If You Love Something

by Winds-of-Dawn


Somebody sent me the following paragraph...
Originally, the punch line had something to do with marriage and / or children...

If you love something, set it free. If it comes back, it will always be yours. If it doesn't come back, it was never yours to begin with. But, if it just sits in your living room, messes up your stuff, eats your food, uses your telephone, takes your money, and doesn't appear to realize that you had set it free...


"Uh, Chief?"

"hmmm?"

"Don't you, you know, have anywhere to go?"

"Like what?"

"I don't know. Anywhere other than sitting in the living room, munching on that "whatcha-ma-call-it" health food snack, littering the place with books and papers, and mumbling continuously under your breath?"

"Sorry, Jim, am I bothering you?"

"No, you are not bothering me, Sandburg. I just wondered, don't you have anything better to do?"

"Why? Why should there be something better than this? Am I missing something?"

"I... I don't know. Maybe you could, like go out. Grab yourself one of those pretty co-eds with legs up to here..."

"Jim, if you don't want me around, just say so, and I'm gone, man."

"No! I mean, it's not that I don't want you around, it's just that..."

"Man, Jim, what is the matter?"

"Nothing, Chief."

"Doesn't look like nothing from here."

"It's nothing, Chief, ok? Just forget it."

"Running away again, Ellison?"

"Chief..."

"You better say what you mean, or I am so out of here."

"Chief, please..."

"Please what, Jim? Please go? Please stay? Please get out of your face?"

"...don't go."

"I wasn't going anywhere until you started this bullshit, Jim. Now why did you start this?"

"I just wondered, is all."

"Wondered what?"

"Why you were here."

"Why would you want me to be here?"

"I..."

"Jim..."

"I want you here."

"I'm here already."

"I know."

"I'm not going anywhere."

"I know."

"Do you?"

"Yeah, Chief, I do."

"Do you, really?"

"Chief?"

"Yeah?"

"Will you stay?"

"Sure, Jim."

"How long?"

"How long do you want?"

"Fucking forever, Blair."

"Yeah, I can do that."


If you love something, set it free. If it comes back, it will always be yours. If it doesn't come back, it was never yours to begin with. But, if it just sits in your living room, messes up your stuff, eats your food, uses your telephone, takes your money, and doesn't appear to realize that you had set it free...

...maybe it loves you back.


PWP & Snippets Index