Go to notes and disclaimers


To Have, to Own, to Hold
by Viridian5


"And inside, inside is war all the time"
—"Lilith/Eve" by Machines of Loving Grace

"I know your life is empty
And you hate to face this world alone
So you're searching for an angel
Someone who can make you whole...

I can not save you...
I can't even save myself...
So save yourself

I know that you've been damaged
Your soul has suffered such abuse
But I am not your savior
I am just as fucked as you..."

—"Save Yourself" by Stabbing Westward

Part I—Reaching Out

//This is sad, Danny, really sad.// Daniel Pendrell looked at the wall rack of guitar string packs and still couldn't find the ones his brother had asked for. //Asked for? Told you to get and knew you would. No one even asks anymore, not when Danny is such a nice guy.// He should ask one of the employees for help but, out of some urge to wallow in self-pity, didn't.

//I should be doing better things with my Saturdays. The sad thing is, I don't have any better plans.//

Danny felt uncomfortable wandering among all the jamming musicians testing instruments and equipment. As stupid as it might sound, he couldn't help feeling that they had fraud radar and knew he didn't belong here. A cacophony of tunes on many different instruments fought for dominance at occasionally ear- splitting volume, but one caught his ear. //That sounds like Killing Joke's "Requiem." Now there's a song you don't ever hear in public. It's being played on a keyboard, I think. I might as well go see. I'm not getting anything done here.//

He wandered past musicians of all kinds as he walked through the keyboard department following the tune until... //My God, is that Mulder playing?//

xx

Fox lost himself in the music, feeling the sound and vibration fill in the empty spaces. With his eyes closed his fingers moved unerringly through the right succession of keys on the keyboard, just a boy and his borrowed Korg. He didn't get to do this often enough.

Three weeks of oblivion and strange, dark feelings as Mulder kept Fox and the others submerged while he absorbed a serial killer's mind and hunted him down. When Fox demanded a weekend of freedom, Mulder surrendered. Fox thought that maybe Mulder needed a break from being at the wheel, time to rest and recuperate and expunge the remnants of serial killer from his psyche.

Fox had an excellent sense of his personal space, so he immediately knew when someone stopped in front of him and someone stopped beside him. The person beside him kept creeping closer, triggering Fox's he-deserves-a-knee response, so Fox opened his eyes and slid them over to him first.

A bit avant-garde, tall, lean, handsome, and totally arrogant musician, probably a guitarist. While there was nothing wrong with any of that, something about the man's body language, the way he leaned in on Fox, spoke of a predator. <Oh, give me strength. I don't need this shit today.>

//Fox, be careful.//

<Chill, Mulder. I handle this sort of thing all the time and take better care of this body than you do. You deserve a break, so take it and leave me alone. This is my weekend. You promised. You promised...>

//All right, Fox.//

"I see you here once in a while. You're very good," the musician said. "How old are you?"

Everyone asked that. Mulder often got taken for as much as ten years or even younger than he was. Somehow, something about Fox made that body seem even younger. Fox couldn't say whether his attitude or different manner of movement made the change.

"14, 37, 5, 25. What does it matter?" Fox answered, still playing.

"Are you in a band?"

Stab of old but still sharp pain. //Fox...// [Stay out of this, Mulder!] "No, I'm not."

"You should be."

[Yeah, I should be, but it'll never ever happen. Not when I'm like this]

"Do you want to be?"

[And the snake said to Eve, isn't that the most beautiful apple you've ever seen?] "Not really. I have too many other things to do."

"You're lying." He moved in even closer, breathing on Fox's neck.

{He really needs a knee.} "I'm not interested. In anything you're offering. Leave me alone." Fox could tell Gabe, the store manager, about this creep and have the bastard ejected into the street, but Fox hated involving other people.

"Make me."

"Hey, he's not interested," a new voice said. "You should leave."

{I know that guy. Who is he?}

//That's Agent Pendrell! Fox, do you have any idea how—//

{I'll handle it! I have as much reason to want our secret to stay secret as you do! Damn, this day is going to hell.}

"Is this your boyfriend, dear?"

"Never seen him before in my life. He just has a better idea of what's going on than you do." {Don't push me...}

The creep moved in even closer. Fox spun and thrust his knee up into the man's groin. When he crumpled forward, Fox drove his elbows into the would-be predator's back, forcing the knee in further. The man crumpled to the floor, gasping and making tiny, high-pitched noises of agony.

"In case you haven't figured it out yet, 'no' means 'no,' you stupid son of a bitch. You're not listening. That figures." One of Gabe's salesmen came by and stared. "Could you clean this trash off the floor? Someone might trip over him." Fox turned to Pendrell. "Hi. Thanks for trying to help." {He has the nicest blue eyes. Nicer than Scully's. Why didn't you tell me about this, Mulder?}

//What?//

"It looks like you didn't need it."

"Is there anything I can do for you?"

"I'm sorry. You just look like someone I know. But you're not him."

[See, Mulder? A different attitude, posture, and accent do make a difference.]

//We'll see how much it makes when he sees me again.//

Fox held out his hand. "I'm—" {Oh, damn, I can't say "Fox," not and keep up the charade.} "—Michael." Fox smiled. "Like the archangel. Not 'Mike'. Michael... Ganz."

//Ganz? Our music appreciation teacher? What are you doing, Fox? Say thank you and leave.//

Pendrell took Fox's hand and shook it. "I'm Daniel Pendrell, but you can call me 'Danny' if you like."

"I really do appreciate you stepping in. Let me buy you dinner."

"Oh, I can't—"

"Please. No one does anything nice for anyone else anymore. I want to encourage any random acts of niceness I see."

//What the hell are you doing? Please don't seduce him, Fox; I have to work with him occasionally.//

{Oh, shut up.}

"I came here for a reason. I still have to get something, and I can't find it."

"Maybe I can help." When Pendrell showed him the notepaper he had the strings' name written on, Fox said, "Oh, sure, I know where those are. This'll be easy."

xx

As Danny sat across the table from Michael he wondered how someone who looked so much like Mulder could be so different. Mulder surely never wore all black clothing like it made a political and style statement at once. The fading sunlight streaming through the window sometimes reflected off the silver ankh Michael wore around his neck. He glowed with life and seemed to be in constant motion; even at rest his long fingers traced patterns on the table. He was almost ludicrously sensual. The slight New England accent occasionally grated on Danny's nerves, but the invariably warm tone of the words made up for the nasal "a"s when they came.

Perhaps the biggest difference rested in the attitude. Danny knew that Mulder found his obvious crush on Dana Scully to be a constant source of amusement. The contempt the older man felt for him hurt. Michael seemed to enjoy his company and listened intently to every word he said.

Michael's bright green eyes took in everything with such pleasure and intensity that Danny got the impression that the other— younger?—man would probably be able to remember what color every object in the diner had been after they left.

Michael had coaxed him into talking about work. Danny avoided details of any actual cases but mentioned some of the procedures he did and materials he used. Michael followed it all incredibly well.

//What, he's attractive, so he has to be an airhead? Oh, God, I think he's attractive?//

Eventually Michael got him talking about Scully. "So what's stopping you from saying how you feel?" Michael asked.

"My tongue grows to five times its normal size, and I trip over it. I bet you're never at a loss for words in that situation."

"You're right but there's a terrible reason why. When you talk about her, you glow, Danny. I've never felt that way about anyone. It's easier to talk when it doesn't matter what effect your words will create."

Michael looked so sad that Danny put his hand over Michael's, stilling it, and squeezed gently. //Why did I do that?// But then Michael smiled the same way he did when he said he'd been named after the archangel, and Danny stopped breathing. //That's why.//

The waitress arrived with Michael's hot fudge sundae, stopping Danny from saying the idiotic thing that almost left his lips. When she set it down in front of Michael, his eyes gleamed in anticipation, but he said, "I'll never be able to finish this alone. Want some?"

//This is seeming more like a first date by the moment.// "I shouldn't."

"Why not? When you're 95 years old, toothless, cranky, and wearing a diaper, you'll wish you enjoyed yourself more when you were younger. Besides, chocolate has mood-altering chemicals to make you feel better. It's a scientific fact."

"Who am I to argue with science? Give me a spoon."

As Michael handed him a spoon, he said, "The true appreciation of a hot fudge sundae is an art. You have to carefully modulate how much of the hot you get with the cold, how much creamy smooth vanilla ice cream you take with the biting kick of the fudge. The whipped topping is just a distraction."

Danny asked, "Who gets the cherry?" even as he cringed at how suggestive it sounded. The gleaming bright red fruit in question sat atop the sundae's peak.

Michael's vibrant dragon green eyes gleamed with mischief. "We save it for last and spoon duel for it."

To Danny's surprise, Michael stayed with his art and restrained himself from devouring the fudge first. It seemed out of character from Danny's conception of him. Michael also left plenty of fudge for his sundae companion, who found himself appreciating it more when he kept a careful balance of elements instead of just gobbling down whatever sat closest to his spoon.

Finally only the maraschino cherry remained, glowing bright neon from the bottom of the dish. It made Danny feel weak in the knees to watch Michael suck the last of his ice cream from his spoon, leaving it a gleaming silver. He twirled it twice to reposition it in his fingers then readied it at the edge of the dish.

"I'm ready when you are," Danny said.

Michael grinned. "Go!"

Their spoons hit each other and the dish with a loud clicking noise and pushed the cherry around. It reminded Danny of hockey, just on a much smaller scale, as they chased their quarry and blocked one another with the clashing of their silverware.

"I heard something about maraschino cherries once," Michael said, although his gaze never wavered and his spoon never slowed. "Third-hand, so I don't know how accurate it is, but it's something to think about. This one guy buried a maraschino cherry in his backyard and put a marker on it so he'd know where he put it. For an experiment he let it sit down there for two years then dug it up." His grin became more predatory. "When he opened up the grave the cherry looked exactly the same as it did when he buried it!"

Danny snorted but said, "You are not distracting me."

Finally Michael's spoon pinned his against the side of the dish, and nothing Danny did could get it free. He rattled it helplessly and put all the power of his arm behind it but remained trapped. Just when he stopped struggling, Michael's spoon flew backwards to scoop up the cherry.

"To the victor goes the spoils." He picked it up by the stem and let it dangle over his mouth. His pink tongue darted out to lick a last bit of fudge off it, making Danny squirm, then he devoured it in delicate yet savage bites like a cat.

//Completely unsocialized. Has to be. People just don't do that... Either that or it's an attempt at seduction. No, I don't think so.//

"Y'know, I always wanted to be able to tie a cherry stem into a bow with my tongue like that chick on Twin Peaks, but I still can't do it." He didn't sound sultry, just intrigued and a little disappointed.

//Thank God. I don't know if I could take it.//

xx

As they walked to Danny's apartment, or Danny walked and Michael bounced, they sang Killing Joke's "Age of Greed" softly.

Danny sang, "Power over people—"

"Yes, yes!" Michael sang and pogoed.

"Power over people—"

"Be the privileged few," they sang together, "to have to own to hold..."

When Danny unlocked the door and turned on the light, he nervously awaited Michael's verdict. What would someone who had Michael's barely controlled chaos think of this overly neat room? //Why does it matter?//

Michael looked around and said, "It makes sense for a lab tech to be neat. With all the toxic and dangerous things you deal with, it's only smart to know where everything is. There's just enough clutter here to save it from being frightening. Hey, who's this?" Danny's giant orange tabby wound around his legs. Like a cat himself, Michael gracefully flowed to the floor to be face to face with the cat.

//I never thought about how bad this sounds...// "Mr. Whiskers," Danny said as quietly as possible, ready to die. "It was the family cat. I swear I had nothing to do with the name. I was about 12 at the time."

Greatly trusting, Michael let Mr. Whiskers sniff his face. "It's not so bad. I mean, he has whiskers, and he's a mister, right?"

Danny felt his head start to pound. "Actually, he's a she."

But Michael laughed with delight. "I love it. Always leave 'em guessing, eh, love? And it almost rhymes. Do you know that some scientists believe that cats only meow at human beings? Among themselves they use mostly body language and other sounds. Maybe 'meow' means 'hey, you!' in Cat."

Danny tried not to watch Michael sinuously sliding around on the carpet to play with the cat, tried not to notice the way those long fingers scratched and stroked Mr. Whiskers into a purring fit. "But that sounds so rude," Danny said faintly.

"That's where the body language comes in. The cat meows 'Hey, you!' then says with its body, 'Can't you see that I'm starving? Don't I give you all the affection you could ever want? Feed me and I'll be forever grateful,' or 'Watch the way I move, all sleek grace. Wouldn't I feel good under your fingertips? Please touch me.'''

"I—have to go to the kitchen. Right now. Do you want some coffee?"

"If you have tea, that would be nice."

"Right." //I'm not fleeing the room.//

xx

Fox picked up the cat and sat down. <Hey, Mulder, come out and meet Mr. Whiskers.>

When Mulder took over the petting, Mr. Whiskers briefly stopped purring then started again. //She knows the difference. You are trying to seduce him.//

<Am not! And why do you have to be such an asshole to him? He's sweet and kind and gentle. I like the way he blushes and the way his eyes turn slightly green and dilate to something darker when he looks at me.>

//He's a —//

<What, a nerd? You do remember how you dressed while we were in high school, right? How about the fact that we were all arms, legs, and nose until our late teens?>

//Fox, are you going soft on him?//

//Fox, this is dangerous.//

<And your thing with Krycek wasn't?>

//I was stupid.//

Oh, mistake. <No, Mulder, you weren't. You like him, he's attractive, it's not unusual—>

//I let him lead me around by my—//

<You were happy for a while. Why spoil it?>

[Because it was a stupid thing for Mulder to do, just like what you're doing now is stupid,] William said. [You're even naming yourself now? Who the hell do you think you are? Do you think a new name will make you a different person?]

[Isn't that who we are in a nutshell? Stay out of this, William. Are we supposed to be bitter and cold like you?]

[You'd be a damned sight safer.]

<We'd be dead inside!>

//He's right, Fox.//

<Damned straight. You're happy now, but it's all based on lies. How do you think he'd look at you if he knew the truth?>

xx

Danny stood in the kitchen and tried to regain his courage and common sense. //I'm not attracted to men. Why do I want to touch him so badly? I don't understand it all.// He couldn't even say that Michael had any feminine traits. Being so intensely sensuous didn't make him any less masculine.

Watching Michael made him more aware of his own body too, made him want to rediscover the world with all his senses. He wanted to touch— The feeling unsettled him.

Danny fled those thoughts but headed straight into other unpleasant ones. Michael reminded him of his high school days when he hung with the freaks to save himself from being labeled a geek. Better to be misunderstood and maybe feared a little than despised. Danny never did anything extreme to his hair or pierced anything, but he listened to obscure bands and dressed in funereal black while still keeping his grades up and involving himself in the occasional resume-building extracurricular activity. Stealth honors student. He avoided the depressed and unstable freaks in favor of the happier ones like Michael and had some wild times.

In his last semester of senior year he cleaned up and chased the college of his choice at full throttle. His parents embraced him like the prodigal son, while his friends seemed to be mortally wounded. The things he'd played at had been their life's philosophy, and they couldn't help seeing his defection and refusal to commit as a betrayal of all they were.

For years Danny had felt some satisfaction in the thought that no one he worked with really knew him, that underneath the bland, nerd exterior lay something that would shock people. But now he realized that he had settled into full-on geekdom years ago without really being aware of it, a gradual sloughing off of all his rough spots and wildness until he had become what he appeared to be. It made Daniel sad to see that, but Michael, who had stayed true to the darker, harder path, showed him by example the perils of not buckling down to become another cog in the machine.

Michael had been reticent about discussing his home life and refused to reveal his address. He didn't sound at all eager to return home later. At first Danny had thought that he might be homeless or passing from friend to friend, but Michael looked too well cared for. That led to his next thought, that Michael might be a hustler, using sex to pay his way. It would explain so much. He couldn't see Michael living with two older brothers as he claimed.

But Danny didn't want to think that. It sounded so tawdry. Even with all his flirting, Michael seemed too innocent for sex for money. //It would explain why he's here with me though... No, I don't want to think about it.// In any case, he'd never heard of a hustler who bought his john dinner and then expected to be paid for sex.

//You can't hide out in the kitchen all night. Get out there.//

Danny put all the tea things on a tray and walked out to find a more subdued Michael holding and stroking Mr. Whiskers. Depressed, he resembled Mulder more. //What happened?//

"Michael, you don't have to stay."

Michael rose from whatever inner depths he'd plunged and said, "I want to."

Danny sat near him and put the tray on the nearby coffee table. "What would you be doing now if you weren't here?"

