll be back to get you in time for school, so be ready."


"Okay, Mom."


"Have a good night, you guys," Julia said, managing a smile that looked a bit forced as she took her leave.


After Annie finished her homework with Sean and Christian sitting at the table with her, reading a backlog of medical journals, the group moved to the living room and sat down to watch the new flat screen TV Christian had delivered after the first one met with disaster. Sean slipped into the bedroom and returned with a small bag from an area music store, handing it to Annie.


"Oh my gosh, it's the new Hannah Montana concert! Oh, thank you, Daddy!" She hugged Sean enthusiastically, vibrating with excitement over her gift. "Is this for my birthday?" Annie asked, since her birthday was a few days away.


"It was, but I couldn't wait," Sean confessed.


"You never do," she replied, laughing. Sean had to smile at her very true assessment of his tendency to let her have presents early, especially the ones he knew she was overly eager to get. "Can we watch it?"


"If it's okay with Uncle Christian," Sean replied, and Christian shot him a look, which he erased from his features before Annie turned to look at him.


"Sure. I'll make popcorn," he added, smiling. He extended his genuine smile to Sean this time.


The three of them watched the concert, and then a sitcom or two to calm Annie's excitement before bedtime. Sean made a bed on the couch for his daughter, and once she was settled, the two men went into the bedroom to spend the rest of their evening and night.


"So, you want to go shopping again for Annie's birthday after work tomorrow?" Christian teased, and Sean smiled.


"Can't leave her with nothing to open on the big day." Sean finished undressing and slipped into a t-shirt and pajama bottoms. Christian sighed a little regretfully and put on a pair of black silk pajamas. If they were going to share a bed with Annie there, it had to look platonic, at least for the time being until they sat down with her and explained the change in their relationship.


"I thought we were going to have the talk with her the next time she was alone with us," Christian said, getting into bed, his tone neutral.


"This was unplanned, so I didn't want to drop the bomb and spring it on Julia to deal with. Annie's going to be with us for the weekend after next, and I told Julia we were going to have the talk with her then."


"Okay. Do I at least get a goodnight kiss?" Christian asked, flashing Sean his best flirtatious smile.


"We can risk that," Sean agreed, and the two of them moved into each other's arms and one goodnight kiss turned into another, and then another. "We better cool it," Sean finally said, pulling back. "Or I won't stop."


"You hear any complaints?" Christian stole another prolonged kiss before giving up as Sean pulled back again. "You really think it would burn her eyes out to see the two of us making love, assuming she didn't sleep through it?"


"After we talk with her about it, we can expect her to respect the boundaries of privacy she was expected to with Julia and me. Not that there was usually much reason to worry about it. But the kids were always told to knock on the bedroom door if it was closed. The layout here makes it a little trickier."


"We'll get another place when things settle down a little. You want a house or a condo?" Christian asked, snuggling up to Sean and keeping him close. "She's seen me hug you a million times," he argued, and Sean's body relaxed in his arms.


"I guess you're right," he agreed. "Maybe a bigger condo, with a spare room for when the kids visit."


"Maybe two. As Conor gets older, Annie should have her own room if she's staying with us."


"Okay. We could always use one of the rooms as a guest room when the kids weren't here."


"Who would we have come and stay? The kids are the only family we have."


"I'd like a nice view of the ocean, like this place."


"Me, too." Christian kissed Sean's temple. "I don't much care what it has as long as you're in it with me."


"Same here," Sean said, smiling. "What are we going to do about Kimber's implants?"


"Where the hell did that come from?" Christian asked.


"We need to decide. If she's going to have them out, we should let her know if we'll do it."


"I'm not touching that toxic bitch."


"She's Matt's wife now. God, she's our dau- - "


"Don't say it."


"Well, she is," Sean argued.


"That's a sick joke of the legal system surrounding marriage."


"Why don't you do it and I'll assist? Then she can't claim any funny business."


"You want to get involved with her that way?"


"No, but I don't want to lose Matt, and if we reject his wife, no matter how stupid a choice he's made, we're drawing battle lines."


"If you want to do it, I'll do it," Christian said, sighing. "I can't refuse you anything."


"We'll explore that further tomorrow night," Sean quipped, settling against Christian and letting himself doze. "I love you."


"I love you, too," Christian responded, a smile in his voice.


********


On to Part 2