Changes of Scenery
Ramblin Rose


When Jim came home he was in a foul mood. Nothing was going right and he wasn't really in the mood for his everything is going to be all right guide. In fact, he was sick to death of him. Jim was sick of Blair telling him what to do, when to do it and why he should be doing it. Something was going to have to change.

Blair came walking down from upstairs, from 'their' room and smiled. Jim wanted to slug him. Blair saw the grimace on Jim's face and said, "What's wrong, Jim?"

"Nothing is wrong, Sandburg." Jim yelled, "I just don't feel like being a sweetsy, sweetsy tonight. Got a problem with that?"

"No," Blair replied quietly, "no problem at all. Just sit down and relax and I'll get you something to eat."

"Shut the fuck up, Sandburg." Jim screamed. "I can get my own fucking food. What is it with you? You want me to be totally dependant on you?"

"Fine," Blair said, "get your own then, I'll be upstairs doing some work on the computer."

"Sandburg," Jim said, "I'd really like to sleep in my bed tonight and would like it to be alone."

"Fine Jim," Blair said with pain in his voice, "I'll just go and get my things and move back into the room downstairs."

"That's fine for tonight," Jim said coldly, "but I'd really like you to get your own place. You're stifling me. I don't like it. Things have to change."

"Jim," Blair said with tears rolling down his face, "what is wrong here? What happened today?"

"Its not just today," Jim said, "it's been every day. I'm just sick of it all. You have to give me my space back. And I'm tired of being observed all the time. You treat me like a fucking lab rat."

"This is fucking, great, Sandburg, quit the crying. You get sad, and I give in. Well, not any more. Get in the real world. Find a place and make it soon."

Blair walked up the stairs crying softly, grabbing all of his belongings, taking them downstairs and lie on his bed. What the fuck was going on? He needed to call Simon and see what was going on. Something had to have happened to Jim at work. Maybe something he ate or drank. God, Blair could only hope that this was the case.

Blair finally fell asleep and when he woke up, he had overslept. "Shit," Blair said to himself.

Trying to hurry as fast as he could, he got to the bullpen and walked in and Simon said, "It was nice that you could grace us with your presence. Want to tell me why you missed the meeting this morning? Your partner had no idea where you were. Keep things in your life straight, Sandburg, so that it doesn't interfere with your job. Are you listening, Sandburg?"

Blair has broken in half after Simon had said; his partner didn't know where he was. God, this wasn't getting any better. It was like a nightmare from hell. And he had no one to talk to.

Sitting down at his desk, Blair pulled his paperwork out and started to get it done. Jim got a call and got up to go and Blair said, "Jim, where are we going?"

"We aren't going anywhere, Sandburg." Jim replied, "Conner is going on this one with me."

"Fuck, fuck, fuck." Blair said under his breath. Something was going on, why didn't Blair know what it was?

He had to talk to someone. Who? Jim walked over to him before he and Conner left and Jim leaned down and said, "There is nothing wrong, Sandburg, so don't go whining to Simon about it. Do I make myself clear?"

"Crystal clear, Jim." Blair said sadly.

Jim turned and walked out of the room and Blair just went back to what he was doing on the computer and tried to fight the urge to scream and cry at the same time. His cell phone rang and he picked it up and said, "Sandburg."

"Sandburg," Jim said, "don't forget about looking at the ads on my desk for a place. There were quite a few in there that you could afford. Check them out. I expect you to be out in a week. And this time, I mean a real week, seven days."

"Okay, I'll take care of it," Blair said. Hanging up his phone, he walked into the restroom. Joel had watched the two men all morning and knew something was wrong. Now he watched as Blair walked out of the room with such a look of pain on his face it was unbelievable. Joel couldn't do anything else; he followed Blair into the restroom. He could hear soft crying.

Joel knocked on the door of the stall that Blair was in and said, "Blair, I'd really like to talk to you."

"Joel, thank you for caring, but I really need to be alone." Blair said.

"I'm not leaving," Joel said adamantly, "so you had best come out here and talk to me."

"Joel," Blair began, "I need to find a new place to live and I'm just depressed. That's all."

Joel watching Blair closely knew that there was more going on, but decided not to push him, said, "Blair, lets go get your things and you can move into my spare room?"

Blair looked up and smiled and said, "You wouldn't mind?"

"Not at all, Blair." Joel said, "in fact I would like the company."

"Thanks Joel." Blair said. "Could we move it now? If we get a day off from Simon?"

"Lets go and talk to him right now." Joel said, "everything will work out okay, Blair, you wait and see."

As they went in to talk to Simon Blair felt like his heart was breaking in half and didn't think he would ever heal up. Jim didn't want him anymore. God, how could Blair live with that?


Changes 2

Patt's Index