"I don't know. I couldn't stay in the apartment; I just leave my stuff there. I've read all the books, and I don't want to watch TV again. I would probably go out and find either a club or a place where I could play pool. One of my brothers taught me how to play when I was a kid."

"That sounds nice." Danny had such a homey picture in his mind. Two brothers in the den, bent over a pool table... //Not like that! I guess I have more of a perverted side than I realized.//

He refined the image until it fit a more family-oriented template. A younger Michael, pool cue in his hands, leaning over the table as an older Michael—since Danny had no idea what the brother looked like—stood behind him, guiding the shot, adjusting his grip, whispering pointers. //Better.//

"I didn't want to listen at first," Michael said as he stroked the cat. He sounded distant. "I was scared and distracted. Being locked in the basement did that to me."

//Oh, God, this really doesn't sound like what I thought it was.// But Danny said nothing to interrupt him.

"Dad hated all of us, and sometimes he would lock us in down there. My brother... Marty always kept watch over us, let us sleep through it, suffered through it alone to keep us safe. I couldn't handle the basement because I don't seem to perceive time as something that passes. It's all just one eternal present for me. Sometimes we would be down there for hours, and I wouldn't be able to sleep anymore because I was impatient and worried for... for Marty.

"He knew I couldn't take it without something to keep my mind occupied so he found the family's old, worn-out pool table, one cracked pool cue, and six balls so he could teach me. He was so patient with me. It made things easier.

//Oh, Michael...//

"He can be such an asshole sometimes and so overprotective, but I do love him dearly." Then Michael looked up and caught the look on Danny's face. "Oh, shit, I shouldn't have told you that, should I? Why the hell did I say all that? I never talk this much." Michael stood up abruptly, and Mr. Whiskers jumped free with an aggrieved whine. "I have to go. I don't want to bring you down."

Danny grabbed him by the arm. "You don't have to go."

Michael looked away. "If I stay I'll say something stupid I'll regret."

"You can't say anything stupid to me." Danny pulled him in close and, greatly daring, hugged him, remembering that touch seemed to calm him. With their height difference, Michael seemed to fold around Danny like a warm blanket or a protective shield. Daniel pulled him back down on the couch. //We're cuddling, aren't we?// He stroked Michael's hair and felt him sigh with something that sounded like contentment. When Danny kissed the soft brown hair, he could swear it smelled like apples.

Michael looked at him with such warmth and need and trust that it felt like basking in sunlight. Daniel didn't understand it but wanted to accept it, grab it and never let go. No one had ever looked at him like that or made him feel like this before.

"Why are you here?" //That was coherent.//

But Michael seemed to understand and said, "Because I like you," against his neck.

"I'm so plain, so boring."

"I bet you have one hell of an interior life. It's always the quiet ones you have to watch."

Danny snorted. "Not really."

"Daniel, you have about five shades of color in your hair. Ginger, copper, auburn, honey, and wheat. You have the bluest eyes I've ever been this close to, though they turn a little green when you're looking at something you like, and that's nice too. I wish I had pale skin like yours. And I love watching you blush like that."

"This whole blushing thing is why you wouldn't want to have skin like mine."

Michael kissed his cheek. "Your skin gets warmer when you do that."

"Michael—"

"I want you so badly, Danny."

Michael's eyes looked like dark whirlpools of need, and it felt so good to be wanted like that. Danny stroked a high cheekbone, and the sound Michael made went straight to his groin. Daniel moaned at the feel of hot, nibbling kisses traveling down his neck.

It baffled him that this graceful, elegant, epicene creature wanted anything to do with him. He waited for the other man to pull back and say that he had been joking, to say what a fool Daniel had been for believing for a second that anyone could want him like this. He kept on waiting. In the meantime, Michael's hands fluttered along his ribcage, stroking through the cotton.

"Michael," Danny gasped.

"Anything you want, anything I can do, is yours. I want to make you happy."

"I am happy." //Now.//

"Then I want to make you happier."

Hands that played a keyboard and handled a spoon so deftly proved just as adept at scorching Danny's nerves. When they moved over his groin he almost jumped forward. As Michael slid down Danny's chest, he used his hot breath to taunt the nipples through the T-shirt. Daniel felt his mind dissolve.

Then Michael's head snapped back and away like something out of The Exorcist. His whole body stiffened, and he looked up with eyes gone black and a foreign expression on his face. "Are you sure you want this, boy?" he asked in a deeper voice as cold as liquid nitrogen.

"Oh shit!" //What the hell was that? Michael, are you okay?// Daniel leapt back and watched Michael shake his head violently.

"Damn you!" Michael muttered to himself as he twitched. "You said you'd abide by the promise. You promised, you son of a bitch! Down!" Then he looked at Daniel. "Oh shit. You saw that. You saw him. Oh, God."

Daniel felt torn between the desire to hold him close and back as far away as possible. Michael took advantage of his hesitation to run for the door. The wrong door, it turned out. Not long after the bathroom door closed with a slam Danny heard a series of frightening thumps.

He raced over and ripped the door open to see Michael kneeling on the floor, striking his head against the wall. "Stop that now!" Danny grabbed him by the arms and sat him down in the corner, then crouched down next to him. "Talk to me!" //Oh, God, he's hyperventilating.//

"I'msorryI'msorryI'msorryI'm so sorry—"

"Michael, I won't hurt you. What was that?"

Green eyes shimmered with tears he refused to shed. "I might as well. William made sure that I wouldn't have a choice."

"William?"

"On the couch. He's one of us. I'm— I'm a multiple, Danny. I don't live with my brothers as other people would see it. They're all inside our head. I'm not even... not even the primary personality. The primary is taking the weekend off. He's the one who taught me how to shoot pool. William, a different one, doesn't approve of me getting together with you, so he sabotaged it."

"Why?"

"Because... because I actually care about you."

Daniel needed a moment to digest. "So that's why you wouldn't tell me your address."

"Yes."

"Or phone number."

"Yes."

"And that's why you're not in a band even though you're such an incredible musician."

"Do you really think I am?"

"Yes. Is... William coming back?"

"No, I sent him so far down he's won't be able to claw his way up again for a while."

"Then it doesn't matter." Danny sat down beside him and put an arm around his shoulder.

Michael's eyes shone in an entirely different way. "It doesn't—"

"It doesn't matter."

Michael sighed and leaned his head against Daniel's shoulder. "That's— Thank you, Danny. You don't know what this means to me."

//He wasn't going to tell me... Oh, get real, Danny. Like you would go around announcing it to everyone you met, especially people you were interested in. And watch them back away. Poor kid.

//So this could be Mulder. Wouldn't that be a kick... No, Michael's much too young.//

He could feel Michael's heart pound. As Michael's hair brushed his lips, Danny sternly told his groin to settle down. It wasn't like he'd never dealt with sexual frustration before. Then a thought struck him that he wished never came up. //Oh, God, that's too awful.//

"You can stay if you want. You don't have to do anything. I could just hold you if you want." //And my cock can learn a lesson in self-control. Not that I blame it for being upset since this is the most action it's gotten in a year.//

Michael looked a bit confused. "That's so good of you, Danny, but I do like sex. A lot."

//That would be consistent with one of the two routes my college psych class said sexual abuse victims take. I hope I'm wrong.// "If we did something right now would it be because you really wanted me or you just wanted to get over your scare? We can be affectionate without sex."

"Really? I do want you, but right now—"

"Right."

"You really like me?"

"Yes. And I have to tell you that I've never really been interested in men before."

"Never?"

"Bisexuality was big in my crowd, but I never got past the kissing and petting stage. Just curiosity. Though I think something happened one night when I was tripping. I can't be sure; I just remember being the ocean and having stars falling and dancing into me."

Michael laughed and whispered against his neck, "It's not usually like that. At least, not when I do it." Then he sighed. I'm so tired..."

//I don't blame you. It looks like you had to put up some fight.// "You don't have to go home. You can sleep in my bed. I'll take the couch."

"Oh, no, I couldn't do that. Stay with me, Danny?" Michael turned such a look of entreaty at him that Danny grinned a little, with Michael following as he realized that he'd won.

"Okay." //Down, boy! This isn't a promise that something's going to happen. Nor should it be.//

They pulled one another off the bathroom floor, and Danny led him to the bedroom. //He's so much taller than me but I feel like I'm the bigger one.// Then Daniel turned the light on and winced. //Oh, Danny, you really aren't ready for guests. Yes, that's me, the grown man with the stuffed animal on his bed.//

Michael smiled at the neatly-made bed and its shabby-looking resident. "Does this one have a name too?"

Mortified, hand over his eyes, Danny muttered, "Mr. Tuggles."

Michael took a flying leap and bounced to a halt on the bed before scooping Mr. Tuggles up and resting the old stuffed dog against his cheek. Once Danny peeked through his fingers, he could see that Michael looked both cute and disturbingly sexy with the once plush animal hugged against him.

"But you swear you didn't name the cat."

"No."

"Formal family, you had. No wonder no one at work knows your first name." He stroked its matted skin then placed it on a nearby table with its single eye to the wall. "Much as I love him, I just can't have him watching me sleep."

//No one at work knows my— How does he know that? Wait a minute, he's not going to say anything sarcastic?// "Love him?"

"I'm sorry, but he's the only touch of character in this whole room. I don't have any childhood toys I got to keep." Michael suddenly smiled. "He's obviously been loved."

//Maybe I should use this as a test from now on. "Sure I want you, but will you pass the Mr. Tuggles test?" Like I'm beating them off with a stick. Oh, bad choice of phrasing...// Daniel felt the tight knot in his chest uncoil. "But he could hear you." //Oh, that's smart, give a mentally disturbed kid a whole new thing to get paranoid about.//

"He only has one ear."

"He only has one eye."

"Do you like having that button eye follow your every move?"

"But it doesn't— You have a phobia about stuffed animals watching you but don't mind them listening? Oh, never mind. Whatever makes you happy."

"Thanks." Michael grinned. "And you do."

"Do what?"

"Make me happy."

//Oh, wow...// "Thanks," Danny said through the lump in his throat.

He toed off his sneakers but had to stop Michael from removing his Docs when his guest almost hit the floor headfirst in the effort. "You're too tired. Let me do that." Michael raised an eyebrow but surrendered his feet.

As Danny unwound the laces from around the top of the first boot and started to loosen them from the eyelets, he used the repetitive task to cool himself down a little. He removed the boots with the concentration and attitude he would use for a puzzle and made himself forget the legs encased in them. He peeled the Docs back and gently pulled them off one at a time.

As the second one came off, Michael shrieked. Danny asked, worried, "What was that?"

Michael looked sheepish. "I'm ticklish."

Danny grinned. He shouldn't. He really shouldn't. //After what he's just been through you're going to torture him? But it would make him laugh...// He couldn't resist. He commenced tickling.

"You son of a bitch!" Michael gasped, giggling. He grabbed Danny by the shoulder and hauled him up onto the bed, then started to tickle back.

"Stop!"

"You started it!"

//Notes to self: [1] stop forgetting how strong he is and [2] don't start tickling when you're ticklish because it'll give them ideas...//

They rolled on the bed until Michael shrieked. "What?" Danny asked.

"My keys are in my back pocket, you nut! I'm going to have a bruise the size of a golf ball on my ass thanks to you." Michael took the keyring out and put it on the night table.

"Okay, I'm stopping. I'm a danger to myself and others."

"Thank you."

They lay back gasping, and Michael weakly shrugged his jacket off.

"You'll be okay?" Danny asked.

"Sure. I just need a little rest. I'm like a Weeble."

Danny got a sudden image of Michael being knocked around but refusing to fall. It made him feel sad and proud of Michael at the same time. He pulled the covers back and then up around them. "Sweet dreams, Michael." He turned out the light.

Michael burrowed into his side and fell asleep.

xx

Part II— Contact

"I've been so alone for long
Forgotten by the world, forgotten to myself
Your effervescent eyes have awakened me
And brushed the dust away..."
—"Waking Up Beside You" by Stabbing Westward

The nuzzling at his neck and weight draped on him at first made Daniel think that Mr. Whiskers was getting affectionate with him. "Not now, Wik," he muttered, half-asleep.

"When, then? And what did you call me?"

Definitely not the cat, although the green eyes that regarded Danny quizzically at close range had some feline qualities. "Michael, what are you doing?" //Brilliant question #103. He's sort of straddling you, Danny. Oh, God, he is, isn't he?//

"I couldn't sleep anymore. I don't need much really." He slid further up Danny's body, making his captive moan. "I'm trying to figure you out."

"Oh?" Daniel choked out.

"I can tell that you want me, but you keep holding back. That's pretty rare, y'know. You're shy?" he asked as he nibbled at the ear closest to him.

"Uh, yeah." //But getting less so all the time...// "I don't want to take advantage of you."

"Silly," Michael breathed into his ear. "I want to be taken advantage of." His hands roamed until they reached Danny's fly and started to undo it.

//I give up. Be gentle with me. Or don't be; that might be even better...//

Talented fingers brushed lightly over Daniel's groin as they pulled down his jeans and finally his boxers, making him whimper, "Oh, God." He shuddered as a hot tongue flicked at the weeping head of his cock, toying with it. "Please," he gasped.

Michael took him all the way in and started to suck him, humming the whole time. Daniel exploded almost immediately, desperately trying to control himself but unable to, not after being in a state of at least semi-arousal all night. The intense feeling of release was almost painful in its pleasure.

Michael controlled Daniel's thrusts and swallowed it all with no sign of strain or discomfort. Michael gave one last caressing lick to the now limp flesh then climbed back up and returned to his former diversion of lewdly tonguing Daniel's ear.

Daniel gasped, "That was... incredible, but I don't know what you got out of it." To his shock he could feel himself already getting hard again. //Does he give off pheromones or something?//

"I like to see people enjoy themselves. Besides, you needed it so badly that you wouldn't last long if I didn't take the edge off. Now I can play with you. Sit up."

//That sounded a bit ominous. So why does it only make me feel more excited?// "Yes, sir." He complied and felt Michael doing the same.

"Take my shirt off. Don't be afraid to touch me; that's what I want."

Feeling self-conscious and clumsy, Danny had to keep slowing down so he wouldn't rip the shirt off out of nervousness. The feel of the lean muscle under his hands only added to his anxiety. He knew he had a bit of a belly; his job mostly consisted of sitting on his ass all the time. //He's beautiful. Why the hell would he want to keep touching me?//

Suddenly Michael swooped in for a nipping kiss. "You're not going to your death here, Danny. This is supposed to be enjoyable. Let me show you." He took off his T-shirt in one clean pull over his head then set to work on Danny's.

Genetics had given Michael the ideal keyboardist's hands with long, deft, flexible fingers. The tips had been slightly flattened from years of banging the keys. They trailed over Danny's shivering flesh as they slowly removed his shirt, sometimes stroking, sometimes pressing.

When Michael got it off him and pulled him close, the warmth and feel of bare skin to bare skin made Danny's breathing quicken. Sometimes the rough denim of Michael's jeans brushed his stomach or cock, making him moan. He let his hands slide down Michael's spine to the small of his back and finally under the waistband of the loosened jeans and boxers to the curve of the firm ass hiding under them.

Michael arched into him and groaned, "That's more like it. Are you starting to enjoy yourself yet?"

"I'm getting there. I want to get your pants off."

"Do it then."

Daniel pushed Michael back onto the bed and, remembering Michael's earlier example, stroked and teased as he removed the jeans and underwear, freeing an insistent erection. The sight caused another jolt of anxiety, but the body writhing under his hands and the desperate sounds of enjoyment that body made kept distracting him.

"What do I do now?"

Michael sat up, took the fingers of Danny's left hand into his mouth one by one, and licked, sucked, and nibbled at them until Danny thought he would come again from that alone. "Do you trust me?" Michael asked in a sultry whisper.

//I do when you're you and not the frightening creature I saw on my couch... Oh, hell, this is not the time to change my mind.// "Yes."

"Then let me guide you." Michael took Danny's hand by the wrist and brought it to his ass, letting it slide down the crack before it stopped at a hotter spot. Then, after taking some time to move the fingers into a more agreeable position, Michael thrust them up through the ring of muscle and grunted in what might have been pain. But when he moved them around a little more he started to moan in what, from the look on his face, could only be extreme pleasure.

//Oh, God, am I doing what I think I'm doing? He's so tight I think my fingers will break...//

As Michael established a fucking motion with Danny's hand, he rubbed his erection and the rest of his body against Danny's in time. They gasped against one another. "Oh, yes, yeeeessss," Michael hissed. "I needed this. Don't worry...Danny, I haven't...forgotten you. As if I could."

