Go to notes and disclaimers


Night Visitor
by Anna


It was dark and depthlessly warm; he couldn't move, and didn't want to. For a moment the man's mind blended the current sensations surrounding him with the sense of hanging high above a cold dark forest, among whose trees hung the thick webbing of swarming insects, and then he was on the forest floor, having fallen hard to land on his arm. In the dream he was a phantom, but real pain lanced through him. He still could not move, but remained bound by paralysis, which seemed to hold him in invisible tiny threads, which stretched and tightened... tightened...

He woke and discovered himself bundled utterly in the quilted cocoon of bedcovers. It was a stunning and strange awakening. Sunlight lay across him in buttery squares, and the thin oatmeal–colored weave of the curtains made liquescent patterns across his body that shifted with the hot air wafting upward from the room's heating vent. It was so warm. He blinked, smiled sleepily to himself, though it was a faltering smile, rather cautious. Despite the previous night, he felt sure that at any moment he would be torn from his resting place, kicked out like a cat into the winter snow that had fallen in the night to drift and heap the suburban landscape outside the window. He could see, through a crack in the curtains, a huge drooping tree of snow. Tall tree—he was on the second floor, and yet its tangled branch-work filled his line of sight.

Breakfasty sounds and smells were drifting up from below: bacon and butter, clinks and mutters—or, wait—perhaps that was a radio. He sat up awkwardly, swaddled in plaid flannel and the dark blue wealth of the bed's comforter, then slithered out of its wrap to stand upright on the carpeted floor. He had been uncannily quiet, but even so from the floor below he heard an answering pause. When the sound of movement resumed, he went to the bathroom, pissed, and then looked at himself in the mirror. His dark hair stuck up freakishly around his head and he scowled while fingering it back into a show of submission. This small act of grooming performed, he was left with the decision of whether or not to dress. But his clothes were nowhere to be seen, and borrowing from his host's closet without asking might earn him the kind of curt reprimand that would strain their fragile truce.

He went downstairs naked, wondering if his favorite jeans had been washed or burned, and strolled into the kitchen with only a moment's selfconsciousness, which had more to do with a sense of being a lopsided Venus de Milo than any worry about his bare genitals. But it was late to be worrying about that now. The man at the stove looked up, looked him over, and then looked expressionlessly back to his frying pan, in which he was stirring scrambled eggs.

Alex Krycek smiled dryly. Skinner's aplomb was enviable; the man could take a stairwell gangbang like a pro—how much would a naked punk in his kitchen faze him? Answer: not damn much.

"You didn't ask if I liked scrambled," he said, moving to lean over the stove, which was set into a countertop kitchen-island. He wondered idly if Skinner had installed it to reduce his likelihood of having his back to a door when cooking. That was how Alex's mind worked—tactically. The look Skinner gave him was not easily readable. His opaque, somehow flatly-set eyes traced their gaze over Alex again.

"You seem to have avoided infection," he said.

Alex absently touched the bandaged bullet graze on his cruelly abrupted left shoulder. Wish they'd hit a bit lower, he had remarked dryly to Skinner last night. What else good an artificial arm if not to take the odd, stray gunshot wound or two.

"I have an excellent constitution."

"Fortunate for you—since you seem to have no respect for anyone else's." It was an offhand dig, and Alex smirked. "Politics over breakfast, Walter? How gauche."

"Get dressed," Skinner said shortly.

At the order, which came without elaboration, Alex looked around. He disliked being forced to ask questions, so chose instead the route of first-hand investigation, which led him to the small laundry room off the kitchen, where his clothes lay strewn, clean and hot, across the top of the dryer. He slid into his jeans, but merely held on to his sweater. A small window looked out over the yard and he pushed the curtain aside to stare out across the snow; a chill came off the window and his nipples tightened in response, and then a sudden spill of gooseflesh rushed across his exposed skin. Outside the sun glared over the fresh snow, riding its elaborate cursive up to buried fence-posts and drift-clad tree trunks. In the next yard children were building a snowman.

Alex returned to the kitchen. "You want me to leave in daylight?" he said in a casual voice, as he moved toward Skinner. The other man was ladling food onto two plates; when Alex rounded the edge of the counter, he moved—just slightly, but in a way that suggested a wariness of proximity. Alex halted, then moved closer. Their eyes flickered with glances that darted back and forth around each other's faces. Skinner put the back pan down on a burner with a tiny bang that shot a thrill along Alex's always wired nerves.

