Go to notes and disclaimers


Underneath It All
by Raven


Alex put the hose down, the bucket now full of suds. As he began washing the car, a mellow reggae beat began to play on the radio, catching his ears. It suited his mood; smooth, light and happy, perfect for a Saturday afternoon in the warmth of late Spring.

"This one goes out to Alex, from the Fox that loves you."

Upstairs, peeking from his study window, Mulder saw Alex pause at the disc jockey's words, a look of moderate incredulity on his handsome face. Grinning, Mulder turned back to the computer. He'd heard the song a week ago while stuck in traffic, and it had reminded him of himself and Alex, of their relationship. When he'd noticed Alex had tuned his outdoor radio to the same station Mulder had on in the study, the song had come to mind again and, on impulse, he'd phoned in the request.

Outside, Alex listened, hands still slowly washing the car, his mind following the words as he related them to himself and Mulder.

There's times where I want something more
Someone more like me
There's times when this dress rehearsal
Seems incomplete
But, you see the colors in me like no one else
And behind your dark glasses you're...
You're something else

You're really lovely
Underneath it all
You want to love me
Underneath it all
I'm really lucky
Underneath it all
You're really lovely

A soft look came over his face as Alex remembered that first hesitant kiss.

xx

The end of the world as they had all known it had come and gone. Animosity and mistrust had been erased in the common goal of victory. After everything had been said and done, the grunt work as well as the clean-up, the final set of hearings and press releases all complete, there had just been the two of them, alone on the steps of the Hoover. Alex was a free man and Mulder had just resigned. It was late afternoon on a Sunday, and no one else was around.

Alex had been wearing dark sunglasses and, as they looked at each other, Mulder had moved closer, saying softly, "You shouldn't wear dark glasses. They hide you." He'd meant to say they hid Alex's eyes, but he let the words stand, knowing they were true.

Alex had taken them off slowly, knowing he was offering something, but unsure just what.

"Better?" Alex had sounded hesitant, shy.

"Yes." Mulder had sounded vaguely amazed.

And then, Mulder had leaned in, had kissed Alex so seriously and so sweetly, it could have been a dream.

xx

You know some real bad tricks
And you need some discipline
But, lately you've been trying real hard
And giving me your best
And, you give me the most gorgeous sleep
That I've ever had
And when it's really bad
I guess it's not that bad

You're really lovely
Underneath it all
You want to love me
Underneath it all
I'm really lucky
Underneath it all
You're really lovely

These words brought a rueful grin, Alex shaking his head slightly as he rinsed the hood. He remembered that first time, too.

xx

"Alex, babe, you can't do shit like that anymore."

The thick lashes lowered, and Alex felt himself flush. He hadn't meant to scare the guy that bad, had just wanted him to go away.

"I hate salesmen, Fox, so do you."

"Yes, but taking the sample broom away from him and telling him you can think of sixteen ways to make him a better man with it, is not the right way to handle it." Mulder couldn't help chuckling again, even as he scolded. Alex could see the amusement, but the exasperation was there, too, along with Mulder's concern.

"I know. I'm sorry, Fox. Shit, I don't think you're ever going to get me housebroken." Alex sighed, face glum.

Mulder approached his lover, taking Alex into his arms and hugging him tightly.

"I don't want you any kind of broken, Alex, house or otherwise. I love you just the way you are." Tilting Alex's head back, looking into the troubled green eyes, Mulder made sure Alex believed him on this, before teasing gently, "Though I have to admit, paper trained wouldn't be bad." Relieved when Alex grinned back, Mulder continued. "Alex, you have tons of self-discipline, I'd just appreciate it, for your sake, if you'd use some of it with the civilians."

A nod of the dark head, and Mulder kissed the top of it before going into the kitchen to start dinner. A few minutes later, Alex joined him, brows drawn together.

"What?" Mulder put the rice aside, drying his hands on the kitchen towel. He knew that look, it meant Alex had figured out something about himself that he felt he needed to share with Mulder.

"Fox, you're wrong. I was thinking about what you said, and you're wrong. I don't have a ton of self-discipline. I have almost none. But I'm very good at avoiding consequences. I do things or don't do things because I know what will happen, and make my choices based on that. It's not self- discipline at all, Fox. That's why I'm having trouble adjusting. I don't know the consequences for most of this stuff. I don't even know the rules."

Mulder worried his bottom lip with his teeth. What Alex was saying made a lot of sense, given his past. Right or wrong hadn't played a strong role, and he'd never been allowed to make choices for himself, so he hadn't learned to make good ones. Alex was right, he had very little self-discipline, just a strong instinct to avoid consequences.

"Okay. I think you're right. The question is, what do we do about it?"

"I thought about that, too. I...I guess you need to give me some consequences. It's the only way I'm ever going to learn, Fox. Just to get me started, until I get the hang of things. Look," Alex took a deep breath, brows drawn together, "I don't need a Daddy, that's not what I'm looking for here. We're equals, I like it that way. I don't need you to run my life. But I could use your help adapting to normal."

