-- Dear Journal 14 --
Our Friend Daryl

by Patt Paulos-Darrow


May 2nd, 2000

Dear J,

Simon called us into his office today to ask us if we could possibly keep an eye on Daryl for a week. We just looked at each other and smiled. We both answered at the same time. And of course the answer was yes.

We were tickled pink that he asked us at all. I mean they have some good friends in town that we figured they would ask first. Joan is leaving town for a month and Daryl will be staying with Simon for the entire month. Anyhow, he said, all right guys, now for the tough part. I wasn't going to ask you at first, I was going to ask someone else, but Daryl asked if he could stay with you two.

I could see the look of hurt in Jim's eyes first thing. And his body went stiff, and not in the places I want it too. I knew what Simon meant, so I would have to explain it to the big lug. :) I asked Simon if he wanted to come over tonight so we could tell him about Jim and I.

Simon smiled and relaxed a little when he realized that I understood what he was trying to say. I looked at Jim and said, babe, he doesn't know about us. And Simon is trying to protect all of us. He isn't embarrassed. I smiled at him and he started to relax a little bit too. These guys, what am I going to do with them, eh?

So I invited them to dinner and we made the plans but Jim was still quiet. On the way to the store, Jim told me he was upset that Simon didn't trust Daryl with us. I could not help cracking up. I said, Jim you are missing the whole point, man. He trusts us with Daryl's life, he just doesn't know what to tell him about us sleeping in the same room. And all of a sudden Jim got a big grin on his face and said, I didn't even think of that, Chief. Everything will be fine, I tell him and I know it will.

Well we got home and made dinner and dessert and waited for our company. Jim was so nervous. I love this man. I said, we have about an hour, how about a shower, big man? He can never resist when I call him big man. He is so whipped sometimes. :) I make a mad dash into the shower and he is not far behind and he makes love to me so slowly that I want to yank what little hair he has left right out of his head. :) But he seems to need this, so I go with it, and before long we are both over the edge and I gotta admit, it was fantastic. He is a great lover. No one has ever loved me the way he does. Lucky should be in my name somewhere.

At 6:30 Simon and Daryl arrived and they sat right down to dinner, Daryl said he was starving. Typical teen, right? :) Anyway we finished that and dessert and went in to sit to talk in the living room. And all of a sudden it was so quiet. Daryl smiled at us and said, aren't you glad you guys have the spare room now? And I kid you not, we all just about died. Our mouths were hanging open and we didn't know what to say.

I finally found my voice and said, Daryl how long have you known about Jim and I? He smiled and said, since you moved upstairs. He had used the bath up there once when he was over and saw that my stuff was up there on the nightstand. We were very impressed that this young man didn't let that bother him. I got up and asked if I could give him a hug, I really needed one from him and he stood up and let me hug him hard. And then Jim got up and shocked the hell out of all of us, he kissed his cheek and said, I love you Daryl. And he had big tears in his eyes. Then he hugged him again. Daryl said, it is okay Jim, I am going to stay with you guys and I love you both too. You are two of my best friends. So what are we going to do while I stay over?

Again, is this typical teen thinking, or what? He is such a great kid, we sure can't complain about that. :) We are all very, very lucky. Simon and Daryl were getting ready to leave and Simon told Jim, I will give you a list of things I don't want him to do and I expect to have your partner follow it to the letter. And Jim just smiled and said, I always have control over Blair. In his dreams. Daryl hugged me and whispered, we are so in luck. :0) Jim followed us out and grabbed Daryl and said, oh no you aren't. It was a great night. Everything is great in our lives. I love my job, Jim loves his, our boss is great, he is our best friend and we love his child. What more could you ask for, eh? Nothing, I am telling you right now. This is the life. :)

Okay, J, here comes your favorite part, the poem. :O) It is going to be about our life with Daryl.


Next

Back to Patt's Stories Index