~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The Cascade Ripper
By: Cherokeegirl

Chapter Ten

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Wright took the advantage of Jim and Simon's attention being fixed on Blair by grabbing the gun hidden at his back and pointing it at Jim.

Blair shouted, "No" and tried to roll his body over Jim's just as Simon caught the movement out of the corner of his eye, turned and fired.

The bullet hit Wright in the shoulder and he dropped the gun with a startled cry as he bent over in pain.

"Alright, freeze. Right where you are. Don't make any sudden moves. Jim...Jim..." Simon called to attract his detective's attention as he slowly advanced toward Wright.

When Simon reached Wright, he kicked the gun away a short distance, bent over, picked it up and put it in his belt. All while keeping Wright in his sight the entire time.

"Alright, stand up slowly," Simon told him.

Wright seemed to be in a great deal of pain as he slowly stood holding his left arm. His breath came in gasps as he leaned to the side.

Simon holstered his own weapon and took out his handcuffs while Jim covered him, his own gun pointed at Wright's chest.

Blair moaned as he turned to ease all the way out of Jim's line of fire. That was just enough to distract Jim for an instant. In a sudden move that took both Simon and Jim by surprised, Wright made a massive effort and grabbed Simon in a chokehold, pulling the gun from Simon's belt and pointing it at his temple.

"Drop it or I shoot," Jim shouted pointing the gun at Wright's head.

"I'm getting out of here and he's going with me," Wright shouted as he started backing away dragging a struggling Simon with him.

"Jim, shoot," Simon managed to whisper. "Don't let him get away."

Jim focused his sight on Wright's forehead and fired. In a reflexive action Wright's finger tightened on the trigger. But, Simon only heard the soft click of an empty chamber. Wright had fired so many shots at Blair that the gun was empty.

Wright released Simon as he fell to the ground.

Jim advanced slowly toward Wright keeping his gun trained on him. He knelt and took Wright's pulse though it was quite obvious he was indeed dead.

"Simon, are you alright?" Jim asked turning to his friend and examining his throat.

"Yea, I'm okay. Just a little weak in the knees. Man, I must be living right for that gun to misfire like that. Maybe I should sit here and think about that for awhile. Oh, how's Sandburg?"

"He took a bullet to the shoulder," Jim said as he walked over and lay his arm gently around Blair's shoulders. "Wright also knocked him out so I think we are dealing with a possible concussion."

"It looks like you took a pretty bad beating there, Chief," Jim said as he examined Blair's face.

"Yeah, well, I kept pissing him off by trying to escape."

Jim just chuckled at the usual from his Guide and ran his fingers through his leaf-decorated hair. "Are you hurt anywhere else?" Jim ran his hands lightly over Blair's body using his sense of touch to detect any other injuries.

"When I escaped last night I fell and twisted my ankle."

"Simon, I think we need to get the chopper for Blair. I don't think he can make it far on foot"

"I agree. Sims stayed with the choppers; I'll call him and have him bring the chopper closer. That clearing we saw by the cabin should be big enough. Sims, do you read me, over?" Simon keyed the radio.

"Sims here Captain, over."

"I need you to bring the chopper in closer, land in the clearing near the cabin. Sandburg is injured and we need to get him to the hospital quickly. Sandburg, do you think you can walk that far?"

"Simon, really man that won't be necessary. I'm not hurt that bad; I can go back in the truck."

"Chief, we came in the choppers. It would take hours for backup to get here and we need to get you to the hospital."

"Hey, man, I'm cool with that. I can wait."

A weave to the side and a soft gasp did nothing to advance the sitting man's case.

"Simon, I think you should go in and get checked out along with Sandburg," Jim said as he examined Simon's throat more closely.

"No, I'm alright. I'll stay here and wait for the crime boys and ME to get here. I have a hunch this is where Wright brought all his victims to kill them. I want to make sure the cabin is gone over with a fine- toothed comb."

Come on, Chief. Let's go," Jim said as he heard the helicopter getting closer. He reached down, picked Blair up and began walking toward the landing site.

~*~

"Jim, you know I do not do heights," Blair said as Jim helped him into the helicopter. "Man, this thing doesn't even have any doors!"

"I know. Just take it easy. Breathe. You'll have your seat belt on. Just remember not to look down."

"Jim, really, I can wait until the backup team gets here. Jim, get me out of here," Blair shouted as the helicopter rocked a little as it took off.

"Oh Lord," Jim whispered. "Why couldn't you have let him stay unconscious just a little longer?" He practically wrapped himself around his panicking partner.