"Oh, yeah, I know from normal." Fox muttered it with a roll of his eyes, and Alex mock-glared.

"I know, you're just as fucked up as I am, but you're a well-bred fuck-up. You know the rules, Fox, you could go anywhere and blend in, if you chose. You just usually don't choose. So c'mon, help me out here." Alex grew serious again, and Mulder saw that his lover was genuinely upset. "Please, Fox? I was on the fringes a long time, and I hated every minute of it. I'm tired of being unsure, I want to know what to do and what not to do. I'm really tired of being the bad guy."

Mulder embraced Alex again, holding him close and rubbing a comforting hand up and down his back.

"You aren't bad, Alex. You never were, not really. Still, you want to change, I'll help you change. Whatever you need from me, love, I promise."

"Thanks." Alex cuddled close, soaking up the affection and the physical sensations like a sponge. At last, he eased back, looking curiously at Mulder. "So, what happens? I screw up, what do you do? What am I trying to avoid?"

Mulder moved away, checking on his food, lip between his teeth again. "I have an idea about that, Alex, but I'm not sure I like it."

"Spill."

"Okay." Mulder turned back to look at his lover. "I know you, babe. I know some of what happened to you, and I've profiled you enough to have an idea what might work best."

Alex swallowed hard, but gave no other sign of the nausea that washed over him. A cold chill ran down his spine, but he forced himself to meet Mulder's troubled hazel eyes.

"You're going to beat me?" It was a flat question, no emotion, but Mulder winced hearing it.

"No! God, no, Alex! How could you think...never mind, I know how you could think that, forget it. No, sweetheart, I will never beat you, you have my word. However," Mulder closed his eyes, continuing reluctantly, "you do respond best to physical stimuli, and you have enough of a past to make it both familiar and effective. I thought...I thought maybe a spanking would be a good choice."

Alex was silent, and when Mulder looked up with dread, he saw why. His lover was about to explode to keep from laughing. At Mulder's at first indignant, then annoyed look, Alex couldn't contain himself any longer. He burst out laughing, holding his sides and leaning against the doorframe.

"S-spanking? You can't be serious, Fox. I've been beaten by professionals, you think a couple of slaps on my ass will make me suddenly see the light?"

Mulder waited until Alex was finished laughing, then spoke quietly, "No, Alex, I don't think a couple of slaps on your ass will do anything but sting. However, I do think knowing what it costs me to give you those couple of slaps just might be very effective indeed." With that, Mulder turned his back on a no longer amused Alex, pulling the beef from the microwave and beginning to slice it carefully.

There was neither sound nor movement behind him for a long time, then Alex was by his side, face regretful.

"You're right. Knowing I forced your hand would be very effective. I'd hate that. I - I guess that makes it a good choice, huh?"

"Yes."

"It would hurt you, Fox. I don't want to hurt you."

Mulder turned, putting his arm around Alex's shoulders.

"I know. But it's worth it if it helps you. Trust me, Alex, I wouldn't offer if I didn't think I could handle it. How about you? Could you handle being spanked by me?"

"Yeah. I know you love me, I know you wouldn't try to take advantage of me or the situation."

"Then it's settled. Next time you respond inappropriately, you'll know what to expect."

With a kiss, Mulder turned back to making dinner, willing his lover not to realize how many knots the thought tied him into. Alex needed this, had actually asked for help, and there was no way in hell Mulder was going to let him down.

"Fox? I think...I think maybe you should start tonight. For the sales guy. I need to know, really know."

Swearing mentally, hoping the stirring would hide the tremor that went through him, Mulder used the cover of tasting to keep from speaking, only nodding. It gave him time to pull it together, and when he put the spoon down and turned the burners to low, he could speak again.

"Very well. I'd like this to happen on neutral territory, so to speak. Why don't we use the guest bedroom?"

"Works." Alex turned to go upstairs, Mulder following. Once there, Alex looked to him expectantly.

"What now?"

"I'm not sure, give me a minute. I've never spanked anybody before."

"Not even Scully?" It was a joke, and Mulder gratefully made a sound of amusement.

"Especially, I never spanked Scully. I'd have felt safer trying it on Skinner."

A shared laugh, and Mulder was ready. He moved to the bed, sitting on the side and pointing to a spot beside him. While he'd shielded his lover from the nerves of earlier, he made no attempt to hide his distaste for what was about to happen.

"Come here, Alex." Obediently, Alex moved to stand where Mulder pointed. "Take down your pants and underwear, please."

As his hands went to the fasten of his jeans, Alex felt himself begin to tremble. He wasn't afraid of Mulder, far from it. No, it was seeing the look on Mulder's face that was the cause.

"Over my lap, please." Mulder's voice was calm, but Alex heard the strain in it, too.

"Fox, if this is too much for you..."

"Over my lap, Alex. Now, please." It had been decided and agreed upon, it was going to happen, no matter how unpleasant they both found it. Seeing this, Alex stretched himself across Mulder's long thighs, the bed taking most of his weight, his bottom in position.

"The rule is that we do not threaten strangers with violence or worse, no matter how much they deserve it. Say the rule, Alex."