As Michael's cries reached a fever pitch, he abruptly removed the hand from its hot, snug home and pushed Danny back onto the bed. Then he impaled himself on Daniel's painfully erect cock and started to slide up and down on it.

The muscle contractions that Daniel had feared would crush his fingers now squeezed and milked his cock. He vaguely knew that he bucked wildly from the sensations. Once he felt Daniel start to thrust, Michael stopped sliding and started to rock. While doing that he grabbed the base of Danny's cock, gripping and then releasing to control the progress of the oncoming orgasm.

All thought fled as lightning coursed through Danny's body, all centered in his cock. The moment fractured into sharp-edged sense impressions. The impending explosion that Michael delayed and delayed and delayed... The heat that engulfed him. The glint of the streetlight off the ankh that swayed back and forth, seemingly in slow motion, against Michael's heaving chest. The incoherent sounds they both made. The certainty that he would die if Michael didn't let him come now. He grabbed Michael's cock in what might have been self-defense.

Finally Michael took pity and let him go. He screamed and thrust savagely. Michael's internal muscles contracted a final time, and he came. Breathing hard, he collapsed and snuggled in close, lapping at Danny's hand. They passed out.

xx

Danny woke up alone and would have been convinced that he had dreamed everything if he hadn't heard someone singing and banging around in the kitchen and hadn't found himself in the middle of a normally neat bed that looked like it had been torn apart. And if he hadn't woken up feeling sticky but also so satisfied and happy that it felt like his whole body was grinning.

//Oh my God, it really happened, and it was so...so...// Words failed him completely.

He sat up and saw that Michael had already left his mark in a way. Daniel's clothing from yesterday lay strewn across the floor, and Mr. Tuggles still faced the wall. //Too bad, Tug, you really missed something.

//This isn't my bedroom. This isn't my body. This isn't my life. But who's complaining?//

Daniel took a shower, got dressed, and walked out to the kitchen, half-expecting an awkward morning after. Instead he got a big grin from a freshly showered Michael wearing yesterday's clothes who sang Sisters of Mercy songs as he set the table for two. "...Seen the way that careful lingers/Undecided at the door/And all I know for sure/All I know for real/Is knowing doesn't mean so much/When placed against the feeling/The heat inside/When bodies meet/When fingers touch/All my words are secondhand and/Useless in the face of this..."

Danny recognized "Some Kind of Stranger" and approved even as he appreciated Michael's excellent approximation of Andrew Eldritch's voice. He grinned. Michael's smile could power a whole town.

"This is great," Danny said.

"I don't ever get a chance to cook. Marty never buys groceries. I used to make breakfast for Dad the mornings after— How do you like your eggs?"

Daniel sensed that this question had a greater importance than the surface suggested. Remembering that Michael's Dad had traumatized his son so badly that Michael had splintered into at least three personalities, Danny hesitated as long as he could, then said, "Sunny side-up."

Michael breathed again. "Oh, good. Dad liked them scrambled. I like them sunny side-up too."

Danny breathed out in relief with him. //He's a lunatic... Oh, shut your mouth. He's beautiful, he just gave you the most incredible night of your life, and now he's making breakfast. Do you think the lucky stiff whose life you stole will want it back? Probably, but I'm not giving this up without a fight.//

As Michael cracked the eggs against the side of the skillet, he sang, "...Come here I think you're beautiful..."

Minutes later they sat across from one another and ate their breakfast in companionable silence and enjoyment with Michael's fingers tracing patterns on Danny's hand. "So, who's Wik?" Michael finally asked as casually as he could.

It took Danny a minute to figure out what he meant. "Mr. Whiskers. The cat."

"How often does your cat climb into bed and seduce you?" Michael kept his voluptuous mouth in a stern line, but the lips kept trembling and he couldn't look Danny in the eye. "I mean, since you called me that last night when I started my seduction attempt."

Danny almost snorted egg up into his nose. "Uh, never, and she's not into kinky stuff. As far as I know."

"So you have a perfectly acceptable, innocuous nickname for your cat but instead chose to first tell me the long form that you obviously consider to be embarrassing. Why?"

"I didn't know you very well yet."

"And that meant you didn't trust me with your cat's nickname yet?" He snorted. "And you thought I was strange for not wanting Mr. Tuggles to watch us?"

"So we're both strange."

"And happy?"

"Very."

"Me too." Michael ducked his head. "I have today all to myself—"

"Do you want to do something together?"

Michael grinned, polished off the last of his egg, and came over to kiss Danny. Daniel pulled his lover down onto his lap and said, "We'll go out somewhere." As Michael squirmed atop his crotch, causing the most incredible sensations, he said, "Uh, later."

Michael giggled. "Promise?" He started to explore the inside of Danny's mouth with his tongue.

//This is where it turns out I was in a horrible car accident, and I'm dreaming all this while I'm lost in a coma. Hope I never come out of it.//

Danny's brain dissolved as the feel of Michael's mouth and body moving against him took up all of his attention. "Not here," he gasped out. "This is the kitchen."

"Mmm-hmm."

"You're supposed to cook here."

"We can cook here. I think we're doing it right now," Michael murmured into his skin.

As talented hands pulled his pants away, Danny resigned himself. //Oh, yeah, poor me. Somebody play a violin.//

Sounding like he was talking to himself, Michael mumbled, "Ketchup?"

At first it sounded like a total non sequitur. Then Danny understood. "We're not using ketchup."

Big grin. "How about butter?"

"That's disgusting."

"No, you'll like it. I swear." Michael stood up and took advantage of the opportunity to take his pants off. Danny watched avidly what he didn't get to see in the darkness last night. Michael picked up the tub of butter... and a butter knife. He started to smirk.

"That's where I draw the line! You're not using that on me." //I'm not going to let myself imagine it. I didn't used to have such a dirty mind.//

Michael applied the warm butter to Danny's cock in slow spirals, paying special attention to the head. His fingers pressed, squeezed, and occasionally pulled a little. "Do you like this? You're certainly hard enough."

"Uh."

"I'll take the gasps and grunt as a yes." Michael settled himself onto the slicked cock and started to move again.

While Danny's mind sat back in stunned, sensual overload, his hips, knowing exactly what to do, took over, thrusting him deep into Michael's velvet heat, which contracted and relaxed around him over and over. Michael kissed him hungrily and whimpered and moaned into his open mouth. Danny's thrusts rubbed his lover's body, especially Michael's hard cock, against him. With his last working brain cell Danny decided that he would have to do something special to take care of Michael's erection sometime soon, it was only fair. Remembering something Michael did last night, Danny grabbed the cock by the base and kept a tight hold.

Michael spasmed against him and let out a loud gasp. Danny came in a rush at the sound but didn't let go.

As they panted against one another, Michael asked, "Are you going to do something with that?"

"I want—" He couldn't get the words out.

"What do you want?"

Danny smirked. "I want to be respected at work. I want to get Dana Scully gagged and hog-tied at the foot of my bed. I want you, badly. I want you to... to do me."

Michael smirked back. "Excuse me? Do what to you?"

Danny ground himself against Michael, who still had Danny's cock held snug inside his ass. Michael moaned. Danny whispered into his ear, "I want you to fuck me."

"Uh. Are you sure?"

"Yes. You seem to get off on it. I want to see what I'm missing. But we're doing it on the bed."

"Whatever you say, but please let it be soon. I'm dying here."

Danny moaned a little as Michael got off of him. He led Michael back to the bedroom and its rumpled bed. Usually Daniel would have made it by now, but it had been an atypical morning all around.

Michael made Danny lie on his stomach. The sheets still smelled of last night's sex. "Don't look. I just want you to feel."

Danny felt the bed move. A hand started to caress his balls before he felt something warm and wet sliding down the crack of his ass until that warm, wet pressure hit a spot that made him gasp. //Oh, my— He's tonguing me, isn't he? It's so good...// He realized that he was shamelessly wiggling his ass to make sure that tongue didn't miss anything.

Then a slick pressure entered him. It burned and hurt at first, but as it started to move the pain turned to a knife-sharp pleasure. The pressure abruptly became wider, and he moaned in encouragement. Then wider again, and again, stretching him. He felt Michael's fingers stroking in and out on a slow glide.

"Is this all right?"

"Hell, yes. But I want you, and I want it harder," Daniel gasped.

Daniel felt Michael settle on top of him. It excited him that Michael was so strong and so much taller. Michael could probably break him in half but wouldn't. While Michael's gentleness and care seduced him, a small part of him got off on the possibility of risk, of being helpless under Michael's power.

//That's still possible. He's not alone in there...//

Then Michael entered him in a slow, gentle stroke that hit all the right spots. "Please," Danny moaned. Michael started to pick up speed and actively thrust. It wasn't like anything Daniel had ever felt before. The sensations and Michael's weight across his back scared and exhilarated him. Michael's cock seemed to feel abruptly bigger as he came, screaming Danny's name. Michael finally collapsed and rolled the both of them over onto their sides.

"You were wonderful. What did you think?" Michael asked.

Daniel snuggled against him. "That was incredible. You can do anything you want to me."

"So, what do you want to do for lunch?"

xx

Daniel Pendrell waited for Mulder and Scully to arrive. He already knew that he didn't look the same. Ten people had already asked if he had a great weekend after looking at him. Five people asked him if he got laid. The first four times he blushed and excused himself but the fifth time he said, "Yeah, twice in the bedroom, once in the kitchen, and once on the couch. We were like animals. It was incredible. You don't need to know anymore." //That time I wasn't the one who blushed and fled.//

He was nervous. Scully always made him nervous, but now he worried about seeing Mulder too, wondering if he'd be able to work with the other agent without seeing Michael in him and doing something stupid.

When Mulder and Scully arrived, Pendrell felt his mind separate into three different tracks. The LabBoy track looked at what Dana Scully had brought him, examined it thoroughly with all the tools at its disposal, and commented intelligently on what it could mean. The PoorDroolingIdiot track looked at her with stunned, mindless want as the fluorescent lights brought out sparks in her red hair //deeper red this week; last time it looked more copper; wonder why she keeps switching shades// and made her porcelain skin look even paler, almost to a deathly pallor //some residue from my Goth past that I find that attractive?//. It also desperately ran in circles trying to figure out what it could say to make her notice him as a man and not a faceless lab geek who didn't have a first name. It swore that it wouldn't trip over its tongue this time. Pendrell was accustomed to LabBoy and Idiot fighting uneasily for space.

The third, new track he didn't have a name for. It tried to unobtrusively scrutinize Mulder. //Michael does seem to be much younger. He has more energy. They don't move, stand, or react the same way. But they still look so much alike, and what literature there is on MPD suggests that the different personalities do that... Oh, wait, the eyes aren't the same. Mulder has a deep gray-green with gold, while Michael has a bright, vibrant emerald. Thank God.//

Then he thought about the tracks and wondered if they were similar to what Michael experienced. //What is it like for him? I don't even know if I'll see him again... //

Mulder's voice brought him back. "Let me see that," he said as he pushed Pendrell aside to look through the microscope.

//Asshole.// Mulder didn't smell the same as Michael either, more herbal to Michael's spicy sweetness. Not bad though... //I'm sniffing Mulder? I hope he didn't notice... This is so bad!//

"Uh, what am I looking at?"

Pendrell found it surprisingly hard to swallow a sarcastic, cutting comment about people who barge in when they don't know what the hell they're doing. Michael rubbing off on him. //Shut that thought down now! I hope this turns out to be a good change.// Pendrell put his labmouse self back on and patiently explained it.

Finally, Dana Scully said, "Thanks, Pendrell. You've been very helpful." She scrutinized him more closely. "You look... good. Did you have a good weekend?"

//Personal interest! Don't say something stupid, especially not with Mulder around to pounce. Better not to make any move at all with him standing there ready to knock you down. Stay with simple, can't go too far wrong with something simple.// "Yes, yes, I did. Thank you for asking."

She gave Mulder a dark look. "It seems to be going around." Mulder squirmed a little //see how you like it, you bastard// and followed her out.

Watching Mulder get the Scully Look cheered Pendrell, especially when paired with what sounded like a biting comment. Any uneasiness in Mulder&Scully Land would probably work to his benefit.

xx

As Mulder walked beside Scully, Fox said, [See, that wasn't so bad. He doesn't suspect.]

//He sniffed me, Fox.// Actually, Mulder also worried about Scully suspected something. He may not have been around for most of the sex, but his body felt the lingering after effects of the hormones involved, leaving him uncharacteristically buoyant. He had come into work as Fox Mulder, their more integrated self, with all the off-the-wall cheer that self sometimes threw off. Scully couldn't help noticing. When they reached the lab Mulder had been forced to come back into full control for fear of how the sometimes unpredictable Fox Mulder gestalt might react to Pendrell's presence.

[Man, you never know a compliment when you get one. Besides, it seemed to settle his mind further that we're not the same person.>

//This is really hard for me. Seeing you with him was like watching someone corrupting a leprechaun.//

Fox laughed. [So you were around for that? Did you like it? He was so good, and he has such certain, careful hands...]

//Uh.//

[That's okay. I don't mind you watching.>

//Fox...//

[Leprechaun, huh? He certainly fulfilled my wishes... Well, I intend to debauch that leprechaun totally. I'm going to show him things he didn't know existed. Oh, no...]

//Fox?//

[What if he doesn't want to see me again? It's not like I could give anyone a normal relationship. I don't even get out much! What if I was just a wild fling to him? What if he never wants to see me again? Why do I feel this way?>

//I think— I think you're in love.//

[It hurts. I don't like it.>

Thoughts of Krycek passed through Mulder's mind. //I know.// Hearing Fox's pain, he said, //Look, I'm not doing anything outside of work lately. You can have any weekend I'm not doing anything work-related to yourself. To spend with him, if you're both interested.//

[Really? That's great! I wish I could hug you! I do love you, Mulder.]

//When I'm not being an overprotective asshole?//

[You know I meant that in the best possible way.]

//Sure. You know, if you're going to spend more time with him, you better start thinking of ways to explain our scars, especially the bullet scars.//

[Thanks for reminding me.]

[This is the stupidest idea I've ever heard!] William said. [I forbid it!]

// [Shut up!] //

"Mulder?"

"Don't mind me, Scully. I'm just lost in the ozone again."

xx

Daniel sat on the couch reading, or trying to read, and idly stroking Mr. Whiskers. //I feel like everything's changed, but no one else can see it. I can't even contact him.//

The phone rang. "Hello?"

"Hey, Danny, are you doing anything this weekend?"

Danny started to smile.

Part III— Dancing Lessons

"Now let your mind do the walking
And let my body do the talking"

—"World in My Eyes" by Depeche Mode

As Daniel Pendrell opened the door to his apartment, Michael bounced and sang softly, "...They put you in a box/And then they send you up to heaven, heaven..."

A more obscure selection than most, but Danny recognized the snippet as belonging to Virgin Prunes' "Baby Turns Blue." Danny grinned even as he wished he had that much energy. "You're bouncing so much you're giving me motion sickness."

"But I'm happy. I really liked that art exhibit."

"That's no reason to do a Tigger impression."

"But Tiggers are wonderful things. Besides, I'm your Tigger."

Michael scooped up the cat and started to dance to the music he heard in his head. Mr. Whiskers seemed to enjoy it, especially since Michael scratched her chin as he twirled and bounced her in his arms.

"...Ohhhhh! What to do?/What to be and who are yoooooou..."

Danny watched him and smiled. He couldn't imagine his life without the weekends with Michael. Michael took such a joy in the world that Danny loved to take him places just so he could see everything anew through his lover's enthusiasm. It challenged Danny to come up with a new movie, theater, museum, or park every week.

Not that staying home didn't have its advantages.

It amazed him that Michael still found him attractive... or something... four months later. Hell, it amazed Danny that this man had chosen him to begin with. Surely Michael—outgoing, tall, gorgeous, and a combustible mix of angel and demon in bed— could find another partner in seconds.

"I really did enjoy that exhibit. The statues and gilded prayer books especially. But I could have done without the rent-a-cops giving me the evil eye. The same thing happened when I visited the Cloisters in New York. Like I could hide a six-foot-tall medieval statue in my pocket. Being a Goth doesn't make me a magician."

"It didn't help when you got ticked off about it and started to loudly ask me how this or that would look in your den. Brat."

Michael just smirked and thrust his hips to his internal music in a way that made Daniel want to jump him immediately. "Wanna dance?"

"I don't know how." //And I don't want to look stupid.//

"I'll tell you a big secret. I can't dance either. In fact, only seven people in this world can actually dance. When a new dancer is born, one of the older ones dies."

"Oh, come on!"

"Just one of the mysteries of life. The rest of us can only move with the music and hope for the best. Dance with me."

"I'm not sure what song is playing in your odd brain."

