~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The Cascade Ripper
By: Cherokeegirl

Chapter Five

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Her face floated around him, the fear in her eyes reproaching. Her finger pointed at him and accused, "You killed me. Why? I'm a good person; I didn't deserve to die this way. Why did you do it?"

"I had to," he answered. "You were going to ruin my life."

He covered his face with his hands so that he wouldn't have to see her. But the vision remained and he could still hear "Why? " over and over.

He woke panic stricken covered in sweat, he was at home and safe; no one knew what he had done. A dream, that's all it is. A dream. He sat up in bed and took a deep breath to calm himself.

He laughed to himself. Wouldn't it be funny, he thought, after everything I've done to die of a heart attack in my sleep?

Replaying each and every kill in his mind, he made sure he hadn't made any mistakes that would lead the police to him. No, each one was perfect, he thought. They have no reason to believe it was me. Besides, who could really blame me for what I did? They deserved to die all of them. Patsy, I really loved her and trusted her, but she betrayed that trust just like the others. They were all betrayers and they deserved to die. No one seems to understand. I used to hide the bodies, but not any more. I want everyone to see what happens to betrayers. I want to show them that I will not allow anyone to hurt and get away with it, not again, not ever again!

~*~

When Stan Goldberg got up the next morning his wife was sitting at the kitchen table folding the laundry.

"You slept late, are you okay," she asked.

He poured himself a glass of juice and sat down opposite her at the table. "Yeah, I'm okay I guess, I just haven't been sleeping well lately. I keep getting these headaches. I don't think I'll go into the office until later. I don't have a class until this afternoon and I just don't feel up to it."

"You sure you're okay?" She asked again feeling his forehead. "By the way, what does the other guy look like?"

"What... What are you talking about"

"Your hand," she said pointing to his knuckles. "You look like you've been in a fight."

"I was working downstairs in my shop last night and I scraped my knuckles

"I wondered what happened to your t-shirt there's blood all over it. You know lately I've found blood on a lot of your clothes, I'm starting to get worried about these nose-bleeds you say you've been having. I think you should see a doctor."

"I've had them all my life it's no big deal," I'm going back downstairs he said getting up. "There's something in the shop I want to finish before going to school."

~*~

As Jim drove to the English department he waited for Simon to get a pad and pencil and come back on the line. "That's right Simon, a Dr. Stan Goldberg G-o-l-d-b-e-r-g could you check and see if he has any priors, also check the coroner's report and see if there is any mention of pregnancy. When I looked over the files for the victims I only skimmed over them comparing the knife wounds, angle, number, and force of entry. It's possible I didn't notice."

"Hold on Jim and I'll check the file."

After a moment he came back on the line. "Yes Jim according to the M.E. Ms. Shields was about eight weeks pregnant."

"I'm working with an Officer Wright here of campus security, we're going over to the English department and talk to Professor Goldberg."

"Okay Jim, just keep me posted."

When Jim went to the English department he found that Professor Goldberg had not come in to his office yet. Jim went to the office of the dean of the English department to get Goldberg's address. Even after Jim had showed his badge and explained that he needed to contact Professor Goldberg immediately, the dean's secretary told Jim that she couldn't give out the personal addresses and phone numbers of the faculty. Jim fixed her with an icy stare and informed her that he was placing her under arrest for hindering him in an official police investigation, "overkill," he heard Blair's opinion in his mind, but still she refused to give out any information. The Officer Wright intervened.

"Come on Joan," Officer Wright said. "Detective Ellison is just doing his job. He can get a court order for the information but that's just a waste of time just give him the address okay?"

She immediately went to her computer and pulled up the address for Professor Goldberg. She wrote it down and without saying anything handed it to Jim.

"Thank you," Jim responded coldly and left.

He called Simon back.

"Simon, We're just leaving the English department Professor Goldberg hasn't come into work yet. I've got his address, I'm going over there to see what I can find out."

"Okay, but take H and Rafe with you for back up. If this guy is a killer I don't want you to go in there alone, besides if they're with you then there's less chance of you flying off the handle and getting the charges thrown out on a technicality."

~*~

When the three detectives knocked on the door of the modest split-level it was answered by a small mousy looking woman who peered at them through thick wire-rimmed glasses.

"May I help you," she asked.

"Is this the Goldberg residence," Jim asked. At her nod he continued. "My name is Detective James Ellison is Professor Goldberg in?

"Yes, he's in the basement. What's this all about?"

"We just need to ask Professor Goldberg a few questions."

