First Night Home
by Calysta Rose


Archive: SWAL & my site
Archive Date: October 4, 2000
Author's Webpage: http://www.esoterika.com/velvet
Category: AU, Romance, H/C
Feedback: Yes, off list at calyrose@texas.net
Notes: Big thank you's to Emrin, Thia and Ana for helping me polish this up. This little slice of life was inspired by a story that Ana is writing. Although it mentions Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan it does not detail what exactly happened to them. To find that out, you'll need to wait for Ana to finish her story. *eg* Encourage her to finish it by emailing her at: padawan_ana@yahoo.com.
Pairing: Depa/Adi
Rating: G
Spoilers: Yes. For an as yet unfinished h/c story by Anastasia.
Summary: Depa Billaba and her padawan return home after a very stressful mission.
Warnings: F/F implied


Depa Billaba strode briskly through the corridors towards the temple, her padawan close behind her carrying their bags. Pausing at the first junction, Depa turned to look at her padawan. Kai's clothing was crumpled, his golden skin ashen. The definite stoop of his muscled shoulders spoke of too much activity and not enough sleep. Even his dark eyes were dulled from exhaustion. Concern lapped at the edges of her mind.

"Kai," she said, resting her hand on his shoulder. "Go to our quarters and get some rest. If you see Adi, let her know I will be along shortly. I need to speak with the Healers, but it shouldn't take long."

Frowning slightly, "Master, I should..."

"No Kai. This won't take long and you need to rest. The strain of Padawan Kenobi's attempts to bond with me was much more difficult for you than for me." Depa pulled Kai into a tight hug. "Please get some rest Padawan. I promise to come home quickly. Tomorrow we can begin recovering from this mission." Releasing him, she stepped back.

Kai nodded, "Yes, Master."

Depa watched as Kai turned and walked away towards the residential section of the temple. She allowed herself a brief moment of longing to be home, of holding and being held by Adi. Soon, she thought. Duty first Master Jedi. With a sigh of regret she resumed her brisk pace, heading in the opposite direction.

Recalling the last few weeks, a small smile flitted briefly across her face; she was very lucky to have such a strong young man for an apprentice. This mission had been atrocious. Searching for the lost Padawan had been difficult, but finding him had been horrifying. Padawan Kenobi's condition... It had been a shock to all of them. They knew that when they found him, if they found him, he would be in bad shape. But nothing had prepared them for the level of trauma that Kenobi had suffered. Kai had been wonderful, helping her secure and stabilize Kenobi. And when Kenobi reached out to her mind in desperation, Kai had put aside his own fears and assisted her. Truly a brave young man, and she allowed her feelings of pride and love for him to flow across their bond.

Determined to get home quickly, Depa increased her pace.


The Healer's Hall was quiet when Depa walked in, but the Force was pulsing with urgency. Stepping further inside, Depa caught the attention of Healer Lyspari.

"Healer, I've come to give my account of Padawan Kenobi's rescue and the subsequent events."

"Ah yes, Master. Please, this way." Gesturing for Depa to follow her, Lyspari walked into a small office.


Depa had only thought she was tired before she had gone to the Healer's Hall. Recounting the events of the past few weeks to Lyspari had shown her that she hadn't known the meaning of the word. Every muscle in her body ached, throbbing at every step. Lifting her feet seemed almost more than she was capable of, but the promise of seeing her mate again kept her moving.

In her mind's eye she saw Adi as she had been when last they had spoken. She had looked nearly as worn down as Depa herself felt. But then Adi was looking after Qui-Gon, which can't have been much easier. she thought to herself. Reaching out with her mind, Depa touched Adi's mind.

I'm on my way to our quarters now, love.

Good. Came the relieved response. Kai fell asleep as soon as his head touched the pillow. We will have to save our welcome home celebration until tomorrow. Adi's mental voice sounded tired, but happy.

Yes. Depa replied, and sent her love curling through the link to surround Adi.


Hours later, it seemed, Depa stepped inside the dimly lit front room of her quarters.

"Home," she whispered. And the feeling of relief, the lifting of the terrible burden she'd been carrying since they'd found Obi-Wan, stole what remained of her strength.

Adi rose quickly from the couch and caught Depa before she could collapse to the floor. Arms wrapped around her waist, Adi gently guided Depa into their bedroom.

"Welcome home," Adi's soft voice caressed Depa's soul.

A few moments spent undressing and then the blissful feeling of being held in her mate's arms. Feeling safe and loved, Depa's last coherent thought was a fervent wish that Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan would soon be able to find such refuge in each other again.

As do I, as do we all. Adi tightened her arms in response to the emotions Depa had projected into the Force and followed her into sleep.


Back to SWA-L Archive