Related Episode: Remembrance

Well, I tried really hard to find somebody to narrate this story. I asked Mr. Ellison, Sr. He politely declined. I asked Jim. He glared at me and stalked out of the room. I asked Blair. He wrinkled his cute nose in distaste and said, "No fucking way, man!" I searched for my alter ego, the third person omniscient narrator. She appears to be out of town. So I sighed and called out my trusty camera crew.

A lot of the lines in this story are straight out of the handy transcripts from Becky's Episodes Transcripts Page. These lines were originally written by screen writers Joseph Johnson and Tom Fudge. Thanks guys, for a great episode, and hope you don't mind my playing around with it.

No animals or spirit guides were harmed in the filming of this episode.


Remembrance

by Winds-of-Dawn


~Benefit from HIS BROTHER'S KEEPER. Cameras flash as photographers take pictures. Resolve to a newspaper photo showing Jim and Blair, arms around each other. Headline reads "Detective Honored as Officer of the Year." Caption under picture reads "Detective James Ellison and his partner, Blair Sandburg." Camera pans to show William Ellison, sitting in his living room and contemplating the picture.~

[We start today's program by dropping in on Jim, alone in the loft, staring out the windows, contemplating the startling discovery that as a child, he had discovered a murdered body, the victim of a vicious serial killer known as the "Country Club Strangler." Now another body has been found, the victim killed with the same MO as the Country Club Strangler. Is it a copycat? Or has the real killer eluded justice and come back to strike again? Do Jim's repressed memories hold the keys to the case?]

~Loft. Night. Raining outside. Fire going in fireplace. Jim is standing by the windows, a football in his hand. Blair comes in.~

Blair: Nice. (poses as if getting ready to catch football) Want me to go long? (chuckles)

(Jim turns away and Blair shuts the door.)

Blair: What's going on?

Jim: Nothing's going on. Why?

Blair: I just, uh, sort of feel like I'm interrupting a romantic interlude here between you and your football. (chuckles)

Jim: Come on, Shecky, you're killing me.

Blair: You okay?

Jim: Yeah, I'm fine. Why?

Blair: Oh, I don't know. Uh... things might be bothering you. I don't know. Maybe this "Country Club Strangler" thing... It's got to be bringing some stuff up, huh?

Jim: Yeah, it's bringing up some stuff, but... it's nothing I can't handle. (sits down on couch)

Blair: Yeah, right, of course. I'm sorry. You can handle it. (chuckles) So, you want me to leave you two alone?

Jim: Come on, man.

Blair: Jim, it's me, all right? (sits down on couch next to Jim) Come on, man, let me help.

Jim: I've been trying to help myself, man. I've been trying to figure this out. It's like some cruel joke and I'm the punch line. I'm a cop, I was working on a case that involves me and I can't remember a thing from my past.

Blair: Quit beating yourself up. You were a kid. You had something terrible happen, and I'm sure the trauma of that experience has shut everything off -- your senses, your memory -- everything. Sorta like what happened when you came out of Peru.

Jim: So, how do I get unstuck?

Blair: First of all, you relax.

Jim: I just keep going around in circles, Chief.

Blair: (clasps Jim's hand) What I'm talking about is sense memory. All right? The sense of smell. Focus in on that smell and then see where that leads you.

~Flashback. Jim practicing football with Bud. He hears Steven coming to get him and smells what Sally is making for dinner. Bud tells Jim to trust his instincts.~

~Cut to back to Jim and Blair in loft.~

Jim: That's it. I'm pretty tapped out. (lets go of Blair and stands up and walks to windows)

Blair: Who's Bud? You kept mentioning a man named Bud.

Jim: Bud was a man who lived down the street. A businessman like my father. He was a friend, you know? Kind of like my mentor.

Blair: You got a picture of him?

Jim: No. I wouldn't have anything like that around here.

Blair: What about at your old man's place?

Jim: I don't want to deal with my old man.

