Waiting Here
By Alexandria Brown

Chapters 11 - 14



Part 11 ~ Part 12 ~ Part 13 ~ Part 14 ~ Bottom



Part Eleven

Spike paced back and forth, checking the clock for the hundredth time in the last fifteen minutes. He had cleaned the apartment, done the dishes, worked out for about three hours until even that got boring, put away the laundry, cleaned both bathrooms – again, put away the movies, sorted the cds alphabetically by artist and chronologically for each artist and rearranged the books. He had managed to stop himself when he realized he was standing in the center of the living room trying to decide how to move the couch to achieve maximum flow. **That’s it, no more HGTV, mate. Next thing you know you’ll be making curtains.**

He had taken to pacing and smoking but even that was not helping. He looked at the clock again and sighed. Ten minutes until Xander was due back. He hated that Xander still worked, that he hadn’t been able to convince him to quit and just be with him. It wasn’t as if Xander needed the money, Spike was only too happy to give Xander everything that was his. But his lover had just shook his head at that , said “Sorry, I actually like this job, makes me feel like there’s something out there I do well.” Xander had managed to cut Spike’s response short. “And don’t even start – I mean, besides that.” So now, instead of being with Spike on their anniversary, Xander was at bloody work.

Their anniversary. One month today. One month since Xander said he loved him. Spike closed his eyes, savoring the memory of that night. He had spent so much time just wishing to hear it that, every time the words came from his lover’s mouth, he felt his dead heart twist, just a little. Even now, when the words came easily and often, they still resonated in the air.

Spike turned to kitchen counter, settling onto one of the stools and staring at the small, dark box with a deep forest green ribbon sitting there. He hoped his Xander would like his present. It was perhaps a trifle extravagant, but Xander rarely let Spike do anything for him, wouldn’t allow Spike to heap the treasures upon him that he deserved. Spike had been at a loss for what to get until they had driven by the dealership a few days before. They were on their way to the grocery store when Xander had looked out the window.

“Hey, that’s nice.”

Spike shot a quick glance over. A dark green Jeep Grand Cherokee was sitting near the road, a small spotlight shining on it.

“Fancy something with a bit more flash, myself.” His eyes had suddenly narrowed and a wicked grin curved up the corner of his mouth. His problem may have just been solved. “So you like something a bit manlier, eh? Good for hauling things around and whatnot?”

“Well, those are really nice. All leather interior and sound system. Can go camping and not even get mosquito bit. And they hold up really well and are really safe.” Xander had replied, casting a quick glance back. He had always wanted one, just that color.

Spike had just shrugged, “To each their own.”

He had called the car lot as soon as Xander left for work the next day. Thankfully, they had exactly what he wanted in stock and would be able to make the few changes that Spike requested. He exhaled a quick stream of smoke and looked to the ceiling. It was amazing what cash could get you. It had been delivered earlier that day and Spike had moved it around the side of the warehouse. The box contained the keys.

He wondered what Xander had in mind. When they woke that morning, wrapped around one another as always, Xander had immediately leaned up to kiss him.

“Happy anniversary,” a low, happy tone to his voice.

“Happy anniversary to you too, pet. Wasn’t sure you would notice.”

Xander sat up, stretched and then smacked him upside the head. “Not notice. Like I could not notice something like that.”

They had padded into the kitchen where Xander had quickly finished breakfast. As he turned to head into the bathroom to shower, he had called back. “Oh, don’t make any plans for dinner. I’m going to take you somewhere.”

“And where’s that, luv.” **Damn, have to cancel the reservations then.**

“You’ll see, it’s a surprise. Wash my back?” With that all thoughts of the surprise had fled Spike’s mind.

Now, Spike wondered just what Xander had in mind. His precious had seemed a little distracted the last few days, and Spike had been unable to find out why. Maybe this was the reason. He heard the sound of the elevator and quickly opened the apartment door. He was rewarded by the sight of a quick blur as Xander slammed him into the wall.

“Missed you,” Spike managed to get out before they were again attacking one another, Xander pinning him against the wall, Spike grabbing his shirt and holding just as tight.

“Missed you, too. Happy anniversary, I love you.” Xander grinned at Spike. He had missed him, even more than usual. It always felt like part of him was gone whenever they were separated and today, well, today it was even worse. Reluctantly, he stepped back. If they didn’t stop now, they would just wind up having sex in the doorway, again, and as much fun as that was, Xander wanted to savor it tonight.

“Love you too,” came the quiet reply as Spike also took a step back. **Right, remember, no shagging until later, you have a plan.** Spike watched as Xander preceded him into the living room, strong back moving under his shirt, ass nicely outlined by his jeans. **Sod the plan.** He reached out, but Xander quickly pulled away, swatting at his hands.

“Stop that, bad vamp. Later. Want to get cleaned up. Sun’s down in a little bit and, like I said, I have a surprise for you.” Xander smiled, then a small crease crossed his brow. He wasn’t sure if Spike would like this. He shook his head, clearing his mind. “Looks nice in here, you clean?”

“Bloody nothing else to do. I’m turning into a little nancy boy, you do realize that?” Spike followed Xander into the bedroom, watching him strip out his work clothes. **Oh, free show!**

“Sorry, I’ll get right to work on that whole sun not melting you thing. Gonna go shower,” Xander glanced down and saw the hopeful expression on Spike’s face. **Focus, no sex now, sex later, focus, you can do it.** “And, no, you can’t join me.” He ignored the howl of protest and locked the door behind him. **Yeah, like that would stop him.**

Xander quickly showered, then changed into his favorite outfit, a black sweater and dark khakis. He knew Spike liked it, thus it was now his favorite. He wanted to look good, wanted everything to be perfect. He really wasn’t sure how Spike was going to react, so he wanted to be sure that everything else was right. Spike had gone back into the living room to avoid temptation and Xander walked out to meet him.

“Ready?”

“We going somewhere, then, luv?” Spike smiled up at Xander. This was the perfect time.

“Yup, got everything in my car.” Xander grabbed Spike’s hand and started to pull him to the door. He was startled when he found himself being pulled into the kitchen instead.

“No, Xander, I don’t think you do.” Spike grinned as he handed Xander the small box, seeing the look of confusion there. “Happy anniversary, open it.”

“Spike, what are you up to,” Xander started as he pulled the lid off. He looked down, confused, at the keychain. “Spike, um, these are keys.”

“Very good, I always knew you were bright.”

Xander just rolled his eyes as he lifted the keys from the box. His eyes grew wide when he saw the emblem hanging down. “Spike, these are Jeep keys.”

“Another brilliant observation. Now, why didn’t they accept you at Oxford?”

“Spike,” Xander looked over, trying to keep his voice calm and level. “What are these for?”

Now Spike rolled his eyes, “For a Jeep, thought you established that, ducks.” He grinned. This was going even better than he had thought.

“SPIKE,” came the frustrated response.

Laughing, Spike just pulled Xander out the door. “Close your eyes, Xander.” Dutifully, Xander closed his eyes, giving up and just going along with whatever Spike had planned. They rode the elevator down, then Xander felt them go outside, walk a little ways and then stop.

“Ok, you can open them now.”

Xander opened his eyes and felt his jaw drop. The Jeep, the one he had pointed out, was parked in front of him. He looked at Spike, who was looked like he was about to burst in two with pride and glee, then back at the Jeep. He closed his mouth, opened it again, still couldn’t speak, shook his head, then moved the few steps forward to place his hand on the hood.

“For me.” The wonderment was clear in his voice. No one had ever done anything so nice for him in his life.

“Said you liked it, besides, that deathtrap you drive has to go.” Spike was ecstatic. It was obvious that he had done the right thing.

“Wow, this is, wow, too much, you shouldn’t have, oh man.” Xander stopped then walked over to grab Spike. “Thank you.” With that, he kissed Spike thoroughly, trying to ensure that Spike realized just how much this meant. “Really, thank you. I would say you shouldn’t have, but that would be a waste of time.”

He and Spike had already argued about this several times. Spike had finally admitted that his comment about being well off was a slight understatement, in fact, Spike was rich. Very rich. And Spike did not understand why he couldn’t just give it all to Xander. Xander had finally convinced Spike that he wanted nothing more than Spike’s own evil self, but he knew it hurt Spike that he wouldn’t just accept his gifts. So, he wasn’t about to turn this down.

“Glad you like. Now, didn’t say something about going somewhere?” Spike just stared into Xander’s eyes, drinking in the pleasure there. He had done a good thing, he had made Xander happy. He had worried that Xander might fight him on this like he had fought the suggestion that Spike add him to his bank accounts, but, apparently, special occasions were exceptions to Xander’s idiotic “small gifts ONLY” rule. Spike filed that away for future use.

“Yeah, and actually, this is perfect for where we’re going. Just, let me get some stuff.” Xander practically ran back to his car, grabbing the small picnic basket in the backseat along with a blanket from the trunk. Returning, he found Spike just watching him, pride on his face. Xander quickly unlocked the doors and they got in. The new car smell hit them both, the smell of the leather heady.

**Oh, great, now my car smells like Spike’s duster. No distraction there, can just see it now. Well, officer, see I hit the tree because I was too busy thinking about what my boyfriend looks like naked to pay attention to anything as petty as the road.**

They pulled out, and Xander just grinned, feeling the power as he stepped on the gas. He began to look around the interior, noticing that this was clearly a top-of-the-line model. Glancing over, he realized the side windows were nearly opaque.

“Spike, did you have the windows blacked out?” This was great, if they ever had to go somewhere during the day then Spike could just ride in the back.

“Absolutely. Well, as dark as they would and still let you drive it. Wanted to have some options in case we suddenly had to flee during the day.”

“Good idea, not the fleeing, but the day thing. This way we can take road trips.” He was dying to go away with his partner.

They drove on for a short time longer, Xander exclaiming as he discovered each feature of his new toy. Spike just sat there, bemused, listening to the happy chatter. Finally, the pulled off the road into a small park. Xander followed the curving road all the way to the back, then parked the car. By this time, the moon had risen, full and heavy and the stars shown clearly in the sky.

“We’re here. Well, almost, have to walk a little way still.” Xander got out, running his hand down the doorframe as he did so, then reached back to grab the basket and blanket. He reached out, took Spike’s hand, then led him down a small path.

“Pet, you sure this is the safest place to be.” Spike looked around, somewhat concerned. If he had been hunting, this would have been a fabulous place to lay in wait.

Xander just pulled a couple of stakes from the basket. “Thought about that already. I used to come here a lot, though, and I was never attacked. And you know that I’m a demon magnet.” They followed the path down, the sound of running water filling their ears. They reached the end of the path and Xander simply turned to his right and struck out through the woods.

“You do know where you are going?” Spike asked, worried. He could see clearly, but it was dark and they were now descending a steep hill.

“I told you, I used to come here a lot.” Xander just continued down, carefully picking his footing. Finally, they reached the bottom of the hill and entered a small clearing. Spike’s eyes widened at the sight before him.

They had emerged from the trees into a clearing at the foot of a large pool. The pool was fed by a small waterfall that came cascading down the side of the hill they had descended, sparkling in the moonlight. A stream fed out the other side of the pool and large, moss covered rocks were present in the water. It was beautiful, calm, peaceful, an oasis in the night.

“Xander, this is unbelievable, I never knew this was here,” Spike moved forward, gazing around in awe.

“Nobody does, you can see there’s no path. I found it years ago when I was out hiking one night and, well, for a long time I came here whenever things got to be too much.” Xander moved behind Spike and wrapped his arms around his waist, resting his chin on Spike’s shoulder. “I’ve never seen anyone else here, never even seen signs that anyone else knows it’s here, it’s like it’s my own private place.”

Spike just nodded, hearing the unspoken words. They rarely spoke of Xander’s past, only when Xander mentioned it, only when he wanted to share. It was still too difficult for his love, and Spike always grew furious whenever he thought about what Xander’s parents had done to him. They stayed there, quiet, for long minutes, until Xander sighed and then pulled away from Spike. He spread out the blanket, placed the basket in the center and then sat down. Spike immediately sat next to him.

Xander took a deep breath. He had been thinking about this for the last two weeks and he had finally reached a decision. He had to say this, had to get it out in the open for what he prayed would be the only time.

“Spike, please just listen to me for a few minutes, okay. This is really important.” The vampire nodded, scenting the hesitation coming from his boy. He tried to move closer, but Xander turned to face him. Taking Spike’s hands in his, and staring at their entwined fingers, he continued.

“I didn’t know what to give you. I don’t have much to offer you besides my love which you have already. But that’s not enough, I want to do something to show you how much you mean to me. So, tomorrow we’re having an apartment warming party. Everyone is coming over and, well, they aren’t coming over to see my place, they are coming over to see our place.” Xander looked up, seeing the shock on Spike’s face. “When they get there, I’m going to tell them that you are living with me, that you are my boyfriend, that we are together. They can just deal.” His voice was defiant but still shook a little. He knew this had the potential to go very badly. Spike opened his mouth to speak, but Xander stopped him. “I know, you don’t want them to hurt me. Well, I don’t want them to hurt you. They have to know. I want them to know. I want everyone to know. I’m yours, you’re mine. So, happy anniversary.” Xander looked back down, afraid of Spike’s response. He meant it, he was tired of hiding, tired of having to always show up separately, tired of not touching whenever they were with the others, tired of pretending.

Spike just stared for a moment. He honestly didn’t know how to react. “Xander, are you sure, the Slayer, I mean, you know she will be upset. And the rest, they won’t understand, Xander, they’re your friends. I don’t want you to lose them because of me.”

Xander’s head shot up at that and he leaned over to kiss Spike. “First, the Slayer can deal. I had to deal with her and Angel and, well, I didn’t deal well, but I dealt. I can take whatever she dishes out. And if she tries to stake you, then she’ll have to come through me first. Second, if the rest can’t accept it, then they aren’t my friends.”

