Go to notes and disclaimers


Time to Dream
by Tarlan


It was just his luck to find himself in the Bible belt of Midwest America. The hotel room was clean, quaint even, with its chintz curtains and patchwork quilt spread across the single bed. A copy of the bible was prominently displayed on the bedside cabinet rather than being tucked away in the top drawer where it could be ignored. A small hand-written note lay on top listing passages of interest to the lonely traveller.

Mulder sighed, closed the curtains, shucked his jacket, kicked off his shoes, loosened his tie and stretched out his long frame on the bed. He picked up the remote control and pointed it towards the dark, silent box in the corner of the room. With a small press of his finger it flared into life casting an eerie green glow about the darkened room. Mulder frowned and pressed a few more buttons. Static. Nothing but static. OK... he'd already consoled himself with the fact that there would be no porn channel but where was CNN? Where was the Paramount Comedy Channel?

Mulder pushed himself to a seated position and grabbed the leatherette folder from the top of the cabinet. He flicked through a few pages of meaningless introduction and welcome until he found the one that dealt with the TV... and gasped in shock.

He'd already figured out that his 'hosts' were god-fearing Christians by the way they greeted him like he was the original prodigal son returned, but this was the last straw... the straw that broke the camel's back. He sneered at his own remembrance of the parables taught in Bible Study and took a deep breath. So... his hosts didn't want to corrupt their hotel... or their guests... with bawdy comedies, violent films and reality, but the TV had to be there for some reason nonetheless.

The next paragraph brought a sinking feeling that left his heart somewhere near his knees. Channel 6 had been set up with a VCR link that would play... all day long... Walt Disney classics. He bit his bottom lip to stifle the curse that threatened to pollute the air... and flicked to Channel 6. Anything being better than nothing.

The last ten minutes of Dumbo flowed by and then the room was bathed, momentarily, in a pale blue light while the next film loaded. Mulder found his eyelids becoming heavy as the long journey finally took its toll and he drifted off to the sound, and sight, of Walt Disney's Aladdin........

He was flying. The breeze buffeted him and, in the distance, he could see the majestic mountains, their tops cloaked in a layer of fluffy white cloud. He gazed down. Below him passed deep dry valleys, stretches of yellow sand then, out of nowhere, fields of ripening maize. A swarm of bees lifted off, encircled him as if investigating this unknown aviator before flying back to their green island within the sea of sand. Still he flew onward until he was passing across thirty-foot dunes of shifting sand that undulated across the desert floor in wave upon wave.

Mulder's dream self looked away from the ground and focused on himself. He was not flying per se... he was lying on his stomach on a beautiful woven carpet, his hands clutching the edge where the tassels fluttered, whipped by the wind. His hair was just a little longer. It streamed behind him, swept back from his face. White, silky material billowed from his arms and torso. He gazed down the length of his own body to the red sash and the black pants. Ornate ankle boots made of the softest suede with delicately pointed tips completed the look.

The scene shifted, the sky darkening as the sun set leaving him bathed in star and moonlight. The desert floor disappeared and ahead he could see a small mountain overshadowed by a much larger brother. Slowly the carpet descended, floating down on the soft warm air currents until it had settled on the surprisingly flat and stone-free ground.

Mulder stood up and stepped forward towards the rock face. As he drew closer his eyes perceived a soft light shining around the edges of a large slab. He grinned, hazel eyes glowing. His mouth opening to say the magic words: Open Sesame.

"Who goes there?"

The deep rumbling voice filled his mind and his ears, echoing about the rocks. Mulder looked up to see a familiar, hated face carved in granite. The stone-cast features dwarfed the Agent, eyes glowing with malice at being pulled away from his slumber. The giant carved and seamed face crumpled in dismay when it recognised the man that stood before him and gave a deep sigh, plumes of grey smoke rushing forward to surround Mulder in a dense fog that gradually lifted away.

"Reveal the truth and you may pass."

Mulder frowned. What truth? How could he reveal something he was still seeking? Words spoken long ago in an old warehouse reverberated around his head.

//The truth... the truth. There's no truth. These men... they make it up as they go along.//

"There is no truth."

The seamed face stared at Mulder malevolently and then, with a final plume of acrid, grey smoke, it seemed to flow back into the rock face. Fox Mulder smiled as the slab gently rolled aside with just the barest whisper revealing a softly lit tunnel that stretched backwards into the rock face. He stepped inside and turned in time to watch the slab roll back into place with a slight rumble of rock on rock.

The tunnel was dank. Light reflected with an eerie green glow off the moss that grew on the moist walls. In places the walls seemed almost transparent and he thought he could make out the shapes of people embedded in the rock, their bodies still as statues, the only movement a whitish shape squirming in their abdomens. He moved passed the intangible figures cautiously, his mind recognising what it saw but refusing to dwell on it.

The light grew stronger as he moved along the tunnel until he found himself standing in front of a heavy damask curtain. He drew the curtain aside and stepped into a chamber. More of the heavy white damask draped from the walls like spiders' webs, concealing the rocky surface. He took another step forward and felt his foot sink into the rich, deep pile of a Persian carpet that stretched from one side of the chamber to the other. Mulder found his attention captured by an ornate dais at the very centre of the room. Through the light, gauzy material he could make out the naked form of a dark-haired man.

Despite the distance from the tunnel to the dais, another step brought him to the side of the platform and he swept aside the curtain so he could gaze at the partially hidden occupant. His breath caught in his throat.