~*~

When Blair arrived at the hospital he was immediately taken to the emergency room. The examination and x-ray's revealed that the bullet hadn't lodged too deeply and since no major arteries had been hit they were able to remove it in the emergency room. Blood loss was still making him woozy. The rest of his injuries while painful were merely superficial. The doctor did want him to stay overnight for observation. When Blair was settled in his room Jim was allowed to see him.

Jim sat down on the edge of the bed and let his senses assure him that the doctors hadn't missed anything. Gently put his arms around Blair.

"Welcome home, sweetheart," he whispered raggedly against Blair's neck. "I was so scared. I didn't know what that lunatic had done to you."

"I'm here. I'm okay," Blair whispered as he put his unrestricted arm around Jim.

"I love you so, sweetheart. I couldn't go on if anything happened to you," Jim said as he bent down and kissed Blair tenderly.

They were so caught up in each other that they failed to notice Simon opening the door until he cleared his throat.

"Ellison. Sandburg. I just thought I'd come by and see how Sandburg is doing."

"I'm okay, Simon," Blair answered quietly while casting a worried look in Jim's direction. "I just have to spend the night for observation."

"Chief, I'm going to go outside for a moment. I'll be right back. Try and get some sleep."

"Jim..." Blair began looking from Jim to Simon.

"It's okay." Jim said as he and Simon started out the door. "Everything's going to be fine."

"Simon, there's something I need to tell you," Jim said as soon as the door closed. "I should have told you a long time ago."

"Let's go outside where I can sit down and have a cigar and we can talk."

~*~

"I don't know how much you heard in there..." Jim began.

"I heard enough to tell me that you and Sandburg are more than room mates. I have to tell you that I was more than a little surprised. I have to ask you, have you stopped to think what this could mean for your career? Even in our so-called liberal society a gay cop isn't going to have an easy time of it."

"No, Simon. I haven't. The only thing that I have thought about is the fact that I finally found someone good, kind and loving. Someone that loves me enough to accept me for who and what I am and doesn't try to change me. Someone I can depend on and who also needs me. I have never known anyone like him in my entire life. I have never had anyone to love me so totally and unconditionally. And, I consider myself lucky to have found him."

"If you are telling me that you disapprove then I will respect that. But, Blair and I have always conducted ourselves in a professional manner in the department and, to be honest, I think that what he and I do in our home on our own time is no one's business but ours. But if the department doesn't approve of Blair and me being together then I will turn in my badge."

"Relax, Jim. Whether you want to believe it or not, I am on your side. As long as you and Blair continue to conduct yourselves as you have been I don't see a problem. As long as your relationship stays out of the bullpen then there is no reason for the brass to be involved. On a personal level, I think Blair is the best thing that ever happened to you. I remember what you were like before he came along. He touched something in you. I'm not talking about helping you control your senses or some Sentinel and Guide thing. I'm talking about you, the man. So, if he can take you from the hard-ass son-of-a-bitch to the 'almost' human being that you are now, then I think we all owe him a tremendous debt of gratitude."

"Gee, Simon, thanks," Jim said smiling.

"Seriously, if you and Blair ever need a friend just call, okay?'

"Thank you and I mean that. Now if you will excuse me I would like to get back up to Blair."

"Fine. I'll walk back up with you."

"I will never understand what makes a man like Wright tick." Jim said as they walked to the elevator.

"Well, from what I have been able to find out, when Wright was injured in the line of duty he was forced to leave the force. He was hospitalized for a nervous breakdown shortly after that. Until recently he had been receiving triazolem, some miracle drug that was given to mental patients as a sedative. Now it's been discovered that it caused side effects ranging from agitation to murderous impulses. When you take a man like Wright and give him a drug like triazolem you're asking for disaster. Its use was discontinued but evidently the damage had been done to his system during treatment. Wright was getting it on the black market and using it to sedate his victims. At least we know there won't be anymore killings. I'm going home. It's been a hell of a day. There'll be mountains of paperwork on this one. Take care of Sandburg."

"I will and thanks Simon, for everything."

Simon waved as the elevator doors closed.

~*~

Blair appeared to be asleep when Jim opened the door. He quietly moved a chair close to the bed and sat. He gently took Blair's hand and breathed a silent prayer of thanks that Blair was safe.

"Jim?"

"I thought you were asleep," Jim said as he held Blair's hand with one hand and softly stroked Blair's hair with the other.

"What happened with Simon?"

"Don't worry everything's fine, Chief. Simon said he was glad that I had finally found you and that if we needed a friend to just give him a call. Now will you try and get some sleep?"

"That's all he said?"

"Well, I can't ravish you on my desk in the bullpen."

"There goes one fantasy," Jim could barely make out through the giant yawn Blair gave. "Will you stay with me just until I fall asleep?"

"Sweetheart, I'm not going anywhere."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Epilog

Cherokeegirl's Index

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*