Spike returned the kiss, touched to the core. “Thank you. So, tomorrow night. The big coming out party.” A smirk crossed his face. “We serving pink cake?”

Xander hit him, relieved. That part had gone better then he thought. “No, idiot. Alcohol. Thought that would help more.” Now the hard part. “That’s not all though.” With that he stood and began to pace.

“Remember, the other night, when you asked me what I was thinking about so intensely?” Spike nodded, going still. He could tell that Xander was finally going to reveal whatever it was that had been troubling him. He pushed himself up and moved to stand next to the water, able to watch Xander pace but not getting in the way.

Xander looked up at the stars, gathering his courage. “Well, I was thinking about how you always say forever to me.” He put a hand to stop Spike. “I know you mean it, that’s not the problem.” Xander’s pacing became faster as the tension in him coiled tightly. “Well, I say forever, too, and I mean it.” He walked over to Spike, reaching out to touch that perfect face. “I do.” Dropping his hand, he resumed pacing.

“It’s just, I was thinking how it wasn’t fair. When you say forever, you really truly mean forever. I don’t. I can’t. Someday,” Xander swallowed hard as the tears began to form. “Someday I’m going to die,” he said quietly. “I’m going to die and I’m going to leave you and,” he stopped as his throat closed and the tears began to stream down his face. He felt cool arms grab him, felt a hand push his head down on a firm shoulder, heard the soothing sounds.

“Shh, don’t talk like that, don’t, why would you think about that,” Spike’s voice shook as well, however. This was the subject they always avoided, the cloud which hung over them. No matter what, Xander would eventually leave Spike. Spike knew that even if he could, he would never turn this boy, that doing that would destroy what he loved in the first place. So it was inevitable, they could put it off as long as possible, but it was there with every heartbeat, every second one second closer to the end. Spike’s eyes closed and he felt the blood tears begin at the thought. “I know you mean it, that if it was yours to give then you would. It doesn’t matter.” He didn’t want to talk about this, didn’t want to reveal that he already knew that, as soon as Xander was gone, he would lie on his grave and wait for the sun.

Xander pulled back. He had to say this, had to deal with this once and for all. “Spike, please, just listen, ok. You’re right, if I can find some way to become immortal without being turned, then I will. And I’ve been searching and I plan on continuing to search. But, until, then, I want to be yours. I want everyone, everything to know I’m yours. I don’t want there to be any doubt.” He let out another breath. This was the hardest part.

“Spike, I want you to claim me.”

Spike froze. “What?” He couldn’t have heard right. He longed to claim Xander, to place his mark on that flesh so that nothing would dare harm what was his. But he couldn’t, he couldn’t bite because of that fucking chip. Couldn’t truly protect Xander if he did.

“I said, I want you to claim me.” Xander’s voice shook as he turned away. **Oh, fuck. You blew this, Harris.** “Don’t worry, stupid idea, shouldn’t have said anything.”

Spike yanked him around and crushed him to his chest. “Not a good idea. Don’t you think I’ve thought about nothing else the last month. Of course I want to claim you, but I can’t. I can’t bite you. Fucking bastards.” The familiar rage began to build.

Xander’s shoulders completely relaxed as he listened to Spike rage. So Spike did want to claim him, it was just the chip that had stopped him. He grabbed Spike’s face in his hands, instantly stopping the violent words. He placed a gentle kiss on Spike’s lips, then pulled back.

“Thought about that, and, well, it’s up to you, but it depends on how much pain you’re willing to bear.” Xander pulled them back to the blanket and opened the picnic basket. It contained a thermos and a bottle of Jack Daniels. Holding up the thermos, Xander began again. “Stopped at the blood bank the other day and told them I was going in for surgery and wanted a pint of my blood handy just in case.” With the other hand, Xander help up the Jack Daniels. “And this should help knock you out after.”

Spike stared at him in shock. “Blood to heal me and Jack to knock me out. Clever boy.”

Xander grinned. “What can I say, I have my moments.” The grin faded. “Seriously, Spike, I don’t know what will happen if you try to bite me, but I trust you. I love you. I know you won’t drain me. I don’t want to cause you pain, but I want to bear your mark. I want the world to know I’m yours.”

Spike’s mind reeled. He had wanted this the moment he first kissed Xander, wanted to make sure no one else ever touched what was his. Wanted to see that mark, wanted to touch it, wanted to lap the wound clean. Wanted to taste that purity and hope moving inside him. And Xander wanted it too.

“You sure, what if, well, what if I can’t?”

“Than you can’t and we’ll figure something else out.” Xander felt his heart pounding in his chest. Every time he thought that he loved Spike as much as possible, something else happened and he loved him a little more. Spike wanted to claim him. He wanted to be claimed. They wanted to be one. “Please, can we at least try?”

Spike pinned Xander down, crushing him, trying to pull them together as they kissed.

“Yes, anything, everything, you are mine. Forever. Forever. Mine.” Finally, they drew apart, staring into each other’s eyes. Spike slowly stood, pulling Xander with him. He moved them to stand next to the pool, turning Xander so that the moon shown straight on that beautiful face.

“Where do you want the mark?”

Xander’s eyes dilated at that as a pang of arousal hit him. “Wherever you want.”

Spike began to gently kiss along Xander’s neck, desire and fear mingling in equal parts.

“Well, luv, as much as I want everyone to see it, may cause questions you don’t want to answer.” He finally stopped at the juncture of Xander’s neck and shoulder. There. Still could be seen but also covered. He raised his head, staring into those brown eyes. He could tell Xander meant this, could smell the truth of it. “Ready?”

Xander just nodded. He could still feel the times when Spike had drank from him, could still feel the pull, the intimacy. He craved this.

Spike nodded back. “Xander, I love you.” With those words, he bent his head to Xander’s neck.

The pain hit the second his fangs descended. Spike’s knees almost buckled, but Xander held him firmly, the arms around Spike’s waist supporting him. Spike pushed it away, tried to ignore the knife tearing through his mind. He pressed down and felt his teeth begin to sink into the hot flesh, felt the warm taste of blood begin to pour down his throat. The pain grew and grew, a living beast attempting to consume him. Spike could feel his whole body shake, could feel a seizure building, but still he pressed down. He would do this, he had to do this. Finally, he began to drink, the now familiar taste washing over him, battling back the waves of agony. He pressed further, deeper, mingling their essences. Suddenly, all pain stopped and he could only taste Xander, could only feel the love and completeness. He drank one last mouthful, faintly hearing Xander’s moan, feeling Xander’s hardness press into him. Slowly, reverently, he raised his head and began licking the wound clean, bathing his mate’s neck with long, sure strokes, sealing the mark. Finally, satisfied with his actions, he looked into Xander’s eyes.

Xander stared back. He could feel Spike inside him, could feel their halves become whole. He was Spike’s, Spike was his. They were. They would always be. He saw the slick of blood still on Spike’s mouth. With a low growl, he pulled that mouth to his, desperate to taste his blood in his lover’s mouth. Spike gave an answering growl and they fell to the ground, licking and tasting, feeling Xander’s blood pound in both their veins. Finally, they pulled apart.

Xander stroked Spike’s hair, shocked that Spike seemed so calm. “Are you ok, how bad was it? What do you need?”

Spike just trailed a finger along the mark. His. Xander was his. Forever. And now there was no way anyone could ever doubt. “It was bad, then it went away. It just stopped.”

Xander’s eyes grew wide. “Really, what does that mean?”

“Don’t know,” came the response, Spike’s eyes still fixed on the wound.

“Maybe you can bite me now, try it again.”

“Really,” Spike said, hopefully. Sex wasn’t quite the same without a little biting. “Here goes.” He slipped back into gameface as Xander exposed his neck.

“BLOODY FUCKING HELL!” The pain wracked through him instantly and Spike collapsed on top of Xander, shaking.

“Oh, hell, sorry, sorry, stupid idea.” Xander rattled off frantically. He pushed Spike off, ran over and grabbed the bottle of whiskey. “Here, drink.”

Spike reached out, panting, the pain still crashing through him. He yanked the bottle open and took a huge drink, then another, then another. Finally, the pain stopped.

Xander just sat next to Spike, stroking his back. He was furious with himself for suggesting something so stupid, but he really thought that something had happened, that maybe the chip had stopped working or something. Apparently not. Finally, Spike stopped shaking from pain.

“So, guess the fucking thing still works.” The words slurred out.

“Guess so.”

“Guess shagging is out of the question. Not sure which one of you I want most, probably the one in the middle.” **Fuck, or not, can’t even walk. Car. Hill. How will…?**

“Guess not, we’ll make up for it later.”

Xander gathered up their belongings, then wrapped a steady arm around his lover’s **my mate** waist. “C’mon, drunk boy. Let’s go home.” Spike just nodded, his head tilting too far back and forward. Xander slowly led them back up the hill, settled Spike in the Jeep and headed home. He kept looking in the mirror, seeing the mark and grinning like a madman.

The Scoobies would just love this.




It was Xander’s turn to pace. The bottles were lined up on the island in the kitchen. There were chips and pretzels on the table. Movies were rented. Music selected. He had finally extracted a promise from Spike that when Buffy came after him, he would allow Xander to intervene. They were due here any minute. Xander knew they were all coming in a group, Giles had agreed to be the designated driver, so at least they would all know at once. He paced again.

“Pet, you’re making me dizzy.”

Spike leaned against the refrigerator, looking the picture of calm. He actually was coiled like a snake, having reviewed all possible exits in case the Slayer reacted very worse than Xander thought.

“Can’t stand this, tell you what, let’s leave. Did you like Brazil, let’s go to Brazil. Always wanted to see Rio.”

Spike let out a laugh at that. “Don’t forget, this little shindig was your idea. Now, you sure you want to go through with this?”

“No. Yes. Fuck.”

“Well, that would let them in on our little secret wouldn’t it. Walk in to find us going at it on the floor.” **Hmm, not a bad idea, that.**

“Spike, that’s not helping.” **Great, now I’m nervous and horny. Just great!**

They heard the elevator, the sounds of the voices coming up the shaft. Then footsteps, then the loud knock. Xander looked over at Spike, who mouthed “love you”. With that, Xander opened the door.

“Welcome to our humble abode.”

They all came pouring in, thankfully, Buffy was at the back. The praise washed over him. “Great place, wow, do you have the whole thing to yourself, whose Jeep, oh, like the couch, it’s huge,” all one big blur of noise.

Then Anya’s voice. “Hey, Spike, didn’t know you were invited.”

Everyone turned at that and Spike slowly moved to stand by Xander. **Here we go.**

Buffy turned to Xander, “You invited him, why would do that?”

Xander swallowed hard, reached out, took Spike’s hand and looked her straight in the eye.

“Didn’t invite. He lives here.”

The room went perfectly still as all attention focused on Xander’s hand grasping Spike’s. Once again, it was Anya’s voice which broke the silence.

“Well, it’s about time you two said something, do you know how hard it’s been to keep acting like it’s a big secret.”

She came bouncing over and kissed Xander on the cheek, tilting her head and deciding to kiss Spike as well, memorizing the expression of shock on his face.

“Yeah,” said Willow, pulling Tara over with her. “I mean, it’s not like you guys have been subtle or anything.” She leaned over to kiss Xander as well, chuckling as she saw his grip on Spike’s hand tighten.

Tara just looked at them shyly. “Seriously, Xander, Spike, didn’t you notice that when we had that party last week, the invitation said Xander and Spike.”

At least this got some reaction. Xander and Spike looked at each other. No, they hadn’t noticed.

“But, how, I mean, we were careful, how, what,” Xander began to sputter.

Willow, Tara and Anya just burst into gales of laughter. “Xander, you’ve been walking around on cloud nine for like, a month and Spike’s been even worse. Besides, he looks at you the way I look at Tara.”

“Besides, you are men. You have men subtlety. Like the leaving five minutes apart thing.” Anya just shook her head. “So obvious. And, just a suggestion: just because we’re human, well sort of, doesn’t mean we can’t smell sex if you give each other orgasms right before you leave.” She rolled her eyes. Men.

Spike and Xander just stared at each other, shocked. They realized, however, that Buffy and Giles were standing perfectly still. As one their heads turned.

Buffy just stared back at them, the emotions clearly written on her face. Fury, disgust, rage, urge to kill. She stalked quickly over and Xander immediately placed himself between Spike and Buffy. **Oh shit, here it comes.** Xander saw her reach down and he felt Spike tense, ready to run. “Buffy, c’mon, let me explain,” he began then saw her hand quickly flinch up, throwing the water in his face.

“Hey, what was that for,” he yelped out as Spike began to hiss behind him as the holy water splashed onto him. Spike jumped away from Xander, who was still staring down at Buffy. Buffy just looked back at him, confused.

“Xan, he didn’t, you’re not, you know, a vamp? He didn’t turn you?”

“Fuck, no, you stupid bint,” Spike called from, relative, safety behind the counter. “Why would I turn him?”

Buffy just stared back as Xander continued to drip. She had to admit, she was more than a little confused. “Need a minute here guys. Apparently, someone forgot to give me the memo that said you two hooked up.” She grabbed Xander and yanked him forward, ignoring the growl that instantly came from Spike. “Why don’t you explain?” She let Xander go and noticed that Spike was instantly at his side, reaching out to touch him, then flinching back when he realized that he couldn’t, that Xander was drenched in the holy water.

“Are you done with the sudden water throwing?” Xander asked. This was not at all what he thought would happen. Apparently, Anya, Willow and Tara knew and seemed happy for them. Buffy had only tried to make sure that he hadn’t been turned, hadn’t tried to kill Spike, at least not yet. Giles was just staring at him.

“Yes.”

Giles cleared his throat, taking his glasses off and polishing them. So, he had been right. Xander had seemed much happier lately, and Giles had started wondering why. Then, about a week ago, he had heard Xander and Spike having a quiet conversation. He hadn’t heard the words, but he recognized the tone. “Why don’t we all grab a drink, I know I need one, and let Spike and, and Xander explain.”

