Go to notes and disclaimers


Jocks
by Raven


The whistle was loud and it was shrill. It bounced around the concrete pool area like a rubber ball, echoing and reverberating until the tiles threatened to crack. But it worked, the two young men that had been trying to pummel each other broke apart, knowing what that whistle meant.

A few feet away, their coach looked at his two charges. One was tall, slender and lithe, a born distance swimmer. His name was Mulder and he was grace personified in the water, long legs and arms eating up the laps while the handsome face grew more peaceful with every purposeful stroke. The kid would lose himself in the swimming and Skinner had pulled him out of the water by force on more than one occasion. Still, most meets found Mulder drawing praise for his devotion, his beautiful form and his lovely line.

The other kid was shorter, broader, the thicker bunched muscles telling of speed. Krycek was a pure killer in the short events and the last leg of any relay. While Mulder became lovers with the water, Krycek attacked it, vanquishing it in a blur of strong legs and hips. He loved competition, thrived on it, but Skinner couldn't ever recall the boy swimming aside from his training. He wasn't even sure Krycek liked to swim, but he was damn good at it. At meets the other racers always gave Krycek his space, not engaging him with taunts the way they did each other. Something about the little smile and the hunger in those green eyes ended any friendly teasing fast.

They were his two best boys, the stars of his program.

They also hated each other passionately.

Skinner looked at them now, checking them over visually for any damages. Aside from a bruise or two and a couple of small scratches they looked okay, if wary of him. And with good reason. Skinner had made it perfectly clear what would happen to them the next time he found them fighting, and it wasn't pleasant.

Skinner threw each of them a towel and nodded toward his office. Mulder wrapped his around his shoulders, the red speedo he always wore at practice not offering much against the chill now that he wasn't swimming. Krycek wrapped his around his waist. His own suit wasn't much larger than Mulder's, the main difference being the color. Krycek wore black swim briefs to practice, but the style and cut were very similar, so it wasn't that he didn't feel the chill. It was simply that he was remembering what Skinner had said the week before. A wet towel might offer dubious protection, but it was still protection.

"Coach Skinner, it wasn't my fault! He started..." Mulder had, as usual, begun to offer an explanation but Skinner waved it away.

"Save it, Mulder. My office, now, both of you."

They headed that way reluctantly, and Skinner took a minute to calm himself down. It wouldn't do to go in angry, neither boy responded well to anger although, if you got it just right, Mulder would cave. Of course if you didn't, there was a prima donna fit to follow. Alex didn't throw tantrums. No, get angry with Alex and all you got was a frozen Alex. If he was even aware of your presence on the earth, you didn't know it. He'd respond where appropriate, answer respectfully when he should, but it was pure sham. The real person inside the politely obedient shell was gone for the duration.

No, anger didn't work on these two, never had, never would. They required finesse. Skinner hated finesse. His coaching style had always been simple. Pick a basic, drill it until it was perfect even in your sleep, then learn another. After you had all the skills, you worked on speed and endurance. Simple.

Mulder and Krycek were far from simple. They were also responsible for the best season Skinner'd ever had since becoming a collegiate coach, and the Olympic scouts had begun sniffing around not only his swimmers but him, too.

He grabbed one of the terry robes for each boy and headed into the office to deal with his two problem children. And that was exactly how he had to deal with them. They might be nineteen, but Skinner had figured out long ago that neither boy had much positive knowledge of a father figure.

Alex had no father that Skinner could find a trace of and he'd read the boy's files back to kindergarten. Swimming had kept the kid off the streets and on the straight and narrow, but just barely. Alex had never been in serious trouble, but a look in his eyes showed that his absent father, troubled mother and lousy neighborhood had taken their toll. If he hadn't had swimming, Alex would have been a serious threat to himself and society at large.

Mulder, at first glance, should have been happy. Two parents, excellent schools and neighborhood, financial advantages, the works. But a peek under the surface revealed a hard, cold perfectionist father that seemed to almost hate his son, a mother that was only there in the physical sense and a lost sister that all the money in the world couldn't find. Mulder had been a child that was lonely to the point of abuse.

