The Man in the Mirror

by Grace Anastasia

Feedback: Yes (this is my first real attempt at RGB, so good/bad/ indifferent is definitely welcome)
Ep: Janine Melnitz, Ghostbuster
Rating: G
Disclaimer: (c) 2000 Grace Anastasia. The Real Ghostbusters is copyright DiC, Sony/Columbia (and probably some mega-giant that I can't remember). This work of fanfic is in no way meant to infringe on the original copyright holders -- don't sue. 


Time had no meaning in limbo.

Was it hours or days since their battle with Atlas? There was no way of telling.

As a child he'd often wondered what it would be like to be on the other side of the looking glass. It was one thing to dream it; it was another to live it.

Only Ray could find a parallel between their situation and an episode of "Bewitched," which he had painstakingly recited down to the last credit on the Screen-Gems logo. Well, there wasn't any beautiful blonde witch coming to their rescue.

No one knows where we are, he thought. And no one without some paranormal or psychic background was likely to find them before Proteus brought forth apocalypse.

Coldly, logically, dispassionately, he saw the city's demise. He didn't have to imagine it. The elder god played his vision of armageddon across the scrying surface of the mirrors that reflected their imprisonment.

How many times could one view such horror before becoming desensitized to it?

He thought of his family, his friends; he had failed them all. The creeping tide of despair beginning to grow within him. It was what Proteus wanted, and he couldn't allow that emotion a voice.

The images on the glass stood still, glowing brighter with an almost eldritch quality, until he couldn't bear to watch them anymore.

The unexpected sound of an explosion made him look toward its source.

That was no blonde-haired witch, but at the moment she was the most beautiful woman he'd ever seen. Fearless, determined, an inner fire burning inside her that he had never noticed before. The ill-fitting uniform did nothing to diminish her figure or her strength.

"Janine!" he shouted.

"What are you guys doin' in that mirror? Is Lewis Carroll in there with you?" Her concern was for the team, but her eyes were definitely focused on only one of them.

"Janine get out of here while you still can," said Egon.

"Nothin' doin'. We're here to rescue you."

Not a trace of hesitation in her voice, he noted. Big guy I hope you know just how lucky you are. 


Back to:

Contact the archivists at : tobinsarchive@squidge.org for any problems.