"Did I say I wanted you to leave?" Skinner said coldly, jerking his chin a little in a characteristically alpha-male way that made Alex want to smile, but now was not the time to tempt the other man's readiness to cuff him.

"My mistake," Alex said easily, tossing his sweater off to one side and sliding a footstep closer.

"What do you think you're doing?" Skinner asked with dispassionate interest. "Nothing." Alex ducked his head and fastened his lips at the pulse-point of Skinner's throat. The other man, unmoving, sighed and said nothing, but the pulse under Alex's lips jerked hard. Alex, nuzzling, could feel his hair brushing underneath the other man's unshaven chin. Intimacy? Not exactly. But he took what he could get, when those rare chances came.

"I don't like cold eggs," Skinner said, pushing him away finally after a long minute, looking not at all distracted by Alex's maneuvers.

They ate in silence, Alex not wishing to annoy Skinner and thus choosing the safest course, Skinner wordless by nature. It was not a brooding breakfast, though, just a quiet one, and after the details of clearing and cleaning, it was not too surprising when Alex felt hard hands grab him and twist him around for kissing. They both tasted of strong coffee; their mouths were still hot from it. It grew more difficult to tell from which source Alex's tongue burned—scorching drink or kiss. He felt warm, replete with sleep and food, sated but ready to give pleasure if it was demanded. It was demanded. No problem. He remained grateful for Skinner's reprieve, temporary though it might be. Last night, he'd only meant to break in, to take what he could find in the way of cash, portables, and first aid, and leave before his ex-boss and long-ago lover returned. A stupid move, perhaps, but it had been stupider getting caught, enough so that he wondered if he'd wanted to—and Alex Krycek was not a man normally given to such incisive self-analysis.

Danger—wasn't that was nine-tenths the kick? His body said yes. Walter Skinner wasn't his usual type. Alex preferred a prettier and more sexually ambiguous sort of animal. A Fox, actually. But muscle and machismo had its occasional brute appeal, even when combined with a testy bureaucratic temperament and a soul of chipped ice. 'Lovers' was a strong, sweet word for what they had actually been, for their numbered handful of secret ruttings, accidental, banal, impersonal. But what they'd had had been enough to forge a bond—a thin, strained one, to be sure, but for now it was holding.

"You're not getting enough, Walter," Alex murmured against the other man's mouth. Skinner's trouser-clad cock was jutting so stiffly against Alex's belly he might have been the original inspiration for the pistol-in-the-pocket joke.

Skinner's mouth removed itself and his thumb dug cruelly into the soft flesh beneath Alex's chin. "Don't call me Walter."

Alex half-laughed. "Christ, you sound just like—"

"Don't say it."

His order was equivocal, but his meaning clear. Surprised into annoyance, Alex said, "Why the hell not?"

With a voice bruising in its coolness, Skinner replied, "If I think about what I'm doing, you'll regret it."

"You mean if I invoke Mulder's name—Mulder, Mulder—you'll have a crisis of conscience—hey—" Alex jerked out a gasp as Skinner slammed him into the counter and slapped him hard. He was already regretting his reckless, unthinking taunts, but not sure how to appease the other man. Besides the obvious.

Danger. Nine-tenths the charge.

"Fuck—cut it out," he said as Skinner's hand moved to impact again, this time in a backslap. He could not quite pull his face from the blow's path. Rough knuckles seemed to drag directly across his cheekbone as if cutting the intervening flesh free, then the right side of his face exploded in pain. Familiar pain, but still distressing. He tasted blood.

"Go for it, killer," Alex rasped out when Skinner's hand rose again.

Skinner stopped. His face was darkly lit, taut but writhing with suppressed anger. Alex could read the struggle taking place within. Would the lust be subsumed into the violence, or the violence into lust? Alex, hoping to help the other man make his decision, deliberately stretched his right arm out along the counter and presented his body as an offering. A punch in the gut might have been forthcoming; it was a chance he took. But Skinner grabbed him and shoved him into movement, pushing him out of the kitchen, then up the stairs. There were a few times when Alex was tempted to kick out and send the other man bouncing down the carpeted steps, but he held the dark fire of his soul in check.