And so, Skinner had discovered each boy's weak spot. Family. Loving, caring parental concern swept past all their defenses, left Mulder and Krycek both open to change. But only if the person offering it were sincere. Skinner had watched one of the assistant coaches attempt to scold Krycek the way Skinner did. The boy had given the older man a look that freeze-dried his testicles. It was one of the few times Mulder had seemed to be in agreement with Krycek, even making eye contact and sharing an agreeing nod.

Skinner grinned at the thought, then took a deep breath, steeling himself for what was to come. He found both boys where they should be, a nose in opposite corners. Skinner stepped up behind Krycek, careful to watch the shoulders. The muscles tensed, then relaxed slightly and Skinner knew it was now safe to approach him. When he'd first begun to work with Krycek, he'd made the mistake of just coming up behind Alex and putting a friendly hand on one shoulder. A painful elbow to the gut had reminded him that you didn't just put your hand on a street dog, not unless you wanted to miss fingers.

"Here, Alex, put your arms in." Skinner helped the boy on with his robe, letting his hands rest on the shoulders for just a moment, the faintest of squeezes making the muscles relax even further.

Skinner then moved behind Mulder. He approached from the side, moving the robe a bit until he had Mulder's eye. A second more for comprehension to set in, and then Mulder extended his arm dutifully. Skinner helped him on with the robe, then briskly rubbed the slightly skinny arms. You couldn't touch gently with Mulder, not at first. He needed a rough touch to pull him out of his own head. Try a rough touch with Krycek and he'd hand you your head.

These two were going to be the death of him, he just knew it.

Taking a deep breath, Skinner leaned against his desk, crossing his arms and eyeing the second hand on the wall clock. Thirty more seconds should do it. Skinner waited patiently, silently, eyeing his clothing with a slight annoyance. He'd gotten coffee on his shirt, he'd have to change before this afternoon's meeting. He had another of the buttercream colored short sleeved polo shirts in his locker and another pair of the white coaching shorts as well. He might not like the school colors, but at least he didn't have to wear a tie all day. He hated ties.

The time up, he spoke quietly but firmly.

"Alright, boys, have a seat and we'll see if we can't work through this."

They took a chair each in front of him while Skinner continued to stand. When Mulder had pointed out one day that he only stood in front of them for the psychological advantage, Skinner had agreed, then had switched places with Mulder and proved to the sophomore psych major that he didn't need extra height to be effective. It was the last time Mulder brought it up.

Skinner looked at Krycek, seeing the usual game face, but there was a trace of guilt as well. A look at Mulder revealed a touch of genuine hurt, stronger than usual. It told him a lot but he needed to hear more.

"What happened out there, boys? You've been doing well lately, keeping your temper, staying in control around each other. What happened today?"

Silence. It was a weapon both young men had always used to good effect. It had no effect on Skinner. He simply waited them out, knowing that neither youth had his more mature ability to simply be patient. It took almost ten minutes this time, a new record. Finally, Krycek swore softly and sighed.

"It was my fault, Coach. I started it. He pissed me off and I snapped at him and we ended up fighting."

"I see. Mulder, anything to add?"

"The first punch. I...I threw the first punch. He started the argument but I started the fight."

"Krycek, response?"

"No, sir."

"Mulder, anything else?"

"No, sir."

Skinner nodded, looking down at the floor, thinking, or pretending to, for their benefit.

"Very well. The way I see it, you two are equally guilty of the same thing, just in different ways. Krycek, you started a verbal fight with Mulder, correct?"

"Yes, Coach."

"And Mulder, you started a physical fight with Krycek?"

"Yes, sir."

"I won't ask what the fight was about, except to ask if it will affect your ability to work with each other or anyone else on the team."

Two still wet heads shook and Skinner moved on.

"I'm glad to hear that. I would be happier if my two best boys could get along with each other. This juvenile need to hurt each other is dangerous and unacceptable. I care about both of you, I will not stand by and let you hurt yourselves or each other, is that understood, boys?"

A subdued acknowledgment came in unison, and Skinner resumed his gentle scolding.

"I said I won't ask what the fight was about, and I won't. But I would appreciate it if you would tell me. I want to help you, I'm trying to help you, but I'm doing this in the dark and it's easy to make a mistake. If either of you would tell me, I promise to listen without judging." He paused, not expecting a response, and was surprised when he got one.

Mulder, eyes on the ground, fingers picking at the loops of terry on the robe, asked softly, "Can I tell him?"