Blair: Come on, you don't want to hear this, but your father may know some things that could help you.

Jim: You know, you're right. I don't want to hear this. (throws football at Blair)

Blair: Jim, he's your father.

Jim: What do you want me to say, Chief?

Blair: He may not have been the best parent, but he stuck around didn't he? He took care of you and Steven. That counts for something, doesn't it?

Jim: Yeah. We had everything money can buy.

Blair: You care for him, Jim.

Jim: Since when do you dictate how I feel?

Blair: (reaches out to touch Jim) If you didn't you wouldn't hurt so much.

(Jim pulls Blair to him and kisses him desperately, almost roughly.)

~Cut to Jim and Blair in bed. Blair is asleep, while Jim lies next to him staring up at the ceiling. Still raining outside. Some lightning flashes as well. He is remembering.~

~Flashback. Jim playing with Steven outside their house. Jim overhears his dad arguing with their mother because she doesn't want to take the boys while William is away on business.~

~Cut to Jim back on his bed. He curls up around Blair and buries his head in Blair's neck.~

[Next day. Another body is found. Simon glares. Reporters clamor. Jim growls. Blair stands his ground. Jim gives in and goes to visit his Dad. Later, he gets close to the killer and they grapple around in a train yard. Why train yard? Beats me.]

~Loft. Night. Jim at the table. Blair gets a bag of frozen peas from the freezer and brings it over to Jim.~

Blair: Here. This should help.

Jim: Thanks. (puts bag on shoulder)

Blair: You're lucky that guy didn't kill you.

Jim: He didn't want to kill me. He just wants to play out this game... whatever the hell that is.

Blair: Any word from forensics on the knife?

Jim: Yeah. They determined the scent on the handle. It's made from this bark from this small tree only found in Spain.

Blair: No wonder the only other time you smelled it was at the crime scene when you found Bud.

Jim: Yeah. You know, when you said the victim that I found was Karl Heydash... I should have known that's who it was -- Bud.

Blair: I think you're being a little hard on yourself, Jim. This guy was like a father figure to you and the shock of finding him? No wonder you repressed it.

Jim: (stands and goes to fridge) Yeah. I'm wondering what the hell else I'm repressing. (gets a can from the fridge) You know... that guy at the railroad track said something about having a score to settle with me. You know, like... like we knew each other.

~Flashback. Jim's team winning the game, with Jim making the winning play when he tackles Aaron, preventing him from making touchdown. Later, as the children are leaving the field, Aaron takes Jim's football and kicks it into the woods.~

~Cut to present. Jim and Blair in bed.~

Blair: So how did it go with your dad?

Jim: Okay.

Blair: Okay?

Jim: I keep on remembering stuff... Things I haven't thought about in years. Things I didn't want to think about.

Blair: Jim...

Jim: Our mom... she didn't want us. Dad would try to get her to take us when he had to leave for long business trips, and she never agreed to it. Last time I saw her was some Christmas... My grandmother, my mom's mom, was still alive, I guess she wanted to see us, so my dad dropped us off at her place for Christmas dinner, and Mom was there. She pretended to be glad to see us, but I could tell she was just pretending... I used to wonder what was wrong with me that my mom didn't love me.

Blair: Oh, god.

Jim: You are right, Chief. At least Dad tried to take care of us. He, he had a twisted way of doing it, but still... (notices that Blair is crying) Blair. (wipes Blair's tears with a finger)

Blair: Bet your father told you that men don't cry.

Jim: You'd be right.

Blair: I can't ever remember seeing you cry.

Jim: Bet Naomi never told you men don't cry.

Blair: (shakes head) She said crying cleanses the soul.

Jim: What about burning sage?

Blair: (chuckles) That, too.

(Jim kisses Blair, and pushes him down onto the bed. Blair puts his arms around Jim, pulling him closer.)

