Go to notes and disclaimers


But the Greatest of these is Love
by TinTin


Chapter One

The storm blew in during the wee hours of the morning. Snow had been predicted, but it seemed the weather forecasters missed the mark once again. What was supposed to be a glancing blow of a winter storm providing only a couple of inches in accumulation turned out to be a howling blizzard by dawn. Accumulations were already at six inches, and the storm showed no signs of letting up soon. Huge, fat, wet snowflakes continued to fall reducing visibility to near zero. Alex had intended to go to work as usual, but when he looked outside he knew instantly that he would not be going anywhere for a long time. He decided to watch TV. He usually did not watch much network programming. The programs were sickening and insulting, but today he was bored and watched them anyway out of curiosity. By eleven a.m., he had already been subjected to Judge Judy, Montel, and Oprah. He came to some conclusions very rapidly. First, Judge Judy was a bitch and needed to get laid as soon as possible. Secondly, Montel should quit the talk show and open up his own DNA clinic. Lastly, Oprah should get back on her diet and dump that fucker Dr. Phil. He couldn't believe that he had wasted three hours watching such crap. The only thing he heard that was the least bit enticing was from good old Dr. Phil. Alex thought about what he had heard. Oprah was going on about making each day count and all that shit, then Dr. Phil challenged the audience to pick out the three most important days of their life. The phone rang, distracting Alex from the rest of the program. By the time he finished his phone call Oprah had gone bye-bye. He grabbed the remote and viciously punched power off. He tossed the remote to the coffee table and proceeded to the kitchen to make a fresh pot of coffee. When the coffee was ready, he poured himself a healthy mug full, adding a splash of bourbon. He thought, what the fuck. So, it's only eleven a.m. I'm not going anywhere. He settled into his easy chair and swiveled around so that he could look out at the back yard through the huge bay window. He became mesmerized watching the thick white flakes falling silently. His mind floated back to Dr. Phil's challenge.

"Pick out the three most important days of your life," Alex mused. He began to catalog his life. It wasn't pretty, and he didn't really care to examine his past too closely. However, as he thought about the three most important days of his life, he realized that they all revolved around one person. Fox William Mulder. All three days were very special and life changing. The first was the day he first laid eyes on the beautiful older man. Even though they were diametrically opposed at that time, Alex would never forget that moment. For better or worse, he knew his life would forever be different from that moment on. The next very special day was when Fox told him he was forgiven, and that he loved him. Alex's life did a complete one- eighty on that one. However, there was one more day and it was the most important day of his young life. That day caused a series of events that tested his physical, mental and emotional health like none other. Alex learned a great deal about himself after that day. Remembering still caused deep, heartbreaking pain. He let himself remember anyway.

xx

It was four a.m. as Alex slipped quietly out of bed, being ever so careful not to wake Fox. They had gone to bed early and spent a few hours having some fun before Fox finally went down for the count around midnight. Alex tried to make sure that Fox got at least five hours of sleep each night during the week, more if he seemed extremely agitated, stressed or worn down. Weekends were another matter all together; they were still "up for grabs"... so to speak. Alex had known about Mulder's insomnia problem for years, and he had seen him many times looking like something straight out of Michael Jackson's Thriller video, so he did his level best to be sure that his baby got his much needed rest no matter how much resistance he encountered. He did not want his Fox being tired, and sluggish when he went to work. He was careless enough, and yes, they had many heated discussions about that topic without the added "benefit" of sleep deprivation. Last night he had to resort to his failsafe back up plan: he fucked him into unconsciousness. "Oh, the sacrifices I have to make." He giggled to himself as he moved silently into the chair close to the bed. The room was completely dark except for the glow of the moonlight through the lightweight fabric covering the window. This was his quiet time. He liked to get up before Fox each day and indulge himself; he liked to be able to watch his Fox.

What a vision! Golden brown hair tousled and spiking in every direction, that smooth, silky, tanned skin contrasting to the stark white of the sheet that barely covered him. Oh, and that sleepy, little boy look! Alex's heart did a flip. He had learned early on to live with these "heart flips" because it seemed he had them a hundred times a day around Fox. He was in a perpetual state of fascination, and yes, arousal around his lover. HIS LOVER! He still had a hard time believing this even after almost two years of what he thought of amusedly as domestic bliss. He didn't know how Fox might describe it, but he certainly felt blissful and totally complete.

Fox usually got up around five-thirty and would go for a run. While he was gone, Alex would shower and fix a hearty breakfast so that they could eat together before Fox left for work. He himself did not have to be at work until nine a.m., so he had plenty of time to spend with his baby without having to share the moment with anyone. He enjoyed his morning rituals immensely, even if it cost him an hour or two of sleep. He just did not need as much sleep as most folks. He could go without sleep for a couple of days and not be any worse for wear. He operated optimally with about four hours of sleep each night. This ability came in handy living with his Fox.

He thought about last night. Fox had been so tired, and agitated he insisted that he go to bed early. He encountered some resistance, but Alex didn't plan on-going to sleep right away, he just didn't tell Fox that. His Fox needed some distraction, and he knew just what the doctor ordered. As Fox got into bed pouting, Alex tingled with excitement thinking "Oh God, there goes that pout!" Alex undressed and slid under the covers and turned out the light. He sniggered to himself, and pretended to go to sleep. After a couple of minutes, he felt Fox's hand lightly caress his shoulder and down his arm.

"Fox, go to sleep," Alex said in an exasperated tone.

"I can't believe that you are going to make me go to bed at ten p.m., and go to SLEEP," Fox whined with a crescendo into a very high pitched voice that would do any opera diva proud.

Alex replied, "You need the rest Fox, Stop bitching and at least try. I am having to go to bed at ten p.m. too."

"That is EXACTLY the problem. You really do not expect me to go to sleep when I am NOT sleepy, and with you right next to me practically naked do you?" Fox screeched.

"Great Fox, you've got every dog within a two mile radius howling. Yes. I. Do. Now for the last time GO TO SLEEP!" Alex emphatically replied, more forceful than he really intended. He was really stringing Fox along, enjoying his little game.

"Fuck you. And the horse you rode in on." Fox spat, taking Alex seriously.

Alex sniggered, "Well, if you insist, but who goes first? You or the horse?"

Before Alex knew what hit him, he was blindsided by a pillow knocking him against the wood-slatted headboard. Alex immediately flipped them both over and brought Fox into a bruising kiss, just to shut him up. Alex intended to make long, languorous love to his beautiful Fox. He was going to drag it out until Fox could take no more, and then wear his ass out good. "He'll be passed out before midnight." Alex smiled to himself. He eased the intensity of the kiss into a tender and thorough exploration of that wonderful mouth. This was not just a kiss. It was an intimate expression of Alex's desire to belong to Fox physically and emotionally. His tongue gently caressed and teased; sliding over every inch his tongue would reach. He kept his hold on Fox until they could no longer hold their need for oxygen, and then Alex separated from him and started to slowly make his way down to Fox's neck, leaving his mark before moving around to his ears. Alex felt the primal need to show to everyone that Fox was his. It was not a thing borne of jealousy as it had been in the past. It was a physical reminder to both of them that they were mated for life. He explored each ear with slow precision driving Fox into a frenzy using tiny little licks, and light touches with the tip of his tongue. He licked and danced his tongue covering both shoulders tasting the essence of Fox. The man's skin was salty, as well as sweet, a combination that drove Alex wild. His Fox was a banquet of different tastes. Each one caused magical sparks to ignite Alex's passion further.

As he migrated southward, he planted small butterfly kisses all along that beautiful chest. He gently teased Fox's nipples with sensuous licks and gentle bites tugging the object of his desire into his mouth. He sucked like a newborn finding his first meal. He then switched nipples applying the same torture, while keeping the other nipple sensitive with light, feathery touches alternating with pinches just short of pain. Fox's nipples were one of his erogenous zones, and Alex made sure that each one was stimulated completely. The older man started to moan his approval, but he was getting impatient. He wanted and needed much more. Alex would not be deterred in his determined effort to give Fox his very best. Alex never took lovemaking for granted with Fox. It was never just sex with him. It had always been just sex until Alex finally found his way to Fox. Even though they liked to talk dirty to each other fueling their passion, Alex never fucked Fox. He always gave Fox what he needed, physically as well as emotionally. It was out of Alex's need to bring him the exquisite pleasure he so deserved, and to express his love and devotion to the only person he had ever loved with all his heart and soul.

Alex continued his way down, enjoying the smell of one Fox William Mulder, a scent like no other. He smelled of crisp clean Ivory soap mixed with his own unique musk, and traces of Polo aftershave and cologne that had been placed on his beautiful body earlier that morning. He nipped, and sucked all along the way until he reached Fox's belly button, which was filled with pre-come. Alex feasted on Fox's essence and then proceeded to the source of Fox's discomfort. He pulled back and made eye contact with his lover, and gazed into the kaleidoscope of color that never ceased to astound Alex. Alex continued to stare wantonly, mesmerized by the sight.

Fox broke the spell. "What the fuck are you waiting for?"

"Fox, you really know how to break the mood," Alex said. He then grinned as he placed himself into position, and breathed hot, moist breath onto Fox's straining and engorged cock. He flattened his tongue out to give the pulsing member long, slow, lollipop licks. His efforts caused Fox's cock to leak profusely. Alex had never seen Fox leak so much. This wasn't pre-come. Fox was pouring come without having an orgasm. Alex felt his cock twinge almost painfully as he saw the thick, creamy fluid continuously flow and pool on Fox's belly. After teasing him thoroughly, he swallowed him whole tasting the evidence of Fox's extreme arousal. Alex pulled off and blew on the steel hard column of flesh. The absence of Alex's talented mouth caused Fox to start bucking up seeking contact with anything. Alex continued to lick lower and lower, bathing his balls before engulfing each of them in his hot, hungry mouth.

'Break the mood. I'll show you break the mood!' Fox thought about it. He really thought about it. He had always wondered what would happen if he did it. He mentally calculated the possible outcomes if he did it. He thought about how he would react if Alex did it to him. He thought about Alex's mood at the moment too. One could never be quite certain of the outcome with Alex. He seemed to be in a playful mood tonight. Maybe I won't be placing my life into my own hands, or worse, HIS. He thought, 'what the fuck, he's done nothing but torture me, he deserves it.' He started to giggle softly. Alex was busily working Fox's sac and did not hear the gears grinding in Fox's mind, nor the giggle, a warning of things to come.

He felt it building, building, and building.

And then it happened.

And Oh. My. God!

It was the loudest, nastiest, paint blistering, smelliest, rank, wet fart of his life.

It was awful.

The air had suddenly been fowled by the release of a toxic cloud so bad, that it could almost be seen hanging in the air like fumes from an oil refinery, and smelled like a thousand rotten eggs in the bright noontime sun.

Fox giggled, but stilled instantly when he felt Alex freeze, then heard him cough.

Then gag.

And gag.

Alex looked up with the most frightening, murderous expression, with tears starting to form in his green eyes glowing like they were windows of hell.

Alex didn't say a word, as he slowly moved upward, and locked a laser glare on Fox's eyes that were widening with each second that passed.

Fox gulped. He hadn't seen this expression in a long, long time. Not since... 'OH SHIT!' Fox's mind screamed.

Alex continued to stare, making Fox more afraid.

It was official. He was terrified.

Alex was completely silent, except for the effort he was making to regulate his breathing. Fox didn't know if it was from the fart, or from the anger. Probably both.

I am so fucked.

Alex started to open his mouth, but then closed it. He continued to glare at Fox. He lowered himself so that they were almost nose-to- nose. He knew he had the man completely unsettled. In fact, he could see the real fear in his eyes. It wasn't make believe. He had to admit, he was angry. How could he do such a thing? Never, ever had anyone done this, even accidentally. He knew it was deliberate. Fox's giggling let him know that. He thought for a few seconds about how best to proceed.