Last night had been quick, rough—need meeting need—Skinner astride him on the enveloping softness of the bed, Alex falling nearly asleep even as he was impaled and ridden thoroughly into an orgasm that had drained away his last reserves of energy and sent him sinking at last into blissful darkness. Now, Alex suspected Skinner would exact a fuller measure of payment for debts incurred.

"Why didn't you get a Christmas tree," he asked idly, glancing down off the landing as they moved toward Skinner's room.

"Cut the small talk," Skinner said tonelessly, close on Alex's heels.

"Christ, you're a hard ass—hey, okay—don't push me." The injunction was literal—Skinner's large hand had just impacted in the small of his back—but the words, bitten off with terse anger, also carried another level of warning.

In the bedroom they squared off. "You came to me," Skinner said coolly. "Don't get uppity."

Alex stared at the other man a moment, his jaw twitching askew and lips parting slightly as mild laughter caught in his throat. "Yeah, okay."

It had been a concession, but Skinner's eyes narrowed at something, the grudge perhaps, in Alex's tone of voice. "You're wanted on assault charges, and for questioning in relation to possible charges of conspiracy and kidnapping, not to mention a host of other likely infractions of the federal code and local laws. And if I don't include murder on your roster of harm, it's only for lack of evidence, not plausibility. You want me to pick up that phone?" A small movement of Skinner's head indicated the machine on the bedside table.

"What do you think?" Alex said coldly.

"Hard on a one-armed man in prison, I'd think. Hard to keep your balance when the boys on the cell-block have you bent over a toilet and are taking turns using you for one."

"What a prize fucker you are." Alex shook his head, still more amused—even admiring—than perturbed. His eyes glinted and gleamed. "Does Mulder have any idea what species of shark lurks under that button-down facade of yours?"

"Don't push me," Skinner said in a toneless replay of Alex's earlier words.

"You've got a hard-on for him, always have." Alex's chin nudged upward in a tiny jerk of defiant emphasis. "Saint Mulder the Credulous. You can admit it to me, sir." The 'sir' was mocking, the observation a jibe whose point was dipped in acid. But Skinner wasn't playing.

Instead he said unexpectedly, "That extra punch of yours—that time you and your associates jumped me. I've been waiting a while to thank you for that."

"Well, you know... I was missing you." Alex's lips thinned and his eyes flattened. His voice pushed so hard to make a lie of the statement that the words were inverted back into what might have been nearly truth.

Walter Skinner stared at the cheeky dark-souled phantom who stood before him. Clear-eyed, he had no illusions about Alex Krycek, didn't shroud him in mists of inappropriate glamour. He had no glamour, no authority, no sway on Skinner, and he was ethically irremediable. And yet he was far more than a machine made flesh, an amoral automaton set into action by a higher power. What creed or need motivated Krycek, Skinner didn't know, but despite his apparent rootlessness and violent bent, he was no sociopath. Nor was he a fool; Skinner would bet on it. Had.

After Krycek's disappearance, implicating him in evens that were very likely government-sponsored illegalities, Skinner had adjusted into a hard period of anticipation. He had waited for the letter, the envelope and inevitable videocassette—had waited, gut coiling, for the remark that would one day be dropped oh so casually by the man who had first been introduced to Skinner with the disingenuous appellation "Mr Morley". And it never came. Instead, much later—after Krycek's brief but brutal reappearance in his life—he had received during a solitary restaurant lunch one day a handwritten note, delivered by his waiter. Brief, neat, it had read: "I pulled that punch. You've been expecting to hear from me. This is it. I never recorded anything. I never told. We cheated the bastards of that. Thought you'd like to know."

The relief, the ambivalence, still twined in Skinner's gut with less equivocal and disturbing feelings—simple anger, among others. But he himself had been pushed down a path that was perhaps not very different from the one Krycek traveled now. He could have been—well, if not another Krycek, then an equally damaged and tainted product. Public disgrace, perhaps a suicide that no amount of planning could render dignified—these could have been his reward for recklessness, for playing fast and loose in a muddy field he'd had no business entering.