The man lay on his back with one arm curled above his head, framing the mahogany hair that fanned out across the silken pillow. A wide golden armband encircled the biceps; its intricate filigree of mysterious symbols enhancing the ivory skin. The almost hairless chest rose and fell with each gentle breath that stirred from the beautiful lips.

Mulder sank down beside the recumbent figure, his eyes travelling the length of the strong torso, across the dark forest of hair with its dormant sex and down the long, finely muscled legs to the perfect feet. He knew this body well... had seen it many times in many places yet never had it been displayed so innocently... so provocatively.

His eyes, darkened by a wave of desire, climbed back up to caress the soft features; the slightly pointed ears, the high arch of eyebrow, the delicate nose with its slight upturn and that beautiful, luscious mouth with its deep cupids bow. Dark lashes fanned the pale cheeks, fluttering slowly as the sleeper dreamed.

Mulder pulled back in shock. This was Alexei 'Ratboy' Krycek... traitor, murderer, liar... He looked down at the angelic features in bewilderment and found forest green eyes watching him.

"I didn't kill your father... I was there but I didn't kill him."

Mulder's dream self frowned. His memory of that terrible night was filled with strange images conjured up by the LSD in his water supply; his father's pained yet resigned expression; the promise of the truth that was broken with the sound of a body falling heavily in the nearby bathroom. There was no reason to connect Alex Krycek with his father's death... no fingerprints, no footprints, no witnesses... no evidence at all, circumstantial or otherwise, yet he knew Krycek had been there. How? Why? Had he seen something after all? Perhaps he'd glimpsed the familiar figure fleeing the scene. Perhaps his father and his killer had spoken while he drifted and out of a drugged stupor... had he recognised the husky voice?... Was Lee Harvey Oswald working alone?

Mulder's mouth dropped open in surprise. Where had that thought come from? And yet... Why had he never considered that there might have been two or more 'killers'? The well-dressed man Scully met at the funeral had inferred that Consortium assassinations involved two operatives who left the gun behind. If so, then why did they change their MO? And why did Alex Krycek show up at his apartment block alone? Had he been at his father's house alone? Had there been a second gunman? The frown faded away. Was it really so hard to believe that Alex Krycek was telling the truth for once. Could he have been at this father's house with some reason other than murder in mind? Perhaps if Cardinal had lived... perhaps Cardinal had....

"I didn't kill your father."

The soft, husky voice interrupted his thoughts but he had already reached this conclusion and had tried to discount it. Now it was impossible to ignore.

"I know. I've always known but I had to hate you. I needed to hate you."

Alex Krycek moved and Mulder found his eyes glancing down to the cruelly truncated limb. His long fingers reached out to caress the scarred surface. He looked up as the back of a hand stroked along his cheek.

"Is this why I needed to hate you? Because I wanted... want you?"

A smile, tentative at first, broadened across the angelic face. Then the form before him began to fade away, drifting into shadow until only a trace of the bright eyes and smile remained.

"Alex?"

Mulder reached out towards the ethereal figure as it disappeared. The scene around him shimmered until he found himself lying on his back, the wind ruffling his hair, watching white clouds pass quickly against the pale blue sky of a new dawn until they became too thick to see through......

Mulder blinked. The ceiling above his head was white. In the background he could hear the murmur of the TV as Aladdin played out. He reached out and grasped the edges of his strange dream before they could fade away completely, sensing a feeling of peace descend upon him for the first time in years. The Psychologist in him recognised the importance of dreams and this one had revealed two possible truths that he had been hiding from himself.

First, was Alex Krycek's involvement in the Consortium so nefarious? Was there more to the man than just a lackey following orders? Did he follow some hidden agenda that was merely a darker reflection of his own crusade? His dream said 'Yes'.

Second was the reason for this refusal to see Krycek as anything other than an evil, manipulating bastard just a ruse to avoid another truth? Was the hatred and anger he targeted at Alexei Krycek just a substitute for the real emotions... a cloak to hide the intense feelings of desire had coursed through his mind and body whenever he thought of Alex? Again, his dream said 'Yes'.

Mulder took a deep, shaky breath. This enforced time away from the X-Files had cast a dark cloud over his life, putting his quest on hold but perhaps the old adage was right... every cloud had a silver lining. Perhaps these series of unwanted assignments, checking out the purchase of raw materials that could be made into explosives, had given his brain a little down-time... time to drag out and examine all those thoughts and memories that he had conveniently buried rather than face head on.

Until he could reclaim the X-Files there would be plenty of time to examine these thoughts and hidden dreams, and maybe, if he were fortunate, those dreams would be of Alex.

xx

TarlanX@aol.com

15th June 1999
TarlanX@aol.com
SPOILER WARNING: Anasazi, Fight The Future.
RATING: R
CONTENT WARNING: Some mild swearing. Implied m/m. If this isn't your scene then don't bother reading on. You have been warned.
SUMMARY: Set after Fight The Future but before SR819.
COMMENTS: This is my failed attempt at Spike's 500 word dream challenge but I hope I will be forgiven nonetheless. Thanks, as always, to Aqualegia for all the encouragement, advice and beta reading—and for the million and one other things she does to make my life run smoother. Any and all comments gratefully received as long as they're constructive. Flames will be met with derision so don't bother.
DISCLAIMER: Fox Mulder, Alex Krycek and all other X-Files egulars belong to Chris Carter, 1013 Productions, and FOX Television. No copyright infringement intended. Any characters you haven't heard of before, are copyrighted to me.

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]