Pointing his finger to the hallway, Alex said slowly, "I think you need to visit the little boys room and take care of your problem."

Fox slid away from Alex and off the bed. He hung his head and walked away without looking back. He entered the bathroom and closed the door. "I've ruined everything," he thought as he located the items needed to begin the ritual.

Alex didn't know what to do. He could just haul off and get completely irate. Punishment had it's own reward for both of them. Fox was now having to clean himself out, something he really didn't like to do, especially without Alex's help. He could just get up and ignore him. That always worked out well too. However, in the end, he concluded that it was Fox's sick sense of humor. Alex sighed. Thank God it was still in there.

Fox finished his task, and returned to the bedroom. He stood in the doorway with shoulders slumped and a face full of contrition. He didn't know what to say or do.

Alex stared at him, but said nothing. Fox was standing there looking like he had just run over somebody's dog. Alex lost it. He started out giggling, but soon moved into full-fledged belly laughs. He laughed so hard he had to double over. He was starting to hurt he was laughing so hard. He lost his breath, and tried valiantly to compose himself, but it didn't work. As soon as he caught his breath, he broke out into a fit again. Tears were streaming down his face. Even his face hurt.

Fox stared at him as if he were certifiable. He didn't dare laugh.

As Alex wound down, he wiped his eyes, looked over at Fox, and saw that the man still had a scared look in his eyes. He was trying to suppress the hiccups he now had as he beckoned his lover over and took him into a fierce embrace. Then he whispered into his ear, "Am I going to have to shove a cork up your ass every time I go down on you now? If you ever do that again, I will whoop your ass red, then I won't touch you for a month."

Fox relaxed then, knowing that Alex was really o.k. and he was basically letting him off the hook for his dastardly deed. He knew Alex couldn't keep his hands off him for one day, much less a month. However, he didn't doubt that he would try. Alex was stubborn to a fault and might make it for a week. He didn't doubt that his ass would be quite sore for a few days as well.

"I'm sorry Alex. For some reason, I thought it might be funny. It wasn't."

"Yes, it was. It was also awful. My God, what crawled up inside you and died?" Alex exclaimed, stifling another giggle. "That was a fart to be proud of. To be claimed. Even in Public."

Fox bowed his head and replied, "Thank you. It's good to know that I can always be a source of pride for you."

"Baby, I am always proud of you. I don't care what you do. I am also glad to know that you still have a sense of humor in there. I've been worried that I might not ever be graced with its presence again." Alex said truthfully.

"Alex, would you do something for me, please?"

"Anything."

Fox wrapped his arms around Alex's neck and asked, "Please make love to me?"

Alex groaned, and immediately resumed the activity that he had been thoroughly enjoying before being so crudely interrupted. He made note of the fact that Fox's belly was still covered with sticky come. He smiled and engulfed Fox completely, wrenching a heart- rending groan from the older man. He moved up and down slowly, working his tongue along the sensitive underside of Fox's cock. He pulled off and slowly licked up and down, and then alternately swirling the tip of his tongue around the engorged, purple head eliciting low, guttural moans from his lover. After teasing him unmercifully, he swallowed him whole again, and sucked voraciously. He continued to swallow to massage the sensitive head. He could feel his balls creeping upward, and knew it was now or never. He reluctantly pulled off, and Fox signaled his displeasure by trying to pull him back.

Alex moved out of his reach and Fox loudly expressed his need. Alex returned with lube and gently moved Fox into his favorite position to make love to his Fox. He gently put a pillow under Fox's hips, and raised his long, graceful legs back and let them rest on his shoulders. Making love in this position was logistically difficult for Alex. However, it was his favorite because it gave him the most wonderful and cherished gift of seeing Fox's face and eyes. He loved to watch Fox as they made love. It made his heart sing to know the he was able to see Fox give his heart and soul to him, Alex Krycek. He swiftly lubed his fingers and carefully entered Fox's tight hole. Alex heard a long, delightful sigh. One finger, two, then three each receiving an enthusiastic welcome. He always made sure that Fox was completely ready before proceeding to the next step. Alex withdrew his fingers encountering yet another vocal protest at the loss of sensation, and lubed himself up. He placed the tip of his massive cock at the tight entrance, and pushed gently, but firmly against the resistance. With consistent pressure, he slowly moved passed the tight ring of muscle, stretching Fox completely to the limit.

No matter how many times he had fucked Fox, he was always so tight at first and he had to take great care not to enter too enthusiastically, tearing Fox in the process. He had done that once, and he had never forgiven himself for it. Fox bucked backward signaling his readiness, and Alex slowly sunk in completely to the hilt. It was no small feat for Fox. Taking his length and girth was something not many men could do. He knew. It had to hurt. Alex had never been fucked by anything this size, and he didn't know if he could take it. It made him love Fox even more that he would take him even if it hurt. He let Fox adjust to the invasion. He stayed perfectly still until Fox's breathing evened out and he opened his eyes giving him the silent approval to continue. Alex moved slowly with small, gentle thrusts, pulling out a little bit more each time. Eventually he was pulling out almost completely before burying himself again, still very slowly and gently. He angled upward and started to massage Fox's prostate with each slow stroke, being rewarded with soft sighs of desire and contentment. When the sighs began to turn to whines and whimpers, he increased his pace and strength of the thrusts. Fox began to grunt and writhe with pleasure.

Fox so loved being completely filled by his Alex. It was pure ecstasy to be possessed so completely. It was a feeling of indescribable joy and contentment. Alex was only the second male lover Fox and ever had. The first experience was a complete mistake, and Fox never talked about it. Especially to Alex. He would go ape-shit if he knew. Alex never failed to give him exquisite pleasure, and he taught him how to give it as well. Fox had been reluctant to give in to his desire for another man. It was something he chose not to deal with. He lived in denial over his sexuality for years. It was easy to do because not many opportunities presented themselves from either sex. Fox was also self-conscious about his size since becoming involved with Alex. Although he was well above average in length, Alex was still much larger than he was. He was also insecure about having very little experience, being very aware of the hundreds of lovers in Alex's past. He constantly lived in fear that Alex would tire of him and dump him for somebody else. Fox had learned to hide his insecurities well. He made up for his perceived shortcomings by doing anything Alex wanted. Fox felt like the luckiest man on earth every time Alex touched him. Fox knew his insecurities were silly because when Alex made love to him, the world melted away, and he felt like the center of Alex's universe.

Alex continued to strengthen his thrusts until Fox couldn't take it any more, and started to babble.

"Oh Alex, fuc—fuck fuck m—me. Yes! Oh God Yes!"

"Harder, ppplease! Oh, fuck yea, just like that! Fox started to pant.

Alex complied and started to pound him into the mattress relentlessly. He was quite sure of what he was doing. He knew this was exactly what Fox wanted and needed.

Fox kept repeating breathlessly "Fuckmefuckmefuckme!" He began a counter thrust to match Alex's powerful strokes.

Fox was very vocal, but didn't usually scream. Not usually. That was why Alex was completely startled when Fox shrieked

"OH GOD YES! FUCK ME! FUCK ME HARD!"

Fox felt that familiar tingle deep in his being become like lightning striking his balls, and the ache became unbearable. Oh, how he needed this. The feelings started to overwhelm him. His need became too much to bear. He had to have release.

"Harder Alex plllleassssee harder!! Oh, God I need it so much! So MUCH! Never needed it like this. Make me feel! Punish me! Alex I love you. I love you. No one else. No one. Don't leave me! Please! Never leave me. PLEASE! Almost there. Almost there, alllmosssttt ...

Fox was in a fugue, not realizing that he was vocalizing his innermost thoughts and fears.

xx

Part Two

Although Alex was consumed with pounding Fox's ass, He felt a stab at his heart when he heard what Fox had said. Alex continued to aim every stroke at his prostate and let loose, pistoning in and out as hard and fast as he could go with abandon. Sweat was pouring off his brow, falling on to the tortured, and barely conscious man below him. He felt his engorged balls slapping Fox's. He heard the slap of flesh on flesh. He heard the squishing and sucking noises made by his huge cock fucking Fox's impossibly tight ass. It was almost painful he was slamming so hard. He slammed him for at least forty- five minutes. Alex couldn't keep this pace up for much longer. He was starting to quiver from the intensely charged atmosphere and exhaustion. Alex reached between them and grabbed Fox's cock, which was soaked with come. He stroked in time with his thrusts, and rode them into meltdown. Fox detonated first with an ear splitting howl.

"OH YES! FUUUCCKKK MEEEE! YEEESSSS!

He came violently, shooting ropes of pearly white semen, splattering each man's chest heavily.

Alex felt Fox clamp down so tightly that he could barely move, and with one more vicious thrust, he came with a loud groan, pumping Fox full of his come until it started to run out and drip on the sheets. He then collapsed sweaty and breathless on a twitching and unconscious Fox.

Alex stayed there until his breathing evened out, and regained his thought processes, then pulled out with a loud sucking pop. He smiled, and proceeded to get a warm cloth to clean Fox. This accomplished, he returned to the bathroom to clean himself off. He returned to roll Fox over. It took very little effort as he placed a soft, dry towel between the sleeping man and the very large wet spot.

True to his word, at eleven forty five, Fox was out like a light. Alex was quite pleased with himself as he climbed into bed snuggling close before covering them both with a down comforter. He prayed that the nightmares wouldn't come tonight. Alex's mind snapped back to Fox's babbling during their lovemaking. Fox babbled the usual fuck me's and the oh yes's, but he had no idea what the 'punish me' and 'never leave me' shit was all about. Fox sometimes zoned out during sex, but never like tonight. Alex had felt the tension in the man humming like a high voltage power line. He filed it away as a topic that would definitely be discussed later.

Fox instinctively turned and snuggled his face into Alex's chest. Alex pulled him closer and thought about how lucky he was to be wrapped around this man. He had never known such happiness and fulfillment. Fox was such a responsive lover. When they made love, it seemed as if Fox opened up his heart, soul and spirit under Alex's ministrations. Without a doubt, Fox was the absolute best lover he ever had. Fox hadn't been experienced, but there wasn't anything he wouldn't try or do. He was so adventurous, that Alex sometimes wondered if Fox thought he had something to prove.

Around five thirty Fox woke slowly, spotting his lover through a single, veiled lash.

"Hey."

"Hey yourself."

"How long have you been watching me this time?" Fox slurred.

"Not long enough, my love, never long enough," Alex replied seriously as he stretched his body out gracefully hearing a few satisfying pops.

"It's five thirty. You gonna run today?" Alex asked.

Fox said drowsily, "I don't think I can run, in fact, after last night, I'm not sure I can even walk. You really reamed me good last night, what was that all about?"

"Well, you seemed so adamant when you screeched FUCK YOU, I decided to take you up on your offer. Sorry though, it seems your horse was left hanging. I may be kinky, but even I draw the line at bestiality," Alex chuckled.

"I would say fuck you right now, but you might take me up on that and I don't think my ass can stand it," Fox grumbled.

Alex grinned and said, "After what you did last night, you're lucky you are still breathing. Pun intended there, Foxy."

Fox shot back, "I said I was sorry, and don't call me Foxy."

"Well after your behavior last night, I reserve the right to call you Foxy anytime I damn well please. Care to press the issue. Foxy?"

"Bastard."

Alex laughed and then said seriously, "I'm sorry babe, I didn't mean to go so rough on you. You just kept begging for it, and I can't refuse you anything. Besides, you needed the distraction. A good nights sleep was well worth a sore ass I think."

"Yea, well, tell that to my A.D. when I won't be able to sit still during our morning briefing," Fox said.

"I have a lot of things I want to tell that bastard, and that ONE item would bring me great pleasure to share," Alex growled. "Fox, I am very close to having a 'discussion' with this man. He might find it rather unpleasant too. He's letting you get too deep into this case and profile. It's not good Fox. You keep coming home in terrible shape every night. What is really more unbelievable is that I have let it go on this long. I know you are not a baby, but you are MY baby, and you need to back off. You can't see that Fox, but I can. Please, tell me you will ease up?" Alex begged softly.