Now here was Krycek, standing in front of him, bearing the ugly evidence of reaped justice, however informal and extreme. Irregular in probity, he was now irregular in the flesh, and looked like the botched remnant of a methodical dissection, the kind of thorough dismantling and disappearing that puppet-masters liked to inflict when their toys had outlived usefulness. He knew the real reason for Krycek's crudely broken body, but it still jarred Skinner's resolve not to re-entrench himself in matters sinister. Krycek was firmly on the left side of the fence, but even so Skinner had harbored him and fed him eggs and buried his cock up that fine ass, unable to resist exacting his own measure of private recompense.

And he wanted more. Needed more. One pounding of flesh was proving... not enough.

He's right, Skinner thought abruptly. I need to get laid more often.

"So—what? We on for it? You want me on my knees?" Krycek shrugged a bit with impatience. "On my hand and knees," he added with dark sarcasm, rather as an afterthought.

"We can try that," Skinner said. He crossed his arms and drew off his navy-blue tee shirt with one fluid move, then tossed it on the dresser. He stripped off jeans as well, then considered Krycek. It had been disturbing to watch him work into his sweater in the kitchen—a loose woolen item designed like a jacket, zippered for convenience, it suggested a uniform that necessity had made too familiar, and even so Skinner had had to resist the instinctive urge to help Krycek dress.

Undressing him, however, would be expedient. He moved toward Krycek, who flinched back a hair then stilled watchfully. But when Skinner's hand lifted to the sweater's zipper, Krycek said in an arctic voice, "I can do that."

"Beside the point. Shut up." Skinner unzipped him, shoved the garment off excruciatingly asymmetrical shoulders—one ongoing, one abridged—and stared at Krycek's body in the light of day. A few scars, but no scales, no bolts or hinges on the other man's emphatically human flesh. The ordinariness of torso warred with the severed arm, the absence that remained like the stubborn presence of what should have been.

"You're frowning," Krycek said quietly, almost breathing the words somewhere in the vicinity of Skinner's jaw. Though jaded, his voice always seemed on the verge of expressing interest; this tension of opposites always unresolved.

"Mm," Skinner grunted abstractedly. He handled the nape of Krycek's neck, ran his thumb up a line of tendon behind one ear. Dark hair, too soft for such a hard man, filled Skinner's hand as he lifted it to the curve of skull in which this creature resided, his life's fire coiled like a nest of restless snakes within. What were his thoughts like? Like generations of vipers, short-lived but breeding and replicating themselves in the way of cells and habits? Knotted, unknowable, a serpentine entwinement of drives and dreams. It was perhaps too susceptible of him to wonder, too close to caring- -Skinner knew this, and yet curiosity itched at him. It was as if he possessed a psychic nose that sniffed the scent of disappointed need, of the bitter ash left behind after a thorough betrayal. Whatever the powers that be had done to their tool, Alex Krycek, Skinner suspected it could have been avoided, if only. And this was the rotten heart of the truth.

He caught Krycek's—Alex's—gaze and their eyes locked in grave mutual contemplation, the kind of look men give each other who are unsure how far to trust. But trust wasn't an issue here. There couldn't possibly be any trust left between them. Too much had happened. But the younger man's face was close and fascinating, dark and sharp and strangely formed, both fiendish and angelic, if by angels one imagined something fallen and conflicted, impure and fierce. One of the sword-wielding angels, with a score to settle and an excess of zeal. Not unlike Mulder, if one followed through on the likeness, and perhaps that had been part of the appeal.

Skinner kissed his fugitive, and immediately half regretted the impulse and its fulfillment. His earlier kisses had been less deliberate, more furious. Just another kind of feeding. This was too much, too much intimacy. And yet if he gave into his opposing desires he would do no better, would likely do more harm. Brutality was easy, but the pleasure was too fast and facile, and the aftermath would yield no satisfaction.

Krycek's mouth tasted of mingled, not unpleasant flavors, and offered to Skinner the uniqueness of itself, of a distinctive shape and method recollected by this kiss. He kissed as if he wanted to be fucking with his tongue. Impersonal in so much else, he was rawly present in his kisses, which was why Skinner had rarely allowed the indulgence during their handful of hotel-room liaisons.

A limber-fingered hand came up behind Skinner's own neck, to rest on the curve of bone and muscle where his remaining hair lay close to the skin in a short, rough pelt. Skinner sighed into Krycek's mouth. Regret. Dark regrets.

