The Improvements
by Kendalina


Category: AU
Disclaimer: Not mine... but maybe if I wish hard enough I'll get them for Christmas someday.
Notes: Once again... no betas, just my spell checker.
Pairing: H/Lu
Rating: PG
Series: This is a sequel to 'The Runaway.'
Summary: Still in that alternate universe and more of Han's bad side is beginning to show up.


Han found the boy in the lounge curled up on an acceleration couch. "That why you're so desperate to get off this rock, kid?" he asked as he tilted Luke's face up to survey the damage. There was a dark bruise forming on the left side of his face and the captain suspected it had friends that would be showing up on his torso and arm under the dirty tunic.

"Yeah," the boy said softly. "And now he's going to kill me."

"While you're on this ship you're mine," Han snarled.

"He's got friends among the law here. They'll trump up some charges against you and Uncle Owen will take me home and beat me to death."

"Kid, no one stops this ship from leaving when it wants to," Han informed him. "Strap yourself in." With that he stalked out in the direction of the cockpit, leaving Luke staring after him in shock.

When he reached the cockpit his first mate barked a greeting at him.

"Come on, Chewie, let's get out of here," the captain said. "Seems I might have made a bit of an enemy today. Let's get out of here before the Port Authority revokes our clearance."


Once they were away and safely into hyperspace the wookkie turned to him, growling a question.

"Yes, I know I'm crazy," he replied. Another question. "Yes, I do intend to have him fulfill that part of the contract, and before you ask, no, I will not reconsider. The boy stays." With that he rose, heading back to the lounge.

"See, what'd I tell you kid. Left that dump behind in a hurry." He grinned, noticing how the boy seemed to be relaxing a bit.

"So, where are we going?" Luke asked cautiously.

"Someplace we can get you fixed and cleaned up. You need some definite improvements before you'll make a proper pleasure boy."

"Oh."

"Here's the deal, kid. Daytime hours you are a normal member of the crew. You'll learn how to look after the ship, handle the guns, stuff like that. But after supper time, until breakfast the next morning, you're my cabin boy - to do with as I please."

Luke nodded wide-eyed.

"Don't worry, kid, it's a good deal. Trust me," he said reassuringly. "And stop looking at me like a scared bantha cub. I won't touch you until we get you cleaned up. By then you should have plenty of time to study all the information on being a proper pleasure being that I've got stashed away in the computer banks.


Luke was trailing behind Han as the smuggler wove through the crowded marketplace. Chewbacca hadn't come along on this outing, opting to stay behind with the ship. Actually, he'd just growled something the the boy hadn't been able to understand and disappeared back on board. Luke didn't think the big Wookkie liked him very much, which worried him a little. It was usually better to have someone that big on your side.

"Where are we going now?" he asked, trying to keep up with Solo. So far they'd been to a medical facility where he'd spent several hours in a bacta tank healing his bruises, a fancy spa where they'd washed and cleaned him until he'd swore he must be shining, then a clothing store where he'd been outfitted with new clothes. Pants, tunics, a couple of ship suits, and a few jackets for various climates. Then someplace to buy some parts for the ship, where he'd tried very hard to remember everything that was said. He was supposed to be learning about the ship after all.

"To get the rest of your clothes," the captain informed him.

"What else do I need? We got lots."

"Well, unless you plan on running around naked after dinner every night, kid, you need some apparel appropriate for your second job."

"Oh."

Han grinned as the kid flushed. So naive... it was rather endearing. And all his. After today Luke would owe him for quite awhile, paying back all the bills for the things he'd bought for the kid.

They came to what appeared to be a smaller more discrete shop, but when they stepped inside they saw the store opened up into a large, multi-leveled, stylishly-done-up place.

"May I help you?" a sales being said approaching them, smiling pleasantly.

Han reached back and caught Luke's wrist, pulling him in front of him. "Thing is my new pleasure boy," he announced, causing a blush to spread across the boy's cheeks. "I want him properly outfitted to please me."

"Yes, sir," the sales clerk said. He clapped his hands and a droid appeared. "Take this boy off and take his measurements," he ordered.

"At once, sir," the machine said, turning to Luke. "If you will follow me." Han gave him a light push and watched the kid go.

"Now, sir. If you come this way," the clerk smiled, "I'll show you the wide selection we have from which you can choose your boy's apparel."


Back to SWA-L Archive