~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The Cascade Ripper
By: Cherokeegirl

Chapter Two

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

As they were driving to the apartment complex where the victim lived, Blair finally regained his composure enough to talk about the case.

"Jim, I've got a question."

"Wow, he speaks!" Jim replied laughing.

"Yeah, very funny. I just wondered why you were going to the victim's apartment? I would have thought that you would want to go to the crime scene to see if you can pick up anything the lab missed."

"After the joggers were there and the then police and forensics team, there wouldn't be much reason to go. What evidence there might have been would have been lost with all that traffic. No, Chief, right now we are just going to stick to some good old-fashioned detective work and hope we get a break."

"Yeah, I see your point."

When Jim and Blair got to the Glen Wood Apartments they found it to be a large complex built in a u-shape around the leasing office, a large swimming pool and tennis court. According to the address in the police report, the victim and her roommate lived in apartment 103 directly across from the office.

They walked up to the door and Jim knocked. As they waited, Blair asked if he thought Sharon Maxwell would be home. Before Jim could answer a slender young woman, who appeared to be in her early twenties, opened the door. She had short dark hair and dark eyes that were red and swollen.

"Ms. Sharon Maxwell?" Jim asked. "I'm Detective James Ellison with the Cascade Police Department and this is my associate Blair Sandburg. We would like to ask you a few questions. May we come in?"

The young woman nodded once to both questions and stepped back inside leaving them to follow her in and close the door behind them.

"Ms. Maxwell, I'm sorry to bother you but as I said we have just a few questions we need to ask."

"Look, Detective, I don't know how much more I can tell you," she said as she walked to the sofa and sat. "I've told the other detectives everything I know. Mary didn't come home Tuesday night. I usually go to sleep before she gets home from work. But when I woke up Wednesday morning and realized she hadn't come home at all, I called and reported her missing. All I got was some kind of run around telling me I had to wait twenty-four hours before I could file a missing person report." She put her face in her hands and started crying again. "If you people had only listened to me and gone out and started looking for her, she might still be alive. This never would have happened."

"Ms. Maxwell, I know how you feel and this is a difficult time..." Jim began.

"Oh, really, detective, you know how I feel?" she shouted. "Was your best friend just murdered because the police wouldn't get up off their collective asses and get out there and look for her when I first reported her missing?"

"Ms. Maxwell, we have a twenty-four hour rule for a reason. A lot of times when adults are missing, it is because they want to be. They have either met someone and are with them or they just want some time to be alone. In which case, if we start to search for them it turns out to be a waste of time and manpower that can be used to investigate other cases. Now I will be the first to admit that, in a way, it is a catch twenty-two. There are times when, if we had only been able to start searching sooner, it would have made the difference between life and death. We're not perfect, Ms. Maxwell, but we are trying. Now if you could just answer a few questions for me then I will get on with this. And, Ms. Maxwell, I promise you I will do everything in my power to find the person responsible."

"What do you want to know?"

"Can you tell me if she mentioned having a disagreement with any one, a co-worker, an old boyfriend? Did she seem afraid or upset about anything?"

"I don't understand, according to the newspapers, Mary was a victim of a serial killer. The papers said that he had killed two other girls."

"Yes, Ms. Maxwell, there is the possibility that this is the same man. But, we're not going to make any assumptions here. We are going to investigate each of these cases on an individual bases."

"Now, can you tell me about any disagreements or arguments that might have come up?"

"No, Detective, Mary was fine. As a matter of fact, lately she seemed the happiest I have ever seen her. She worked at this little café near the U, 'The Frog and Owl'; she was a waitress there. She really liked her job and everyone there liked her. She was doing great in school. She got along well with her classmates and instructors. Believe me, Detective, if there had been anything wrong Mary would have told me."

"What about guys she might have dated?" Blair asked. "Is there anyone she had an argument with? I know it sounds a little far fetched to think someone she had been dating could have done something like this. But there are guys out there who can go completely over the edge if his girl tries to break up with him."

"There wasn't anything like that. The only people she was having any problems with were her parents."

"Why's that?" he asked.