[Next day. A picture of the original Country Club Strangler is found. Jim remembers seeing him when he found Bud's body. He goes back to his Dad's looking for clues to the killer's identity. Dad reveals he knew about Jim's senses when Jim was a kid. Jim leaves. Aaron kidnaps Dad. Jim goes after Aaron. Great chase scene. Luv RB running across football field. See the TV episode! <g>]

~Athletic field. After Aaron has been arrested.~

(Jim has his arm around William's shoulder as they walk off the field toward the cars. Blair and Simon are somewhat behind them, following. Blair puts his arm up around Simon's shoulders.)

Blair: Isn't that beautiful?

Simon: What do you think you're doing? Get off me. (shrugs Blair's arm off)

Blair: Come on, a little brotherly love.

Simon: Do I look like your brother?

Blair: From a different mother.

Simon: Don't you start with me, Sandburg. I'm telling you right now...

(Blair puts his arm up around Simon's shoulders again.)

Blair: Come on.

Simon: Go! (pushes him away again)

(The group reaches the cars. An officer with a first aid kit approaches them and leads William off to the side and starts treating his wounds. Jim stands out of the way, where Blair and Simon join him.)

Simon: All's well that ends well, huh, Jim?

Jim: You can say that again.

Simon: I left a couple of officers at your house to stay with the housekeeper. We also need forensics to go over the place just in case this goes to trial. Plus, we are going to need a statement from your dad.

Jim: I could take it, if he's up to it. If not, I can bring him to the station tomorrow.

Simon: Fine. Do whatever he feels comfortable with. Take the rest of the day off. The reports can wait 'til tomorrow. (walks over to William, who has finished being treated) Mr. Ellison. Simon Banks, I'm Jim's Captain. (shakes his hand) I hope you are not hurt badly?

William: No, the guy just punched me a few.

Simon: Well, I'm very glad to see you safe. Let me just say, Jim's one of the best officers I've had the honor of working with. I wish we were meeting under better circumstances.

William: Why, thank you. Considering things could have been worse... (he shrugs)

Simon: Well, I see no need to keep you, so I'll let Jim take you home. There's some details to be cleared up, which Jim will explain. Jim, I'll leave you to it. Now, If you will excuse me. (pause) Blair?

Jim: Chief, you are with me.

Blair: See you later, Simon. (Simon nods and walks off)

Jim: (to William) Shall we?

~Cut to the Ellison house, sometime later. The forensic team is leaving. Blair and Sally are chatting in the kitchen. William is watching as Jim closes the front door after the last officer.~

Jim: Long day, huh, Dad?

William: Yeah.

(They walk toward the kitchen.)

Jim: (grimaces) Hey, Chief. Stop milking Sally for my baby stories.

Blair: Hey, it's only fair. You got all my baby stories from Naomi.

Sally: Will you two stay for dinner?

Blair: Oh, no. You've had a fright, you're exhausted, the last thing you should be doing is worrying about our dinner.

Jim: Blair's right, Sally. Take it easy. Call it a day.

William: Yes, Sally. Don't worry about me. I'll put something together, or call for takeout.

Sally: Well, if you are sure...

William: I'm sure. Go, get some rest.

Sally: Well, then, good night. Jimmy, it's so good to see you.

Jim: Same here, Sally. Good night.

(Sally leaves. The three men watch her go. William collapses onto the sofa.)

Blair: Mr. Ellison.

William: I'm all right. It's catching up to me, I guess.

Blair: Are you hungry? You should eat something, if you can.

William: You're probably right. (pause) By the way, we haven't been properly introduced yet.

Jim: Chief. (extends hand to Blair)

(Blair hesitates, then goes to stand by Jim, who takes his hand.)

Jim: Dad, this is my partner, Blair Sandburg.

William: Nice to meet you. (shakes Blair's hand) I, I saw your picture in the paper. (Blair looks puzzled) When Jimmy got the Officer of the Year award?

Blair: Oh, that. Oh, yeah. That... Um, Steven was there.

