BBS review: "All I Ever Wanted" by Jherusalem
story URL - http://jherusalem.com/nsync/aiew/index.html
as reviewed by Nancy Spungeon (sidandnancy@antisocial.com)


In every fandom there are a few stories that everyone knows about, and 'N Sync slash is no exception. The pairing of the hour seems to be JC/Lance, but one of the most popular stories in this fandom features the equally popular yet not-smiled-upon-as-much 'lamblove' pairing: that's right, Lance and Justin.

When I visited the site at an earlier date, "All I Ever Wanted" was described as "a work of almost epic proportions" by the author herself. Hmph. "Epic" is right - there are 255 installments total to this monster, though this story could have ended in thirty chapters or less.

"All I Ever Wanted" is a hook-up story, where Lance and Justin end up realizing they're soulmates and all the chaos that you can imagine ensues. Hearts are broken, there are fist fights, homophobia, sex in public places, you name it. After about forty chapters, all of those resources seem to run dry, so many of the chapters become PWP and don't help out the plot of this story at all, but around chapter 76 she throws in a well waited-for plot twist that thankfully breathes life back into this story.

There's tons and tons of sexual tension in this story, and between nearly every character, but Jherusalem has a tendency to take her time getting to the real "meat" of the plots in this one. She opts for rushed love scenes in showers and on back porches instead of letting Justin and Lance's mother confront each other sooner, and though this story is probably one of the best reads I've had in this fandom, her beating around the bush so much makes for just a really fatty story. I won't lie - I cried at the end. But I think that was more out of relief than anything else. I really felt like I had accomplished something by wrestling with this monster of a story, and I've got the battle scars to prove it. Also, the interaction is very sugary between Lance and Justin. There's sex in about 70% of the chapters, along with utterances of "baby boy" from Lance and Justin pouting every time Lance isn't as yielding as he would like him to be.

I think I might have harped on the bad points of this story a bit, but overall I'd say that this was an excellent read. Though the author had a tendency to stray from the plot sometimes (well, a lot) I would read chapter after chapter of filler just to get to the parts that got this story moving. I wouldn't recommend this story if you're looking for something a little more engaging, but if you've got lots of free time on your hands, feel free to dive right into "All I Ever Wanted."


CABS grade: 6.5/10