"Alex, I appreciate your concern, I love you for it, but you know I have to solve this case quickly before another helpless woman gets murdered. I know we have both seen unspeakable things in our lives, but seeing these elderly women who have been brutally beaten and sexually abused, it's ripping my heart out Alex. I have to stop it. I won't give up until that bastard is caught or better yet, killed. These women come to me in my dreams, Alex, begging me to help them. They are reaching out to me, crying, begging, pleading in pitifully thin, reedy, heartbreaking voices. It is driving me crazy Alex, I can't stop, not right now. Please say you understand. I can't rest until this is over. I have had plenty of nightmares, but this one is really getting to me," replied Fox emotionally, showing Alex the true toll that all of this was taking on him.

Alex lowered himself onto the bed slowly next to Fox and pulled him close. "Baby, it is breaking my heart too. Each time you wake up screaming, shaking, drenched in cold sweat, MY heartbreaks. Most of the time I can soothe you back into sleep, but what you don't know is that after you are safely asleep wrapped around me, I cry for you. It breaks MY heart to know you are in such pain, and I can't do anything but hold you. I wish I could say I understand what you are going through, but I can't. I can only see the way you drag in each night. I see the dark circles under your eyes, I see your clothes hanging on you like a scarecrow, and I see the light fading from your eyes, Fox. I see my reason for living withering away. You can't ask me to stand by and let that happen. I know you have to do your job, and God knows I understand about sacrifices one must make for the good of others. I can't tell you how proud I am of you for that and to be a part of your life. I will support you in anyway I can, you know that. However, I won't stand by and let you self-destruct. I know I can't tell you what to do, I would never try, but would you please promise me that you will ease up. Please Fox," Alex pleaded.

"Alex, I'm sorry, I know you of all people know what it means to sacrifice for others. I did not mean to make you think that you are not being understanding. You are the only person in the world that understands me, and God love you, I know it is hard. No one but you has ever taken the time to try. I sometimes wonder why you keep trying. I promise I will ease back. I'm just waiting for that one clue, that one break, and I will have that son of a bitch. I know I am being obsessive, but you love me anyway don't you?" Fox asked quietly.

"Fox, I love you with every ounce of my being. I love everything about you. I am just concerned. That comes along with the love, ya know."

"Yea I guess so."

Alex pulled his man closer and replied passionately, "What do you mean, you guess so? There is no limits to my love Fox, none."

"Damn, this is getting way too deep, and it is not even six o'clock yet. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to lecture you, I've just been worried. Get up, and take a hot shower and maybe you will feel a bit better. I'll go start breakfast," Alex replied with a bright smile as he lifted off the bed and started to reach for his robe.

Fox smiled back, only it was more of a lecherous grin. "Why don't you join me in that hot shower, I think we have plenty of time to fool around."

"I thought you said you were too sore." Alex growled in low, sexy voice."

"Well, not everything is sore. I'm sure you can find something to play with. I can rise to the occasion." Fox demurely batted his eyelashes and smiled innocently.

Alex replied, "Interesting choice of words there, Fox. I am sure you are up to the task. You have never disappointed me yet."

Fox's eyes hungrily grazed over his lover's sleek, gorgeous body. The scarring that evidenced unimaginable pain and suffering that Alex endured when robbed of his left arm took absolutely nothing away from the younger man's overpowering and breathtaking beauty. Fox, taking note of his obviously aroused state said, "Well what are we waiting for big boy, and I do mean BIG boy," as his eyes traveled to his crotch with an evil and hungry grin.

"I got your boy! Last one in has to do the laundry for a month!" Alex yelled as he darted out of the room.

Fox dove after him, and tackled him to the floor. They wrestled like two kids for a few minutes before Fox jumped up and ran, taking Alex by surprise. Alex tried to catch his elusive Fox, but was not quick enough. Fox had jumped in the shower twisting the faucet on quickly. Alex bounded into the bathroom, and fell into the shower under the icy water and shrieked "SHIT, are you trying to freeze me to death, or trying to keep me from fucking you?"

Fox laughed uncontrollably and replied seductively, "The day when a cold shower is enough to keep you from fucking me, I will go and lay a big wet one on Skinner right in the middle of the bullpen."

Alex's eyes flashed a jealous glint of green while pulling Fox to him possessively, and threatened, "That will be the day he dies, again, and I won't bring him back this time. Then I will bring you home and punish you accordingly."

Fox nonplussed replied, "First of all, you wouldn't kill Skinner, and you know it. Secondly, the punishment part sounds kinda fun."

"Fox, do NOT test me, no one touches you but me, and if you ever do that, you might find that my punishment will be severe enough, that you would think twice before ever attempting anything like that again." Alex cautioned.

"Alex, get a grip. I belong only to you. You know that, and I know that you have a jealous streak a mile wide. Do you really think I would endanger someone's life by doing something like that?" Fox asked.

Alex placed his hand on the shower wall, leaned in closely and warned, "You just remember whom you belong to, and I won't have to make an example out of anyone."

"Deal. Now adjust the water and lets get this raunchy little show on the road," Fox said seductively.

Forty-five minutes later, they emerged from the bathroom having satisfied their lust, and attended to their grooming rituals. Alex put on his robe, and immediately went to start breakfast. Their "interlude" this morning had put him behind schedule. It was now seven, and Fox had to leave by seven fifteen, so they only had time for a quick bagel, and juice. Not what he had planned, but it would have to do. This was usually one meal that Alex made sure Fox ate, and he really didn't like sending him off without something more substantial. At least he would see that he ate something. Fox emerged looking gorgeous as ever in a charcoal colored Armani, an ivory tailored shirt, and a beautiful metallic black tie.

Alex whistled and inquired, "Trying out for 'Men in Black II'?

"Eat me," Fox mumbled as he moved into the kitchen.

"I already have. Hurry up and eat your breakfast G-man. We're running very late due to your outlandish, slutty behavior". Alex said jokingly.

Fox cocked his head to one side and asked in a mock incredulous tone, "Are you calling me a slut?"

"Yea, you're a slut."

"Bitch."

"Whore."

"Tart."

"Trollop."

"Harlot"

"Hussy"

"What did you just call me?" Fox squeaked.

"You heard me." Alex replied with weak a grin.

"I'm a hussy?"

"Well, yea. But you're my hussy," Alex said, knowing when to retreat, as he kissed the older man lightly on the nose.

"Good save, Krycek. Good Save." Fox muttered.

"Alright, hussy, get your ass over here and eat," Alex admonished.

Fox mumbled, "O.k. O.k. bitch."

"I heard that, and yes, I will be your bitch any time you want me to be," Alex replied seductively.

Fox looked at the bagel disapprovingly, then bit into it slowly not really wanting to eat. He continued to eat under Alex's strict supervision. "Since you aren't getting a decent breakfast this morning, you WILL eat a good lunch. Am I understood?" Alex said trying to sound and look intimidating.

"Yes, Dad," Fox said snottily before really thinking.

Alex let it go by. Fox didn't mean anything by it. It was just a fun moment, and he refused to ruin it with his guilt he still felt over passed sins, no matter how many times Fox said he had forgiven him. Fox knew he had hit a nerve, but judging by Alex's reaction, he decided to let it pass as well.

"Time for you to get going. Traffic will be a bitch." Alex said as he helped Fox gather his briefcase and coat.

"Yea, I need to get going, I need to review the Murray case file. I know I am missing something vitally important. It's there, and I just can't see it," Fox said looking worried with his brow drawn down.

Alex lifted Fox's head with his index finger under his chin very softly and replied, "You promised to ease up. Do it." Alex warned once again. "Be careful driving and I'll call you later."

They kissed quickly, and Fox strode out the door. Alex called out to him, "and remember, lay off the coffee!" Without looking back, Fox threw up his arm and gave Alex the finger. Alex giggled, and watched him disappear into the elevator before going back in and shutting the door. He suddenly had a slightly ominous feeling. He didn't know what to make of it. He shook it off and continued his journey into the apartment. He still had at least thirty minutes before he had to get ready for work. He cleaned up the kitchen, and then moved to the bedroom to change the sheets and make the bed.

xx

Mulder arrived at the Hoover at seven forty-five. He boarded the secure elevator and rode up to his floor alone. As he arrived in the bullpen, several agents were already hard at work, and they took no notice of him as he moved toward his desk in the corner of the room. He liked being there because it provided more privacy than being in the middle of the floor. Never a day went by that he did not wish to be back in his basement office free from the curious looks and whispers behind his back. It would be so much easier for him to work in solitude, but he had adjusted to the noise and interruptions and would retreat deep into the recesses of his mind, becoming oblivious to outside stimuli.

Most of the agents left Mulder alone. However, a couple of them who were working on this case had noticed a change in his behavior. He was becoming more spooky than ever. They had actually started to worry about him. He no longer spoke to anyone unless specifically addressed. His weight loss was very noticeable, and the worried, drawn and gaunt expression on his face had become a fixture. The thing that bothered them the most was the look in his eyes. There was a wildly manic, and obsessed glint that was frightening to see. The only time they ever saw a glimmer of light or a trace of a smile was when he would receive certain phone calls. No one could imagine him having a social life, much less a relationship, so they assumed he must be talking to Scully. It was no secret about the baby, and everybody wondered what the future held for them. Scully had been known as Mrs. Spooky for years, so they just assumed that they would hook up eventually. However, it was a little difficult to imagine Scully calling Mulder several times a day. One more thing added to the mystery of Spooky Mulder.

Mulder sat down gingerly feeling the sting from last night's activities. He immediately removed the file on the murder of one Edith Murray from his briefcase and started to pour over it with such attention that he completely lost track of time.

A.D. Follmer walked into the middle of the bullpen and called, "Mulder." He got no response. He then shouted, "MULDER!" Still getting no response, he walked over to his desk. He stooped down to tap on the agent's head, and once again called "Mulder!" This time Mulder startled, turned around, focused his eyes on the intruder, and snapped, "WHAT!"

"You're late for the briefing. Get your head out of the clouds and your ass in gear. Conference room. Now," Follmer replied harshly. Mulder stared daggers at him as he rose from his chair and stalked toward the conference room purposely bumping shoulders with the younger man on his way. He knew the bastard was trying to goad him into a confrontation so he could have an excuse to can him. It had been this way since he had been assigned here, and even though he was technically not on probation, he knew that one more black mark on his record would mean 'see ya, don't let the doorknob hit your ass on the way out'. Therefore, he played the game and ignored the guy as usual. He had mastered this art and it made his life somewhat more bearable, even though he was starting to wear down under the constant pressure. He had started to wonder why he kept putting up with all of this. He guessed it was just stubborn pride, that he had to prove himself. What he had to prove, he had not figured out. He knew that Alex was very perturbed at him for continuing to take this abuse, and he had started to entertain the notion of giving it all up, but it wasn't time yet. He had this case to solve, and he told himself then he would start to seriously consider his future with the Bureau after it was over. He had promised Alex that he would back off and stop pushing himself so hard and he intended to do so: after this case was solved. He took his seat at the conference table as the A.D. came in through the doorway. Follmer slammed the door, a little harder than necessary as if to demonstrate his contempt for being kept waiting to everyone in the room.

"Now that we are all here," he said sarcastically, "Lets get started." "What is the status on the latest murder investigation?" he asked.

As each agent gave their report on the Murray investigation as well as the three previous murders that they believed were committed by the same person, Follmer kept his eyes trained on Mulder. He was back into the ozone again, ferreting out scraps of information that might have been missed and of some value.

Follmer interrupted the agent that was talking, "Mulllderrr." Again, "Mulllllllderrrrrr."

The agent next to him elbowed him and he jerked his head up and snapped again, "What?"