"We do not threaten strangers."

Mulder's hand came down hard on Alex's bottom, dead center of his right cheek. Alex waited for more blows, but nothing else happened. Looking over his shoulder, Alex saw that Mulder was staring down in sorrow at the red outline of his own hand. The man's face was a study in determined regret and, with a deep breath, Mulder shook himself out of it and landed a matching print on the other side.

It stung, quite a bit, but Alex didn't even flinch.

"Learn the lesson, Alex. Please, don't make me have to do this again."

Alex couldn't speak for the lump in his throat as he clearly felt a tear land on his skin, shortly before Mulder's hand sought the sit spots. Another very hard spank at the top of his thighs, and Mulder was finished.

"Done." Mulder eased Alex's clothing back into place and then helped him to sit up on the bed.

Alex took one look at Mulder's face and promptly began to cry. Mulder reached for him, comforting his lover, who was apologizing repeatedly and swearing to be good.

xx

So many moons that we have seen
Stumbling back next to me
I've seen right through and underneath
And you make me better
I've seen right through and underneath
And you make me better
Better... better...

Alex nodded to himself. God, the things they'd gone through. How many years spent hating each other? Spent trying to be the one that brought the other down? But he didn't regret it, couldn't regret it. Doing their worst to each other had let each man know the other, really know him, the way only true enemies and lovers could. They had challenged and tried and tested each other, like metals in a crucible, and what was left was pure. They had made each other better.

Real... Cause underneath it all
You are my real Prince Charmin'
Like the heat from the fire
You were always burnin'
And each time you're around
My body keeps callin'
For your touch
Your kisses and your sweet romancin'
There's an underside of you
this a man adore
Aside from your temper
Everything else secure
I know you're good for me, baby
For that, I'm sure
Cause over and over again
Me want more

Oh, yeah, Alex mused, they always wanted more. The first week they'd spent together they'd only left the bed to eat and go to the bathroom. Alex had some tricks from the trade, but Mulder's extensive viewing of the world's best and worst porn had ensured that both men had plenty to teach the other. And they were dedicated to learning it all. That had been nearly two years ago, and they still couldn't share a room without wanting to jump each other. Watching Mulder breathe made Alex horny, and apparently just breathing did the same for Mulder.

You've used up all your coupons
And all you've got left is me
And somehow I'm full of forgiveness
I guess it's meant to be

xx

"You really think we were meant to be, Fox?" It was their anniversary, a year since that kiss on the steps of the Hoover building. Mulder had planned appropriately, surprising Alex with a midnight picnic under a full moon. On the steps of the Hoover building.

The security guards were tense, but it was technically public property and Mulder and Alex weren't breaking any laws, so they simply watched with their fingers on their triggers and every camera they could spare. A bottle of wine later, Mulder had confessed that he and Alex were destined for each other, prompting Alex's question.

"Of course, we were. Alex, think about everything that happened to us. Think about everything we went through, all the shit that went down in our personal and professional lives. Through it all, through everything, there was one constant."

"And that was?"

"We were going through it together. You were the one person that would always believe me, always accept that I wasn't crazy, that what I said was possible, really was. And the same was true for you. We were mirror images of each other, Alex. And that, my love, means that we are soul mates." Clinking his glass against Alex's dramatically, Mulder tossed back the rest of his wine. "Well, that or that we should have never been allowed to exist at the same time in the same place. I get 'em confused sometimes. Want some more cheesecake?" Alex's laughter rang out like a shot.

xx

You're really lovely
Underneath it all
You want to love me
Underneath it all
I'm really lucky
Underneath it all
You're really lovely

You're really lovely
Underneath it all
You want to love me
Underneath it all
I'm really lovely
Underneath it all
And you're really lovely

As the song ended, Alex looked up at the study window. A glance at the half-washed car and his own semi-soaked tee shirt and cut-off denims, and Alex was throwing down the sponge and heading into the house. He pounded up the stairs, throwing his shirt off on the way, only to find Mulder sitting at his computer, completely naked except for his glasses, and feigning disinterest.

"Fox?"

"Yes, Alex?"

"I love you."

"I love you, too."

"Fox?"

"Yes, Alex?"

"Let's make love."

"Okay."

Standing up, Mulder took off his glasses, and turned off the radio.

THE END.

xx

raven@aeneas.net

Title: Underneath It All
Author: Raven
Email: raven@aeneas.net
Pairing: M/K
Rating: PG-13
Author's Notes: Songfic. Yes, I know, but I heard it and it was them and I had to write it. Still, fair warning, songfic. The song is "Underneath It All" by the band No Doubt. I changed one word in the lyrics, from "woman" to "man". The rest of the lyrics is unaltered in any way. If you haven't heard the song, it's in the top ten or so on the rock charts, so you can check it out easily.
Warning: contains a spanking
Summary: Deep down, they really do love each other, always have.
Disclaimer: The characters within these stories belong to Fox, 1013, CC et al. There is no profit made or intended from these stories, and they should be considered as being for entertainment purposes only.

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]