Go to notes and disclaimers


Treasure
by


Part I: Mine

Marfa went to the hospital in Vladivostok.

I was thirteen and big. Man of the house until she let Him in. They should have let me go.

Knowing my duty, my place, it was hell to pace some neighbor lady's overstuffed front room. Making me useless when I'd done so much. Him all over with his girly eyes and no chin.

Three days. Three days of nothing and overhot rooms. Cabbage cooked mushy and not a word.

Mother-fucker. Could Marfa call after pushing nine pounds out her cunt?

Third day. Fucker calls. Come home. From our apartment he calls.

I ran.

Mama tired and sweaty-eyed. Little smile for her man of the house. Hands me a bundle- heavy, hot.

Wide murky eyes blink up at me. Bundle squirms.

"Your brother, Kolyai."

Mine.

Part II: Sweet

Everyone is a worker in the mighty Soviet economy.

Even Marfa.

At least He's not coming around so much. Didn't take long for your little bundle to drive him away. Not so cute when they're all the night crying, are they, stud?

Your little bundle. Squirmy and fat, but placid in your arms. Looks you right in the eye he does, puffball cheeks working as he sucks at your pinkie finger. A little squawk as you pop it free to push his cap down tighter. Wind today.

He likes your hip. The little jostle as you're walking keeps him quiet, tiny fingers fisting the edge of your ear. Not far now.

Over a rise at the edge of town and you're into the forest. Old auntie coming out coos at your armful- how he's grown. You're feeding him right. You are. Every morsel from your hand. You shift the bundle before she can pinch his cheek.

Cold snap then a fast thaw did the trick. You push into the bramble, into the rasp of tangled arms. Your jacket draped keeps the thorns off skin not yet so thick. Fat as babies they hang there, black jewels. The air is rich with bees.

This bramble's hollow in the middle- you found it years ago. And your twill jacket's bed enough on the long grass. He sits where you put him, hand that was on your ear stuffed in his mouth. Tasting.

You fill the basket for a while, your little one blinking around. Bumblebees drone by and he tracks them. Growing up, your little man. He gurgles when you settle at his side.

"First blackberries, svetik moy." The round face goes solemn. It's a moment after all. Stringing beads on the thread of his life. The idea pleases you. He's made you a poet, this little grub.

The tiny seeds could be a problem. So mash the sweet pulp between tongue and palate. Not so hard to strain it between your lips.

You kiss the first taste into his pursed up little mouth and watch those baby eyes grow wide. Lip smack. Another. And then the squalling that means more, more, more. You kiss the baby quiet with mouthfuls until you're both streaked red and purple.

And then he blinks again. Burps. And you laugh and laugh, his messy messy moonface mirroring yours.

Part III: A Man

He can't sleep.

It's so late. He can tell, even with the bright lights from the courtyard stabbing in the front room window.

And the noises from the other room have stopped.

Kolyai traces a crack across the ceiling, down the wall in the corner. Follows the other one from where wall meets ceiling down to where it widens at the badly set-in window. Made a draft for the baby till Kolyai stuffed it with shredded newspaper and covered it with sealing tape. Mama bitches it's an ugly patch. She wants pretty, let pretty-eyes Him do it.

Still no sound from in there.

If the baby fusses, He'll do the noble thing and come check on them. Kolyai squirms on his blanket-heaped sofa of a bed. Unrolls like that cartoon of a mummy in 'Krokodil.' Out of the cocoon, the air stabs and Kolyai's skin puckers. Should have brought the baby in with him- warmer for both.

Except Mama has company.

Kolyai pads, quiet, across the front room to the cradle. His baby's getting big for it- they need a proper crib, or even a little daybed. A wooden one, reddish and shiny, with white coverlets, like he saw when they went with Baba to that museum.

Oh tut. One chubby arm's out of the blankets, and cold to the touch. "Gotta stay tucked in, golubchick." If it's the barest whisper Kolyai won't be heard. Or maybe it's better if Mama hears? She'll say Kolyai's got the baby and maybe won't let Him get up.

It's a risk. And not worth it.

Those wide baby eyes are still closed. Kolyai takes a careful finger and pushes one lid up, gently. It's always a surprise to find the big round pupil and grey green iris staring back, unseeing. Always a surprise that his baby stays sleeping. Always a surprise the eye's not blue like his.

'Shh, shhh, shhh," he soothes as his little one fusses at the cold coming in. The diaper's damp, but not stinky. That's something. Kisses to the baby hand that clutches at his nose, and Kolyai scoops his little bundle up.

Bounce, bounce, bounce as he carries his Sashulya to the table and spreads out a newspaper. Don't keep up the rhythm and his baby cries. Kolyai learned that the hard way.

Off with the little sweater and the knit shirt under it. It's cold, yeah, but sometimes his little one plays fountain. A hunt for clean baby clothes in the dark they can do without. Unpin the diaper, careful of fat little legs that want to kick. Kolyai thanks God he learned to keep his pigeon from fussing.

All quiet. Maybe He's gone to sleep. Maybe they're okay for tonight.

Kolyai slips the wet diaper from under the fat little zhopa. His Sasha wants to fuss at the sudden cold, but Kolyai can quiet him. He wipes the baby down with one hand, soothes with the other, opening the wrinkled wink of pale skin, like a closed eyelid. The head of his baby's huyechek peeps out, red as a bitten fingertip, and his little Sasha stays quiet, quiet, quiet, like the good little golub he really is, through cleaning, and potato starch to keep away diaper rash, till he's pinned up snug in a fresh diaper and back in his warm little clothes.

It really is cold tonight. Kolyai should tuck his baby in against his chest. But He's here. And Kolyai's luck tonight just might hold, but...

"Shh, shhh, miliy moy." Kolyai fits his treasure back in the undersized cradle. Makes sure the blankets are tucked up snug. "Ya tebya lyublyu," he whispers, and gives his baby a kiss.

Kolyai's rolled back up in his layers and just settling down when the figure looms in the doorway from the other room. Fuck. There should be something he can do, shouldn't there? It's not like he's a helpless baby, not like little Sasha there. Thirteen's a man, isn't it?

The End

xx

BurrhusFrederic@worldnet.att.net

Treasure
by Skinner Box
for Wildy
Email: BurrhusFrederic@worldnet.att.net
Summary: a companion story to Wildy's "Come to Grief"
Rating: NC-17 for serious themes and depiction of child abuse
Pairing: none
Spoilers/Timeline: Alex Krycek's infancy, in an a/u backstory to Wildy's "Come to Grief" (with permission).
Disclaimer: The X-files and Alex Krycek belong to Chris Carter and Fox Broadcasting. Kolyai and Marfa belong to Wildy. I play with them out of love and for no profit.
Thanks: To Wildy for Kolyai. To Starfish and Wildy for unblinking beta. And to Meir.
Archive: Please ask first.
Note/Warning: Wildy wrote a bruisingly beautiful story called "Come to Grief." I had the privilege of being one of the betas on it. It was an often wrenching, but curiously joyous process helping that story to take shape. The desire grew in me, as I spiraled with Alex through his frozen fall, to know where Kolyai's cruelty was born. And haltingly, in a voice not yet rough with puberty, but already cracked from a dozen other pains, Kolyai the child began to tell me...

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]