"You know, it would really be nice if you could give us your attention here. You are not the only person working on this case. Each agent's input is valuable. Would you care to share whatever it is that seems to have you so enthralled?" the A.D. said as if he were admonishing a schoolchild.

Mulder launched into his updated and now complete profile. "Well, sir, the unsub is male in his late twenties or early thirties. He is caucasian with short hair and has a strong build. His personal hygiene is meticulous. He probably has undiagnosed OCD. He is a health care worker, most likely a nurse's aid or tech in a long-term geriatric care facility. He possibly drives an older model compact import. He will live within a three to five mile radius of where he works, and probably has lived there most of his life with his mother. He was probably abandoned by his father very early in life, and could possibly have been a surprise and/or unwanted pregnancy. His mother will be in her early to mid seventies and will be an invalid requiring a great deal of care. Most likely the unsub is the only source for that care and he will be their sole means of support. They will most likely live in a run down apartment building close to the area where the crimes are committed. He will have a non- existent social life. He has prior arrests for violent behavior, most likely minor assault cases that were not prosecuted. He is trying to show us that he is in control. He is very angry, as the condition of the victim's bodies suggests, and he wants power over his own life. He feels trapped in his own existence, and is acting out his anger toward his mother and his need for independence from her by exerting his power over the victims. He will have average to above average intelligence. He treats his victims with much care, making sure all their needs are attended to medically and physically prior to the crime. It is during this phase that he starts to act out the aggression that he feels towards his circumstances. After the crime has been committed, he feels remorse and takes the role of caregiver once again. This is suggested due to how the victims are found wrapped securely in blankets that are most likely brand new and can be bought at any dollar discount store. His mental condition might explain the reason we have found little physical evidence. Having OCD, he most likely is a 'checker' or a 'counter', which means he checks behind himself a specific number of times. For example, the unsub most likely checks the locks on his doors a specific number of times. He cannot move on to any other activity without checking the locks three or ever how many times in succession. He will be very meticulous. It is also my opinion that he has just been plain lucky in that we have not been able to derive any other clues due to the environment in which the bodies have been found. He commits the acts of sexual abuse and murder at a location he is very familiar with, and then dumps the bodies within the three to five mile radius when the weather is most likely to eliminate any trace evidence. As with most serial crimes, the unsub will start to decompensate rapidly. In reviewing the case file this morning, I have concluded that there will be at most, two more anonymous victims, and then his mother will be his next victim. When his anger is spent over his mother's death, there will be a hiatus of at least six months to a year. By then he will not be able to contain his built up anger any longer, and will start murdering again, only at an increased pace and the deaths will be much more gruesome. I think we should be focusing on each of the four areas that the victims were found, focus on all long term care facilities in those areas, and then start to look for a run-down or completely abandoned apartment buildings. Most likely this is where he commits the crimes because his need for concealment, and familiarity. Sir, we don't have much time. The next murder will most likely take place tonight, or tomorrow at the latest considering the timetable of the last two murders," Mulder concluded and closed his file.

"That is a very detailed profile, Agent Mulder. Do you mind explaining to us how you came to these conclusions? And just how accurate do you think you are?" Follmer asked.

"Well, sir, you just have to know what to look for; it is what you pay me to do," Mulder shot back with satisfaction. "I can't explain how I arrive at my conclusions, other than how I have just explained the evidence. I am very good at what I do, if you care to look at my record of solved cases. However, I am sure you are aware of my record," Mulder replied with a sarcastic tone. "I will stake my reputation on this profile," Mulder knew instantly what he had just set himself up for.

Follmer laughed, "Yes, Agent Mulder, I am well aware of your reputation ," making sure all agents present heard the condescending tone of his voice.

Mulder shook it off, and went back to reading the case file ignoring the looks he was receiving from the other agents, and especially ignoring the glare from Follmer.

"Agents, please get a copy of Agent Mulder's detailed profile, and study it. It may prove to be of some value," Follmer said, getting in one more barb.

"This meeting is adjourned," Follmer barked and walked out the door.

Agent Donald Shelton sat next to Mulder during the briefing. He appeared to be in his late twenties. He was young, energetic, and looked too wholesome. Mulder couldn't help but remember the first time he saw Alex. Shelton leaned over and asked, "Why do you let him belittle you like that? Especially in front of other agents?"

Mulder replied, "He's just an ass. If I let him see that he is getting a rise out of me, it is just a reward for him. On my worst day, I am smarter than he is on his best. I know it, and so does he. He just likes to make sure I know who possesses the power around here. Doesn't bother me, I just want to do my work."

"Well, I know I couldn't handle his shit as well as you do. Sometimes I feel like telling him to fuck off anyway," the young agent said.

"Don't give him the satisfaction. He's not worth it," Mulder said as he left the conference room to go back to his corner. He had been at his desk about twenty minutes when Follmer approached him and said, "Mulder, since you have such an inside track on this guy, I'm gonna let you field this lead. We got a report from D.C. police that they were patrolling last night in one of the areas you say we should be concentrating on, and noticed a light on in an apartment building scheduled for demolition. They thought it was odd because there was electricity still hooked up, so they went in for a look. They didn't find anything. However, I know how you like to show everybody up and find things that us mere mortals miss, so I thought you might like to check it out," Follmer said almost sneering.

Mulder felt like curtseying and saying "Thank you, sir." He took the report from the man's hand and said nothing. Follmer retreated to his office thinking to himself, "I hope that bastard goes by himself so I can boot him out once and for all."

Mulder thought back to the conversation he had earlier that morning with Alex. He wondered just what would happen if Alex saw or heard what had transpired this morning. He smiled to himself as he imagined Follmer's cold, dead, castrated body hanging naked, swinging in the wind on the flagpole outside the Hoover building for the entire world to see. He could just imagine Alex very slowly and gleefully preparing his prey for his debut. He would never tell Alex about his thoughts, but he really found Alex's protectiveness and possessiveness a turn on, and comforting as well

Mulder shook himself from his thoughts, and got ready to leave. He put on his coat and walked over to Shelton's desk.

"We've got a lead. Why don't you get a car and I will met you downstairs in a minute," Mulder said.

"You want me to go with you?" Shelton asked incredulously.

"Yea, I don't have a permanent partner. I thought you might like to see how old Spooky works," Mulder replied. "This boy reminds me of Alex so much," Mulder thought and smiled. Thinking of Alex always made him smile.

Shelton quickly put on his coat and said, "You got it. See you in the garage." As he was walking out the door, Follmer boomed out, "Shelton. My office. Now."

The young agent looked over at Mulder with questioning eyes. Mulder waved him off. The disappointed look on the man's face made Mulder smile a little. "The kid was really looking forward to working with me. Go figure," Mulder thought.

Mulder proceeded to requisition a car so he could check out the lead.

Follmer smirked as he saw Mulder leave by himself.

xx

Alex finished his tasks, and then went to choose his clothing for the day. He was lucky, he did not have to wear a suit and tie everyday. He could go casual unless he had meetings scheduled with clients or suppliers. Alex chose to go casual today, wearing khakis and a simple black long sleeved dress shirt. Fox had taken him shopping when he started interviewing for jobs, and he was now the proud owner of a wardrobe that consisted of everything he needed from designer tuxedos, and suits, all the way down to essential items needed to make him look like the biggest slut in D. C. Alex decided, as he giggled to himself, to forgo the gold lame` thong for today as he pulled on his Jockey Pouch boxer briefs. He wore these simply because, well, he just needed the extra room and support.

Alex attached his prosthesis methodically and dressed; priding himself at how quickly he could still do so with only one hand. He went to the front closet and retrieved his new leather jacket and briefcase, both of which Fox gave him last Christmas and made his way downstairs to his new Jeep.

Thirty minutes later, he arrived at his office building. Alex now worked for Envision Corporation based out of Falls Church, Virginia. They designed, installed, and maintained security systems. Alex was in charge of project development.

He locked up the Jeep and proceeded across the asphalt parking lot. He entered the building through the heavy plate glass doors. The building was new and modern with lots of glass allowing as much natural light in as possible. It was tastefully decorated, giving it a warm, personal feeling.

As Alex made his way into the lobby, he held out his I.D. badge to the security officer at the reception area, who greeted him pleasantly, "Hi there, Alex. How ya doing this fine morning?"

Alex genuinely smiled and replied to the young blonde haired man, "I am doing great this fine morning, Ben. How goes it with you?"

Ben smiled back brightly and said, "I don't know what I would do if things got any better."

Alex remembered and said, "I guess Sheila said yes, then?"

"Yep! Popped the question last night. We haven't set a date yet, but right now I couldn't be happier!" Ben enthusiastically replied, as he gave Alex his badge back.

"Well congratulations Ben, Sheila's a lucky girl," Alex called out as he made his way to the elevator. As the doors closed, he removed his palm pilot, and made an entry to remind himself to send a gift to the engaged couple. The elevator whisked him upward to the fifth floor. As Alex strolled out of the elevator to his office, he passed his assistant's desk.

"Good morning, Debbie. How are you this morning?" Alex greeted.

"I'm great boss man. How about you?" asked Debbie with a cheerful smile.

"Couldn't be better. What's up for today?" Alex inquired.

"Well, you have a team meeting scheduled at nine thirty. I figured that would last over and hour, so you are free until then, and I kept your schedule open after that. You said you were behind in your paperwork so now you have no excuse not to catch up," Debbie informed him.

"How could you do this to me?" Alex asked in mock horror. "I have been successfully avoiding that paperwork for over a week, and now you go and throw me to the wolves. How could you do this to me?"

"Alex, you know you have to get those requisitions approved, the department budget is due next week and you have barely even glanced at the damn thing. Now be a good little boy and do as I say," Debbie said in a chastising motherly tone.

"O.K., fine. If you're gonna pull the mother routine on me, I guess I'd better start, or I'll be punished." Alex whined.

Raising her eyebrows, Debbie replied, "I think I will leave the punishing up to Fox."

Alex arched his eyebrows and curled his lips into an evil grin and said, "In that case, I just might not work on all that shit after all."

Debbie pointed to his office door and firmly said," Alex, get your ass in there and do something; ANYTHING!"

"Alright, alright. Don't get all huffy," Alex said as he walked into his office. As he sat down, and surveyed his desk and mumbled to himself, "Damn this looks like Fox's desk." With this frightening revelation, he set out to reorganize. He diligently worked at this task until nine-twenty. He vowed not to let this happen again as he started to get his reports and notes ready for the team meeting. Alex had handpicked a team that would oversee each project from beginning to end. He felt the project concept gave better continuity, as well as it kept the team motivated seeing how their work brought together all aspects of the company's operations. He had two people from each phase of operation, which made a total of ten people altogether, not including himself. He made his way to the adjoining conference room and greeted each person individually. He began to discuss the project at hand, and quickly lost himself in the process of bringing his ideas to fruition. Around ten-thirty, Debbie came in and whispered to Alex that there was a problem with one of their suppliers and Alex's presence was needed in Baltimore immediately.

Alex quickly adjourned the meeting and stomped to his office to call Fox. Alex punched in Fox's cell number and waited for him to pick up but he was forwarded to voice mail instead. Alex spoke up, "Hey babe, its ten thirty, and I have to go solve somebody's fuck up in Baltimore. I don't know how long I will be; I'll call you later. Love you Foxy, Bye." He snapped the phone shut and grabbed his briefcase and coat. Walking out the door he paused in front of his desk gazing at the one and only wall adornment in his office. It was an original oil painting of a fox sleeping in the brush with its tail curled around its face. One night he surfed the net for hours looking for the perfect piece and when he saw it he instantly fell in love with it. He was a little shocked at the price tag, but it was well worth the four grand he dropped on it. Fox would have shit two bricks and thrown both of them at him if he knew how much that painting had cost. Every time he looked at the painting, he got all warm inside thinking of his Fox lying in bed oblivious to him watching and being mesmerized by the sheer beauty of the sight. He briskly shook himself and proceeded out the door.