"I'll make it easier for you." Michael put Mr. Whiskers down and flipped through Daniel's CDs with practiced ease, muttering under his breath about how he loved people who alphabetized their collection. He picked out then put back Depeche Mode's Songs of Faith and Devotion, saying that it described their relationship, but he wasn't in the mood for that album right now.

"You're cute as all hell, but can you just choose something already?"

Michael smirked knowingly, making himself look so much more like Agent Fox Mulder that Daniel caught his breath. Michael was one personality of several sharing that body, and Danny sometimes wondered, despite all of Michael's protests to the contrary, if the personality that ran the body the rest of the week called itself Fox Mulder. Danny wrestled back and forth with the idea, but wouldn't feel too bad if it turned out that Michael had lied. If he were Mulder and had such a problem, he wouldn't want anyone knowing about it either, not when it would put a giant black mark on his record and probably exclude him from jobs that came with any real authority or responsibilities.

So when Michael merely said that the primary personality worked in law enforcement—and that only because Danny had asked about his scars—Daniel didn t press the issue.

Michael put Depeche Mode's Violator into the CD player and pulled Danny into his arms. As usual, Danny felt ludicrously small next to him. "I'm too damned short." He inhaled Michael's spicy scent and couldn't help picking the orange cat hairs off of the black shirt that filled his vision. "World in My Eyes" started to pound behind him.

"No, I'm too damned tall. Want me to pick you up?"

"If you do, I'll kill you."

"Just trying to be nice. Loosen up. You can't think when you dance; you just move to the music any way you want." Michael started to twirl Daniel, then pulled him in close. Over the next few minutes Michael would spin him and bring him back again and again, leaving Danny dizzy, laughing, and moving his feet along with the beat in self-defense.

Michael sang along with the band, and Danny, breathless, joined him as best he could. "...All the islands in the ocean/All the heavens in their motion/Let me show you the world in my eyes..."

Mr. Whiskers gave them a hard stare from her safe perch on the couch. Danny couldn't help laughing. //Probably beneath her dignity. Well, Wik, I'm not the one who drinks out of the toilet.//

Michael kept Daniel close now as they harmonized, "...That's all there is/Nothing more than you can touch now/That's all there is!..."

Lean muscle moved under Daniel's hands, and he melted into Michael's warmth. The long kiss that followed only left him feeling even more pleasantly lightheaded. Seeing no more advantage in staying upright, Daniel tripped Michael so they fell on the couch, to Mr. Whiskers' disgust. Once he had his victim pinned, Daniel ravished Michael with lips and hands. He would work his way up to the full treatment soon.

Once Michael got a chance to breathe, he grinned impishly and protested, "But you already know this dance! I know for a fact that you're really good at it."

"Show me again."

Part IV—Simple Gifts

Daniel Pendrell sprawled on his couch and tried to fight his headache down. The headache kept winning. Mr. Whiskers purred from her perch on his chest as he stroked her and she left orange cat hair all over his suit. He would chide himself later for not getting out of the suit first. For now, he just wanted to die.

Aside from the memory of general stupidity at work bothering him, he also felt sad and self-pitying. He'd made a sacrifice recently, with all the best intentions, and couldn't help feeling a little resentful. //He didn't ask you to, and he doesn't know. This is all you, Danny. Your choice.//

Two weekends ago he'd been lying in bed with Michael when he'd done something selfish. He occasionally had those moments, when he wanted something so much he stopped thinking about whether it would be right.

Michael sometimes talked in his sleep, sometimes as himself and sometimes in slightly different voices that suggested one of the other personalities had control, that Danny slept next to Marty or William instead. That freaked Danny out no end, but he dealt with it. Sometimes you could ask Michael things when he was in that state, and he would answer. Sometimes the answers even made sense.

Some things Michael refused to talk about, and Danny would not ask. //Like whether he's really Mulder or not. But I think I already know the answer to that one...// But with his birthday coming up, Danny's mind wouldn't stop tracking on certain thoughts, which became full-fledged need-to-knows. Need-to- know colored his whole life, from his relationships to his choice of career. If he could put Michael under a microscope and tease out his secrets, Danny would, gladly, and do so with all the love he felt.

It would be wrong to ask now, with Michael asleep and helpless to say no, but he couldn't help himself. "When's your birthday, Michael?"

Michael had sighed and nuzzled in closer. "You just want to know how old I am," he mumbled sleepily and smiled. Asleep and relaxed, he looked even younger.

Danny traced the bullet scar on his lover's shoulder. "No, I really want to know. I want to do something nice for it. A little party."

"I'm older than you, you know. Physically, at least. Danny—" A non sequitur, but one that made Danny's heart guiltily leap. Michael had let slip one of the things he'd wanted to know. In attitude, Michael seemed younger, but sometimes... "I don' have a birthday."

"Don't... don't have a birthday."

"Wasn' born. More... hatched."

"You don't—"

Of course Michael didn't. Michael shared one body with a few different personalities, and he wasn't the original. Not many people knew about this. Michael hadn't really been born.

Michael's sleeping face started to gain lines, look troubled. Some part of him knew he'd let something out he shouldn't have. "It's September 29th."

September 29th was Michael the Archangel's day on the calendar. Michael had tried to cover his mistake.

In that moment, Danny decided he wouldn't make an issue of his own birthday, not when Michael didn't have one. Michael wouldn't remember this conversation in the morning. Danny would let it slide.

But tonight, with his birthday tomorrow, Danny regretted it, even if he'd had good impulses behind his decision. The Pendrell family always made a big deal out of birthdays, with parties and presents. Sean would be working tomorrow, and a day as an occupational therapy assistant left his younger brother too tired to do much of anything when he got home. Besides, Danny hadn't brought Michael by to meet Sean yet. He didn't know why he hadn't—he wasn't ashamed of Michael, exactly—but he hadn't found the right time. Michael and Sean might even like each other, since they were both musicians and even enjoyed some of the same music. Mom and Dad had died in a car wreck three years ago, a still-fresh wound.

So the only one who could make a fuss over Danny on his actual birthday didn't know about it, by Danny's choice. No wonder his head hurt.

The sound of the key turning in the lock made him wince, even as he felt himself brighten a bit at the thought of the person using it. Michael would make the headache go away.

Michael, loaded down with scores of shopping bags, looked surprised to see him on the couch. "You look beat," he said as he knelt down next to Danny.

"A bad day, topped off with a worse headache."

Michael took his hand and kissed it, to Danny's surprise. Michael could be thoughtfulness personified, but it still shocked him when the older man—and it was still so odd thinking of Michael that way—made a gesture that was so caring and so perfect.

"I'm sorry. Damn, your hand is cold." Michael gently slipped Danny's hand beneath his coat to warm it with his body heat. He then leaned back to rest against the couch and his lover. It struck Danny as one of the most oddly erotic things he'd ever experienced. As the fingers of his right hand slowly uncurled while wrapped in his lover's warmth, the other hand started to stroke cool, still-damp hair. Michael always came to him freshly showered, perhaps to wash off the scent and feel of the primary personality who used the body the rest of the day.

With Wik purring on his chest and Michael doing his own version of purring beneath his hands, Danny relaxed under the love of the two felines who owned him. Michael rubbed his cheek against Danny's side, furthering the cat analogy and making the younger man smile. They sat like that for a while, just lost in sensation and the feel of one another.

Finally, Michael opened his eyes and grinned. "This is so nice, but I had plans for tonight."

Danny felt a pleasant shiver in his stomach. "What kind of plans?"

"Just staying in and doing something special." With obvious regret, Michael stood up and picked up his bags. "Have you taken anything?" He meant for the headache.

"A half hour ago. It hasn't done anything yet."

"I hope this makes you feel better. Don't go anywhere. I have to put everything together." He dropped two of the bags off at the kitchen before taking the other two into the bathroom with him. The sound of running water followed, piquing Danny's curiosity. Michael had just taken a shower, so the water had to be for him.

Danny put Mr. Whiskers on the floor and carefully got up, the bags in the kitchen calling him. He just had his hands on a plastic handle when he got swept back by strong arms into a tight embrace. "It's supposed to be a surprise, Danny," the older man said into his hair as he rocked him.

"Can't blame me for trying." Danny leaned back and stroked the bare arms. He liked the way Michael, taller than him, could wrap around him like a favorite quilt. One of his hands strayed down Michael's leg until it found a hole in the old jeans and caressed warm skin. The older man gasped and jerked.

"Later, I swear. And I guess they're right."

"About what?"

"Cold hands, warm heart. I'm almost done setting up. Can I trust you not to get into things till then? I really want this to be a surprise. Well, surprises. I'm almost done with the first."

Far be it from Danny to screw up something important to Michael. "Okay, but don't take too long."

Grinning, Michael let him go and returned to the bathroom. Danny leaned back against the wall to wait. A nerve-wracking five minutes later, three minutes after the water had stopped running, Michael came back out.

Danny, wrapped up in the pain of his headache with his eyes closed, hadn't really seen him before. He wore his usual silver ankh on a short chain, an old and faded T-shirt, tall Docs that laced up to his knees, and faded, tight black jeans that had holes in some interesting places. He looked delicious, and Danny felt a surge of desire.

Danny didn't resist when Michael tied a blindfold over his eyes, though he felt curiosity eating him alive. The older man put a hand on his arm and carefully led him somewhere warm that smelled of lavender and musk before taking the blindfold off. The bathroom had been transformed. Candles cast warm, flickering light, and bottles of mysterious oil lined the rim of a tub filled with water that gave off the faintest scent of musk. A large bath pillow rested at one end. Luxuriously fluffy towels waited nearby.

"You like? It's all for you," Michael said as he vibrated next to Danny. He grinned when he saw the look on his lover's face.

"It's... wonderful. Decadent." Did Michael know, after all?

"I wanted to do something special." Michael started to slowly and sensually undress Danny. Danny melted into the knowing touches and grinned as his lover neatly hung the suit and shirt. //He knows me so well...//

Michael helped him into the tub and leaned him back against the pillow. The hot water brought a pleasant shock to Danny's skin as the nerves sizzled to life. Steam and the scent of musk insinuated themselves up his nostrils and into his head, clearing and soothing. His muscles started to unkink.

"Just consider me your bath slave," Michael said as he picked up a wet washcloth and ran it over his lover's skin.

"You're going to get all wet." Danny had a very naughty thought of being tended to by a stark naked Michael. That and the feel of the washcloth descending down his stomach almost brought him off.

He grabbed Michael by the arm and pulled him in. Fortunately, it was a very big tub. Water splashed everywhere. Michael sputtered and laughed. "I have my boots on, you nut! At least they're old clothes." He moaned when Danny drew him in for a deep, needy kiss.

Nothing like having six feet of wet, squirming Goth on top of you to make you forget small things like headaches.

"This wasn't what I had in mind... oh, Danny..." Their erections, one bared and one confined by sopping fabric, brushed. They slid against one another, laughing and moaning.

Danny's hands slowly fumbled wet denim and cotton out of the way. The fabrics fought him maliciously. Finally he succeeded in pulling them down far enough. He stroked Michael's already hard cock, and his own jumped in sympathy. He heard Michael begging against his lips, "Fuck me, Danny, please, now, please..."

"Turn around," Danny said.

Desperate, Michael tried to comply, with much splashing of water. It was a measure of how far into lust Danny had descended that he didn't give a damn about the mess they were making. The older man's body rubbed against his on every attempt, making him even crazier.

Finally Michael managed to turn around, and Danny had that perfect ass exactly where he wanted it. Fingers already slick with bath oil, the younger man slid them up into a hot tightness that never failed to amaze him. He found the spot he wanted and stroked. Michael panted and shivered, shamelessly begging.

Danny had gone past being able to stand the preliminaries himself. He removed his fingers with one long glide, then stroked his cock in, immediately setting a fast, demanding rhythm. Michael helped as much as he could, pushing back to take his lover in as far as possible. Their sliding around in the wet tub made it more unpredictable than usual, but neither minded. Danny reached for Michael's cock and stroked it ruthlessly. Michael shrieked as he exploded, his internal muscles clenching around and milking Danny until he too fell into a blinding orgasm.

They panted together for a while, before they went still and just rested together. Finally, Michael laughed and said, "I didn't plan that, but I definitely can't complain. You surprised me, huh?" He kissed the side of Danny's neck. "Danny?" Michael grinned at the sight of his lover passed out with a blissful expression on his face. The water had been hot, and Danny had looked so tired...

Michael brought more water than he wanted out with him as he clambered out of the tub. Pulling his jeans up so he could move presented a problem he needed five minutes to fix. As much as he would have liked to shuck off his sopping clothing, he knew he wouldn't be able to untie his boots for anything. He might have to cut the laces later. Being unable to take his boots off meant being unable to take his jeans off. Michael smiled ruefully as he started to get Danny ready for the rest of the evening.

xx

Danny awoke alone in cool water. Michael must have put the tray across the tub that stopped Danny from sliding under and drowning. Danny heard the faint sound of music from beyond the closed door. //What is he up to? He said there would be more coming...// Feeling loose and indolent but also painfully curious, he sat up and looked around.

Michael had even mopped up all the water that should have flooded the floor. //Am I domesticating him? Or is it just that he loves me that much?//

His clothing had disappeared, but something deep blue and lustrous rested folded next to the towels. He stood up and used one of the wonderfully thick towels to dry off, sighing at the way it felt against his oiled, sensitized skin. He wrapped the towel around his waist, then picked up the object of his interest.

Slick, soft silk teased his hands as the robe unfolded in front of him. The candlelight rippled across deep blue, almost indigo, fabric. Danny petted it with a lump in his throat. It was beautiful, and obviously meant for him. //Oh, Michael.//

When Danny put it on and tied the belt, he moaned at how the fabric felt as it slid back and forth across his cock. He wanted to grab Michael now and make sure the older man knew how much he appreciated all of this. More surprises ahead...

xx

Danny opened the door and yelled, "Is it safe to come out yet?"

"Sure. I'm in the dining room."

Michael had transformed the dining room into an exotic, mysterious place as well. More candles, and incense made the air a heady, intriguing thing to breathe. Michael took Danny's breath away. Dressed in black velvet and leather with silver accents, the older man had put on his best. The candlelight brought out blond and red fire in his soft chestnut hair. His smile threatened to outdo the candles.

Then Danny saw Mr. Whiskers and started to sputter. The big orange tabby had a small, blue party hat perched atop her head and a huge blue bow tied around her neck. She looked really pissed off.

When his sputtering turned to giggles, the cat turned what Danny would swear was a dirty look on Michael. Michael looked back at her, shrugged, and said, "So I lied."

Danny lost it, writhing with laughter. Every time he looked up and saw that expression of offended feline dignity, he just started to chortle harder. It hurt, but in a good way.

When he started to wind down, Michael helped him to the table to sit down. Danny noticed that Michael had polished the boots he wore, different from the ones he had on earlier, to within an inch of their lives. Danny could see himself in them. Although the reflection was a little distorted, he saw a pale man with fiery hair wearing a gorgeous ankle-length robe. And he looked deliriously happy.

Michael seated himself across from Danny and picked up a spoon. Danny finally saw the ice cream sundae that sat on the table between them. Vanilla ice cream with hot fudge topping, whipped cream, and a neon cherry. Just like the sundae they'd shared the first time they met. A spoon of his own rested near his hand.

"Happy birthday, Danny," Michael said with a beautiful smile.

"How did you know?"

"I have my ways. Now let's dig in. We still have more to come."

//More to come...// Danny picked up his spoon and dug in. Michael flirted outrageously over the ice cream, doing things to it and his spoon with his mouth and tongue that made Danny want to reach across the table for him. But waiting would only make it better. Gilded, bright green eyes smoldered into blue.

Finally, only the cherry remained. While Danny had had fun fighting for it that first time, tonight he conceded. "You have it, Michael." He wanted to watch.

Michael didn't disappoint. He picked it up by the stem and licked it clean. His teeth caressed the intensely red skin once before he devoured it in three delicate yet savage bites.

Michael stood and came around the table. He slid Danny's chair around, then kneeled in front of his lover. "Danny, I had such a hard time finding a gift for you. You want so little, at least where material things are concerned."

"Michael—"

Michael put a finger to his lips. "Hush. Let me finish, please. You've given me so much. You're the only person who ever treated me like I was a real human being instead of a toy or an unwanted appendage to my primary personality. You're so kind and so loving... You gave me life, Danny. I never loved anyone before I met you."

Danny could barely breathe past the lump in his throat. "Michael—"

"That's my gift to you, Danny. That you know how much you mean to me. And for tonight..." This next bit seemed to come harder, and Michael's eyes darkened with pain. "and tonight only, I'll answer anything you want to ask me. Anything. That's how much I love you."