"Come right this way," she said as stepped back. She led them through the house and into the kitchen. Just as she reached the door to the basement Jim stopped and looked at the laundry basket sitting on the table. He focused his sight on the stained garments in the basket, even though they had been washed he could easily see the blood stains. He focused his sense of smell and could still pick up a slight coppery scent of the blood. He signaled Rafe and H to make note of the wash basket of fresh laundry in case they got enough to have a warrant issued and a search could me made.

~*~

"Stan there are some people here to see you," she said as the reached the bottom of the steps.

Average, Jim thought as he looked at the Professor, "Average height, average build, and average appearance; just average. If he's the killer, no wonder none of the people at the flower shops were able to describe him.

Knuckles bruised and skinned, Jim noted.

"How can I help you," Goldberg asked as he came over to extend his hand to the Detectives.

"Mr. Goldberg my name is Detective Ellison we're just here to ask you a few questions"

"About what detective?"

"As I'm sure you know there have been several co-eds murdered. We're trying to follow up on every lead we get to try and find the person responsible."

"Yes, I'm sure. Why don't we go back upstairs Detective we can continue this discussion in my study."

He led the way back upstairs and into a small office in the back of the house. Rafe stopped Mrs. Goldberg just as she was about to follow Jim and her husband.

"Mrs. Goldberg one moment please I would like to ask you just a few questions," he said leading her back into the kitchen.

"I don't know what I could tell you detective."

"I just want you to clear up a few things for me please it won't take long. Mrs. Goldberg, can you tell us where your husband was last night," Rafe asked.

"He was here. He was working downstairs in his shop all evening. He was still working when I went to bed."

"What time was that?"

"About 10:30, I watched the ten o' clock news and went to bed. What time did your husband go to bed?"

"I don't know detective I was asleep."

"What about Tuesday night?"

"He was here all evening Tuesday also. Detective you surely don't believe my husband had anything to do with the deaths of those girls?"

"Mrs. Goldberg in an investigation like this we have to question everyone. What time did he come to bed Tuesday?"

"I don't know Detective, you see, my husband and I have separate rooms."

"So, you really wouldn't know if your husband left the house or not?"

"No Detective, I suppose not."

~*~

When Professor Goldberg closed the door and turned to face Jim and H. he asked. "What questions id you want to ask me Detective? Are you arresting me for something?"

"We would like for you to come with us voluntarily we're not here to make any type of formal charges," Jim said. " But we can place you under arrest for probable cause if necessary."

"Under arrest for what? What's this all about?"

I should inform you Professor Goldberg you do have a right to an attorney and have him present during questioning.

"I don't need an attorney, I haven't done anything. Detective you can't just come into my home and start interrogating me, I demand to know what this is all about, or you can get out right now."

Jim listened to the man's heart racing. He's either very angry or very frightened, Jim thought.

"Professor Goldberg, we would like to ask you a few questions regarding your association with a murder victim by the name of Patricia Shields and the disappearance of my associate, Blair Sandburg."

"Patricia Shields was one of my students in my freshman English class and I don't know anything about your associate's whereabouts."

"According to our sources your relationship with Ms. Shields went beyond the teacher/student relationship."

"This is all hearsay," Goldberg said. "It isn't even admissible in a court of law. Besides it isn't even true."

"We haven't said anything about a trial Professor Goldberg," Jim answered. "And, you're right it is hearsay evidence. My associate, Blair Sandburg, teaches Anthropology at Rainier. He also works as a consultant/observer for our department. Our source approached Mr. Sandburg last night and told him that Patsy had confided in her that the two of you were having an affair and that she was pregnant. She also told Mr. Sandburg that Ms. Shields was afraid to tell you; afraid of what your reaction might be. Shortly after our source left, Mr. Sandburg disappeared. He hasn't been seen or heard from since his last class yesterday evening."

"You think I had something to do with his disappearance. I was here all evening you can ask my wife."

Professor Goldberg what type blood do you have?"

"O just like almost everyone else in this country, why?"

"Detective I've had enough of this, you're insinuating that I got Patsy Shields pregnant and then killed her. Detective you can either arrest me or get out and you don't have a warrant, so I suggest you leave."

"Professor Goldberg I can arrest you for Suspicion without a warrant and hold you in custody for up to forty-eight hours."

"So, you are arresting me?"

"Yes Professor I am. You have the right to remain silent, you have the right to an attorney..."

"I know my rights Detective and I'm not saying anything else until I talk to my lawyer."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Chapter 6

Cherokeegirl's Index

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*