That this was addressed to Krycek was obvious, and Skinner kept his face neutral, very curious as to what the answer would be.

Krycek, face flushing slightly, took a deep breath, exhaled slowly and gave a reluctant nod. "Yeah. If you need to."

"H-he saw me yesterday, with one of the grad students. It was a date and Krycek saw him kiss me goodbye." Mulder paused, almost cringing as he waited for Skinner to react to the fact that he'd been kissing a guy. When no reaction came, the hazel eyes darted up briefly. Skinner was still simply listening patiently, and Mulder continued.

"We finished the cool down laps and we were getting out of the pool when Krycek started it. He called me a fag, said I should be on the girl's team, that-that I had no place on the team, swimming for you. H-he said you'd kick me off if you knew, that I was a health risk. And that you wouldn't want a fairy on your team anyway."

Tears spilled quietly down and Skinner saw that Alex had tears in his own eyes, the guilt he'd seen earlier now showing strongly.

"It-it's not true, Coach Skinner. Yeah, I'm gay, but I'm not a health hazard. I'm clean. I know, because I'm still...still a virgin." That this was almost harder for Mulder to admit than being gay, was obvious by the deep blush and hesitation before saying it.

The news had an interesting effect on Krycek. The young man gasped audibly and his head shot up and around, looking at Mulder with a full spread of emotions on his handsome face. Skinner noted it and realized what was going on, really going on with these two. He bit at the corner of his lip, trying to think, but Mulder was pleading with him now.

"It's not true, is it Coach, what he said about you not wanting me on the team? I swear, I've never let anybody know, I'll keep it a secret. I'm always the first one to change before practice and the last one after already, no one has to know why. Please, no matter what you think of me, don't cut me from the team. I'll stay clean, I'll get tested every week, whatever it takes. But don't cut me, please? I need this, Coach. It's all I've got." He whispered the last with so much raw pain it hurt Skinner to hear, looking completely defeated and demoralized. He looked broken.

"I'm not going to cut you from the team, Mulder, I promise."

Relief left the boy weak and shaking, and Skinner turned to Krycek. Skinner needed to give Mulder a minute but couldn't afford to let Krycek have a single minute more.

"Did you mean what you said to him? Is it what you honestly think and believe?" It was softly asked, and Krycek clamped his jaws together tightly, shaking his head.

"No, sir. That's not why I said it. I was just being a prick, trying to hurt him."

"But did you think I wouldn't accept him because he's gay?" Skinner had figured out this was key to what had happened with Krycek, and he was counting on the boy being brave enough to be honest about it.

"I wasn't sure." The voice was a husky whisper, pain and confusion warring with shame for the grace notes. "I didn't want it to be true. I figured you might keep him on the team anyway, he's the star and his family's got money and the other coaches like him."

"And what about you?" This time, it was Mulder's turn to startle, the young man's mind working through the puzzle now that the crucial piece had been given to him.

Krycek, his usual defenses wrecked by the emotional impact of what was being said, answered him flatly, a slightly bitter grin twisting the full mouth.

"What about me? I'm already trouble. I have no family worth mentioning, no money at all and the rest of the team hates me. The coaches have asked you more than once to get rid of me without a reason, what would they do if they knew I was gay?"

"Alex," Skinner seldom used their first names, an effort to avoid seeming favoritism, but it was warranted now, "what would I do if I knew you were gay?"

A slight tremble began in the bottom lip and continued on to a full quiver. The lashes captured tears as fast as they could, but they weren't fast enough to catch them all. With a slight hitch, Krycek took a quick breath and turned a suddenly very young face up to Skinner. It showed the full depth of the boy's misery and hurt Skinner the same way Mulder's anguished whisper had earlier.

"I'm sorry, I know I should know but I don't, not for sure. I'm too scared. I can't afford to be wrong, Coach, I don't have anything else, either." He looked over at Mulder when he said it, and his voice was more sincere than Skinner had ever heard it.

"I'm sorry, Mulder. I'm sorry I hurt you." Mulder closed his eyes for just a moment, teeth firmly embedded in his bottom lip, compassion and distrust flickering across his face. Then with a sigh, he reached out a hand to Krycek, facing him with his last ounce of courage.

"I'm sorry I hurt you, too." Krycek hesitated a long moment, then slowly held his own hand out, taking Mulder's and squeezing it tightly.