Danny understood the enormity of what Michael offered. He could ask anything, demand any precious secret, and Michael would give it up. Anything... If the devil ever came up to tempt him, this would be the offer.

The older man stared at him with terror plain in his spring green eyes. Michael offered total exposure and the right to strip him of all his bright and dark secrets.

All questions died on Danny's lips. He couldn't do this. He didn't need to know who Michael's body was the rest of the time, even if it turned out to be Mulder, a total asshole, after all. Magic always suffered when you robbed it of all its mysteries. //I don't want to know, not if it will hurt him. My God, he does know me... and must love me desperately.// All that mattered was that Michael was Michael when he was with Danny.

Danny stroked Michael's hair. "I want you to keep your secrets. You, as you are... You're my gift."

Michael closed his eyes and started to breathe again. "Thank you," he said softly. He grinned shakily. "I like your outfit."

"Fairies left it for me."

Michael laughed. "But you're overdressed." He untied the belt and let the silk slither off Danny's lap.

"Michael, you don't have to... oh..." A cool tongue lapped at his cock using a technique his lover had demonstrated on a spoon only a few minutes ago. Nibbling kisses followed. With the state of low-grade arousal Danny had been in since he put the robe on, he knew he couldn't last much longer. "Michael—" he moaned.

Michael knew. He drew Danny's cock into his cool, sticky mouth and deep-throated it, milking Danny as hard as he could. Danny gripped his lover's velvet-clad shoulders as he came. Once Michael finished sucking, he slithered up Danny's chest and kissed him. The younger man's hands slid over Michael's ass, luxuriating in the leather that clung so tightly to the skin.

"Bed?" Michael asked shakily.

Danny grinned at the thought of unwrapping his present. "What do you think?"

xx

Fox idly stroked his lover's hair with one hand and the cat with the other. Both snuggled up against him. "But Danny will always be my favorite," he said softly to Mr. Whiskers, who only stared at him. "That's okay, you're not my type," her eyes seemed to say. So long as he petted and fed her, she would forgive him for the hat and bow.

He pulled Danny closer to him. "You're my gift," Danny had said.

Fox couldn't even name all the things he felt right now. Delirious happiness. Overwhelming love. Pride that he'd pulled it all off.

//Fox?//

Fox sighed. {What is it, Mulder?} At least Mulder had been absent the rest of the night. Whether it had been out of respect for Fox's privacy or a personal desire to avoid experiencing sex with someone Mulder called, at his kindest, "LabBoy" was an issue Fox didn't intend to concern himself with.

//This was an incredible thing you planned.//

{I liked it.}

//What I mean is that you planned it. Weeks in advance.//

{So?}

//Not that long ago you couldn't even think a few days in advance. You were completely "now"-oriented, like a child. Have you noticed any differences?//

[Leave the boy alone, Mulder,] William said. [We can't change.]

Partly to spite William, but also because it was the truth, Fox said, (Actually, I have noticed some changes. Things don't take forever anymore.}

Mulder's voice seemed to be torn between disbelief and throat- choking happiness. //I think you're growing up.//

[Oh, please.]

Growing up? Fox wondered... As he drifted into sleep entangled with his lover, Fox gave thanks for all the gifts he'd given and received.

xx

Part V—Fault Lines

Michael was all but vibrating with excitement. "This is going to be great." All the movement made Daniel fear for the structural integrity of the tortilla chips Michael carried.

"Sure." Daniel didn't have the heart to tell Michael how nervous he felt. Danny had never been comfortable in large groups or party situations, and that was when he at least knew a few people there. He usually spent the night alone and tongue-tied in a corner.

This looked like a huge party. Lights and ear-splitting noise spilled from the open windows and door of the run-down house. Daniel had to wonder why the neighbors hadn't called the cops yet. As they walked in the doorway, the scent of marijuana, cigarette smoke, and incense tickled the back of his throat and instantly took him back to his high school days.

A second later a huge, long-haired man grabbed him. Plunged into suffocating darkness, Daniel struggled weakly and tried to keep the bottle of salsa safe until he heard a rumbled, "Peace be with you, man." //He's hugging me. Calm down. Why the hell is he hugging me?// Then the stranger let Danny go and clutched Michael the same way. //Yeah, but Michael's tall enough that he doesn't get smothered.//

While Michael obviously struggled between relaxing into the hug and clocking the man, Danny took advantage of the opportunity to survey his surroundings. It looked like a regular house taken hostage by the counterculture, its mainstream, nuclear family lines and arrangement converted by its coverings into something very different. Colorful murals and graffiti covered walls lined by beat- up couches. Loud, recorded music fought with live drumming coming from a nearby room. Hippies, Goths, metalheads, freaks, and a few preppies mingled, against all natural order.

Daniel felt hopelessly mundane in these surroundings. //You can dress me up a little, but I'm still a fraud, and everyone here can see it.//

Once Michael had extricated himself from the friendly hippie, he grabbed Danny's arm and led him to the kitchen. Danny could have sworn that the greeter hadn't held him that long. //Would it really surprise you if the bastard copped a feel? I mean, look at Michael.//

Michael had dressed in his casual best: ankh necklace, tight T- shirt, tight jeans, combat boots buffed to a high shine. Danny could tell by the crisp, new black of the outfit that Michael saw this party as personally important, understandable since Danny rarely agreed to go to parties with him. On lesser occasions he wore faded black.

Dressed in his own black T-shirt and jeans, Danny felt like he had a target painted on his back, even among people who wouldn't see the outfit as unusual. Especially among those people.

Michael swore he knew only the person who had invited him, but he said hi to everyone and... looked at them. Danny fought down a surge of jealousy, knowing Michael was like that with everyone. He couldn't help himself. Michael flirted with the world. If only the world wouldn't always flirt back...

//Look at him, especially when he's happy, like now. The world can't help itself.//

A woman with blue hair wearing raw silk layers in a multitude of colors grabbed Michael by the shoulders and kissed him on both cheeks. "Michael, baby, you made it!"

"Wouldn't miss it, Suz. I brought my love and munchies."

Suz grinned at Danny. "So you're the one who snared Michael? Welcome to the party."

//Yeah, and I can see you're wondering how I managed it. You can just keep wondering.//

As Michael and Daniel put their offerings on the table, they heard screaming from the yard: "Free! Come back, Free!"

"Excuse me. They'll never catch the dog while they're stoned. If I find out Steve has been feeding it acid again, I'll flay him myself." She ran out, gauzy skirts flying, and screamed, "Free! Here, boy! Mommy will rescue you from the bad men!"

//All the neighbors must have moved out by now.// Danny grabbed a beer bottle and emptied it in one pull. Maybe it would relax him or help this party make more sense. //Why am I here?// He turned to face Michael and saw the older man watching him with hungry eyes.

"Do that to me later?" Michael asked in a low, husky voice.

Danny shivered. //Oh, yeah, that's why I'm here.//

Dancing a little, Michael took Danny by the arm and led him to the room the live drumming was coming from. People sat on the old couches and the floor in a circle and played a variety of small drums and bongos, just jamming. One person got up and handed a tambourine to someone else. The crowd applauded as the new person hit the tambourine against her leg with a vigor that had to leave bruises. Another very stoned hippie girl got up and started to do a sinuous dance to a song she must have been hearing in her head, because her movements had nothing to do with the drumming or the CD that played.

"Looks like fun. Is there a waiting list for a drum?" Michael asked one of the hangers-on.

"You just have to be here when someone leaves the circle and jump for it."

"Thanks."

A mural of rolling purple hills covered one wall. As Danny looked at it more closely, he realized the hills were actually arms and hands. It disturbed him. //How can people trip in this house without doing themselves permanent damage?//

With all the candles and people packing it, the room felt murderously hot. Danny knew himself well enough to know that right now he would be looking flushed and sweaty, which always made him feel ugly. By comparison, Michael glowed from the heat, gaining a light sheen that highlighted the fine features of his face. //It's just not fair.// The noise and all the people pressed on Danny, making him feel small.

The young man Michael had asked about the drumming was still talking to him, leaning in far too closely... A stunningly beautiful daughter of the night hovered on the other side, asking if Michael had ever played before. Danny started on another beer.

They sat for a while, with Michael bopping his head to the drumming and Danny nursing his beer, feeling something dark in his stomach grow until it started to climb up his throat. Realizing that no one intended to give up a drum soon, Michael asked, "Dance with me, Danny?"

Danny thought of the audience that hippie girl had drawn as she danced. "No, not now." When he saw the look of disappointment on Michael's face, Danny thought, //Why don't you ask one of your new friends? They don't look ridiculous with you like I do...//

"Is something wrong?"

//I have to get away.// "No. I just need the little boy's room."

"Are you sure?"

"For God's sake, Michael, I'm fine. I just need directions," Danny snapped. Michael actually looked a little cowed.

"Up the stairs. It's the second door on your left," the Goth chick said.

//I'm sure you can't wait to get rid of me.// "Thanks." Danny got up and picked up another two beers on the way out. As he awkwardly climbed the steep steps, Danny tried to keep control of his emotions. //This isn't your world anymore. You've gotten old and staid. But it hurts...

//God, any one of these people would be a better match for Michael than I am. He has to see it. It's only a matter of time. Doesn't mean I have to watch.//

Danny found an unoccupied dark bedroom and almost hurt himself tripping through the doorway. The incident left him dizzy. Closing the door cut down on the noise. He sat down on the floor with his back to a corner and put his head on his knees.

xx

Justine wanted to dance too, so Fox got up with her and swayed around the floor to one of the slower songs. Her elegant hands immediately slid down to his ass. He sighed and smiled a little. She was small, so he could sometimes pretend that he was dancing with Danny, although the sandalwood scent in her long blue-black hair kept breaking the illusion.

Danny still hadn't returned, and Fox was starting to get worried. Fox couldn't quite say why he felt so nervous about his lover's absence. The people here were nice, so no one would attack Danny, and the house was small enough that it was impossible to get truly lost. But he thought of the nasty way Danny had spoken before he left.

[But I asked him if he was okay, and he said he was fine. If he had problems here, he would tell me, right? I'm the one who has the problems...]

xx

As Danny drank alone in the dark, his mind kept throwing images at him. That beautiful Goth girl probably had no inhibitions about dancing. He imagined her moving close to Michael, hip to hip, before starting to kiss him. He saw Michael, a little hesitant at first maybe, gradually giving himself over to her, kissing back, deeper and deeper. Their hands would start to roam desperately over one another, stroking and fondling, tearing clothing away... Finally, Michael would be entwined with her, ravenously kissing her perfect, creamy skin, making her moan as he thrust into her.

He saw a similar possibility with Michael and the other man, culminating in Danny's lover writhing in total abandon as the handsome stranger fucked him. He saw all three of them together, thoroughly and desperately exploring one another. Every scenario possible danced its way across his fevered mind. Either or both of the interlopers made a better visual match with Michael's beauty.

Once Daniel's brain finished torturing him with pornographic images of those two, it started to pair other people at the party with Michael. Every single person Michael had smiled at. It made a long list. Rage pounded behind Danny's eyes, even as he felt a lump in his throat and his eyes starting to tear.

Worse, the scenarios kept turning him on. //Damn you, Michael. Damn you for making me feel this way.//

xx

After 25 minutes of ever-increasing worry, Michael broke loose from his dance partner. "I'm going to check on Danny. I'll be back."

Justine pouted. "Oh, c'mon, he's a big boy. Well, in a manner of speaking..."

{You bitch.} "You just became a lot less attractive." Michael left her to sputter impotently in his wake. He took the stairs two at a time and started to knock on, then open, doors. He surprised two couples, but neither minded his interruption much. One invited him in, and he declined.

One room had a guy who looked like he rode with a motorcycle gang, providing free piercing services. Fox felt a pang of want but knew Mulder would kill him for it.

//And these are far from the most sterile conditions,// Mulder said.

{All right! Geez! Be helpful. Where do you think Danny went?}

//We still have three more rooms to check. After that, I would try the basement.//

{I don't understand this at all...}

//Maybe he feels uncomfortable.//

{But I asked! If he wanted to go, he only had to say so! He's too important to me...}

Hearing the panicked, wounded child in Fox's voice, Mulder applied a more calming tone. //He had a few beers. Maybe they hit him suddenly, and he needed to sit down somewhere quiet.//

{That's good, that's good.}

[Are you driving that poor boy to drink, Fox?] William asked with a sneer.

{If you can't be helpful, shut up! I need to think here...}

In the second room he tried after that, Fox saw a movement in the shadows. "Danny?"

"Finally noticed I was gone, hunh?" The voice sounded dark and ugly and had a familiar tone in it that made Fox's heart shrivel.

{Daddy?}

"You told me... told me you were fine, and didn't want me asking about you..."

Fox kneeled down in front of the sitting shadow. The overwhelming smell of alcohol on Danny's breath made Fox gag and reminded him of other nights long ago, of another ugly drunk. Of the things that ugly drunk made him do...

Panicked, Mulder buried himself deep, taking Fox Mulder with him, and went utterly silent, until Fox couldn't even feel their presence anymore. William watched impassively and recorded everything, as he always did. Baby cried softly to himself, prepared to scream if things got worse.

Things always got worse.

"And you believed that, Michael? Didn't you look? Couldn't you see?"

"That's... not fair. You told me..."

"You were too busy flirting with your new groupies to notice anything else."

"Danny, I love you, but you're scaring me. Please come away with me?"

"My God, you're a filthy little slut, do you know that?"

<Oh, God, please don't say these things to me.> "Danny..."

A hand flew out of the darkness and hit Fox's face with stinging force and a loud cracking sound. The skin burned, and the slap made Fox's eyes water, but he held the tears back. Daddy had punished tears, and Fox had sworn he would never waste them on the bastard. He had some pride. A little. But the slap didn't hurt as much as what Danny had just said, and Fox wanted to scream and never stop...

{You were different. You were so kind and wonderful. Was it all a lie? A set-up for a more baroque torture a few months down the line when I let down all my defenses and trusted you? Get a few drinks in you, and you're just like Dad. Just like...}

"Leave me the fuck alone, Michael. Go back down there to your friends. Do whatever you want with them. I don't want anything that's been sampled by so many people."

Fox bit his fist, wishing for the X-acto knife blade he had once used to make the small cuts in his flesh that helped manage the pain. This would have to do.

"Yes, sir," Fox said softly before he backed away and closed the door behind him. He slid down the wall and sat down on the floor. Fighting back tears, he felt his face burn, the mark of Danny's hand like a red brand on his skin.

{I'm so fucking stupid. So fucking stupid... Am I that bad a judge of character? Or am I just looking for Dad, as sick as that is?}

xx

"He doesn't appreciate you, you know," a feminine voice said above him. "He doesn't know how to treat you."

Fox looked up to see an elegantly dressed woman and her two male escorts gazing down at him. He could tell that the sympathetic friendliness they wore thinly covered something dark and predatory. Neither of the men was all that tall, but they loomed large to Fox somehow. The small, lean Goth one especially had too-intense eyes...

{I'm too tired for this.} "He's having a bad night."

The woman crouched down. Her slaves made a protective circle, blocking her and Fox from anyone's view... "Let us make it up to you, dear?" She touched the side of his face Danny hadn't hit, and Fox couldn't help leaning into the gentle touch.

{Pathetic. I'd thought I'd come so far...}

[So far? You're right back where you started, boy,] William said. [You got personally involved. It was a mistake that let you get hurt. Now you know better.]

{You just want things back the way they're always been.}

[The way they've always been is safe, Fox.]

In a way, William was right. Fox thought of years of one-night stands, the desperate grabbing for some kind of affection, no matter how illusory or temporary. It wasn't like his condition and on-again, off-again life provided a good foundation for a stable relationship. At least he had been safe, protected from any real hurt.

Alex Krycek, oddly enough, and Danny had given Fox an expectation that things could be different, better, that Fox didn't have to be the world's playtoy. But Krycek was a traitor and a killer, and Danny— Danny had just ripped Fox's heart out and stomped on it, come close to calling him a whore, made him lose faith in his judgment.

{Maybe he's just a really bad drunk. Maybe he didn't really mean any of it. Maybe...}Fox knew this territory by heart. He lived on hope and generous interpretations.

Not that any of it mattered. Fox would take the verbal and physical abuse if Danny showed him a little sugar once in a while. No one else did.

But it would be a long time before Fox would trust Daniel again. Maybe never.

"Come out of the hallway, dear. We don't bite."

{You're lying.} But Fox stood up and followed them anyway.

xx

Danny nursed his last beer in darkness. //Was I a bit rough on him? No. Better to dump him than wait for him to dump me. Better this way for both of us...//

The door crashed open, and the light went on, searing his eyes. "There you are! What the hell did you say to him?" the blue- haired girl he'd last seen in the kitchen shouted, splitting his head.