"It's been a while for you too, hasn't it," he said without forethought, intuitive enough to decode the text of Krycek's tensed body, the meaning of its fresh, sharp arousal.

"A while," Krycek said in his naturally husked, brooding tenor, that incongruous bedroom voice which had been of the hooks to catch Skinner's original interest. "I'm not the lay I used to be," he said, self-mockingly. Voice still low, dark and stretched as leather or velvet; metaphors more suitable to the wet soft fabric of his tongue, which could be like the lapping of suede across Skinner's body.

Skinner's flesh prickled with renascent interest. "You'll do," he said briefly. In answer, Krycek just breathed out a tiny ironic snort, while Skinner freed the mental tethers on his hands and let them roam across the younger man's body. Why not do as he pleased; there was no one watching, no reckoning. He had long ago accepted the indifference of an abstract god, and Justice wore a blindfold, didn't she. Good thing; if not, she might see more than she bargained for.

He touched the sharp blades of collarbones, traced the line of hair bisecting the chest, thumbed nipples as small and perfect as new pennies. Krycek had the lean and hungry look of a skulking alley cat, but it suited him. Now he was descending into that perpetual erotic breathlessness that Skinner remembered so well. From this point on, if true to form, he would play a symphony of small, grudging gasps, until orgasm approached, when he would curse and then scream, fighting surrender every step of the way. Last night he'd been too tired to vocalize. A pity, but today should make up for that.

"Get on the bed," Skinner said quietly, pulling away and moving off to ensure the readiness of accessories. The lube was old, the stock of condoms generic, but both were usable. When he looked up from his night-table, Krycek had shucked back out of his jeans and climbed onto the rumpled bed. It was impossible not to reassess him with every gaze: the shock of seeing his mutilated body had a surprising resiliency, still stunned and distracted Skinner, catching him off guard each time he reviewed the absence from a different angle.

Krycek noticed Skinner's examination. "You ever hear some guys getting turned on by amputees? Think they have clubs for that? Big and beautiful, they got—how about, I dunno, 'Chopped and Charming'? How's that sound."

"Ugly."

"Well, no fucking kidding."

"Are you fishing for compliments?" Skinner asked, incredulity striking him.

Krycek, who had turned to stare out the window, good arm wrapped around his folded knees, looked up at him askance. Derision colored his words. "Oh please. Give me a break."

Had there actually been a tiny crack in that brittle voice? Skinner didn't trust his own judgment; Krycek was a hell of an actor—and he was always working some angle.

"I've seen worse," Skinner said. The words were blunt, laconic, but Krycek nodded once in acknowledgment.

"Part of the trade, or so I've been told." Krycek picked lightly at a scab on his knee, face wiped clean of expression. "They just don't tell you all that you'll have to trade... for the trade."

"I can't feel sorry for you."

"Who asked you to." Still erased of facial expression, Krycek stretched back out on the bed. "Come fuck me. I could use a good fuck. Last night didn't count. I was out of it."

"You're in no position to make demands," Skinner said, but he sat down on the bed. The words were empty, not even the ghosts of old teasing. They had never teased each other during their times together, rarely spoken, even. They had hooked up, fucked, and then gone their separate ways, a minimalist masculine ritual.

Krycek's head turned on the heap of pillows. He looked decadent, darkly impish, a Beardsley catamite scrawled across the sheets. Skinner lay down next to him and fingered the plane of Krycek's unshaven jaw. "I can't kiss you any more like this," he said, half to himself. "Someone might wonder about the rash."

"I'd love to see you explain that to Kimberly," Krycek snickered.

Her name on this outlaw's lips gave Skinner a jolt and he frowned. "I'm thinking seriously of gagging you. So you might want to shut up."

"I might, I might not. You ever contemplated the benefits of a one-handed man in handcuffs? Easy to turn." Krycek's smile was dangerous, feral.

"Oh, I'm contemplating that." Eschewing further talk, Skinner bent and turned his attention to the younger man's outstretched body. He contemplated—through action—the benefits of fucking a man who expected little or no consideration: every gift was a favor and a surprise. Krycek seemed intrigued, amused, that Skinner wanted to lick his nipples, tongue his belly, embroider his flesh with the roses and bruises of pleasure. Amused, and then encouraging.

