Go to notes and disclaimers

Cover art by Susan


Do what you have to do
by Susan


I can feel him tensing beneath me. His entire body constricts, muscles pulling tighter, as the morning creeps closer and closer. It's so subtle, though. I can only feel it because I know his body. And I know these mornings. When I decide how to treat him, whether to kiss him or hit him. Whether I leave him first or I stay, watching him dress and leave. It's always my call. I have the power. It's the only way I can deal with it, this madness.

But today is different. Today I will tell him that this was the last time, that he needs to leave me alone. I can't be with him. It's too much, too dangerous. Scully's already suspicious, and I couldn't deal with her disappointment if she found out. I couldn't deal with him being taken away by her in handcuffs. Better to end it now. If I don't do it now I never will.

But as I watch his face, still shadowed in the gray light sifting through the blinds, I know that I don't know how to let him go. And all my power I thought I had is gone, leaving me with no conviction. The idea of not having those eyes reflecting back this shared need, lust, tears at me. It makes me want to hold him, and keep him. But I can't. He wouldn't let me. Fuck, nobody would let me keep him.

And little memories of last night filter through my mind. His rage, his intense anger, at who knows what, making him seek me out, for comfort, solace, the kind only I can give him. The steel in his eyes when I turned to see him standing in my living room, having quietly broken in through a window. The words he rumbled out to me, cursing the world, confessing sins, incoherent words only he could understand. Stalking around my apartment, working off steam, before kneeling before me on the floor next to my couch, looking at me and challenging me. I looked back at him and said, "You do what you have to do."

And here I am, holding him like I have so many other mornings. Except today I know it will be the last. And as I lie here, I plan what I will say to him—that I've had enough, that he's served his purpose. That I'm tired of him. Just anything to push him away and keep him away. But even as I think these things I know that even if he were to believe them, they wouldn't be enough to make him stay away. He'd still come back. Our fate has led us to this, just as fate has led us through every other bit of our lives, giving me Scully, giving him this fugitive life.

I feel guilty, so fucking guilty, for taking this away from him, this peace. Then I weigh it against the guilt I'd feel if this hurt him, or got him killed. But every time I see him, that guilt is washed away by my need to be with him. Then, when these mornings pass, I dive into work, trying to run away from this craving, this consuming desire. This fire that drives us to find each other in the night and hold on tight until the first light of dawn breaks through the window.

He's still asleep, and I wish that I could just leave him here, go to work and forget that it has to stop, that these nights need to end. But is that need greater than our need for each other? I tell myself no, but I know deep within me that my life without him will be desperate, grasping. Like it was before he walked into my life that day so many years ago, when that young boy, adoring and inexperienced, or so I thought, held out his hand to me. Even then I lost myself in his eyes. I never gave in to my feelings until they broke through the rage, when I kissed him with the force of a punch. Felt him kiss back.

I don't know how to let him go. I'm sure the words will come, but will the emotion behind them, when the emotion is not there? If I told him the truth, he'd dismiss it, as he has before when I've said how stupid this all is. He'd tell me that he can take care of himself, as long as keep my mouth shut to Scully. Then he'd offer himself to me, and I would not be able to refuse. I have never refused him, but I must this morning. I have to lie to him.

I will just tell him that I must do what I have to do. That it is not in my control, that this yearning will fade, that it has already started to dissipate. He must leave me alone. And the greatest lie of them all, that I have no need for him anymore. That I don't want him anymore.

He's stirring slightly, lashes fluttering against those smooth cheeks, marred only by a small scratch under his right eye. He used to have a light dusting of freckles across his nose, but they're gone, faded with the lack of sunlight, his life now lived in the darkness. And I miss them—of all the times to fucking miss them—but I can't help but to mourn them. Mourn what I'm losing today. To never lie in bed with this man again, to never feel his hands touch me, to never hear him call my name when I make him come. Never again.

And each little waking up movement pushes me closer and closer to what I must do. As he blinks open sleepy eyes and turns to me, I tell myself that I'm just doing what I have to do. Before I can slip up and kiss him, I take a deep breath and put on my mask, steeling my eyes and heart.

xx

Part Three of the Sarah Series: Ice

mulkry@hotmail.com

Title: Do what you have to do
Author: Susan
Fandom: XF
Pairing: M/K
Spoilers: None
Rating: R
Summary: Mulder POV, of course thinking of dear Alex, 2/3
Disclaimer: Of course, these sweeties aren't mine. Chris Carter and 1013 own 'em.
P.S.: These little snips haven't officially been beta'd, but several people have read the series and liked it, so I thought I'd post it here. BTW, if you haven't realized already, these are Sarah McLachlan songs. Listen to them...they're beautiful and really capture what I was trying to say. I can't compete with Sarah...she's the queen!
Feedback (please!): mulkry@hotmail.com

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]