Everyone nodded and moved to grab something, Xander still taking care to stay between Spike and Buffy who were trying to stare each other down. They moved to the living room, arranged themselves and then all looked at he and Spike expectantly.

“Well, since this doesn’t seem to be quite the surprise we thought, guess that’s good.” Xander started, not sure how to proceed. He looked over at Spike, smiled slightly and started up.

“Well, a few months ago, Spike and I started to become friends. Some stuff happened,” Xander’s face darkened for a moment and he looked back over. Spike just stared back, trying to will Xander his strength. Xander nodded and continued. “Anyway, stuff happened, and Spike was there and helped me deal. He moved back into the basement with me and when I got this place, he came along. Started feeling something more, then that night that he was attacked, we finally admitted what was happening. Told each other we loved each other,” a smile unconsciously crossed his face at that, “and now, well, here we are.”

Spike looked over at Xander’s friends as his mate finished. Giles looked back at him warily, Anya was grinning, Willow and Tara were beaming and Buffy, well she looked confused but not murderous. Much better than expected.

“So, you two are together,” Buffy started. This was completely unexpected. She looked back at Xander. “I didn’t know you were gay.”

“Neither did I,” came the quiet reply.

“And now you’re with Spike,” Buffy shook her head. Glaring over, she rose, stalking toward the blond who simply backed away. Xander again darted over to place himself between the two.

“Buffy, look, he didn’t do anything, I love him, you can’t stake him. This was my decision.”

Buffy just glared at him. “Fine. I won’t stake him, yet.” She pushed Xander out of the way, moving directly in front of Spike. “If you hurt him, in ANY way,” a stake quickly dropped into her hand, “Then I won’t hesitate for a second.” She pressed the tip of the stake into Spike’s chest. “I mean it. You hurt him, you’re dust.”

Spike just looked back down at her. “Slayer, if I hurt him, I’ll stake myself. Wouldn’t give anyone else the pleasure.”

Buffy just stared back at him, searching his face. The blue eyes stared steadily back, the truth apparent there. She pushed the stake back into her sleeve. “Fine. As long as we all understand.” She walked back over to the couch. “Now, I just want to make one thing clear, Alexander Lavelle Harris. I get to be just as nice and supportive of you and your vampire boyfriend as you were of me and mine.” She grinned. “So, how did you and Deadboy hook up?”

Spike and Xander stared at the ceiling. The party had gone quite well after that, everyone laughing, getting more and more drunk. Xander had gone to dry off and Spike went with him, still wary of the Slayer’s reaction. But, when they came back out, hand in hand, Buffy had just rolled her eyes but said nothing. The rest of the night had gone well, everyone sharing their best imitations of the look on Spike’s face when Anya had made the crack about the orgasms and Xander’s reaction to the water. Totally unexpected.

“Guess we were wrong about them,” Spike suddenly said.

“Guess so,” came the sleepy reply.

“Guess they really are your friends.”

“No, guess they really are our friends.”

“Guess so.”

With that, they both fell asleep.




Six months later

“I cannot believe you bloody got me back in Wal-Mart,” Spike growled out. The bribe this time had been the promise that he could push the cart.

“Well, you’re the one who ate all the ice cream and nothing else is open at this time of night. Morning. Whatever. Besides, we need some other stuff, too.” Xander looked down at the list. “Let’s start over with the toothbrushes, can get the other bathroom type stuff.”

Spike just nodded. He had finally talked Xander into going to college and, since Xander made sure to take afternoon classes, they were on almost the same schedule. Xander had fought him at first, but Spike could be very persuasive. Actually, it was the support that Spike had given that had convinced Xander to try. Xander had always wanted to go to college, but, since his grades were so bad, most people had just assumed he wasn’t that bright. Spike had finally made him see otherwise, had forced him to check into it, had called around, had gotten the information, had filled out the application, had sent in the check. Basically done everything but drag Xander to class the first day and Xander was pretty sure that Spike would have found a way to do that if he hadn’t gone on his own.

He was enjoying it, discovering that, yes, he was actually pretty smart. He hadn’t decided a major yet, but was taking his time. The most surprising part was realizing that Spike could actually be a huge help. Xander had gradually realized that Spike was far more educated then any of them had ever suspected. In fact, Xander had a sneaking suspicion that Spike had gone to university himself at some point. Xander hadn’t asked, he was waiting until Spike reached just the right state of intoxication.

“Need soap, too.”

Xander just nodded throwing cotton balls into the cart. “I’m going to go pick out toothbrushes, why don’t you get the soap then.” He started to move away, when Spike grabbed him.

“What, no kiss goodbye?” An eyebrow quirked up.

“I’m going ten feet.” A token protest.

“Your point being?”

Xander laughed, leaned over and kissed Spike. They usually didn’t kiss in public, not wanting to draw any undue attention, but it was 3:30 on a Wednesday morning, who could possibly see them.

“Always knew you were a fucking faggot.” The harsh voice slapped into them, the scent of alcohol close behind.

Spike instantly went rigid. He knew that voice. Xander’s bastard of a father.

Xander looked up, in shock. He hadn’t seen or heard from his parents since he left. He had no desire to even act like they were alive. Now, here his father was, watching him kiss Spike. He heard the growling come from Spike and reached out just as Spike began to spring forward. “Stop it, not here, security cameras,” he managed to hiss out, pulling Spike back with all his might.

Spike just continued to growl, yellow flickering through his eyes. The mere fact that piece of shit was still walking was an insult to everything he held dear. But he backed down.

“Dad,” Xander said, looking straight into his father’s eyes. “What I do with my life is none of your fucking business.”

“Don’t you speak to me like that, boy. You show some respect.” A finger reached out, jabbing towards Xander’s chest. That was too much for Spike. Moving in front of Xander, he let himself morph into full gameface. He saw the shock cross the bastard’s face, felt the scent of fear rush out of him. Good. At least he could do this.

“You don’t deserve to speak to him. You never speak to him again. You are nothing to him.” The words were a vicious growl and Spike’s hands clenched and unclenched as the longing to just rip the motherfucker’s head off raced through him. He felt Xander’s hand touch his back.

“Let’s just go. He isn’t worth this.” The words were spat out as Xander simply walked away, refusing to even look at the man who claimed to be his father. Spike followed, turning back for one last hiss.

Xander walked quickly out the doors, head high, Spike right on his heels. He made it to his Jeep before he started to shake. Spike immediately grabbed him, running his hands over Xander’s back, making quiet, soothing sounds.

“Fuck.”

“Yes, luv, that pretty much sums it up.”

“Can’t believe he still makes me feel like that.”

“I know,” Spike felt the tic on his cheek as he clenched his teeth together. “He can’t hurt you now, though.”

“I know.” Xander buried his head in Spike’s shoulder, taking a deep breath, inhaling the familiar scent. “Let’s go, don’t want him to come out and see us.” Spike just nodded.

They got into the Jeep, Spike driving since Xander was still shaking too much, and drove home. Neither noticed the car following them.




One week later

Xander heard the elevator coming up. He glanced at the door. That was quick. Spike had just left for coffee about ten minutes before. Xander was studying for an American literature exam and needed the caffeine. He walked over, opening the door as he heard the footsteps approach, still reading the book in his hand. He pulled open the door.

“Hey that was fast,” he never got another word out as he felt the fist slam into his cheek. Shocked, he fell back, smelling the alcohol, feeling the rage coming from the man in front of him. His father stared down, hatred evident on his face.

“Fucking faggot, prancing about, everyone laughing at me,” he heard the words as his father grabbed him and threw him into the wall. The back of his head hit hard and he fell, seeing stars. He frantically tried to fight back, to reach the door, to get away. He felt the kicks to his ribs and he collapsed again, curling protectively to shield his face.

“You disgrace, should have killed you a long time ago,” again he was thrown to the wall, but this time closer to the door. He reached out, pulling away, just as he saw the gleam of steel in his father’s hand. “I can fix that though.”

Xander managed to hit the panic button on the alarm just as the knife was buried to its hilt in his chest.




Part Twelve

Spike hummed along happily to the Sex Pistols. He had gone, gotten the coffee, stopped to pick up some Chinese, stopped at the store to get some chocolate and was now heading home. His Xander was studying, intent on doing well, intent on proving everyone wrong. It was so wonderful to see him changing, becoming more and more confident every day. Xander was growing up, growing into the strong, sure man that Spike had always known he would be. It was magical, like watching a tree grow, or a mountain form. Every day was something new. Spike hadn’t realized that such happiness existed.

He turned down their alleyway, startled by the lights suddenly before him. He felt panic begin to rise as he pulled forward, seeing the blue and red strobes, hearing the voices, seeing one, two, no three police cars and two ambulances. He slammed on the brakes, ripped open the door and took off at a dead run.

“Xander,” the scream ripped through him. “Xander!”

Strong arms grabbed him as he came to the police cars.

“Sir, sir you can’t go in there.” The words vaguely registered as he desperately tried to pull away. The pain hit him and he jumped back, furious, desperate.

“Please, Xander, what happened, Xander, where is he…” Frantically, he turned to look at the officer holding him. “Xander.” He turned back, the scent of blood hitting him from this distance. He managed to yank away and leapt over the hood of the car blocking his path, moving as quickly as he could towards the stretcher coming out the door. Again, he was stopped.

“Sir, please you can’t go in there. It’s a crime scene.” At that he whirled around, yellow eyes blazing. He saw the shock on the young man’s face, but he didn’t care. “Sir, please, calm down, who are you?”

“William, I’m Xander’s mate.” Spike managed to pant the words out, still straining to move ahead. Again, he saw the confusion there. “Boyfriend, I’m his boyfriend. What happened, please?” He hadn’t been gone that long, what the fuck happened.

“Sir, your boyfriend, Xander, he was attacked,” came a quiet reply behind him. Spike turned again, growing dizzy at the words, looking over to see a calm face staring back at him. “He was beaten and stabbed,” Spike began to howl as the words sank into him. He frantically tried to pull free. “Sir, calm down. He’s on his way to the hospital. He managed to hit the alarm and we were here in about five minutes. We shot the man who did this. We can take you to the hospital if you like, just please calm down.”

Spike slowed a little, the calm words reaching through his rage. Attacked. While he was gone. He had failed. He had promised that nothing would ever happen to Xander. He had failed. Spike crashed to the ground as his legs finally gave way. Strong hands pulled him back up.

“Sir,” “William,” he faintly heard whispered next to him. “William, he’s still alive, he’s on his way to the hospital. I’m sure you want to go. Do you want us to take you?”

Spike managed to nod a yes and felt himself being led to a police car. He closed his eyes as the siren ripped through the night. Xander. Xander. Bleeding. Stabbed. Dying.

“He was attacked.” The quiet words were pulled from him.

“Yes, someone came into the apartment and it appears there was a struggle and he was stabbed.” Spike hissed at the words. Stabbed. Bleeding. Dying. Alone. He began to shake in rage.

“You shot who did this.”

“Yes,” came the simple reply.

Spike looked down at his shaking hands. They were flying along. **At least the tosser driving knows his stuff.** “So he was still there when you got there.” Spike felt his heart break, knew his mind wasn’t far behind. Stabbed. Bleeding. Dying. Alone.

“William,” he looked over at the officer’s face, for the first time registering that it was a woman sitting next to him, that he was in the backseat. “William, please, I know this is hard, but just listen. Xander managed to hit the panic button on the alarm. We got there in about five minutes. When we arrived, Xander was lying on the floor, stabbed.” The woman reached her hand out as Spike began to shake. “William, just, try to be strong, Xander’s going to need you to be strong.”

“Is the fucker still alive?” he hissed out, yellow flashing through his eyes. **Please, whatever gods or demons, please let him be alive so I can kill him.**

“Yes, at the moment. He’s going to the hospital as well.” Spike just nodded.

They pulled into the hospital and Spike jumped out the door before the car had stopped. He ran into the emergency room, following the scent of Xander’s blood which seemed to drench everything around him. He heard the shouts behind him, heard the screams to stop, but he didn’t care. Stabbed. Bleeding. Dying. Alone. He couldn’t let that happen.

Once again, he was yanked back, this time by several pairs of hands. “Sir, you can’t go in there it’s the trauma room. Sir, stop, sir.” Spike just struggled, desperate to break free. Again, pain crashed into him and he dropped to his knees, a scream of rage tearing through him. He felt a warm hand touch the side of his face.

“William,” it was the female officer again. “William, the doctors are with him. They have to help him. I know you want to see him but you’ll just get in the way.” She led Spike over to the chairs, sitting him down. He turned back to the doors, training all his senses on hearing the sounds. He could still hear Xander’s heartbeat, could pick it out from everything else. Shutting all other sounds out, he trained on just that sound. So slow, so weak, but still there. He realized that she was talking again.

“–and I’m sorry to ask.”

“What,” Spike managed to whisper, never taking his eyes from the door.

“Can I ask you some questions,” again, quietly, calmly, like she was trying to soothe a savage beast.

“Sure,” Spike replied, still listening for that sound.

“Where were you,” she started and found herself faced with a vicious glare.

“You think I had something to do with this, that’s my mate, my mate, do you understand, when he dies, I die,” Spike hissed at her, the rage building inside him. The only reason he didn’t scream was to prevent them from coming to tranquilize him, to take him away from his mate.

“That’s not it, just trying to get a sense of what happened.” She calmly looked back, waiting as Spike finally nodded. “Can you tell me about what you did tonight?”

“Stayed in, Xander has a big test tomorrow, he was studying. Ran out of coffee, asked me to go get some, I did, stopped for some Chinese, some chocolate,” Spike’s voice trailed off. He had left him, had abandoned him there. His fault, all his fault.

Officer Healy just nodded, jotting the information down. She looked back up. “Have you had any problems with burglary, anything like that?” The alarm system had been top of the line.