"Come on, Mr. Sandburg, surely you don't believe anyone in Mary's family could have done this?"

"Ms. Maxwell, as hard as it is to believe there has been precedence of family members attacking each other this violently."

"Oh no, I can assure you the Hughes family are not capable of doing anything that passionately, they're too cold and heartless for that."

"What was the argument about Ms. Maxwell? I'm not trying to pry but we need to follow up on every lead if we're to catch this guy."

"You see Mary and I were lovers. We've been together for a couple of years. Her family was very upset when they found out. They tried to get her to end the relationship, but she refused. They had her legally disowned. At first Mary was heartbroken but she wouldn't back down. But after the initial shock wore off, she seemed like a weight had been lifted off her shoulders. She said that even if she did leave me it wouldn't change who or what she was, and if her parents loved her they would accept her. She told me she felt free to be herself for the first time in her life. We were even planning to have a commitment ceremony in a few months. When Mary disappeared, I called them to let them know. I thought they would be concerned. Her mother told me that she didn't have a daughter and hung up on me. When I got the call from the police that they had found Mary's body, I didn't even call them back.

When I went to the morgue to identify her they just pulled the sheet back enough to let me see her face. I didn't see what that monster had done to her. I didn't want to see. Just seeing her lying there like that was bad enough. I read part of the story in the paper, but it was so horrible I couldn't read all of it." With that she started crying again.

Jim felt as distraught as Sharon Maxwell. Nothing more could be gained from continuing the questioning. When she had calmed down some Jim handed her his card. "Ms. Maxwell, this is my card. It has the number for my direct line at the department and also my cell phone number. If you can think of anything else will you give me a call? Ms. Maxwell nothing can bring Mary back," he continued softly. "But I promise you, I will do everything I can to find the person responsible for this."

As they got up to leave Blair asked, "Ms. Maxwell, is there anyone we can call? Is there anyone that can come and stay with you so you won't be alone at a time like this?"

"Actually, a friend of ours heard about what happened and she's on her way over now," Sharon relied.

Blair asked Jim for a piece of paper and as he wrote he said, "Ms. Maxwell, here is my number at the University and my cell phone." As he handed her the paper he asked, "if you need anything, even if it's just to talk, will you please give me call?"

As they walked back to the truck Jim said, "That's really nice of you, Chief, asking her to call you if she needed someone to talk to."

"I just tried to put myself in her position. If I had lost you, I would want all the friends around me I could have and I still don't think I would survive it."

They got into the truck and left the apartment complex.

"Where to now?" Blair asked as Jim pulled out into the highway.

"I was just thinking, Chief, we could cover more ground if we split up. Why don't I drop you off at the University? You can talk to Mary's friends, her teachers, and her advisor; anyone you can think of who might be able to shed a little light on this. I'm going to go talk to her co-workers at the restaurant, and then I think I'll just have a word with Mary's parents. I'll pick you up and we'll compare notes."

"You know, Jim, I get the idea that you don't think that Mary Hughes' death was related to the other two."

"On the contrary, Chief, I haven't been on this case long enough to form an opinion. When I get to the station tomorrow I'll start going over the reports on the other two victims and see what I can come up with there. After you get a chance to look at the files we'll revisit their families and friends and see if we can come up with any leads. I've seen cases like this before. If you lump them all together and investigate them en masse, you're bound to over look something. But, by investigating each case individually you will usually come up with a common denominator; a thread that ties them all together."

After making arrangements to meet at Blair's office in three hours, Jim dropped him off at the University while he went to the "Frog and Owl Café" to question Mary Hughes' co-workers, then on to the home of Mary's parents. In the meantime, Blair was to meet with Mary's faculty advisor and some of her instructors.

They met at Hargrove Hall at seven o'clock. Since they were tired, hungry and neither was in the mood to cook, they decided to grab Chinese take-out on the way back to the loft and compare notes while they ate dinner.

As Blair sat the table and got them a couple of beers Jim unpacked the food.

"Did you come up with anything Jim", he asked.

