Disclaimers: The boys are not mine. <sigh>

Notes: Okay, this morning, I woke up to the haunting strains of this song. And then, for some reason, it kept playing over and over during breakfast. I accused my roommate of putting it on repeat. He denied doing it, but it was on repeat, and I certainly didn't touch the stereo. Maybe the cat did it. Yes, blame it on the cat.


Uninvited

by Winds-of-Dawn


Like anyone would be
I am flattered by your fascination with me
Like any hotblooded woman
I have simply wanted an object to crave

But you you're not allowed
You're uninvited
An unfortunate slight

Must be strangely exciting
To watch the stoic squirm
Must be somewhat heartening
To watch shepherd meet shepherd

But you you're not allowed
You're uninvited
An unfortunate slight

Like any uncharted territory
I must seem greatly intriguing
You speak of my love like
You have experienced love like mine before

But this is not allowed
You're uninvited
An unfortunate slight

I don't think you unworthy
I need a moment to deliberate


"What is this song?"

"Haunting, isn't it?"

"Haunting?" Jim screwed his face. "It's downright depressing. What are these lyrics saying, anyway?"

"...you're not invited, an unfortunate slight..."

"Blair?"

"...you're an uncharted territory, you seem greatly intriguing... i never experienced love like yours before..."

"Blair."

"...you think me unworthy, i'm not invited, i'm an unfortunate slight..."

"Blair! Come on, that's not what the song says. Come on, Chief, what's gotten into you?"

"Reverse side of the coin, Jim," Blair looked straight into Jim's eyes. "You were flattered by my fascination with you, weren't you?"

"Oh, come on, Chief, you were never uninvited."

Blair smiled sadly. "How close did you come to walking out of my office and never coming back?" he asked.

Jim swallowed convulsively. "I would have come back. I couldn't have stayed away from you. Not ever."

"Really?" Blair shook his head. "I'd like to believe that, I really would. But sometimes, I just..."

"Come on, Blair, nobody is as worthy as you. If anything, I'm the one who's unworthy."

"So you say, now. But I just feel like there was this edge, this fine razor-thin line, and we just managed to land on the right side of it."

"Blair..."

"Don't tell me you never feel that way. I know you do."

"Blair."

"Don't tell me you never felt slighted, never felt uninvited, never craved something that was not allowed."

"But I have you, Blair. I have you."

"But what if we didn't?" Blair challenged.

Jim scowled. "What's the point of talking about something that didn't happen?" he demanded.

"That it could have happened. That I..." Blair broke off abruptly. "Come on, Jim," he coaxed, "Don't tell me you never think about it."

"Okay, maybe I do," Jim conceded. "But I still say, Chief, what's the point?"

Blair sighed. "Nothing. It just haunts me. The... the way things could have been. The way they could have turned out. Just like this song."

Moving over to the stereo, Jim hit the buttons to replay the song.

...Like anyone would be
I am flattered by your fascination with me
Like any hotblooded woman
I have simply wanted an object to crave

But you you're not allowed
You're uninvited
An unfortunate slight...

"It is a haunting song, Chief."

"Yeah, isn't it?"

Lyrics from "Uninvited" by Alanis Morissette

PWP & Snippets Index