“No.” Spike could still hear Xander’s heart, still beating, still alive.

“Well, like I said, the man who attacked him is here. Once they get your boyfriend stabilized, do you think you could see if you can identify him?” She didn’t want to upset William further, didn’t want to tell him they had found a wallet and knew who it was.

Spike just nodded. “Would you like something to drink?”

Spike shook his head, he wasn’t going to move, not until someone told him what they were doing to his Xander. He felt the warm touch again, looked over, saw the concern in the green eyes.

“I’ll see if I can find a nurse or someone else to tell you what’s happening.” Spike nodded gratefully, then resumed his vigil, hands shaking. He closed his eyes, focusing only on that sound.

After what seemed to be an eternity, he felt a hand on his shoulder. Looking up, he saw the officer standing with another man, white coat, some kind of doctor.

“William, this is Dr. Hume. He’s one of the doctors who was taking care of Xander.”

“Please, you have to help him, all I have, please,” the words came tumbling out.

“William, Xander is stable now. We had to take him to surgery.” Another hiss at that. “He sustained a quite significant stab wound to his chest near his heart. We are going in to close it up. He lost a lot of blood, but we were able to replace that fairly quickly. He also has some broken ribs, looks like he hit his head.”

“Will, will he live?” Spike forced the question out, looking up, desperate for an answer.

“Depends on the surgery.” Spike just stared at the doctor. “He’s stable and we can control the blood loss, but we have to find out how deep the knife went.” The doctor sat down as Spike’s head sank into his hands. “I’m not trying to upset you, just telling you the truth. Signs are good. The rate of blood loss has significantly slowed, which indicates that the heart itself wasn’t punctured.”

Spike nodded, unable to speak. Surgery, they had to cut his Xander open. Someone would pay. His head shot up and he pinned the woman to the wall with a glare.

“Where’s fucking bastard who did this?” Rage began to build, it didn’t matter how much it hurt, he was going to make the prick pay.

“Being stitched up, the bullet just went through his shoulder.”

Spike rose. “I want to see him.”

Nodding, Officer Healy led him down the hall. She stopped before opening the door. “Look, I just want you to identify him. Nothing more. No matter what you want to do, you can’t.” Spike’s eyes thinned to slits, then he nodded. It wouldn’t help Xander if he was arrested on the spot. Satisfied, she pushed open the door.

Spike entered in one dark swirl of his duster. There, handcuffed to the bed. He took one look, turned around and headed out the door.

“Do you know who that is?”

“His fucking father. Were you planning on telling me that Xander had been raped as well?” He spit out the words.

Officer Healy just stared at him. Xander had been raped, but she hadn’t wanted to mention it. William seemed unstable enough as was. “How did you know that?” She managed to get the question out with some degree of control.

“Bastard’s been doing it since he was eleven.”

Her eyes grew wide, both at the information and at the sound of the words. She had never heard anything like it, it sounded like William was growling. It also contained the plainest threat of violence that she had ever heard. It was clear that Xander’s father was a dead man. Not that she disagreed. She had been there when the first set of officers had entered the apartment, had seen the blood, heard the sound of violation. She knew that the officer who shot that being in the other room was thrilled that he had left him alive once they opened both wallets and compared the names on the driver’s licenses. What was going to happen to him in prison was much, much worse than death.

Spike began to pace, desperate for activity, damning the chip in his brain for the millionth time. A nurse approached them cautiously, the blond man radiated anger. “William?”

Spike stopped, “Yes?”

The nurse looked at him in fear. “Dr. Hume said to bring you to the waiting room. He thought you might be more comfortable there.” Spike began to follow her as Officer Healy trailed behind.

“William, is there anyone you would like to call?” Obviously not the boy’s parents, that was sure.

Spike stopped, turned around. “Yes, he has,” he swallowed, started over. “We have some friends.” He saw the phone in her outstretched hand. He took it gratefully, dialing the number from memory.

“Lo,” came the sleepy answer.

“Buffy.”

“Spike,” Buffy sat up in a panic. Spike only called her Buffy when something was very, very wrong. She looked at the clock. 1:23 a.m. “Spike, what is it?’

“Xander, he’s hurt, we’re at the hospital.” Buffy heard the sheer terror in Spike’s voice. “He was stabbed, they took him to surgery, they said it was his heart.” Buffy felt her breath catch in her throat. “Please, get everyone, hurry.”

“We’ll be right, there. Spike, honey, he’ll be okay.” There was no response. Just a dial tone.




Willow looked over at Spike. Buffy had called everyone, telling them only that Xander was hurt and was at the hospital. She and Tara had gone to pick up Buffy and Giles and Anya met them at the hospital. They were shocked when a police officer had met them at the door, then ushered them into the waiting room where Spike sat, staring straight ahead. He hadn’t looked up when they arrived, hadn’t indicated he knew they were there at all. But when Buffy had crouched next to him, asked him what had happened, he had answered in a flat, emotionless tone. Xander had been studying. He left. Xander had been beaten and stabbed. He was in surgery. That was all he had said. They had been given a private waiting area and were arranged around the room.

That was three hours ago. They were still waiting for news. Spike hadn’t moved the entire time, had just sat there, staring. Watching the door they had been told the surgeon would come through. Three hours and he hadn’t so much as blinked.

They all started when Spike suddenly jumped up and began moving for the door. A few seconds later, the door opened and a tall, dark haired man came into the room. He looked down at a chart in his hand then back up. “William,” he gently called.

Spike walked straight ahead, desperately scenting the air, trying to smell Xander on this man. He was shocked when the surgeon’s eyes met his. It was the same doctor who had fixed Xander those long months ago. The surgeon looked just as shocked.

“Master, I didn’t realize… Master, he will be fine. Please, don’t worry, he’s alive, he’s well, he will recover, he will be just fine.” Spike just continued to stare as the surgeon went on. “Master Spike, please, if you can just sit for a moment, so I can explain.” Dr. O’Rourke slowly became aware of the others in the room. Glancing over, he stopped cold. **Surely that’s the Slayer.** Shaking his head, he gently lowered Spike into a chair.

“He’s alive.” Spike closed his eyes, repeating the words. “He’s alive.”

“Yes, the knife pierced the pericardium, the sac surrounding the heart, but missed the heart itself. We were able to repair it without any problems.” Dr. O’Rourke could see the tension begin to drain from the vampire sitting next to him. “A few ribs were also broken but those were easily reset. He has a concussion, some other wounds. He’s in recovery now, probably will be there for a few more hours, we were in surgery for about four hours so the anesthesia needs some time to wear off. He’ll make a full recovery, just will be sore for a long time.”

Spike looked over, waves of gratitude hitting him. Twice, this man had saved his Xander twice.

“Doctor, I do not know how to thank you,” he began, hearing the waver in his voice. “He is my mate, my everything.” Spike stopped as the tears began to fall. “Everything. Are you sure he’s fine?”

Dr. O’Rourke nodded. “Yes. Now, he’ll need to stay here for a week or so, we had to crack open his chest,” he felt Spike go rigid next to him. “So, he’ll be in a lot of pain. Don’t worry, I’ll make sure we do the best we can to stop that. After that, it’ll be a few months until he’s completely back on his feet, but once he recovers, he’ll be just the same. There’s a private set of rooms on the seventh floor that are windowless, I’ll make sure he’s moved there. You can stay with him as long as you want.”

“Thank you.” The tears continued down Spike’s face, but he didn’t care, couldn’t care. Xander was alive, Xander would be fine. That was all that mattered. The surgeon stood and Spike stood with him. “Thank you.”

Dr. O’Rourke just nodded. “If you would like, I’ll take you down to recovery. No one’s really supposed to go in there, but I’ll make sure they leave you alone. Don’t be upset by all the machinery, it’s just monitoring equipment.” Spike nodded and began to follow the doctor, the rest of the gang fast on their heels.

They walked down a corridor, then into a large room. Xander’s bed was the only one there. Spike practically ran over, hissing at the sheer number of tubes coming from that frail body. He reached out, took Xander’s hand.

“Xander, I’m sorry, I’m so sorry, I love you, please, you’ll be fine, I’m sorry.”

Everyone else held back, just watching.

“Xander, I love you. Wake up soon. I want to see you. Please,” a quiet sob. “Please, forgive me. I’m sorry, I’m so sorry.”

Any doubts that had remained about the depths of Spike’s feelings were answered by the sound of his voice, the despair and pain contained in the words. Spike reached out, tracing a finger over the faint scar on Xander’s neck.

“Mine. You are mine. I will avenge you. I promise that.”

“Master,” Spike heard the words, but refused to look up. Xander. Xander alive. Xander breathing. Xander’s heart still beating. “Master, we’re going to take him up to the room now, you can come with if you would like.” Spike just nodded. There was no way he was leaving Xander’s side. Not ever again.

The orderlies began to wheel the bed out, Spike still clutching Xander’s hand. They moved to an elevator, then all piled around as they rose to the seventh floor. The large entourage moved into a suite of rooms at the end of a long hall. Spike was forced to move as they arranged Xander in the room. Finally, he was allowed back, allowed to take Xander’s hand again. He felt Giles move behind him, heard the sound of something moving on the floor, felt himself being pushed down into a chair. His hand never left Xander’s hand, his eyes never left Xander’s face. He vaguely registered everyone else arranging themselves around the bed, but he didn’t care. Xander was alive. That was all that mattered.




His chest burned, his throat burned, his eyes burned, hell, his hair burned. Xander slowly came awake, hearing a strange beeping noise, aching all over. Gradually, the events of the night came back to him. He had been stabbed. He remembered that, then nothing else. He could feel something cool next to him and he slowly opened his eyes. The first thing he saw was Spike’s face, red tracks from tears streaking the pale skin. Spike’s eyes staring into his, worry, pain, grief, a touch of furious rage. He felt Spike’s hand in his and he gave a quick squeeze.

“Love you,” he managed to croak out.

“Shh, don’t speak. I love you. I’m sorry.” Spike’s voice, thick with grief and pain.

“Not your fault.” Xander tried to continue but couldn’t, his mouth too dry. He suddenly felt an ice chip being held to his lips.

“Here, suck this, it will help. You’re in the hospital. They had to operate but you’ll be fine.” Spike’s voice trembled. “Everyone’s here, we’re all here, don’t worry, you’ll be fine. Go back to sleep.” He didn’t want Xander to go, wanted him here, but Spike could see the exhaustion on his mate’s face. “I’ll be here when you wake up again, don’t worry.” A cool hand ran through Xander’s hair. “I’ll never leave you again. I love you. Sleep now.”

“Spike, love you.” He felt a gentle kiss on his lips.

“Sleep, we’ll talk when you wake up.” Xander just nodded, he was so tired. He closed his eyes and fell back asleep.

Spike just stared down at the battered body. “I swear, if it’s the last thing I do, I’ll feed you his heart.” He pressed another gentle kiss to Xander’s lips, then scooted the chair so that he could rest his head on the pillow next to Xander’s. He was so tired. Now that he had seen Xander, heard his voice, he could sleep. He quickly fell asleep, never noticing the soft hands wrapping a blanket around him, never feeling the kiss dropped on his brow.

Buffy stepped back, looking down on them, Willow at her side.

“He loves him.”

“Yes.”

“I hope someone loves me like that someday,” Buffy said softly.

“They will.”

Buffy just nodded. “Where’s that cop? I have to find out who did this.” Buffy stalked out of the room, everyone else following her.

“Buffy, why?” Giles called out, trying to keep up.

“Well, it must be human or Spike would have ripped it into tiny pieces already.” An evil look crossed her face. “So, I have a plan. I’ll find the monster who did this and let Spike tell me just how to torture him. I know it’s not quite the same, but it’s the best I can do.”

She continued down the hall, leaving a stunned group behind her.




Part Thirteen

Buffy just stared at the policeman in shock. No, she shook her head firmly. No, this was impossible. This could not be happening. There was no way the words he was saying could be true. Her hands balled into fists as she moved to stand immediately in front of the man blocking her way into the hospital room. No. This could not be.

“I already told you, miss, you can’t go in there. This is an ongoing investigation.”

“Get. Out. Of. My. Way.” She glared up at him, violence pouring off her in waves. This, this, this idiot was standing in her way, was in between her and whatever it was that had almost killed Xander. She reached up, ready to simply throw the stupid cop over her shoulder when she felt Giles’s hand grab her arm.

“Sir, sir,” Giles managed to call out as he yanked the startled Slayer away. “We are friends of the, the victim,” his voice caught a little at that. “And we want to know what happened.” He turned his best authoritative glare on the man, the one that sometimes even managed to get Spike to listen. Buffy began to squirm in his arms.

“Let go, Giles, why did you,” she hissed out.

“Because there are witnesses and other police and you don’t want that attention,” came the quiet answer in her ear. Buffy’s eyes widened slightly then she nodded. Fuck. She hated it when Giles was right.

The policeman turned his attention to Giles, clearly glad to speak to an adult. “As I was telling the girl,” Buffy bristled at that, “the investigation is ongoing. There is no way you can go in there.” The harsh voice softened a little. The group staring back at him obviously were friends of that boy they had brought in. “Look, the bastard who did this got shot for his trouble, he’s not going anywhere for a long time.” Not for a very long time if what he had picked up on the radio was true. He looked down at the pretty blonde staring back at him, fire in her eyes. It looked like she was ready to tear whatever hurt her friend from limb to limb, and, if that sick prick chained to the bed in there had really stabbed and raped his own kid, well, he was tempted to let her. Couldn’t though. “Why don’t you just go back, stay with your friend. I’m sure that he would appreciate the support when he comes to.”

Buffy just glared back. No. She wanted to see for herself what beast had done this, what sick thing had dared come after Xander in his own home. Frustrated, she turned back to Giles.

“No. I’m going in there.” She began to move forward again, and this time it was Willow who stopped her.