"Not a thing. Her boss and co-workers were shocked and upset by what had happened to her but no one could think of anyone who could possibly want to hurt her."

"What about her family? Would they talk to you?"

"Believe me they didn't want to," Jim said as he dished up the sweet and sour chicken and rice. "I actually had to threaten them. I told them I was looking into Mary's death and if I had to, I would take them downtown to question them. I told them I would charge them with obstructing a police investigation. I didn't get much out of them. I have pretty much ruled out anyone in that family as a suspect. But, God, Blair, I can't believe how cold they were. They didn't show Mary the concern and respect they would have shown upon hearing of a total stranger dying like that, and this is their own daughter! I thought my father was bad. But I know if anything happened to me he would at least show some measure of grief."

"That's something I just don't understand, Jim," Blair said as he got up to clear the table. "I know I'm not a parent but I still don't see how her family could have just written her off that way. If I did have children I know they could never do anything that would make me stop loving them."

"I know, Chief. I'm not a parent either. But if I were, I could never turn my back on my kid."

"What about you Chief, did you come up with anything at the U?"

"I talked with her faculty advisor, her instructors even a few of the students she had classes with. It's just like Sharon Maxwell told us. Everyone liked Mary; she was an excellent student, friendly to everyone. No one I talked to had anything negative to say about her. I know it could be a case of no one wanting to 'speak ill of the dead'. But, I really got the feeling she was genuinely liked. Everyone was really shocked about what happened to her, no one could think of anyone that would want to hurt Mary, especially by so brutal an assault. Of course, none of us wants to think we know anyone who was capable of doing something that horrible to another human being. I may be making something out of nothing, but when I talked to her advisor and a couple of students she had classes with, they seemed nervous somehow. I got the feeling that there was something they wanted to say and weren't sure if they should. I don't know, I maybe reading it all wrong. It could have just been the subject that made them nervous."

"Do you think I should go in and talk to them?" Jim asked as he began to stack the dishes into the dishwasher.

"No, I think if there is anything there, they will be more likely to talk to me than to the police. It will seem less official if I talk to them." Blair said as he gathered up the cartons and put them in the trash. "I really think they will be more inclined to open up to me."

"You have classes scheduled tomorrow. Ask around see if you can get anyone to talk. When I get to the station tomorrow I'll go over the other victims files and see if I can come up with anything there." When Jim finished loading the dishwasher he walked up behind Blair, put his arms around him and pulled him close.

"There's nothing more we can do tonight. So what do you say to our turning in?"

"Hey man it's only eight thirty," Blair teased. "I'm not even sleepy. Besides there's this great show on the Discovery Channel."

"There are a few things I'd like to discover, Chief. Like how many times I can make you come in one night."

"But, Jim, these anthropologists are going to explore the Yucatan."

"I'd much rather explore the anthropologist"

"Jim, you're hopeless!"

"I'm beginning to think getting you upstairs is hopeless."

Blair turned and put his arms around Jim's neck, softly kissed him and whispered, "I really love you, you know?"

"Yeah?"

"Yeah. Come to bed with me and I'll prove it."

"Gee, Chief, I thought you'd never ask."

Jim locked up as Blair turned out the lights. They made their way upstairs arm in arm.

When they reached the loft bedroom, Jim pulled Blair into his arms and kissed him as they slowly lay back on the bed. His tongue explored Blair's mouth as he opened his senses up to the essence that was Blair. Jim pulled back and looked at Blair and asked.

"Have I told you today that you're beautiful?"

"No, I don't believe you mentioned it today at all," Blair replied, smiling.

"How could I have been so thoughtless? Please let me correct that over site immediately.

You're absolutely beautiful. And you smell wonderful, like herbs and spice and something that's unique, something that is just you. It's wonderful!

I love to touch you, the firm muscles under such soft skin. Your hair is so soft and silky; I love to run my hands through it.

I love to hear your voice. It's like a sweet love song that is being sung just to me.

And, the way your kisses taste; so sweet so good."

