Hometown Hero

by Ann MacIsaac

DISCLAIMER: Don't own RGB's; wish I did. No offence to any multinational conglomerates intended.


Creeping through the bushes towards the old house, I grind my teeth absently. I can't believe that I could make such an incredibly stupid mistake today, thinking those two class eights were class twos. They nearly bit my head off, injured the folks here in town, and what's worse, make me look like an idiot in front of them all. Especially her. The very thought makes my stomach do flip-flops.

Growing up here was hard, I don't care what anyone says. I was always the outcast, the wierd one, the one everybody picked on. My height, my weight, my coloring, everything was stacked up against me. No-one ever thought I'd amount to anything. Heck, deep down, *I'd* never thought I'd amount to anything. I was convinced that a girl like her would never look my way, so I contented myself with admiring her from afar. I figured that was the best I was ever going to do.

But now look at me. Who would have ever thought the hometown boy would make it in the big city? But I was lucky. Great friends, great opportunities - when I think back on just how lucky we've been these last few years, it boggles my mind. Any other parapsychologist would give his eye-teeth to be where I am, or in Egon's or Peter's place, for that matter. Now, today, I had a chance to show all the doubting Thomases back home that I can, and *did* amount to something, that it wasn't all just hype. And yet, I blew it. Made the stupidest mistake in judgement of my whole career. I know I should let it go, like the guys said, but I can't. This is too important to me. So, I rode the train all the way out here tonight, to try and set things right. Something about those two spooks is raising alarm bells in me, but I can't say why. That's why I'm here. To try and figure out what went wrong.

Suddenly, a voice shouts out in the darkness.

"Who's there?"

The tension I feel in every muscle of my body reacts in unison, propelling me into the canopy of the trees like a coiled watchspring. The beam of a flashlight fixes on me. Then I hear a voice, so familiar it makes my whole body tingle.

"Well, Dr. Stantz, and what can I do for you?"

She's laughing. sigh The never-fail Stantz luck kicks in again, and I end up looking like a chump. I crane my neck around to face the flashlight, and offer her the most winning smile I can muster.

"Uh...could you get a ladder?"


Back to:

Contact the archivists at : tobinsarchive@squidge.org for any problems.