“Buffy, I want to go in there too, but, he’s right, we can’t.” Willow’s voice shook. Her best friend, her family was lying in a hospital bed, lucky to be alive. And the thing that did it was right behind her and she couldn’t destroy it. Not yet. “Xander needs us. We’ll go back, maybe that nice lady cop will come by later.”

Buffy hurled once last hateful look at the officer, who flinched back as if slapped.

“Fine, be the voice of reason why don’t you.”

She stalked back towards Xander’s room, shaking with impotent fury. A sudden thought flashed through her mind. **This must be what Spike feels, can’t do anything, can’t protect him.** Her stomach twisted at the thought. She knew how protective Spike was, remembered clearly the way he had done anything to help Dru, even teaming with her, his mortal enemy. Some part of her recognized that what Spike felt for Xander was far stronger than what Spike had felt for Dru. And now Spike was reduced to sitting and waiting, unable to bring back the monster’s heart as a fitting present for his love. The rage inside her burned higher. Fine. She could wait. Give them more time to plan. Give Spike a chance to show her exactly how to use those railroad spikes that earned him his name.

The gang turned back with her, moving smoothly together as they always did. Giles moved to Buffy’s side, anxious to speak with her.

“Buffy, what exactly did you mean earlier?” He looked over, curious. He agreed completely, whatever had caused Xander such pain must die. But to hear it come from his charge… The greatest crime a Slayer could commit was to kill a human. And it sounded like Buffy intended to do exactly that.

“I mean that since Spike can’t avenge Xander, I will do it for him.” The words were flat, nearly emotionless. Nearly. The coldness of the tone served to only hide the fire behind the thought.

“Buffy,” he reached to take off his glasses, the gesture not calming him like it should. “You can’t kill a human either.”

Buffy came to an abrupt halt, causing Willow and Tara to nearly run into her, while Anya managed to stop just before crashing straight into Giles. She looked up, unnamable emotions playing across her face.

“Who said anything about killing?” She knew killing was out. No one had mentioned anything about not torturing humans, however.

Anya smiled proudly at Buffy. She had always known the Slayer had it in her. “That’s true, Giles. I know that Slayers can’t kill humans but in all my time I never heard anyone say they couldn’t hurt them. I mean, I’ve seen Buffy accidentally hurt humans sometimes and nothing happened. So, obviously, she could just hurt him a little. A lot. I know this great thing,” she turned to the witches excitedly. She was just as angry as the rest of them. Just because she had left Xander didn’t mean she didn’t still care for him. “Where can we get some lizard eyes, we’ll need them to make the paste…”

Giles quickly cut her off, recognizing the glint in her eye. “Buffy, technically, I suppose that’s true, but this is a police matter. You heard the man, they caught him, shot him, even, so there’s nothing we can do.” He heard the faint hint of disappointment in his voice.

“Giles, what are they going to do? Send him to prison for a little. Fuck that. He has to pay.” They started walking down the hall towards Xander’s room.




“Get the fuck away from him.”

Spike stood toe to toe with the two men who were trying to wake his Xander. He had suddenly jerked awake, sensing something in the room and had found these bastards trying to shake Xander awake. He had instinctively started to slip into gameface, but the warning flash of pain had been enough to restore his control. He knew he had to maintain his human façade to ensure that he could remain at his beloved’s side. That didn’t mean he couldn’t still try to protect what was his, though.

“Sir, look, we need to speak with him.” One of the detectives held up his hands trying to calm the furious man in front of him. **Wow, they were right, he’s like an animal.** Officer Healy had warned them before going up that Xander had a very protective boyfriend and to be careful how they approached the situation. They had nodded, sure they could handle an upset partner. They hadn’t been prepared in the least for the predatory glare which now confronted them.

“Sir,” the other detective started, only to find vicious blue eyes staring him down. He stopped, swallowing hard. “Sir, we just need to talk to your boyfriend there, just need to find out what happened.” He spoke in what he hoped was a soothing manner, sure that the man before him was growling.

“Sod off. He’s sleeping.” The growling had changed to a snarl. “Heard you already know. The fucker broke in, stabbed Xander,” Spike’s eyes shut as his whole body shook at that thought. “Stabbed him, raped him,” Spike’s voice went quiet at that. He looked down, barely controlling his rage. He looked back up, only the shaking of his voice and the faint flickers of yellow in his eyes betraying him. “You showed up, shot the bastard. Brought him here.” Spike swallowed hard. “Not much else to find out now is there. Get out.”

The detectives turned as they heard several people enter the room. A small blonde, a middle aged man, a small redhead holding hands with another girl, yet another girl.

“Spike, what’s wrong? Who are they?” Willow moved quickly to his side, taking a hand, trying to calm him down.

“They’re leaving.” Spike continued to stare them down even as he curled his fingers into Willow’s.

“Sir, we really need to speak to him,” the detectives began again, only to find the small blonde had suddenly moved in front of them as well.

“No. He’s sleeping. Let him be.” Buffy folded her arms. This she could do. Some small way to protect Xander.

“Listen, we aren’t trying to hurt him.” **Great now there’s a whole group of them.**

“Spike.”

The small voice stopped everyone in the room. Spike turned and was by Xander’s side in an instant.

“I’m here, luv. I’m here.” He reached over to get some ice, running a cool hand through Xander’s hair, heart breaking as he looked into those brown eyes. “How do you feel?” Everything else faded away, only Xander mattered, only Xander remained.

“Like I got stabbed,” came the faint voice, a small smile crossing his lips. Spike just stared down at him. “Hey, give me a break, not at my best here.” He reached over, taking his lover’s hand.

Xander just stared into Spike’s eyes. He hurt. Everywhere. All over. The incision in his chest burned, his ribs ached with every breath. He could feel where his father had ripped into him. It didn’t matter. He was holding Spike’s hand, feeling Spike’s fingers in his hair, hearing the quiet purring rolling down. Happiness spread through him. He thought he had lost them all forever.

He gradually became aware that the room was filled, that the rest of the gang was there, that there were some strange men still fighting with Buffy.

“Spike, what’s going on?”

“Some stupid gits who want to talk to you. Slayer will make them go away.” Spike continued to smooth his hands over every part of Xander he could touch, careful not to pull any of the wires or tubes that still covered Xander’s body. “Do you hurt, do you want the doctor?”

“No, I’m fine.” He heard a snort at that. “Ok, not fine, but you know.” He swallowed, needing to know, but not wanting to ask. “You know what happened.” A statement.

“Yes. Do you know they shot him?” Spike’s eyes flashed yellow at the look of shame that suddenly crossed Xander’s face, the scent of it striking him. Spike took a calming breath, the unnecessary action focusing his attention away from the rage that still burned him.

“Is he alive?”

“Yes. Not for long.” The promise of it rang strong in Spike’s voice. Xander just nodded.

He looked up to see the two men still engaged in a furious battle with Buffy. He smiled again, the men seemed surprised that such a little thing was so effective at keeping them away. “Who are they?”

Spike just glanced up, uncaring. “Some wankers from the police, want to talk to you. Told them to sod off.” He spared another second to make sure that the Slayer was still holding them back. Good. **Knew she had some use.**

Xander nodded again then tried to sit up, a wave of pain hitting him as he did so. **That’s not a good idea.** “Um, Spike, what did they want to know?”

“Don’t know. Don’t care.”

“Spike, I’m going to have to talk to them,” Xander sighed. This was not going to go well, he was so tired, still a little hazy from all the medicine. However, the sooner he got it over with, the sooner it would be done.

“No,” Spike began. There was no way in hell that he was going to let them upset Xander, not now, not while those dark circles were under his eyes, that tube still under his nose, that thin line of blood visible where the incision had ripped open Xander’s chest. “No fucking way.”

“Spike, look I don’t want to do this either, but you know I have to, they’ll just keep bothering us if I don’t. Besides,” a small smile again crossed his face. “I’m still kinda drugged up, won’t remember it later I bet.” **Liar, liar, pants on fire.** The feel of his father’s hands throwing him into the wall, the sound of his father’s voice, the sick look of triumph on his father’s face when he raised the knife, the sound of it sinking into his flesh, the pain which had ripped him in two, the utter shock as his blood gushed out of his body, the agony of knowing, knowing that he would never touch Spike again, never get to say his name, never tell him he loved him, never again, all were burned into him. He would never forget that.

“No.” There was no way that Spike was going to let them upset Xander. No. **So pale, so cold…** “You’re cold, where’s another blanket?” Spike turned his head slightly. “Red, get me a blanket, there’s a luv.”

“Spike,” the vampire turned back, hearing the note of resolution in Xander’s voice. “Stop it. I have to do this. Have to get it over with.”

Spike looked down. He knew that look. The look that said “Hey, you won’t like it. Tough shit. Still doing it.” Spike let out another sigh.

“Fine, pet, but the rest are leaving.” No need to have an audience, besides, Spike knew there would be questions that Xander wouldn’t want to answer quite yet. He knew they would ask about all the past times, knew that Xander would finally have to discuss it, finally have to admit all that happened. It was going to be hard enough without having to tell his friends that way.

“Deal,” Xander nodded shakily. He didn’t want to see the looks on everyone’s faces, couldn’t deal with that quite yet.

“Sure, pet?” At the quick nod, he leaned over, kissed Xander quickly, then stood.

“Right. Well mates, against my better judgment, the whelp there will talk to you. But the rest of you have to leave.” He heard the protests, but ignored them. “Out. Now.” A low growl accompanied the words, making it clear there was no choice.

Giles gathered up the protesting gang, catching Spike’s eye on the way. There was something very wrong here. There was no reason for Spike to throw them all out if Xander was just going to give a statement about what happened. It may be upsetting, but surely Xander wouldn’t want to explain twice. Spike just looked back. Giles frowned. Something was very wrong. Giles heard Spike pull the door shut behind him, blocking out any further questions.




Xander let out a heavy sigh. It had not gone well at all. The detectives were polite, calm but insistent. They made him go through everything that happened over and over, and it had been all Xander could do to keep Spike from trying to rip their throats out. Spike had sat next to him, getting him water, holding his hand, trying to pour his strength into Xander. The worst had been when they had started questioning him about the rape. He didn’t remember it, not really. Once the knife had pierced his flesh, he had collapsed in agony. He vaguely recalled feeling his pants pulled down, but that was about it. But they had kept questioning him, kept pushing him and he had been forced to reveal everything, even things he had never told Spike. He had been very glad at that moment that Spike had turned his back to the men, because the second he mentioned how he could always tell when it was coming by the sound of the footsteps on the stairs, Spike had gone all vamp. The yellow eyes burned into his, a vow of retribution present there. One hand had continued to hold his, but the other had moved to the grasp the arm of the chair. Xander had focused on that hand as he spoke, the years of abuse pouring out of him, watching as Spike slowly crushed the arm, bending the metal into unrecognizable shapes.

When he had finished, he had been handed some business cards. Spike had ushered them out and then returned to his side. Xander had started to cry, but every breath just caused more pain. Spike had held him for a short time before getting a nurse, insisting that they give him some kind of pain medication. The medicine hit him fast and he had fallen into a heavy sleep. Now, he was awake once again and could hear the quiet fight above him.

“Look, Watcher, it’s none of your fucking business.”

“Spike,” the familiar sound of exasperation. “Be realistic. Sooner or later, we are going to find out what happened. It’s obvious that something beyond a simple attack occurred. Once the police press charges, everyone will know. You might as well tell us.”

He heard Spike pacing back and forth. “No. It’s Xander’s decision, it’s his right to tell. And if he doesn’t want to, then you lot had best leave him alone.”

“We aren’t trying to hurt him, we just want to know what happened,” Giles continued, only to be stopped by a vicious growl.

“Too bloody late for that. You lot had your chance for years. Didn’t even notice.”

“Notice what,” a huge sigh came from Giles. “Really, this secrecy is ridiculous. Whatever it is can’t be that bad.”

A disgusted snort. “Fucking humans. Think you know all about evil. You don’t know the half of it. Think you’re so smart. Can’t even see what’s right in front of you.”

“Spike, what ARE you talking about?” The confusion was evident.

“As I already said, none of your fucking business, Watcher. Get out.”

“No.”

Xander finally forced his eyes open, unable to listen any longer.

“Will you two shut up already?” Once again, Spike instantly came to his side. “What’s going on?” He looked over, Giles and Spike were the only ones in the room. “Where’d everybody go?”

Giles moved over and looked down. “I sent them to get something to eat. How are you feeling?”

“Like I was stabbed, covered that already.” Xander looked back up. “What’s going on?”

“That git!”

“Xander, I am just concerned.”

“Bloody ponce!”

“Now, there is no need…”

Xander interrupted again. “Guys, focus here. What’s the fight about?”

Spike turned back to Xander, shooting one last nasty glance over to Giles.

“They want to know what happened, won’t take no for an answer.”

“Xander, it’s more than that. It is obvious that this is something more than a random robbery or the like. We just want to know what truly happened.”

The concern was evident in Giles voice. He had not been able to get any information in the few hours that had passed. The police had finally told him that an arrest had been made, but they would say nothing else. However, he had found something which made his blood run cold. He had returned to the room after the detectives left and had entered when he saw Spike leave to get a nurse. Spike had left the cards sitting on a side table and Giles picked one up. A name and then one other line. Special crimes section. Giles felt his heart stop. He knew what that euphemism was used to describe. Rape and sexual abuse investigations. He had slipped out of the room, then sent the rest out for food, telling them that Xander was asleep anyway. He had come back to confront Spike when Xander had stopped them.

“Whatever it is, you can tell us, you know.” Giles removed his glasses, pinching the bridge of his nose. He had no idea how to handle this.

Spike’s head shot up, catching some faint undercurrent to the words. “Watcher, get out. Need to talk to my mate here in private for a minute.” Spike tried leering, figuring maybe those oh so perceptive eyes would mistake his intentions.