"What th' hell are you talking about?" It disgusted Danny to hear how sloppy his words sounded. //I didn't have that much...//

"Michael! This group is messing with him and dragging him out, and he's not fighting them. He looks like he's not even home in there. I never saw anyone just phase out like that, just gone... He was so happy when he got here; what did you say to him?"

Danny tried to think of anything he could have said to make him responsible for that. Nope. "Nothin'. Lemme alone."

"Fucking useless! You don't deserve him!" She slammed the door behind her as she ran out.

//You are so right, sister.// To his disgust, he realized that he would have to get up to turn the painful light off. As he stood, the world did a crazy, swaying swing. The girl's words echoed through his head.

"What did you say to him?... This group is messing with him and dragging him out, and he's not fighting them. It's like he's not even home in there... phase out like that, just gone... What did you say to him?

"What did you say to him?

"This group is messing with him and dragging him out, and he's not even fighting them. It's like he's not even home in there..."

Sobriety hit Daniel so hard, he rocked with it as he realized what he had done. //Oh, God, I just stomped every single self-destruct button Michael has. He was—and I just got drunk and said... and said... Oh, God—//

Daniel almost killed himself flying down the steps. While his mind had cleared, the alcohol still ruled his body.

The blue-haired girl—Suz, Danny remembered now—held valiantly onto the arm of a very cold and elegant looking woman who directed her two male companions to keep taking Michael out the door. Michael looked almost mindless as he stood quietly in their grip.

"Is he complaining or protesting? No. I won't take this kind of harassment..."

"Let him go," Daniel said. "He's not going anywhere with you."

She turned to him with a sneer. "You threw him away like trash. You can hardly blame me for recycling the lovely boy."

Michael seemed to come to at the sound of Daniel's voice. He looked ashamed and overwhelmed. Danny could swear he saw a faint red mark in the shape of his hand on Michael's face and felt his soul shrivel further.

//I don't deserve you, Michael.// "Let him go."

The woman laughed. "What will you do if we don't?"

"I'll fight you for him." The two men weren't all that muscular, but there were two of them, and the look in their eyes scared Danny. They looked like people who got off on causing and receiving pain. //Fight them, and probably get myself humiliated or killed, but I can't let them take Michael.//

At that moment Michael kicked one of his escorts in the groin and slammed the other one's head into the doorway. Surprised, they never had a chance to defend themselves. With one man doubled over on the floor and the other one bleeding and unconscious, Michael turned to face the woman. "I'll fight you for me," he said.

She stared Michael down and obviously had to fight against disbelief and confusion. Tension crackled in the air between them. Daniel was afraid of what she might say next. Normally, Danny would be certain Michael would come out on top, but the older man still looked a little shaky, with a slightly fragile air that suggested the right word would shatter him. //I did that to him.//

The woman noticed that a crowd had finally gathered to watch. Her expression turned even more brittle.

"When those two can travel, everybody make sure these three get their sorry asses out of here," Suz said as she pulled Michael away. "They threatened one of my guests."

Seeing the way the tide had turned, the woman stepped out over the bodies of her companions. She left silently without looking back. Two of Suz's hippie friends dragged the men out to the curb and left them there like trash for pick up.

Danny felt so ashamed of himself he couldn't look Michael in the face, especially not with the mark of his hand emblazoned on the older man's cheek. Feeling the staring eyes of the crowd on his back, greedily drinking everything in, Daniel took Michael by the arm, walked until he found an unoccupied room, and closed the door behind them. Michael didn't resist or say a word.

Michael sat down on one of the couches, leaned back until his head met the wall, and closed his eyes. He looked ashamed.

//No, you're the not the one who should feel ashamed here!// "I'm so sorry. You don't need me at all. I'm useless. I'm worse than useless; I actually hurt you."

"Don't be an idiot, Danny. If you hadn't come down, I would have gone away with them and let them do anything they wanted," Michael said softly.

//That doesn't make me feel any better. I don't deserve to feel better. Oh, God, Michael...// "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I said such horrible, lying things to you. I hit you..."

"Yeah. Are you okay, Danny?" Michael asked in an echo of his earlier question.

Danny paused a long moment before speaking. "No, no, I'm not. No I wasn't," he said softly. //Time to do what I should have done from the start.// Once the words started, they tumbled out in a rush. "I don't know anyone here, and crowds make me uncomfortable, and I realized that, much as I would like to, I don't fit in with this group anymore, and I saw the whole house flirting back at you, and you're gorgeous, and I'm not, but you were happy, and I didn't want you to leave just for me, so I started drinking to blunt the pain, and I just made it all worse and hurt you..."

Michael nodded. "Okay. I should have seen all that."

Danny knelt down in front of him. "This isn't your fault! None of it is! You couldn't have known. I should have said something, and I never should started drinking. I'm a terrible drunk."

Michael's wide eyes looked so hurt and so young that Daniel wanted to die looking at him. "So, we don't let this happen next time, okay?" Michael said.

//Next time?// He repeated it stupidly, "Next time?"

"Do you want to go home?" Michael asked, his voice still sounding flatter than it should, leached of much of its warmth. The wariness in it, the sense of holding back, made Daniel want to cry.

The thought of going home tempted, especially going home with Michael, but Danny felt he hadn't begun to pay for what he had done. "I owe you a dance."

"I don't want this to be a punishment thing for you. I won't dance with you if I know you're not enjoying it."

//How can we know each other this well at times, and then still screw up so royally?// "I'll enjoy it."

"No, you won't. We'll go home." Michael stood and helped Danny up. Danny's head spun, and he could feel his stomach moving up his throat. He fought it back down.

When they reached the hallway, the crowd had already dispersed, to Daniel's relief. Only Suz, looking worried, remained. She offered them a bowl.

Danny at first thought she'd anticipated his urge to throw up, but then saw the pile of colored stones in it. "I can't let you go without a parting gift. Everybody will get one," she said, mostly to Michael. She wouldn't look at Danny. Michael choose a small amethyst quartz crystal chunk, with spikes of purple rising from an amethyst and quartz base that looked like ices.

Danny let his hand roam through the bowl until it closed on a cool, oval stone. He saw pale green on his palm when he pulled it out. Jade.

Michael let Suz hug him good-bye, then led Danny out into the cold night air. The temperature change hit Danny like a fist to the gut. He managed to hold back until they reached the curb, where he fell to his knees, retching. Michael held him until the spasms passed, then led him to the car, carefully settled him into the passenger seat, and belted him in.

As the door slammed, Danny closed his eyes. //I am such a fuck- up. Stupid, stupid... How can Michael ever trust me again?// His hand closed on the cool, smooth stone, and he tried to use the sensation to ground himself.

"If you need to throw up, tell me, and I'll stop," Michael said. It was the last thing he said for the rest of the ride. He listened impassively to Daniel's repeated rambling apologies and promises. The words, "Never again, I swear to you. I love you. I swear I'll make it up to you. I'm sorry," were featured prominently. Danny had to ask him to pull over three times before they got to the apartment.

When they arrived, Michael unlocked the door and turned on a single dim light. Danny wandered into the bathroom and brushed his teeth viciously, trying to scrub the beer and vomit taste from his mouth but also trying to erase the whole evening. He spat blood and toothpaste into the sink. He looked into the mirror at a face by turns corpse-pale and drunkard-flushed. Ugly. He put his toothbrush back on the rack next to Michael's black one.

"You okay?" Michael asked from outside the door.

"Yeah. I'm going to take a shower."

Danny turned the water on as cold as he could stand and shivered miserably under it. He felt like cold stones were pounding his head, and gooseflesh came up all over his body, but he felt sober. //God, I saw two uncles struggle with the bottle and how nasty they were under the influence, and I still tried to use drink to make things easier. Stupid, Danny, real stupid. And God knows what I did to Michael. He's been so quiet...//

He finished the shower and wrapped a towel around himself. He reached automatically for the blue silk robe that hung from a nearby hook but stopped the gesture. He couldn't wear Michael's luxurious present tonight. He knew he didn't deserve it.

He walked out with just the towel, shivering from the cool air, and saw Michael sitting on the couch absently stroking Mr. Whiskers. Michael looked up, and he looked so completely beaten that Daniel winced inside.

"My turn," Michael said quietly before he took his things into the bathroom.

Daniel settled onto the couch, wrapped his grandmother's afghan around himself, and closed his eyes. He would let Michael have the bed tonight. Mr. Whiskers nudged his hand with her head. Wik always knew when he didn't feel well and came over to try to cheer him up. //I don't deserve you either... Maybe if I go to sleep, I can wake up in the morning and find out that none of this really happened. That it was all just a bad dream.//

Daniel passed out and came to at the sound of a warm voice saying, "I understand punishment, but this is a bit ostentatious. You'll catch your death out here."

Michael dragged him up from the couch and led him to the bedroom. "No, after what I've done..." Danny protested.

"Shush." Michael pulled the comforters up around them and snuggled into Danny. "Damn, you're cold. You should see some of the things I've done when I was feeling insecure." Michael kissed him.

"I don't—"

"I love you. What do I have to do to make you believe it?" Michael clutched him tightly, trying to transfer heat, and refused to let him pull away.

Daniel realized that Michael, one of the most tactile people he'd ever met, needed this, the reassurance of touch. Daniel relaxed into him and stroked his back, murmuring, "I'm sorry. I'll kill myself before I do that to you again."

Michael shivered. "It hurt."

"Never again, Michael," Daniel said as he gently nuzzled his lover's neck. "I don't deserve you..."

Wrapped in Michael's warmth, Danny faded into sleep.

xx

Next Friday, they stayed in for a quiet evening. Daniel sat on the couch with Michael's head resting on his lap, while Michael used Wik's purring body on his chest as a bookstand. Danny gently stroked his lover's soft brown hair and tried not to feel so damned guilty. The new reserve between them didn't help either.

Danny knew he would have to earn Michael's trust back, and he knew it would take a while. He also knew that Michael was more than worth it.

"I know you like to go out and party, Michael—"

Michael sighed, but obviously more in contentment than annoyance. "Danny, this is nice. Trust me."

//I really have to learn how to do that.// "I have something for you."

Michael sat up, and his vibrant green eyes sparkled for the first time in a while. "Really?"

//Like a kid at Christmas... Damn, he's beautiful.// "I put the order in four weeks ago, so it has nothing to do with last weekend. I'm not trying to buy you."

"Danny, you know I have no patience. What is it?"

Daniel picked a plain box up from the end table and handed it to Michael, who spent one moment studying it before he ripped into it. He carefully smoothed ivory tissue paper away before he reached in and lifted the item out.

"Oh, Danny, it's beautiful." Michael held a small black marble statue in his hands. Michael the Archangel stood triumphant with his foot on the neck of the vanquished dragon, Satan. He held a set of scales in one hand and a burning sword in the other. The artist had articulated every feather on the angel's wings, every scale on the dragon. Buffed to a high shine, the statue gleamed in the lamplight.

"Do you like it?" Danny asked softly.

"It's—it's incredible. No one has ever gotten me anything like this before." Michael traced the face with his fingers.

"I remember the way you stared at the statuary in that booth at the bazaar we went to. I put a specialty order in."

"This must have cost a fortune."

"Not too much. It's small."

Michael gave him a dubious look. Danny just shrugged and smiled. "This is the way I see you, Michael, refusing to let the dragon win."

"I love it. Let me show you how much." Michael gently put the statue down on the coffee table, taking a moment to arrange it just so, then pulled him closer for a kiss. Daniel felt a lessening of Michael's reserve in the fierceness of the lips against his and the possessiveness of the hands that roamed under his shirt and, finally, into his pants.

Daniel knew he hadn't fully regained Michael's trust, nor did he feel he'd deserved to yet. Not with a gift, a bribe. The thought and care behind the gift was a different story.

As Danny's mouth trailed down Michael's chest, before it stopped at its intended destination and swallowed him whole, Michael gasped, "I thought I'd be the one doing the thanking." Soon he couldn't say anything coherent at all, just moan Daniel's name and try not to buck too hard.

Saying "I love you" with gifts and sex wasn't enough, of course. But as Danny lost himself in his lover, he hoped it could at least be a start.

xx

Part VI—Wednesday

"Distant noises,
Other voices,
Pounding in my broken head.
Commit the sin.
Commit yourself.
And all the other voices said,
Change your mind.
You're always wrong,
Always wrong..."
—"Other Voices" by the Cure

The sound of a key turning and turning in the lock on his front door confused Daniel Pendrell. He hadn't been expecting anyone, and the only person who had a key never showed up any earlier than Friday night. Or showed this much trouble unlocking the door.

Danny pulled the door open. "Oh, God, Michael, what happened to you?" He grabbed his shaking lover and pulled him inside.

From the wetness and flush on his face, Michael had obviously been crying. It took a hell of a lot to make Michael cry. "Danny, could I stay here for the night?" he asked softly. "I know it's Wednesday, but—"

Danny pulled him in close. "Of course you can. Stay forever, if you want."

As he hugged Michael tightly, Danny felt a warm glow. After a disastrous night a little over a month ago, their relationship had still been loving, but showed signs of strain. Tonight, an upset Michael had obviously run directly here for comforting and support. It suggested a return of some of the trust Danny had so stupidly destroyed.

Michael had obviously run directly over.

Michael wore a dark blue trench coat, rumpled suit, undone tie, and dress shoes. He smelled of sex and an unfamiliar cologne. Then Danny realized that he recognized the scent after all.

He had known for months, but hadn't let himself believe it. He would never have been able to deal with Mulder in a professional manner at all otherwise. Mulder had kept his distance too, probably for similar reasons.

Danny never took it up with Michael because his lover seemed so desperate to protect Mulder's identity. He found it touching and completely characteristic. Michael had always been freshly showered and done up as himself every time he came over. Tonight, something, or someone, had upset him so deeply that he'd neglected all his precautions.

//I won't say anything unless he does, but I want to kill whoever did this to him.//

xx

Fox meekly let Danny lead him to the kitchen and sit him at the table. He rested his face in his hands. {Why did Alex say such horrible things to us? I'm not a whore; I was just returning a favor. Someone does something nice for you, you do something nice in return...}

[Krycek thinks he owns Mulder,] William said.

//He does not!// Mulder protested.

[Doesn't own you, or doesn't think he owns you?]

//Shut up! It's okay, Fox.//

{Oh, God, does Senator Matheson think I'm a whore? Does he think I have sex with him just to pay for the information and support he gives us?}

[No doubt.]

{Oh, God...}

Mr. Whiskers leapt into his lap to comfort him and be petted. After some obvious confusion on her part about his identity—she had always preferred Fox to Mulder, but he smelled mostly like Mulder now—she purred and rubbed herself against his arm, leaving orange and white hairs on his blue coat. Fox found comfort in the steady vibration of her happiness and the beauty the combination of colors provided...

[Stop phasing out! You're going to face this, Fox.]

{But I don't want to! This is too much for me!}

//This is my fault, Fox.//

{What? How can you figure that?}

//I— should have figured out what was going on with Matheson, should have stopped it, but you seemed okay... I always blanked out and didn't want to think about it... I all but pimped you off to him!//

[Congratulations, boys, you both fucked up. Give yourselves a hand. Mulder, you've been looking the other way, even knowing Fox's problems, as long as Matheson helped your holy quest for the Truth. Fox, you've been playing bottom boy to the senator, trying to help Mulder and looking for affection from Daddy, for so many years that you saw nothing wrong with continuing even after you found yourself a steady. In fact, you still stink of Matheson. Good going, kids.]

Fox couldn't help the sob that ripped from his throat. He had been doing so well, Mulder had been saying so constantly. Under Alex's sporadic attention and Danny's intensive care, Fox knew he had been changing. He'd thought he had at least a few of his problems whipped. He usually understood people so well that falling headfirst into a giant blind spot hurt even more. How could he have been so fucking stupid?

//We see what we want to see. We can't clearly see the people we deal with directly, because we're fogged by our own perception of them. It happens, Fox. I do it all the fucking time. It's not your fault.//

Danny put a heaping bowl of ice cream and a spoon in front of Fox before pulling him into another hug. "Do you want to talk about it?"

Fox shook his head. He picked up the spoon with a trembling hand and shoveled some ice cream into his mouth, desperate to banish the taste of Matheson. Sweet, creamy vanilla, bittersweet chocolate chips, and chewy, sugary, butterscotch-flavored chunks melted on his tongue. Cookie dough ice cream. Danny had immediately brought out the big gun flavor for him, which told Fox that he must look like shit.