Debbie was on the phone and she stuck her index finger in the air to signal Alex to wait. Alex gave her a frustrated and impatient look. She stuck her tongue out at him, and he laughed thinking that it was something Fox would do. For some reason he couldn't get Fox off his mind today. He whipped out his cell phone, hit speed dial, and waited for Fox to pick up. He still got voice mail, so he hung up thinking he would try again on his way to Baltimore. Debbie finally got off the phone and asked him, "How long do you think you will be?"

"I really don't know. If I have to go and solve this in person, it must be a major fuck up, so I guess it will be a long day. It had better be good too, because I had planned to kidnap Fox and take him out to dinner and a movie. He needs a night out. This bastard in Baltimore had better not be wasting my time," Alex vehemently replied.

"I'll just color you gone for the day boss man. Let me know if you need anything. I have to be out of here by five today. I have a hot date with that new guy in accounting." Debbie informed him.

"Oh please, not some bozo bean counter. You're my secretary, you have a reputation to maintain." Alex kidded.

"Secretary? I am your EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT, and don't you ever forget it!" Debbie hissed.

"O.K., Shit, can I have my head back, I'd like to leave now." Alex laughed then turned serious, "Listen, I can't get Fox on the phone, if he calls, tell him what's going down and that I'll call him as soon as I get a chance."

"Will do. Go. Drive carefully," Debbie admonished and shooed him away.

Alex made his way to his vehicle, and sped away quickly. It would take over an hour to reach his destination, so he decided to make a pit stop at Burger King for a quick bite along the way. He groused to himself that it might be all he would get to eat for quite awhile.

He reached his destination in a little over an hour, and stalked inside the building. He was pissed off at having his day shot to hell.

"Hello, I'm Alex Krycek here to see Mr. Baugher," he stated politely.

The receptionist made a quick call, and a man quickly appeared on the scene.

Alex spotted his prey, and moved in for the kill. The man appeared to be very nervous as he introduced himself. "Mr. Krycek, I am Eric Baugher. It's nice to meet you. Thank you for coming on such short notice. I'm sorry that Mr. McKenzie could not be here, but I hope that you and I can solve this problem quickly enough, and to your satisfaction," the man replied cautiously. Alex sized up the man instantly, and realized this man was the victim of the "pass the buck" game, and his anger subsided somewhat. "Mr. Baugher, believe me, it is in BOTH our interests to solve this matter quickly. I suggest that you get McKenzie's ass here and we get started immediately," Alex replied in a matter of fact tone that left no room for discussion. The nervous man agreed, and they made off quickly to his office to begin attending to the matter at hand. Alex had been there for only forty-five minutes when his cell phone rang. Alex smiled thinking it must be Fox.

"Hellloooo, Alex Krycek here," he answered huskily.

"Krycek, this is Skinner..."

"Skinner, what the fuck do you want? How did you get my cell number?" Alex asked with anger, then confusion. Then it hit him like a ton of bricks. He knew.

"I got your number from your secretary."

"It's Mulder. Krycek... he's been shot."

xx

Chapter Two

Part One

Alex's cell phone rang. He smiled thinking it must be Fox.

"Hellloooo, Alex Krycek here," he answered huskily.

"Krycek this is Skinner..."

"Skinner, what do you want? How did you get my cell number?" Alex asked with confusion. Then it hit him like a ton of bricks. He knew.

"I got your number from your secretary."

"It's Mulder. Krycek... he's been shot."

xx

Alex's blood turned to ice as his heart started to pound erratically. "What?" Alex asked weakly not really believing what he had heard.

"He was shot, Krycek. About two hours ago. He..."

Panic seized Alex. He interrupted with a rapid-fire volley of questions, "Where is he? How did this happen? Why haven't you called me sooner?"

"Slow down. I didn't find out about it until an hour ago," Skinner said with a trace of unbelief and disgust in his voice. Alex heard the double meaning. "Scully told me as soon as she arrived that you needed to be contacted."

"Where is he?" Alex asked in a breathless and pleading voice as he raced out of the office saying nothing to the two men who sat there with stunned expressions.

"He's at George Washington University Trauma Center," Skinner replied as he heard Alex's short bursts of breath as he ran through the crowded parking lot.

"I'm on my way. I'm in Baltimore. Please tell him I am on my way. Please ," Alex gasped as he sprinted to his Jeep.

"Krycek, you need to hurry," Skinner said quietly.

"How bad Skinner?" Alex implored with his voice breaking.

No answer.

"HOW BAD?" Alex screamed, allowing panic to overtake him again after Skinner's pregnant pause.

"Just hurry," Skinner said and hung up.

Alex lost his breath, feeling like he had been punched in the gut. His heart rate climbed even higher causing his chest to tighten and hurt. He was having a full-blown panic attack as he flipped his phone shut and threw it across the Jeep. He cranked the vehicle, threw it into reverse violently as he stomped the gas pedal. The jeep lurched backward as he jerked the wheel to the left causing the vehicle to swerve. He shifted into drive and screeched out of the parking lot. He was still breathing much too hard and chanting, "Sweet Jesus, oh Sweet Jesus, Fox, please hang on. Please, oh please!"

Alex raced onto the interstate and cranked his speed up to ninety. Weaving from lane to lane, he streaked past every car cutting several drivers off. His driving skills garnered him many furious looks, horn honks, and plenty of birds. He kept his eyes more on the dashboard clock than the road. He pounded the clock taking his frustrations out on the device that counted away precious moments he desperately needed to be spending at Fox's side. It was as if the clock was keeping him from his Fox. He gripped the steering wheel tighter causing his knuckles to turn white. He kept repeating his mantra, "Please be o.k. Fox, Please be o.k." When he looked up from the clock once again, he saw dozens of red and blue lights flashing ahead, looking like a morbid Christmas display. Traffic ground to a halt causing Alex to slam on his breaks. He pounded the steering wheel while spewing out an impressive vocabulary of profanities in Russian.

"Ebat'-kopat'! mudack! Sukin syn!" Alex screamed, as he got out of the Jeep and hoisted himself onto the roof to see what was going on. He was too far back to really see what had happened, but he was quite sure it would not be resolved anytime soon. He started to panic again as he jumped to the ground. He didn't know what to do. His mind was in shambles; his mission was to get to Fox immediately. He had no time to waste, Fox could be dying at this very moment. As soon as the words hit his conscious mind, he doubled over and retched, emptying his stomach of all its contents. He couldn't stop gagging, and once again lost his breath. He sank to his knees by the side of the road, and buried his face in his hand as he tried to regulate his respirations.

A woman in the car right behind him jumped out and ran over to him. "Honey, what's wrong? Are you sick? Talk to me sweetie," she cajoled.

He looked over at her with cold, dead eyes, and she knew something horrible had just happened to this man. "Is there someone I can call for you?" she asked.

Alex regained awareness, and stumbled back to the Jeep. He threw it into four-wheel-drive, and started maneuvering out of the tight space. He rolled his window down, and mumbled his thanks to the momentarily stunned woman. He pulled into the median and sped off.

The woman memorized his license plate number. As she retreated to her car, she pulled out her cell phone to dial nine-one-one. She said to herself as she dialed, "Something bad is fixing to happen."

Alex pushed the Jeep to the limit, bouncing all over the place causing his head to strike the roof several times. As he neared the accident site, he saw that a tractor-trailer rig had jack-knifed and another vehicle had run completely under it, shearing the top of the car off completely. Apparently, the tanker was leaking something, and the Haz-Mat team had been activated. He briefly took the scene in as he streaked by. His mind was back on his mission. Get to Fox. "Please be o.k. Please be o.k... ."

It didn't take long before law enforcement caught up to Alex. His unusual escape from the traffic jam did not go unnoticed. He was now cruising at ninety again and showed no indications of slowing down anytime soon. Three police cars began hot pursuit with lights flashing and sirens blaring. They weaved from lane to lane trying to close the gap between them and the black Jeep. Alex had the Jeep speedometer pegged. His four-liter V-6 engine was no match for the large five-liter V-8 engines in the police cruisers. They caught up to him quickly and tried to signal him to pull over. Alex paid no attention to what was going on behind him. His only focus was to get to the hospital as fast as possible. The officers pulled a textbook maneuver by surrounding the vehicle on all three sides. The first car was positioned in front of the Jeep, the other on his left side, and the last one in the rear. Once they were in position, the lead car started to slow down, forcing Alex to do the same. The other vehicles prevented him from escaping, so he had no choice but to pull over onto the shoulder of the road and stop.

Once the chase was ended, each officer exited their cars with their weapons drawn. The police officer in front assumed the lead role by giving Alex the order to place his hands in the roof of the car, palms up. As Alex did so, ever so slowly, the officer from the left side advanced carefully, keeping his gun intently trained on Alex. The officer in the rear made sure the videotape was running correctly and focused. He slowly made his way up to the driver's side and assumed the leadership role.

"Exit the vehicle, slowly. Then put your hands on top of your head with your fingers interlocked," the older officer commanded.

Alex knew he was in trouble now, because he could not comply with that request. He opened the door very carefully, placed his right hand on his head, and held his prosthesis as high as possible. As he crawled out of the Jeep, he immediately lay on the ground face down, knowing that they would not listen to him enough to understand about his left arm. They were screaming instructions to him, but he already knew the drill. Two of the men kept their weapons at ready, while the third approached Alex to cuff him. As the young deputy roughly pulled Alex's arms back, he immediately understood Alex's predicament.

The youngest deputy didn't know how to proceed. With a puzzled look on his face, he looked up and yelled, "Hey Sheriff, the man's got a fake left arm. How am I gonna cuff him?"

"No shit? I guess just cuff him like normal and leave him on the ground," the overweight, older man replied.

The deputy did as instructed and then started to search Alex for concealed weapons. Alex breathed an uneasy sigh of relief. His gun was in a secret compartment in the Jeep. He had it specially built for this purpose.

The third officer began searching the Jeep, but found nothing but the cell phone Alex had thrown across the passenger's seat and his registration and insurance papers in the glove box. The interior of the vehicle was pristine.

The sheriff approached Alex, bent down and asked, "Boy, where's your I.D.?"

"In my right rear pocket," Alex mumbled trying to keep the gravel and trash off his lips. Any other time he would have taken issue with being called a boy, but now was not the time to piss anybody off. Yet. He started to tremble from the frustration of being detained, but there was nothing he could do at the moment.

The sheriff retrieved the wallet and began to rifle through its contents very thoroughly. He found Alex's drivers license, took the registration papers from the deputy and went back to his car to have the information run through the database. He punched the information into the MDT and waited for a response.

The report came back in less than a minute. Alex's records were spotless, thanks to the efforts of the Gunmen. The hefty man hoisted his ample frame out of the car and walked over to where Alex lay.

He ordered the deputies to pick Alex up. Alex was grateful; his right arm had started to cramp, and his stump had been abraded during the cuffing process. He leaned against the Jeep and breathed deeply to get his emotions under control.

"Son, your record is clean as a whistle. You raised a few eyebrows when you decided to make a new lane in the median. Care to tell me why you're in such an all fired hurry?" the Sheriff queried.

Alex took another deep breath and began, "I just found out that my lover has been shot and is in critical condition. I was told to hurry. No disrespect sir, but I don't have time for this shit. We've already wasted too much time as it is, please let me go," Alex begged.

The older man's eyebrows rose almost imperceptibly at the word lover, and then said, "I can't just let you go. As it stands now, we've got you nailed for reckless endangerment as well as eluding."

Alex was beginning to get pissed. "Would you please make one phone call?" Alex asked as he fixed patented laser glare on the man.

"Mr. Krycek, I don't think you realize the seriousness of the situation..."

Alex interrupted, "I don't think you realize the seriousness of the situation! I'm through fucking around here. My lover could be dying! I have to get there. Make the call, dammit!"

