The Runaway
by Kendalina


Category: AU
Disclaimer: Not mine... I only wish.
Notes: No betas have touched this... do your best to ingore typos, spelling errors etc...
Pairing: H/Lu
Rating: PG
Series: #1 in the Pleasureboy Series
Summary: It's an alternate universe were things are mostly the same... but Han has fewer morals, more money and doesn't owe Jabba, and Uncle Owen is a real nasty guy.


Han Solo looked at the kid who'd just walked in to the Cantina. Young pup, cute though... and attracting a lot of attention already. The smuggler could see some of the more notorious men in the room closing in on the beautiful boy. Han looked closely; he was a good-looking kid. Probably didn't have a clue what he was getting in to walking in to a place like this. He groaned, realizing what he conscience was about to make him do. He pushed himself to his feet, muttering to himself. "You could have just been happy with the prostitutes, but no you had to look, now you're going to be saddled with a kid who probably won't be able to pull his weight for a long time." Oh well, maybe he can pay his way another way. The final thought stayed in his head but it was a nice thought, he decided, slipping through the crowded bar to the kid's side.

"Buy you a drink?" he asked, sliding up to the bar beside the kid.

The boy turned and blinked at him. "Okay."

"What would you like?"

"I don't know," the kid admitted, lowering his head. "I've never been here before."

"Don't worry about it. I know just the thing," Han said. He ordered the drink and another for himself. Then he turned to face the crowd and informed those few still hovering near kid with a look that he wasn't going anywhere and they might as well forget it. Then he smirked as they slunk back to their shadows to wait for their next chance. Turning back he regarded the boy. "So kid, what are you doing in a place like this anyway?"

"I came to the port looking for a job on a ship going off world, but no one would hire me, not as a crew member anyway," he added, blushing.

"You don't want to do that?"

"No... But I'm starting to think anything would be worth it to get of this dust ball."

"You know maybe I could hire you," Han drawled.

A panicked look flashed across the kid's face, then he controlled it. "To do what?"

"What would you say if I said as a pleasure boy?"

"I... I..." The boy stammered. "I'd take it so long as it meant getting off world."

"Hmmm... good." What the hell was he doing? He'd meant to just ask the question, then tell the kid that that wasn't the job he had in mind, but now he was actually considering taking the kid on in that capacity. "But there's more to it. I own my own ship; there's just me and my first mate. We could use someone to help out on board, handle the guns sometimes. Think you could handle that?"

"Oh yes, sir," the kid exclaimed, looking as though he'd just handed him a million credits.

"The second job depends on the first," he warned the boy. The look faded a bit, but the boy nodded. "And you don't take off at the first port we stop at, I don't like my help running off on me." Again there came a nod. "Alright then, finish up your drink and I'll take you to the ship."

An hour later found Han putting the finishing touches on a contract for the kid... Luke. He'd insisted, probably afraid of getting dumped somewhere even worse then Tattooine. It was simple - it stated that for said pay the boy would be an employee of him, Han Solo, for the two jobs ship work and 'other' work as they'd put it. They'd agreed upon at least the next six months. He pushed it across the table. Luke picked it up and read it. He nodded, then press-signed it and put his thumbprint on it.

"We're leaving in two hours. You got anything you have to get?"

"Yeah," the kid said.

"Then go get it and get back here so you can start learning."

"Yes, sir." Luke was on his feet and heading toward the corridor leading to the hatch in a second.

It was not even ten minutes later when he heard shouting outside the ship. Barging in to a fight was not something he wanted to do but it sounded awfully close; if they started shooting his ship might be damaged. Stepping down the ramp he was surprised to see one of the combatants was Luke. The other man was older and had Luke by the arm and was trying to drag him off.

"Let go of me!" the kid was shouting as he dug in his heals.

"Don't push me, boy," the older man bellowed, swinging around to backhand Luke with his free hand. The force of the blow tumbled the boy to the ground and the man started dragging him again.

"Stop! I'm not going back," Luke shouted again, struggling to regain his feet.

"Oh yes you are, boy," This time the man kicked him.

"I don't generally approve of people beating on my employees," Han said calmly, resting a hand on his blaster.

The man looked up. "What? This ain't your employee; this is my nephew and I'm taking him home."

Han pulled out the data pad with the contract on it. "He's my employee. Here's his contract. Signed and legal."

"What have you done now, boy?" Luke's uncle snarled, kicking him again. Then he looked back up at Han. "How much to get him out of it."

"Nope, he's mine. Nothing of yours will buy him out of it," the smuggler announced. The man spluttered angrily, not noticing as Luke finally made it to his feet. Han did, though. "Get on the ship, kid," he said sharply. Luke nodded, retrieved a small bundle from the ground, and moved slowly in to the ship.

"He's my nephew, he ran away from home. By taking him you're just going to help him get in to more trouble," the man began. "Just send him home. It's the proper thing to do."

"I never was the proper type," Han drawled and turned to board the Falcon.

"I'll have the law on you." Now it was threats.

"For what? Hiring an employee?" Solo smirked. "Sorry, mister, but you're going to have to find yourself another punching bag." With that he flipped the control that raised the ramp and laughed at the last indignant splutters.


Back to SWA-L Archive