~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The Cascade Ripper
By: Cherokeegirl

Chapter Nine

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"That's the lake up ahead," Simon said through the headphones as the helicopters circled the area. "There's Wright's cabin and that's his truck parked in front; it looks like he's still here. We're going to have to land in that clearing on the other side of the lake and hike back to keep from tipping Wright off." The group of heavily armored police ran a quick check of gear and prepared to off-load as swiftly as possible, knowing time could be essential for their colleague.

When they landed Jim headed immediately toward the cover of the nearest trees. He had only gone a few steps when he felt a sinuous rub against his leg. Apprehension gripped his chest when the import of the jaguar's presence hit him.

He signaled to the pilot to cut the engines and tried to dial up his hearing over the pounding of his heart. Suddenly Jim heard a gunshot from the direction of the lake and a wolf howling as though in pain. He knew that Blair had been injured.

"Jim, what is it? What's wrong?" Simon asked when he saw the look on his friend's face.

"A gunshot from the direction of the lake," Jim called over his shoulder as he sped after the cat toward the sounds.

"Rafe, take the men up ahead to the cabin. Encircle the cabin and secure the area. Make sure that truck doesn't leave," Simon ordered as he followed Jim into the woods.

~*~

He hadn't gone more than twenty feet when he felt the impact as the bullet hit him. He heard the sound of the shot as he was falling. Blair lay there stunned. He was in agony; his shoulder felt as though it were on fire. Wright walked up behind him but he couldn't move. When Wright saw that Blair was conscious he reached down and roughly pulled him to his feet. Between the pain in his shoulder and the pain in his ankle Blair nearly collapsed.

"Come on, let's go," Wright said as he pushed him in the direction of the cabin. "We're heading back to the cabin to get my truck then we're heading for the border."

"Man, I'm dying here. I'll never make it back to the cabin."

"You're a long way from dead. That shoulder wound's gonna' hurt like hell but it won't kill you. If I had wanted to kill you I could have at any time. Now move!"

"It has to be at least a day's walk back. I'm telling you I'll never make it."

"You idiot, you've been running in circles all night. We're not more than a mile from there. Now I'm telling you for the last time move it."

"You're crazy if you think you're going to get away with this."

"Shut up and walk."

"They know who you are. They know you killed those girls. Simon won't stop until they have you in custody. And Jim probably won't stop until you're dead." The last has said more to himself than Wright.

"I said shut up," Wright shouted as he grabbed Blair's arm causing Blair to cry out from the pain.

"Man, just give it up," Blair said softly. "It's over. Can't you see that?"

"I said shut up," Wright repeated as he hit Blair with the gun butt knocking him out.

Jim froze when he saw Wright hit Blair.

A calming sense of purpose focused his instinct to protect his Guide and lover and transformed him into the unstoppable force his Ranger teammates would have easily recognized. He advanced through the underbrush placing himself between the enraged killer and Blair. A flurry of swift kicks and punches as deadly as they were graceful rendered the Ripper helpless on the ground.

When Simon reached them Jim was on top of Wright choking him. Nothing Simon could do or say would persuade Jim to release Wright. It was as though Jim were zoned on the single-minded thought of killing him.

Suddenly Jim stiffened and looked at Blair who was slowly regaining consciousness.

When Blair softly called Jim's name he released Wright, who appeared to be unconscious and raced to Blair's side cradling him in his arms.

Wright took the advantage of Jim and Simon's attention being fixed on Blair by grabbing the gun hidden at his back and pointing it at Jim.

Blair shouted, "No," just as Simon caught the movement out of the corner of his eye and turned and fired.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Chapter 10

Cherokeegirl's Index

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*