Giving in, the sheriff asked, "All right, who do you want me to call?"

"Assistant Director Walter Skinner of the F.B.I. He should be at George Washington Trauma Center now. He's the one who called me," Alex stated.

The sheriff walked back to his car, and radioed the request to dispatch. He debated the issue in his mind. He didn't think the kid was lying. However, unless there was some way to be able to explain letting him go, he couldn't do so.

The situation was becoming unbearable for Alex. First, he was upset about being detained. Being pissed followed quickly thereafter. Now he was beginning to come unglued. He started to soak up the details of his environment and plan his escape. He began working his prosthesis out of the cuffs when he saw the sheriff approach him.

"O.K., son. We called A.D. Skinner, and he verified everything you said. I apologize for holding you up, but I hope you can understand why," the man said as he motioned for the deputy nearest Alex to uncuff him.

The sheriff continued, "I am sending Deputy Wolfe here to escort you to George Washington. I really hope everything works out. It saddens us all when one of our own is gunned down. Now, get on out of here, and follow Deputy Wolfe. And be careful."

Alex shook the sheriff's hand, and immediately jumped back into the jeep. Alex heard the deputy's car roar to life, and readied himself to resume his journey.

They entered the heavy stream of traffic, and sped away. Alex's bumper was glued to the police cruiser as they raced down the highway.

xx

Part two

They made excellent time, thanks to the deputy's superior driving skills. As they approached the hospital, Alex careened into the trauma center parking area and leaped out. He sprinted toward the entrance and almost ran into the automatic doors before they could open. The security guard stationed at the entrance tried to stop Alex, but he was not quick enough for the younger man. Alex bounded into the lobby frantically searching for Scully or Skinner. He saw nothing familiar, and then spied the triage desk and ran over.

He slid to a stop and hurriedly asked, "Do you have any information on a Fox Mulder?"

She smiled and replied, "Let me check and see if he is here. Your name?"

"Alex Krycek."

"Are you a relative?" she asked as she tapped on her keyboard calling up the necessary information.

"He's my lov- we are very close," Alex stammered, being caught off guard by the question. He didn't want to get into this with someone so insignificant at this point.

"I can't give out patient information unless you are a relative, or have permission from the patient themselves." She replied in her standard 'you should know this' voice.

"Listen," Alex leaned in and made it obvious that he was carefully examining her nametag, "You WILL locate him. And you will do it NOW!" Alex said forcefully, readying for battle with anyone who was stupid enough to keep him from Fox.

At that moment, Skinner rounded the corner and heard the exchange. He told the nurse that everything was o.k. and that he would take care of the situation.

"Krycek, upstairs," Skinner said in a low, menacing tone.

"He's He's not..." Alex stammered as his knees grew weak.

"No, not that I think you care one way or the other. He was taken into surgery very quickly. He's been in there for almost two hours. Scully is in the waiting room on the seventh floor. She can tell you more about his condition," Skinner replied trying to keep his anger from overwhelming him. The presence of this man made his blood boil. They rode the elevator up to the seventh floor without speaking a work. The only sound was Skinner's heavy breathing. Skinner glared at the younger man, and controlled the urge to kill him right then. Alex paid him no attention whatsoever. The elevator chimed, they stepped off and walked quickly down the hall to find Scully.

They entered the waiting room and found Scully sitting on a large, overstuffed sofa.

"How is he, Scully? Please tell me what happened. Why didn't you call me sooner? Why?" Alex said pleading more than demanding.

Scully stood and embraced the worried man and began, "Alex, calm down. I wasn't called until he hit the trauma unit and I had to get a sitter for William. I couldn't bring him here. As soon as I got here, I asked Skinner to locate you. Please sit down. We have some things to talk about," Scully said in a soft but firm voice.

Alex complied and sat down slowly as he pitifully asked, "Tell me, Scully. I wan- need the truth."

"All right, Alex. Muld- Fox is in extremely critical condition. I don't know the full story. I haven't had a chance to look at any test results, but I did talk very briefly to the trauma specialist that treated Fox. He was shot in the lower right abdomen causing extensive damage to his colon. There was a great deal of hemorrhaging, so they think his spleen is injured as well. There could be more damage, but they won't know until they get inside and look. He has lost a great deal of blood and required massive transfusions. He..."

Alex's face drained of color as he interrupted, "How much blood loss?"

"From what I gathered, it was over two liters," Scully quietly replied.

Alex wilted visibly, understanding the gravity of what she said. He started to fade out, but Scully grasped his hands tighter.

Scully felt her heart ache as she saw the pained, glazed stare in his eyes.

She felt Alex go completely limp as if the life force had left his body. She continued to hold his hand firmly to try to keep him grounded in reality, but it wasn't working. She leaned over, pulled him into another tight embrace, and gently stroked his short, dark hair. She felt him start to tremble. His tremors grew to uncontrollable quaking. She felt hot wetness spread over her shoulder, but there was no sound from him. She knew he had slipped into shock, and she called Skinner over and asked him to get a blanket.

Skinner looked at her like she had just sprouted horns, but slipped away as Scully continued to hold the silent, shaking man. When Skinner returned, she draped the blanket over Alex's shoulders. Gently pushing him back, she wrapped him tightly. She removed a Kleenex from the table beside them and tenderly wiped the tears from his cheeks. She then wiped his nose and smiled as she thought about how she did this for William. She pulled back and looked into Alex's face that was devoid of color. His eyes were still vacant. She knew she had to reach into the fog and try to bring him back from wherever his mind had retreated.

She caressed his face, and gently called his name, "Alex, are you all right? Come on back, Alex." She called more forcefully, "Alex! You have to pull yourself together. We have to be strong for Fox. We have more to discuss."

Alex started to hear her, though she sounded far away. He began to focus his eyes, but it was like looking through a hazy, gray tunnel. A distorted view of Scully from across the room started to materialize.

Scully kneaded his shoulders hard, and continued to call his name forcefully. Finally, around the fourth time she called, he started to float back to the surface of consciousness. His pupils started to constrict back to normal, and he saw Scully right in front of him. She was smiling at him.

"Why is she smiling at me?" he thought.

"Alex, are you O.K.?" Scully asked quietly.

The lump in his throat hurt, and he tried to clear it. He whispered, "Yea, I'm fine."

She knew he was lying, but at least he was talking. "Alex, I know this is difficult to absorb all at once. I am still not sure I comprehend everything that is happening. It will be hours before we know anything else. You need to eat something, and then rest."

Before she could say another word, Alex cut her off, "I am not going anywhere . I want to be here the minute Fox comes out of the operating room."

"Alex, it will be hours before he comes out of surgery. You are still in shock, and I don't have enough energy to worry about Fox, William, and you right now," Scully replied wearily.

"Scully, thank you for your concern, but realize my only concern right now is Fox," Alex stated flatly.

"All right, Alex. I'll get Skinner to go get you something to eat. You will eat SOMETHING, and then you will park your ass over on this sofa and relax. Don't even bother to fight me, Alex. I know how you feel. I've been here before, too. You have to relax, or I promise you, I WILL sedate you. Don't think I won't," Scully challenged.

Alex glowered at her, but said nothing.

Scully faced Skinner and instructed, "Bring him some orange juice and a pack of crackers, please."

"He can get his own damn 'juice and crackers', Skinner said sarcastically. "And, he can go back to hell as far as I am concerned.

Scully sighed and said, "Alex, I'll be right back."

She went to the nearest nurse's station, procured the desired items, and made her way back to the waiting room quickly before there was bloodshed.

She gave the items to Alex with strict instructions to eat. She then focused her blazing eyes on Skinner and said, "We need to talk. Now." She motioned him out of the room and followed him down the hall until Skinner blew up.

He spun around and erupted, "Scully, just what the fuck is going on? I cannot believe that Mulder would become involved with that bastard after all he has done. I want to rip that son of a bitch's throat out!" Skinner spat. "How long have they been shacked up?"

"I'm not sure how it all started, or exactly when. They became involved after Alex turned states evidence. Something happened when Mulder disappeared during those first few months after the hearings. When he came back, Alex was with him. Mulder came to me a couple of weeks after he returned and told me about his involvement with Alex, but he gave me no details about where, or how, or why they became involved. He asked me to just accept it until he could explain it all. I was as astounded as you are, but I had to accept it no matter how much of a mistake I thought it was," Scully informed the furious man.

"How in God's name could he do such a thing! How could you allow it? That man is nothing but an amoral, heartless, cold-blooded killer!" Skinner almost shouted.

"Lower your voice! All of what you said was true. Alex is not the same person he was three years ago. At first, I felt the same as you. I had so much hate in my heart for that man. However, that man, essentially, does not exist anymore. The Alex Krycek in that waiting room is not the same man we hated for many years. I have seen enough to know that without any shadow of doubt. As trite as it may sound, Alex is truly Mulder's soul mate. He has filled the void in Mulder's heart and soul that has existed for most of Mulder's life," Scully confidently replied.

"Don't give me that bullshit! Krycek is no good. Never has been. Never will be. I hate that man, and I will see to it that he is out of our lives for good," Skinner said venomously.

"You will do no such thing! Skinner, so help me God, if you cause him heartache of any kind I will cause you so much trouble you will rue the day you met me! Don't think I don't know about you murdering Alex. Yes, it was murder! Two shots in the arm rendered the man helpless, and therefore no threat to anyone's safety. A shot in the head was nothing but an execution! I've seen the tape, Skinner! You thought it was gone for good, didn't you? That tape is all the proof I need to get your ass buried with investigations. I don't think you want your past dealings gone over with a fine tooth comb, do you?"

"Scully calm down."

"I don't want to fucking 'calm down'! You opened this can of worms, and you are going to listen to what I have to say. Tell me, Skinner. Just how much contact have you had with Mulder in the last year? Huh? Tell me?" Scully inquired relentlessly.

Skinner made no reply, as his eyes lowered to the floor.

"Feeling guilty, Skinner? When was the last time you saw him?" Scully repeated hotly.

"I've seen him a couple of times in the hall the last month," Skinner replied sheepishly.

"Did you not notice anything about him? How much weight he's lost? The total look of defeat on his face?" Well, let me clue you in on a few things. Mulder has been in terrible shape for months. You know how deep Mulder gets into his profiles! Since his abduction, he has had long bouts of depression. Alex forces him to eat. He forces him to get what little sleep he gets. Mulder has been on the edge of a breakdown for months! Alex has been the only thing holding him together. He is totally committed to Mulder's well being. He has begged Mulder to back off, but you know as well as I do, that he can't do that without being forced. Alex is fiercely protective of Mulder. He has been frighteningly close to taking matters into his own hands and dealing with A.D. Follmer himself. Now, I am sure he is going to feel extreme guilt for not doing so. If Mulder does not make it, Follmer should fear for his life. I'm not so certain that he shouldn't right now. Alex loves Mulder completely. You and I should be so lucky to have someone like that in our lives. Don't fuck it up Skinner. I love Mulder too much to let you take away the love and joy of his life," Scully said as she glowered at the taller man.

"Scully, I won't promise you anything. I don't owe you a damn thing!"

"You are right about that. But, I will promise you that if you cause either of them one second of grief, you will regret it. We have all been through too much. Seen too much. After all you have witnessed, I find it difficult to believe that you cannot open your mind to the extreme possibility that has afforded Alex and Mulder to share something so rare and precious. Leave them alone Skinner," Scully snarled as she walked away.

As she reached the doorway to the waiting room, she paused to take a couple of deep breaths to calm down. When she felt somewhat composed, she entered and made her way over to the pacing man.

"Alex, I am going down to the E.R. to find Dr. Markham and discuss Fox's test results, she informed him gently. She didn't want to leave him alone, but she needed more information before she would tell him everything.

"I'm fine, Scully. Stop worrying about me," Alex stated unconvincingly.