"Fuck, yes," he groaned, when Skinner sucked in the lifting length of his cock. Alex cupped Skinner's face and felt the amazing evidence of what was occurring—incredible, the feel of the other man's mouth stretched around his swelling flesh, lips welding to his flushed skin and leaving it damp but burning with aggressive suction. One hand only to grip and guide his tormentor, but it was nearly enough. Lips slid up his shaft, and then the furnace of Skinner's mouth became a focused enclosure on his cockhead, which leaked and pearled with the juices rising within.

Alex's hips trembled, already straining to shove. Who could have guessed that Walter Skinner would condescend to blow him? In their half dozen times together, he'd only lowered himself to the job—literally and figuratively—no more than twice. After so much passed time and dirty water under the bridge, it was extraordinary that he'd accepted Alex's visit at all, let alone joined him for an old-times-sake buddy fuck.

Thank you, Jesus, thought Alex dizzily. It felt so damn good, rich water upwelling inside him after a shriveling, soul-scorching drought, when he had felt so bone-dry of feeling and humanity that only stubbornness had stayed his gun hand from the final act of self-obliteration. So fucking sweet to have a man go down on you, to want to.

"Ah, Christ—don't—yes, don't—"

"Don't stop?" Skinner asked goadingly, after removing his mouth.

"Oh, shit." Alex groaned. Skinner's hand moved deftly on his shaft, fingering the thick vein along the underside, tapping his pulse and working the taut, blushing skin around in small circles that traveled up and then down into his balls, where they became a concentrated storm of slow, rotative pressure, stroking around and around, building an inexorable ache.

"Who've you been practicing on?" he grated out, desperate need making his voice harsh and thick, though laughter jagged beneath the surface.

"Myself."

"Good work."

Skinner responded by sliding his hand lower; Alex could feel those strong, blunt fingers seeking the entrance to his body, and then felt their prodding measure slide home, into the ringed heat of him, where he was still slippery and stretched from the previous night. He lifted his legs to accommodate the readying. Hard fingers burrowed deeper, found his prostate—another surprise—and began rubbing a kindling fire there.

"All this foreplay—you'll spoil me," Alex said, his tone falling somewhere between sarcasm and breathless gratitude.

Too late, Skinner might have said, but something held his tongue even from this most minor of jeers. "You could probably use some spoiling," he said instead, much to his bewildered dismay. To cover for his lapse into a tolerance too generous for his own comfort, he jabbed his fingers deep and simultaneously drew himself up between Krycek's legs.

Kneeling there, he withdrew his hand and reached for lube and condom. Krycek lay staring at him, his one arm raised now to loosely parenthesize his head. Lips parted, eyes heavily lidded with lust, he was still capable of projecting an interiorized brooding. He might have been plotting, might merely have been composing a mental shopping list, but he looked like a devil meditating on his next work of mischief.

After rolling on the condom, Skinner rubbed a thick smear of lube inside the younger man's body. The dryer, the tighter—it would have been a ball-swelling rush to ram home and watch the younger man's face battle the admission of pain—Skinner suspected that Krycek's Achilles' heel was a pride in his own endurance. But he hadn't felt the hots to make a sparring partner cry 'Uncle' since he was a rude adolescent. Regression was to be avoided.

Yet if Skinner wasn't cruel, he wasn't particularly considerate either. He entered with a driving, powerful thrust whose impetus wanted to split the other man's tight ass apart, and the full length of his cock filled that hot channel with a throbbing demand not to be resisted. Krycek arched against the splitting force, pushing into it with perverse greed. His ass gripped Skinner's cock and milked it: short, stabbing muscular contractions that were like to make short work of them both. Skinner wrestled the other man's hips and rammed deeper, abandoning caution entirely. Krycek's good hand stripped his own shaft with a frantic rhythm that Skinner matched until he felt the first orgasmic spasms begin, clamping down on his swollen organ. At that point, his own hips lost their tempo and his movements devolved into primitive, irregular thrusts, arrows shot wildly through his cock to spill their flaming burden out the far screaming mouth of him. That small exploding point seemed a wound jetting blood if not seed: it was that keen, that sharply bladed.

And when it was over, it left Skinner cut to ribbons. He drew out of Krycek's body with selfish carefulness, disposed of the mess clinging to his aching cock, then dropped heavily back onto the bed, from which position he stared at the ceiling and considered the implications of his act and the undiscovered future of his compromised life.

