I Is For... Cloud City?
by Claire


"Keeping a hold of your anger will hurt you more than it hurts them."

Leia sound to face the direction the voice was coming from. Mon Mothma stood in the doorway, her face soft. "Neither of them did this out of spite, Leia. One doesn’t get to choose who to fall in love with."

Princess Leia sighed. "Quite a few people have told me that already."

"Really?" Mon Mothma commented.

"Several people have pointed out that the way I’m behaving towards Han and Luke is unreasonable."

The older woman walked towards Leia and laid a hand on her shoulder. "Unreasonable?" she repeated.

"Very much so, according to some," nodded Leia. "Wedge told me I was behaving like a spoilt child. X7-AG and the other droids in the med-lab have even commented on it!" Leia exclaimed.

"You know," Mon Mothma said gently, "they may have a pint." Zeroing in on Leia’s shocked face, she pinned the younger woman with her gaze. "A few years ago I met an extraordinary child, who was bright, intelligent and loving. Bail Organa didn’t raise his daughter to be spiteful and vindictive. Contrary to what you believe, Leia, your actions will only serve to undermine any authority you have within the Alliance. Don’t believe that men will follow children, Leia, because you’d be wrong."

Every harsh word and snub that she’d dished out to the two lovers suddenly came crashing down on her. Feeling the room spin slightly, Leia sagged against the wall and started to cry.

Gently putting her arms around the young woman, Mon Mothma gathered Leia to her.

Heaving great sobs, Leia clutched at the other woman. "I just wanted him to love me," she cried.

"Just let it go, Leia," said Mon Mothma, softly stroking her hair, "just let *him* go."


Back to SWA-L Archive