Scully saw the haunted look in his eyes, and her heart broke just a little bit more. She hadn't shared all she knew. She decided to wait until talking with the trauma attending before telling Alex. Maybe it wasn't as bad as they thought. The only thing she could do for Alex would be to provide him with truthful answers, and be there to help pick up the pieces afterward. She hugged Alex once more, admonished him to eat, and then left the room.

Skinner saw her leave and went back to confront Alex.

Alex caught a glimpse of the man, but said nothing.

Skinner smirked at him and said, "Krycek, I should kill you again , right where you stand. It was so satisfying to see that look on your face as that bullet tore through your sick, twisted little brain. It was a Kodak moment."

"Yea, it sure was. I've seen the tape. It truly was a Kodak moment," Alex replied with a sneer. "Too bad you don't have a few stills to frame. However, I have the full, uncut version of the whole affair. Don't forget that. Listen Skinner; I don't need your shit right now. The only thing I care about is Fox. If you want to try to hurt me, give it your best shot. But, you leave Fox out of it. If he... if h-he makes it through this, he will need me. You will only hurt him by stirring up shit that has been laid to rest by everyone else. Deal with your demons like the rest of us. Go away and leave me and Fox the fuck alone!" Alex said with his voice starting to crack. He turned his back on the older man before tears started to fall once again.

Skinner sighed disgustedly and stalked out of the room. He couldn't stay in the same room with that lying, no good bastard. The only reason he told that sheriff to let the fucker go was so he could watch his every move and make plans accordingly. Krycek was going down, and there wouldn't be anyone to save him this time. He decided to go back to his office and see how the investigation of Mulder's shooting was progressing.

Normally, Alex would be furious after a Skinhead encounter. However, his fury quickly melted back to worry and anguish. He resumed his pacing making a noticeable trail in the carpeting. He was still reeling from all the things Scully had told him earlier. She said there was more they had to discuss. "Dear God, what else?" Alex said out loud looking upward as tears began to flow. He sank to his knees, dropped his forehead to the floor, and cried. What began as sobs soon became wails of untold grief.

xx

Scully stepped off the elevator and walked quickly to the admission desk in the emergency room. She scanned the area looking for Dr. Markham. He was nowhere to be seen. She got the attention of the first person she came to.

"Excuse me, I am looking for Dr. Markham." Scully said.

"Family members aren't allowed in the trauma area. Go back to the waiting area, and someone will speak to you shortly," the nurse replied without looking up.

"No, you don't understand. My name is Dr. Dana Scully and I need to talk to him about a patient he treated here several hours ago. He treated a F.B.I. agent with a GSW to the abdomen," Scully stated.

"Oh, yes. I just came on duty when he was flown in. I'll tell Dr. Markham you are here. You may wait in the doctors lounge if you like," the nurse said as she motioned to the door.

"Thank you. I'll wait for him there," Scully replied.

Scully pushed the door open and walked into the dimly lit area. A young man dressed in scrubs lightly splattered with blood was sacked out on the sofa. She tiptoed in and looked for the coffee maker. "God, I need some caffeine," she thought as she spied the machine. She helped herself to a cup, and then sat down in an overstuffed chair. She didn't realize how tired she was until she sank down. She sat her coffee cup down on the nearby table, and then massaged her temples in a circular motion with her forefingers. She closed her eyes trying to ease the tension headache that was fast approaching. She snapped to attention and rose from the chair when she heard the door creak open. Dr. Markham bounded into the room and started to speak until he saw Scully motion to the young man sleeping. He smiled and walked silently over to Scully and in a quiet voice said, "That's Dan. He can sleep through anything, and often does. What can I do for you?"

"Thank you for seeing me. I would like to know whatever you can tell me about Agent Mulder's condition. We spoke briefly as you were taking him up to surgery. I would like to see his chart and test results," Scully replied.

"I understand your need to know about a fellow agent, but I really can't divulge any more information without Agent Mulder's approval, unless of course, it is required for investigative purposes. The only reason I said anything before, was because I felt that you should be aware of the severity of the situation," the man said as he went to get a cup of coffee for himself.

"I'm sorry, I haven't introduced myself. My name is Dr. Dana Scully. I am Agent Mulder's former partner, as well as the closest thing he has to a personal physician. He is also a very close friend. Now that we have been properly introduced, I would like to see every scrap of information you have on Agent Mulder," she said icily.

"Forgive me, I was not aware of your relationship to Agent Mulder. Please follow me to my work area and I will fill you in as best I can," the doctor replied as he opened the door for Scully to exit the lounge.

They walked across the hall and entered what appeared to be an ordinary office cubicle. It consisted of four large, moveable panels. The surfaces were covered with a light gray fabric that helped to insulate from outside sounds.

"Not much of an office, huh?" he laughed as he pulled up a chair for Scully. He sat down at his desk and rustled through a mountain of papers.

Scully sort of giggled and the man looked at her.

"What? Oh, my desk. It is a mess. I really need to clean it up, but who has time," he said and smiled at her.

She smiled and said, "It just reminds me of Mulder's desk. It was-is always a disaster area. But he has a method to his madness and knows exactly where everything is."

"I wish I could say the same," the younger man replied.

"Dr. Scully, I'm not sure how much you know, so I will try to give you a detailed account of our assessments while in the trauma bay. We shipped him out quickly due to the severity of his injuries, so I can't tell you anything beyond our treatment here," the doctor said as he handed Scully the test results, X-rays, and CT films.

Scully accepted the charts and said, "Please call me Dana. I'm sorry for being so rude earlier.

"Nothing to forgive, Dana, please call me Steve."

He waited for a few moments to allow her time to peruse the results. She studied them closely, then held the X-rays up to the light and scanned over them. After drawing some very disturbing conclusions of her own, she gave the other doctor her attention.

He began, "Agent Mulder was transported here by Med-Flight. Upon arrival, we assessed him a five on GCS. He suffered a GSW to the right lower quadrant of his abdomen. He had been intubated in the field, but still had a pulse-ox of 85 when he arrived. We put him on a respirator immediately. His B.P. was dangerously low due to blood loss, and we began volume control and transfusions immediately. Due to the massive blood loss, he received over eight pints of blood during the short time he was down here. I am certain it was a spleen injury. After a peritoneal lavage was performed, it was determined that there was massive damage to his colon and evidence of fecal matter in the abdominal cavity. While a team worked on his primary life threatening injuries, we continued assessment. His pupils were uneven, and dilated. He had a positive Babinsky and was posturing. There was no response to any stimuli, so we could not do an adequate neurological assessment. With the trajectory of the bullet, there is the great possibility of a spinal cord injury. Like I said, we couldn't do a complete neurological exam, so I cannot say for sure. We did a quick head CT and it showed subdural hematomas in the occipital and right parietal lobes. There was deviation due to the largeness of the bleeds, and after seeing that, we scooped and ran for surgery. As a doctor, I know you are aware of the severity of these injuries. Dana, you need to prepare yourself. In my opinion, these injuries are grave and I don't see much hope that he will survive surgery. If he does, it will be a miracle and I would be surprised if he lived twenty-four hours even then," Dr. Markham concluded quietly.

Scully listened intently trying desperately to retain her clinical detachment to the situation, but she was rapidly losing her battle. Tears welled in her cloudy blue eyes, and started to fall silently down her pale cheeks. She took a deep breath and continued her quest for answers.

"Dr. Markh-Steve, I haven't had the opportunity to discuss Agent Mulder's situation with any of the other agents. Do you have any idea what caused his injuries?" Scully inquired as she steeled herself for more painful information.

"All I know is what the flight nurse-paramedics told me, and it wasn't much. Obviously, he was shot, by whom I do not know. I do not know the caliber of the bullet. From what I gathered, he was not found for quite awhile after he was injured, thus explaining his greatly deteriorated condition upon arrival here. I was told that he had fallen down a complete flight of steps, and most likely, that was how the head injury occurred because there was no indication of penetrating trauma. Beyond that, I know nothing else," Steve said as he reached out to hold Dana's hands. He gently took her hands and lightly rubbed the tops of them back and forth with his thumbs.

When Scully looked up and saw the genuine concern and sadness in the handsome man's hazel eyes, she came undone. She started to sob quietly. As her sobs became hitching gasps, Steve enfolded her into his massive arms gently and rocked her back and forth. Scully accepted his comfort. She wanted nothing to do with Skinner; he had pissed her off royally. And Alex. He was barely holding on himself. She was going to have to carry him through this, and at this moment, she had no idea how she could do it. She removed herself from him arms, and accepted the tissue he offered her and dabbed under her nose quietly.

"I am so sorry for my outburst, please forgive me," Scully whispered.

Steve replied seriously, "There is nothing to forgive. I am so sorry for your pain. I wish I could do more for you, and Agent Mulder."

Scully rose from her chair, and offered her hand and was drawn into a tight hug. She was somewhat startled, but she quickly relaxed in the embrace.

"Hugs are very important in life, Dana. Sometimes they are the best thing one person can do for another. Please forgive me; I am not trying to be fresh or forward. You needed a hug, and as a physician, I am duty-bound to help those in need," Steve said as he pulled away and smiled.

"Thank you for helping Agent Mulder, and for sharing this information," she said with her voice starting to quiver. "And thank you for the hug. You have no idea just how much I needed it," she said with sincerity. "I need to get back up to the seventh-floor. Mulder's lov- partner is waiting there, and he is not dealing with things very well," Scully said as she retreated from the small cubicle.

"I am off duty in a few hours. How about I come up and see how things are progressing? The handsome young man pulled his necklace out from under his scrub top, fingered the cross pendant and said, "Have faith, Dana. I see the cross you are wearing, so I know you believe in miracles and the power of God. Even though things look grim from a scientific, medical point of view, anything can happen. Prayer is a very powerful thing. I'll join you in the chapel and pray with you if you have no objections?" Steve asked with conviction.

"I think I would like that very much," Scully said haltingly as she turned and walked away quickly before she broke into tears again.

Steve watched her hasty get away, and smiled sadly. He felt a connection with this woman, and he could almost feel the excruciating pain emanating from her heart and soul. As he tried to figure out this connection, he was summoned back to the trauma bay.

xx

Part Three

Scully returned to the waiting room and found Alex curled into a ball on the floor. She could tell right away that he had been crying because she heard the violent hiccups wrack his body. She went to him immediately and sank to her knees in front of him.

"Alex, are you o.k."

No answer, just a blank look and a harsh hiccup.

She shook him and called out again, "Alex, come on, get up and let's go sit on the sofa." She helped him stand, and he moved mechanically over to the sofa. He sat down stiffly and looked at Scully as she took a seat close to him.

She turned so that she faced him and began to speak quietly, "Alex, I really think you should try to rest. It is. ."

The distraught man looked at her with eyes full of misery. "Scully, I can't rest! I had a weird feeling this morning that something wasn't right. Fox was on my mind all morning. I knew something wasn't right. I should have listened to my gut instinct. I should have made him stay home! If I had, my Fox wouldn't be in there fighting for his life right now!" Alex cried out.

"Alex, don't start blaming yourself for this! You have been the only thing holding Fox together for weeks, no make that months! This situation is going to be difficult enough to get through without you making it worse by being on some guilt trip!" Scully said forcefully.

"I should have..."

"Stop, Alex. We aren't going to play the blame game. It was not your fault! We have to concentrate on the here and now. And right now, we have to be strong to get Fox through this."

Alex dropped his head for a few seconds, then lifted his chin stoically, and said, "Scully, you have to promise something right now. No matter what, you have to tell me the truth about everything concerning Fox and his condition from this point on. Don't try to spare me any hurt, it will only be worse if you keep things from me. Please promise me?" Alex asked pointedly.

"I will always tell you the truth, Alex. That is all I can do for you. We are both going to have to deal with some stark realities concerning Fox from now on," Scully said as her heart began to ache knowing what she had to do next.