He couldn't tell Danny about this, not about Matheson or Krycek. Now that he'd gotten out the almost mindless trance he went into over his... relationship with Matheson, Fox knew that he couldn't tell Danny about it without hurting him. He didn't want to ever hurt Danny.

Fox put on a tremulous smile. "No, it's okay. I just can't stay in my apartment. Not tonight, maybe not even tomorrow night. You don't mind me staying here?"

The look Danny gave him wrapped warmly around his shaken self like a favorite quilt. "I want you here. I love you, Michael."

Fox's smile widened. "I love you too, Danny."

Danny started to spoon feed him. The care and ice cream settled Fox a bit, brought out his usual optimism. It wouldn't be so bad. Danny loved him, and he would change things with Matheson as soon as possible now that he knew. He didn't have to be anyone's playtoy anymore. Dad was dead.

"Michael... what are you going to do about your suits? I mean, you'll have to go back to your apartment, right?"

{Oh, shit. Oh, shit!}

//You're still wearing my suit.//

[The light at the end of the tunnel is a train. Haven't you figured that out yet?]

{He knows! I can see it in his eyes! I'm so sorry, Mulder! I fucked everything up, everything I touch...}

//It's okay. I think he already knew and didn't say anything out of deference to your feelings. He's a good man, Fox.//

{Yes, I think he is, but you're just saying that to make me feel better. I think you still want to string him up for what he did to us that night.}

//What do you want me to say?// {What you really think, always.}

//That's... not always easy.//

[He doesn't want to hurt you, kid, so he coddles you instead.]

{I'm so tired of lying to, and keeping things from, Danny. He deserves better...}

[ //No, he doesn't.// ]

{When you two agree, you scare the hell out of me.}

//Do what you think is right, Fox.//

[Are you kidding? He's just a boy; he has no sense of judgment or restraint.]

"Michael?"

"I have some friends I keep some spare work clothing with. I'll be fine." Mulder's connection with the Lone Gunmen would save their bacon once again.

[Unless Krycek already thought of them.]

As Fox whimpered internally, Mulder said, //He'll be too busy staking out our apartment. Shut up.//

xx

Danny watched Michael fight with himself. Only someone who knew him well would see that from the way the eyes flickered. It always scared Danny when the older man forgot to put up the facade of normality. Aside from being genuinely unsettling, it also suggested a mental turmoil beyond the usual.

The obvious internal fighting wasn't the only thing that scared Danny. Watching Michael being Michael in Mulder's clothing and cologne made him crazy with cognitive dissonance and confused lust. His sight and sense of smell kept saying, Mulder/not Mulder. The expensive cologne and more herbal scent provided a light cover over Michael's sweeter, spicier essence. The musk of sex also clung to the skin, but even that didn't smell quite the same. Danny buried his nose in the back of Michael's neck and couldn't help inhaling deeply, shivering himself as he felt the older man respond to the intimacy and the feel of small, fine hairs being disturbed by warm breath.

//Now I'm making myself crazier imagining how he feels about what I'm doing to him. Dumb, Danny.//

Danny had enough trouble stopping himself from being attracted to Mulder alone, without bringing this confusion into it. The part of him that wanted to kill the other agent had no connection to the part that wanted to bend the other man over a lab table.

//God, how will I face Mulder at work next time?// It had been hard enough telling his groin to behave when he could still tell himself that they weren't the same person, but now that he knew and would associate Mulder's scent with tonight, with this warm weight in his arms... //This is hell.//

He just had to be strong. Danny had survived facing Dana Scully, so he could deal with this. //The two agents I want to see both most and least, and they're partners who usually walk in together. Lovely.//

Michael quivered in Danny's embrace, but the ice cream had calmed him a bit, like it usually did. Knowing this had helped in the past too. The older man acted like a big kid sometimes, which Danny found simultaneously endearing and disturbing. Michael dove into the carton for more.

//What could be bad enough to need a whole half-gallon of cookie dough ice cream? I want to know so badly, but I won't pry. If he tells me, good, but if not... God, don't I feel virtuous.//

When Michael kissed him, Danny luxuriated in the cool lips against his own and the flavors of chocolate, butterscotch, and sweet cream. He lost his mind and sense in the scent and feel of Michael/Mulder...

Gasping, Michael pulled away. "I'm— I'm sorry, I should shower first. This has to be confusing the hell out of you."

"It's okay." //Oh, no it's not.//

"Let me—" Michael looked away. "Let me wash Mulder off first," he said quietly.

//Oh, my God, he's doing it!// "Michael—"

Michael put a finger to Danny's lips. "You knew, but didn't let yourself admit it. I knew you knew—I know you're too smart to be fooled—but I let myself ignore that, hoping it would go away if I didn't let myself look at it. I want it out in the open. I only wanted to protect Mulder—"

Danny held him tighter. "I understand. Believe me, I do. I would never say a word about this. I don't think other people would be as understanding."

"That's an understatement. Danny, I wanted you to know that I've been calling Mulder 'Marty' to you for the last few months."

Danny had never met 'Marty,' only knew him from Michael's descriptions, but knowing that Mulder was Marty put the agent in a different, kinder light. Michael saw 'Marty' as a thoughtful, self- sacrificing, protective older brother.

"And, Danny, my name isn't... isn't Michael. I'd like it to be, but I've actually been 'Fox' for my whole life. I didn't tell you for obvious reasons."

//One thing about Michael, he never does anything halfway. "Fox"...//

"What do you want to say, Danny?"

"What?"

"I can tell you want to say something. Please tell me." Michael sounded so dispirited.

"It's just... that I like 'Fox.' I think it suits you." //He probably named you. I can see where you might want to reclaim your soul by naming yourself...// "But I can see how it might not have pleasant memories for you."

xx

{He likes my real name better... My God, he's being good about this.}

[Maybe too good.]

{Leave me alone...}

"Danny," Fox swallowed, "would you say my name? Say 'Fox' again?"

Danny said "Fox" into his skin, and it didn't feel like the restraining or slapping hand Dad had made the name into. Danny's "Fox" felt like the supportive arm of a friend draped over his shoulders, warm and inviting.

Fox shivered. "Say it again?" The next one sounded lower and deeper, and this one felt like a lover's touch, hot and familiar, caressing his back. {Ohhhh...} He couldn't distrust a person who said his name like that. "You don't make it sound like he did." Fox couldn't believe how low and rough his own voice sounded. "You could use it as a nickname, if you like it."

Danny smiled widely, and Fox couldn't help being struck by the beauty of it. He loved bringing the younger man out. He had always had a thing for shy people, for those moments when love made all the reserve crumble and the person flare to life, changing from not-here-don't-look-at-me to a pure, open radiation of self. Fox could never help wanting to bring those walls down and let the world see what he saw.

"You're beautiful, do you know that?" Fox whispered.

That led to kissing and the both of them gently, but insistently stripping one another. Sheer joy hazed Fox's mind. He'd told Danny the truth about who he was, and Danny still wanted him and didn't hate him for the lies.

Mr. Whiskers' annoyed attempts to get off his lap and out of the middle of their clinch helped Fox regain control of himself just after Danny had finished unbuttoning his shirt. When he pushed Danny away a little, Wik quickly got herself clear and gave them the most disgusted look she could manage before she stalked off.

"I'm sorry, Wik," Danny said as Fox giggled.

"It's better this way," Fox said. "I don't want to do this dressed like this. Take a shower with me?"

"My pleasure."

Once they reached the bathroom, they went back to stripping one another, with even Danny flinging clothing to the floor. Fox heard Mulder trying to protest, but he shushed him as being the last person who had a right to complain about suit abuse. They somehow managed to maneuver themselves into the tub without letting go of one another. Danny turned on the water, first shocking them with cold before he regained the presence of mind to adjust the temperature to pleasantly hot. The abrupt temperature changes further sensitized already tingling skin. Fox was sure they'd kill themselves on the wet tile, but with the younger man's insistent lips and cock pressing into his body, it didn't seem to matter.

Danny's ardor amazed Fox; he must have found something intensely kinky in his lover wearing another man's clothing and scent, or maybe just in the fact that it was Wednesday instead of the usual weekend. He had been aroused into a force of nature, and Fox couldn't be happier. His touch, his taste, the scent of his soap erased the hours before. Danny's hands, slick with soap, slid over every square inch of skin, as if trying to sculpt Fox into a new shape.

"Claim me, make me yours," Fox whispered against Danny's lips in a brief moment between kisses.

"Anything you want."

As they stroked and ground against one another, aroused past finesse, Fox gloried in being able to feel Danny all over his body. The past disappeared, leaving only an intense, pleasurable Now, and he felt a brief pang at how much easier things had been when he could live in the moment all the time, without thought or conscience or regret. Then, thought fled entirely as he let himself drown in sensation. Danny came first, gasping "Fox!" The sound of his actual name on Danny's lips—said with such clean, bright passion—brought Fox over right after him.

Panting, they leaned back against the wall under the spray for a few minutes before Danny opened his eyes and said, "We're turning into prunes here."

Fox just murmured, spent. He heard Danny chuckle, and then felt himself being gently led out and wrapped in a towel. Eventually, he was lying down surrounded by fresh sheets and two warm bodies, one Danny and the other, a purring cat. He fell asleep comforted by the slow pounding of Danny's heart at his back.

xx

Danny stayed awake for hours wondering over impossible things like whether each personality had a soul and how Mulder could so recklessly risk all of their lives. As his fingers traced numerous scars, he felt the urge to lock them away somewhere safe.

//This complicates everything. How will I face Mulder next time?// Danny remembered with some shame the way he had behaved in the kitchen, aroused both by Michael himself, and by Mulder's accoutrements on him. //There's nothing quite like being in a hell of your own making.//

It felt so good having him here. It was so hard just seeing Michael on the weekends, not just from missing the older man, but also from the odd feeling of living two lives himself. Danny had a weekday life of work as a meek Labmouse, and wild weekends with his lover. The two had almost no connections.

When he stroked the bullet scar on Michael's shoulder, Michael stirred and moaned, but not in an aroused way. "What's wrong, Fox?" Danny asked in concern, even as he enjoyed the sound of the nickname in his mouth. //It's so damned perfect...//

"It's stupid." Michael laughed softly and winced. "My stomach hurts from all the ice cream I had. I have an ice cream hangover."

"Is there anything I can do?"

"No, it's okay. I'll be fine." Michael turned and burrowed into him. "And I love the way you say that name."

Danny felt a strong urge to protect the older man. It had hurt him to see Michael so upset earlier. //Stay forever if you want to. Even though I think it would make you feel better if you did, you don't have to tell me what's wrong, or anything you don't want to. It doesn't matter. I love you, and I'll always be here for you.// He drifted into sleep with Michael wrapped around him.

When Danny work up the next morning, Michael had already let himself out, leaving only a swiftly fleeting warmth and the whisper of his scent on the pillow. Sighing, Danny removed a purring, but heavy, Wik from his chest and got out of bed.

xx

Danny had just bought his lunch when Mulder caught up to him. He managed to throttle down the flash of lust that had thrummed through him as he saw the other agent walking toward him. "What can I do for you, Mulder?"

"Could we go somewhere a little more private? I have to talk to you."

Now that Danny knew for sure and could admit it, he couldn't help making comparisons. Mulder had the same, low, raw silk and sandpaper voice, with the same effect on Danny's groin, but deeper, and without the slight New England accent. Michael showed more facial expressions and moved more energetically and gracefully.

//Oh, shoot me. I'm scoping out another man. Sure, it's the same body, but it's still not right, and it's disloyal to Michael...//

"Pendrell?"

//Have to stop woolgathering. At least he's wearing a different cologne from last night.// "Sure, that's no problem."

Once they reached a more deserted part of the street, and Mulder seem to feel satisfied that no one could eavesdrop, he said, "I appreciate your kindness to Fox last night and you offering us a place to stay." At least he looked as uncomfortable as Danny felt.

"But?"

"I don't forgive as easily as he does. You still have to earn my trust again. If you ever talk to him or hit him like you did that night, I'll make it so you'll never hurt anyone again. Am I making myself clear?"

//Oh, God, I see...// "A little while back, I realized that I didn't just attack him that night, I hurt all of you, didn't I? Just like he did."

Although it hurt to realize that he hadn't gained back all their trust, just Michael's, he knew he deserved this. //In one night I struck at all of them, and they're not too stable to begin with. Please, God, I don't want to screw them up worse. I want to be good for Michael and the rest of them. He deserves that.//

Mulder looked away, and his monotone turned even flatter. "I said my piece. I just hope that none of this gets in the way of our working relationship. You're the best at what you do, and I'd hate to lose your talents."

Danny fought down the urge to reach out and pull Mulder into a hug. He couldn't even tell himself whether he felt that impulse from confusing Mulder with Michael or from something he felt from Mulder. //This is what Michael was trying to save me from by keeping the truth from me. I see it all now. Sure, Mulder, I can do that easily. I can separate my personal life from work, and you from Michael, with no problems. Sure. It's almost enough to make me wish I could be at least two different people.//

Aloud, Danny said, "Truthfully, I would think less of you if you weren't so protective of him. I can separate my job from the things that happen outside of it. At work, last night never happened."

"That's good. Thanks." Mulder actually sounded grateful.

//What must it be like to have to keep such a terrible secret, one that would make you lose everything if it got out?// "See you tonight? Well, one of you."

Mulder sighed. "Fox is looking forward to it."

xx

Part VII—Low

Mulder sat in the near-dark, too tired to turn on the light but also too tired to sleep. Only the little bit of light coming in from the window kept the apartment from being as dark as it had been hiding under those leaves in the Siberian forest, praying no one would find him. As dark as the alien oil that had invaded his body...

When that oil well had started to erupt later, Mulder had felt a shock of deep terror at the sight of the black stuff spewing at him. Not even the threat of getting blown to hell immediately afterward had scared him that badly.

His mind chased itself in circles. He tried so hard not to think about Alex... so of course he couldn't help himself. Every thought of every recent brush with death twined with memories of Alex. Every thought of betrayal.

Every memory of being briefly loved by someone who wasn't a part of himself. Had that ever been real?

Mulder knew he should have trusted his doubts and never gotten involved in that relationship. If he'd been smart, maybe he wouldn't feel like someone had ripped his soul out, and Fox wouldn't be weeping quietly in a dark corner. William had been right. Yet, instead of gloating, he was silent and still in a way that scared Mulder.

Mulder's eyes felt burned and dry. Tears had been, as always, useless. They just made him feel worse, sicker. Weak.

He heard knocking at the door. He shouldn't get it, not while he was in this state. He didn't want anyone to see him like this.

But he needed to get out of this hole for at least a little while...

Mulder slowly pulled himself to his feet.

xx

//This is a big mistake.// Daniel Pendrell knocked at the door anyway. Apartment #42. He wondered if Michael or any of the others were Douglas Adams fans. Probably.

The door opened just a crack to reveal a sliver of face and one very reddened eye. It blinked at him a few times. "Go away, Pendrell. Michael's not coming out to play tonight," Mulder said softly. His voice sounded like it had been dragged over stones.

//Has he been crying?// "I'm concerned about you too."

"Like hell. You just want to see if you can pry any information out of me."

"The rumors going around have been pretty wild," //Never mind that weirdness with the rock I saw for myself.// "but I'm not the gossiping type. Besides, it's not so unusual to try to get in good with your lover's family."

"And that's me?"

"You and whoever else is in there. We need to talk."

To Danny's surprise, Mulder gave in immediately. "Sure, but not here." Total, weary surrender didn't bode well for Mulder's state of mind.

Michael had mentioned once that the apartment was bugged. After that, Danny had started to check his own and recently found one. People really were out to get Mulder.

"I know a safe place," Danny said.

Mulder sighed. "Let me get ready."

The door opened a bit more onto almost complete darkness. The thought of Mulder sitting in the dark brooding on whatever had happened over the last few, mysterious days sent a chill into Danny's heart. Standing out in the hallway, he wondered again, as he'd wondered over and over while Mulder had been missing, if being involved with them was a good idea.

Mulder put on black sneakers and a leather jacket, then left with Danny in silence. The drive passed similarly, with Mulder quiet and looking too worn out to move. The flashes of light from passing cars on his face revealed a serious gash on his forehead and the evidence of an extended crying jag. Michael had always said that Mulder was the one who dealt with the pain...

Danny pulled the car into the driveway and spent three minutes struggling with the locks on the front door. Aunt Deirdre and Uncle Justin had replaced them a year after they got the house. //A little over a year after Mom and Dad had died, leaving it to them...// Danny swallowed down the lump in his throat. It was stupid to still cry about it three years after the car accident.

Once Danny had the door closed behind them, Mulder asked, "Where are we?"

