The Morning After

by Heather Hinson

No. I don't own them, wish I did. Yes, it's shippy, and yes, it's E/J.


Sunlight rested on her body, causing her to open her eyes. Knowing there was someone next to her didn't come slowly, or gradually. She'd known even before she'd opened her eyes. It was something her body knew.

Funny, how your body and soul knows what should be even before your mind figures it out, she thought.

She raised slightly to look at him, taking advantage of the fact he was still sleeping.

He was beautiful. His eyes were closed, his lashes brushing slightly against his face, his lips parted slightly in sleep. His blond hair, out of its usual style, but still inviting.

Gently, she brushed the back of her hand against the side of his face, brushing the stray strands of hair away, and trailing her fingers lightly over the contours of his face.

She sighed quietly, smiling. This is where he belonged. Not in the harsh reality of the outside world, with their rules and dangers, but here, right before daylight, when everything was still perfect and dreamlike.

Still sleeping, but sensing her fingers against his face, he sighed softly, and curled up closer to her, his head resting on her bare shoulder. Surprised, yet pleased, she moved only slightly, so his head was pillowed on her chest, just below her shoulder.

An arm went around her waist and that's where he stayed for a little while longer. She didn't mind; she laid there, enjoying the feel of his body next to hers and softly running her fingers across his temples.

Finally, he opened his eyes, knowing she was there, but smiling at the fact he was eye level with her covered breasts. She felt him smile.

"Morning," she said softly.

He moved, but not away. He lifted himself up to kiss her gently. He still tasted like iced tea, Moo Goo Gai Pan, and her.

"Morning," he said, after releasing her mouth.

Neither said another word for a few moments, enjoying the silence and being near each other. Finally, she stirred.

"We should get ready for work," she told him.

He held on to her for a moment, preventing her from leaving the bed. "I need to say this now," he said. "Once we leave this bed, this apartment, we'll cease to be what we were last night."

"I know," she told him, her voice barely above a whisper.

He moved further, looking into her eyes. "I can't tell you last night was wonderful, or incredible. Telling you it was like nothing I'd ever experienced wouldn't do it justice. Words can't describe what happened last night, therefore, I'm not even going to try to put it into words."

He reached up and kissed her, trying to explain everything to her in the kiss. The sensation in her stomach formed again, and covered her whole body. She knew exactly how to express his feelings into words. For her, it was like her soul had just been put together. It was almost spiritual.

Releasing her mouth, he smiled at her, his blue eyes for once expressive. She touched his face once more, watching his eyes close at her touch.

Then, it was over. They both got out of bed and got dressed for both reality and their job. He met her at the door.

"Need a ride to work?" she joked.

The ice blue eyes were back to their original expression; intelligent, not giving away anything, including a hint of warmth.

"If you're going my way," he deadpanned.

Smiling, she reverted to her original self; teasing, provocative.

"I'm always going your way," she teased, walking out the door he'd opened for her. "But we may have one small problem," she said, as they walked down the stairs to the outside world.

"And that would be?" he asked.

"What will Dr. V think when we walk in together?"

The End

Back to:

Contact the archivists at : TobinsGuide@netjeru.ma-at.net for any problems.