Alex began softly, "You said earlier, there was more to discuss. What haven't you told me, Scully?"

Scully took a deep breath and exhaled with a shudder. Alex noticed her reaction and tried to prepare himself for what was to come.

"I deliberately left out something earlier because I wanted to verify it before I said anything. Realize that I was not trying to keep anything from you, I just wanted the information to be correct," Scully said as she looked into Alex's eyes and grasped his hand." She continued, "Alex, along with the gunshot injuries, Fox suffered severe head injuries when he fell down a flight of stairs." She paused when she heard Alex's sharp intake of breath. She forged on, "He has subdural hematomas in the occipital, and right parietal lobes of his brain. According to the initial head CT, the bleeds are significant.

"Oh dear God," Alex murmured as his vision started to blur.

"I know this is a lot to take in, Alex, but there is one more thing we have to prepare ourselves for," Scully said.

"Dear Jesus, there's MORE?" Alex exclaimed.

Scully tried to calm the man before she continued, "There is a possibility that the bullet may have caused a spinal cord injury as well."

The room began to swirl and darken around Alex. Nausea overwhelmed him as he lurched for a wastebasket. On his hands and knees, he dry heaved over and over. Scully went to get a wet cloth for the overwrought man. When she returned, she pressed the cool cloth to his forehead before wiping the drooling saliva from his lips and chin. When the violent contractions faded, she led him back to the sofa and forced him down into a prone position. She grabbed the blanket and covered him completely, tucking him in like a small child.

"Alex, that is all I know about his condition. I don't want to cause you any more pain," but you have to know that given the severity of these injuries, Mulder's chances of survival are almost non- existent," she whispered, as tears coursed down her face. She caught her breath and continued; "Mulder has proven us wrong time and time again. I think he delights in it." She smiled sadly at the man beneath her. "I believe in miracles, Alex. I know you don't share my faith, but faith is all we have right now. My faith is in God, who is more powerful than any force in this universe. I'm sure you think that is strange, given all we have seen and experienced. I have to believe, or what is the point of it all? If you don't share my faith in God, have faith in Fox to be as strong, pigheaded and unrelenting in this situation like all the others. Don't give up faith," Scully said tearfully.

Alex looked up at her with his face glistening with fat tears and pulled her down into a fierce embrace. They clung together and cried, sharing their pain and anguish. When Scully's knees began to ache, she gently untangled herself, sat on the edge of the sofa and dried her eyes. Alex reached for a tissue on the end table and she did the same. Simultaneously, they reached to wipe each other's nose. They realized what they were doing and laughed.

"Thank you Scully. Not just for keeping your promise, but for being here for me. I don't think I can get through this without you," Alex said shakily.

"You don't have to. I'm here for you, just like I know your are for me," Scully replied sincerely.

"How long has he been in surgery?" Alex asked.

"Well, it's now almost five, so around five hours."

"Where did Skinhead go?" Alex inquired with distaste.

She replied, "I have no idea, and don't really care. Don't let him upset you. He's just feeling guilty, as well he should."

Alex didn't reply. They settled into a tension filled silence interrupted only by the incessant intercom instructing people to go in every direction.

Around midnight, they heard someone's sneakers squeaking on the heavily waxed tile floor in the corridor. They looked up and saw someone in sweat soaked scrubs approaching them. He appeared to be middle-aged, around forty-five or fifty. His face was rugged and weary. He reached up to remove his surgeons cap as he asked, "Are you the family of Fox Mulder?"

They both instinctually replied, "Yes."

He introduced himself, "My name is Dr. Jerry Haynes. I am the chief of neurosurgery here."

Alex immediately asked, "How is he?"

"He made it through surgery, but he is still in very critical condition. He is very lucky to still be alive," the doctor said wearily.

Alex and Scully both released a breath they didn't realize they were holding.

The older man gave Scully a puzzled look and said, "You look very familiar. Have we met?"

"Yes, sir, we have. I did a neurological rotation with you several years ago. Forgive me, I just recognized you. I'm Dana Scully, Dr. Dana Scully. It is nice to see you again, sir," Scully said as she offered her hand.

He shook her hand briskly, and replied, "Yes, I remember you now. Forgive me as well. It has been a long day. Well, Dr. Scully, it is a pleasure to see you. I wish it were under better circumstances."

"Me too, sir. How is he?" Scully inquired.

"Let's sit down. We have a great deal to discuss," Dr. Haynes suggested.

Alex and Scully sat on the edge of the sofa as the other man pulled up the other chair and dropped his tall, slender frame into it heavily.

The doctor began, "I'm not sure what you know, so I will cover everything as best I can. Agent Mulder was flown in with a GSW to the lower right quadrant of the abdomen. He suffered severe head injuries due to a fall down a long flight of stairs, as I understand it. We stabilized him as best we could in the trauma bay, and then moved into surgery very quickly. There was a great deal of blood loss, so we had to operate immediately. There was extensive damage to the colon, necessitating a colostomy. They can do a takedown in a couple of weeks, provided that peritonitis doesn't set in. Fecal matter did spill into the abdominal cavity. They lavaged several times, but the chance for infection is still great. He has been placed on high- powered broad-spectrum antibiotics to combat infection. There was some small damage to his liver, but nothing major. They patched that up pretty quickly. They did have to perform a splenectomy. There was just no saving it. The blood loss was tremendous. While the other surgeons worked on the abdominal injuries, the neurological team worked on the head injuries. He suffered subdural hematomas on the right parietal, and occipital lobes of the brain. Normally, we would wait to treat head injuries until the patient is stable, but the intercranial pressure soared up to thirty. Normal pressure is from zero to ten. We had to reduce the pressure immediately to prevent further brain injury from the profuse swelling. We removed the clots to reduce the pressure and swelling and placed an intercranial pressure monitor inside to help us keep track of progress. The neurosurgery was largely a success. As far as how much damage, and how it will present, I don't know. I could give you possible scenarios, but it is too premature to be guessing. Now, on to the spinal injury..."

At hearing this, Alex became visibly upset. Scully started to stroke his chestnut hair and gently rub his neck to try to soothe him through the rest of this horrible nightmare.

The doctor noticed that the young man was becoming upset, and he too reached over and took Alex's hands into his own. He made no indication that he was holding one prosthetic hand. He asked, "Young man, what is your name?"

"Alex. Alex Krycek."

"Alex, I know all this is very difficult to hear. Are you all right?" the older man asked.

Alex whispered, "Yes. Please continue." Alex locked eyes with the man showing him that it was all right to do so.

"The bullet did lodge against the spine. Edema was present, and we observed some small bone fragments at T12, and L-1. Agent Mulder's condition was rapidly de-stabilizing, so further investigation was not possible. Immediate surgery on spinal cord injuries is usually not indicated. It is usually best to let the swelling go down before attempting to de-stabilize the region with any invasive procedure. Agent Mulder is very lucky that we discovered this when we did. He was kept completely immobilized during surgery, and will continue to be until such time that surgery can safely be attempted.

The older man sighed and continued, "Treatment will consist of complete immobilization. We will keep him in a drug-induced coma with Pentobarbital. We have him on Pavulon as a paralytic to reduce any spontaneous movement. This will aid us in keeping his back better stabilized. We have started him on Sygen to combat swelling in the spinal cord. Mannitol is being used for maintaining his ICP, and he will be on a fentanyl drip for pain. There are inherent risks with all of these drug therapies, and I do not have time to elaborate right now. I promise I will fill you in on everything once we have him stabilized in ICU. He should be there by now. I am on call tonight, so I will be close by if anything else develops."

He paused a moment. "Alex, Dana, I don't think I have to tell you the severity of this situation. At this point, his chances of survival are slim," the older man said as he looked at them with eyes full of wisdom and sadness. "We really will not know anything for at least twenty-four to forty-eight hours. Agent Mulder has been extremely lucky to survive to this point. That gives me some hope for now. Let it give you hope as well. I am so sorry we can't do more, but I assure you that everything known to man is being employed to aid him," the doctor said as he hoisted himself out of the chair and prepared to leave.

"May we see him?" Alex asked faintly.

"Right now, he is just getting settled in. Things will be pretty busy around him for the next hour or so. After that, someone will come get you, and let you stay with him for a little while. As I understand it, he is in ICU four," the doctor concluded. He gave them both a sympathetic pat on the shoulder and departed.

Scully turned to Alex and suggested, "Since we know he's o.k. for right now, why don't we go downstairs and get some coffee. It's going to be a long night."

"I want to stay as close to Fox as possible," Alex balked.

"Alex, please? Go with me to get some coffee. I need to check on William also," Scully said as she stood and reached for her purse.

"O.K., but right there and right back," Alex said as he rose from the sofa and walked out the door with her.

They made their way to the cafeteria and ordered two large coffees. As Alex paid for them, Scully ran to the bathroom. When she returned, she said, "Alex sit down for a minute while I call and check on William."

Alex gave her a dirty look and said, "I have to get back."

"Just for a minute, Alex. My cell phone doesn't have a signal on the seventh floor. Wait for me, please?" Scully almost whined.

As he sat down, Scully went outside and sat in the courtyard to make her call. Alex watched as she sat down. He realized that she had not taken her coffee, so he got up to take it to her. As he was making his way to the exit, the intercom blared 'DR. HAYNES TO ICU FOUR, STAT! DR. JERRY HAYNES, TO ICU FOUR, STAT!'

Coffee cups hit the floor as Alex sprinted to the exit to get Scully. "No no no nononono NO!" he screamed as he hit the door.

"SCULLY!" he screamed and then ran for the elevator.

Scully was right behind him. She didn't hear the stat call, but she knew something had happened.

"What happened, Alex?" she asked breathlessly as they both skidded to a stop before the bank of elevators.

Alex chanted, "Come on, come on, come on!" He was searching for the stairwell when the elevator chimed, and opened its doors. They stepped in quickly and Alex punched 'seven' viciously. He kept hitting the button thinking that it would make the damn thing go faster.

Scully let him take his frustrations out on the button, until he started to slam his fist into the panel.

"Stop it Alex! Damage that panel, and we will be stuck in this thing!" Scully almost screamed as she grabbed for Alex's arm.

Alex started to shake, as he hugged himself. Scully asked again, "What the hell is wrong, Alex?"

The younger man looked at her with blood red eyes, and simply said, "Fox."

The doors opened, and he streaked down the hall and through the double doors that separated the intensive care unit from the rest of the floor. Scully was right behind him and collided into his back when he skidded to a stop. He froze in front of a glass patio-like door that had a big red numeral 'four' on it. Scully knew immediately what was going on, and tried to steer Alex away from the scene. She couldn't budge him.

He stared in horror as doctors and nurses surrounded Fox's bed shouting orders at each other. He heard 'CLEAR!' and saw everyone move back from the bed slightly. 'AGAIN, CLEAR!' This time he saw Fox's unnaturally pale body seize from the electrical current.

Alex's world faded to black as he hit the floor.

xx

tin_tin2e@hotmail.com

Title: But the Greatest of These is Love
Chapter One
Author: TinTin
Email: tin_tin2e@hotmail.com
Archive: O.K. to Archive on SlashingMulder, Ditb, and RatB. Any others, please ask first.
Pairing: M/K
Category: Romance, drama
Rating: N/C 17 m/m sex, language
Warnings: m/m sex, language, lots of angst, h/c, schmoop, WIP
Notes: Series
Beta Thanks: To Jo B., thank you for your hard work, inspiration, and most of all, for your encouragement to begin writing. To Maggie and Siper, thank you for taking your valuable time to read my work and provide CONSTRUCTIVE criticism with advice on how to proceed.
Disclaimer: Alex, Fox, Scully, Skinner, Follmer, William all belong to C.C. and FOX. Everyone else belongs to me, and they are figments of my distorted imagination. Any similarities to any individual alive or dead are purely coincidental. No copyright infringement is intended.
Feedback: Please!

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]