Pull by Surreal E-mail: surreal666@hotmail.com Website: http://netjeru.ma-at.net/SurrealArts/ Feedback: Don't make me beg...*G* Status: Complete Category: Missing scene challenge, angst, hurt/comfort Rating: PG-13 Summary: Uncertainty, nothing to lose, and a pull in the right direction is all a life needs to become worth fighting for. Archive: Wherever is appropriate, I guess! Disclaimer: I wanted them to be mine when I was little, and now I can play with them like I always wanted...but at the end of the day, I still have to hose them down and give them back. *sigh* Notes: Umm...this is my first A-Team story, but most definitely not my first fic of any kind. I had to wait until the night before the challenge was due to write this, because the episode in question was on this afternoon - therefore, it's not betaed and all characterizations and such are strictly my fault. Wheeee! *~*~*~*~*~ Glancing up into the rear view mirror, I make sure we're clear before slowing the van down. "B.A., I need you to take over driving. We're almost to the highway." Hannibal frowns at me, but doesn't say anything. I think he knows what I need. Pulling over sharply, I jump out of the driver's side door, while B.A. crawls out of the back and we pass each other briefly. I feel one of his big hands pat my shoulder, almost a ghost of a touch, but there. Carefully, I climb into the back of the van where Murdock is laying. In the fifteen minutes or so ride since we escaped from Decker yet again, Tawnia has cut the bandages we used to hide Murdock's face off of him, and has put clean ones on the bullet wound. Tawnia shuts the door, and I kneel next to my lover, taking his hand in one of mine. I feel a frighteningly weak pressure given back, telling me that he's only aware enough to know it's me there with him. "Hey, buddy," I say softly, leaning down close to his ear. He turns his head slightly toward mine, his eyelids fluttering but staying closed. I give in to the urge to stroke back his hair, the fever sweat making it stick to his forehead. "We'll be gettin' you to some help in no time, okay? Hannibal knows some nice doctors down at the county hospital, some old friends we helped a while back; they'll keep us safe, keep us out of Decker's sights for a while till we get you fixed up, how's that sound?" Murdock's hand tightens on mine again, and I'm rewarded with a tiny smile, just the barest curling of the edges of his lips. "Mmm...you know how much I love hospitals, baby," he whispers faintly, nudging my head lightly with his own. I could kiss him, I'm so relieved. And considering how close I am to losing him, I have no reason not to. So I do. After all we've gone through today to save this man, to the point where we turned ourselves over to the very men we have been alluding for years, I've come to realize with startling clarity just how easily any of us could be killed doing what we do. So, what's the point in hiding something so wonderful for two of us from the few people on the planet in whose hands we've put our lives? We see death and hatred and misery on a daily basis - the only thing that we have to live for is each other. In these lives we're forced to lead, why should we continue to keep hidden the one spark of life we can honestly say is what is keeping us alive? I told Tawnia today that if Murdock dies, nothing else really matters, that my life would be over as well. It's true - I'll never have a lover so loyal, so completely and totally entwined with my life as I have in Murdock - and if he were to die, I'd be lost. The lack of reaction from any of our friends tells me, they understand better through this simple action what I could never have explained with words. Murdock looks up at me through half-open eyes, question and understanding in that look. He knows what I've just done and what it took for me to do it in front of the others. And he, even in his condition, is able to give me support. I reach up, stroke his hair, rest my forehead against his gently. "You're gonna be fine, sweetheart. Just a little longer, just hang on for me. Love you, *love* you." His hand in mine squeezes harder than I'd have thought it could in his weakened state, and I raise my head just enough to meet his eyes. He smiles shakily. "Love you, too, Facey. Not gonna leave you, I promise." I smile back, kiss his warm lips softly again. Scooting down to stretch out next to him, I lay my head on his stomach and listen to him breathe. He promised, and now I can live. ~*~*~*~*~*~ End.