With that, Jim captured Blair's mouth kissing him thoroughly, deeply. When Jim pulled away this time, he started kissing Blair's forehead and then he moved down placing gentle kisses on each eye. He placed a light kiss on the tip of his nose, one on each cheek and then another chaste kiss on the lips. He moved down to Blair's throat, nuzzling and kissing, resisting the urge to bite. He slowly unbuttoned Blair's shirt and slipped it off his shoulders, then began kissing his chest. Blair's hands stroked Jim's chest and back as Jim kissed his way downward. He moved to a nipple and took it into his mouth and sucked until he elicited a mown of pleasure from Blair. He then moved to the other nipple, suckling and lapping until it, too, reached pebble hardness. He moved his way down Blair's stomach kissing, lapping and nipping while Blair gave little whimpers of ecstasy at the delicious sensations.

After unfastening Blair's jeans he slid them and the boxers down. He then took the head of Blair's cock in his mouth as he gently cupped and rolled the balls in his hand.

"I want you, Jim, now."

"Get under the covers, sweetheart, while I get undressed."

Blair untied his shoes and kicked them, his jeans and his boxers off in one movement then got into bed. Jim quickly removed his own clothes and climbed in beside him.

Their lips locked together as Blair stroked Jim's back. Jim slid his hands underneath Blair sliding down his back until he cupped his cheeks, kneading them as his tongue explored Blair's mouth. Blair moaned as he started rubbing his erection against Jim's.

Blair pulled back and breathlessly begged, "Take me now, Jim. Please."

"Let me get you ready, sweetheart."

With that, Blair turned over on his stomach while Jim got the lube out of the drawer. Even though they had been lovers for months, they never tired of the sweet ritual of preparing each other.

Jim slid down in bed and separated Blair's thighs then slid his tongue slowly up the crevice eliciting a moan of pure pleasure. He coated his finger with the gel and gently messaged the little pucker. Slowly, he eased his finger inside and continued his gentle messaging while he reached underneath Blair and started stroking his cock. When he felt Blair's muscles completely relax he worked his finger all the way in and brushed against his prostate.

"Oh, God, Jim! More, please!" Blair panted. Jim then added another finger and picked up his pace.

Blair started humping forward into Jim's hand while thrusting backward on the fingers inside him. When Jim slowly added a third finger Blair's motions sped up; forward then back

"Oh, God. Oh, Jim... want you... need you... Oh, my God!" Blair yelled, writhing with pleasure as Jim rubbed against his prostate over and over, all the while he was pumping the straining erection.

"Please! Jim, I want you inside me. But I want to turn over. I want to... I need to see you."

"Oh yes, my sweetheart. My sweet, beautiful angel. Whatever you want... whatever you need." He slowly withdrew the three fingers and coated himself with the gel then helped Blair to turn over onto his back.

Blair spread his legs wide and pulled his knees up to his chest urging Jim to his center.

Jim positioned himself and slowly began sliding inside his lover's body. He paused several times to give Blair's muscles time to adjust, relax and accept him. Blair locked his legs around Jim's waist. Jim leaned down and kissed Blair then pulled back and watched his face. As he began to slowly thrust he whispered, "I love you Blair. I will always love you. You are so beautiful. My sweet, beautiful Blair. I want you. I need you. I love you."

As he sped up he began a mantra of "I love you, I love you, I love you." with each stroke. In a few more thrusts Blair climaxed crying out Jim's name. The spasms of his lover's passage forced Jim over the edge to his own climax.

They lay in each other's arms until their breathing and heart rate slowly returned to normal. Jim eased out of Blair and reached to the nightstand for tissues. He gently cleaned Blair's stomach and thighs and pulled him into his arms.

Blair whispered, "I love you, Jim, with all my heart."

"I love you too, my sweet angel."

They drifted to sleep in each other's arms.

The ringing of the phone woke them at 2 A.M.

"Ellison," Jim mumbled. "What? When?" Jim asked suddenly awake. "Okay... Right, Simon, we'll be right there."

"What is it Jim? What's wrong?" Blair asked as Jim got out of bed and started dressing.

"That was Simon, Chief. They found another body."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Chapter 3

Cherokeegirl's Index

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*