Giles nodded, not fooled in the least. “I’ll be right outside.”

Spike turned back to Xander, fussing with the pillows, making sure that Xander was comfortable. Xander put up with it for a minute, enjoying the attention, before he grasped Spike’s wrist.

“Spike, what’s wrong, there’s something, just tell me. Are you mad that I didn’t tell you all that stuff before,” tears began to spill down his cheeks.

“Bloody hell, no.” Spike placed his hands on either side of Xander’s face, gently pulling Xander’s head up to see his eyes. “No, I’m not mad at you. I’m going to destroy that fucking waste of flesh, but you have nothing to be ashamed about, nothing to worry about.” Spike dropped quick kisses on Xander’s head, aching to pull him into his arms.

“Stupid wires, can’t even hold you properly, hate fucking hospitals.” Spike closed his eyes, gathering his courage. This had to be done. “The police called earlier while you were asleep. They arrested that bastard. He’s going in front of a judge tomorrow. They are charging him with several things, attempted murder, breaking and entering, rape.” He steeled himself. **Now the hard part.** “They expect it to be on TV, in the papers and the like.” Spike felt the waves of anger, pain, shame and humiliation begin to pour from Xander.

“Everyone will know,” Xander’s eyes went wide. “Fuck, everyone will know, they’ll know, oh fuck.” **Hate me, know, hate me, dirty, hate me, know, know, leave me, hate me, dirty, dirty, dirty…** He began to shake as the shame burned him. “Everyone will know, have to leave, everyone will know.” He began to pant, ignoring the pain, the world going dark, blackness filling in the corners of his eyes. He began to unconsciously run his right wrist along the edge of the bed, needing the friction, needing the pain, feeling the IV begin to pull from his hand.

Spike hissed and then gently reached down and took Xander’s hands in his own, stopping the motion. Grief spilled over him, watching Xander pull further and further inside, watching him slip away, watching Xander lose everything they had fought so hard to gain.

“Xander, look at me.”

Xander just shook his head, closing his eyes tighter. **Can’t look, no, hate me, dirty, hate me…**

“Xander, please,” Spike’s voice broke, “Please, look at me. I love you. You didn’t do anything, you didn’t make him do this, you didn’t cause this. I love you. Always love you. Please, just please,” a hand reached up to caress the side of Xander’s face, the other still holding Xander’s right hand, trying to still the motion. “Please.”

It was the sound of pain in that last word that finally snapped Xander out of his thoughts, the sound of his own agony reflected there. “You, you love me, even after everything,” Xander’s throat closed and he took a shaky breath. “After everything, you love me?”

Spike just nodded unable to speak. He didn’t need to, the expression on his face revealing the truth.

Xander leaned up as far as he could and just managed to capture Spike’s lips with his own. Crushing them together, he began to kiss Spike with everything he had, ignoring the pain his actions caused. Spike responded in kind, the events of the last day destroying them both, burning them down until only this was left. Pain, rage, terror, hatred, love, longing, all were there, all mingling with the taste of salt and blood as the tears poured down both their cheeks. Finally, Xander was forced to pull away, forced to gulp in the air.

Spike leaned him back, letting Xander regain control. Xander’s breathing finally calmed, and he let out a small laugh.

“Surprised they didn’t come in when the heart monitor went nuts like that.”

Spike chuckled back, awed as always by the way Xander’s sense of humor survived everything. “Probably would have if it wasn’t for the camera.”

He quirked an eyebrow as Xander’s head tilted up to see that, sure enough, there was a camera over the bed. A smile slowly worked its way across Xander’s lips. **Hmmmm, camera.**

“So, there’s a camera over the bed. That could be fun. Spike, ever wanted to be in a porno?” The grin widened. He had tasted the truth of Spike’s words. Spike loved him, cherished him, didn’t think anything was wrong with him, thought he was pure.

Spike opened his mouth in shock and then smirked. “What makes you think I’m not already?” Xander grinned back. The smiles slowly faded as they heard footsteps in the hall.

“I have to tell them, don’t I?”

“Yes.” Spike moved down from his perch on the side of the bed. “Do you want me to do it?” Anything, he would do anything Xander asked.

“No, I will.” A deep breath, then Xander nodded. “I know just where to begin.”




Xander watched as everyone trooped back in, Buffy, Willow and Anya all coming over to kiss him gently on the cheek, Tara shyly waving and Giles just standing at the foot of the bed. Spike was now standing next to him, unable to sit. Giles looked over, seeing the tension coiling in Spike. Spike nodded.

“Ask away. You won’t like the answers.” The quiet words cut through the chattering in the room.

Giles just nodded. “Xander, why don’t you tell us what happened.”

A quick glance up to see Spike standing there, still but for the clenching of the muscles along his jaw. Xander took in one more breath then started, determined to get this all out at once.

“Ok, but it’s not a simple story. And no interruptions, have to do this once.” Another look up, a quick squeeze of Spike’s hand.

“Buffy, remember you asked how Deadboy and I hooked up? Didn’t quite tell you the truth. Right after Anya and I broke up, Spike stopped over to see me one night. He found me lying in a pool of blood in the bathroom. My father had beaten me pretty badly.” He heard the shocked gasps. He had decided not to tell them the entire truth, he couldn’t deal with that right now. There was no need to reveal everything just yet. “Spike got Willy to send a doctor to fix me up then he moved in with me to make sure that I wasn’t hurt again. Well, that night we told you I was mugged, that wasn’t exactly true, it was my father again. That’s when Spike told me I had to move and we left the next day. Then, about a week ago, we ran into my father at Wal-Mart, he saw us kissing, went nuts. Last night, **only a day ago, feels like forever** I was studying, sent Spike for coffee, heard the elevator, thought it was Spike, went to the door. It was my father, he threw me into the wall, called me a faggot, said, said, I was a disgrace, that he should have killed me a long time ago, then he stabbed me.” Xander stopped, out of breath from having run through it all so quickly.

He looked up to see the shock on everyone’s faces. It was Buffy who managed to speak first.

“Your father, your father did this to you,” her voice rose steadily. “Your fucking father, that bastard,” Buffy shook, furious. His father. His father.

Willow looked up, tears streaming down her face. “He hit you, did he always hit you, why didn’t you tell me, could have done something,” her breath began to hitch. How could she not have known.

Spike just watched them, waiting for the question, seeing it in the Watcher’s eyes.

“Xander, I am so sorry,” Giles voice came quietly drifting down. “I don’t understand though, why didn’t Spike just take you to hospital that first night? Why go through Willy, why not call us?” He heart was heavy, knowing the answer, sending prayers to every god he could recall that he was wrong.

Xander closed his eyes, unable to look at them as he said the words. “Because my father didn’t just beat me. He raped me, too.”

Dead silence. Then howling, the voices mingling. Buffy’s, Willow’s, Anya’s. A loud snap as something snapped in two. Through it all, Spike’s hand in his, grasping tightly, giving him strength.

“Raped you, he raped you, oh goddess, Xander,” Willow grasping his other hand. He forced open his eyes, seeing the agony on her face. “Xander, why didn’t you tell me, why didn’t you tell us, that’s horrible, how could he have done that,” Xander saw the realization hit her and saw her knees buckle, saw Tara rush to catch her as she fell.

“Not the first time, Xander, why didn’t you…” Willow began to shake. Best friend, her best friend, known him forever, part of her and she never knew. How could she not know.

“How long?” Buffy’s voice. Cold, clipped, insane. Xander forced himself to meet her eyes. They looked like Spike’s had that night, so long ago, when Spike had come racing into the basement. Absolutely burning hatred. Utter rage. Pure vengeance.

“Since I was eleven.”

Willow’s sobbing grew even harder, Tara trying desperately to calm her, to get her to breathe. Eleven. The words pounded into her. Eleven. All those years.

Spike just watched them, part of him enjoying the scene. They deserved this. Deserved to have their world destroyed, deserved to suffer for their blindness. Deserved to pay for their crime. They never saw, never wanted to see. Another part of Spike protested. That wasn’t true, they hadn’t seen because Xander hadn’t wanted them to see. Spike ruthlessly shut that part of his mind down. It didn’t matter. They had hurt what was his. Now they hurt in turn. It was only right.

Giles moved to stand in front of Spike. “You knew.” Blunt accusation.

“Yes, walked into the middle of it. Tried to kill the bastard but couldn’t. Fucking chip. Managed to slam him into the wall at least.” Spike’s voice was as cold as the Slayer’s.

“Why didn’t you say something?” Giles lashed out, trying desperately to find someone, anyone else to blame. It all made sense now. Xander’s jumpiness, the use of humor as a shield, the way he never talked about his family, the curious lack of self-preservation. He should have known. Maybe he had known but ignored it.

“Asked me not to. So I didn’t. Wouldn’t have now but it’s all going to come out.”

Giles slowly backed away, knowing Spike was telling the truth. Buffy quickly moved to take his place. They eyed each other levelly, silently reaching an agreement. Buffy turned to Xander, reaching out to take his hand.

“Xander, I’m sorry, I’m so terribly sorry,” Buffy stopped as the tears filled her eyes. No. She would weep later, now was not the time. “Just know this one thing. He will pray to die before Spike and I are through with him. He will beg and beg and we will show no mercy. I’m sure that Spike knows just how to keep him alive and, if not, I’m equally sure that Willow will find some spell. He will pay and pay dearly. I swear to you. I will not rest until I taste his blood. I will kill him for you.” The words rang in the room.

“No,” Xander started.

“Don’t give me the whole you’re the Slayer you can’t kill humans bit. That, that thing,” she spat the words out. “That thing isn’t human. I would go find him and do it now but I want to make it last and last.”

“No.” Xander said again. “No, you won’t kill him.” An evil grin spread across his face. “I have a much better idea.”




Part Fourteen

“Spike, for gods sake, will you just sit down?”

Xander let out a sigh as he watched Spike pace across the room for the 463rd time that evening. It had been six days since Xander had been attacked and he was finally beginning to feel somewhat better. Enough so that Spike’s incessant pacing was driving him slowly insane. **Yeah, and imagine how he must feel.**

Spike had refused to leave the room the entire time Xander had been there. Luckily, Dr. O’Rourke had arranged for Xander to be roomed in what obviously was some type of suite. There was a main room with Xander’s bed, three chairs, a few small tables and a couch. A large bathroom was off to the side and then a separate bedroom with a regular bed, a few more chairs, a television and a large closet. Since Xander had woken that first day, Spike had remained at Xander’s side, moving only to get a nurse or when one the doctors made him move so Xander could be examined. Spike slept in a chair next to Xander’s bed, always holding his hand, or running his fingers through Xander’s hair, or standing at the foot of the bed with an arm resting lightly on Xander’s leg. Xander had finally gotten him to let go that morning by promising to let Spike wash his hair later that night. Spike had a thing for washing his hair and Xander had to admit that he liked it too. Now, Spike was pacing back and forth, watching Xander the entire time. It was as if Spike was terrified that Xander would disappear if Spike let go, if he took his eyes off Xander for even one moment.

Xander’s eyes grew wide at the thought. He looked up, realizing how gaunt Spike had become, how tired those eyes were, how Spike seemed even paler than usual. **His fault, he thinks it’s his fault.** Xander felt his throat close as he realized the truth. This had to be dealt with, he couldn’t stand Spike thinking he bore any fault for what had occurred.

“Spike, seriously, would you come over here, sit down, I want to talk to you about something.”

“Of course, luv, are you all right, do you need something, isn’t it almost time for your medication again, do you need something to drink?” Spike heard himself fussing but he couldn’t stop. He had failed. He had promised to keep Xander safe and he had failed. This was all he could do now, try to make everything safe, try to keep Xander comfortable, distract him, try to make the pain go away.

Xander reached down and grabbed Spike’s hands as they skimmed over his body, checking that everything was ok, that all the hated wires and tubes were secure.

“No, Spike, stop it. I want to talk to you about something.” Xander grasped the hands tightly, waiting for Spike to meet his gaze.

“Yes, pet, what is it? Do you need something, I can have the Watcher or Red go for whatever it is. You must be bloody bored out of your mind, do you want some books, or some music,” again the almost frantic litany of options, the listing of things that Spike would do. The desperation of it hit Xander, the fear clear in the worried tones.

“No. Spike, I want to ask you something. Do you think this is your fault? Do you think that you let me down somehow, that you could have done something to prevent this?” Xander kept his voice quiet, grasping Spike’s hands in his, knowing that Spike would try to pull away.

Spike stared back for a moment, then his head dropped. Finally, Xander had asked, finally he had realized what he had done, finally he would make Spike leave, would lash out for the broken promises, for the protection which Spike could never give. His hands began to shake as he tried to pull away.

“Yes.” Spike could barely force the word out, but the truth of it burnt the air. He continued to look down, not wanting to meet Xander’s gaze, unwilling to see the betrayal that would reside there.

“Spike, Spike, look at me.” Xander continued to hold on, knowing exactly what Spike was thinking, seeing the pain in the profile of Spike’s face. “Spike, please. It’s not your fault, there was nothing you could have done. I was the one who asked you to go out, I was the one who opened the door without seeing who was there first.”

Xander swallowed hard at that. Since the night they first had their friends over, they had been getting regular visitors to their apartment. Spike had arranged for cameras both at the entrance to the elevator on the ground level and again at their front door. He had told Xander over and over to never let anyone in until he saw who it was first. Xander had just laughed, amused as always by the lengths to which Spike would go to protect him.

“I heard the elevator, thought it was you and just opened the door. If I had looked like you told me to, I would never have let him in, Spike, if it’s anyone’s fault, it’s mine.” Xander heard a sudden hiss as Spike’s head shot up.

