Lies and Visions
by Laura JV


Rating: PG
Series: Set in the same universe as the _Interludes_ series.
Summary: Ben tries to convince Owen to give up Luke.


I walked across the Jundland wastes towards Owen's small farm. As I approached, I saw Luke Skywalker, fourteen now, working on his speeder. It was a used Skyhopper that Owen had bought him when he turned twelve, so that Luke no longer had to rely on sponsors for the speeder races. It had relieved the pressure from the Hutt, who wanted the boy to race pods--something my brother would not allow, and I could not afford.

Racing pods would draw Vader's notice, and I would not have that happen for anything.

The boy was as blond as his father, but Anakin had been much larger by fourteen, and muscled like the fighter he'd been fast becoming. Luke was slender and strong, but it was the spare strength of the desert, skin and muscle barely obscuring his bones.

Had all gone right with the universe, Luke Skywalker might have followed in his father's footsteps as my padawan.

But all had not gone right.

The boy looked up as I drew near, and he smiled. "Hello!" He wiped a greasy hand down his thigh and offered it to me. "I'm Luke. You're Ben Kenobi, aren't you?"

"I am. I'm here to see your uncle. Is he around?"

"I think so. Come on in."

As we headed closer to the house, I saw Owen standing in the doorway, his face set. I knew he was keeping up the pretense, the wary dislike that Owen Lars, moisture farmer, had for Ben Kenobi, crazy old wizard. It still hurt to see, even though I knew behind those stony features was my brother, who loved me with all his heart.

My brother, who would die for me and for this boy, one day soon, if I could not prevent it.

He glared at me and grunted. "Heard your vaporator was out, Kenobi. You'll be wanting water. Luke, go help your aunt." The boy scowled, but obeyed, and Owen and I watched him go. "Will ten gallons be enough? I'll have Luke take you home."

"Ten will be fine, though I don't really need it. I just wanted to see you."

"And the boy."

"And the boy, yes. The boy should begin his training, soon."

"Not yet, Ben. I can't give him up, yet."

I looked down at the ground. "You should. If I have him, you won't die. I've thought about this, Owen--I told you years ago you might die protecting him. That won't happen, if you give him to me."

"And I told you that I'm proud to have him." He sighed. "I know he can't stay here, much as I'd like him to. I want...I want him to be the son I never had."

"But he's not."

"I know. Ben, tell me--is he really Anakin's son? Or is he yours?"

I laughed, a short, harsh laugh, that echoed from the walls. "He's no son of mine. And I have no reason to believe that Amidala was ever unfaithful to her husband. Much good it did her."

We stood there in silence for a few moments. "I still think you ought to send the boy to me. I don't want to lose you, Owen. You and Beru are all I have left."

He touched my shoulder, lightly, a ghost of the embraces we shared when Luke was nowhere around to see our secrets. "I know. I'm sorry, baby brother. I can't let you have him." Then he raised his voice. "Ten gallons it is, old man. Pump's out back. Containers are extra. I'll get my nephew to take care of you."

I bowed and left him there in the doorway, his mouth speaking the lies he and I had worked out between us, and went to meet Luke at the pump.

Like a vision of smoke, heat haze rose from the buildings, and I knew my beloved brother was as good as dead.


Back to SWA-L Archive