A mess of complicated shadows, a house of smoke and mirrors—this was what his world had become.

Neither of them said anything for a long time. Krycek, by all appearances, slept. He himself could not sleep, but lay instead on one side, gaze cradling the other man with what should have been an impersonal form of witness. When Krycek finally woke it was like a cat, with simply opened eyes that were immediate clear and watchfully conscious. They stared at each other.

"So where are you going from here?" Skinner asked almost flatly, but with a slight, accusatory emphasis on the 'are' that he hadn't meant to allow.

"I don't know. I don't make many long-term plans these days." The words were implicitly evasive, but then again, what else would they be.

"It amazes me that you had no one else in D.C. to turn to," Skinner said, a subdued taunting.

"Says a lot, doesn't it."

"You have an agenda. You always have." Skinner knew he was probing further than he should. There were things he should not know, questions he should not risk the answers to.

"I'm a bit short on options... these days."

Something passed unspoken between their mutually watchful faces that resulted in a mildly incredulous look appearing on Krycek's face.

"You have one for offer?"

"How could I," Skinner returned curtly, but he felt a frisson of urgency in his flesh that was not so much sexual as fearful. He was precariously closer to the edge of rashness than he could have believed possible. Events of the past day had been the catalyst for long buried energies to rise to the burning surface. He wanted things, many of them not very nice, and not appropriate for a man in his position. And yet he wanted them fiercely, with an unexpected lust. Pleasures, secrets—power. His own power, not the poisoned residual gifts of someone else's venomous fangs. Power acquired like that was dangerous; those fangs could not be loosened from the soul once they'd bitten deep.

Krycek was studying him, his dark eyes radiantly detached like those of a jungle cat, but curious. "You'd like to stay on the side of the angels," he said, voice smooth, rolling out his observation. "But you and me, we're not getting our wings. In case you were still wondering."

"Speak for yourself."

"Why do you even try to keep your hands clean anymore—because you think you work for Justice, or because you think that one day you'll get your dick in his ass and won't be able to keep it up unless you're pure."

"Don't go there." Skinner spoke without rancor, and his calm seemed to halt Krycek's desire to bait.

"You know where I've come from—you know who I worked for. The fucking U.S. government." Krycek's voice remained equally calm and steady, unraised. "Legality, morality, justice—sing it all you want, but there are always going to be men who have to decide what has to be done, what the people need to know and what they can't handle."

"Don't try and sell me on the cause, Krycek. I'm not buying and I'm not playing."

"Yet."

"There's always a yet," Skinner said, not in concession but in familiar resignation that carried a whiff of bitterness. He paused, caught up in a moody gyre of conflicted thoughts, then raised his restless, ambivalently shadowed eyes again to consider Krycek. "I want to know where you're going."

"Why."

"To know whether or not I should let you go."

Alex, rendered momentarily slack-jawed, stared at Skinner, then shook himself scoffingly free of the brief, gripping sense of—of what? Some feeling he hadn't had in half a lifetime, but which was delusional. Skinner had certainly not meant to imply concern; he'd meant the obvious, that he was contemplating turning Alex in to the authorities and needed some reason not to, however strained and mendacious. And Alex, always ready with a breezy lie, felt speech dry up on his tongue.

Finally, after a long minute, he said, "I can't tell you where I'm going because I don't know. The only contacts I have right now are people I don't want to contact. Someone I was supposed to meet in Maryland never showed up, but some ugly fuckers did. I think there's a contract out on me—besides the 'official' one, I mean. You know, don't you, that I'd never stand trial? I wouldn't last a week in any prison."

He was so dryly matter of fact that Skinner's gut clenched with anger against the machinery of power that could enact such events with casual rote. It wasn't sentimentality that made him angry on Krycek's behalf, but he felt again that knotty, twisting regret for a man who had been used and mangled by the system, and though it were playing right into Krycek's own best interests, he'd be damned if he gave the man over to certain death at the long-reaching hands of their shared shadow government.

"I know," he said, giving Krycek's rhetorical question his own phatic reply. "I'm not turning you in. I wouldn't have fucked you if I were."

"Yeah, that would be a tricky one." Krycek's lips turned up in fleeting impishness.