“Never say that. How can you think that; this is not your fault, none of it is your fault. That motherfucker came after you and you did nothing, do you hear me, nothing to make him.” Spike’s voice shook with rage and pain. “No, I won’t stand for this. You always try to make everything somehow your fault, this isn’t. It isn’t, it’s mine, I left you, I should have known, I promised he would never hurt you and he did, I’m sorry, please, forgive me, please don’t make me leave.” Spike’s voice grew weaker as he visibly began to shake. “Please, I’ll do anything, just don’t leave me.” His head dropped to the bed. “Don’t leave me, couldn’t bear it, everything, don’t…” His voice trailed off as Spike began to weep, the fear and pain of the last week pouring out of him.

Xander just ran his hand through Spike’s soft hair. Now it was his turn to comfort, his turn to be strong, his turn to provide an anchor for the pain. It had worried him that Spike had tried to seem so strong, so resolute. It was one thing for him to be that way when the others were present, Xander understood that. Spike did not like to reveal how vulnerable he could truly be, still needed to appear to be the heartless bastard that the others knew and loathed. But, even when they were alone, even when Xander had woken screaming from the nightmares that plagued him, Spike had remained calm. Other than that first night, Spike had not shown any release for the anger and fear that Xander knew was still in Spike. Knew because it was still in him as well. Xander managed to tug on Spike enough to pull his head onto Xander’s shoulder.

“Shh, it’s over, it’s all over. I’m going to be fine. I will never leave you. I can’t leave you, I’m yours remember. Spike, open your eyes, look down, see, that’s your mark there, I’m yours, always yours. It’s not my fault either, there was nothing either of us could have done, shh, it’s all right.” Xander ran his hands along Spike’s back, sending up a quick prayer of thanks that he could finally move, a little anyway. He had been allowed to sit up just in the last few days and slowly but surely the various machinery was being disconnected. “Shh, that’s right, let it out, it’s fine, I’m fine, love you, not mad at you, never mad at you, you did everything you could, nothing else you could have done, shh.”

They stayed like that for a long time, Spike’s sobbing letting off some then starting again as Spike thought of how close he had come to losing Xander. Finally, Spike managed to lift his head. He needed to see Xander’s eyes, needed to know that the words were true. Xander still loved him, even though he had failed.

“Xander, I’m sorry. Please, forgive me.”

Xander just crushed Spike into him, pulling as close as they could, Spike still careful to lean away from the wound that ran down the center of Xander’s chest.

“Nothing to forgive. I love you. Stop being such a bloody idiot; turning into your brooding Sire there.” Xander whispered the words, a small smile crossing his lips. Spike loved it when Xander talked like him. And he knew the immediate reaction any mention of Angel would provoke.

“Don’t compare me to that bloody pouf.” The response came like clockwork, causing Xander’s smile to widen. “I love you too, don’t deserve you,” again the waver in Spike’s voice, but the usual amusement beginning to return as well. “Turning me into a girl here, whelp, leaking about all over the place.

Xander just grinned at that. “Yeah, nancy boy.”

“Idiot.”

“Wanker.”

“Moron.”

“Ponce.”

“Prick.”

Xander paused for a second, trying to remember any of Spike’s other favorite insults when he felt cool lips press into his. He leaned into the kiss eagerly, needing this connection, feeling some semblance of normalcy return between them. He opened his mouth, sliding a tongue across Spike’s lips. He felt Spike’s mouth open to him and he eagerly plunged his tongue into that cool mouth, drawing Spike’s tongue into his own. He moaned, needing this, wanting this, the taste driving him insane. His grip on Spike’s back tightened, drawing him closer. Xander’s hands began to wander down Spike’s back, moving lower and lower. He felt Spike’s hands tangle in his hair, knew that Spike longed to caress him as well. **Fucking hospitals.** The thought crossed both their minds at the same time as the kiss changed. Not comforting. Not claiming. Not relearning each other’s taste. No, it was needful, lustful, the desire burning into them both. Xander pulled back, gulping in air, then leaned back into that mouth, desire rising strong between them.

Spike suddenly yanked away, shaky breaths coming from him as well. He locked eyes with Xander, trying to calm them both.

“Bloody hell, want you.” The words forced their way past his lips despite his effort to stop them.

“Tell me about it,” came the wry reply as Xander tried to stop his hands from moving further down Spike’s back, trying to stop them from pulling Spike’s shirt out from the waist of his jeans, trying to stop them from running along that flat, flat stomach. His hands, however, appeared to have a mind of their own.

A gasp came from Spike and he closed his eyes, feeling the heat of Xander’s touch burn him.

“Christ, Xan, what are you doing?” He tried to pull away, but Xander held him firm.

“Not too sure. Want you though, fuck, what’s the use of having this great bed that moves for you if you can’t use it,” the words were muttered into Spike’s lips as Xander leaned back up.

“Can’t be good for your stitches,” Spike managed to get out with the few seconds of control he had remaining.

“I know, been thinking about this though, had an idea.” With that, Xander plunged his hand down the front of Spike’s jeans, having managed to get the zipper down by distracting Spike by sucking on his neck. He needed this, had to have Spike in some way. He grasped the hard length and began to stroke, slowly and surely.

Spike’s head fell back. **Fuck, taught him too bloody well by half!** “Xander, what if someone comes in… Oh, that, again, oh hell.”

Xander drank in the sight above him, watching the emotions play on that beautiful face. “Let them, my boyfriend, do what I want, my room, their fault for coming in.”

Xander continued his long, sure strokes, feeling the tension building, knowing that Spike wouldn’t be able to hold back for long. He quickened his pace, swiping his thumb over the soft skin of Spike’s tip, just how Spike liked, exactly what he wanted, just what they both needed. He watched as Spike’s face rippled, the ridges coming out, then felt the shudder go through his love, felt the cold liquid pour down his hands, heard the broken words.

“Xan, love, hell, always,” Spike panted, unable to finish a thought, the pleasure crashing through him. He managed to stay standing only by propping one arm along the wall. He watched, hazy eyed, as Xander placed him back in his jeans then zipped him back up.

Slowly, deliberately, Xander lifted his hand to his lips, then wrapped his tongue around his finger, licking it clean. Spike felt his cock twitch again at the sight.

“Mmmm, much better than hospital food.” He grinned as he looked up, Spike’s eyes still hazy. “You better get cleaned up, don’t want to be too obvious,” he began.

Spike suddenly leaned down and captured Xander’s mouth in his. This time they were calmer, gentler, Spike licking his taste out of Xander’s mouth.

“Sure thing, pet, won’t be the same without you. However, still have some unfinished business.” Now it was Spike’s hands that moved carefully down Xander’s body, reaching over to grasp Xander’s erection. Gently, he began to stroke up and down, a slow but strong rhythm, careful not to jar Xander too much.

Xander’s eyes closed, lips parting and his tongue running along his lower lip. “Spike,” a low moan. **So good, so good…** “Spike, just, careful, you know.”

A low chuckle. “Don’t worry, pet, don’t want the doctors yelling at me.” Spike resumed the steady pace, drawing it out. Finally, Xander felt his orgasm coming, felt it crash into him, felt the strong hands holding his hips so that he wouldn’t jar anything, felt a cool tongue lean down and lick him clean.

Spike moved back up, dropped a quick kiss on Xander’s temple, seeing that Xander had already fallen into a light sleep. He slipped into the bathroom and Xander faintly heard the shower begin as he surfaced back to consciousness for a moment. He smiled then fell back to sleep.




“What do you mean, another week?” The words were yelped out in unison, the frustration apparent in both voices.

Dr. O’Rourke took a deep breath, knowing they wouldn’t like the news. “Xander, you’re healing very nicely, everything looks great, but, still, you went through a significant traumatic event, followed by a major surgery. We just want to make sure that everything is fine before we send you home. We don’t want you coming back here, now, do we?” The voice was eminently reasonable, the logic impeccable.

A low rumble came from Spike. “Stupid git.”

A small smile crossed the surgeon’s face. Looked like the vampire had some sense, at least, and wasn’t trying to convince him to let his patient out early. It was obvious that the two of them were slowly going insane stuck here in this room.

“Xander, you’ve only been allowed to get out of bed for what, three days now, you’re still very weak. You are not up to any strenuous activity.” A harsh glare at the both of them. He didn’t want to think about what the two of them might be considering trying now that Xander had been allowed to walk. Two sets of completely innocent eyes looked back at him. **This isn’t good.**

“Doctor, I’m perfectly aware of my limitations.” Xander managed to keep the grin off his face and out of his voice only with a huge effort. “Trust me, I’m not doing anything strenuous.”

“Of course not, pet, you let me do all the work.” Spike smirked over, and Xander couldn’t help smirking back. That was true, Spike had been very gentle, very cautious, they hadn’t done anything more than kiss and touch one another.

Dr. O’Rourke just sighed and rolled his eyes to the ceiling. “Just, try to keep it under control, gentlemen. Try not to shock the nurses.” He regretted the words the second they left his mouth.

“Don’t know about that, mate, I think they would rather appreciate the show. See enough with that camera, now, don’t they?” Spike grinned up at him, thoroughly enjoying the blush that was stealing up the man’s face. “What about it, luv, don’t you think they appreciate it?”

“I know I would,” came the amused reply.

The doctor just shook his head. “Look, one week. Then you can go home.” With that he fled the room.

Xander and Spike grinned at each other, excitement building. One week, one week and they could go home. Spike’s eyes narrowed at that a little, and he glanced over at the clock. 8:15 p.m.

“Pet, I’ve got somewhere I have to be.”

Xander’s eyes widened at that, Spike had pretty much refused to leave the room until the day before, when he had left for about an hour while Xander was receiving respiratory therapy. He still had problems taking deep breaths due to the depth of the stab wound.

“Oh, that’s fine, when will you be back?” Xander tried to keep the worry out of his voice. Spike quickly leaned down and kissed him on the forehead.

“About an hour, maybe an hour and a half, not quite sure. Do you want me to call when I’m on my way back?” He traced a finger down Xander’s cheek, calming his lover.

“Please, I’ll feel better. Where are you going?” Xander cursed himself. **Acting like a child, probably going to kill something, make him feel better.**

“It’s a surprise,” came the reply. Spike leaned down, kissed Xander’s cheek then left.




One week later

Spike took one last look around the hated room, making sure they had everything. Buffy and Willow had already checked, moving the stacks of books and the other various and sundry items that had accumulated over the two weeks Xander had spent in the hospital. **Clothes, books, cds, my lighter.** The room was empty. He moved back to the door and took Xander’s hand.

“Right, let’s get the fuck out of here,” Xander said, dying to leave. He felt much better, still weak, but better. The incision had healed well, but was still sore to touch. His stamina wasn’t very good, but he had been given a clean bill of health. He wasn’t allowed to return to classes yet and he and Spike had received a fairly incoherent lecture from Dr. O’Rourke, the gist of which seemed to be that resuming sex was fine just not to overdue it. Which was very, very bad news because all Xander could think about was getting Spike into bed. Not just for sex, he craved to feel Spike’s arms around him as he slept.

“Right.” Spike tossed one last look back over his shoulder, then they walked out, joining the rest of the gang waiting to see Xander off. They moved down the hall, Willow taking his other hand. They reached the elevator and Xander ceremoniously pushed the button for the ground floor. They walked out into the night and Xander grinned when he saw his Jeep sitting parked right in front of the building.

“So, I get to drive,” he started happily for the door, but was gently pulled back.

“Not exactly, pet.” Spike settled him into the passenger’s side, buckling him up as everyone else piled into the back.

Spike carefully pulled away and Xander suppressed a grin. Usually, driving with Spike was an adventure, but now he was cautiously signaling and turning left. Left.

“Um, Spike, where are we going, the apartment’s the other way.”

“Is it?” Spike continued driving, a smile tugging at the corner of his lips.

“Spike, what are you up to?” Xander knew what that smile meant and it usually meant no good.

Spike just shrugged, as he made a turn off to the right. Xander quickly became lost as they took a few more turns in rapid succession. Xander realized they were now in one of the nicer neighborhoods of Sunnydale.

“Spike,” very quietly, very calmly. “Where the hell are you going?”

Spike just grinned as he pulled to a stop in front of a gated driveway.

“Home.” With that, he leaned out the window and punched the security code into the box next to the gate. The gate swung open and Spike pulled in, pausing to make sure the gate latched behind them.

Xander shot another glance over as they curved around some tall trees. Then, he saw the house. A long, low Spanish style ranch house greeted his gaze, lush plantlife running along the driveway which curved to a circle in front of the house, a small fountain in the center. The landscaping continued along the front of the house, small spotlights shining up. Spike gently pulled the car to a stop in front of the door and looked over, beaming.

“Surprise.”

Stunned silence filled the Jeep. Xander just stared.

“When, why, Christ, Spike,” he finally started, having no idea what to say.

Spike just laughed, got out of the car and walked around the front, pulling Xander’s door open. He helped Xander out, then slung an arm across his shoulders.

“No fucking way you were ever going back to that place,” Spike whispered quietly in Xander’s ear. “Thought you might like a change of scenery, pet. Saw this place awhile ago, thought you might like it.” That part said loudly, for the sake of their friends who were spilling out from the back.

That was true, he had an eye on this house since he first came across it during one of his late night prowls a few months before. It had been empty and some demons had been living there. After Spike killed them, he had wandered through the house, admiring the spaciousness and proportions of the rooms. He had known, as soon as he had been assured that Xander would be fine, that they would not be returning to the apartment. He couldn’t bear the thought of it and he would never allow Xander to be reminded of what had happened. He made some calls, arranged for the purchase, for the furnishings, to have them moved, again amused by how the promise of cash could ease anything.

The rest of the group stood there, openmouthed.

“Spike, goddess, this is beautiful, is this really yours?” Willow said, looking at the house.

“Sure is, Red, why, you like?” Spike grinned down at her, seeing the confusion in all their faces.

“Seriously, Spike, how did you do this?” Buffy’s slightly awed voice next to him. “Where did you get the money, you did buy this, right?” Buffy’s eyes narrowed at that. “Thought you were broke.”

