Citizens Against Bad Slash
   
Starting points:
who we are
recent updates
anonymity
news and views
home

Reviews:
Buffy
Highlander
Oz
Star Wars: TPM
X-Files
RPS
those 70's shows
Our recs

Writing:
Fanfic faux pas
Interviews
Tips, tricks and suggestions

Rants:
Slash-related editorials
Top 10 lists
Guest rants

Interactive:
The beta board
Discussion board
Contribute
Promote the cause
Letters to CABS
Sign the guestbook
View the guestbook
Contact

Other stuff:
Links
corrections, clarifications and general f*ck ups
Our birthday

__________


Click to subscribe to the updates list




Sexy pregnant men?

What the hell is going on here? It's like someone has watched Junior starring Arnold Schwartzenegger too many times.

I don't care how many times you try to tell me that pregnancy fic is cool. I don't care what logical explanation there is for why it exists, or what merits you tell me there are to writing it. Pregnancy fic is a strange and slightly twisted hobby no matter which way you slice it.

For those of you who don't know, pregnancy fic is still slash, although one of the male characters, for whatever reason, gets pregnant. Sometimes they get pregnant through some supernatural phenomenon. Sometimes they get pregnant because of some new technology. Sometimes there's no explanation at all. Men just get pregnant.

Who thought of this idea? And who was it that said "Yeah, good idea!" And who was it that joined the two and decided to start writing it as well? And what the hell were they thinking? I can see an X-Files story, where weird shit happens anyway, and perhaps aliens have landed and implanted a fetus in Mulder, who happens to be schtupping Skinner, and they decide to, *sigh*, keep the baby. But with some of the fic at the Male Pregnancy Emporium, which sparked this rant, has to be seen to be believed. Check out Kiba and Oz's Miami Vice pregnancy fic, Socks, Booties and the Pooh Effect. And the story is two "books" and 11 parts long. The summary: "After marriage life for Sonny and Rico changes with an unexpected, but blessed miracle happens."

Why?

Even if it's tongue in cheek, and even if it's intended to be parody, it's still just so out there that I can't grasp it.

- Jane