"My aunt's house. She and her husband took the kids on vacation for a week, so I'm taking care of it and the cats."

It always jarred him to see his aunt and uncle's furnishings intermingled with his parents'—the furniture he'd grown up with. He figured that being uncomfortable here would put him on equal ground with Mulder, who seemed to be off-balance already.

Besides, there was no way in hell he'd even think of putting a move on Mulder in his parents' house.

Same body or no, Michael and Mulder were two very different people. Danny never forgot that. His attraction to Mulder had a different source. But that didn't make it any less wrong...

He loved Michael too deeply to cheat with anyone else. He just had to remind his treacherous groin of that.

As he led Mulder to his parents' favorite couch, the one that had one of Grandma's afghans draped over the back, he fought off the furry obstacles throwing themselves around his ankles. Stormy, Misty, Morris Q. Pussycat, and Shadow Skitty all knew that someone coming in the door meant food and intended to show him how deeply they loved him. Once he fed them, he lost much of his attraction.

Then he came home to his own cat, who threw jealous fits at smelling others on him. Fortunately, Mr. Whiskers was too old to get really nasty. But she could be terribly subtle...

"If you trip me and I break my neck, you won't get any food!" Danny protested, and Mulder laughed a little. It made Danny smile. "All right, furballs, I'm going to the kitchen. Do you want the chicken or the Deep Sea Delight?" As Danny headed for the cat food, a river of fur followed. "I'll be right back, Mulder."

Danny returned to find Mulder still sitting on the couch but with a picture frame in his hand. "Is your family trying to keep the redhead strain going single-handed?" //He wants to avoid the subject. Too bad.// "You can talk here, Mulder. No bugs."

"Why would I want to talk?"

"Because you have no one else to confide in. Agent Scully doesn't know—"

"How do you figure that?"

"I know her. A little. If she knew, you wouldn't be working right now. She'd make you get help."

Mulder looked so sad. "Once you're officially crazy, people can do anything to you. If you try to get help against the abuse, they can just tell your intended rescuers that you're crazy, imagining it all... How long do you think I'd survive, considering my enemies?"

"I never thought about it that way."

"I consider my options once in a while." Mulder looked down. "Besides, I did confide in someone, and it didn't help me. In fact... he betrayed me."

"But I won't. I can tell that what you've just been through is eating you alive. Just what I know scares the hell out of me. The organism in that confiscated rock, the days you disappeared, Agent Scully facing a Senate subcommittee and being held in contempt of Congress... Something big happened, then got swept under the rug. The evidence vanished, and all the people who were involved are dead or missing."

"People have died for knowing some of the things I know."

"But no one will realize I know. Tell me, Mulder. I won't pass judgment, no matter what you say."

Mulder spoke without ever looking up, instead his eyes watched his fingers trace patterns over the faded denim on his thighs. His voice ensnared Danny in a nightmarish spell as he described events in ways that somehow let the younger man see them. The horror, pain, fear, betrayal... Danny now knew how it felt to be faced with death and mutilation repeatedly over a short period of time, to be betrayed terribly by someone he loved. He'd picked up on that too despite Mulder's efforts to hide it. //You loved Krycek, and he gave you to the horror of the experiments. It's amazing you can trust me at all.//

By the end, tears flowed silently down Mulder's face. Danny pulled him near and held him. He tried to pull away, but Danny said, "It's okay. I won't hurt you." He shuddered a bit, then turned his face into the younger man's neck. He seemed to be trying to slow and even out his breathing. "You're just tired, Mulder. Anyone would be a mess after what you've been through."

//I was a mess, and I wasn't even sure what was going on with you.// Danny had been dying to know for sure for months whether Michael was a splinter of Special Agent Mulder, but he'd never wondered what the side effects of having that knowledge would be. Mulder threw himself into deadly situations. When he'd disappeared, he, of course, took Michael with him. Danny had spent days in terror wondering if they'd ever get back.

This wouldn't be the last time, either. This was Fox Mulder's life; when he didn't fling himself into danger, he had danger looking for him.

With the secret nature of their relationship—well, secret aside from whoever had planted the bug in Danny's apartment—Danny wouldn't even know Michael was dead until news of Mulder's death filtered through the bureau.

//I'd thought dealing with the mental illness would be hardest. Am I strong enough to come to terms with this too?//

Danny's hands slid under the leather to stroke across the worn cotton of Mulder's sweatshirt before finding their way to warm skin. They glided over his spine, vertebra by vertebra. Mulder—at least Danny thought it was Mulder—sighed and relaxed a little, which made him feel better too. The terror and anxiety of the past few days slowly dissolved under the welcome human contact. He didn't know when they started to kiss, when their arms tightened around one another...

//I'm making out on my parents' couch with someone forbidden, just like I'm some damned teenager.// But the thought only made Danny harder.

Then Mulder went stiff in his arms. //Oh God, time to stop.// Before Danny could let go, he was knocked away to the other end of the couch. As he struggled to catch a breath, he looked up into eyes like black ice. Hands like steel manacles pinned his to the couch.

"Just when you start to earn a little trust, you do something stupid. Why is that, Daniel?"

William.

xx

Usually William had to seize control. This time Mulder had flung it to him in a panic, begging him to take over, save them from this mess. It should have warmed what little heart he had to hear one of the boys admitting that he was right, that he was needed.

"I was... was about to pull away..." Danny said.

"It shouldn't have started to begin with."

None of this should have. He'd always let Fox have his little one- night stands because the kid couldn't function as well without them. The boy would get his small fix of faux affection and be content for a while.

Daniel Pendrell had gotten under Fox's skin too quickly for William to anticipate and stop. William had never thought the boy would need anyone that much, or after so short a time. If he'd been wise, he would have forced an end to the romance immediately, hurt Fox a little in the beginning to spare the kid greater pain in the future. But he'd been too soft-hearted, too happy to see the boy so elated, and failed to take matters into his own hands, as he should have.

Despite all the odds, Fox had changed due to that relationship, and it was all Daniel's fault.

William thought of the scars Alex Krycek had left on Mulder. He'd taken control of things too late. [Everything went wrong despite me...] There was no way in hell he was going to let anyone else play with his boys.

"It ends here, tonight," William said.

Daniel got an odd look in his eyes. "He says I'm good for him."

William only barely restrained the urge to shake the little bastard. "Fox is desperate for love. He wouldn't know `good for him' if it bit him on the ass. If you were as kind as you think you are, you would have broken it off with him as soon as you found out what we are. Driven him home instead of letting him stay over and fall into bed with you."

"I care about him. If I had sent him packing when I found out about all of you, it would have hurt him badly."

"Not as much as you'll hurt him in the future." [Everyone leaves, sooner or later, whether they want to or not.] "Besides, this can't end well, Daniel. We're fucked up." William's hands tightened on Danny's wrist. "I'm not going to stand by while you fuck with Mulder too, especially when he's already down and vulnerable. Back away."

[You're involved with Fox, you're involved with all of us, and you don't even know us. Maybe you think you do, but you're wrong. I'm the first, the memory and common sense. Mulder's the breadwinner and whipping boy. Baby is the voice of our pain. Are you even aware of Baby? Fox Mulder was the great futile hope for normality. Fox is the intrepid seeker after a true-blue love that doesn't exist in this world who'll settle for any scrap of affection he can get from a one-night stand. But you see only what you want to see...]

William smiled. "How much do I have to scare you to make you see sense?"

"Michael has told me about you, you know."

William looked through his memories to see exactly what the kid had said and was appalled. Fox had told of a personality forced to become hard and cold and grow up too fast to deal with the burden of its memories and protect its younger brothers. The one who never got any love. That kind of nonsense inspired sneers or pity, when all William had ever wanted was respect or fear. Who knew what kind of stupid conclusions the labrat had come to based on that?

"Fox romanticizes everything. It's his nature." William felt delicate bones start to grind under his grip. "This isn't about me anyway."

Pendrell winced and briefly bit his lip but kept on anyway. "Do you know why you don't feel for other people?"

This had to be stopped. "Because I'm a fucking sociopath?"

"Because you're terrified of getting hurt or the others getting hurt. But it doesn't have to be that way. Has anyone ever held you?"

"You think life is so simple?"

"You can't hurt me. The others would never forgive you. All you can do is..." Daniel did the last thing William would have expected; he pulled his attacker down toward him.

William saw it coming and knew he wouldn't be able to stop it in time. Panicked, he tried to dive under to avoid it, but the others wouldn't let him.

/I remember another couch when you popped up despite all your promises. Live with it./

[You actually enjoy this, so why don't you take over?]

/I wouldn't miss this for the world./

//I'm not jumping in either,// Mulder said. //Deal with it.//

A soft voice, rarely heard, said, ||I'm futile. There's nothing I can do.||

Usually Fox Mulder was just a shadow, a veil, that barely qualified as a personality. For him to come out... It was like hearing your dog talk to you.

||You're not helping yourself.||

Baby could take it. Wouldn't that be a pleasant surprise for the labrat?

/Too late./

Then Daniel Pendrell had William tightly clasped in his arms. William twitched helplessly, unable to break free without seriously hurting his captor. The hug was heat and pressure, a manacle, a claim of ownership. The others' memories flashed through his mind for comparison: Mom's absent-minded loose clasps, Dad's evil lust, Phoebe's steel-clawed possession, all the pick-ups who pretended love through their touches, Patterson's steel-armed ownership, Matheson's caresses like the hugs a man would give his favorite dog, Scully's concerned embraces, her clutching-him- tightly-as-an-anchor clasps. The last memory was from a boy two decades dead as the bad things gripped him and started to fasten him to a metal table...

When William broke free of Pendrell's grasp at last, he almost tumbled off the couch from the force of his escape, but he managed to remain upright somehow. He stared down at Daniel, who had such a stupidly expectant look on his face. "What was that supposed to do? Was I supposed to see flights of angels? Realize the error of my ways? It did nothing but show me how stubbornly dangerous you are."

William backed toward the door and got himself out of the house as soon as possible. The late November cold hit like a shock, but they would warm up once they started moving. He immediately took up a fast but measured run, pacing himself. He'd memorized the route Pendrell had taken to get here, but he only intended to find a place he could call a cab from. Given Mulder's life, they always stashed a small wad of cash in a few different items of clothing just in case they got taken at an odd time. The leather jacket had $100 in ten dollar bills in an inside pocket.

William hated having to leave like that, but he knew he wouldn't be able to make a dent on Pendrell, not tonight.

/Not ever!/

[Shut up! It's necessary.]

Fox felt rebellious, and Fox had been gaining power lately...

William could beat on Krycek and easily maintain his even keel. Daniel Pendrell... he was far more dangerous and got under William's skin like no one had since Dad.

And emotion was dangerous...

If dying had scared William at all, he would have locked Mulder away years ago. What terrified him was dying alone, with the others going on without him after they bled him dry. It had almost happened once. During the near-integration, the emerging personality had started to devour him alive, cannibalizing him for what it wanted to use, with the intention of jettisoning the rest. The machinations of the Consortium and the stress they'd caused had halted the process, but William had been left weaker and with pieces of himself missing.

And with a terror he'd never felt before and a determination to make sure it never happened again.

William had tried to ride herd on the others more sternly, keep them in their assigned roles, but he hadn't been as strong as he had once been, and Fox and Mulder now united against him at times. Their alliance had prevented him from having any real say in the decision to rescue Krycek, and all he could do was console himself with the sure knowledge that it would all turn out to be a disaster and prove him right. It had taken a while and almost gotten them mutilated and killed in the process, but it had worked, and Mulder wouldn't be trying anything like that again for a long while.

William could never have anticipated this thing with Daniel, never expected that one pick-up, initially like so many of Fox's others, would lead to such a strong emotional bond so quickly. Abetted by Mulder, Fox was using the relationship to change and grow stronger. Even if William managed to put an end to it now, the damage had been done.

He refused to be helpless; he couldn't be. He'd honed and beaten himself into something cold and deadly to protect the babies. The fact that those babies now hacked at him changed nothing. He had a purpose, and he would achieve it even if he had to go against their wishes to do it. For their own good.

/We're too tired to do this. We have to go back./

[I know why you want to go back. No.]

/We have to./

Fox's shove hurt, but William had to be strong. Fox couldn't look out for his own interests here, so big brother would have to save the day again. [No.]

/Mulder, you have to stop this./

//I don't know what's right.//

[We're too fatigued to deal with him the way we should. Fox, he put the moves on Mulder!]

/He saw Mulder hurt and wanted to comfort him. I felt that it was really thoughtful. He was going to back off when Mulder balked anyway./

William sighed at the reminder that he didn't instinctively understand the way Fox thought. The stupid kid's first impulse was still to think that sex solved everything. William also realized that they'd stopped moving and were now standing still and looking dumbstruck on the sidewalk.

[We can discuss this tomorrow when we're more rested.]

/We're discussing it now!/ Fox sounded frightened beneath the petulance. The gulag cell had scared the hell out of him, reminded him of the basement. Now he would want some kind of physical affection to ground and calm him.

It couldn't come from Daniel Pendrell. William fought Fox's next shove and just said, [No.]

//Please don't fight...//

xx

Danny had run for the car as soon as the shock wore off. He'd managed to screw things up with Mulder and William; hell, he probably would have messed Michael up too if his lover had shown. He would never forget the way William had closed his eyes and gone rigid in his embrace, as if gripped by something horrible and incomprehensible. //Yeah, Danny, you know everything. You're an idiot.//

Figuring... they? might have memorized the route, he found them five minutes and ten blocks later. They stood rooted to the ground, shivering and occasionally twitching their head. The head shake looked a bit like a seizure.

Danny rolled down the window and yelled, "Michael!" No effect. "Fox!"

Trembling, Michael? turned to face him. "Danny, I'm so glad you came. Could you take me back? Please?" The accent, posture, and look of shining entreaty all suggested Michael.

Danny could swear he saw a sheen of sweat on Michael's face. "Are you sure?"

"Positive."

Danny squirmed. "That thing with Mulder earlier, I'm so sor—"

"It's okay. Really. I sometimes get the urge to stroke him into a better mood myself.

Danny tried as hard as he could to forget he'd ever heard that last sentence. "Get in." They were complicated and difficult to deal with, but he couldn't just throw them away for it. He was just tired, that was all.

//I just have to try harder and be more careful with them. I love Michael too much to do anything else.//

xx

Fox sighed and snuggled closer to Danny. He had an afghan wrapped around him, his lover's warmth at his back, and a purring cat on either side. He leaned into the hand stroking his hair.

"So, everything's really... okay?" Danny asked softly.

Fox twined his fingers through Morris' fur and buried all the terrors of the last few days. He wouldn't think about the gulag cell or his misjudgment of Alex's character. He wouldn't let the memory leakages from Mulder—who, as usual, had faced the most frightening bits solo—upset him. Repression was good for the soul.

Fox had left Mulder to cry, brood, and self-blame all alone after his first offers of comfort had been rebuffed. Mulder hated to be seen in a moment of weakness and didn't accept help very gracefully. Fox's every attempt to soothe William had failed miserably too, as William had shied away from every overture like an animal who'd been beaten too many times to accept the next hand that came at him.

/William, I'm so sorry. I never realized.../ William refused to answer.

Fox closed his eyes. "We're okay, Danny. We're tough. We're just... just having a really bad night." /We'll survive. We always have before./

THE END

xx

Viridian5@aol.com

RATING: NC-17. If m/m interaction bothers you, you don't know what you're missing.
SPOILERS: None really, though this takes place during the third season sometime after "Apocrypha."
SUMMARY: Pendrell opens himself to extreme possibilities with someone unexpected. Pendrell/"Weaknesses" Fox
FEEDBACK: Oh, yeah. Please do. I would really appreciate it. All feedback can be sent to Viridian5@aol.com
DISCLAIMERS: All things X-Files belong to Chris Carter, Ten Thirteen Productions, and 20th Century Fox. No infringement intended. Suing me would be a waste of time and a really mean thing to do.
NOTES: Te has been begging, pleading, and using subliminal messages in an effort to get me to write a Pendrell slash, but nothing came to mind until I listened to Stabbing Westward's excellent new album, Darkest Days. Stabbing Westward is now using a Korg keyboard, and you can hear the difference. I suddenly had an image of Fox playing a keyboard, a natural thought given his love of Depeche Mode. Then Pendrell showed up and... When I told Te she demanded I write it, especially since she wanted to see how I would get two submissives to hook up. I have to warn you though, my pet subtitle for this one is "The World's Longest Cocktease."
Set in the "Weaknesses" universe sometime after "Weaknesses III: The Price We Pay," but not directly in the story arc. You don't need to be familiar with the "Weaknesses" series to understand this, but it would provide more resonance.

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]