Xander began to laugh at that, then Spike joined in until they were leaning against the Jeep, nearly falling into each other.

“Not exactly, Buff. Blondie here is a bit of a liar. You should see the portfolio on him. And I don’t mean that in a sexual way.” Xander managed to gasp out, grabbing his side. “Ow, don’t make me laugh like that.”

Giles shot them a look. He had had his suspicions about that. “Well, it is lovely.” He turned, noticing for the first time that a low wall surrounded the property with what appeared to be newly installed electrical wires at the top.

“C’mon, luv, don’t you want to see inside.” Spike grinned, pleased with himself. If the Jeep had been a good idea, then this, this was a fabulous idea. They moved up the steps and Spike handed Xander the keys with a bow.

“After you.”

Xander felt like his face was going to split in two from the grin he knew was plastered there. He opened the door, eyes widening when he saw chandelier hanging down, saw that the house was fully furnished. Turning back, he pulled Spike in after him, noticing that Spike entered with no hesitation. **Of course not, idiot, his house, our house, already been invited.**

“Come on in,” he called to the others, Spike shooting him an amused glance. They came in, jaws again dropping at the sight of the house. They had entered into a large open entrance hall with a peaked cathedral ceiling. Hanging down was a chandelier, its arms spreading out, appearing to hold candles on the ends. The floor was tiled in a colorful red and yellow sunburst pattern. Low benches ran along one wall with doorways heading in all directions. They could see that there was another set of doors on the other side, leading into the back yard.

Anya wandered off to the right, shaking her head. She always knew Spike had taste, he was with Xander after all, but this was so unexpected. Everyone followed her as she stepped down a step into a large living room. Again, it was fully furnished, a soft ivory couch running in a curve along one wall, a low glass table in front of it, plants everywhere, end tables with small lamps casting a warm glow, the television against the wall in front of them. She noticed absently that heavy curtains were on the windows, then resumed her study of the room. Three smaller leather chairs in the same ivory faced the couch. A bar ran along the far wall with a pool table in front of it. A small bathroom was set in a corner next to the bar. Willow let out a low exclamation of delight.

Buffy walked through the next doorway, coming into the large dining room. A long table ran the length of the room, the dark wood in contrast to the lightness of the walls. Three lights hung from the ceiling, illuminating the small flower arrangements set on the table. Continuing forward, she entered the kitchen. She flipped on the light and stepped back, startled. It looked like something from a magazine. The kitchen was bright and cheery, the same red and yellow tile scheme continuing through here. A central island with stools was in the center, with a huge, professional looking stove behind it. A large, three-basin sink was off to one side of the stove, while a coffee maker sat on the counter on the other side. Off to the right was a breakfast area, with a bay window, again with heavy curtains, a bench seat running under the window with a table in front of it. The refrigerator was off to the right, blending into the cabinets. A rack hung over the island, with pots and pans hanging down. It looked like Emeril was going to come out and start cooking any minute.

“Xander, Spike, wow, this is, wow, too bad you don’t cook.”

“Actually, Slayer, I’m quite the cook,” came the amused response behind her as Spike pulled a speechless Xander in behind him. Buffy just shot him a look. “Well, I am. I would tell you to ask the whelp here, but, well, cat’s got his tongue.”

Spike couldn’t help it. He was thrilled. He had finally gotten a chance to find a place appropriate for Xander and it appeared that his friends were suitably impressed. **About time they realized how he should be treated.** He gently tugged Xander around. “Want to see the bedrooms?” He leered suggestively, earning him a whap.

“Yes, but later for the rest,” Xander said, finally breaking out of his stupor. He could not believe the house, could not believe it was his. Could not believe Spike had found the time to do this.

“Spike, when did you do all this,” he asked as Spike herded everyone back to the other end of the house.

“You were asleep a lot and, well, that’s why they invented the telephone. Can do anything by phone nowadays.” **Especially when you know the right people.** Spike had ended up calling in a few favors, but it was worth it. The hardest part had been trusting that it would be decorated properly, but he was relieved to see that Cordelia had been right in her recommendation. Passing through the entranceway, they entered a long hallway. Two bedrooms were to the left, a large bathroom connecting the two. Another bedroom with an attached bath was on their right. Then a study, bookshelves lining the wall, a desk facing the windows into the backyard, the computer glowing softly. Next, a larger room, set up as a training area, various pieces of exercise equipment grouped around a large mat with a heavy bag in the corner. Finally, Spike stopped as they reached the end of the hall.

“Right, our rooms, no need for you to see that.” Ignoring the protests he cocked his head. “Wouldn’t you rather go out back and see the pool? Oh, and did I fail to mention that there’s a hot tub.” He watched as they took off back down the hall, Xander following. Spike started to follow when he felt a hand fall on his shoulder. He looked up to see Giles staring at him.

“Spike, this, this is very, well, quite much,” Giles began. “I couldn’t help but notice that there is a wall around the property. And that it seems to be topped by an electric fence.”

Spike just shot a glance over. “Wouldn’t bloody let me put in the moat now, would they?” Giles just looked back, knowing that Spike wasn’t entirely joking. “Nothing will get in here, Watcher. Not while I’m still here.” The words hung in the air.

Nodding, Giles followed Spike back down the hall. “I was sure of that.” They heard a squeal, then a splash. Sighing, Giles shook his head. “Shall we see what the children are up to?”

Walking out the back entrance, they found that Anya had already pushed Willow into the pool with Tara not far behind. Buffy had gone to help them both out, only to find herself tugged in. A huge water fight had ensued and Xander was just standing there, grinning madly. Spike walked behind him, wrapping his arms around his lover’s waist.

“So, do you like?” Spike quietly asked, a little concerned.

His only response was a soft kiss on the cheek. They stood, watching as the splashing continued.




They were finally alone. Spike and Xander had taken them back to the hospital to pick up Giles’s car. Then, they had returned to the house, Xander paying closer attention to where they were going. They pulled back in and Xander found his heart in his throat once again as they pulled in front of the house. He owned a house. He OWNED a HOUSE. He had never even considered the possibility. They sat there for a moment, lost in their thoughts. Finally, Xander leaned over, resting his head on Spike’s shoulder.

“Must love me or something.”

“Something like that.”

“This is, I love it, it’s perfect. I can’t believe you did this.” Xander leaned back up, got out of the car and carefully stretched. They walked back in and, as soon as the door was shut, Xander pinned Spike to the wall.

“Really love, can’t wait to see our rooms, particularly bed,” he rumbled into Spike’s ear as he began to kiss down Spike’s neck, moving directly for the spot halfway down that he knew drove Spike insane.

“Figured you would,” Spike managed to push them off the wall, then down the hall, walking backwards so that he could watch Xander’s face, could lean up for quick kisses. They reached the doors at the end of the hall.

“Close your eyes,” whispered Spike. Xander quickly complied, excitement of all sorts racing through him. Spike pushed the doors opened, then led Xander in.

“Open your eyes, Xander,” Spike gently commanded.

Xander opened his eyes, looking around in awe. Their bed was along the back wall of a large room, lit by soft light coming from the lamps in each corner. Another couch was under windows on the far side, a television next to it, visible from the bed. Dark chests stood along the other walls, with candles on top of the one nearest the bed. Off to the right was a huge walk in closet. Off to the left was the bathroom and Xander could just make out a separate shower and bathtub. His attention, however, was directed almost entirely on the bed.

“This is great, explore it later. Bed now.” Xander pushed Spike across the room, focused only on the almost painful longing to be a part of him. It wasn’t just how long it had been, it was the need to be together, to feel a part of each other, to reassure each other that they were still one.

Spike groaned as Xander pushed him down, relishing this. It had been all he could do not to just throw everyone out, but he wanted to prove to everyone that he was capable of taking care of Xander, that his love was safe with him.

Xander slowly leaned into Spike, covering that cool body with his own, careful to rest on his forearms which were on either side of Spike’s head, still not able to tolerate much pressure on his chest. They kissed long and slow, building the passion gently, carefully. Neither wanted this to be over quickly, they wanted to take their time, to enjoy the luxury of truly being alone.

Spike reached up, running his hands over Xander’s back, the familiar body now thinner, a little more frail. He leaned up and gently turned them on their sides, knowing that Xander’s arms would quickly tire. He moved his mouth down, trailing along Xander’s jawline, down his neck, lingering on the scar from his mark, licking his tongue around the twin wounds. Xander moaned and thrust his hips into Spike’s, their groins coming into contact, their erections straining against each other.

Xander reached his hands under Spike’s shirt, running a flat palm on Spike’s nipple, feeling it immediately harden. He moved his hand down, his other entwined in Spike’s hair, tracing each ripple of Spike’s perfect abdomen. He heard the familiar moan, the automatic tilt of Spike’s hips, relearning the flesh, remembering just where to touch to see Spike’s head tilt, exposing his throat. Xander bent down and began to suck at the hollow of Spike’s throat, feeling Spike’s thrusts quicken, a low growl begin to move through the vampire. Xander leaned back and pulled Spike’s shirt off just as Spike did the same to his own.

Spike pushed Xander flat onto the bed, seeing the clean edge of the incision next to the rougher one from the stab wound. A quick flash of pain glimmered across his features, then Spike bent down and began to slowly lick his way up each wound, taking care not to hurt, but needing to taste, to become part of the pain.

Xander’s eyes closed at the trace of Spike’s tongue. The coolness of it eased the pain, the itching that had started as the scars began to form. The feel of it was driving him mad, the way that Spike was worshipping his body, cleansing the wounds, trying to lap them away. Xander felt himself growing harder and harder, until he was nearly in pain from the tightness against his zipper. He pulled Spike up, kissing him deeply, as he reached down to unbutton Spike’s jeans. Spike took the hint and quickly returned the favor, easing the pressure.

Soon, they were naked, flesh pressing into flesh. They lay there, entwined in one another, lengths pressed together as they cherished just this, just the feel of being in one another’s arms. Soon, too soon, the heat overwhelmed them, and they began to rock together, each touch pushing them further towards completion, tongues circling one another.

Spike pulled back and reached out for his duster. He pulled the small tube out and pressed it into Xander’s hand. Xander took it, then leaned back, looking at Spike. Spike just nodded, then rolled onto his back, pulling his legs to his chest.

Xander opened the tube with shaky hands. Usually, Spike was the one to penetrate him. He was still a little insecure about fucking Spike, not positive he was doing it right, not sure if he was bringing pleasure to the man beneath him, even with Spike’s assurances to the contrary. But something in Spike’s eyes told him he needed this, needed Xander to fill him, needed to know that they were one, needed that connection. Xander carefully reached down, then pressed a finger forward. There was some resistance but not much. Xander watched Spike’s face the entire time, seeing Spike’s eyes begin to haze over, feeling Spike begin to move in time with the rhythm. He searched, found the spot, and was rewarded by the sight of Spike grasping the sheets, knuckles turning white from the pressure.

“There, again, just like that, Xander, Xander,” the words came flowing down from above. Xander pulled out, inserted another finger and began to move just like Spike had told him, just like Spike did to him. Quickly, Spike began to relax beneath him, began to open fully and completely. A third finger entered as Spike began to thrash on the bed, pushing down as Xander’s hand pushed up. Finally, Spike began to beg.

“Xander, in me, please, part of me, need it, need you, love you, please, please, love you.”

With that, Xander placed the tip of his cock against Spike’s opening and entered him, the tightness and the coolness grasping him. Now it was Xander’s head that snapped back, Xander’s voice that broke as he began to move in time with Spike’s rhythm.

“Spike, love you, never leave, love you, part of you, feel me, in you, love you,” the words like music to Spike’s ears. He was impaled, truly impaled. The heat of it burned into every pore of his body, bathing him in its pureness. It was like nothing he had ever known, the feel of it driving through his very being. He craved it, wanting more and more. Spike began to move faster, drawing Xander in deeper and deeper. He cared nothing for his own release, he just wanted this, wanted to feel Xander come deep inside him, wanted to know that Xander was a part of him. Then he felt a warm hand grasp him, felt the pull as Xander pumped in time with their thrusts.

“Together, please together, see you, want to see you,” Xander’s voice panting above him. Spike managed to open his eyes. He saw Xander’s face, contorted in pleasure, the thick dark hair sweaty and falling around his face, the golden skin glowing above him. Spike felt himself begin to slip over the edge, the vision of it combined with the feel of Xander filling him proving too much.

“Can’t wait, now, Xan, love you, Xander,” with a furious cry, Spike came, bucking into Xander’s hand, his muscles clutching the prick buried deep inside him.

With a strangled cry, Xander came, the expression on Spike’s face pulling out his own release. He felt strong hands holding his hips, holding him inside that coolness. He felt himself begin to collapse, only to be caught and gently cradled into Spike’s chest.

“I love you,” he managed to gasp out.

Spike just kissed the top of his head, holding him as tightly as possible. Finally, Xander pulled up, sliding out of Spike, causing a small whimper of protest from his lover. Xander settled into the crook of Spike’s arm, content to his very core.

They lay quietly, both fading off to sleep. Automatically, Xander turned on his side and Spike curled into his back. Xander just hummed, an echoing purr coming from Spike. This, this was what had been missing during those long days in that damn hospital bed.
“Spike…”

“Hmmm,” came the sleepy reply.

“Thanks for the house.”

“Glad you like.”

“Only one thing.”

“What’s that, luv?”

“We’re going to have to have a discussion about exactly what I meant by small gifts.” The grin was apparent in Xander’s voice.

Spike just let out a quiet chuckle, “You should’ve seen the place I really wanted.”

Xander just laughed in return and snuggled in tighter. They quickly drifted off, at peace for the first time in days.




On to Parts 15 - 17



Feedback

Back to “Waiting Here” Main Page

Back to BTVS/AtS FanFic

Back to Adult FanFic

Home