"Do you have money?"

"If I did—"

"You wouldn't be here," Skinner finished for him, grimacing.

"Mm. I don't have a stash anywhere here in the States. My resources have dried up. I entered the country with one knapsack and now even that's gone."

"Why don't you call up Mother Russia and see if she'll fly you home."

"Yeah, well, that's the problem. I don't think my foster mom's feeling too friendly right now."

"Tell me you're not really a traitor. I'll feel so much better about this." Skinner's double-bladed sarcasm escaped him without warning, and after the brief lull that followed they both shared an equally abrupt release of humor—small winces and snorts that didn't quite pass for laughter but which defused the sparking tension.

"We could swap philosophies on nationalism versus globalism, but I don't particularly want to go there right now, do you?"

"Later," Skinner said.

It took a moment for the implications of that single word to sink into Alex's pooling thoughts. He blinked. "How much later?" he asked despite himself, hoping there was not the slightest hint of wist in his voice, suspecting there was. "Like, later later, or... later."

"I think it would be a good idea to keep you around. No one would expect you to be here in the D.C. area."

"What, in Walter Skinner's new Alexandria colonial? Yeah, that would spin their compasses all to hell." Alex snorted again.

"You can't stay here," Skinner said bluntly. "But the city is full of discreet apartments for those... close encounters."

"You can't crack a joke," Alex said ruefully.

"I wasn't trying," Skinner lied.

"You really want a rentboy? I'm touched. Impressed. Walter Skinner cultivates his image as suave government exec—what's your next status symbol—cottage on the Eastern shore, yacht for hosting those get-friendly DEA parties—"

"Don't make me reconsider my offer."

"Do it now if you're going to. You think I'm going to change my stripes once I'm shackled to a waterbed for your weekend pleasure?"

"Jesus, you're an asshole."

"No shit, Walter."

They glared at each other, but more mildly than their words warranted. Neither was up to more than a negotiational skirmish, and that fact was clearer to them both with every passing instant.

"I'm going to be bored as shit," Alex groused.

"You'll get over it."

"You're gonna be followed sooner or later."

Skinner rolled over onto his back, unkinking cramped muscles. "Let me worry about that." He felt rather than saw Alex sidelong gleaming darkly at him.

"I don't think so, stud. It's my throat up for cutting."

"Then just let me worry about it for now—and I'll update you when I think of what the hell I'm going to do about it—all right?" His tone was flat, subliminally impatient.

Alex sat up, ran a hand through his tousled hair. From this position he locked gazes with Skinner again. "Did I ever tell you I don't go for butch daddies?" he asked with bland, conversational snarkiness.

"You're not my type either."

"As long as that's settled... what's for lunch?"

"It's Christmas, what do you think?" Skinner watched with bemused intrigue as Alex's jade-green eyes nearly betrayed their owner by lighting him up from the inside.

"Turkey? Ham—duck?"

"Duck? Christ, where did you grow up."

"That's classified." Alex smirked.

"There's a turkey in the oven."

"God, I thought I was imagining that smell." He cocked his head at Skinner, lips parting slightly. "You always cook a turkey for one?"

Skinner stood and pulled on his jeans, then moved to the bedroom door, where he stood with his shirt in his hand and his eyebrows moderately raised. "Depends. Sometimes guests drop in unexpectedly over the holidays."

He left the room, and Alex heard his muted descent on the carpeted stairs. He sat on the dishevelled bed, on his pleasantly sore ass, and attuned himself to the awkward disbalance of his body, and watched the play of curtained light turn small windings of fire in the dresser mirror. Funny, how life clung to the body and would not be shaken off. Merry Christmas. He might not need that gun yet after all.

###

eliade@drizzle.com

07 Jan 1998
NC-17. Skinner/Krycek slash. These fellows are the ostensibly the property of Chris Carter, a cruel heartless god who doesn't really deserve them. Archive as you like, without alteration. Spoilers for Terma. One small turn of phrase borrowed from Sheare Bliss, whom I hope won't mind. This is my holiday piece (of ass), such as it is. Enjoy. Goodwill toward manly men and the rest of you lovely lot, too.
Feedback welcome: eliade@drizzle.com

back to top


home
[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Gallery] [Links] [Resources] [Home]