William: Yes. He mentioned it. He... he didn't say anything about you, though.

Jim: Well, Blair's not easy to describe.

William: (chuckles uneasily) I dare say. Are you a detective, too?

Blair: Uh, I'm not a police officer. I'm an anthropologist.

William: Anthropologist?

Blair: Yes. I'm studying for my doctorate at Rainier.

William: Oh, well. How did you meet Jim?

Blair: Um...

Jim: He knows about my senses, Chief.

Blair: Oh, what? You told him?

Jim: No, he knew.

Blair: He knew? How?

Jim: He knew about them from when I was a child.

Blair: (looks back and forth at the two Ellisons) How come I haven't heard this before?

Jim: I only found out today, when I came here earlier.

Blair: Another memory?

Jim: Yes... No, not exactly.

Blair: What happened?

Jim: I remembered, when I found Bud's body, I saw his killer running away. When I told the police, they didn't believe me, because it was too far away. They thought I was lying, or imagining things.

Blair: God, Jim.

Jim: So I started telling Dad that I wasn't lying, that I was telling the truth, and he...

William: Jimmy, I'm sorry. I told you, I didn't want people to think you were a freak.

Blair: (to William) You knew he was telling the truth, and you told him to... what did you tell him?

William: I told him to stop imagining things. I told him to stop telling nonsense. I'm sorry. I was wrong, I realize that now. But-but I was so afraid that people would find out he was different. I-I was afraid they wouldn't understand.

Blair: You told him he was a freak, didn't you? You said that to his face! You told him he should be "normal" like everyone else! Oh, god! That's why... I... I need some air. (walks out)

(Uneasy pause.)

William: He, he's angry with me, isn't he?

Jim: Well, he's only been trying to undo the damage for the last three years.

William: Is that why? Because he helps you with your... senses?

Jim: That's how we met, yes. Because I was convinced I was going crazy when these senses started going haywire on me, and he was the only one who had any idea what was going on with me. But since then... he's been the most loyal friend I ever had, the most dependable and trustworthy partner I've worked with, he, he loves me like nobody else ever did.

William: Love?

Jim: Yes, love, Dad.

William: Jimmy, I...

Jim: (hears something) Dad, I've got to go. I'll come by tomorrow to take you to the station. Unless you want me to send somebody else...?

William: No, I'll see you tomorrow.

Jim: Take care of yourself. Eat something. (leaves)

~Cut to front lawn of Ellison house. Blair is kneeling on the grass, retching. Jim walks up to him and crouches down behind him.~

Jim: Chief. (Blair continues to retch, though nothing comes out) Chief, come on, don't do this to yourself. (takes out handkerchief and wipes Blair's mouth) Come on. (coaxes Blair to sit up and shift away from the mess)

Blair: What did he do? What did I do?

Jim: (gathers Blair into his arms) All you ever did was help me, Chief.

Blair: No, I hurt you. I didn't know, and I hurt you. All those times you told me you wanted to be "normal" and I didn't pay attention. I kept pushing you to accept who you are. I didn't know, Jim, I didn't know.

Jim: Well, you were right, Chief. You did what was necessary to make me heal. To, to let me be at peace with myself. Let it go, Chief, it's all right now. Ever since this case began, you've been absorbing my pain and holding it in. Let it go. Yell. Scream. Break something. Don't, don't make yourself sick.

Blair: I wanted to hit your dad.

Jim: That makes two of us, Chief.

Blair: We are a pair. (chuckles weakly) Can we, like, blow up the Cascade Towers?

Jim: How about the bridge?

Blair: No, I know, let's blow up an oil rig.

Jim: We could always seize the police station.

Blair: And dangle from a helicopter.

Jim: Jump off a cliff.

Blair: (laughing) You know, let's go home. Can we go home?

Jim: Sure, Chief.

(They get up and walk toward Jim's truck, arm in arm. From a window, William watches them go.)

~Fadeout.~


Peru Universe