They sat there silently, eyes begging and threatening the other, apologizing and explaining, thanking and being thanked, their linked hands a symbol of a far deeper connection.

Skinner was barely breathing and hadn't dared to move even an eyebrow, afraid of ruining this precious moment for them. Finally, after several long moments, they calmed and Skinner sensed they were ready to get back to him. He noticed they didn't let go of each other, but knuckles were no longer white with the force of a desperate grip.

"I'm proud of you both, I want you to know that first and foremost. You showed me guts, you gave me honesty and you faced your fears head on, like a man should. I'm very, very proud of each of you."

This caused the hands to clasp tighter again for a moment and Skinner knew they'd needed to hear those words from somebody, anybody for a long time and he was flattered that they especially needed to hear it from him.

"Neither of you will be cut from the team, I promise. I might punish you a thousand ways from Sunday but I will not take the team away from you, you have my word on that, and I won't let anybody else take it away from you, either." Skinner paused to focus their attention on his next words, then made his voice a touch firmer.

"That includes the two of you. If you get caught fighting you'll be benched, and I am not willing to let that happen. We discussed this last time, agreed it was simply unacceptable. I told you if I caught you fighting like that again, I'd turn you both over my knee. I always keep my word, gentlemen, and today is no exception. Who's first?"

"I am." They said it in unison, and Skinner felt the tension surrounding the three of them break with the irony. He chuckled, then reached into his pocket, pulling out a coin.

"Krycek, it's your turn to call."

"Heads." The coin was already flipping when he said it, and it came up tails. Skinner showed it to each of them, then adjusted his own position on the desk.

"Come here, Fox." Mulder swallowed hard and, with a last squeeze of Krycek's hand, obeyed. Skinner had no intention of spanking long or hard but he had to follow through. It was why they trusted him, why Mulder had told and Krycek had let him. Drawing back his hand, Skinner smacked each lean cheek a dozen times. He spanked firmly but he wasn't putting anywhere near his full strength into the swats.

It seemed to be enough, judging from the quiet mutters of pain and the slight squirms coming from Mulder.

"No fighting, Mulder."

"No, sir."

A final, slightly harder slap, and Mulder was stood to his feet. The young man returned at once to his seat, wincing a bit but sitting still, the way he was supposed to sit. Skinner insisted that while they waited for the other to be spanked, they had to sit still, quiet and they had to watch.

Krycek was in position as soon as Mulder was seated, not waiting to be called. Guilt always made Krycek impatient, and he was feeling very guilty today. Skinner pondered spanking him harder, knowing he was the real instigator of their fight, but decided that the young man had suffered enough. Skinner handed Krycek the same spanking he'd given Mulder, though he took it better, gave the same caution, got the same response.

When it was over and Krycek was again standing on his own feet, not lying across Skinner's broad thigh, the older man motioned for Mulder to stand as well.

"I usually hug each of you separately. Would it be okay if I hugged you together today?" Needy emerald met shy hazel, and both of them managed a small smile as they nodded.

Skinner pulled them both in for a strong hug, smiling himself as he saw their free arms go around each other. He held them both for a long time, as long as he dared.

"I care about both of you. I'd be proud to have either of you for a son, and that's the truth. You're two very fine young men, I want you to remember that and act accordingly. Any questions?"

There weren't and Skinner ended the hug, reaching for his clipboard.

"I have a meeting, I have to go. I'll be back in about an hour. Lock up when you leave." It was permission to stay and use his office for some much needed talk, though he bet they'd share a few kisses before they left as well. The thought made him smile, even as two deeply grateful young men reached out to hold each other's hands, their words of thanks not necessary.

THE END.

xx

raven@aeneas.net

Title: Jocks
Author: Raven
Email: raven@aeneas.net
Pairing: M/K implied, sort of...
Rating: R
Warnings: contains punishment spankings
Summary: An AU about a coach and his two collegiate athletes, one of whom is about to come out.
Disclaimer: The characters within these stories belong to Fox, 1013, CC et al. There is no profit made or intended from these stories, and they should be considered as being for entertainment purposes only.

back to top



[Stories by Author] [Stories by Title] [Mailing List] [Krycek/Skinner] [Links] [Submissions] [Home]