Who Comforts the Hero, Part VII
by Kendalina


Author's Webpage: http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Gallery/7898/Kendalina/archive.html
Disclaimer: They're not mine they belong to LucasFilm.
Notes: Okay for any of you die hard SW fans out there I admit I messed with a few details. But they're minor ones I promise... you might not even notice them unless you're as obsessed as me.
Pairing: Lu/Wedge
Rating: PG
Series: #7 in the Comforts Series


Wedge found Luke standing at one of the medical frigate's large view ports watching stars. The young pilot had felt a moments panic when he hadn't been able to find his lover in the small cubicle he'd been assigned while he'd been recovering from the injuries he'd gotten in Cloud City fighting the Dark Lord. Most people would have been killed. But not Luke, but then he was a Jedi of sorts even if he wasn't fully trained. And now he was at least twice the hero he had been before. Now not only had he destroyed the Death Star but faced the dreaded Dark Lord of the Sith. And according to the rumors laughed in Vader's face.

This was the first he'd seen of his friend and lover since they'd evacuated Hoth. "Hey." He murmured as he approached.

Luke jumped slightly. "Hi." He replied just as softly as he self-consciously shoved his right hand in to his pocket.

Wedge noticed the movement but didn't comment on it. "I've got a shuttle here to take you back the ship."

Luke blinked and was silent for several moments as though going back to the ship had never occurred to him. "Oh... Alright." He said finally.


The short flight between the two big ships passed in a tense silence. Wedge flew because Luke had to re-certify with the prosthetic hand just to be sure it wouldn't affect his skills. The younger man had made several attempts at conversation, but they'd fallen flat. Luke had just sat there and stared out at the ships whizzing past.

Back in their old quarters that they'd been reassigned to after Hoth Wedge watched as Luke still silent moved to sit on the second bunk. The one they never used.

For his own part, Luke wasn't really aware of his actions. He was deep in thought. Absently, he flexed the prosthetic right hand. Jumping as Wedge caught it.

He looked up in surprise. Wedge was sitting on their bunk and had leaned forward, now his arm stretched across the gap between the two beds. He blinked, not sure what to say, worried he'd upset hi lover somehow.

"You really okay Luke?" The Corellian asked.

Luke brought up a smile. "Yeah." He said, wishing Wedge had caught his other hand. Wedge caught the quick glance down and interpreted it correctly. He brought his other hand up and held Luke's hand between both of his. "I completely forgot." He told the other man. Turning the prosthetic in his hands so it rested palm up, he bent to kiss it. "Does it make a difference?" He asked, tracing a line across the palm with his tongue, followed by a light nip.

"No." Luke gasped. "Feels the same to me. But doesn't it make a difference to you? Disgust you?"

"No. It is slightly different, you haven't had it long enough for all the synthetic taste to disappear. But another week or so of your body maintaining the synth flesh, it will taste the same as the rest of you." Wedge said, then grinned. "And I certainly know about that."

Luke blushed but grinned back.

"Com'ere." The younger man said, tugging on the wrist still captured in his hand. Smiling as Luke came off the other bunk and allowed Wedge to tug him down on top as they lay back on their bunk. Luke smiled down at his lover.

"You really are okay?" Wedge murmured. "I was worried. I mean, you finally were doing better, then you have more things happen..."

"I really am okay. It's not like I spent the whole time since we left Hoth having awful things happen to me. Just a few hours. You've seen the reports right?"

"Yeah, you found a Jedi Master. Though you won't tell anyone where. You learned what you wanted to?"

"Well...yeah. But certainly not how I expected to learn it." Luke said in a half laugh. "But I didn't finish my training."

"You'll have to go back?"

"I promised."

"Oh." Wedge muttered, feeling slightly disappointed.

"Not just yet." Luke said, gently brushing the dark bangs off Wedge's forehead. "Not until Han's back safe."

"But you'll still be gone for that."

"The Alliance authorized the rescue effort. I'm sure they'll let us borrow a few resources."

"Like Rogue Squadron?"

"Exactly." Luke grinned, feeling more himself than he had in years. With a quick movement, he caught Wedge's wrists, tugging them over his head and pinning them to the pillow.

"Now. I think we have a little catching up to do."

Wedge blinked up at him and smiled. "Definitely." He agreed, as Luke descended to capture his mouth in a deep kiss.

When Luke finally released his mouth the younger man gazed up at him, his deep, green eyes slightly unfocused. "You really are better."

"I really am better." Luke agreed with a smile.


Back to SWA-L Archive